Palin: No, I’m not speaking at the Reagan Library next week

posted at 10:32 pm on July 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Palin fans have been murmuring excitedly about this event for awhile now, with good reason. It’s a natural venue for her to make her first post-gubernatorial appearance. It’s closed to the press, her pal John Ziegler is emceeing, and it would let her symbolically lay claim to the Reagan mantle that her fans have bestowed on her. The organizers of the event, the Republican Women Federated of Simi Valley, went so far as to say a few weeks ago that she was scheduled to attend.

And now, this.

As repeatedly stated to several in the media over the last week, former Governor Sarah Palin is not committed to attend the Simi Valley Republican Women’s event at the Reagan Library and in fact is not attending the event. Neither the Governor’s state staff nor SarahPAC has ever committed to attending this event or speaking at this event, and even requested that the Governor’s name be removed from the invitation several weeks ago. The Governor has other work and commitments to take care of at that time. She looks forward to visiting her friends in California soon.

All event requests must be confirmed with Meghan Stapleton of SarahPAC. Additionally, all invitations bearing the Governor’s name must be approved by her attorney before proceeding.

Thank you.
Meghan Stapleton

Conservatives 4 Palin is quick to point out that Palin herself never said she would be there, or at least not publicly. I’ll be curious to hear what the organizers have to say about that tomorrow, especially given her track record of miscommunications when being booked for events. If it’s true that they invented the fact of her attendance in hopes of pressuring her to come, they owe her a groveling apology for getting her fans’ hopes up. In the meantime, though, what could she have scheduled that’s so critical that she can’t skip it for a big lower-48 debut on Ronald Reagan’s home turf? It’s political gold. Stay tuned.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Palin supporters are building a bridge to Nowhere.

The Race Card on July 31, 2009 at 12:19 PM

That’s where we’ll find the country post-Obama. We’ll need someone like Palin, with the vision and character to lead us back to the future.

littleguy on July 31, 2009 at 12:23 PM

And this divisive behavior is un-American.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Now you sound like Carl Bernstein.

littleguy on July 31, 2009 at 12:25 PM

More rehashing of the old blather. Couric spent her time with Palin trying to trip her up, and yet the one thing that still captures the Palinphobes’ attention is the answer about the periodicals. Palin wasn’t playing the game. She still won’t play the game. I like that… a lot.

littleguy on July 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Great, now reading is a “game.”

Are Palinphobes like homophobes — afraid — very afraid? Maybe people just don’t find her all that impressive.

Palin supporters seem to share one, whiny, barely-firing synapse with which they collectively bemoan the confusing anti-Palin din coming from outside the sanitarium walls.

The Race Card on July 31, 2009 at 12:27 PM

littleguy on July 31, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Do you support the behavior of an organized group tracking, bullying, threatening and personally name calling anyone who is neutral about Palin, anyone who expresses any doubt about Palin, anyone who expresses any criticism of Palin, no matter how fair that criticism is, and no matter how outspoken their support for the GOP or conservative causes?

How would you describe that?

Is Ed Morrissey a traitor?

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM

littleguy on July 31, 2009 at 12:23 PM

You’re looking through rose-colored beer goggles.

The Race Card on July 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM

This isn’t political discussion. it isn’t defending a candidate. It’s more like a cult that uses coercion to force submission. And that’s what the worst of the Palin supporters are doing. And it is adding fuel to the fire of her unfair critics, demolishing all bridges within the GOP so that there will be only one left standing, the bridge to Palin. And this divisive behavior is un-American.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Please stop! I have no idea how you can be so threatened by people on an anonymous blog!

We don’t need people to adhere to what you consider “good blog behavior”, we need people to fight and fight like hell. Most Republicans and conservatives have turned into spineless squishes where the slightest raised voice makes them run and hide or apology profusely.

If you don’t like what someone says fight back. Hammer them, but don’t expect people to back off just because you can’t handle it.

Oh yeah … just who are you to define what is or isn’t “political discussion”?

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Great, now reading is a “game.”

The Race Card on July 31, 2009 at 12:27 PM

LOL. Please, tell me more about what it’s like in the sanitarium.

littleguy on July 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I wonder if President Palin will invite AP to her inaugural ball?

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 31, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Oh yeah … just who are you to define what is or isn’t “political discussion”?

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Thanks for giving me permission to fight.

What would Ronald Reagan and his supporters do when faced with criticism of Reagan? Attempt to coerce submission? No. Is coerced submission what Sarah Palin stands for? No. But it certainly is what many of her organized supporters are attempting to do here.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM

No other candidate could run with such a deep quiver of non-specific platform ideas except for Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The Race Card on July 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM

If the bridge is covered with people who attack anyone who criticizes Palin, EVER, it’s better to burn those bridges.

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Palin supporters are building a bridge to Nowhere.

The Race Card on July 31, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Am I’m supposed to think that the posters I quoted above are “bridge building?”

katiejane on July 31, 2009 at 12:41 PM

How would you describe that?

Is Ed Morrissey a traitor?

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I speak for myself. But, I don’t see this “organized” campaign to torment folks whose only intent is to offer constructive criticism. After all the fire and brimstone aimed at… whomever it is you’re aiming at… I see kooks like TRC flailing about, spraying everyone here with spittle in a red hot rage. What I don’t see is you knocking his BS down. Personally, I kinda like Ed, but I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they conclusively prove their unworthiness to me.

littleguy on July 31, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Am = And

katiejane on July 31, 2009 at 12:42 PM

LOL. Please, tell me more about what it’s like in your own private wing of the sanitarium.

littleguy on July 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM

If sanitary napkins are so clean why does everybody stare at me when I wipe my face with them?

The Race Card on July 31, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Coerced submission? You’re that easy to influence?

Palin supporters are defending her, which is their right to do, from attacks by supposed fellow conservatives. I presume Reagan would approve.

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 12:45 PM

DIY! Knock my BS down, please. That way you won’t have to “see” anything. You can live it.

The Race Card on July 31, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Am I’m supposed to think that the posters I quoted above are “bridge building?”

katiejane on July 31, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Sarah Palin is not a public office holder. She is not an announced candidate for office. She is a private citizen and a member of the GOP. At the moment, I’m more concerned about the attempts of some Palin supporters to coerce the submission of others, and the negative impact this will have on our Grand Old Party.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:50 PM

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Coerced submission? You’re that easy to influence?

Apparently not.

And these “supposed conservatives” are also being called every degrading name in the book, including “supposed conservatives.”

No. Ronald Reagan would never have approved this approach.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I wonder if President Palin will invite AP to her inaugural ball?

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 31, 2009 at 12:36 PM

That would be delightful.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:56 PM

No. Ronald Reagan would never have approved this approach.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Good Lord, either you’re an extremely sensitive type or you’re too far out on a limb for anyone to help you down.

You take this way, way, way, way too personally.

Perhaps commenting on a gardening blog would better suit you. Be careful of the rose people though … they’re always trying to coerce the lily folks.

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 12:58 PM

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I don’t really care what you say about me. So, please feel free to call me whatever names you wish.

However, I do care about what the Palin bullies are doing to other people and to the GOP. Making sure the GOP is pure, no matter how small that makes our party, is not going to win national elections. I care about that.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 1:07 PM

You take this way, way, way, way too personally.

I agree.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 1:07 PM

If anyone is qualified to speak against bullies, it’s Palin herself. She’s endured more than just some anonymous commenters on a blog.

I might suggest you take a cue from her and either fight back when appropriate or ignore.

Talking, yelling, spitting, name calling, punching, kicking … it’s all going to be necessary because the GOP has to change, and civil discourse won’t make it happen.

People have to be able to express their opinions in the fashion they choose whether you like it or not.

This really isn’t about Palin, it’s what she represents. She represents what many of us really want in a politician, in a leader … that’s what people are so protective of. We haven’t seen those qualities in a long time and people don’t want to let it slip away.

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Now I’m confused – You AREN’T concerned about posters attacking Sarah Palin because she is not a public office holder. She is not an announced candidate for office. She is a private citizen and a member of the GOP but you ARE concerned about her supporters attacking other posters because they heap personal attacks on her?

It’s acceptable to you for the anti-Palin crowd to constantly demean Palin and her supporters but somehow Palin supporters will have a negative effect on the GOP by responding to the bashing? How is the anti-Palin crowd attacking her supporters, calling them stupid, cultists, hicks, etc, etc, building Party unity? Seems to me like the anti-Palin group are the ones gleefully joining into the Dem meme that the GOP and our nominee McCain were stupid and unpatriotic when she was picked as the VP candidate.

katiejane on July 31, 2009 at 1:19 PM

You know, I don’t even know if I support Palin. That’s the truth.

I know I was appalled by the attacks.

But at this point, that’s not enough to go forward. I will say this, stories such as this, don’t strike me as helpful politically.

It’s about stupid stuff. It seems “agenda-driven.”

I do know, already, I’m not interested in Pawlenty, so if that’s the agenda of this blog, I’m sure I’ll exit at some point.

I’m just not interested in yet one more GOP white guy who talks great and then we find out he’s got a mistress or a guy on the side and is blowing smoke.

no thanks.

I still trust Sarah to be representing who she really is.

I don’t really trust the others.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Great, now reading is a “game.”

Oh good grief. You can’t talk to trolls, and certainly not to the species that prowl around Palin threads.

I hope it is clear to AP how counter-productive such postings are, which say nothing but unleash a lot of in-house sniping. Can we please turn the guns back on the Democrats?

evergreen on July 31, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Palination is growing stronger.
You will be assimilated or be destroyed.
Resistance is futile.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!1!!!1!

Brian1972 on July 31, 2009 at 3:47 PM

It’s very easy to demolish bridges. It takes a lot of patience, work and time to build them.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 11:54 AM

And is it “bridge building” to attack her supporters when no one even knows IF she intends to run for national office? Is it “bridge building” to call her supporters Palinbots, Palinistas?

katiejane on July 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Take a breath, slow down, why don’t you. Where did Loxodonta attack Palin’s supporters? I don’t think that anyone here, except the occasional troll, has ever used either of the terms Palinbot and Palinista to refer to everyone who supports Palin.

A major point of confusion seems to be a problem in differing definitions of the word “support”. I would describe a Palinbot or Palinista as someone who thinks that supporting Palin means that uttering any word of criticism about her or any of her decisions demonstrates a lack of support for her, or even hatred for her. I have seen people who deign to not demonstrate unconditional and absolute confidence in Palin as the best and brightest and only hope for conservatism and the Republican party called RINOs, CINOs, trolls, traitors, etc. And I’ve seen that kind of behavior numerous times in threads here.

But let me turn your question back on you. Is it “bridge building” to call those who are not 100% certain about Palin’s potential for the presidency at this point RINOs, CINOs, and traitors?

ProfessorMiao on July 31, 2009 at 4:06 PM

darwin on July 31, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I don’t recall Reagan ever defending himself by resorting to ad hominem attacks on his critics. And I haven’t seen Palin do it either. The Koskids do it all the time. And conservatives often say when you can’t attack the message, attack the messenger, no?

ProfessorMiao on July 31, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Anyone catch this..

jerrytbg on July 31, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Sarah Palin is not the next Ronald Reagan.

It needs to be said.

therightwinger on July 31, 2009 at 1:00 AM
There is no “next” Ronald Reagan.

Sarah Palin is Sarah Palin, and that’s just fine with me.

Brian1972 on July 31, 2009 at 1:02 AM

The GOP will never allow the “next Reagan”, much less the Left. Let a candidate be a target for a few well-aimed zingers coupled with the words “unelectable joke”, and half the “party” is out the door.

ddrintn on July 31, 2009 at 4:53 PM

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM

That’s fair.

I’ll support any conservative who’s ready to take the fight to the enemy. It’s just that simple.

A conservative who lives by what they say and isn’t afraid of breaking a nail or offending the delicate sensibilities of the left.

So far, there are only a few political figures that fit this description… Palin, DeMint, Pence, Cantor, Boehner, Bachmann, Cheney (both of them)…and then my list starts to run a little dry.

Of that list, only Palin has the potential of going for the big ticket. I know people assume this site is a Romney friendly zone…but seriously…he’s not a conservative. His defense and support of RomneyCare put the nail on the coffin for me. Pawlenty has his moments but I don’t know if he’s really a strong conservative or just right about a few things. I’m not entirely convinced he’s a fighter either.

It’s still really early though. Who knows what will happen over the next few years but as for now, Palin is the only one who meets the criteria I’m looking for in a president.

powerpro on July 31, 2009 at 6:29 PM

For the sake of the GOP…

Caint we all jest try to git along?

Like, Prof Gates & Sgt Crowley?

“Let’s Roll”