Video: Oregon says no to chemotherapy, offers assisted suicide instead

posted at 8:50 am on August 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

We knew it would come to this when Oregon insisted on passing its assisted-suicide laws. It doesn’t take much for assisted suicide to go from a humane option to a cost-saving device, especially when the state pays for the medical care. One patient in Oregon got a letter that made this all too clear, when in the same letter rejecting her request for life-extending chemotherapy, Oregon offered her “physician-aid-in-dying”. In other words, Oregon offered their customer a heapin’ helping of death:

The doctor interviewed by the news station seems offended at the suggestion that Oregon would decide to save a few bucks by denying expensive health care and offering a case of hemlock in its place. However, saving money was the raison d’etre of single-payer systems, and the incentives all drive towards that decision. Single-payer systems have to handle medical services as a shortage market, rationing them by using “comparative effectiveness” paradigms to determine who gets medical attention, and who gets “physician-aid-in-dying” instead of it.

The woman who drew the short end of the stick in this case wonders who these people think they are. They think they know better than us who needs to live and die. Has that lesson still not been made clear?

Update: I got this link yesterday and the KATU page is undated, but this story is from 2008, which I didn’t realize until I got an e-mail about it. I wrote about this last June, and I simply didn’t recall it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

heldmyw on August 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM

You’re right. I can’t pull up the link you posted but if it is the case I’m thinking of, the family was trying to pay for it themselves. Under nationalized healthcare, we won’t even have that option.

Blake on August 3, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Elections have consequenses. She probably voted for the rats who promoted the socialized system in the first place. Kind of late for her to be whining about how it turned out.

t.ferg on August 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Eugenics …

Abort the unborn, kill the old, save money, give money saved to your Democrat constituents. King for life.

It’s the plan baby

tarpon on August 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM

You will never know or be able to know the person that pulled the trigger. Besides if you did manage to take the right person with you to the grave the feds would make sure it would never happen again by having the death dealers protected in some way.

jmarcure on August 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM

There is always a face – always someone to direct anger toward whether deserved or not. There are doctors, hospital administrators, politicians, or government bureaucrats in general.

DamnCat on August 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Oregon says no to chemotherapy, offers assisted suicide instead

I know that it is probably my paranoia acting up, but it just occurred to me that the Government already has a convenient list of surplus, expendable people…Everybody who has a Medicare Card.

Uniblogger on August 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Abby Adams on August 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM

“I did not chop down that cherry tree. It needed to be forced into a sacrificial worldview, so I assisted it in giving up it’s own life to my ax.”

Abby Adams on August 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Just in time for Christmas!

“Let them die and decrease the surplus population.”

mankai on August 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Joy.

Where do I sign up to be a Sand Man?

Bishop on August 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

t.ferg on August 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM

You have no idea who she voted for, you just make that up and then blame her for the system. That’s idiotic.

ProfessorMiao on August 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

“Let them die and decrease the surplus population.”

Not to mention then there’s all that insurance money to spend! STIMULATION, anyone?

tree hugging sister on August 3, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Abby Adams on August 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM

“A cyanide pill in time saves an expensive decline.”

LibTired on August 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM

It’s to be expected that trolls and sycophants, so heavily invested in the big-eared freak, would refuse to see that which is right in front of them. I will not waste precious time on them. Rather, I will try to open the eyes of those fence-sitters and generally uninformed in my own circle or friends/acquaintances. Our “hope” for “change” lies there. The more sunlight, the better.

SKYFOX on August 3, 2009 at 10:08 AM

circle “of”…not or
Sorry.

SKYFOX on August 3, 2009 at 10:09 AM

ProfessorMiao on August 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

If t. ferg is speculating, why not call it that. How does anyone know either way? Your pseudo elitism is showing.

belad on August 3, 2009 at 10:10 AM

belad on August 3, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Sounds elitist to me to use the big word ‘speculating’ when making it up is more accurate.

But if you prefer ‘speculation’ based on unknown facts, as the basis for blaming the victim instead of the government policy, go for it. I didn’t realize we had so many fans of government controlled life and death here.

