Encore: Master thespian reads Palin’s Twitter free verse

posted at 5:15 pm on July 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Back by popular demand. These bits are actually less a testament to her goofiness than to the ability of Shatner’s sublime hamminess to make anything funny. Set it to bass and bongos and add a few patented melodramatic pauses and even “I … have a dream” would be comedy gold. And yet, light-hearted though they may be, I think these late-night hit-and-runs are more damaging to her than all the dreary hit pieces from left-wing politicos. Bit by bit, they’ve Quaylized her to the point where it’s hard to imagine what she could do to erase the impression that she’s a joke. Conservative pundits keep telling her to bone up on policy and show that she knows her stuff, but that only solves half the problem; to keep the doofus meme at bay, she’d have to be flawless going forward. Any bad answer or “I don’t know” or awkward phrasing along the way would be an occasion to resuscitate it. It’s basically an impossible task. Just ask The One, who’s hours away from beer diplomacy to undo the damage from his nationally televised, fantastically stupid Gatesgate answer.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

My impression is that she doesn’t care and she just attacks the media for being “elitist.”

terryannonline on July 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Are you trying to say that they are not?

atheling on July 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Forget Hollywood, DC whatever. Palin’s speeches are incoherent. She is worse than Bush. Can we afford another Bush? I don’t think so.

Chekote on July 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Sad to say but I would have to agree. Bush wasn’t very eloquent but I could follow his speeches/interviews much better. Also with Bush I think we learned the importance of having excellent communication skills. Instead of focusing the substance of Bush’s speeches the media would oftentimes run with the gaffes he made. That was unfortunate.

terryannonline on July 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Are you trying to say that they are not?

atheling on July 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Yes the media are elitist but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a point when they talk about her speeches being incoherent.

terryannonline on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Chekote on July 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM

terryannonline on July 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Useful idiot.

atheling on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

You know, I believe in justice. Not much the legal kind, but the Divine one.

I’m sure that all of those who damaged her as they have done will pay in spades for all of the evil they heaped upon her and her family. We may not see it right now, or not even in ten years. The wheels of justice may grind slow, but grind to powder when they do.

newton on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

terryannonline on July 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I am not a follower of Twitter but people here love to link them, especially Allah’s. Do you think they are truly representative of a man with such mastery with the written word? Gosh, I hope he isn’t reading this. I am not encouraging people to vote for someone they don’t believe is up to the job but it would be nice if we didn’t cannibalize our own. Besides she will come in handy when it’s time to raise money and crowds.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I don’t think that Palin will be able to recover from the damage. May be in 10 years but I doubt it.

Chekote on July 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Disagree. With preparation and practice, six successful months on the stump and there will be begrudging improvements in the way she is covered by the MSM. And the more candidates she can be shown to have helped win in 2010, the more there will be those wonderful little cameo’s from the media: “Sarah Palin has become more effective on the campaign trail. What happened?” Followed with analysis from commentators that she obviously has listened to them.

Loxodonta on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

terryannonline on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

You really didn’t listen to her speech, did you? If you did, you would have seen that she addressed, “SOME” of the media. She not only said “SOME” once, but “SOME” twice. Therefore, she implied that there are some in the media who are doing their jobs.

terry, you need to employ better critical thinking skills. The devil is in the details.

atheling on July 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM

terryannonline on July 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Well pardon me if I don’t agree with your impressions or the elitist media you seem to agree with. I will follow the impression of the most listened to man in America El Rushbo. Rush is right 99.6% of the time and he says the libs, RINOs’, media and Country Club Republicans absolutely fear Sarah, which makes me wonder of those bashing or diminishing her which are you?

dhunter on July 30, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I liked it. At least they are trying to be funny without being offensive.

Chubbs65 on July 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM

terryannonline on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Hey terryann, there is a headline on the main page you should be reading now. You are spinning your wheels here & you should know that by now.

Americannodash on July 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Dear Cindy – I’d be happy to explain precisely how to demonstrate depth & breadth in politics within the 140 character limit imposed by Twit

Loxodonta on July 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM

atheling: I’m bailing. Lox and the graylady are acting too crazy for me.

Blake on July 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Poor baby…

ladyingray on July 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

atheling on July 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Sir Kissupalot continues his 25000 word manifesto. Condensed version: Long live the Queen!

Bradky on July 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM

140 character limit imposed by Twit

Loxodonta on July 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I don’t think you should call Allah names. /

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM

atheling on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

yep: a two-for-one offering–and speaking of idiots……..

