Boxer: Protesters too well dressed to be sincere

posted at 10:55 am on August 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) appeared on Hardball last night in support of the Left’s attempt to discredit the people showing up to townhalls in protest of ObamaCare. Boxer says she can tell that they’re fakes, because they’re too well dressed.  How does she know that this is a problem?  Because well-dressed people apparently told her to get the hell out of Florida in the Bush-Gore recount, too:

That explanation is a classic.  If it’s true at all, she probably stunned the Floridians with the sheer stupidity of her non-sequitur.  Ronald Reagan would not have gone into Florida to tell them how to conduct their recount; he had too much respect for state sovereignty in those issues.  I almost laughed out loud when Boxer trotted that out on national TV.

On her main point, we’ve hosted the videos here at Hot Air.  In my recollection, the people in the town halls are dressed in T-shirts, jeans, shorts, halter tops, and the like.  Maybe the people need to strip down to their Boxers in order to be considered sincere.

Brian Walsh, communications director of the NRSC, responds to Boxer’s weird bout of sartorial paranoia:

“When you consider that Barbara Boxer considers Code Pink and MoveOn.org protestors to be ‘her base,’ it’s understandable that a Senator representing the left wing fringe would be confused when ordinary Americans engage in free speech. But the fact of the matter is that across the country, Americans of all backgrounds are standing up and saying ‘no’ to the Democrats spending and health-care takeover proposals.”

And Americans of all clothing tastes as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

BB, thy name is ignorance

daesleeper on August 5, 2009 at 10:57 AM

We’re in the very best of hands.

Mr. Bingley on August 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I hope she is in an unemployment line after the next election.

Offshore_Drilling on August 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM

So, it would be okay if I show up to protest, as I dress like a bum?

myrenovations on August 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM

what a vacuous Leftwing tool.

creatocon on August 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Love it….just another shining star from my formerly Great State of Mexifornia….

it is quite possible that this woman is the stupidest human being on planet earth….when and if she ever gets out of politics, I am sure they have a chair reserved for her on the VIEW! hey Babs, does steel melt????

SDarchitect on August 5, 2009 at 10:59 AM

stfu you racist.

SHARPTOOTH on August 5, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Boxer is too well dressed to be a prostitute, but she is–just being paid by tax-payer money rather than a john’s.

Enoxo on August 5, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Is she up for re-election? I hope she goes down too. ugh

becki51758 on August 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I take it LOGICAL thoughts used for arguments is NOT her strong suit.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM

If I’ve counted right, she should be up for reelection next year. A senator as humiliatingly disgraceful as she is should be voted out by a landslide. Alas, exactly the opposite is far more likely in her very liberal state.

jwolf on August 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM

It’s ignorant sluts like this that are bringing America to her knees.

izoneguy on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Really, is there any kind of serious challenge for her seat? Rubber dog poo is smarter than this woman.

Rebar on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Oh. My. God.

What an idiot.

Pablo on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

If ignorance truly is bliss, that lady is in a perpetual state of mental orgasm.

Patrick S on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

<—will protest in my underwear if it lends itself to my credibility.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Someone should wash her mouth out for comparing herself to Ronald Reagan. I couldn’t be happier that the polls say she may be out next election. As a generally well dressed person, I intend to donate heavily to her opponent. Good riddance to this idiotic piece of trash ( I mean Senator Trash).

LASue on August 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Yes, I was right . . . Boxer is as dumb as a rock.

rplat on August 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Carly Fiorina…is your campaign watching? This commercial writes itself!

SouthernGent on August 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM

seriously Babs?

CLUELESS!!

cmsinaz on August 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM

By Boxer’s special brand of logic, what does it say about her?

ICBM on August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

What a dope. Hurt our president and change the Congress?

Nobody wants to hurt the president. But changing Congress is what it’s all about. Starting with her seat. And she knows it.

Jaynie59 on August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I suggest streaking at future town halls.

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I always wear blue jeans, a comfortable shirt and sneakers to these kinds of things because, I’ve learned, they can last awhile and you want to be as comfortable as you possibly can be.

powerpro on August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Patrick S on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

That’s one of the best smackdowns I’ve read. :)

jwolf on August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Protesters too well dressed to be sincere

I thought the same thing when I saw this earlier.