ProfessorMiao on August 3, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Unbelievable, and the doctor sits there with a straight face and says the letter does say what it states.
This is a doctor who will look at test results and ignore them?
The letter was explicit…we won’t pay for chemo, but we will pay for suicide.
I never ever thought it would be so quick, so blatant, and so accepted.
George Orwell, you are a genius…

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Eugenics …

It’s the plan baby

tarpon on August 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I’ve always thought this is what underlies the entire healthcare ‘solution’ the ‘RATs give us….it goes back to Sanger, Darwin, and the entire eugenics movement…

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM

My brother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer and told he would have 22 months to live with chemo.

He took the chemo and lived 24 months.

That 24 months was priceless for my sister.

That option will not be left up to the patient and doctor under Obama’s Hell-scare plan. This is the scary future.

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Health care for the elderly under Obamacare

Im not dead yet!!!

Dreadnought223 on August 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM

t.ferg on August 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Could you show the link where she stated who she voted for? Or are you just a fool…

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM

You know, if (God forbid) I am ever faced with a choice of enduring a horrific slow and painful death or humanely letting myself go, I’d have to say I’d choose the latter. But I’ll be damned if someone else is going to make that choice for me.

I also find it odd that the same administration who is spending a trillion dollars on special interests is suddenly interested in saving money. And it sickens me the callous disregard they have for human life. Other peoples lives, of course, not their own.

scalleywag on August 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM

At first doctors took the Hippocratic Oath to everything possible to preserve life.

Next, assisted suicide was an option for those who wanted it.

Now the government is suggesting that people consider this option.

Soon the government will be pressuring people to “choose” this option.

Then the government will just notify every patient that they have been “approved” for treatment. When patients go for their approved treatment, some will just be “put down” without even being informed that that was the treatment for which they were approved.

Wake up America!

Ordinary American on August 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Oregon says no to chemotherapy, offers assisted suicide instead

WRONG! Framing this in a way that makes it a political issue is the weakest possible argument.

This is tantamount to murder. They know she is going to die and are refusing to honor their agreement to provide health care because she only has days or weeks to live and they have limited funds. They might just as well stand by and while a person chokes to death outside a restaurant because they would lose their reservation.

Welcome to Ochimpycare.

csdeven on August 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Soylent Green is people!

Someone had to say it.

kingsjester on August 3, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Did the Oregon government offer the lady in the report the comfy chair, movies of fields of daisies and classical music, like Edward G. Robinson’s death chamber in the movie? Or, was it just a pill and a Martha Stewart Living magazine in a waiting room?

A watershed moment for humanity…

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:22 AM

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Until someone goes through the pain of losing someone to cancer, they would have a difficult time absorbing what this woman is facing.
Basically, die in pain, or die now…

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:23 AM

No wonder Congressmen are so dead set against including themselves and their families under OgabeCare.

Try writing your senators and congress critters and ask them if they plan on including themselves; bet you gold against dogshat that they won’t even answer you back. NONE of my people did, effin cowards.

Bishop on August 3, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I believe it should be done on a one to one ratio. One person along with one politition!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick007 on August 3, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Take a pill and don’t call me in the morning.

Johan Klaus on August 3, 2009 at 10:26 AM

scalleywag on August 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM

You just triggered an idea…we make it where the person who is offered “suicide” (because a bureaucrat denies her health care) can choose one bureaucrat to “go” with them.

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Here’s another little piece of the puzzle. Dr. Som Saha, or Apu, or whatever you want to call him appears to be from the
India area of the world. They’ve got some weird gods there including one that looks like the GOP logo, (kind of) a goofy fish, (kind of) multi-armed person, another words they believe strange things and one of them I believe is that they believe in reincarnation. So Dr. Apu here might think this lady is coming back from the dead anyhow, as a rabbit or a frog. The Lady could very well be Christian where suicide is a big NO, NO.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Rick007 on August 3, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Get out of my head…it hurrrrttttss!

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Bishop on August 3, 2009 at 10:25 AM

It is already written in the bill, they are exempt. So my congressman said there is nothing he can do, that is how the bill is written.

