Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on August 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Read Barack Obama’s lips — he won’t raise taxes on the middle class … except when he does, and he forgets about it.  In an interview last week with Business Week, Obama insisted that he was not a business-hostile, tax-and-spend Democrat.  In fact, Obama claimed he hasn’t signed a single bill that raised taxes (emphasis mine):

[Q:] A lot of business leaders consider you to be antibusiness. I was struck when I attended the Aspen Institute Ideas Festival. [Council of Economic Advisers member] Austan Goolsbee was speaking, and he hit a fairly hostile audience. These are wealthy, fairly progressive older people who had tended to support you, but they seemed very upset about corporate taxes, individual taxes, card check, all sorts of things you’re doing that they perceived as not helpful to them. What can you say to those people?

[A:] Let’s look at the record. I’ve been in office six months. So far my only tax policy has been to cut taxes for 95% of working people. I haven’t signed a bill that’s raised taxes yet. To the extent that we have put in place policies, they’ve all been directed at helping businesses.

That’s simply not true — nor has it been for six months.  As the blog Hope and Fail points out, Obama signed the $33 billion expansion of S-CHIP on February 4th, two weeks after his inauguration.  The S-CHIP expansion hiked taxes on cigarettes by 61 cents a pack, which certainly didn’t help businesses, including the tobacco industry or the retailers who sell their products.   This tax hike hit lower-income families hardest, as sin taxes are notoriously regressive in impact.

Perhaps Obama just forgot about it.  After all, with all the tax hikes we’ll be seeing, it will eventually be difficult to keep track which came first and when.

Addendum: Normally I’d put a link to Chris Muir’s Day by Day site here, but today I want to do more than that. Chris has a fundraising drive to keep his excellent cartoon alive.  Be sure to drop a few dollars in his collection to keep one of the Rightosphere’s most talented warriors in the fight!

Comments

That’s what we should rename the Progressives….Regressives.

Dr Evil on August 3, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Let’s look at the record.

= Let me be clear….

early dementia?…..nah

cmsinaz on August 3, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Let’s look at the record.
= Let me be clear….

early dementia?…..nah

cmsinaz on August 3, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I think it is more likely that he is just a liar. The good news is that the rats are abandoning ship quickly.

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Well, not only did he lie but he used the word yet, idicating he plans to.

boomer on August 3, 2009 at 8:15 AM

In his mind, we are all a bunch of idiots, so he can boldly lie time after time and get away with it. Who is going to call him out?

Glenn Beck seems to be the only one who has tried, and he’s been labeled a delusional, maniacal, conspiracy theory fueling, racist.

The key: “Let me be clear….” Barf.

tru2tx on August 3, 2009 at 8:17 AM

But its taxes as Obama defines them so he was still telling the truth.

rob verdi on August 3, 2009 at 8:18 AM

But Taxes on BAD-STUFF does not COUNT remember? Soon we will see 4$ taxes on bullets, sodapop and other BAD-STUFF which will help the economy right?

tx2654 on August 3, 2009 at 8:19 AM

This is another verbal tic, when Obama says he will not raise taxes on the middle class, he always adds “not one dime”.

The other night during his presser he said that ObamAssurance would not add to the federal deficit, “not one dime”.

myrenovations on August 3, 2009 at 8:19 AM

And the butt-kissing media does nothing!!!!!!!!! What a deplorable state they are in.They make me sick.Bush could not say anything w/out getting 2nd guessed.

ohiobabe on August 3, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Why don’t reporters call him on this stuff (rhetorical, but I’m still hoping they come around and grow a set). If he’s going to sit there and lie to them and the American people, he deserves to get skewered.

NickelAndDime on August 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM

In the words of the Great Bob Grant:

A Fake
Phony
Fraud!!!