Brooks Brothers?

What? The protesters aren’t tattooed, pachouli soaked, ripped T-shirt ner’do’wells therefore they are unauthentic?

bongo on August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Is she up for re-election? I hope she goes down too. ugh

becki51758 on August 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Yes, and I think Carly Fiorina is going after her.

right2bright on August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Next thing, Babs will be saying the protests are fake because she saw a black person at one. And Babs knows black people…

EnglishMike on August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

And she thinks they are too white to be relying on Medicare, too.

ChrisB on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Boxers for Boxer

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

<—will protest in my underwear if it lends itself to my credibility.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

You wear underwear?

Daggett on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Well, to be fair, I’ve observed that in general people who subscribe to traditional values — like working, for instance — tend to be better dressed than those who would rather feed at the public trough. It wouldn’t surprise me to find that TEA party and town hall attendees are better dressed than the likes of ACORN’s professional protesters.

These people remind me of the jealous husband who accuses his wife of running around on him when in fact HE is the cheater. People have a tendency to project all of their bad behavior on other people, and the Obama machine is clearly no exception. Memo to Barbara Boxer (and maybe she can pass this around to all of the other O-drones): Just because that’s the sneaky, underhanded way your side operates, don’t assume it’s how we do business. We’re actually a lot smarter and more well informed than you give us credit for. And a lot of us have actually bothered to read the bill.

NoLeftTurn on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Style over substance!

BB could care less about their substance – she dislikes their style!

Classic ‘emotions over facts’.

rockbend on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

<—will protest in my underwear if it lends itself to my credibility.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Don’t forget the boots and undershirt.

ICBM on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I thought Republicans were all RICH. Logically wouldn’t they be better dressed?

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Do they even realize they are making it worse for themselves? I certainly hope not. The stupidity, condescenion and utter disregard is turning out to be the greatest gift of all. Choke on it, Coco Chanel.

sherry on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Protesters too well dressed to be sincere

I’ve been wondering something for years; maybe someone can finally answer this question: does it really hurt to be this stupid? I know the rest of us suffer in the presence of idiots, but does the idiot suffer as well?

Rebar on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Carly Fiorina’s trying.

Vic on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Yes, and I think Carly Fiorina is going after her.

right2bright on August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

And Chuck Devore.

myrenovations on August 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM

BB is use to smelly lefty protestors in old clothes. These (protestors) are middle and main stream Americans that are too busy raising their families to protest. However, on this issue, they are taking time out of their busy schedule to show up.

She is also in damger of lossing her seat this year.

Oil Can on August 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Don’t forget the boots and undershirt.

ICBM on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

First things first. Checking underwear for holes and skid marks.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Is this how it happens? Our representatives refuse to listen to us because they think we’re fringe? How many do we need to mass at their doorsteps before they take us seriously and ACTUALLY REPRESENT US?! Taxation without representation, indeed.

hogfat on August 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Paranoia. Fall. Assembly required.

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Dumber than a Box(er) of rocks.

JammieWearingFool on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Burlap sacks or barrel with suspenders anyone?

Laura in Maryland on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

The antithesis of her argument “Designed to hurt the president” is that it is to “Help the country”

let’s see if Chris picks up that meme

not holding breath in 3…2….2…2..2….

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Boxer sure has been on a roll offending people!

Vanbasten on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

This from a Botoxed babe with a bad streak job. Ms. Boxer, what the **** does it matter how people dress??? Does “the content of their character” ring any bells?

MochaLite on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

She is also in damger of lossing her seat this year.

Oil Can on August 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM

yeah! get her outta there!!

cmsinaz on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Boxer followed up by saying, “They’re too old, too question-y, too angry with us, too extremist, too nonviolent, too educated, too employed, too cynical of our benevolence and too good at embarrassing us as the frauds we are to be sincere protesters.”

Good Lt on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Be prepared for the next best-seller on the NYT. ” Dressed for Sincerity”.

ICBM on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I guess everyone looks better dressed by comparison when you’re used to your protesters wearing pink bunny suits and carrying magic wands.