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Basically, die in pain, or die now…

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:23 AM

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM

t.ferg on August 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM

So, t.ferg, she DESERVES it because the wrong people won a frickin’ election!!!!! What kind of sub-human makes a statement like that? We’re not talking about increased taxes, oppressive regulations, unpopular spending (all consequences of the “wrong” people winning elections) – we’re talking LIFE and DEATH! I voted, reluctantly, for McCain (and enthusiastically for Palin) in ’08, but NOT because I thought that BHO might one day KILL ME!!! I knew he’d raise my taxes, increase stupid regulation that would affect all businesses (including my company) and would throw money to his friends and their organizations. However, I guess I should have also considered the possibility of BHO and his ilk actually killing me! Keep this lady in your prayers…

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Rick007 on August 3, 2009 at 10:25 AM

That would never work. Under Ochimpycare, the most valuable members of society would get care. Who is more valuable to Ochimpy than politicians who cover his Marxist ass?

csdeven on August 3, 2009 at 10:30 AM

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Funny how they forget the word “amendment” when it suits them.

csdeven on August 3, 2009 at 10:31 AM

So, t.ferg, she DESERVES it because the wrong people won a frickin’ election

actions have consequences…I would hope that the people who voted for obama and dems get to suffer the most…kind of like the residents of detroit who keep voting in ‘RATs year after year….

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Just sayin.

Specter should be careful; PA voters may pass a “put down senators, humanely, act of 2010″ – either by ballot box or by other means…

[Hey Voinovich, you pr!ck; I dropped my “g” just for you!]

Branch Rickey on August 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Spread the news Rush,Sean, beck and levin!!!!!!,leaving the best for last,Michelle!!!!!!!

ohiobabe on August 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM

All the senior citizens that voted donk have put a loaded gun to their own heads. In a way I think it makes for a beautiful symmetry and a lesson of be careful what you ask for.

jukin on August 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM

jmarcure on August 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM

A determined person can always find a way to get to you. The only sure safety option is the grave.

chemman on August 3, 2009 at 10:33 AM

So, t.ferg, she DESERVES it because the wrong people won a frickin’ election!!!!! What kind of sub-human makes a statement like that? We’re not talking about increased taxes, oppressive regulations, unpopular spending (all consequences of the “wrong” people winning elections) – we’re talking LIFE and DEATH! I voted, reluctantly, for McCain (and enthusiastically for Palin) in ‘08, but NOT because I thought that BHO might one day KILL ME!!! I knew he’d raise my taxes, increase stupid regulation that would affect all businesses (including my company) and would throw money to his friends and their organizations. However, I guess I should have also considered the possibility of BHO and his ilk actually killing me! Keep this lady in your prayers…

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM

While I can understand your thinking, but I have to say that after hearing Obama is so cold of a person that he supports giving a baby born, through a botched abortion, no medical help and leaving it in a hospital laundry closet to die, should tell you something about the man and his (lack of) ethics.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM

At least you got an answer back, even if it was bullshiite.

I contacted Senator Klobuchar twice and didn’t get so much as an acknowledgment email. Also sent a “test” email in flowery language, generally praising the senator for her work; within two days I received an answer thanking me, appreciate the support, working hard on my behalf, sincerely: Amy Klobuchar etc. etc.

Cowards, every one of them.

Bishop on August 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM

ah, come on! you don’t actually think they’ll deny treatment to those who vote against them, do you?

very sarcastic

kelley in virginia on August 3, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Heck, through abortion they kill the ones that would vote for them, so what’s to keep them from killing the ones who don’t.

Ampleforth on August 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM

It’s hilarious. And if being conservative means you have to buy into this absurd idea that healthcare wants to kill you to save money……

Then call me moderate. :)

AnninCA on August 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Ignorance of the facts will not save you. All you have to do is look around you in California to see the results of an out-of-control government.

Progressives just do not get it. But they finally will, at-the-end-of-their-time.

