Disaster strikes beer summit: Biden decides to attend; Update: Obama issues statement; Update: “Toast” photo added; Update: Gates issues statement; Update: Obama played only a small part, says Crowley

posted at 7:18 pm on July 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Video via Greg Hengler. I wonder how long it took Greasy Joe to tell his first “two blacks and an Irishman walk into a bar” joke. Over/under is 11 seconds.

Tapper, live on the scene, relays the excruciating details:

In the less than two minutes that we were out there, Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Sgt. Jim Crowley did almost all of the talking. It didn’t appear chummy, but then again Gates has said Crowley racially profiled him, falsified a police report about him, and owes him an apology. Crowley says he did nothing wrong, resents being portrayed as a racist, and has said he came here with the understanding that he and Gates had agreed to disagree…

Both Gates and Crowley brought their families to the White House and they toured the East Wing together before the sit-down. Gates brought his kids, fiancé and father. Crowley brought his wife and kids.

Exit question: How many beers did Biden have before he brought up the birth certificate? I’m guessing one and a half.

Update: Crowley’s holding a press conference right now but it looks like The One won’t have much more to say tonight beyond this:

I am thankful to Professor Gates and Sergeant Crowley for joining me at the White House this evening for a friendly, thoughtful conversation. Even before we sat down for the beer, I learned that the two gentlemen spent some time together listening to one another, which is a testament to them. I have always believed that what brings us together is stronger than what pulls us apart. I am confident that has happened here tonight, and I am hopeful that all of us are able to draw this positive lesson from this episode.

Update: Healing.

Update: Looks like Gates will pass on the presser but he’s got a statement of his own out now. Excerpt:

Sergeant Crowley and I, through an accident of time and place, have been cast together, inextricably, as characters – as metaphors, really – in a thousand narratives about race over which he and I have absolutely no control. Narratives about race are as old as the founding of this great Republic itself, but these new ones have unfolded precisely when Americans signaled to the world our country’s great progress by overcoming centuries of habit and fear, and electing an African American as President. It is incumbent upon Sergeant Crowley and me to utilize the great opportunity that fate has given us to foster greater sympathy among the American public for the daily perils of policing on the one hand, and for the genuine fears of racial profiling on the other hand.

Let me say that I thank God that live in a country in which police officers put their lives at risk to protect us every day, and, more than ever, I’ve come to understand and appreciate their daily sacrifices on our behalf. I’m also grateful that we live in a country where freedom of speech is a sacrosanct value and I hope that one day we can get to know each other better, as we began to do at the White House this afternoon over beers with President Obama.

Update: Here’s the video of Crowley’s presser, in which he describes The One’s role as not much more than providing the beer. He and Gates are going to meet again privately but as far as the arrest goes, they “agree to disagree.”

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I’m just hoping someone had the good sense to rob Henry Gates’s house today.

Proud Rino on July 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM

That deserved another posting – too funny!

Dork B. on July 31, 2009 at 7:39 AM

You know,,, this is not something a POTUS does. This is an embarrassment. It is an absolute embarrassment! No other way to describe it.
This is something a vain community organizer does to impress a Harvard friend. This is something a little kid does while his parents are on vacation. He dresses up in dad’s clothes, steals the credit card and pretends he’s now the one in charge of his dad’s business. Next he sets about getting back at all those people that stepped on him while showing off in front of his friends.
This is an act of a small minded man who wants to show all his old radical buddies how powerful he has become.
“Hey Joey? I hear you got arrested? No problem, I can handle it. Stick with me and I’ll protect you!”
Obama has lowered the office of President to the backroom of a bar.
He is what he is,, a community agitator.

JellyToast on July 31, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Notice that the photo focuses on Obama and Gates during the toast. YOu can’t even see Crowley’s beer.

BTW, anyone know if a parady of “Mr. Crowly” has been done about the cop?

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 31, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I don’t understand what Crowley gets out of this. Three racists use him for a photo op? I’s have told Bozo to do something anatomically difficult, if he smeared me out of hand as a racist as he did to Crowley.

dogsoldier on July 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM

The good news is each beer only cost taxpayers $320,000,000.

