ABC at health-care townhall: Gee, the anger here seems authentic

posted at 6:09 pm on August 5, 2009 by Allahpundit

Of course it does, silly. Isn’t the whole point of astroturfing to “manufacture outrage”? That’s why we need to inform on these people at that White House e-mail address or start investigating them the way Clinton zombie Lanny Davis wants us to do. Only by violating their privacy will we intimidate them expose their nefarious charade.

Incidentally, what happened here to the left-wing playbook of making sure right-wingers can’t talk to reporters?

There were no lobbyist-funded buses in the parking lot of Mardela Middle and High School on Tuesday evening, and the hundreds of Eastern Maryland residents who packed the school’s auditorium loudly refuted the notion that their anger over the Democrats’ health care reform plans is “manufactured.”

“I went to school in this school,” a man named Bob told me. “I don’t see anyone in this room that isn’t from Mardela Springs right now.”

“We’ve been quiet too long,” said a woman named Joan…

“I am here because I understand that I do represent you folks, okay?” Kratovil said, after entering the auditorium to applause. “The opinions that you folks have, I need to know. There are legitimate concerns.”

Just then, someone in the audience shouted back, “Our freedom is being taken from us!”…

“You’re deceiving us! You’re trying to shove this stuff through,” one woman yelled.

“I’m not! But I hear you,” Kratovil pleaded.

“This bill is un-American,” said another voter, who asked whether Kratovil has read it.

“I am reading it right now,” he said.

Kratovil’s the guy whom some nut hung in effigy last week so the allegations that these events are teeming with crackpots aren’t so much wholly invented as widely exaggerated. Even so, as John Cornyn said today in a letter to Obama, “I am not aware of any precedent for a President asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure speech that is deemed ‘fishy’ or otherwise inimical to the White House’s political interests.” Follow the link for the full letter, which poses the dizzying question of what the reaction would have been like had Bush pulled this. That thought experiment illustrates as well as anything I can think of just how deep in the tank for The One the media is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Allah? Have they violated the law? Seems like it to me, but you’re the one with modest legal training.

The Apologist on August 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Well my legal training is as modest as anyone and I say clearly they have, yet again.

Luka on August 5, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Two Three words: Stealth Minivans.

highhopes on August 5, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Elections have consequences, highhopes, consequences.

IrishEi on August 5, 2009 at 7:31 PM

the first thing I did when I saw flag@whitehouse.gov was send it an email

Subject “I’m ready to snitch”

Message “hey Obama go fuck yourself”

In the words of Dick Cheney. One of my favorite sayings.

dip it in cider on August 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM

my fear is that no matter how many of us turn out at town halls and ask the tough questions of our representatives, we are going to marginalized (that effort has already begun and will ramp up quickly) and the bill will be passed in the fall. We won’t have any opportunity to do anything effective until the 2010 elections and will it then be too late?

Willie on August 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Grow a pair. Are you really that easily demoralized by the sorry attempts of the left to paint genuine discord in the American public as some type of fringe view?

Move to France.

Joe Caps on August 5, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I think the worm is beginning to turn. If anything the media despite their recent activism is a creature that is dependant on it’s audience for survival (sort of like a leach). I think they are beginning to realise that the public isn’t buying Obama’s snake oil anymore and that their perceived and very real activism on his behalf could wind up blowing up in their faces as people come to identify the media’s culpability in the damage Obama’s post American Presidency is causing. In short the media is loosing its credibility and as a direct consequence its audience, as evidenced by their falling circulation and TV viewership numbers.

Hellrider on August 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I’m loving John Cornyn. The last line of his letter:

Do your own past statements qualify as “disinformation”? For example, is it disinformation to note that in 2003 you said, “I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer universal health care plan”?

txag92 on August 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Hellrider on August 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I told my dad that this whole media cover-up will blow up for the media if he becomes President. I said the general public will not blame themselves when the True Obama comes out and the thing falls apart and at that point they will look for someone to blame and they will conclude it was the media that lead them down the primrose path instead of doing their jobs.

Conan on August 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM

At this afternoon’s health care town hall in Brunswick, Georgia on the southern coast, Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga) was talking to a packed house of over 375 people+overflow when he was interrupted and handed a note. He told the crowd that NBC or ABC (I think NBC but I can’t be sure) news wanted to interview him, but they would have had to move to another room and he was busy. They threatened to go on the air with the statement that Rep. Kingston refused to talk to them if he didn’t. He told them to wait. The crowd applauded. And was polite and interested and non-screaming, with only one college professor idiot in attendance who was answered and then shut up.

bradley11 on August 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM

As Rush has said, ‘the media have met their Waterloo, and it is obama’

lukespapa on August 5, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Next townhall meeting that is scheduled in my area, I am showing up dressed in rags with boxer shorts over the slacks with Ma’am senator painted on the boxers.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Too Much Utopia On Their Minds

The Press:

My mind is clearer now.
At last all too well
I can see where we all soon will be.
If you strip away The myth from the man,
You will see where we all soon will be. Obama!

You’ve started to believe
The things they say of you.
You really do believe
This talk of God is true.
And all the good you’ve done
Will soon get swept away.
You’ve begun to matter more
Than the things you say.

Listen Barry I don’t like what I see.
All I ask is that you listen to me.
And remember, I’ve been your right hand man all along.
You have set them all on fire.
They think they’ve found the new Messiah.
And they’ll hurt you when they find they’re wrong.

