Another Blue Dog faces his constituents on health care

posted at 10:35 am on August 4, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Democracy can be a dangerous thing … for incumbents who pass bad policy, or even attempt to defend it.  Jim Hoft at Gateway Pundit and Doug Ross have the latest evidence of this, a town-hall meeting on ObamaCare in Ohio’s 1st CD, represented by Democrat Steve Dreihaus.  In this case, Dreihaus has even more to explain after winning his seat on a claim of fiscal conservatism, as Dreihaus also voted for cap-and-trade, which will make Ohio’s coal industry vanish along with hiking energy costs on his constituents.  Yesterday, though, ObamaCare made them angry enough:

Driehaus did his best to maintain a facade of support. His town-hall organizers took only written questions and started off the meeting warning about “Teabaggers,” a term that they apparently didn’t know or care was a sexual slur intended to insult the very fiscal conservatives Dreihaus claims to represent. That strategy didn’t last long, however, as Doug’s correspondent Amalaur reported from the meeting:

Driehaus began with a canned statement of the typical Obama talking points and the crowd grew increasingly angry. A guy behind me yelled “Stop filibustering!” at about 7:15, at which point Driehaus gave in. He then started answering the written questions, mostly softball, that were picked out for him. The crowd started to get really rambunctious. One guy kept yelling out, “That was lie number (whatever)” when Driehaus repeated some nonsensical talking point like that there are 47 million uninsured.

You could hear a bunch of Tea Partiers outside yelling. Finally, enough attendees were sufficiently disruptive that Driehaus began taking real questions. There were a lot of good ones, about illegal immigrants covered under the bill… how the government couldn’t run cash-for-clunkers, how could it run health care… etc.

I would say the ratio of those opposed to ObamaCare and single-payer ran about 8-to-1 (maybe more). In fact, when the “public option” was raised and people yelled that would destroy competition, one of the Obamatons screamed, “the public option is competition!”. The guy next to me erupted, “No, it’s MARXISM!”

The good news is that people are educated about what the public option is, which basically is a disaster for private insurance. One questioner noted that you could go on the Internet and get access to about 14,000 different health insurance quotes with reviews and so on. She wanted state portability. Driehaus, of course, ignored that part.

You know how to tell that your town-hall meeting was a flop? Your constituents start chanting to vote for … the guy you beat in the last election. Former Rep. Steve Chabot lost OH-01 by 15,000 votes last November, but at least some of those voters may be feeling nostalgic for Chabot about now.

Update: Rep. Steve Kagan (D-WI) discovers that his constituents aren’t terribly happy, either, and the local news covers it pretty well (via Michelle):

Kagen called this a “listening session,” and he has more planned, including one this morning. Let’s hope he’s listening closely.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

AnninCA

What non-profit do you work for?

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Most people are very happy with Medicare. I know, that most seniors would be appalled to see it taken away.

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Wow now that was sheer genius! Of you once you put people on the system/dole/entitlements they never want to get off! But, here’s an interesting concept it also, keeps people in fear! And that is what the government wants to control the people!

When the people fear the government it is Tyranny! When the government fears the people it is Liberty
Thomas Jefferson

xler8bmw on August 4, 2009 at 12:59 PM

If one wants to really think about where Ann’s view has been developed simply put AnninCA into the google search engine and click the search button. Whoops!

Of course she will claim that it is a different AnninCA and half of the HuffPo members are not on her favorites list.

Yoop on August 4, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Oh, and the US Postal Service

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Guess you weren’t paying attention this morning when USPS announces it would be closing hundreds of post offices to cut cost.

Just think. A hospital closing near you soon.

HoustonRight on August 4, 2009 at 1:01 PM

From my view as a former corporate guy, your respondent just thought your message was weird and he palmed you off to the proper department – HR – who would promptly make you go away.

guntotinglibertarian on August 4, 2009 at 12:54 PM

No doubt. I didn’t expect a reply at all.

The page from which I sent the e-mail was about employment. I assume they probably thought it was a hoax but corp. nerds are all about CYA. They now have something to twitter about over lattés.

davidk on August 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Oh, one final point more on topic.

I am suspicious that the disruptions are going to backfire. It’s just my guess, but I’m betting you’ll see a lot more sympathy for the Dems trying to do the townhalls in a few days, maybe by the end of the week.

My own political take? People can’t stand ACORN because of planned disruptions, and they aren’t going to like these either.

It won’t matter that it’s aging people on the screen. In fact, that may work against the protests. It looks a bit selfish to see people who obviously are on Medicare griping about anyone else being offered a chance to purchase insurance for their families.

That’s a risk and a real one.

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I’ve met a MILLION AnninCA’s in my life.

They basically “feel” first, and “think” second.

