Quote of the day

posted at 10:15 pm on July 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

“‘Could I mention, Steve, that I kept hearing during the campaign the stuff about McCain being weak on economics. They obsessed about this in the media. They never said Obama is weak on economics. I came to Washington as a Reaganite limited government tax cutter.’ He’s right about the media treatment. Neither candidate had a strong command of economics—certainly not Mr. Obama, as events have shown…

‘I remember being on the phone with President Bush, Vice President Cheney, the Treasury secretary and [Fed Chairman Ben] Bernanke. They assure me the world financial system is going to collapse if I don’t vote for the bill. So I do the impetuous and rash thing by saying, look, I have got to go back to Washington and see how I can help. And by the way, so did Obama—but it was McCain that was the impetuous one. Obama came back to Washington.’ Mr. McCain grumbles, ‘He was at the White House with me. But he wasn’t impetuous.’ This is the only time in our interview he shows any bitterness about the campaign…

‘Let’s face it,’ he says, ‘she galvanized our base in a way that I couldn’t. Everywhere she went she drew enormous and enthusiastic crowds like a rock star.’ He says his only regret in selecting the Alaska governor was that no one on the campaign predicted the ferocity of the assaults against her. ‘To the liberal left, particularly the feminists, she is their worst nightmare.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Well, QOD does have Sarah Palin in it even if only implied.

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 10:19 PM

What? Eight years of Bush hatred built to a fevered pitch and fed by the most hysterical claims the nation has ever heard?

The left is nothing but hate, that goes double for those “minorities” who dared to wander off the reservation.

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM

This McCain propelled him to the lead…then got all squishy when the crowds were begging him to call Obama on his terrorist ties.

SouthernGent on July 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Good points Mr. McCain. I never thought you were a bad guy. I did disagree with you on lots of things. . . and it would have been nice if you didn’t call the NC GOP a bunch of racists. But I agree with everything you say here.

ThackerAgency on July 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Don’t tell TerryAnn ;)

This is the only time in our interview he shows any bitterness about the campaign.

That’s why, as Rush said, Obama is the media’s Waterloo. I’m sorry McCain had such a rude awakening. If he had been quicker on the uptake, maybe he wouldn’t have been so trusting.

Unfortunately, his daughter seems to have taken his position as media fav b/c of ‘mavericky’ views (ie criticizing other GOP positions).

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

They never said Obama is weak on economics.

That’s the understatement of the century. Forget economics, The Precedent’s understanding of mathematics doesn’t even rise to the level of the average 10th grader. Add in his love of marxism and his thirst for revenge against the West and you’ve got an economic suicide bomb ready to go.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Can you believe they are putting $6 million of pork into Homeland Security?” he asks with his trademark clenched-fists. “They promised they wouldn’t do that. Ben Nelson [the Democratic senator from Nebraska] just inserted a $200,000 museum in Omaha into the legislative branch appropriations bill. These earmarks are a creeping disease. First members condemn them, then they condone, then they embrace them.” Then Mr. McCain adds, “Eight or nine Republican appropriators routinely vote for this pork.” Shaking his head he says, “It’s killing our party.”

————————————————————

“Its killing our party”

Memo to Queeg McCain,who’s party!!

canopfor on July 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

The U.S. is indeed doomed.

artist on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM

There is quite a lot of hate on this site, too. I’ll never forget the celebratory comments when it was confirmed that Ted Kennedy was still being killed by a tumor growing in his brain.

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

‘Let’s face it,’ he says, ’she galvanized our base in a way that I couldn’t. Everywhere she went she drew enormous and enthusiastic crowds like a rock star.’ He says his only regret in selecting the Alaska governor was that no one on the campaign predicted the ferocity of the assaults against her. ‘To the liberal left, particularly the feminists, not to mention members of my own campaign she is their worst nightmare.’”

It only took you nearly a year McAmnesty, I was so if you’re looking to mend some fences here, don’t bother, oh, and btw…FIFY

Rogue on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Ok, so they were “unprepared” for the ferocity. Fine, but why didn’t they ramp up their game once they received the reaction they received? It’s like they just gave up.

Maybe they wanted to help Michelle Obama’s children?