Bradky on July 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM

another incoherent blathering…….

Janos Hunyadi on July 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM

terryannonline on July 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Dear Terry, I’m about to stop posting so I can have a nap attack in my basement of solitude. That is, if I can get this walker going and my dentures don’t fall out.

I know we often see things differently, so I apologize for teasing you earlier without warning. I meant no harm. Do take care.

Loxodonta on July 30, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Janos Hunyadi on July 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Ah yes the resident dung beatle has emerged from the turds

Bradky on July 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Janos Hunyadi on July 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM

PopTech without the cut & paste skills.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Chekote on July 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM

No. Save us, Mitt!!!!!

To quote J. R. Dunn at American Thinker:

She will be back. Not for 2012. The GOP has its plans already worked out. Very clever ones, too. The Republicans will do what they always do when they’re up against it: grab an empty suit and run around shaking it in people’s faces while shouting, “Here’s the man!” By 2012, after his policies really hit home, as gas and home fuel prices triple and quadruple, as medical rationing begins, as the renewed Axis of Evil runs wild across Eurasia, Obama will be ready to drop. At that point he could be defeated by a ticket consisting of Charley Manson and Jojo the Dogface Boy. But the GOP will blow it all the same. Exactly as the party did in ’96, following the same script to the letter. They will, to coin a phrase, Mitt it up. …

Sarah Palin is not ready, they insist. It’s just as apt to say that we — the GOP, the conservative establishment, the country — are not ready for her. An electorate will always fall for the professional pol, slick, convincing, and empty, before turning in desperation to the truly human candidate. But the time will come.

The friggin’ GOP deserves to be in the wilderness a good long time.

ddrintn on July 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Bradky on July 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Sticking with the topic at hand or a related issue is hard for you Bradky, isn’t it? Why are you being be inciteful to other individuals on this thread? Can you do something, anything positive on this thread?

Americannodash on July 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Bradky on July 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM

You’re the resident genius on turds–and obesity

Janos Hunyadi on July 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I don’t think you should call Allah names. /

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Never! But if I did, at least I know not to use the chiefly British term, but the proper, American term. Twerp.

Remember, proper spelling grammar and word usage count in posting. So, please make a note of this for future reference.

Good evening my dear, fine lady.

Loxodonta on July 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Americannodash on July 30, 2009

And goodnight to you, too, dear lug nut.

Loxodonta on July 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Loxodonta on July 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM

It does seem like an excellent time to say goodnight. Sweet dreams everyone.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Janos Hunyadi on July 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Don’t worry sweets – one day you will develop enough writing skills so you can graduate from name calling to basic opinions…

Bradky on July 30, 2009 at 10:52 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM

New Palin thread ;)

Upstater85 on July 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM

You are very fast with your abusive name calling. Not much else though.

Loxodonta on July 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I call it as I see it. And you have shown yourself to be a hypocrite.

atheling on July 30, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Loxodonta — logic and tact are two things extremely foreign to this woman. She is conservative, so she’s got it half right, but she’s also quite thickheaded, so indeed, she has quite a ways to go.

But who am I to say anything?
I’m just a moron because I don’t like the behavior of certain Palinuts.

The nerve!

blatantblue on July 30, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Bradky on July 30, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Ah yes the resident dung beatle has emerged from the turds

Bradky on July 30, 2009 at 10:41 P

M

Maybe if you stopped having to eat your words you wouldn’t be so bloated, sergeant

Janos Hunyadi on July 30, 2009 at 10:56 PM

In this case, I think we’re seeing a bit of juvenile narcissism, as she thinks every comment is directed to her.

Liars and hypocrites, apparently.

atheling on July 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

If anyone is consumed with a vanity as deep as the mid-Atlantic rift, it is you.

blatantblue on July 30, 2009 at 11:30 PM

blatantblue on July 30, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Great title for a song BB, “Vanity as deep as the mid-Atlantic rift.” Bill Cosby would be proud of your exaggeration skills.

Americannodash on July 31, 2009 at 12:09 AM

First, Sarah Palin is no Dan Quayle. Second, Quayle got Quaylized before the internet and new media. Today people realize THEY’RE the joke. If Palin makes a serious run it will be seriously awesome.

miles on July 31, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Americannodash on July 31, 2009 at 12:09 AM

You’re free to dislike the messenger, but the message is true

Atheling is a jerk

blatantblue on July 31, 2009 at 8:00 AM

translation:
If the media wants to make everyone believe you are an idiot, you have to accept that your career is over.