AnninCA has the triple whammy:

1. She saw the propaganda movie “Sicko”
2. She BELIEVED ‘Sicko’
3. She was surprised that paying for the world’s greatest medical care has a price tag

So what’s a girl to do? Most would say ‘shop for a plan that fits you and pay for it’, but instead, because of her Sicko-induced “awakening”, she “feels” that health care should be “free” (ie: payed for by us)

It’s quite a quandary: it’s like the first time a toddler realizes that getting toys in store requires MONEY. It’s a total upheaval of a worldview.

So what will Ann Do?

She has two choices: shop around for a better plan, or PROJECT her own silly hopes and dreams onto ObamaCare (ie: grass is always greener)

Sadly, she chose the projection method, and now, for AnninCA, ANY ACTUAL DOWNSIDE to ObamaCare is illegitimate, and ObamaCare is THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE HER ‘FEELINGS’.

Just read her comments. She is inventing a separate reality. “The whole country is behind this!” “Americans have spoken!” “The system is broken!” “Americans are unhappy!” “Health care is in a crisis!”

Ask her about the cost, the lack of public support, the failed government health programs right now, the stifling of medical innovation, the wait times of govt health care…. and she says….

“Who cares? I FEEL like EVERYONE needs to CHANGE…

….because i saw ‘Sicko’ and it made me cry!!!!!!!!!!!!”

battleoflepanto1571 on August 4, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Chainsaw56 on August 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Yeah well you know it’s the liberals that think there is money trees on the capitol lawn! The very same people that think it rains gum drops, rainbows in the sky everyday and puppies and kittens NEVER grow up!

xler8bmw on August 4, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Oh, one final point more on topic.

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Idiot. They are yelling about “WHY ARE YOU TAKING AWAY MY HEALTH INSURANCE”

yeah…. REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL selfish.

Here you go ann:

thought id let you know the price has come down on your favorite DVD:

battleoflepanto1571 on August 4, 2009 at 1:05 PM

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Run along now the people w/the white coats are calling you!

xler8bmw on August 4, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Geez, the other night , I’m walking down Stockton Blvd, and this crazy women comes from out of nowhere, screeching at me about pony money.
I ran the other way and got out of there, but it was touch and go.
Was that you AnninCA?

Chainsaw56 on August 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM

“AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM”

i love how it takes ~1/2 the day for the “talking point of the moment” to coalesce, and then viola — it shows up in a post …

Buckaroo on August 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM

They got government housing/apartments, subsistence, doctors visits, their meds and what have you. They sat around all day smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee and watching TV.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Hmm. Sounds like some of my relatives. Total deadbeats. One has been sponging off the rest of us over 40 yrs.

davidk on August 4, 2009 at 1:07 PM

AnninCA

What non-profit do you work for?

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Don’t know about her, but since about half my money goes to the Government … .

davidk on August 4, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Hey, when you’re the opposing opinion, it is impossible. If I respond to every challenge, I’m hijacking. If I don’t, I’m lying. LOL*

I get the game. (And yes, I really should have stuck with the topic, but it was fun while I had my coffee here to debate a bit.)

Anyway, I really will let you guys go forth and disagree without interruption.

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM

This “health” care bill will cover illegals. Millions of us will be paying not to insure the uninsured, but to give health care to millions and millions of illegals.

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Anninca is a testament to the great public eductaional system we have here in California….. I bet Ann used to live in Sacramental.

jbh45 on August 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Let’s take Ann’s ridiculous liberal troll arguments and dissect them.

Well, I’ve always wanted this. So it’s a long-time interest. I’ve been a regular person in life, meaning job changes, etc. And it seemed to me that it would have been more secure if there had been some kind of plan that was available rather than focus so much attention on job/employer who offered the best benefits. I can see I might have personally taken a few more risks with smaller companies had this been around.

Under the Obama plan, many companies except the largest will drop their health plans, in favor of the gov’t plan. All except the rich and those lucky enough to work for companies that care about their employees (very few of us) will have to remain concerned about the job’s benefit package, unless you want to receive the same sub-standard care that poor people in the current gov’t system receive. Or for that matter our veterans. I think that conservatives are in favor of making insurance more portable, but the way to do that is something like the bipartisan plan touted by McCain (which Obama demagogued) that would tax the health care benefits provided by employers and then provide people with a tax credit which would cover purchasing health insurance.

So everyone else must be on a subpar Medicaid-like plan just because your son cannot find affordable health insurance?

Third, I really do see that the insurance companies were using some of the same profit-making tactics that I saw going on in finance. I don’t know why that’s happening, other than sheer greed.

Yes… private businesses are in the business of making money. This is how capitalism works. I don’t think that the insurance companies are doing anything more egregious than would be done under a gov’t system. In fact, you’d probably be more likely to get sub-par care under the gov’t system than the current private system. (See Obama and the evil tonsil removing doctors).

Fifth, I think I was strongly influenced when I read that millions of dollars in one Texas hospital came down to emergency care treatment for 11 patients with chronic disease. Not all, but some of those diseases COULD have been managed had the patients had the ongoing care.