Coronagold on July 31, 2009 at 8:12 AM

In fact, Biden reminds me of Wimpy, from the Popeye comics, in certain ways.

Shy Guy on July 31, 2009 at 7:07 AM

Do you mean something like…”I’ll gladly pay you next decade for a Trillion dollar expansion of the Federal Government today..”?

Red State State of Mind on July 31, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Why did Biden show up for this particular photo-op? I think the answer is racial. Politically correct racial equality requires equal numbers of white and blacks at the table. It seems clear to me that Biden was brought in to fill a racial quota so that there would be 2 blacks and 2 whites for the photo-op. It is clear that identity politics drives the democrats even when they falsely claim to be trying to move beyond it. A teachable moment indeed.

Dollayo on July 31, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Joe Biden — the other white guy.

bitsy on July 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Was that a reference to the Pork commercials?

Red State State of Mind on July 31, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Question Crowley was asked: Did anyone apologize?

Answer “No”

That includes Obama… I am half surprised Joe didn’t throw an apology out there for not being as good of a pick as Hillary.

It is odd that Obama will apologize for everything the nation has done to every person on the planet, but won’t make a true, no-contingency apology when he was definitely wrong.

jeffn21 on July 31, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Dollayo on July 31, 2009 at 8:25 AM

The all-white garden table and chairs proves you wrong. :)

Shy Guy on July 31, 2009 at 8:52 AM

“Whatever,” -Sgt. Crowley.

Akzed on July 31, 2009 at 8:53 AM

The good news is each beer only cost taxpayers $320,000,000.

Coronagold on July 31, 2009 at 8:12 AM

$319,999,999.80.

You forgot the bottle deposit Michelle gets when she brings the empties back to the super.

Shy Guy on July 31, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Poor Barry. Everything’s going down the toilet for him right now. His Beer Summit was nothing but a bunch of foam.

kingsjester on July 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Of course someone had Biden join the group. Just because 2 race hustlers were ganging up on a humble caucasian public servant, didn’t mean they had to give the appearance of 2 race hustlers ganging up on a humble caucasian public servant!

ginnypub on July 31, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Gates:

Oh please! You have been trying to control the narrative your entire career, such as with your efforts to label a curriculum dominated by Western literature as “intellectual racism”. Moreover, you and you alone can control what you say when a policeman responds to a call, and you alone can control what you say when you whine and threaten to launch a lawsuit against a police officer.

Buy Danish on July 31, 2009 at 9:17 AM

It sounds like there’s going to be more brouhaha on this. Too bad.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Why did Biden show up for this particular photo-op? I think the answer is racial. *** A teachable moment indeed.
Dollayo on July 31, 2009 at 8:25 AM

I demand that Biden give a press conference and give us his impressions–off the cuff, preferably.

Outlander on July 31, 2009 at 9:32 AM

The news media reported that Biden was drinking non-alcoholic beer. All humor aside, is Joe a friend of Bill W.?

budorob on July 31, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I haven’t ever heard that, budorob.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 9:44 AM

The comments on this post have to be the funniest ever!

I’m just hoping someone had the good sense to rob Henry Gates’s house today.
Proud Rino on July 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM

+ 1000 – Comedy. Gold.

Biden hid Gates’ cane under the table and then said, “Stand up, Henry!”
Mark1971 on July 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM

+ 10 – Mark, on any other day, a winner. Rino nailed it.

I’m guessing Biden probably asked Gates if he started drinking Red Stripe after that “Helping White Guys Dance” commercial.
jon1979 on July 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM

+ 5 – Not a bad score given the quality today.

Biden: “All this healing is making a tingle run down my leg. Oh, wait, I think I just peed myself.”

Personally, if I were going to sit down and drink a beer with three ladies, it would be these three.

pain train on July 31, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Does not even come close to the Kitchen summit which improved relationships between U.S. and Russia.