I remember when this whole thing began.
No talk of God then, we called you a man.
And believe me, my admiration for you hasn’t died.
But every word you say today
Gets twisted ’round some other way.
And they’ll hurt you if they think you’ve lied.

I am frightened by the crowd.
For we are getting much too loud.
And they’ll crush us if we go too far.
If they go too far….

Listen, Barry, to the warning I give.
Please remember that I want us to live.
But it’s sad to see our chances weakening with every hour.

All your followers are blind.
Too much Utopia on their minds.
It was beautiful, but now it’s sour.
Yes it’s all gone sour.

mankai on August 5, 2009 at 8:05 PM

I reserve my right to hang politicians in effigy thank you very much.

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 8:07 PM

“Said another of the anger, which sounded very much to her like what she hears on Fox News and conservative talk radio, “If it’s not manufactured, they’re brainwashed.”

The bubble boys and bubble girls at ABC must be running the show.

Mojave Mark on August 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM

OC – I’ll be the crazy lady sitting beside you dressed in a tie-dyed
t-shirt with a pair of boxer shorts over my head.

When is Ben’s townhall meeting?

yoda on August 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Just as I predicted, the angry oldsters are off-putting. But then, the DNC went and mucked up again by suggesting that everyone was paid by lobbyists to show up.

Good gravy, how dumb can you get.

AnninCA on August 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM

In the words of Dick Cheney. One of my favorite sayings.

dip it in cider on August 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Robot Chicken did a skit about that saying with Cheney as Iron Man. I thought it was hilarious, and it really only made me like him more.

Esthier on August 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM

OC – I’ll be the crazy lady sitting beside you dressed in a tie-dyed
t-shirt with a pair of boxer shorts over my head.

When is Ben’s townhall meeting?

yoda on August 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I googled ben nelson town hall meeting and couldn’t find a date. I did find this, though. I’ll be honored to sit with you, even if we have to go to IA or KS for a meeting in hostile territory.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM

The bubble boys and bubble girls at ABC must be running the show.

They’re too brainwashed to realize that Fox and talk radio are saying what we’re thinking, not the other way around.

single stack on August 5, 2009 at 8:56 PM

…as John Cornyn said today in a letter to Obama, “I am not aware of any precedent for a President asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure speech that is deemed ‘fishy’ or otherwise inimical to the White House’s political interests.”

I think Woodrow Wilson and his CPI (Committee on Public Information) did exactly this type of intimidation.

anuts on August 5, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I think…that the Democrats and Obama don’t intend to ever give up power…they are planning a Chavez. an Ahmanutjob or a Zelaya…what else could explain them giving the finger to Americans with such confidence of no backlash?

Ifyiou don’t own a shotgun, gun and ammo I suggest you get cracking…

CCRWM on August 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM

if you don’t not Ifyiou don’t

CCRWM on August 5, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I reserve my right to hang politicians in effigy thank you very much.

And how about a ritual tar and feathering as indulged by our revolutionary ancestors from time to time?

Don’t tread on me.

vnjagvet on August 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Nebraska Townhall Meeting
OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Sorry OC, I’ve blogged so many times tonight I forgot where I posted about the townhall meeting. We have 200 signatures that will be sent to Senator Nelson over this Health Scam and I hope to make it to a townhall meeting if he has one.

I know, you’ll be the one with Ma’am on your boxer shorts and I’ll be the crazy lady in the corner yelling for more chocolate pudding.

yoda on August 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Boxer was my senator for thirteen years before I moved back to Omaha from San Diego. I have a vested interest in this.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Sorry you had to put up with Ma’am for 13 years.

There are too many insurance companies in Omaha for Ben Nelson to vote for the Health Scam. He still needs to be reminded that we are tired of all of this spending, so I will be watching for one of his meetings and hope I can attend.

yoda on August 5, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Willie on August 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Move to France.

Joe Caps on August 5, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I concur with Willie. I’m not saying that folks shouldn’t try, but I think all the ‘real stuff’ is happening somewhere in the background. In fact, I can’t really see why this health care bill in itself is really so damn important…? It can’t be.

They’re up to something.

France? Hmmm. I wouldn’t mind, but I don’t think Paris…too expensive and the suburbs sound scary. Perhaps Provence?

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 5, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 5, 2009 at 11:41 PM

I think the health care bill is just a blank check to be filled in later. It’s got to be stopped.

ddrintn on August 6, 2009 at 12:23 AM

So much hypocrisy and irony…half of the time I’m angry, the other half I’m ROFL!

budorob on August 6, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Willie on August 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 5, 2009 at 11:41 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2009 at 12:23 AM

my my. Our Founders would have been very proud to see such fire the belly responses from present-day Americans. Go slither into a safe hole somewhere … preferably far away from me, because I haven’t the patience for you. Give up if you so choose. I for one believe that our country was founded upon bigger principles, and that those are worth every discussion, each bit of pursuasion and argument, and if necessary, I will fight and battle against all odds to remain free and keep my children so. At the very least, the likes of Nancy Pelosi and her ilk are not going to be the ones to wrest my freedom and opportunity from my hands!

WraithRat on August 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM

ddrintn on August 6, 2009 at 12:23 AM

… sorry ddrintn. After re-reading your input, I believe I included you with the other snakes and you didn’t belong. My apologies.

Rat