World B. Free on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Folks, BB may be stupid, but this is not an example of HER stupidity. She is doing what she has been told to do. I’ts the DNC that acting, er, “stupidly”

Dont let them dictate the reaction! Dress any way you damn well please. Just be there, and challenge the media and the stooges to call you an astroturfer.

JusDreamin on August 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I thought she was gonna start to cry there at the end…’this all to hurt our president…’
boo frickin hoo.

dont taze me bro on August 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM

So Barbara Boxer is a “Mobber”? One who doesn’t believe the protests are genuine?

How come the “birthers” take crap (even from HotAir) when it comes to them making allegations about something that has never been “seen” by anyone but …

The “Mobbers” … like Boxer – are allowed to get away with making allegations about something that CAN BE SEEN?

Who’s the greater lunatic here?

When is Chris Mathews going to start with his new “gotcha” question? Asking Democrats if they believe the people at these protests are “real people”?

Keep it – if you don’t see us yet – we’ll just have to show up in greater numbers and SHOUT LOUDER.

On another note – I’ve been shot down by my Tea Party organizers repeatedly because I recommended we wear anti-Obama t-shirts to the rallys. They wanted none of it – they wanted us to dress up in suits and stuff. Maybe Boxer’s remarks will allow us to become a bit more slovenly and nasty with our attire.

I want to wear the Obama Joker T-Shirt to the next rally by dammit!

HondaV65 on August 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Burlap sacks or barrel with suspenders anyone?

Laura in Maryland on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM

LOL….Bib overalls, no shirt or shoes/socks. CLASSIC DEM honest protestor look.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM

“Too well-dressed” is a pathetic attempt to play the Class Envy card. These liars are shameless.

marklmail on August 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM

At the next town hall meeting gentlemen should rent tuxes with tails,top hats and spatterdashes. Ladies should wear evening gowns with their finest costume jewelery…or…just wear speedos and string bikinis.

sdd on August 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

All kidding aside, are we witnessing the planting of seeds that might lead to an armed uprising against the government?

I’m not condoning this or hoping that it will happen, but we are witnesses a REMARKABLE series of actions where government officials are willingly and deliberately turning their back on their constituents.

Worse, they are ridiculing, insulting and belittling them.

The Dems appear more than willing to vote the way THEY want to vote and NOT the way their constituents want them to vote.

What is going to happen if/when they continue this same escalation of abuse toward the people they represent?

What is going to happen if/when they get voted out of office? They’ve shown no interest in following the will of the voters now, will they refuse to leave office?

At the very least, their attempts to bully and intimidate their angry base is only going to make their base even angrier.

Unless they start to back down, this is going to get much, much uglier.

Religious_Zealot on August 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

So can she tell us how they dress at a SF Gay Pride Parade?

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Sen. Boxer:
Would you prefer pajama clad protesters? Or maybe naked protesters, because that’s the kind of fleecing that this health care plan is going to do to taxpayers for generations to come that will have to pay for this through higher taxes and lower quality of care.

lawhawk on August 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Come on, Californians, get rid of this arrogant, ignorant person and strip her of her “Senator” title that she “worked so hard to get” by pandering to nutcases.

Christian Conservative on August 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I guess the protesters would have looked more authentic if they showed up dressed like unemployed welfare whores, illegal aliens, or elitist trust fund college students.

mizflame98 on August 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

But were these peasants wearing JEANS? Because that would spell the end of the Republic.

/georgewill

Cuffy Meigs on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Actually, this problem should solve itself soon enough. Once Babs and her pals ram this needed reform home over the wishes of the overdressed hoi polloi, the protesters will no longer have the money to buy nice clothes and they will begin to look like the hillbillies that Boxer imagines them to be. Progress!

Mr. D on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Boxer and Tingles Matthews talking about “Brooks Brothers protestors” and “hurting our president”. Race card by the week-end, people. Race card. Whitey wants to lynch the black man. By the week-end, on MSNBC.

Marcus on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I thought Republicans were all RICH. Logically wouldn’t they be better dressed?

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

You should have been at our tax-day teaparty. The men were handsome in their tuxes with tails, tophats and monocales. I wore my best evening gown and tiara and was still underdressed.

Laura in Maryland on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

That’s MY SENATOR!

No wonder California is in so much disarray.