BlameAmericaLast on July 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Let’s face it,’ he says, ’she galvanized our base in a way that I couldn’t.

I was already “galvanized” before Palin.

Simple matter is, “the base” couldn’t, and wouldn’t, rally behind McCain after the Palin pick. Oh, the hoopla lasted a few days, but then when the Left started to drag Palin and family through the mud, she was the focus of both Left and Right. And it was McCain who was running for POTUS.

So she ended up being a huge distraction.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM

If you thought that the senior senator from Arizona would ride off into the political sunset last November, inconsolable after losing his bid for the presidency, think again. He’s over it. And he’s as energized and spry as ever I’ve known him.
———————————————————–

Good luck on that, ‘McCains Mutiny’,won’t happen again!

canopfor on July 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM

We would be so much better off with McCain/Palin.

Terrye on July 31, 2009 at 10:25 PM

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Kennedy is a killer, a liar and a traitor.

artist on July 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

“They assure me the world financial system is going to collapse if I don’t vote for the bill.”

Now what could have possibly………….

…………. caused that?

Seven Percent Solution on July 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I think McCain has every right to be disgusted and mad or maybe even feel betrayed with the way this election went.

CCRWM on July 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

DaveS, you are avoiding Bishop’s point. You don’t excuse bad behavior by pointing to more bad behavior.

Bishop is right. The Left is filled with Hate.

BlameAmericaLast on July 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Any who made that kind of statement were condemned by the community and hit with the ban hammer. We were even warned in advance by (by Ed if memory serves).

Laura in Maryland on July 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Eh, I’m sure there were also those here who berated the ones who were celebrating.

Who on the left with any real stature stood-up for Palin when she was being shredded,and I’m not talking about some guy saying “Ok, be nice now.”

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:27 PM

And as Joe The Plumber, who was the one to get the idiot messiah to reveal his true intentions to those blinded by change – tried to warn everyone about. I am still amazed that it came down to Joe The Plumber to start to open many people’s eyes about what the idiot messiah really wanted. And Joe was 100% right about saying that a vote for the idiot messiah was a vote for the death of Israel – which the McCain campaign quickly denied … being wrong again.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Well, QOD does have Sarah Palin in it even if only implied.

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Then lets make it overt and clear:

His fondness for Mrs. Palin and her family strikes me as from the heart; he believes she was a net asset for the ticket.

“Let’s face it,” he says, “she galvanized our base in a way that I couldn’t…

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Oh please. Does anybody remember what DKOS and crew said about Tony Snow and his cancer?

Sorry DaveS, we get an eternal mulligan for anything Kennedy. We’ve earned it.

Sapwolf on July 31, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Poor Teddy.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

PoverP….

Juan Queeg only knows how to attack Republicans, I am still waiting for him to “name names” that include donks….

sven10077 on July 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

So she ended up being a huge distraction.
JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Palin didn’t bring it on herself, as you said the left attacked and far too many on the right decided to go along, most of whom didn’t know jack-shiite beyond what the MSM ho’s told them.

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

You’ll never forget them because they are products of your fevered imagination. You just replaced the name “Snow” in some DKos posts with “Kennedy” and *poof* no more cognitive disonance.

TMK on July 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

sven10077 on July 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Heh. My kidneys will fail long before that happens.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM

DaveS: Heres the thread,I don’t see much HATE that you
speak of!

canopfor on July 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I agree with McCain completely. The media was 100% against her and made it their priority to destroy her. The problem was after the election instead of ignoring them and governing Alaska, Palin fed the beast with all of her silly statements and constant interviewing.

I don’t blame her for losing it when the MSM went after her kids. But she lost me with that rambling speech earlier in the week.. It was self-defeating.

Lance Murdock on July 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I don’t believe that…

CCRWM on July 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM

You keep thinking that.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Sorry DaveS, we get an eternal mulligan for anything Kennedy. We’ve earned it.

Sapwolf on July 31, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Neither of you are right. Except the part about Tony Snow…the lefty blogs were filled with “he deserves to die” posts on that.

In fairness, the vast majority of HA comments on Kennedy’s cancer were of prayers for him and family. And no, Sapwolf…we don’t earn the same vile hate to throw back. We’re better than that.