MarkTheGreat on July 31, 2009 at 9:27 AM

MarkTheGreat on July 31, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Or, or, OR… Bear with me here. The concept I’m attempting to forward is fairly complex. Strap in.

OR she should stop saying stupid things and communicating with all the aplomb of a 6th grade girl. People think she’s stupid because she comes off as stupid at every turn.

Krydor on July 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Krydor on July 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Sarah Palin is not stupid. But many people in the news and entertainment media, academia, and the Liberal Democratic Party are elite, condescending, pseudo-intellectual snobs.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:15 AM

You’re free to dislike the messenger, but the message is true

Atheling is a jerk

blatantblue on July 31, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Here’s a true message for you: You’re a joke.

Blake on July 31, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Read what I wrote and not what you think I wrote. She may be brilliant, but she handles herself in public like a buffoon.

I happen to think she’s out of her depth at this level. That’s just how it is. Unless she takes it upon herself to improve, she will be the butt of jokes.

Krydor on July 31, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Krydor on July 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Are you even a US citizen?

Blake on July 31, 2009 at 10:28 AM

That’s funny stuff when recited by Shatner, but I can’t say any of it seems career-damaging.

Kralizec on July 31, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Read what I wrote and not what you think I wrote.

Krydor on July 31, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Okay. I have no doubt that Palin can improve her performance when giving speeches and especially interviews. But I don’t think it’s as bad as you are stating. Some of the criticism of her is quite fair, even if uncomfortable. But the harshest and most unfair language is aimed at her by elitists who seem to also have contempt for average, common Americans.

Loxodonta on July 31, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Blake on July 31, 2009 at 10:28 AM

My nationality has nothing to do with the apparent inability of Palin to speak or write effectively.

I’m Canadian, if it matters. It doesn’t. I do know how political machines work. Palin at the head of a political party, as she currently comports herself, is a disaster waiting to happen.

What you are seeing now is nothing compared to 2012.

Krydor on July 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Krydor on July 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Touchy Touchy. I guess you’ve been told before no one gives a shite what a cannuck thinks, huh? Well, add this to the pile.

Blake on July 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Encore: Master thespian reads Palin’s Twitter free verse

The demonizing of Sarah Palin done by the MSM, especially Katie Curic was unforgivable, and won’t be forgotten. I personally boycott CBS, and MSNBC.

WHERE’S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE BARRY???

byteshredder on July 31, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Joke to whom?

From the beginning Palin has had the wind at her back. The idiots who thought they could sue her into oblivion in Alaska ended up lauching a Presidential campaign at a more fortunate time I could not imagine. The buzz created by her resignation and book tour got her press money can’t buy, and has excised the McCain from her image

The timing is pure luck, at the cusp of total national economic collapse, and collapse in trust for the current Presidency, and anyone tainted by the current Congress.

Palin was rejected by the elites of both sides, and that is the best reference anyone could wish for, to gain the public trust which is presently looking for a home

I am a big Shatner fan. I wouldn’t use the phrase ‘sublime hamminess’ to describe his act, I would say ‘talent’. Shatner always becomes the center of the scene. I thought his Palin spoof was elegant and a great way to show off his abilities. He blows away the children playing adult on the comedie channels.

No harm done to Palin. If Shatner did it every week, it would only build Palin image. Cnnsidering the rebellion brewing in the hinterlands, she will gain from mockery, and Shatner was not mocking, only toying, which is a gentleman’s game. They both came out ahead.

To Shatner: bravo

They do keep telling her that, don’t they? If she tries really really hard, maybe she can sound like Biden or Gore, spouting very important facts and figures.

Palin should hope pundits keep up the attackes on her qualifications for office. It will push the rebel voters to vote for her

entagor on December 12, 2009 at 4:04 AM

To their credit, whatever that might be, the media and culture of celebrity they represent are consistently enamored by inconsequential fluff of meaningless celebrity.

Bushian English could pop up at any moment. His intent, however, was clear and precise. If he said it, he meant it and acted on it with the force of conviction.

Obama can speak with leg-tingling flourish because he doesn’t have to consider old-fashioned and outdated rhetorical values like plain truth, real consequences, open accountability, and personal responsibility.

No wonder Hollywood & MSM latched on with such enthusiasm. He could have been one of their very own… made up, well rehearsed, meticulously scripted, nauseatingly overexposed, and continually reminded by parasitic handlers and hangers on that the Little People are clamoring for their particular brand of narcissism.

realityunwound on December 12, 2009 at 11:32 AM