And those people will continue to show up in the ER… Do you think that some homeless guy who has serious mental issues is going to call up and make an appointment for a doctor? Or some migrant tomato pickers from Mexico who can barely speak English? The poor people who know how to use the system are already signed up for the gov’t healthcare programs that exist and know how to access the free clinics in their neighborhoods. Those that don’t likely have severe problems that extend beyond money or lack of education.

Illinidiva on August 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Karenmg, 7/25/2009 12:19:57 PM (No. 5718952)

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” Mahatma Gandhi

We are currently at Ghandi’s stage three.

We are no longer silenced or cowed by little twerps or big Chicago bullies. Necessity makes even the timid brave.

luvstotango on August 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM

AnninCA,

I’ve asked you about a dozen times over multiple threads if you’ve ever lived under a socialized/national healthcare system. It’s a simple yes or no question which have always failed to answer. Why?

DarkCurrent on August 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Hospice care is something my generation is familiar with, since it’s really helped a lot with our own families. We trade stories alot about how it works, what’s really good, etc.

Believe me, it’s just so much better than hospital care at that point in life. For everyone.

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Not if it’s forced on you.

NJ Red on August 4, 2009 at 1:12 PM

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM

You’re not the opposing opinion … you’re the La Raza talking point.

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Anyway, I really will let you guys go forth and disagree without interruption.

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Ann, just tell me this:

1. Why are you d%mning my health care to pay for yours?

2. If you LIKE govt health care so much why not join the military and sign up for TriCare?

3. How many times have you seen ‘Sicko’? Of the total viewings, how many times did you cry?

4. Did you care about ‘health care reform’ BEFORE seeing sicko?

5. You still havent ever posted a non-weighted poll that says “americans want obamacare”!!!! Where is it?

battleoflepanto1571 on August 4, 2009 at 1:12 PM

“AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM”

a ramble rife in vapidity, even by your “standards” …

/just go away
//sadly, they never seem to

Buckaroo on August 4, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I am a military Veteran, I retired from the USAF and when I originally enlisted I was promised free health care for life, for me and my family if I completed 20 years or more. Well that promise was broken when they made the Tricare system because I now have to pay an insurance for health care, but it wasn’t unbearable because the premiums in the past were low. Well now the costs are going up, alot, and now I am mad that I went from a promise of free health care to costly. I feel that this will happen to Americans if they give up the freedoms they currently have with health care. They promise free or low cost now, but with the Govt. and especially Obama, promises are made to be broken.

SGinNC on August 4, 2009 at 1:15 PM

SGinNC on August 4, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Best. Post. On. The. Thread.

What happens if, in say, 2015, Obama says “ok, now we’re changing all of the system and its going to COST YOU!!!”

There will no longer be any BlueCrossBlueShields to run off to, and we’ll all be screwed

battleoflepanto1571 on August 4, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Dan Pfeiffer, the White House deputy communications director, said: “We intend to use a lot of the grassroots viral Internet techniques from the campaign to beat back the campaign of misstatements and outright falsehoods about the president’s efforts to reform health insurance.”

Don’t feed the Astroturfing trolls.

elduende on August 4, 2009 at 1:20 PM

“president’s efforts to reform health insurance

heh — they are gonna ride that demonization ’till it can’t focus group at all!
:-)

Buckaroo on August 4, 2009 at 1:21 PM

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 12:39 PM

You really are a daft twit.
Donate your own money to charity to help those without ins. Do not touch my money or my insurance plan. And as heartless as it sounds, I really don’t give a rats dirty rear about your son. His lack of health ins. is his problem and/or yours. I have my own family to worry about and take care of. You CHOSE to have a child, take care of your child. Do not expect others to do so for you. Personal responsibility. Teach it to your son.
As for the 11 idiots in the TX emergency room, if they chose not to get themselves ongoing care they made a personal choice. I don’t want to hear the “but they didn’t have health ins so they couldn’t afford it” crap from you. Personal responsibility. If you have no health ins you can still see a specialist. You just have to pay your bill. Choose not to get the new car, new flat screen TV, go on vacation, smoke 2 packs a day, buy the Jimmy Choos. Whatever. Personal Responsibility. I managed it. One of the women at I believe Keith Ellison’s townhall said it best~ they are going to loose the family farm paying health care bills for a family members care. But they’d rather do that and have a living family member than a dead one under Obama Care. Personal Responsibility.

mauioriginal on August 4, 2009 at 1:26 PM

What’s happening in town halls all over the country is the tip of the iceberg. These people are fighting for our right to representative government. Despite all the birther dismissiveness- our Constitution is in peril. Screw the birth certificate(s)! This is much more important:

Obama’s father was never a US citizen, nor was he ever permanently domiciled in the US. At birth, Obama was a British citizen. Obama admits his birth status was governed by Great Britain. The question presented then is whether the US is willing to allow person’s who were born without a single allegiance to the US to be Commander in Chief of our military.
For it is this specific fear that prompted our first Supreme Court Chief Justice – John Jay – to suggest to George Washington the following:
Permit me to hint, whether it would be wise and seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government; and to declare expressly that the Commander in Chief of the American army shall not be given to nor devolve on, any but a natural born Citizen.
This letter was written on July 25, 1787. It is in direct response to Alexander Hamilton’s suggested Presidential requirement appearing in the first draft of the Constitution wherein Hamilton – five weeks earlier – on June 18, 1787 submitted the following:
No person shall be eligible to the office of President of the United States unless he be now a Citizen of one of the States, or hereafter be born a Citizen of the United States.
There you have the crux of the issue now before the nation. Hamilton’s original drafted presidential requirement was rejected by the framers. Instead of allowing any person born a citizen to be President, the framers chose to adopt the more stringent requirement from John Jay, that the President be a natural born citizen.
Contrary to media lies, you will find not one single statute in current US law which uses the words “natural born citizen” in code provisions which grant citizenship. For no statute can make one a natural born citizen. It’s a status, not a right. And that status is necessary for only one purpose under the sun – to be Commander In Chief of the US armed forces.
Any citizen can hold any office in the entire Government of the United States except for Commander In Chief. And for good reason, as John Jay made clear all those years ago. This doesn’t mean that immigrants from all nations can’t one day be President. They can. But they need to have two generations of US citizenship to do that – not one.
If we decide to ignore the natural born citizen provision, we open the door to the possibility of a person with strong ties to foreign nations – possibly stronger than to our own – to be the sole commander of our military men and women who protect us. And they also deserve our protection – AT ALL COSTS – from such a treasonous scenario.
We shouldn’t let our Constitutional guard down for the sake of allowing one very popular man to endanger all future generations. Is it not possible that persons such as Kim Jong Il or Osama Bin Laden might imgregnate a US citizen woman? And if this woman gives birth on US soil the precedent set by Obama would allow that child to be Commander In Chief.
I’m not worried about Obama as President. I’m worried about who comes next because of the precedent he sets. The same fear caused me to challenge McCain on the ballot as well.
This is the issue before the nation – and it’s right from the mouth of John Jay’s more restrictive requirement that it was “wise and seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government; and to declare expressly that the Commander in Chief of the American army shall not be given to nor devolve on, any but a natural born Citizen.”
The framers wisely provided us with that check.
By weakening the natural born citizen check, we dangerously enlarge the pool of candidates who can be Commander In Chief or our armed forces.

NightmareOnKStreet on August 4, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Rep. Gene Green, who represents the Baytown, eastern part of the Houston metro, had a rough town hall last night over health care and his vote on cap and tax. Videos are here:

My favorite part is the 8th video around the 8 minute mark where one of his constituents tells him that Pelosi and Obama didn’t get him elected.

King of Katy on August 4, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Is this the link you were afraid to post, AnninCA?

“Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) warned other members of Congress against antagonistic audience members at healthcare town hall events who may be funded by industry interest groups.”

“Well, I’ve always wanted this”… “I’ve been a regular person in life”… ” And it seemed to me”… “I can see I might have”… “my son is having a hard time”… “I really do see”…” I’m outraged”… “I think I was strongly influenced”….

I see alot of “I” and “my” in there. Just an FYI, you might want to try having less emotional involvement when attempting to advance your collectivist views on the majority of the people who do not want your collectivist views rammed down our throats. You also might want to consider that your own selfish reasons for desiring coverage do not apply to all.

Please, explain to me why I and my family are responsible for paying the way of you and yours, due to your own personal grievances?

Lady Texan on August 4, 2009 at 1:40 PM

The “Sleeping Giant” known as the Average American is awakening, Congresscritters! You had better listen up or save up for your forced retirement.

kingsjester on August 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I haven’t been able to uncover where you guys are coming from on that argument. The constitution doesn’t say we can build bridges either, but we sure do.

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 11:57 AM

See Article I, Section 8, Clause 7

The Congress shall have Power… To establish Post Offices and post Roads

Bridges are roads that cross water.

Maybe you should check out the Constitution like we’ve checked out Obama’s HealthDeathcare Bill

dominigan on August 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM

dominigan on August 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM

AnninCA doesn’t care what the Constitution says as long as Obama’s DeathCare bill covers illegals. Ann’s happy and La Raza’s happy.

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 1:49 PM

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM

You are a liar. You can’t keep your background story straight.

AnninCA,

DarkCurrent on August 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM

You also ignore easy questions and refuse to provide support for your assertions.

ladyingray on August 4, 2009 at 1:58 PM

ladyingray on August 4, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Ann pimps La Raza talking points.

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Ann pimps La Raza talking points.

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I knew she was pimping something…

ladyingray on August 4, 2009 at 2:12 PM

By the time Barry gets back from vacationing on Martha’s Vineyard, public sentiment against his policies will have turned to a blast furnace of rage.