Yoop on August 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM

So, t.ferg, she DESERVES it because the wrong people won a frickin’ election

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM

No – the wrong people win an election, EVERYONE SUFFERS! Even if this lady voted for a wacky Lib, or even if she’s a wacky Lib herself (voting for one does not automatically make one – see Conservatives in 2008 voting for Democrat-lite McCain), that should NOT be a death sentence! Even if the entire Dem-voting population of Detroit contracted cancer and needed help in dealing with it, I would not wish DEATH upon them because they voted the wrong way! (and, as an Ohioan, NOT wishing death upon Michiganders is VERY unpopular :)). We are HUMANS first, then Dems or Repubs. I guess I mis-interpreted your screen name…I guess the 4life part is not necessarily pro-life…

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM

As I said, I voted McCain in 2008, for solidly conservative reasons. I guess I never thought that, in America, it would ACTUALLY come to this – killing off the undesirables. I would not wish that fate on anyone…even a BHO supporter!

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM

The one and only time the government actually wants to save money is when spending it will save people.

Grafted on August 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM

The US is going to hell in handbasket.

cptthumper on August 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM

It will get even better under a single payer system. I really don’t understand who the heck these people think they are to decide who lives and who dies. At the end of the day, though, it is the person who’s paying for the insurance who decides. If you aren’t paying for it, be prepared for “cost saving” measures.

Rightwingguy on August 3, 2009 at 10:43 AM

The US is going to hell in handbasket.

cptthumper on August 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Amen, brother – a ROCKET-POWERED handbasket!

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:45 AM

This is were the whole country is headed with Obamacare .Next after the old people are got rid of we will go after the mentally ill the lame and other that are looked on as a drag on medical cost.A brave new Obama world.If we do not speak up now a say as loud as we can Hell no.Then when they come for you no one will be left to fight for you. GOD SAVE US FROM OUR SELF .

thmcbb on August 3, 2009 at 10:46 AM

There is a budget crisis. Patriotic Oregonians know when to die.

Mr. Joe on August 3, 2009 at 10:47 AM

AnninCA has her fingers in her ears going la la la la la … I can’t hear you!

darwin on August 3, 2009 at 10:47 AM

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I guess he never heard of the option of voting no when it comes out of committee.

Vashta.Nerada on August 3, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Then call me moderate. :)

AnninCA on August 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM

What’s hilarious (no, it’s actually quite sad, really) is that someone who presumably watched the video would make such a STUPID statement as you did! The video could NOT have been any clearer – a terminal patient that is really not even that old, asks for approval for treatment and is turned down, and then offing herself is presented as an alternative! Do you understand English? Being from California, perhaps someone could send you the Spanish translation to aid your understanding!

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:49 AM

It doesn’t want to kill you, it just wants to deny certain care to save money, though in the end dead is dead, doesn’t matter what the official wording is.

Bishop on August 3, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Cowards, every one of them.

Bishop on August 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM

What is worse….
I hear you, but I don’t care
Or
I don’t hear you, I don’t care

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM

The problem you have is basically you sound like you’re a good person. Something like this would never occur to you because it’s so outside the basic compassion a person has for another.
If you’ve been around enough Democrats, like I have, you become a bit hardened by them because you realize that they are, and I do mean ALL OF THEM, a force of EVIL on this planet. Real biblical, demons on earth evil.
You begin to see that there is not a deviant act, that they will not support, and that human life, in reality, means nothing to them.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 10:53 AM

This is a preview of Obama Care.

WHO SAYS YOU DON’T HAVE CHOICES UNDER OBAMA CARE? Clinics for the elderly will have 4 choices

1 death by injection
2 death by hanging
3 death by electrocution
4 death by firing squad

And the even better news, the dead bodies, in keeping with green environmentalism, will join aborted babies in the manufacture of soylent green, a high protein food ending our dependency of carbon-hogging pigs, sheep and cattle.

