Obama stumped by dumb Americans opposing ObamaCare

posted at 2:17 pm on July 31, 2009 by Karl

President Obama suggests the bitter clingers in middle America are so dense that even the greatest orator in world history cannot educate them:

“I don’t spend a lot of time looking at my polls. I do look at the polling on health care, partly because I think that there is a terrific case to be made to the American public. But it is — this is complicated, it’s difficult,” the president said. “And I will say that this has been the most difficult test for me so far in public life, trying to describe in clear, simple terms how important it is that we reform this system. The case is so clear to me.”

The establishment media has already started blaming the American people, so it is not a shock that The Politico is now pushing this line from Capitol Hill:

Olympia Snowe, it seems safe to assume, is following the health care debate a bit more closely than the average American.

So it is saying something that the Maine senator — a key figure in health care negotiations — admits she is stumped by the task of crafting a simple explanation for legislation of mind-numbing complexity.

“If anybody can give me an easy, 30-second solution to this multitrillion-dollar problem, be my guest,” said Snowe, a moderate Republican.

A Democratic lawmaker, Rep. Collin Peterson of Minnesota, agrees. “The members don’t even understand what’s in it,” he confessed of the legislation. As for his constituents? They are “not exactly sure what this is about, and they’re not really sure whether they like it or not.”

Of course, it is hard for members of Congress to understand a bill they will not read. And it would be nice if Pres. Obama bothered to read it.

Complexity is an inherent problem with attempting comprehensive reform, so it is difficult to muster much sympathy for the politicians whining about it now. It is much easier to be glad that Pres. Obama has not tried the incremental approach, which is more difficult to fight.

Moreover, Pres. Obama’s rhetoric is part of his problem. For example, he complains about doctors and hospitals performing unnecessary medical tests, while claiming that we can save substantial money by promoting preventive care and refusing to tag his trial lawyer pals as part of the problem of defensive medicine. On a larger scale, Pres. Obama tries to assure everyone that he is not proposing a European or Japanese-style healthcare system, even as he claims that these countries do a better job than the US. And he is selling healthcare reform as a cost-containment measure when unbiased estimates show the opposite — not to mention that states like Tennessee, Maine and Massachusetts have all failed with similar schemes.

In short, it is no wonder Pres. Obama is having trouble selling his healthcare reforms. Not only is it a complex issue, but Pres. Obama insists on talking out of both sides of his mouth about the issue. It is not surprising that voters suspect this is because they would not want what is being sold if he was being honest.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

my hatred…..it grows…

Ghoul aid on July 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Ok, I loved this, oddly. It resonated. Then, appropriately,

I sense great fear in you, Ghoul. You have hate. You have anger. But you don’t use them.

CMonster on July 31, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Well, that just made me cry, I was laughing so hard…

Then, there was this:

seek help.

sesquipedalian on July 31, 2009 at 2:42 PM

…which revisited and compounded the anger, until…

Cuba needs good comrades like you!

capejasmine on July 31, 2009 at 2:47 PM

…and all was well again.

Why I love H/A.

Mommypundit on July 31, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Bill Mahr may be right in saying that America is a stupid country and Obama may be right in feeling we are dumb. Just look at who we elected to POTUS!

Star20 on July 31, 2009 at 3:05 PM

“I don’t spend a lot of time looking at my polls.”

Liar

CynicalOptimist on July 31, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Mommypundit on July 31, 2009 at 3:05 PM

thank you Mommypundit. God forbid you should get angry over what this fraud is hellbent on doing to this country.

Ghoul aid on July 31, 2009 at 3:08 PM

It doesn’t help Obama that it is clear he doesn’t know what he is talking about and that he is a liar, too.

Blake on July 31, 2009 at 3:02 PM

\

That does get in the way. Of course, allah tried to tell people that the idiot messiah “has brains to spare for the job”. LOL. Intellectual relativism. Spare brains are about all The Precedent might have, and I don’t even think he has that, as breathing and all of his autonomic functions take up pretty much every ounce of grey matter that is bouncing around in that empty head of his. What a total moron.

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Make patients pay cash on the spot, for their medical treatment.

Skandia Recluse on July 31, 2009 at 3:13 PM

OK, Olympia, let me give it a shot. Here’s a plan you can put on an index card:

1. Medical liability reform.
2. Allow interstate insurance sales.
3. Repeal Medicare and Medicaid and replace with needs-based vouchers or refundable tax credits for purchase of private health insurance.
4. End mandatory emergency care for illegal aliens and deny illegals vouchers for insurance. If illegals want health insurance or emergency care in the U.S. they can pay full freight for it. If they don’t want to do that they can go back to Mexico for treatment at one of their deluxe government hospitals.
5. Require all insurers to insure all applicants, and prohibit them from denying coverage to existing policyholders, but allow them to offer substantial premium discounts and rebates for healthy people, people who quit smoking, people who lose weight, etc. For example, if you go for 5 years without any hospital or doctor visits other than a routine physical, your insurer should be able to give you a big rebate check.
6. Expand offerings of Health Savings Accounts and require any employer who offers insurance as a benefit to offer a HSA plan.

rockmom on July 31, 2009 at 3:13 PM

“I don’t spend a lot of time looking at my polls.”

Liar

CynicalOptimist on July 31, 2009 at 3:08 PM

He isn’t lying. He pays Emanuel and Axelrod to read the polls and then tell him what to say. The only things he spends time looking at are his Teleprompter and his Blackberry to get Axelrod’s latest talking points.

rockmom on July 31, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Translation:
“The proles are too stupid to understand what’s best for them and we’re too smart to figure out how to put it into simple enough terms to make them accept that we know what’s best for them.”

single stack on July 31, 2009 at 3:16 PM

After watching the space shuttle land this morning, I think this is a simple analogy. The space shuttle flies into space and comes back because the people who designed it are experts. If given the time, I’m sure they could make anyone understand the basics of how that happens.

The people who are designing the health care bill, as well as Obama, are politicians not medical professionals. They are simply throwing crap together and have no idea if it will fly. That’s why they can’t tell us how it works.

behiker on July 31, 2009 at 2:51 PM

He knows that with enough force behind it, anything will fly – once.

And that’s all he ever needs.

Blacksmith on July 31, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Kenyans don’t understand Americans, and can’t pronounce freedom.

So tell me Obama, what is you were doing in Rev Wright’s church again?

tarpon on July 31, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Einstein once said something to the effect of, “If you can’t explain what you’re doing, then you shouldn’t be doing it.” Something that every politician should have laser-etched into their forehead.

Blacksmith on July 31, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Obama is confused.

Gas for grannie ??

Bend over for Obamascare.

seven on July 31, 2009 at 3:21 PM

oh, i’m a powder keg just waiting to be lit. it won’t be pretty.

Ghoul aid on July 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM

if i didn’t laugh, i’d probably f-cking kill myself.

Ghoul aid on July 20, 2009 at 4:27 PM

my hatred…….IT GROWS….

Ghoul aid on July 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM

my hatred…..it grows…

Ghoul aid on July 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM

i’m just worried about you, that’s all.

sesquipedalian on July 31, 2009 at 3:22 PM

It couldnt have anything to do with the fact that the “greatest orator in world history” has clearly demonstrated he is a conniving liar! Or that maybe even some of the dip wads that voted for “Little Boots” Obama, can now see they have made an enormous mistake. Or simply that the majority of the American people do not want to give in to the largest grab for freedom in the history of the country? Or maybe it could be the American people dont trust government to be in charge of another program, when they have clearly demonstrated their complete ineptness at every turn. The liberal marxist education system has done so well under the thumb of the federal government. Right? I wont bore you with the long list of proof of government ineptness. Or maybe Little Boots Obama is just to stupid to come to terms with the fact that he is the most dense block of wood that has ever sat in the oval office.

CDM on July 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Its real simple!
Have you heard the commercials for the cure for —–?
The side effects are diarrhea, vomiting, blurry vision, dizzyness,nervousness and insomnia!

The public says screw that the side effects are worse than the illness.

With Government HealthScare the side effects are far worse than the condition.
They will ruin the best medicine known to man, bankrupt the country (which is already nearly there), drive doctors, hospitals ,and clinics out of business and end the lives of many Americans that would otherwise choose to further their lives through medical treatment!

dhunter on July 31, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Shut up. Sit down. Get your hands our of my healthcare.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Obama doesn’t quite understand that most people don’t like corrupt bureaucrats telling them what they can and cannot do.

I think that’s where he’s confused.

Plus, we don’t like being lied to, or having the wool pulled over our eyes by weekend or late night votes on bills that no one’s even read.

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Shut up. Sit down. Get your hands our of my healthcare.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Stay out of our lives, and keep those hands out of our pockets as well.

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 3:40 PM

No Barry we get the “importance”. We wish you would get how to “pay” for it.

Kinda like the average citizen gets how “important” it is to pay their bills. The only question is “how”.

broker1 on July 31, 2009 at 3:40 PM

its just absolutely stunning, that this country, better than any other by 100x, has an angry radical marxist racist as its president

stunning

sidewinder22 on July 31, 2009 at 3:40 PM

And when is that?
Never mind. I know the answer: somewhere around the 12th of never, or something.

Nichevo on July 31, 2009 at 3:43 PM

rockmom on July 31, 2009 at 3:13 PM

And in year 6 when you do go for a check up and they discover an illness that is going to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars because it was not caught sooner, then what? Or, if it is too far advanced and you’re going to die, is their a rebate?

Blake on July 31, 2009 at 3:45 PM

funny how when ever polls go south for a politician they suddenly don’t read them. What happened to “I Won”? If you don’t read the polls, how will you know if you are still winning?

Just what part of Obama health control do they think I don’t understand?

katablog.com on July 31, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Who else caught the House Republican C-SPAN Health Bill Proposals last night?

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Tell us what you heard, please.

spacewife on July 31, 2009 at 3:55 PM

would have taken that opportunity to tell him, obama, and the entire world to kiss my white ass, not sit there like a b-tch and drink beer with them. but hey, that’s me.
Ghoul aid on July 31, 2009

and Obama and the race hustlers would have had you for lunch…wouldn’t be good.

after your rant we (whitey)would get to have race rubbed solidly in our face and explained to why we still need reparations, hate crime legislation, quotas, and other goodies that promote racial unity.

but I know how you feel

Goodeye_Closed on July 31, 2009 at 3:56 PM

It always worries me when politicians — of any party — tell the public just to trust them, because they know what is really good for us. The federal government can’t handle all the jobs it already deals with, without taking on yet another one. Is there any reason we can’t try loosening some restrictions, allowing people more freedom in choosing their own insurance plans, and let the free market try to take care of this? Why would anyone want a government dictating what medical procedures he or she could have? What’s clear to me is that this is the wrong direction entirely.

CarolinaGirl6 on July 31, 2009 at 4:01 PM

If the American people wanted a single-payer system we would have already had it back in ’94. This bill is NOT good for America.

jbh45 on July 31, 2009 at 4:03 PM

John Fund’s observation is REALLY relevant to this “how can I explain it so you’ll buy it? problem for Bama and acolytes. Paraphrasing:
+explaining in enough detail to help tens of millions of people understand how 20% of the country’s economy is going to be managed is impossible.
+This is because “managing” 20% of the country’s economy, in a country of 350M+ people, is impossible without massive coercion to keep people within the rules, rationing, etc. government can devise. If socialism worked, we’d be speaking Russian or Chinese.
+Admitting this would cause (is causing?) significant backlash.
+Being unable to explain the bill, making claims about what it is when you haven’t read it, and giggling at the idea of reading it before voting on it, are understandable. The undertaking is too great.

Harry Schell on July 31, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Here’s a simple and easy way to sell your program, Mr. Jugears and Senator Snowejob:

“My fellow Americans, This plan is so wonderful that all members of the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government are scrapping their present plans and signing themselves and their families up for it.”

BitterClinger on July 31, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Can we change the title to…..

Obama stumped by his own dumbness? :D

capejasmine on July 31, 2009 at 4:21 PM

“I don’t spend a lot of time looking at my polls.”

LIE.

Jim Treacher on July 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM

What an arrogant jerk… getting healthcare to people who need it and can’t get it is one thing (and expensive enough), but another crap sandwich written by Nancy Pelosi (just like the porkulus bill) will all have us broke and give us crappy healthcare within 2 years.

Why do people have a problem with the government running healthcare? Well maybe it’s that people are scared of what it would be like to have their healthcare dictated to them by the same people you find in the IRS, the post office, and department of motor vehicles.

Oh… and legislators not having to get their healthcare this way is a big sign that it’s awful.

K

krl on July 31, 2009 at 4:31 PM

rockmom on July 31, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Blake on July 31, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I suppose that should read “other than routine physicals”, but couldn’t you figure that out?

keving on July 31, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Friend of mine had great line in conversation with his senator’s office:

If you vote for a bill that you don’t read, that constitutes TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.

Brilliant!

redfoxbluestate on July 31, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Not only will this bill reduce healthcare for those who are insured, there will be no reason for an overregulated industry to produce new and innovative medicine,so that the whole system takes an enormous step backwards into the 16th century. leeches anyone?

Abortions for the masses? wheather you need them or not, because Chairman zero will only let you produce two carbon emmitting children,and then we can have state forced abortions?

Rise up people! You let this start and it wont end until we look like 1960′s China.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on July 31, 2009 at 6:21 PM

What kid hasn’t done this?? – I did.

An oral book review on “The Bridge on the River Kwai”

This is the story of blah, blah, blah but the best part is the guy though himself on the detonator and blew it to kingdom come!

What…? I did too read the book! I swear I did! Why are you giving me an F? They made a movie about it!

ericdijon on July 31, 2009 at 9:23 PM

though
threw

ericdijon on July 31, 2009 at 9:23 PM

No wonder you can’t figure out an answer…..you’re asking the wrong question. I mean, who said it had to be an easy, 30 second solution?

It’s not a multi-trillion dollar problem in the private sector, it’s a multi-trillion dollar problem in the government sector. There’s your 30-second clue.

Obama isn’t interested in reforming the system, he’s interested in government control of the system.

xblade on July 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

No matter how the Americans arrange their healthcare, you will all die. You will have to figure out something else.

Kralizec on August 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Of course “reforming” 1/5 of the U.S. economy is complex – when you define “reform” as centralized government control. As the Russians are trying to learn, the solution to this complexity is simple and elegant – LEAVE IT ALONE and let the marketplace handle the complexity.

The “reform” that is needed is to get rid of medicare, medicaid, the VA, etc. and simply have the government issue medical vouchers directly to private citizens to use in the private market place. duh…

rock the casbah on August 1, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Like Hussein really cares about the American Public. Where are the Jobs?

BigMike252 on August 1, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Why concede the point that Americans don’t understand what is happening in Congress? It is NOT true. Millions of Americans have really started paying attention and do understand what is going on. Most of us just don’t like it.
To concede, without any factual basis, that Americans don’t understand but would like the legislation if they did, is the same as surrendering without a fight. I can understand why ABC, CNN and MSNBC try to sell this lie. But why is it being insinuated here on HA?

snaggletoothie on August 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM

“The case is so clear to me”
Sounds like he believes his own BS.

DSchoen on August 2, 2009 at 5:01 AM