Now, it’s personal.

Christien on August 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Obamas constituents and sycophants stand to loose the most with this health care debacle; Pandering to the lower income voters is going to backfire, big time. The people whom can least afford to lose any medical care at all, are going to be the most neglected under ANY new plan. The quality of routine medical care, and the access to urgent medical care will be the most impacted.
People with the means will be going to other countries for the needed urgent care and required medical procedures, just as they are doing now.

Cybergeezer on August 4, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Knew this was going to be a long one once Ann showed up. Ann, the astroturfing charges are projection. Real people simply are not buying the inconsistencies here. Obama’s more liberal than they took him for in November and they’ve figured it out. He’s squandered a lot of credibility and now he’s lashing out at straw men left and right.

Reform is still within reach but some of your sacred cows are going to have to suffer.

DrSteve on August 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Tricare is run by Humana and a consortium of insurance companies to provide the worst possible care to the military, just to keep costs down per government directive. It’s a great example of what we face with Obamacare.

eaglesdontflock on August 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Hey if anyone figures out how to get on that insurance astroturfing payroll, by all means post it. I might as well get some dosh for doing what I already plan to do- take the pitchforks to the appropriate backsides.

evergreen on August 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Would someone PLEASE post videos of the Republican town halls with all the angry socialized medicine SUPPORTERS demanding that Republicans vote for ObamaCare?

I’m waiting!

King of Katy on August 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM

evergreen on August 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Me too. It will help me pay my health insurance premium so I don’t have to die from negligent or non-existent care like my military friends.

eaglesdontflock on August 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM

More far-right hate mobs. They should join up with Palin’s hate mobs from the campaign. Why are conservatives always so full of hate and bitterness?

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Ah yes … dissent is patriotic unless you’re a conservative. Then it’s just hate and bitterness.

dcwvu: “Oh why won’t more than half the country just die and let us be ruled by Obama?”

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM

<— member of an Obama Hate mob. I hate Obama.

Jeff from WI on August 4, 2009 at 2:56 PM

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM

HHHMMM so dissent to the HC reform socialist bill is now hate and bitterness? Please explain!!

xler8bmw on August 4, 2009 at 3:00 PM

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Gee, I can’t think of the conservative equivalent to all the “Buck Fush” bumper-stickers and blogs/movies about asassinating Bush and attacks on Palin’s kids.

The only thing we “hate” is having other people try to dictate how we live our lives.

The true “hate” is on your side. Why else would you spend your time making snarky posts on a blog that doesn’t cater to your Statist viewpoints? I don’t go to Kos or HuffPost to snipe at your type.

guntotinglibertarian on August 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Why are Statists always so full of hate and bitterness?

Chainsaw56 on August 4, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I’m waiting!

King of Katy on August 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM

They’re too busy watching Oprah.

guntotinglibertarian on August 4, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Expect the Obamadems to rig the coming townhalls with ACORN/Obama Jugend trolls. They’re going to script and control these events more.

modifiedcontent on August 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Why are Statists always so full of hate and bitterness?

I’ll answer my own question – consider that the leftist were on brink of controlling healthcare – the mother of all controls on people.
With Government rationed O’crap care, they could control everything people do – because it all can be traced back to healthcare, right?
The Statist would be able to tell what you can or cannot eat, where to live, how long you can live, how much money you can make, the list is endless.
Now it’s slipping away after being SO close.
Because after all, the bottom line is that Statists don’t give a giraffe’s gonads about people, they just want power over them.

Chainsaw56 on August 4, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Wow. And that’s from a conservative’s viewpoint trying to show that they’re winning the debate. Highly intelligent persuasive rhetorical style there.

Bring on the crazy! This stuff is really making you guys look like reasoned, intelligent adults, yep.

orange on August 4, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Hey AnninCA – are you part of the Obama snitch brigade, sending our comments to flag@whitehouse.gov. I hope so. I can’t wait.

eaglesdontflock on August 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM

orange on August 4, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I agree. It seems when conservatives disagree with something, they always attend these mobs and lose control and start screaming and crying at the top of their lungs. They turn it into some Nascar/WWE event with (mainly) White people screaming about the evils of that black dude in the White House. It does them absolutely no favors in combating that “GOP are racist rednecks” meme they’ve had for decades. It only serves to bring their ignorant underbelly into the daylight.

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM

So it’s perfectly fine to make blanket statements about Conservatives, but not leftists?

Chainsaw56 on August 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Watch out ACORN, if you thugs turn up in Ft. Worth, at a townhall meeting.

You don’t intimidate me, I’m a menopausal white woman that knows how to use a gun. Besides, there’s more of us than you. You can’t shoot all of us.

luvstotango on August 4, 2009 at 3:35 PM

eaglesdontflock on August 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Obama has a snitch brigade?

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Your baiting tactics are more transparent than our Most Transparent President Evah.