I’m going to give 95 percent of Americans tax cuts!
(Except when I don’t)

I’m going to pull out of Iraq!
(Except when I don’t)

I’m going to provide health insurance to everyone!
(Except when I can’t)

I’m going to eat a cupcake!
(I love this stimulus!)

blatantblue on August 3, 2009 at 8:21 AM

tru2tx on August 3, 2009 at 8:17 AM

spot on….no one will call him on it in the MSM, except maybe Jake or Major (if they ever get called upon again)

cmsinaz on August 3, 2009 at 8:22 AM

It doesn’t matter to his followers…it just doesn’t matter. As long as they get what they want from the government, it doesn’t matter what Obama says. They only listen to what he says.

From Thomas Sowell:

An 18th century philosopher said, “When I speak I put on a mask. When I act I am forced to take it off.”

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 8:22 AM

“The failed policies of Barack Obama” needs to become a meme.

techno_barbarian on August 3, 2009 at 8:22 AM

That they are stupid.

He was clear before the election.

Thanks a lot, you freakin’ suckers….

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 8:24 AM

As a former smoker, I’m a tad mystified when a fellow addict doesn’t recall signing a law that would increase the price of his smokes. (Of course, this assumes he watches his own budget….)

apostic on August 3, 2009 at 8:24 AM

“Obama insisted that he was not a business-hostile, tax-and-spend Democrat.”

Well, he’s partially right. Barry is a business-hostile, tax-and-spend, America hating, lying sack of sh*t, Marxist.

Barb Dwyer on August 3, 2009 at 8:24 AM

B-b-b-b-b-but

but…

but

Bush!!!!

blatantblue on August 3, 2009 at 8:24 AM

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 8:22 AM

sad but true, total blinders on…you can’t reason with them in a civil conversation

cmsinaz on August 3, 2009 at 8:25 AM

He can say he hasn’t raised taxes, but there are about 40-45 million smokers who know he raised taxes every time they buy another pack, no matter what the big media outlets don’t say (I’m sure that group probably includes at least a few swing voters and Democrats who voted for Hope and Change and can now tell you first-hand that it’s not all it’s cracked up to be).

jon1979 on August 3, 2009 at 8:26 AM

The S-CHIP expansion hiked taxes on cigarettes by 61 cents a pack, which certainly didn’t help businesses, including the tobacco industry or the retailers who sell their products. This tax hike hit lower-income families hardest, as sin taxes are notoriously regressive in impact.

Sin taxes don’t count in the filthy liar’s accounting system. He views us as little children and when he taxes smokes he is only doing it for our own good. It is “tough love” and nothing more.

highhopes on August 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM

The man seems to be either unbelievably dishonest or delusional. I knew he was bad news, but I must admit I am shocked to see him crashing so soon.

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM

I think he is both unbelievably dishonest and delusional.

After all, it’s not really a lie if you believe it to be true.

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 8:30 AM

jon1979 on August 3, 2009 at 8:26 AM

I’m waiting to see how the filthy liar pushes through the idea of taxing the middle class. He can’t do it directly so I suspect that we will experience death by a thousand surcharges over the next few years of this failed administration.

highhopes on August 3, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Every time he says “let me be clear” reminds me of listening to ol Nixon and sometimes his voice even seems similar. This guy makes Nixon seem like a sunday school kid.

garydt on August 3, 2009 at 8:31 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM

The filthy liar in the White House has managed to get away with lying his entire political career. So long as he says it sincerely, the media has taken his side even when the lies have been far more transparent than anything else about this corrupt administration.

highhopes on August 3, 2009 at 8:32 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM

It’s hard to tell these days. I’m starting to think this man seriously believes if he says something enough times, it becomes true. Who can blame him when the media(and part of the electorate) is willing to play along?

Doughboy on August 3, 2009 at 8:32 AM

they all have to raise taxes if they promise so many “programs”.

but some of my uber liberal friends say they will gladly pay more taxes to increase “jobs”. these people just go to the country club so they don’t see what “jobs” are created (ACORN).

kelley in virginia on August 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM

He is dishonest.