I’m doing the facepalm manuever every time she’s on….

originalpechanga on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

creatocon on August 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM

That’s Senator Leftwing Tool…she worked hard for that title thank you very much!
/sarc

cmsinaz on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

What’s amazing is that anyone with the native intelligence of a rabbit can memorize the BIG BRO talking-points fax so flawlessly…

Ragspierre on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I don’t care if the Republican challenger is the gay atheist pro-choice love child of Olympia Snowe and Lindsey Graham, I’ll give money to whatever R knocks her out in November!

battleoflepanto1571 on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Just because lib protesters look like they just got off a 60 day bender doesn’t mean conservatives have to. All are entitled to their own opinions there, Boxer.

Moron.

mjk on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Shut the fck up, ma’am.

BPD on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Um, no.

An electoral uprising? Sure.

Good Lt on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

My my, Boxer is up for re-election in 2010, along with…

Reid
Schumer
Dodd
Leahy
Specter

I hope their constituents grow brains by then.

Monica on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

This c**t is insulting to so many people on so many levels, and all in less than one minute.

“We wouldn’t want to insult the president” – screw us as a nation BB, just do what makes ogabe “feel good” – mentally insane this one (alford was right)

Ris4victory on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I’ll wear my tangerine speedo to the next town hall.

Alden Pyle on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

TOGA!! TOGA11 TOGA!!

Dire Straits on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I see white people.

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

So, since Barabara Boxer dresses like a middle-aged gold-digger, she herself is saying that everything she says is a lie.

Why do I find it hard to believe her?

logis on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Laura in Maryland on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Damn. You had me beat in my bridesmaid gown from the 1980′s (complete with hoop) and Dolce and Gabbana shoes at the tea party here.

mjk on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

LOL!!!

I suggest demonstrations….black tie ones!!!!
Let’s do this!

bridgetown on August 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I’ll wear my tangerine speedo to the next town hall.

Alden Pyle on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Go naked. That would make an impression.

mjk on August 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM

How about Bermuda shorts with wing tips, black socks and an old Hang Ten pullover.

sdd on August 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM

<—will protest in my underwear if it lends itself to my credibility.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Save your underwear. Soon we’ll all be wearing barrels, and we’ll need something underneath.

ChrisB on August 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.

NoFanofLibs on August 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

MSNBC has successfully transformed itself into an entertainmnet channel. It’s becoming fun to watch and see who can make the stupidest comment or argument. Their credibility as a news organization is shot so they can now serve a purpose – to provide laughter during this period of malaise.

sherry on August 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

They don’t.

either orr on August 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

How in the world did we let these people get control of the government?

Cindy Munford on August 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I’ll wear my tangerine speedo to the next town hall.

Alden Pyle on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

MY EYES!…MY EYES!!

sdd on August 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Being from California, what Boxer considers appropriate dress.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Shut the fck up, ma’am.

BPD on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

That’s “Shut the fck up, Senator“. She’s worked hard for that.

ChrisB on August 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Maybe she was confused because the ones protesting are dressed like citizens with jobs. You know, the folks who are going to be stuck with the tab for this steaming pile.

SailorDave on August 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM

RE: Too well dressed….??

I do a magnificent impression of a homeless guy…

so I have to be dripping sincerity.

Have authenticity, will travel…..you pay expenses, just tell me time and place with sufficient lead time.

Skandia Recluse on August 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Wear the Joker T-Shirt!

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Is that a tea bag on Boxer’s chin?

crash72 on August 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM

We can only hope and pray that they had the decency to say;

“Get the hell out of Florida, SENATOR!

Star20 on August 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM

She’s horrible. Btw, I wonder how much she spends on her wardrobe.

CP on August 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

***
One of the above posters compared Senator Barbara Boxer (D-Kalifornia) to a prostitute.
***
This reflects badly on the “working girls”. They take our money and provide a desired service. Babs and her “democratic” / liberal / socialist / statist / marxist / communist clowns just STEAL OUR MONEY AND “REDISTRIBUTE” IT to their buddies as they make themselves rich.
***
The people at the two TEA PARTIES I attended looked like a typical cross-section of American People–all races, ages, ethnic groups were there. They were respectful and serious about preserving our country. Babs is the real prostitute in this story–she doesn’t even provide a parting BESO after s****ing us over.
***