In related news, I didn’t see it reported here yet, Chris Dodd announced today he has prostate cancer. We’ll see if we can be as cordial with wishing him well too.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Yes Mr. Bishop, how could any Republican strategist not anticipate the ferocious character assassination to which Gov. Palin was subjected?

Moreover, were they so technologically backward that they were helpless against David Axerod’s vicious flash-mob astroturfing of Gov. Palin?

Mike OMalley on July 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

One thing I had no illusions about back in August last year:

I knew they were gonna go apesh*t if he picked Sarah and try to destroy. I had absolutely no illusions at all.

What surprised me was that the McCain campaign knew nothing about Sarah. I could have consulted with them free on a single phone call to give them some simple tips, like “hey, they are gonna try to crucify her”.

Adam Brickley and his site trained me well for 7 months.

Sapwolf on July 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM

We’ll see.
If she runs, how strong will his support for her be?
That’ll be the question.
Like Jeb Bush’s support for Charlie Crist,
Or Algore’s support for Liebercrud.

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I never said she did bring it on herself. But it happened regardless. And because of all the attention Palin was getting from bot sides, McCain fell to the wayside.

It’s why McCain never stood a chance.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Was in headlines.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Oh, the hoopla lasted a few days,

Don’t downplay her effect. Palin got McCain a lead. The minute he got that lead he started talking about how SHmnesty was going to be his highest priority. He would not allow himself to win.

The milquetoast people on the right (or so they claimed to be) who attacked Palin were not the same people on the right who despised McCain. You understand that, right?

And it was McCain who was running for POTUS.

So she ended up being a huge distraction.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM

She was not a distraction. She attracted people to the ticket .. and then the left and the snotty segment of the right tried to smear her and tear her to shreds.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Was in headlines.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Oops.

I blame beer.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Can you believe they are putting $6 million of pork into Homeland Security?”

“It’s killing our party.”

UGH!

It’s like planting flowers at Gettysburg Cemetery ridge, sweeping the streets of Hiroshima, or rearranging deck chairs on the titanic…

1.5 TRILLION obamacare, 1 TRILLION cap and trade, 23 TRILLION budget over a decade……..

And he whines about 6 mil…

oh John, if only you talked about earmarks more, you might have won!!!!!!!

battleoflepanto1571 on July 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Look – McCain was flogging in the polls when TARP came along – he may think he went back to D.C. to “save” the nation – but to me, it looked like political maneuvering – it looked remarkably like political maneuvering. Would have been okay if he’d gone back to DEMONSTRATE his “Maverick” status – but he didn’t. He served NO purpose there (regardless of what anyone says). Had he gone back – and refused to throw our money into that worthless hole – it would have helped him. If he had turned TARP into a Bush / Reid / Pelosi bill – it would have helped him (and the GOP). Instead, he pulled the Socialist lever and it bit him in the ass. That’s not Ogabe’s fault.

He’s right about Palin though.

HondaV65 on July 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

In 2012, I doubt John McCain will have much impact on or play in the presidential campaign.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

The MSM are a bunch of freakin’ weasels.
With all my qualms about McCain, he would have been far superior to this idiot occupying the White House.
However, McCain became a wuss. He would not attack Obama’s socialist relationships, his insanely liberal policies and votes, nor would he adamantly defend Palin and us conservatives.
We have the most radical and dangerous president in the history of the US. Obama is 1000 times worse than Carter.

jencab on July 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Lance Murdock on July 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM

What are you talkin about? You mean Sunday? It was a great speech and clear to everybody I know who saw it.

Sapwolf on July 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

McCain would’ve done better if he didn’t think it would be such a friggin’ honor to lose to the first Black President.

PackerBronco on July 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

You live in a dream world. Again no attacks on her beliefs, accomplishments just opinions on the problem. She can and will turn out the base.

Herb on July 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM

PoverP yeah Jetboy’s correct…..Palin was a huge distraction from Queeg doing his Mickey Rooney the Shamesty Wizard impersonation….

“thank God we dodged that Sarah Palin bullet” is something soccer mom GOPers need beaten with when they can’t get their kids tonsils yanked with an abcess…

sven10077 on July 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Oops.

