Poll: 28% of Republicans don’t believe Obama was born in America? Update: Skeptics mostly southern

posted at 12:05 pm on July 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

On the one hand, the poll was sponsored by … Daily Kos. On the other hand, Research 2000 is a reputable pollster as far as I know and the way they posed the question wasn’t slanted.

The survey of American adults asked, “Do you believe that Barack Obama was born in the United States of America or not?” It found that 77% of Americans answer affirmatively, 11% say “no,” with the balance unsure.

Notably, that 11% closely tracks the — extremely stable — share of the electorate that thought Obama was a Muslim, bolstering the notion that there’s a certain share of the party’s base (and this may well hold for both parties) that isn’t about to let facts get in the way of negative views of a president of the opposite party…

With nearly a third of Republicans believing the theory, you can see why Republican politicians are inclined to treat it with some respect.

Party-line breakdowns: Dems 93/4/3 (the last figure is “don’t know”), Indies 83/8/9, and GOP … 42/28/30. Fully 58 percent of Republicans aren’t willing to accept a state-issued Certification of Live Birth as proof that The One was born in Honolulu? I’m skeptical, but, er, not so skeptical that I’m willing to poll this myself at HA. Sounds like a job for Scott Rasmussen. How about it, Scottster?

Update: Voinovich 1, Vitter 0.

Only 47 percent of Southern respondents believe Obama was born in the USA. By contrast, 93 percent of Northeasterns said yes, he was born here, 90 percent of Midwesterners did and 87 percent of Westerners.

Wow.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14

From the headlines I just posted pro and con argument going on Logistic’s Monster’s post on this subject, for this Kenyan Birth Certificate. Why are the OBOTS out in force to knock this one down? The legitimacy of this document doesn’t intrigue me as much as The Birther Issue still being such a hot topic and the response from the OBOTS. Why bother to send out the OBOTS in force to knock down a forgery?

Dr Evil on August 3, 2009 at 8:58 AM

So spotting a forgery makes people “obots” if it does not support the pet theory?

Debunking nonsense like that is good no matter who is doing it, no matter who is is against. I am not going to support things like that, just because I do not like Obama.

Was it wrong when Charles Johnson debunked the forgery that Dan Rather would not let go of?

firepilot on August 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM

What was the name of the hospital in Hawaii? I am sure they would LOVE the get media exposure (BIRTHPLACE OF THE 44th PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!! National Historical Register, I hear you calling!), possibly set up tours of the birthing ward and ACTUAL ROOM that Obama was born in, put a plaque on the front door, sell tickets… Something like that…

Same same for the doctor’s name? I would think he would want that in his official biography… or on his tombstone…

Just show me the long form… I know what hospital I was born in AND my doctor’s name, and that was 50 years ago this month… And I don’t know where “he” was born…

Khun Joe on August 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I’m not bothered by the Republic did not exist argument. I’m going to assume that the forger knew what he was doing and created this thing to look like documents that were being issued at that time….

It would be relatively simple to get this right. Go to Kenya, find someone who is 47, get a copy of his birth certificate, and duplicate the form. I will be highly surprised if that is the defect. However, I am not surprised that the legion of doubters are throwing out defect after defect to discredit the document in a knee jerk reaction. Orly is trying to have it authenticated. Let’s wait and see.

Hey, maybe it is real. I still think Bambi was born in Hawaii, but who knows if Sr. back in ’61 or ’64 wanted to fake a Mombassa birth for whatever reason that he may have had back then, such as custody, jurisdiction, etc.

tommylotto on August 3, 2009 at 10:37 AM

American Power tracked-back with, “Why the Obama Birth Certificate Story Won’t Go Away”:

Donald Douglas on August 3, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I think this Orly Taitz lady is a new character planted by Sacha Baron Cohen. That’s the only way this makes sense.

My wife, she is scared of men with chocolate face.

beekiller on August 3, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Dr Evil on August 3, 2009 at 8:58 AM

This is why birthers are laughed at and derided…even after all the posts showing this to be a hoax…you still go for the foolish lie.
Let’s see, Republic of Kenya did not exist, and I suppose you don’t know about the Dutch watermark (I will let you find that out yourself), along with a soap reference, 047-44 reference, no doctor listed, oh my.

right2bright on August 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Spotting the defects in it, is a “knee jerk reaction”. It was fairly obvious someone was paying with the birthers, but it took skeptics to do the critical thinking on it that the birthers should have been doing.

And since it was a hoax, the critics were the ones who were right, the birthers should be thanking them for it and for doing their work for them.

Instead, for spotting it for the fake it is, the birthers seem to actually be upset that people saw it was a fake, and call that a “knee jerk reaction”. The knee jerk reaction was the birthers getting all excited over a fake and a hoax, yet again.

firepilot on August 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM

As an American citizen married to an Oriental (now naturalized) whose children were born abroad, I fully recognize the importance of this issue.

First the documents issued by the American Embassy of the country that they were born in are in safe keeping and they have been provided notarized copies for their records. Without these documents they can be deported if laws were strictly enforced.

Therefore, the issue for President Obama revolve around his mother and father(s) (????) travels and lifestyle. If born abroad, immigration laws apply. Not all countries acknowledge the birth of a child whose parents are of different nationalities (one being a U.S. citizen) the same. Some do not recognize the parents citizenship nor recognize the U.S. parent as the dominate one to determine actual citizenship.

All one has to do is check birth records of children born in Korea and Vietnam during the conflicts. If the proper procedures were not followed and documents received the child remains a citizen of the country where they were born.

Therefore, registering a birth in the U.S. is one way of overcoming those laws, to change a childs citizenship, and hope no one raise the question.

MSGTAS on August 4, 2009 at 10:48 AM