MSGTAS on July 31, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I’m a Libertarian(conservative)and the only color that matters to me is green. And I’m not referring to the environmental scam….Supposed racism is alive only due to race hustlers and community organizers. Most people are “live and let live”. The media makes a buck off of convincing people they don’t like each other…

adamsmith on July 31, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I wonder if Gates brought up “yo mama” during the happy hour.Affirmative action race hustler quota recipient from Harvard. I would retire in shame….

adamsmith on July 31, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Blue Moon beer is a Belgian White beer. Sergeant Crowley continues to inject his bias in this mess! /sarc.

ricer1 on July 31, 2009 at 10:15 AM

I’m sure this has been touched upon at one point or another on this monster thread, but I viewed Crowley’s post beer-summit press conf and I can’t help but see what a supreme class-act he is as an individual. Big kudos to him for his exceptional poise and dignity, he really makes the uniform shine.

RepubChica on July 31, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Gates apparently is not a man with absolute rights that were trampled, but merely a metaphor to be engaged and interpreted.

Baloney.

Chris_Balsz on July 31, 2009 at 10:28 AM

So, it sounds like nothing was accomplished.
But, at least they got a tour of the white house.

bridgetown on July 31, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Gates is wrong and he knows it–only his ego and media cover keep him bitterly clinging to his scholarly credentials and the insidious racism in our country’s past.

Why didn’t the firebrand pedagogue seize a remarkable opportunity to enlighten us all? The floor was all his for the taking. Instead, he scurried for the comfort of his desk away from the media glare he sought hungrily just a week before. To hide his face behind his bald-faced lies.

RepubChica on July 31, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I wonder of Crowley and Gates was billed for their beer?

mizflame98 on July 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM

The most superficial display of BS I’ve ever witnessed.

Wyznowski on July 31, 2009 at 11:20 AM

You certainly have the right. I just suggest you don’t break the law while doing it.

Fighton03 on July 31, 2009 at 1:57 AM

It seems that many cops believe that telling them to kiss your ass is a crime. Crowley, according to his friends, expects deferential treatment from civilians.

rokemronnie on July 31, 2009 at 11:23 AM

It’s tough being a white cop in America.

You will be profiled no matter the circumstances.

jcrue on July 31, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Buy Danish on July 31, 2009 at 9:17 AM

I know. This is the same kind of banal, self-serving egocentric pomposity that TOTUS puts out. Disgusting.

petefrt on July 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM

That’s a great quote.

i have to admit obama certainly does have some great platitudes and rhetoric.

Maybe he is not such a bad guy?

I hope next election we will have learned the lesson that hope and positive change are things that inspire people and bring them into our party.

Obama certainly is making an effort to appear as a man of the people,thoughtful,patient and with good intentions.

An event such as this one will actually go a long way in forming the opinions of young minds throughout the country,building confidence and patriotism into young black folks who have always felt shafted and never particulary cared for this country and hopefully will breed tolerance of other races among all the fear based racists of any persuasion in this country..

Thank you Obama for being a good role model in this regard.

That being said, I will not be able to support him in the next presidential election unless he stops supporting(and therefore being complicit in) the abortion genocide that is taking place in this country and that has already claimed over 50 million lives! There are certain things you just cannot compromise in the name of coalition building Mr Obama.
It would also be great if Obama would abandon his heretical protestant faith,be converted and come home to the Holy Orthodox Church. This would be the best thing that he could do in terms of building global good will,making a positive impact upon history,correcting past wrongs and setting this country on a path of success instead of a path to inevitable failure.
I understand this may take some time, but our bishops are working on getting appointments with him and prosletyzing him as we speak.

MaximusConfessor on July 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM

One has to imagine if the two White House guests were asked for their credit cards in order to pay for their beers…

wonk-a-donk on July 31, 2009 at 11:36 AM

UM…

Thank you Obama for being a good role model in this regard.

…UH…

MaximusConfessor on July 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM

…WOW.

SaintOlaf, you’ve surpassed my complete inability to expect what garbage is going to come out of your mouth next.

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Dollayo on July 31, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Yes. Exactly (well, Biden is “barely there” anyway). Let’s call it the “Double Stuff Summit” and pass out Oreos. Twice the chocolate, twice the vanilla.