He and his campaign promised the stars and the moon to voters. Obviously you can’t make good on such promises. Now they have to engage in the rhetoric of political maneuvering to make it seem like they are making good on those promises.

blatantblue on August 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 8:30 AM

My kids would tell you that anyway. I have to believe that he has no intention of a second term. I think he knows that all these things he is cramming down our throat will render him a one-termer. I think he doesn’t care, that his intention is to fundamentally change this country to his idea of social justice. He is a dangerous man.

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM

i think raising the taxes should get peoples’ attention. the healthcare debate is getting peoples’ attention.

we need to keep hammering. call a congressman today.

our new bumpersticker “have you called your congressman today?”

kelley in virginia on August 3, 2009 at 8:36 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Ohhhhh no

He wants that second term. Barack Obama doesn’t “do” one term.

He’s changing the world, one porkulo-nimbus bill at a time.

He wants eight years to, you know, reshape America’s “history and traditions.”

blatantblue on August 3, 2009 at 8:37 AM

blatantblue on August 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM

By the way, I am getting Hughesnet satellite internet next week. I will be joining the rest of you in high-speed.

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:38 AM

congrats txmomof3.

you’ll be able to keep up with all the news.

kelley in virginia on August 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Welcome to the Intertubez

:D

blatantblue on August 3, 2009 at 8:41 AM

CrockObama lied? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

Must not meddle in Iran, Israel, we can meddle.

QUESTION: Will we pay for this turds antics by raising taxes or generate an economic collapse?

With the increased spending and money printed, we can expect higher inflation ie; a tax increase via devalued dollar.

dthorny on August 3, 2009 at 8:41 AM

I must admit I am shocked to see him crashing so soon.

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Oh, he aint crashing yet, this is just a little spasm, the very first response of the body politic to the political poison that Barack Obama is.

Obama is a slow acting poison, a few light twitches at first a little nausea and vomiting, then a drowse euphoria similar to a heroin fix as you slip into a coma and never again regain conscienceness.

doriangrey on August 3, 2009 at 8:43 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM
Ohhhhh no

He wants that second term. Barack Obama doesn’t “do” one term.

He’s changing the world, one porkulo-nimbus bill at a time.

He wants eight years to, you know, reshape America’s “history and traditions.”

blatantblue on August 3, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Do we get to speak Austrian too? In all 57 states or just the muslim states as we are now, per CrockObama, a muslim nation?

dthorny on August 3, 2009 at 8:44 AM

kelley in virginia on August 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Thanks. Dial-up is horrible. Plus, it ties up our phone line. Every night when my husband is offshore we have to be off the internet for him to call. Plus I miss out on all the videos. I am looking forward to it.

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM

texasmom: we live in rural Southern Va. i feel your pain. thank goodness we live close enough to a Embarq line.

we will organize thru the internet.

kelley in virginia on August 3, 2009 at 8:48 AM

He is convinced that even if it is a provable lie, if he says it, it is truth. And the Obamabots swallow it every time.

ctmom on August 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM

agree with blatantblue
he wants that 2nd term, he’s been in campaign mode since Jan 20th…

cmsinaz on August 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Eek! Dial up? And I thought I was suffering because I can’t get my wireless router to cooperate…

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM

blatantblue on August 3, 2009 at 8:37 AM

I think you are correct in saying that he wants eight years; after all, he and MO are living the sweet life right now. They certainly won’t want that to end until it has to.

But I also think he knows the political climate will change with the more he tries to shove through, and as a result he knows he will have to get the majority of his agenda passed in his first term.

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 8:59 AM

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 8:59 AM

You know, I wouldn’t mind date night in NYC-all expenses paid. They are wallowing in it, aren’t they?

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 9:05 AM

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Like well fed hogs…

ladyingray on August 3, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Let me perfectly clear = Read my lips.