Lady Texan on August 4, 2009 at 3:37 PM

dcwvu:

Chainsaw56 on August 4, 2009 at 3:48 PM

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Amazing!! the troll dcwuu agrees with the troll ‘orange’
aka Glenn Greenwald. Another case of Dumb & Dumber amongst trolls. What a stunning coincidence !

Having Ann in CA around makes this a Troll Trifecta……

Janos Hunyadi on August 4, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Ann, the astroturfing charges are projection.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. I don’t know what astroturfing is, though.

Lots of the insults fall on deaf ears here. *haha

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Holy crap these people are sick. Read and freak out:

If you see anybody publicly opposing President Obama’s plan to implement a government-centric overhaul of the health care system, the White House wants you to report that person (or persons) ASAP.

From the White House website:

There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov.

Of course, as we’ve seen in the health care debate to date, the term “disinformation” is used by the Obama White House as a catchall to describe any opposition to the President’s push for single-payer, government-run health care — meaning the White House wants to be informed of any forwarded emails or blog posts or any “casual conversations” that could be taken as opposition to their health care overhaul plan.

The White House has, as yet, offered no explanation of what it is they plan to do with the tips on policy opposition they hope to receive from citizen informers.

Interestingly, as Jake Tapper pointed out on Twitter this morning, the title of that post on the White House is a quote from John Adams’ 1770 “Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials.”

powerpro on August 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM

But as long as the right insists that managing costs equates to killing off mom and pop, there’s no room for discussion! LOL*

AnninCA

Sorry, but I’m British and I live in France. The British option (which is what Obama care is) DOES mean rationing, and people DO die. You also can’t get a dentist (there aren’t any) You can’t see specialists. There are waiting lists for the waiting list. You can’t choose your own doctor. You can’t even TALK to a doctor on the phone. British health care isn’t as bad as it’s sometimes painted, but it was invented after the war and there’s no way you would do it like that now. And it costs nearly as much now as French healthcare.

French healthcare is very similar to American. We have compulsory payroll taxes topped up with private insurance. All in all it works pretty well. There’s a strong cheap public sector and a strong less cheap private sector. This creates healthy competition.

The problem with the American system is tort law.

ObamaCare will make the US MORE socialist than France. Now that IS funny.

Of course seniors will lose out. More people are to be insured who won’t be paying for it. The money has to come from somewhere. Seniors are expensive, it will come from them.

Hope on August 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Why don’t you Google it before wasting a post to tell people who don’t care ( everyone except you ) how ignorant you are?

Transparent Stupidity is apparently your shtick: You want people to know how clueless you are, as if that conveys some sad variation of innocence. You’re either Incredibly Stupid or a deviously clever O-bot who flouts her tiresome ignorance to hijack threads.

Did it ever occur to you that no one wants to know about your lack of knowledge?

Janos Hunyadi on August 4, 2009 at 4:29 PM

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Amazing!! the troll dcwuu agrees with the troll ‘orange’
Having Ann in CA around makes this a Troll Trifecta……
Janos Hunyadi on August 4, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I was shocked I tell ya, shocked that they would agree/ sarc.

dcwvu, still hasn’t answered this question:

Chainsaw56 on August 4, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Janos Hunyadi on August 4, 2009 at 4:29 PM

AnninCA knows exactly what she’s doing. She’s been pushing this health care crap since the day Obama was elected. She’s pushes it for one reason and one reason only … she’s a hack for La Raza and is astroturfing here pushing health care for illegals.

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Ann, the astroturfing charges are projection.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. I don’t know what astroturfing is, though.

Lots of the insults fall on deaf ears here. *haha

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Hey! AnninCA
Remember this posting you made a couple days ago:

How do we pay for this?
Duh*
I’m trying to talk about real issues, and you’re back there acting like we should balance the budget.

Good times, good times…..

Apparently AnninCA thinks that anyone who’s concerned about how we are going to pay for all this largess is an idiot.

As they say, it takes one to know one, right AnninCA?

Chainsaw56 on August 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Hope on August 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM

So the French system of civil law regarding torts is the same as the British: that the loser of a lawsuit must pay all the court costs and the winner’s legal fees?

That IS what we need here, for obvious reasons: You don’t sue unless you have a good case, and the tactic of filing lawsuits against doctors just to get a ‘settlement’ ( from doctors trying to avoid the time and expense ( mostly disappears……

Janos Hunyadi on August 4, 2009 at 4:40 PM

powerpro on August 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Overwhelm the system by sending emails and attach a copy of the bill as being something fishy about healthcare you saw.