MaiDee on August 3, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I’m not a child and I actually do get out occasionally! I am around my share of Dems (including my Mother, 2nd brother, two sisters, co-workers, church members, etc…(they’re EVERYWHERE!!!!)), and, while we sometimes have spirited discussions (sometimes even heated arguments), I don’t really think that any of them have really wished DEATH upon me because of my ideas (well, maybe one of my sisters, but that’s another story…). I am sorry that you’ve had obviously different experiences than I, and I often wonder how good people can follow such a bankrupt philosophy, but I am not so dogmatic as to paint with such an enormous brush as you…remember, YMMV. Higher taxes does not quite equal DEATH, in my book

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I never meant it as an insult.It’s just that many “Democrats” seem normal to most people.But let’s face it, it takes a point in every persons life in Ameruica, as a voting adult, where they either stick up for the most innocent of life, the unborn, or they support abortion and will vote Democrat, or what’s even more hypocritical, say they don’t support abortion but will vote Democrat because of “other issues”, as if ANY issue is bigger than life.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 11:06 AM

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Oh well. At least we can comfort ourselves with the knowledge that Ted Kennedy and his lovely family will always have access to life-extending, massively expensive surgeries and medications. Don’t you feel better now?

/Ann in CA does.

funky chicken on August 3, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Democrats are notorious for living in the immediacy of the moment, and responding to crises with expedient measures and legislature, regardless of historical data which might show that such measures tried elsewhere have failed miserably.

Without a doubt in my own mind, the Dems will enact some form of national health care, ultimately leading to a mandatory single payer system. It’s the -only- way that they can potentially rescue their signature health care program: Medicare. It’s bankrupt, and the drop dead date of having to shut it down completely will likely be moved up, and will occur on Obama’s watch if he’s lucky (or not, depending) enough to get reelected. So something has to be done fast to save them and him, so they can continue with their majority stranglehold on this country. Power is everything to them, and they will say and do anything to keep it. And even Obama has become a compulsive liar in that vein.

Regardless of what the majority of American’s want and/or demand, the Dems will pass national health care soon after returning from Congress’ recess, because the midterm elections are still well over a year away and they’ll have time to turn the news cycle to other crises to deflect public attention from the national health care fiasco. Which, actually, won’t even be an issue care-wise until after the 2012 elections, if I understand it correctly, because most of the mandates won’t kick in until 2013.

I’m said it before: Politics turns on a dime. What is a scandal this week is quickly forgotten the next largely due to the liberal MSM’s willingness to be sympathetic accomplices for the Dems in “managing the news” to intentionally try to control public opinion. Walter Cronkite was the first to demonstrate how effectively that works, during the VietNam War.

If anyone’s been paying attention to Pelosi’s public comments of the past week or so, she’s fully cognizant of the power she and the MSM wield in these realms, and frankly, my dear, she doesn’t give a damn…… what the voting public wants or demands…… because she still has a year or more to turn things around and find and/or create a new crisis to distract Americans from what damage they’ll have already done up to that point.

It worked in 2006, and in 2008. And they’re counting on it working in 2010 as well. You can almost see it playing across their faces as they spout lies and talking points.

KendraWilder on August 3, 2009 at 11:22 AM

In the vid, you’ll find that the “evil” pharmeceutical company paid for her drugs after the state denied her twice. Wasn’t the doctor’s dissembling chilling?

theCork on August 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM

i meant the doctor who was the head of the health plan

theCork on August 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM

It’s all about lifestyle choices.

If you eat too much, drink too much, or are a smoker, then Ted Kennedy and Barak Obama are willing to sacrifice for you. (Um, actually, that should read “make the sacrifice OF you.) And, if you choose the most evil and selfish lifestyle sin of all – outliving your usefulness to the state – they’ll do everything they can to speed up the process.

But, guess what? If you go to a gay bathhouse every night, and “accidentally” get a terminal venereal disease from that, does anybody really think the government won’t take a million dollars out of the cancer, emphysema and heart care budgets to extend your death by a few months?

logis on August 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I’m sure AnninCA is somewhere logged in smiling as she reads this.

“Feelings…nothing more than Feelings..”

Sapwolf on August 3, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Die, Boomer, Die!

This country cannot afford to let the boomers survive into their 80′s and 90′s – we don’t have enough young taxpayers to foot the bill. Therefore, they must die.

Obama and the Party of Death are currently handling the details.

lonesomecharlie on August 3, 2009 at 11:30 AM

This healthcare plan will lead to many many John Q moments.