I blame beer.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Ahhh, alcohol.
The cause of, and solution to all of life’s little problems…

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM

More stupidity: McCain believes Obama was elected to govern as a centrist. Why?
And now he’s hollering at the pigs to come home, while he’s in the barn and they run the farm.
I’m living in bedlam.

Randy

williars on July 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I won’t back down from that. Anyone who looks at what Kennedy did at Chappaquidick knows that he’s nothing more than a P.O.S. and when he dies I hope his last moments feel like an eternal agony, gasping for breath that won’t come – just like he left Mary Jo.

If you have a problem with that, then bite me.

PackerBronco on July 31, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Oops.

I blame beer.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM

The Dodd thread was scrubbed from headlines.

thomasaur on July 31, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Sapwolf on July 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Sorry it didn’t do anything for me. Plus, the media finally destroyed her sanity in the last month which makes me think as president she couldn’t handle the press or a hostile Congress.

She would be better off as the RNC chair, cheer-leading the conservative cause.

Lance Murdock on July 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Ahhh, alcohol.
The cause of, and solution to all of life’s little problems…

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Homer no function beer well without.

Priming myself for a night of clubbin’. After this week, I deserve it. And the hangover I’ll have.

She can and will turn out the base.

Herb on July 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Again, I’m no Palinista, but if she WERE to be the nominee in ’12, I would campaign hard for her. Much unlike those who just couldn’t for McCain…with Palin on the ticket no less.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

‘They assure me the world financial system is going to collapse if I don’t vote for the bill. So I do the impetuous and rash thing by saying, look, I have got to go back to Washington and see how I can help. And by the way, so did Obama—but it was McCain that was the impetuous one. Obama came back to Washington.’ Mr. McCain grumbles

Suspending the campaign and going back to Washington was the right thing to do. McCain’s problem was to collapse and go to that moronic debate (as if a Presidential debate is the most important thing in the world) and then to let the idiot messiah’s campaign and the MSM call your actions “erratic” without defending yourself, at all. On top of it, you didn’t hammer the moron on Fannie and Freddie and lay the blame for the crisis at the doorstep of the scumbag libs and their social engineering, but let them rant on unopposed for a month, blaming the right for everything in the world. The credit crisis argument was yours to lose … and you lost it – you threw it away. Then that moronic idea of paying everyone’s mortgages, that you threw out at the last debate, was the cherry on top of the surrender.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Don’t know much about arithmetic
Don’t know much about producing energy
Don’t know much about an economics book
Don’t know much about the constitutional law I took

But I do know that I would love imposing Marxism on you
And I know that if you would just love Lenin too
What a wonderful socialist country this would be

La ta ta ta ta ta ta
(Arithmetic)
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
(Producing energy)
La ta ta ta ta ta ta
(Economics book)
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
(Constitutional law I took)

But I do know that I would love imposing Marxism on you
And I know that if you would just love Lenin too
What a wonderful socialist country this would be

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on July 31, 2009 at 10:47 PM

She would be better off as the RNC chair, cheer-leading the conservative cause.

Lance Murdock on July 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Thank God we have a man of sober and subtle power and tact in office now eh?

sven10077 on July 31, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I supported McCain during the campaign because He was the strongest most experienced candidate when it came to national defence, the war on terror, and forign policy. His selection of Sarah Palin sealed the deal for me but in the end the election I belive was ultimatly decided by the financial crisis and the perception by people that it was caused by mismanagment on behalf of George Bush and the GOP which resulted in a throw the bums out mentality in the electorate.

Dreadnought223 on July 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Thanks for that.

To me, when it comes to matters life, illness, suffering and death, politics shouldn’t matter. So yes, I wish Senator Dodd does well, and this challenge causes as little suffering as possible to him and those who love him.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM

The Dodd thread was scrubbed from headlines.

thomasaur on July 31, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I searched for it, and didn’t see it.

Don’t tell me…I hope it wasn’t because of vile comments left…but I’ll assume it was. Shame. If that’s true, shame on all who left comments like that.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Ahhh, alcohol.
The cause of, and solution to all of life’s little problems…

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM

No beer, no TV (or Hot Air) makes Homer go, something, something…

Crazy?