I sent the 2 following emails 10 times each:
Hi,

I just wanted to inform you that I did see something fishy about the current healthcare debate and wanted to let you know. I read the 1017 pages of the house bill and to tell you the truth the whole bill is FISHY and UNCONSTITUIONAL! You are violating citizens 1st amendments rights by asking others to spy and turn in others who disagree with your Marxist policies. As of right now until you completely SHRED the constitution we have the right to dissent what we don’t agree with and we the majority as you see disagree with our current Marxist-in-chief. I suggest under the current laws you cease and desist with this email reporting mechanism for others to illegally spy on others FREEDOM OF SPEECH! I am sick and tired of the abuses of the American citizens from this administration! Here is a NEWS FLASH WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT WE PAY THE BILLS AND DECIDE WHO TAKES OFFICE AND WHO DOESN’T! We run this country you’re just a conduit of our wishes and guess what you need to start listening to the people because the majority rules and the majority doesn’t want it shoved down our throats for our Marxist government to entitle the few that don’t have it for various reasons!

Kind Regards!

Hi,

This is paralleling Germany 1923-1938. People being told to turn on each other and report anyone who speaks out against the government.
When can we expect visits from AmeriCorps thugs at our homes?

If this does not smell of Hitler’s Nazi Germany than what does? The “Night of the Long Knives” has begun. Obama’s paranoia is becoming more apparent day by day. He’s losing control, everyone does ‘not’ love/admire him and more are becoming disillusioned each week. Neighbor spying upon neighbor, text messages, emails and letters to the editor getting forwarded to the White House/Berghof. This administration is already out of control.

Kind Regards

xler8bmw on August 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM

darwin on August 4, 2009 at 4:35 PM

yes, thanks, my question was rhetorical. Having her pose as a Reasonable But Kinda Dumb ingenue got Old really quickly

Janos Hunyadi on August 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM

The persona that many narcissists, like AnninCA, present to the world often comes across to others as a “superiority complex”.

But behind the mask of arrogance is a fragile internal balloon of self-esteem that is never saisfied with being good or even very good–if they are not better than you, they are worthless. If the narcissists are feeling deflated, they can reinflate themselves by diminishing, debasing or degrading someone else. It’s always about them.

–The Seven Dealy Sins of Narcissism, WHY IS IT ALWAYS ABOUT YOU.

Surviving a narcissist…is not to play with them.

luvstotango on August 4, 2009 at 4:54 PM

xler8bmw on August 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM

That’s along the lines of what I’m thinking. Let’s Alinsky them:

RULE 8: “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.”

RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”

and

RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules.

Now we don’t know they intend to follow up on every tip and thus, we don’t know if Rule 4 applies exactly. That being said…

We should have a counter campaign and FLOOD them with “tips”. Just barrage them in a snowstorm of meaningless crap that leads nowhere so they waste their time sifting through and (potentially) following up on bogus tips.

powerpro on August 4, 2009 at 4:54 PM

guntotinglibertarian on August 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Time for you son to ante up, his turn to pay for illegal aliens.

Wade on August 4, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Janos Hunyadi on August 4, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Sorry this is too technical for me. But we don’t have tort law (neither does Britain as far as I know)

Our justice system is cheaper, and we just don’t have the frivolous suits you seem to have in the US. The payouts are also smaller. I think we also have fewer rogue doctors to start with. You have more negligence cases in Britain, because the quality of care is generally lower, and people slip through the net more easily, especially older ones.

I had forgotten how Spartan British care was until I got ill at Christmas in Britain, and couldn’t even talk to a doctor, let alone see one. Getting an appointment was impossible. If you’re ill in France, you phone a doctor and get an appointment. If you don’t like your doctor, you change. You choose your hospital. Everything. I wouldn’t want to go back to a British system now. I pity you guys if ObamaCare gets through. Most people’s care will lower in quality, because single payer systems give basic care to everyone. And that means those who have better than basic care now will lose quality on their care …

Hope on August 4, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Hope on August 4, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Thanks for the info. You do have civil law, of course, and a ‘tort’ is a “civil wrong” or alleged violation of civil law which is actionable in civil court. The Romans split the legal system into criminal and civil, and the basic idea hasn’t changed much in two millenia or so.

I lived in France for a while, and I think I remember that their system is similar to Les Roast Beefs in that it’s “loser pays”. I don’t know about the relative quality of French & American & British physicians, but our ‘tort’ system where a person must pay the legal costs of defending himself makes the quality of doctors relatively unimportant from a plaintiff’s point of view

bon nuit……

Janos Hunyadi on August 4, 2009 at 5:21 PM

powerpro on August 4, 2009 at 4:54 PM

That’s exactly what I am doing! I like your ‘let’s alinsky them” we can all play that game. What liberal marxist like Obama don;t understand is we conservatives have a breaking point. And when we turn we fight evil with evil so we will use they’re evil against them!

xler8bmw on August 4, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Hey AnninCA, Beck was just on. He was making fun of Dick Durbin and others who claim insurance companies are organizing these protests at town halls. He made a point to mention how insurance companies are laying down for Obama and how ridiculous the idea of insurance company involvement is. I’m even more sure than before that you are a lying sack of crap troll. I always thought you were full of sh!t but now it’s confirmed.