Saltyron on July 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM

City releases cop’s booking photo after losing appeal

By AMBER HUNT • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • July 31, 2009

The City of Detroit complied this morning with a Michigan Court of Appeals order to release to the Free Press a booking photo of an officer accused of stealing money from a police tip hot line.

Officer Stevie Perry, 38, of Detroit is charged with stealing more than $26,000 in reward money that was supposed to go to tipsters who called a hot line to help curb such crimes. Perry’s job was to investigate auto thefts.

The city briefly gave the Detroit Police Officers Association time this morning to weigh taking the matter to the state Supreme Court, but Ellen Ha, who handles Freedom of Information Act requests for the city, released the photo at 11 a.m.

The police union earlier this month challenged the release of Perry’s picture, arguing that it was part of his personnel file and that the collective-bargaining agreement prevented the city from making it public.

The appeals court, however, said “the booking photo was taken as a result of the initiation of criminal proceedings” and was not part of the personnel file.

Free Press attorney Herschel Fink said the police union’s attempts to thwart the release was “ridiculous.”

The appeals court, in its Thursday order, “clearly stated you can’t by contract bargain away what the legislature has given to the public, which is the right of access to their own records,” Fink said. “The government’s records belong to the people.”

Fink said the union’s efforts to protect a “rogue officer stealing from the public” was “very misguided.”

Wayne County Judge Michael Sapala ruled the city had to release the photo, but granted union attorneys time to file an emergency appeal, which they did.

Perry was released from police custody on $10,000 bond as his case proceeds.

Don’t you just love that? Cop unions insisting that a criminal cop’s mug shot is part of his “personnel” record. These are the same guys that call up media to make sure they know about an arrest report and have camera crews ready for a perp walk.

rokemronnie on July 31, 2009 at 11:58 AM

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Sigh..

So you’re still on the olaf kick are you?

Madison,I think it’s time for you to drop it,suck up your pride and acknowledge you were wrong.

Repeat after me: “Maximus, I was wrong about you, please forgive me for being such a arrogant jerk”..

See? Don’t you feel better now? It’s healing.

MaximusConfessor on July 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

See? Don’t you feel better now? It’s healing.

MaximusConfessor on July 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Did you offer him a beer, too? :)

ricer1 on July 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Alexandria police chief faces DUI charge
Breathalyzer test reported at .19

At first, when I saw the headline and link I was shocked. Cops often get “professional courtesy” on traffic stops, and a ride home if they are DUI. The only time cops get arrested for DUI is when their brothers in blue can’t cover it up.

Sure enough:

Alexandria City Manager James K. Hartmann imposed the immediate sanction on Chief Baker pending an internal investigation of the arrest in a late-night two-car crash Saturday in Arlington that sent both drivers to the hospital.

rokemronnie on July 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Make sure to read the account of the “beer summit” from Henry Gates’ daughter (on the Daily Beast, currently linked in the Headlines on Hot Air).

Seems Elizabeth Gates is a race-baiter just like her father.

diditagain on July 31, 2009 at 1:09 PM

White house admits it was a gimmick.

The White House said in advance that the moment would no doubt be “poignant,” a sure sign everything was being managed to achieve poignancy.

“Sure it’s a gimmick,” said damage-control specialist Eric Dezenhall, “but Obama’s gift is making gimmicks look visionary.

In fact, the whole post-racial routine is a gimmick,” he went on. Dezenhall compared it to the “Mission Accomplished” banner that symbolized a premature Iraq war victory celebration for President George W. Bush.

“Only it works better, largely because people want it to work; they like the whole theater of healing.”

artchick on July 31, 2009 at 1:24 PM

How the White House Beer summit should have turned out.

Rightwingguy on July 31, 2009 at 2:18 PM

This is all going to die a long, slow, painful death. Stoked by idiots like pundits Elizabeth Gates who just can’t shut the hell up.

ultracon on July 31, 2009 at 2:46 PM

BTW, anyone know if a parady of “Mr. Crowly” has been done about the cop?

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 31, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I vote for the guy who did “Obama in Mom Jeans.”

UltimateBob on July 31, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Q. How did Crowley and Gates travel to Washington?

diogenes on July 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I just have one question? Bud Light? Seriously??? Ok, so that’s two questions…

CarolinaGirl6 on July 31, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Perhaps I’m the only one here who thinks this “beer summit” was a good thing?