Barry will not be able to spin this. Methinks I see a downward spiral beginning after the last couple of weeks. Grab your popcorn, Gang.

kingsjester on August 3, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Let me BE perfectly clear.
Need more Diet Coke…stat.

kingsjester on August 3, 2009 at 9:08 AM

kingsjester on August 3, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Nothing like feeming for Diet Coke. It is painful.

TXMomof3 on August 3, 2009 at 9:13 AM

That’s exactly it. Zero does the repeat thing because with the MSM if you say it enough, they start printing it like it was true.

As far as cigarette taxes: O helped me in the long run. I just found Smoke Stiks (battery operated cigarette without tobacco or tars, but with nicotine and the “feel” of a cigarette). Don’t want to sound like a commercial but they do work for me.

katablog.com on August 3, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Dr Evil on August 3, 2009 at 8:09 AM

progressives for regression

Exactly. That was Marx’s intent. Socialism is neo-feudalism. In this pyramid of societal global governance, the master caste owns slaves. And resistance is futile.

To cut taxes, cut programs. To prevent new taxes, prevent new programs. Ex: cash for clunkers eventually moves on to cash for your business (GM prototype deal). And every tax-fund dollar that finds its way home to your benefit only cost you $1000. in your personal tax increase, no holds barred on how little you earn.

How do you know it’s a robbery?
The burglars force you to “Buck up!”

maverick muse on August 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM

highhopes on August 3, 2009 at 8:30 AM

food tax

maverick muse on August 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I can remember when evangelicals were looked upon with scorn for preaching against using tobacco products.

But that was Christian evangelicals. This is TeamProgessive evangelicalism.

davidk on August 3, 2009 at 9:40 AM

apostic on August 3, 2009 at 8:24 AM

He buys them on and Indian (excuse me, Native American) reservation.

davidk on August 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM

cmsinaz on August 3, 2009

They ceased to be watchdogs under Clinton and devolved into scorekeepers. The watchdog mentality returned under Bush and they subjected him to 24/7 anal exams. Now they are scorekeepers again. If they do their job at all depends entirely upon who they are doing their job for or against.
There isn’t even a pretense anymore of objectivity. They are happy to be cheerleaders of Obama. I can only guess that they believe he will magically return their ratings and readership long ago lost. How? Your guess is as good as mine.

SKYFOX on August 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

jon1979 on August 3, 2009 at 8:26 AM

You are wrong, from the leftist view, he didn’t raise taxes, prices increased…they had to increase to offset added health problems and money deficits.
But they did not do it to raise taxes, they did it to increase revenues.
Now you and I understand, but believe me, the 40-50 million smokers who smoke filled brains are dulled, and voted for Obama actually will not connect taxes and revenues. They think they are different, because they are different words, and none is subtracting, and one is adding.
The other sad commentary is that they think $1 in taxes, equals $1 in revenue…but they don’t take out the governments cut…so it is more like $1 in taxes, ends up being about 28 cents in revenues that can be distributed.

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Obama lies?????
Quelle surprize!

conservativegrandma on August 3, 2009 at 10:19 AM

How many days until the elections in November 2012?

I miss the countdown counter that used to be on http://www.tammybruce.com

Khun Joe on August 3, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I haven’t signed a bill that’s raised taxes yet.

Of course what’s bound to happen now is that all the Democrat talking heads will be filling the airways and word-ways with the appropriate interpretations of what Obama ‘meant’ when he said “taxes”. The talking points memos will have filled up many an e-mail box this morning for sure! Wonder what Gibbsy’s inbox looked like?

GW Bush may have had dyslexia and bumbled words now an then, but he never needed a legion of interpreters to translate for the public what he said into what he actually meant to say.

KendraWilder on August 3, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Well if you are Obama, and you run “taxes” through an anagram software, you get”

Texas
Taxes
Sat Ex
At Sex
Ax Set

I’m pretty sure BHO will want nothing to do with “Texas”, nor “At Sex”. but you can be pretty sure that “Ax Set” is the reality that is about to befall the American taxpayer..