Monica on August 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Seeing the glassy, shell-shocked expressions on the Congress critters’ faces as they learn what it means to be held accountable by their constituents warms the cockles of my heart.

These Beltway invertebrates have, by and large, repeatedly voted to increase the tax burden on a population that increasingly rejects any increases to the tax burden on them (and their grandchildren). It is the very definition of “taxation without representation” — and is, I think, good to remind our political overlords about the quintessentially American view of such a thing in our history.

We Americans are a long-suffering, optimistic people; the sleeping giant does not stir readily, but when it does it moves with a terrible, glacier-like purpose.

Harpazo on August 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Add one more to the unemployment line next year.

ted c on August 4, 2009 at 7:09 PM

What non-profit do you work for?

Does ann Work? I thought she posted at hot air.. maybe hoping for a sweet deal like AP :)

Noelie on August 4, 2009 at 7:12 PM

1820 Oct. 20. “The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave.”

–Thomas Jefferson

ted c on August 4, 2009 at 7:28 PM

at least the guy in Wisconsin appeared to be listening and not trying to brow beat his constituents into accepting something they hate Now let’s see how he votes

Willie on August 4, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Do You REALLY think the postal service is a solid program?

Newsflash, the only way they stay in business is that they have a governmental Monopoly over mailboxes.

Chainsaw56

And despite having a monopoly, they STILL lose money.

Second, my son is having a hard time. He’s falling through a funny crack. The only insurance plans are outrageously expensive. No way he can afford it right now. Yet he’s perfectly healthy and young enough that it’s odd.AnninCa

Liar. Not wanting to work or pay for something doesn’t mean you can’t afford it. If he’s under 30, he can easily get a policy at or under $100.

Maybe you should tell your deadbeat son to get a job.

xblade on August 4, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Harpazo on August 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM

The fact that these outraged Americans are showing up on all three coasts and everywhere inbetween should be a clue to the filthy liar and his corrupt party. I’m hoping they remain as ignorant as AnninCA.

highhopes on August 4, 2009 at 8:31 PM

orange on August 4, 2009 at 3:19 PM

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Check the polls on health care and tell me which ones are the “underbelly”.

Most of the “protestors” I’ve heard at these town halls sound pretty informed; probably more informed on the bill than the Congressmen who are holding the town halls. That’s gotta be embarrassing to you underbelly types.

ddrintn on August 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM

dcwvu on August 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM

And this does nothing to combat that “Democrats are as dumb as a box of rocks” meme they’ve had for decades:

ddrintn on August 4, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Ugh, the audio is terrible – couldn’t make out a single word.

Midas on August 4, 2009 at 9:25 PM

The phrase I want to hear from Congress (all members) is that they are “listening intently.” As in the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie, where Kiera Knightly “enhances her bargaining position” against a recently-appointed Lord of the Realm.

Blacksmith on August 4, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I think if the planned disruptions are working this well, then probably it’s smart to cancel these townhalls.

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 10:42 AM

So the Congressmen should not be listening to their constituents?

You’re just going to have to face the facts that most people in this country not only don’t want government healthcare, but are mad that the government is trying to give it to them anyway.

Refusing to listen would not be wise for any congressman who wants to be reelected.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on August 4, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Is only ACORN allowed to organize a community? ANN?

Outside. But disrupting meetings is counterproductive in Democracy, in my opinion.

AnninCA on August 4, 2009 at 10:59 AM

We don’t have a democracy. If you were actually familiar with the founding fathers and the type of government they set up, you would know that they considered democracy to be dangerous, barely better than monarchy. The majority can be just as tyrannical as a dictator.

That’s why the focus on laws, and on a Constitution. So even if the majority of the people want nationalized health care — they don’t — they first have to change the Constitution to allow it. There is no reason why changing the Constitution should be done lightly. There’s no reason we should grease the skids for those who would ignore the Constitution and take over health care in order to be more like Europe.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on August 4, 2009 at 11:34 PM

battleoflepanto1571 on August 4, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I have a different take. I think Ann is a parody poster.

Red State State of Mind on August 4, 2009 at 11:35 PM

It boggles my mind how your side of the aisle can be so childishly retarded as to think that anyone that has half a brain would believe this tripe

Sugarbuzz on August 4, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Projection?

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on August 5, 2009 at 12:04 AM

DL13 on August 5, 2009 at 12:46 AM

bon nuit……

Janos Hunyadi on August 4, 2009 at 5:21 PM

You remember wrong my dear. The two health systems are totally different. The French system has better health outcomes than the US one,costs less and gives huge choice.. I don’t call that loser myself. And you are going to get the bad one ….

As for Roman law, Britain does NOT have Roman law. Our law is based on Anglo-Saxon principles. So, no, I don’t think it has tort law.

Why so aggressive? Getting to you that thanks to Obama you’re going to be more Socialist than France much?

Hope on August 5, 2009 at 3:18 AM