Don’t mind if I do…

Lance Murdock on July 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM

So she ended up being a huge distraction.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I saw people who never voted or got excited about politics get out and vote because of Palin. At worst it was a mix of both your theory and my theory.

portlandon on July 31, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Man, these Palin threads just aren’t what they used to be; not even 75 comments yet.

Maybe try some different voices for QOTD?

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Dear Leader Barack Obama’s economic plans will work perfectly. I have worked it all out mathematically.

Let me see now, four million times five million is twelve million, and four billion times six billion is thirteen billion, and four trillion times seven trillion is … … oh my! We shall never get to economic recovery and prosperity at that rate! However, the multiplication table doesn’t really apply. Let’s try geography. Iraq borders Pakistan, the center of the Universe was Iraq but now it’s Afghanistan, America has 57 states, Minnesota is in the tropics. No, that’s all wrong, But geography doesn’t really apply either, I’m certain! Let’s try religion. Jews were behind 9/11, Palestinians are victims, Saudi Arabia is our good friend and Islam is a great religion of peace. No, that’s all wrong too! Maybe if Brack Obama just starts all over and this time he reads the directions then perhaps directly he will be able to direct us all in the right direction.

Cheshire Cat on July 31, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Is McCain starting to wake up to the fact that the left plays dirty. Has anyone explained ACORN to this guy?

Maybe, just maybe Republicans will learn that they can fight back… it will earn them more respect than they think.

Laura in Maryland on July 31, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Thank God we have a man of sober and subtle power and tact in office now eh?

sven10077 on July 31, 2009 at 10:48 PM

The Precedent: “Whites act stupidly. …. Kegger!”

I wonder if The Precedent told Crowley that he’s the only thing standing between Crowley and the pitchforks? Or maybe it was just the parsimonious, “I won!”

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:52 PM

sven10077 on July 31, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Hey, I’m no Obama fan. But let’s not kid ourselves here. We had a weak candidate in McCain, but we’ll make up the losses of the last two elections in 2010. The purge was good for the Republicans, they lost their way and are going back to their roots now.

Lance Murdock on July 31, 2009 at 10:52 PM

This is the part of the interview that made me scream:

He seems perplexed that his pals in the media turned on him in 2008 after years of worshipful press treatment. “In 2000 [when he ran against George W. Bush] I used to go chat with reporters on the back of the bus, and we would have these long, pleasant conversations . . . . I was the underdog clawing my way up. But then in 2008, I noticed that it would be kind of a gotcha session with the press—a totally more hostile attitude.”

Yet conservatives had warned Mr. McCain that he would remain a media darling up until the moment he won the GOP nomination, at which time they would rip him apart. I’m only surprised that he was surprised this happened.

How many times did we try to warn you, Mac? Yet you just wouldn’t listen to us.

yogi41 on July 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM

The Dodd thread was scrubbed from headlines.

thomasaur on July 31, 2009 at 10:43 PM

If by scrubbed you mean it’s right here, then, yeah it was scrubbed.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

She didn’t do herself any favors. Weak, repetitive speeches: Alaska, pipeline, drill here, John McCain is a great American. Over and over.

Palin trying to portray herself as an expert on energy…please. I’ve spent 25 years in HR: I know a puffed-up resume when I see one.

Nice lady. Decent governor of 48th-most-populated state in America. Good values. Nice family.

But she never did her homework.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I agree with that and I would not say anything ill of someone with whom I merely have political disagreements. However with Kennedy it goes to the issue of a person essentially committing manslaughter and not only getting away with it, but being lionized and decorated while his action and culpability being shoved under the carpet merely because of his last name.

PackerBronco on July 31, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I hear that, Lox.

We may not agree on everything, but I always respect ya.

I may get into some debauchery later tonight..if all goes well…but I’ll be at Mass on Sunday as always.

No one should wish ill on a fellow human being. Well, bin-Laden and his ilk…maybe not. But that’s me. Chris Dodd, lefty he is, is my Senator.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:55 PM

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

At least no one drove him into the lake…

Wolftech on July 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM

If I may offer my two cents:

When it comes to how Palin affected my Republican and conservative friends’ support for the GOP ticket, there were several camps (and note, I am in New York):

There are those who liked Palin but still sat out the election (or voted third party) because they despised McCain.