Get used to people going postal in hospitals as they watch the government in effect ‘murder’ their family and friends.

Sapwolf on August 3, 2009 at 11:31 AM

two thoughts:

1) i imagine people will become acutely more aware of the things the government wastes money on when the government starts withholding money for patient care… “you’re flying to NYC for a date night, but you can’t afford to give me chemo?”

2) every case decided by the government bureaucrat/doctor should be done so “blind” — do not let the decider know who the patient is. eventually s/he will be killing off their own mother with their decisions… or else making different decisions.

toenail on August 3, 2009 at 11:33 AM

This healthcare plan will lead to many many John Q moments.

Sapwolf on August 3, 2009 at 11:31 AM

What’s to keep them from doing it quietly. That drip they were given for pain has arsenic added to it.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM

“The doctor may look at the reimbursement system and say to himself, ‘You know what? I make a lot more money if I take this kid’s tonsils out.’ Now, that may be the right thing to do, but maybe your kid just needs physician-aid-in-dying.”

Jim Treacher on August 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM

you’re an idiot. just because I think actions have consequences, and that people should have to live with the consequences of their actions doesn’t mean I ‘wish death on people’

moron.

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM

moron.

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Can’t we ALL just get along? Rhb says NO to dead Detroiters. Agreed. Right4 says people should have to live with the consequences of their actions. Agreed

In this case though…I don’t think most people knew how ruthlessly evil Obama was, especially in the speed of this attack on human life. Even many DEMS I’m sure, are shocked.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM

most of the dems don’t care as long as they’re getting their guvmint check…

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM

thmcbb on August 3, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Not to mention Obama youth…er…brown shirts…er…storm troopers…er…Sturmabteilung…uh…civilian national security force.

Johan Klaus on August 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Even if this was from 2008 it’s timely for the fact that it’s been reveled about the Health Care Bill’s at 65 end of life government counseling.

- The Cat

P.S. And you know this counseling is to counsel people into signing a living do not resuscitate will type thing.

MirCat on August 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM

most of the dems don’t care as long as they’re getting their guvmint check…

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM

A lot are like that, it’s true, but what I run into are the “intellectual” DEMS, those that think they’re superior beings because they are compassionate with handouts. Compassion of course is a MAJOR lie when you’re supporting DEATH.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Compassion of course is a MAJOR lie when you’re supporting DEATH.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I talked to a family member (by marriage) and she’s a nurse…and supposedly a christian…but when I asked how she could support obama and reconcile his support of abortion with her christianity…I received a rather chilling justification like something mengele would say (I would imagine) it was chilling…I refuse to talk to her any more…

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Perfect example of the DEM thought process, Dr. Mengele.
I’m telling you, ANYONE who claims to be a Democrat, has made a pact with Satan. I mean they are pure EVIL.

Jeff from WI on August 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM

moron.

right4life on August 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Yes, actions have consequences…getting back to the video, I don’t think it was established which way the lady voted; therefore, the entire “consequences” argument was based somewhat on a hypothetical. Therefore, any position taken in an argument of a hypothetical situation cwuld hardly make me a “moron” – unless, of course, my name were AnninCA! Sorry to push your buttons, 4life, with my leaping to conclusions. I’m willing to get along if you are. :)

rhbandsp on August 3, 2009 at 12:30 PM

LIFEBOAT

Teacher: Good morning, class!

Class: Good morning, Mrs. Aryan.

Teacher: Today we’re going to play a game!

Class: Yay!

Teacher: This game is called Lifeboat. All together…

Class: Lifeboat!

Teacher: Good! Lifeboat is a lesson in values clarification. Can you say values clarification?

Class: No.

Teacher: Values clarification is where your little minds decide which lives are worth living and which lives are worth … ahem … not living. Now here’s how we play. A big ship just sank. There are five people on the lifeboat. But the lifeboat is only made for two. I’ll list the five people on the chalkboard, and you, class, will decide which three will be thrown overboard. Are we ready?

Class: Yes, Mrs. Aryan.

Teacher: Good! First, there’s an old, old crippled grandfather. Second, there’s a mentally handicapped person in a wheelchair.

