Andrea Mitchell: People with insurance who oppose ObamaCare “may not know what’s good for them”

posted at 3:35 pm on July 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, consider this a video companion to Karl’s post. She’s totally right, incidentally: It’s certainly possible that we halfwit proles with private insurance might have misjudged where our true self-interest lies. But the same could be said of virtually any group involved in any issue — e.g., anti-war types “may not know what’s good for them” in opposing the effort to counter jihadism with democracy — and yet, curiously, it isn’t. To think, Megan McArdle was worried about elitist liberals using health care to dictate to the masses what’s in their best interest.

As for the current state of the House bill, it’s almost impossible to keep up. Last night liberal Democrats were warning the Blue Dogs they’re prepared to join the GOP in torpedoing a center-left compromise. Then, a few hours ago, Waxman announced a compromise on the Energy and Commerce Committee by which Blue Dogs would get to keep subsidies for middle-class families to buy their own insurance in return for liberal Dems getting lower premiums for the uninsured and a floor vote on a single-payer government takeover (which won’t pass). Meanwhile, in the Senate, Reid and company are preparing for “plan B,” i.e. abandoning the GOP entirely and ramming the bill home on a strict party-line vote, which is fine by me. Will Snowe, Grassley, etc., blink anyway? The only thing that’s certain at this point: If, as Krauthammer said, you’re young and healthy and not interested in paying for insurance right now, you’re about to get soaked. But that’s what you get for not knowing what’s good for you.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

BPD on July 31, 2009 at 4:05 PM
Youre a mean broad

missesssss grrrinch

I wouldn’t touch you with a

FOOORRRTTYYY NINE AND A HALF FOOT POOOLLLLEEEE

blatantblue on July 31, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I’d say when they dermabraised her face, they went a little too deep.

bloggless on July 31, 2009 at 4:11 PM

It’s funny to watch people, who do not use the same insurance benefits as the rest of us, tell us how bad our insurance benefits (companies) are, but would never give up their insurance benefits for the ones they think we should have.

Funny and damned maddening.

PappaMac on July 31, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Did you see Mika shoot a glance over at Scarborough when Mitchell made the “…they might not know what’s good for them…” comment.

Even Mika knows an elitist dolt gaffe when she hears one.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Actually this is not the first Mika has raised an eyebrow at Obot cheerleaders. Though her Pop isn’t a favorite of mine (understatement) she’s been around the corridors of power all her life. She may have on the Barry-bandwagon thorugh the election and inaugural, but the kool-aid has been wearing off of late.

Archimedes on July 31, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Someone put some balloons in her buffoon face!

SouthernGent on July 31, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Heard this on Rush today. Do you believe the arrogance of these people? Yeah those Harvard and Yale grads are doing a great job of running the country, aren’t they? NOT. We need to clear Washington inside the beltway of all these types — media and pols.

Christian Conservative on July 31, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Apparently she will be covered under the “Haves” plan.

bloggless on July 31, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I know what’s best for Senators, and Representatives, that force this down our throats, and totally disregard the constitution. You’re FIRED!!!

capejasmine on July 31, 2009 at 4:12 PM

The hicks keep clinging to their guns and Bibles when they should be clinging to their tonsils.

Wethal on July 31, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Thank GAWD for brainiacs like Andrea. I could sure use her advice on some other life choices to determine “what’s best” for me.

StimulateTHIS on July 31, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Hey Andrea,
Which one’s “better” for me? A 45ACP or a 9mm?

StimulateTHIS on July 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Hey seriously.

If a 1 megaton nuclear explosive detonated over the capital building, killing the POTUS, the Congress, the SCOTUS, etc.,

what would happen to the country?

How long would it take to build the socialist government back up?

Sapwolf on July 31, 2009 at 4:17 PM

The distinguishing feature of communism is not the abolition of property generally, but the abolition of bourgeois property. But modern bourgeois private property is the final and most complete expression of the system of producing and appropriating products that is based on class antagonisms, on the exploitation of the many by the few.

In this sense, the theory of the Communists may be summed up in the single sentence: Abolition of private property.

-Marx, Engalls Communist Manifesto [emphasis mine]

Methinks Andrea Mitchell, NBC news, Washington is a fellow traveler

alohapundit on July 31, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I know what’s good for Andrea Mitchell … Obama communist health care.

She’s what? 80? Yeah … she’ll get some fine treatment.

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 3:46 PM

The problem is, she won’t be stuck with it; you and I will. Everybody on the scene in DC will be allowed to keep their medical benefits, while we won’t be able to afford it.
It is time for war against these elitist pigs.

RWLA on July 31, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Eh. Another rich, white liberal telling me that she knows better than I do. I’d like to invite her to join Al Gore and John Edwards on the ash heap of history.

Rational Thought on July 31, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Suggested new slogan for Democrats:

IT’S OK, BECAUSE WE’RE SMARTER THAN YOU

tsj017 on July 31, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Where is AnninCA to tell us that euthanasia is good for us?

Hopefully taking advantage of it.

hindmost on July 31, 2009 at 4:25 PM

We may not know what’s good for us?

Andrea darling, we know. That’s why we’ve taken to our pitchforks, why we’re calling our representatives, why we’re having Tea Parties, why we’re signing petitions and last but not least, why Obama’s approval ratings are taking a nosedive.

fogw on July 31, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Halp me andreeuh michil

I am stuk in ny wif no insoorence

I need halp

pleeze?

blatantblue on July 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I herd Barak obamuh is gonnah halp me wif monie

blatantblue on July 31, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Had a debate with a good friend about this the other day in which I informed her that the facts are that a great majority of the uninsured are either 1) illegal, or 2) uninsured by choice, either because they have the cash to pay for their care out of pocket or because they just don’t want to be bothered spending the money on insurance — the latter group comprised mostly of the young and healthy (and in some cases, stupid). She countered by telling me most of the people she knows who are uninsured are those like her nieces and nephews, all of whom are in their 20s and believe themselves to be invincible (this despite the fact that several of them live a rather reckless existence). I asked her, “Even if insurance for them cost a pittance, let’s say $10/month, do you think they would buy it? For that matter, do you think they would bother to sign up for govt.-provided coverage if it were available if someone didn’t make them?” *crickets*

When I was in grad school, I didn’t have insurance either. Was it a gamble? Sure it was. But I rarely get sick and even more rarely do I go to see a doctor. To me, it seemed a gamble worth taking. Even now, I only have the most bare bones of coverage. If I get some catastrophic illness, I’m covered but if I get the flu as I did last week, I go to the drugstore and buy some Dayquil and wait it out. I dare say most people in their 20s and 30s feel the same way. Now we’re about to get hammered. At least I can say I wasn’t one of those starry-eyed youths duped by the celebrity and coolness of Teh One. As to those who were — you get what you vote for.

NoLeftTurn on July 31, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Hey seriously.

what would happen to the country?

How long would it take to build the socialist government back up?

Sapwolf on July 31, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Sapwolf: Me thinks,the construction jobs,and shovel ready
projects would get the green light!!

canopfor on July 31, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Halp me andreeuh michil

I am stuk in ny wif no insoorence

blatantblue on July 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Nice.

BigD on July 31, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I herd Barak obamuh is gonnah halp me wif monie

blatantblue on July 31, 2009 at 4:31 PM

blatantblue: Have you checked your mailbox!?:)

canopfor on July 31, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Which one’s “better” for me? A 45ACP or a 9mm?

StimulateTHIS on July 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I don’t think there’s any question, really. You just have to go with the knock-down power of the .45 ACP, don’t you?

Jaibones on July 31, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Leadership is not a pleasure. On the contrary, it is a deep and heavy responsibility. No one believes more firmly than Barack Obama and Andrea Mitchell that all men and women are equal. They would be only too happy to let them make their own decisions for themselves. But sometimes they might make the wrong decisions and then where would we be?

Cheshire Cat on July 31, 2009 at 4:35 PM

capejasmine on July 31, 2009 at 4:12 PM

+1000000000 !!

I’m sending this comment to everyone I know!

TN Mom on July 31, 2009 at 4:35 PM

errr errr

ladyingray on July 31, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Jaibones on July 31, 2009 at 4:34 PM

If you need stopping power, go with +p or +P+ 9mm rounds. Stopping power or not, I’d rather have 15 chances to hit them in the head than 8.

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2009 at 4:39 PM

When Andrea Mitchell loses her insurance after NBC drops their coverage and switches to the government option she’ll find out what’s good for her.

Buy Danish on July 31, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Buy Danish: Hope’n and Change baby!!:)

canopfor on July 31, 2009 at 4:40 PM

And this woman calls herself a “journalist”.

Behold the vaunted Fourth Estate. They’d be our rulers if given the opportunity.

Techie on July 31, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Beakface strikes again. How typical…

Emily M. on July 31, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Perhaps we could have the NBPP review our ballots for correct voting prior to tabulation at the polling precinct?

Is that the kind of “good for them” she means?

What an elitist stink bomb! Hey, Alan! Divorce your arrogant, elitist Obama-worshiping wife!

ExpressoBold on July 31, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Where is AnninCA to tell us that euthanasia is good for us?
Hopefully taking advantage of it.
hindmost on July 31, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Awe, come on. There may be hope for ann someday and as liberals around here go, she is actually pleasant. She’s ok. Most of the liberals on here need to be slapped.

peacenprosperity on July 31, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Most people are smart enough to know anything Andrea Mitchell says is not worth listening to. Just another Obama knee walking drone! Do us all a favor Andrea, go somewhere and quietly eat your crap sandwich. No sane person is going to take a bite!

CDM on July 31, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Oh they’ll stick a clause in there somewhere to protect thier friends in the propaganda wing. They don’t want any bad publicity.

peacenprosperity on July 31, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I heard her say this this morning and was slackjawed that no one called her out on it. hack.

redfoxbluestate on July 31, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I can see it already. My premiums will double, my coverage will decrease, but I’ll receive a $25 rebate coupon from the feds. Adding insult to injury, my taxes will be raised to pay for all the uninsured. No thanks.

Blake on July 31, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I don’t even know where to begin. And to think her husband spent so many days around Rand’s coffee table.

This is Exhibit 1 for people who don’t believe us when we say elitism is a problem. And I say this as someone with three times her education.

DrSteve on July 31, 2009 at 5:11 PM

What a retard; Who’s mother does she think she is?

Cybergeezer on July 31, 2009 at 5:14 PM

How much is the Obama Mafioso paying this dumb bitch?

Cybergeezer on July 31, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Just reading this AP article on Cuba’s financial woes: “Customer service, never stellar in state-run institutions, has suffered even more.”

How does the MSM square the circle? They said it – customer service sucks when provided by the state. Then they turn around and declare the we must have state-run health care. It will be awesome. It makes me sick, mostly because of all the sheeple out there that take their propaganda for truth.

shannonkelly on July 31, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Mitchell embodies everything wrong with “journalism” today.

The sooner she sinks forever into the tar pits of history, never to be seen or heard from in public again, the better.

she’s got both feet and one arm in already

Mike D. on July 31, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Now I know why all of those “extreme pastors” out there have been teaching on supernatural health/healing. They have been preaching it for such a time as this. If Obamacare passes, we are going to need Divine intervention to save our lives. So–get out of your comfort zones, start listening to some extreme pastors, read and digest your Bible and everything the Bible has to say on all topics, because He truly is our only hope. May you all live long and live strong!

Andrea: Seek Jesus, babe! YOUR Messiah is leading you down the wrong path.

What a putz!

Driefromseattle on July 31, 2009 at 5:23 PM

If Andrea was 1/10th as smart as she thinks she is, she would bolt the country before that pitchfork gets stuck in her ass.

Dave R. on July 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Dave R. on July 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM

\

lol.

bloggless on July 31, 2009 at 5:30 PM

shannonkelly on July 31, 2009 at 5:22 PM

They don’t. I was discussing earlier that if you read cuban blogs by cubans still in cuba, they will say the health system sucks. One posted photos of a hospital room and I wouldn’t let my dog be treated there. The bed and other furniture was falling apart and everything was absolutely filthy.

Also, I’ve been in forums with canadians and those from the UK for years. Most are pretty far left. They’ll defend their system because they hate the US but they also complain of long long waits to see a doctor or have an operation even though they are in pain. Many, have to come to the US for treatment because they health care system won’t pay for it. I know this guy whose daughter has birth defects. They pay for her to come to the US for surgery b/c the UK won’t pay for it. They expect her to be lame and to look like a freak. Now she can walk, go to kindergarten, and is cute as a button. It’s bare bones medicine over there and does nothing to improve the quality of life.

I suspect national healthcare will be worse in the US than Candada or the UK or any other country because we have over 305 million people compared to 35 million and 65 million.

Blake on July 31, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Highly ironic:

I was discussing healthcare reform with a liberal co-worker. She wanted gov’t medicine because she and her husband found “it is too confusing to have to decide which plan they should choose, it would be better if there was just one plan and everyone had to be on it.”

Further discussion also revealed that she and her husband were on seperate healthcare plans – she was on the one offered through our work and he was on a different one offered through his work. I suggested that they should both be on the same plan (because they are married) and it would be a lot cheaper. I have no idea why that had not occured to her.

So, Andrea might be partially correst, but I think it is liberals who don’t know how to take care of themselves.

bitsy on July 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Heard that on Rushs show today. . . She’s a friggin
Nurse Ratched in training.

Texyank on July 31, 2009 at 5:47 PM

How does Greenspan do it?

Chuck Schick on July 31, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I am going to guess with a good jag on and the lights off.

proudteadrinker on July 31, 2009 at 5:54 PM

We need to keep this sort of thing around to remind all the ‘libertarians’ who voted for Obama that this is what you get when you vote for a liberal.

gwelf on July 31, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Yep,,, we’re all just cattle. Just sitting out here in the field chewing grass,, lookin around without a clue. Waitin for some smart person like Andrea to come along and point out what’s good for us.
Thanks Andrea.

JellyToast on July 31, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I know what’s good for me; not watching this moron on TV. Keeps my blood pressure down!

AZDREAMER on July 31, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I’m glad there were many of you who were able to make me laugh at this lemon faced b*tch, because when I heard this earlier today on Rush, I almost threw the radio across the room! I despise these elite “journalists”. I wish them nothing but misery and karmic justice in their journey through life.

anniekc on July 31, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Taxation is not charity.

It is not charitable to use tax money to provide health insurance to somebody who does not have it, or to provide food or shelter to somebody who is homeless. That is simply government spending money to promote it’s own interests, which they figure are furthered by this type of spending.

gridlock2 on July 31, 2009 at 6:41 PM

what would happen to the country?

How long would it take to build the socialist government back upfor the cheering to stop?

FIFY

Europellets are for killing Europeans, 45s are for killing dangerous people. 15 round magazines are for people who can’t shoot. 8 round magazines are for fighting multiple adversaries.

single stack on July 31, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Yeas Andrea the people who pay for or get their insurance through their employer do know what is good for them and OSAMA OBAMA BIN LADEN’s plan AINT IT (Poor use of the english language)Its just that your are too STUPID AND/Or BRAIN DEAD to figure it out. Like Savage says “Liberalism is a MENTAL DISORDER”

Best Regards

hamradio on July 31, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Sorry for the spelling errors.

hamradio on July 31, 2009 at 7:32 PM

When ever a liberal gets up on their high horse about the urgent need to pass Obamacare the first thing you should ask them is if they are going to give up their current health insurance and sign up for the public plan and if not why not?

Dreadnought223 on July 31, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Here is my true answer. I joined Kaiser way back when my family was young.

Yeah, it was different. But I grew to absolutely love it.

I don’t object to Kaiser-type insurance. I have changed.

I think private insurance today puts a HUGE burden on people. Man, you have to now figure out your disease, even though you’re not a doctor, and then figure out where to go and what treatment is right.

I don’t envy that.

I really like my insurance program. They do share info. I don’t get an antibiotic with every cold.

That’s OK.

I think they are right.

Anyway, I really don’t get all the healthcare fear stuff about this.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Well, you guys asked.

funky chicken on July 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

capejasmine on July 31, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Exactly what we all should be doing. Looking for people (not D’s or R’s) that stand for the Constitution and the principles of Capitalism that made this country great. And throwing out all who we know don’t. Then after an election, continue to hold them accountable.

hillbilly on July 31, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Somebody please tell old hatchet face to blow it out of her ear or the orifice of her choice. That woman is a complete moron.

rplat on July 31, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Anyway, I really don’t get all the healthcare fear stuff about this.

AnninCA

I imagine there are plenty of things that you just don’t get….like 2+2…

xblade on July 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Keep your friggin laws off of my body

CWforFreedom on July 31, 2009 at 11:55 PM

How on Earth did Mitchell ever get to a position where her opinion would be sought about anything?The woman is an idiot.

DDT on August 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM

This little commie pig needs to move to Cuba and tell us how great it is..She doesn’t need to live here….

adamsmith on August 1, 2009 at 7:06 AM

after the past two weeks it is politically correct to say the democratic party is stupid as is its leader.

bluegrass on August 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Which one’s “better” for me? A 45ACP or a 9mm?

StimulateTHIS on July 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Jaibones on July 31, 2009

They will both do the job, center mass, but the .45 may obviate the need for a double tap. Oh, what the hell…double tap em anyway. Then you will have certainty and you can measure your grouping.

SKYFOX on August 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM

She is really this dumb? Who does she think she’s talking about.
Her comments are just a disgrace.

mmcnamer1 on August 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Isnt’ this old whore married to Greenspan?

AntonK on August 1, 2009 at 9:08 PM