There are those who were compelled to vote for McCain because of Sarah (case in point – my Paulbot friend who not only enthusiastically supported the ticket but who got her family to donate over $400 to the campaign after her selection).

There are those who would have voted for McCain no matter what but were further compelled by Sarah’s selection.

There are those who were disappointed in Sarah but who voted for McCain anyway because they disliked Obama so much.

I can only think of one person who supported Obama after supporting McCain because of Sarah joining the ticket – and he’s an anti-Christian, socially liberal bigot.

Anyone else have thoughts on the matter? How did your Republican/conservative friends react to the Sarah pick?

Damian G. on July 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM

This is the part of the interview that made me scream:

How many times did we try to warn you, Mac? Yet you just wouldn’t listen to us.

yogi41 on July 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM

What a freaking dolt. Meghan Fox could run as a Republican and the press would tear her to shreds. I guess he thought he had charisma.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM

The Dodd thread was scrubbed from headlines.

thomasaur on July 31, 2009 at 10:43 PM

No it wasn’t. Newer posts just pushed it off the front page. I had to go back about three pages to find it, but it’s still there.

backwoods conservative on July 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I’ve said it before, you’re a gem.

Laura in Maryland on July 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Cheshire Cat on July 31, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Don’t forget how he told a crowd that 10,000 people had just died in that tornado. 10,000 people! And the press acted like it was a minor error with numbers. It is amazing to think about it. 10,000 people … Er … I mean 12 people.

Unreal.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Damian G. on July 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM

With enthusiasm.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2009 at 10:58 PM

If by scrubbed you mean it’s right here, then, yeah it was scrubbed.

Spirit of 1776 on July 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Cool…I couldn’t find it.

A quick scan of comments doesn’t do my heart good. Not a lot of vileness, but not a lot of care either.

Gotta run. My future ex awaits.

Peace out.

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:58 PM

JetBoy on July 31, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Sorry JetBoy, but I must respectfully disagree.

Kennedy and Dodd and their ilk have done far more harm to America than Bin Laden ever did.

I shed no tears.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM

You’re definitely a better man than I.
Chris Dodd, et al are the enemies of freedom and corrupt to the bone.
I prefer to see all enemies defeated. Even the ultimate defeat.
I am not above that.

Lance Murdock on July 31, 2009 at 10:49

Stupid bug! You go squish now!

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Damian G. on July 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Those of us who knew her story before she was picked for the ticket were ecstatic and gave money we never would have given to, say, McCain/Ridge.

But after the convention, we began to have doubts.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I am not above that.

Lance Murdock on July 31, 2009 at 10:49

Well and honestly said, my man.

And let me add Elizabeth Edwards to the list.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Well and honestly said, my man.

And let me add Elizabeth Edwards to the list.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I see we see eye to eye, at least on that issue.

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Maybe try some different voices for QOTD?

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:50 PM

O/T,Bishop: Have you see any of these!!

Shootout/Return to Fallujah.

Shootout/Iraq’s Ambush Alley.

canopfor on July 31, 2009 at 11:04 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 11:03 PM

And, of course, on the gun-toting issue.

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Maybe try some different voices for QOTD?

Bishop on July 31, 2009 at 10:50 PM

That would be nice and it’s not like there’s no new material out there. There were quite a few good ones in that letter that Skippy Gates daughter wrote.

Oh well. Over and out.

Knucklehead on July 31, 2009 at 11:07 PM

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Don’t forget the 57 states or the 8-10 years as President…

Does this guy have a problem with numbers or what?

Wolftech on July 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 11:01 PM

You’re definitely a better man than I.

Chris Dodd, et al are the enemies of freedom and corrupt to the bone.

I prefer to see all enemies defeated. Even the ultimate defeat.

Agreed. But at the elections.

I won’t pretend I’m something I’m not. I am filled with rage sometimes over lefties and what they’ve done to this country. Hate is a natural human emotion and I won’t deny myself like so many on our side when they say that “we’re above that.” I am not above that.

I don’t blame you at all for being angry. Now, take all that energy and work hard to help build a winning coalition to defeat the Leftists. And if you can’t help defeat them all, defeat as many as you can.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM

“Never. Never have I seen such a transfer from the private enterprise system to the government of such massive scale,” he says. He goes through the list: car companies, banks, insurance firms owned by government, and he especially grimaces when he mentions the $787 billion stimulus package.

Wait a minute, didn’t McCain endorse and vote for the bill pertaining to banks and insurance firms? Why, yes, he did.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Don’t forget the 57 states or the 8-10 years as President…

Does this guy have a problem with numbers or what?

Wolftech on July 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM

He’s got a huge problem with numbers, but he also just has no idea about America, either. But, that’s what you’d expect to get with a pretty dumb kid who was raised in Indonesia as a muslim.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Damian G. on July 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM

My in-laws who were republicans voted for Obama becase Oprah told my mother-in law too. She liked Palin, but Oprah was too strong an endorsment for her and her coffee cake book club crowd.

My wife and her 2 sisters (one is prochoice) actually got involved in the campaign. My wife who NEVER allows bumper stickers on her car suddenly wanted a McCain/Palin sticker…but only on the back window, not on the paint. The 3 of them volunteered at a campaign office for the first time ever. They made friends and enjoyed it.

I donated money I was saving for a paint job for my classic car. (Which anyone who knows me will tell you was a HUGE thing) I really liked Palin, her message, her attitude, and her fiscal record in Alaska. I hadn’t felt this excited about a candiate since I was a kid in Reagan’s ’84 campaign. I just really fell Palin is not a liar. I can trust her and how many people can say that about a politician?

She needs to polish up on stuff if she wants to get to the white house. This is not some impossible feat. I am sure Pawlenty, Jindal, and Romney are studying foreign issues, global issues, domestic economics etc as well. 3 1/2 years is a long time, although Obama has made 6 months feel like 10 years.

portlandon on July 31, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Or maybe it was just the parsimonious, “I won!”

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I’ve got no moral strings
To hold me down
To make me fret, or make me frown
I once had some small moral strings
But now I’m completely free
There are no longer any moral strings on me

Hi-ho the me-ri-o, I won!!!
That’s the only way to go
I want you to know
Nothing moral ever worries me

Hi-ho the me-ri-o, I won!!!
I’m as happy as can be
I want you to know
Nothing moral ever worries me

I’ve got no moral strings
So I have fun
I’m not tied up to the moral strings of anyone
They’ve got moral strings
But as you can see
There are no moral strings on me

Cheshire Cat on July 31, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Will Mr. Obama ever move to the center as President Clinton did? “He will may try to, but he’s got an overwhelmingly liberal Congress and his political instincts are to move to the left. It’s not an accident that he has the most liberal voting record in the United States Senate,”

That’s a good statement, although I made one correction.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

McCain is and was his own worst enemy.

BTW-Shame on you (McCain) for spawning such a brat too.

purgatory on July 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM

If we only had some righties (other than Sarah) who would fight more vocally.
Where’s a new Newt when we need him?
I need a macaca moment.
Awright, goin’ to get beers, now.
And I gotta be up at the crack of eight and work manana.

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

DaveS on July 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM

God has given Teddy Kennedy 40 years of life that he didn’t give to Mary Jo Kopechne. I don’t wish Teddie ill – but I do say that God has been particularly merciful in allowing him 40 years more life than the woman he is responsible for killing.

As far as Dodd goes – I hope he gets better – but I think his announcement is a publicity stunt because he’s tanking in the polls. If he want to improve his health – it would help him holistically if he would give up his life of crime in Congress and go relax in his country home in Ireland.

HondaV65 on July 31, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Kennedy is a killer, a liar and a traitor.

artist on July 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM

and an ass hat

Alden Pyle on July 31, 2009 at 11:19 PM

and an ass hat

Alden Pyle on July 31, 2009 at 11:19 PM

And part of a family who probably had the most destructive influence on traditional American culture.
The only thing you can hope for is Divine retribution on his sorry ass.
OK. Really going for beers, now!
Yes, I know beer is singular and plural.

Lanceman on July 31, 2009 at 11:22 PM