Alison: What’s mentally handicapped?

Teacher: It means they can never be a productive members of society. Third, there’s an overweight woman on welfare, with a sniffling, whimpering baby.

Max: Is the baby on welfare, too?

Teacher: Let’s not push Mrs. Aryan…

Sydney: Who else is in the boat?

Teacher: A young, white doctor with blue eyes and perfect teeth, and Joan Collins. Now, class, take five minutes to make your decision. Times up! Well class?

Class: Throw over grandpa ’cause he’s getting pretty old
Throw out the baby or we’ll all be catching it’s cold
Throw over fatty and we’ll see if she can float
Throw out the retard, and they won’t be rocking the boat

Teacher: Very good! That was fun, wasn’t it?

Class: Yes, Mrs. Aryan.

Teacher: For our next lesson, we’re going to do an experiment!

Class: Yay!

Teacher: We’re going to test the law of gravity, just like Galileo, by dropping two objects out the window, one heavy and one light, to see which one hits the sidewalk first. Now what shall we use for the lighter object? I’m thinking of something small and square…

Class: An eraser?

Teacher: Good! And what shall we use for the heavy object? I’m thinking of something round and bouncy. Tommy, I haven’t given you permission to leave your seat. Class, the bell has not rung. What do you… oh! Oh! Class, put me down! Class, put me down this instant! What? What are you? Oh! Oh! Oh!

Class: Throw over teacher and we’ll see if she can bounce
We’ve learned our lesson, teacher says perfection’s what counts
She’s getting old and gray and wears an ugly coat
Throw over teacher and we’ll play another game of lifeboat

Throw over grandpa ’cause he’s getting pretty old
Throw out the baby or we’ll all be catching it’s cold
Throw over fatty and we’ll see if she can float
Throw out the retard, and they won’t be rocking the boat

Yay!

Steve Taylor

29Victor on August 3, 2009 at 12:43 PM

USA says no to re-election, offers assisted suicide instead.

Daggett on August 3, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Just wait until the assisted suicide becomes mandated suicide. Once Obamacare runs out of money it’ll be a quick ride for granny to Ft. Marcy Park.

viking01 on August 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Note that it was the benign Big Brother, the humanist, the all-knowing, all-caring state that restricted this woman’s medicine and HOPE. And it was that evil, money-grubbing capitalist, pharmaceutical company (Genentech)that gave this lady the medicine she needed. What a metaphor for the National Debate. Thanks Ed. BTW, Anyone know if the lady is still going strong? I pray she is.

Christian Conservative on August 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM

And when the state refuses to allow patients to have these new high-tech drugs, under gubmint run health-care, where is the incentive to make any more technical breakthroughs?

Christian Conservative on August 3, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Those evil, evil, immoral pharmaceutical compaines…

Wyznowski on August 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Ed,

The news may be old, and even recycled, but it was never more timely.

Can you update us on what happened to this woman?

unclesmrgol on August 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I rented an episode of the British series “Midsomer Murders” from Netflix recently. “Blue Herrings” was about murders at a nursing home. After one old woman was smothered in her bed, as a mercy killing, the lead detective said something about “she had only two months left anyway,” and added that the jury probably would (should) be lenient toward her killer.

Good grief, even if the detective was right about the woman having only two months of life left, she still had two months! Maybe she would have wanted to have lived them — she certainly had the right to. Instead, her final memory of this life was being terrified as someone held a pillow over her face. I know it was only a TV show, but what that detective character said is the way millions of people think about the issue. Very scary.

The push for assisted suicide is part-and-parcel of the “conscience” issue for pharmacists (and for other healthcare workers as well). Many, if not most, people who want to kill themselves because they are facing catastrophic illnesses are clinically depressed, and can be helped through the proper medication. Pharmacists, who know that and went into the profession in order to help people be healthy and preserve their lives, may be ordered to dispense drugs that cause death instead of treating depression.

This moral dilemma will become more acute as we slide further toward the abyss.

KyMouse on August 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM

The story is timely.

The question is who can update the status on Barbara Wagner, the patient in the story?

slp on August 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM