How to create a zillion jobs, part II

posted at 1:12 pm on July 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday I noted how Oregon claimed credit for creating thousands of jobs through their stimulus funding, but neglected to mention that the jobs only lasted a few hours.  Today, a CBS affiliate in northern California points out another strategy for creating stimulus jobs — hiring people for what they thought were paying jobs and transforming them into volunteers, involuntarily:

Students working in a summer youth program funded by federal stimulus dollars tell CBS 5 Investigates they have not been paid the money they are owed. At least one instructor also said he is going unpaid.

All are working for a program called the Oakland Green Civic Campaign, which is one of 13 summer programs funded in Oakland to serve low-income youth and young adults who meet stringent federal income and residency guidelines.

The programs are administered by the Oakland Private Industry Council (PIC).

Students Kiyomi Cox and Donald Biagas work in a culinary program that’s part of the Green Civic Campaign. They enjoy learning to work as chefs, but say after six weeks of working they still haven’t received their paychecks.

I could create a lot of jobs this way myself.  Anyone who wants to work for me in any capacity, please submit your application, along with a signed acknowledgment that you expect no pay for your services.  Believe me, I’ll be glad to credit President Obama with that kind of “job” creation.  At least that system is a little more honest than what these Oakland teens have experienced.

Even without the dishonesty, the two stories demonstrate the folly of having the government handle capital investment and job creation.  They don’t do either efficiently, even with the best of intentions.  In this case, it’s more than a little hypocritical, as government agencies would have swarmed over any fully private enterprise that treated its employees in this manner — and politicians like Barack Obama would have used it as an example of how “profiteers” exploit the poor and powerless.

Between this, the Cars for Clunkers program, and the other Porkulus screw-up stories, has this mini-boom in faith in government expertise finally come to an end?  Or do we need to turn over our health care system to the same bureaucratic bumblers to get people to finally realize this particular folly?

Comments

Ed;

It seems that a few weeks ago MB4 accidentally got himself banned as a troll in one of your threads, (which is actually kind of funny in a way), except that MB4 is not a troll. In fact, MB4 has long been a respected member of the community with many fans that miss him. He’s a Vietnam veteran with enough wit and humor to fuel his creative energy far above all the rest. No other member has contributed as much color and variety to HotAir than MB4 has over the years.

If it’s true that MB4 has been banned, could you please commute his sentence so we can have our friend back?

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:14 PM

What do you think commenting is? Fun? It’s work I tell ya! Work!

lorien1973 on July 31, 2009 at 1:17 PM

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Second.

bluelightbrigade on July 31, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Better yet…

Earn $100,000 or more working part time from your home. Get rich now ask me how! Just send $100,000 to Laura in Maryland Nonextradition Country to get your fast track to success. No checks, credit cards or traceable instruments accepted. Must be career minded and very gullible.

Laura in Maryland on July 31, 2009 at 1:19 PM

What do you think commenting is? Fun? It’s work I tell ya! Work!

lorien1973 on July 31, 2009 at 1:17 PM

There’s got to be a wage scheme for battling trolls, too.

bluelightbrigade on July 31, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I have long since given up any hope that the government can or will work well.

I cannot imagine the mentality one must have to want the government to do a full takeover of our medical care. Well, I can imagine it, I suppose. I just think that those people are too stupid to live and will eventually walk into oncoming traffic or something.

myrenovations on July 31, 2009 at 1:20 PM

lorien1973 on July 31, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Now that you mention it, we need to UNIONIZE!

Stick it to the man beta-male!

Laura in Maryland on July 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM

What do you think commenting is? Fun? It’s work I tell ya! Work!
lorien1973 on July 31, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Seems to me you’re always volunteering to “tend to” females who find themselves to be blog subjects as well, and never ask for a penny in return. There’s just no end to your selfless generosity! ;)

Patrick S on July 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Patrick S on July 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Who says we don’t “pay”?

Laura in Maryland on July 31, 2009 at 1:22 PM

myrenovations on July 31, 2009 at 1:20 PM

But not soon enough. Darwinism works, but only over a long period of time. Over the short term, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

trubble on July 31, 2009 at 1:22 PM

There’s just no end to your selfless generosity! ;)

Patrick S on July 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Yeah. I’m a saint. What can I say?

lorien1973 on July 31, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Funemployment!

BPD on July 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Isn’t this against the Child labor act? The state has to be comitting some for of child abuse here.

theguardianii on July 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM

These youts didn’t realize that were part of Obama’s “volunteer” service org.

genso on July 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Well, to get a ‘Zillion’ jobs, you would have to cook the books, now wouldn’t you?

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 1:25 PM

ACORN did exactly that. Pay roll cheats.

seven on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Oh Jeez, the idiot in chief is on the boob tube again.

And his lips are moving, so I guess he’s lying.

Knucklehead on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Another teachable moment…for these kids. May they learn not to trust their federal government for “goodies” and not to trust politicians promising said “goodies.”

WashJeff on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

has this mini-boom in faith in government expertise finally come to an end?

Short answer: No. Example: There is a news story today about the economy rebounding because the slip in GDP was less than expected. This is sighted as favorable news. In September 2007 we had a record 49th consecutive month of job growth. 110,000 jobs were created that month alone. All we ever heard in the media was how stupid the president was and how bad the economy was.

Tommy_G on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Seriously? What was the offending comment?

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

trubble on July 31, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Perhaps we could hurry the process along by tossing piles of free Stimulus cash into the middle lanes of the DC Beltway?

myrenovations on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Did those Obama campaign people ever get paid from back right after the election??? Or were they forced volunteers also?

Abby Adams on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

These students will hire a team of lawyers. The resultant legal fees will be billed to the government, paid, and then be counted as stimulus, and the lightworker will be credited with creating something out of nothing.

ICBM on July 31, 2009 at 1:27 PM

The Won on TV now claiming credit for stopping the recession. It’s got everything…Bush bashing, porkulus worked, jobs saved…it’s a trifecta.

genso on July 31, 2009 at 1:27 PM

genso on July 31, 2009 at 1:27 PM

A preview of things to come: complete control of all media outlets.

Enjoy the show!

VibrioCocci on July 31, 2009 at 1:30 PM

We are already giving you hits for free, what else do you want?

Vashta.Nerada on July 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Seriously? What was the offending comment?

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

That’s the rumor. People that were involved in the Croce thread earlier this month seem fairly certain MB4 was banned, and MB4 hasn’t been heard from since.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Hey, we’re following the Russian model now! Hundreds of thousands of Russian workers in a broad range of extractive and manufacturing industries go on working despite not having been paid for months – for years, in some cases.

Putin had to make an emergency visit to a town where aluminum worker who hadn’t been paid for 18 months were rioting. Many had been reduced to eating soup concocted out of grass and tree bark.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM

….But the thread doesn’t specifically say that MB4 was banned.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM

It’s interesting how hard the MSM worked to make the Bush years seem like Great Depression II, and are now peddling furiously in the opposite direction.

Part of what has wounded the economy and lead to a major infection has to do with telling Americans that it was gloom and doom and people not spending or investing capitol. The Bush administration told people to spend money, take vacations, buy stuff and it brought back the economy after the attack in 2011. Now the American people are to believe that all is groovy. How could you not trust braniac Biden, and a POTUS that wants to keep his birth certificate a national secret?

Hening on July 31, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Where I’m from………

When you’re an unpaid involuntary volunteer, we generally call that a slave.

Didn’t we go through this before??????

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 31, 2009 at 1:34 PM

What is really hilarious is that the libs are screwing their own people.

Vashta.Nerada on July 31, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Hope and (No) Change (literally!)

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 31, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Don’t mess with Joe.

NickelAndDime on July 31, 2009 at 1:36 PM

viva MB4!

pseudonominus on July 31, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Hope and (No) Change (literally!)

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 31, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Dope and Chains.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:37 PM

When you’re an unpaid involuntary volunteer, we generally call that a slave.

Didn’t we go through this before??????

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 31, 2009 at 1:34 PM

What do you call it when Mrs. Guntotinglibertarian and I have about 60% of our income confiscated by government? What will you call it when that goes up to 75%?

Serfdom?

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Serfdom?

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Patriotism?
Skin in the game?
Fairness?
Giving back to society?

myrenovations on July 31, 2009 at 1:40 PM

When I got laid off, I decided to hire myself to read blogs,post ..and even start my own. Myself and I agreed upon a salary to be paid every two weeks. But when the two weeks came, I didn’t have the money to pay myself. So I just told myself the job was now voluntary. Works out for everyone…except myself is running out of money to pay her bills.
RR

ramrants on July 31, 2009 at 1:40 PM

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I know its Ed’s, AP’s, and MM’s house, but if MB4 is gone, but bigots like “equality,” “sesquipedophile,” “Grow Fins” and “dcwvu” can still post, I’m not sure what type of message that sends.

PimFortuynsGhost on July 31, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Gee, I hope when I get banned, y’all will be bemoaning my absence, too.

Anyone?

Hello?

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Poll: 28% of Republicans don’t believe Obama was born in America? Update: Skeptics mostly southern is already at 375 comments and well on its way to the 1000 mark.

ZzZzzzzzzzzz

VibrioCocci on July 31, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Seriously? What was the offending comment?

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

He was arguing that the Jim Croce thread was actually another Michael Jackson thread even if it was actually an anti-MJ thread. He actually had a valid point but perhaps pushed it too far. I think he was just having fun but maybe Ed was unfamiliar with MB4 and thought he was just another troll.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM

How the FRAK are we going to take this for another 3 and a half years?

It’d be almost entertaining if it were a disaster movie but it’s real.

Ugh.

Yakko77 on July 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I think I just “created some jobs” in my pants. I’d better report it to Obama so he can brag about it….

Doppleganker on July 31, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Aren’t these the type of programs that got the Americorps IG fired since he was interfering getting money to Obama’s friend?

highhopes on July 31, 2009 at 1:55 PM

PimFortuynsGhost on July 31, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I think Equality was finally banned earlier this week but many others still remain.

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:55 PM

How the FRAK are we going to take this for another 3 and a half years?

It’d be almost entertaining if it were a disaster movie but it’s real.

Ugh.

Yakko77 on July 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM

The rioting will help get rid of the tension.

highhopes on July 31, 2009 at 1:55 PM

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I think I commented on that thread, but, being on the East coast, I don’t stay up long enough to see a lot of the later comments.
You know, I don’t think I had realize that I was missing his comments. Careless of me.

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 1:56 PM

They wanna be paid? What are they, stinking capitalists or something?!

Akzed on July 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Only one way to find out, I guess. Just make sure it’s worth it. None of those namby-pamby, thoughtless rants….put meat into it so you’ll be remembered. ;)

genso on July 31, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Obams’s solid plan to create zillion jobs: Getting his flunkies to set a company named ” zillion”, hires a couple of high school kids. Viola, zillion jobs.

bayview on July 31, 2009 at 2:04 PM

genso on July 31, 2009 at 2:01 PM

OK, here I go.

I have conclusive proof that Allahpundit was not born in America. And that he is, in fact, Todd Palin.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 2:04 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Which explains why Todd didn’t kick Letterman’s ass, I suppose. Come on….you’re not even trying.

genso on July 31, 2009 at 2:06 PM

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I found Eds comment (“troll exposure”), with the next commentor writing “I can’t believe you just banned MB4″, after which ‘MB4′ is absent from the thread. Heck, I even agree with what MB4 was trying to call Ed out for–it was just another MJ thread, with a double switch to work in Croce.

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 2:09 PM

forced volunteers

Abby Adams on July 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I think we had a program like that once, long ago…I think it centered on agriculture or something. How nice of Obama to bring it back into vogue.

James on July 31, 2009 at 2:10 PM

genso on July 31, 2009 at 2:06 PM

OK, OK.

And that Allahpundit/Todd is not Trig’s daddy, Ed is.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 2:13 PM

These people, including most (the “majority”) of Congress have no idea how to stimulate job growth. It’s not about throwing money out there, it’s about incentivizing businesses, be they large, medium or small, to hire people. Give them a reason to grow their businesses, via tax cuts, investment credits, accelerated depreciation, whatever, and the jobs will come. Adding jobs to any level of government, will just mean the rest of us have to pay them. Does government actually earn money? Oh, wait. I had a lapse there — maybe it will from the automakers and some banks and from insurance companies, etc. I think I’d rather people had jobs working for REAL companies.

LindaDinNev on July 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM

James on July 31, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Ol’ man river, dat ol’ man river…

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM

theguardianii on July 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM

It’s Kalifornia, the land that regulates their businesses out of business and can’t figure out why the money is pouring in.

chemman on July 31, 2009 at 2:16 PM

oops is = isn’t. Darn fingers keep getting ahead of the brain.

chemman on July 31, 2009 at 2:16 PM

FloatingRock on July 31, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I’m with you, FloatingRock. I think it appropriate that Hotair let us know if MB4 was, indeed, banned. The bloggers must certainly understand that MB4 was an integral part of the commentariat, here. He has a unique voice and views that contribute very much to the style and interest of Hotair threads. It is only proper, and decent, to let the rest of us know if the banning actually happened. Because, if MB4 can be thrown off for some silliness about MJ and thread distribution …

progressoverpeace on July 31, 2009 at 2:23 PM

LindaDinNev on July 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM

If you want a sure-fire way to increase job growth, the answer is simple: repeal the minimum wage, outlaw labor unions, and void all union contracts. Wages go down, employment goes up. Done.

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 2:32 PM

How will that help the Won’s agenda? Or Michelle’s kids for that matter?

genso on July 31, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I will bet large sums of worthless US dollars these clowns all voted for the filthy Kenyan fascist. They’re getting everything they deserve and more.

angryed on July 31, 2009 at 2:44 PM

angryed on July 31, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Who else would work for free for six weeks.

genso on July 31, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Who else would work for free for six weeks.

genso on July 31, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Actually that’s the shocking part for me. That an Obama voter would work, whether for pay or without pay. After all why work when the free mortgage and gas is on its way?

angryed on July 31, 2009 at 2:50 PM

angryed on July 31, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I want to believe that it’s human nature to want to contribute something in one’s life. Which is why liberalism goes against what it means to be human.

genso on July 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Whoo! If anyone is looking for some stimulus, I’ve got a job for you herding dust bunnies for the domestically challenged (namely, me).

evergreen on July 31, 2009 at 2:59 PM

These “bunglers” have absconded with the dough. They are petty crooks. The professional crooks are in waiting for ObamaCare sized payoffs.

burt on July 31, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Let’s not forget that those waiting for the ObamaCare payoffs are also the ones who:
1. Duck subpoenas
2. Tell us the Insurance companies, banks and Wall Street are evvvvvvvillllll.

katablog.com on July 31, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Gee, I hope when I get banned, y’all will be bemoaning my absence, too.

Anyone?

Hello?

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 1:44 PM

To guntotinglibertarian YAR!!!

[see second page of yesterday's QOTD if you are cnfused]

alohapundit on July 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM

OK, let me get this straight….

The black guy, the champion of civil rights, the dude complaining about racial profiling before he even knows the facts of the case, is creating….wait for it….SLAVES???

Why am I not surprised this is the only place I’ve heard (or will ever hear) about this?

runawayyyy on July 31, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Somehow this WoW spoofy goofy video encapsulates Obamacare and cooking the books for me.

Don’t ask me exactly why.

Maybe it’s the last line.

Bon appetit!