Yoop on August 3, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Truth and facts are racist!

jukin on August 3, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Well… that’s technically true, it won’t be “one dime”.

It’ll be more like a kajillion dimes.

jana on August 3, 2009 at 10:56 AM

An accomplished con man, add to that an affirmed prevaricator wouldn’t know the truth even if it bit him on the a$$. Obama can not answer a simple straightforward question to save his life. Obama is the head of the Kleptocratic party. In essence it is a where a body of government seizes control over private the sector through legislative means. When a government spends more money than it has on hand or the projections of future tax revenues at the present tax rate, the only plausible solution for the for the government to keep on growing is to increase taxes not only for the rich but everyone across the board.

The kleptocats in the democratic party showed their ultimate desires back on May 23rd of 2008, Maxine Waters makes the mistake of blundering into saying out loud exactly what leftists believe; ‘The government should just take over the whole industry, so you just watch your attitude Mister Big Oil Company man.’

We’ve known about big government and their intentions for a long time now. What are we the people going to do about it other than the TEA PARTIES?

kleptocracy n. , pl. -cies . A government characterized by rampant greed and corruption.

Americannodash on August 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM

QOTD as well –

gopmom on August 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I haven’t signed a bill that’s raised taxes yet.

Yet. Didn’t Geithner just say that ObamaCare would require a middle-class tax increase? Whose lips should we read?

He’s right. Not one dime. Trillions of dimes.

Steve Z on August 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Instead of “socialism” on the poster (see link),

I’d like to see that graphic with

“Read My Lips: No New Taxes”

Lockstein13 on August 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I’m a little slow today, but just saw this:

Maybe he meant no gnu taxes. – Ed

Hillarious if it weren’t so scary. But thanks for the laugh, Ed.

Christian Conservative on August 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM

He did say no new taxes, but it didn’t count because he had his ears crossed.

Maquis on August 3, 2009 at 4:01 PM

KendraWilder on Au

And neither does Obama.

His statements were clear.
Even when asked for clarifications “does he only mean income taxes” he was absolutely clear!

No family making less than $250,000 will see “any form of tax increase.”
“I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.
any form of tax increase
Not your income tax
not your payroll tax
not your capital gains taxes
not any of your taxes.

He repeatedly vowed “you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime.”

Obama also promised that S-CHIP along with HIS health care reform would be fully covered on the RICH alone!

Obama said in the campaign that Americans could have both — a broad boost in affordable health insurance for the nation without raising taxes on anyone but the rich.

His detailed campaign plan stated that his proposed improvement in health insurance and health technology “is more than covered” by raising taxes on the wealthy alone.

It was not based on raising the tobacco tax.

An unequivocal “any tax” pledge also was heard in the vice presidential debate, another prominent forum.

“No one making less than $250,000 under Barack Obama’s plan will see one single penny of their tax raised,” Joe Biden said, “whether it’s their capital gains tax, their income tax, investment tax, any tax.”

The Democratic campaign used such statements to counter Republican assertions that Obama would raise taxes in a multitude of direct and indirect ways, recalled Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

“I think a reasonable person would have concluded that Senator Obama had made a ‘no new taxes’ pledge to every couple or family making less than $250,000,” she said.

Jamieson noted GOP ads that claimed Obama would raise taxes on electricity and home heating oil.

“They rebutted both with the $250,000 claim,” she said of the Obama campaign,

so they did extend the rebuttal beyond income and payroll

.”

DSchoen on August 3, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Well, that was a tax on tobacco, not on people.

You see? Anything can be explained if you’re smart enough, are a narcissist, and have no respect for the truth.

Loxodonta on August 3, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Well, that was a tax on tobacco, not on people.

Loxodonta on August 3, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Recreational drugs don’t pay taxes, people pay taxes! Smelly people in this case. ;)

Maquis on August 3, 2009 at 8:15 PM