In my opinion, both Officer Crowley and Professor Gates’ comments were well said and positive. Even if this was purely an opportunistic happening, I’d rather some forward-thinking gesture be done than ignoring the whole situation.

EarthToZoey on July 31, 2009 at 4:08 PM

MaximusConfessor on July 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

That would require me to be wrong about you, which I’m not. Several other people have also made the discovery on their own. Keep it up. Eventually, a Buchanan thread will be the end of you.

MadisonConservative on July 31, 2009 at 4:36 PM

It is amazing how Crowley makes Obama look like a lightweight. He is a real human being.

tomas on July 31, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Biden: I tell ya, guys, we need to go to Ukraine. The babes are hot!! Hey, you heard this one? Knock-knock.”

Gates: “Who’s there?”

Biden: “Sgt Crowley.”

gary fouse on July 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM

It seems clear to me that Biden was brought in to fill a racial quota so that there would be 2 blacks and 2 whites for the photo-op…

But with Hussein being only half black, it’s still not weighed correctly. They should have invited Halle Berry too.

leftnomore on July 31, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Crowley for President!

leftnomore on July 31, 2009 at 7:52 PM

leftnomore on July 31, 2009 at 7:52 PM

And to confuse the racial calculus even furthter, Gates’ daughter is only half black. Gates’ first wife was white.

Way to keep it authentic, Skip.

guntotinglibertarian on July 31, 2009 at 8:30 PM

We don’t know what the four gentlemen said to each other, but it is my hope that Crowley spoke up for the policemen of America who are so frequently accused of racial profiling every time they have to encounter a black person on the street. I am sure he got a lot of lecture from Gates (and Obama) about the insidiousness of racial profiling. Since he himself teaches the subject at the police academy, I am sure he is well versed on the topic and the past history of arbitrarily harassing blacks (which is what I would define racial profiling as). I have an idea that Sgt Crowley spoke just as frankly to Gates as Gates did to him on the subject of being called a racist every time a white man and black man have a disagreement. It is not fair and it has become very tiresome.

What the teachable moment is that President Obama is talking about I have no idea. Hopefully, he has learned not to jump into an issue in which, by his own admission, he has no personal knowledge, and declare that one side acted stupidly-then have to waste the next several days of his precious time trying to clean up his mess. Any “teachable moment” would have involved taping the conversation, which, in itself, would have destroyed any usefulness.

At this point, I would like to share a story from my youth. When I was 14 years old and growing up in Los Angeles, I was a punk, pure and simple. I thought I was a tough guy and liked to get into fights. One night, I was thrown out of an amusement park for some stupid thing I didn’t do and escorted out by an LAPD cop. He was an older guy probably burned out and counting the days to retirement. He took me into a side room and filled out a card on my (field Identification card). I was angry because I didn’t deserve to get thrown out of the park. Three times I called him a “dirty cop”. The third time, he proceeded to kick my butt. After that, I started listening. In the end, perhaps realizing he had crossed the line, he became friendly let me go since my attitude had dramatically changed. So was he wrong in what he did? Sure. Did I deserve it? You bet.

None of that suggests that Professor Gates should have been roughed up for his verbal tirade. But the point is that my incident had nothing to do with race. The cop was white and so was I. (I still am.) The lesson is when you engage in a dispute-verbally or physically-with the police, only bad things will happen. Gates was out of line and engaged in disorderly conduct. A couple of days after the incident, I caught a snippet of Gates being interviewed by someone in front of an outdoor crowd (I assume it was at Harvard.) I only caught a part, but I heard Gates talk of how this white cop was obviously not prepared for a black man to “get in his face”. (I am paraphrasing, but that is an accurate description of what Gates said.) So, I am now satisfied that Gates, as other witnesses have said, was being verbally abusive and acting in a disorderly manner that would have justified a charge of disorderly conduct. To say that Crowley was engaging in racial profiling is absurd. He was called to the scene of a possible home break-in and acted accordingly. He had no idea who he was going to encounter, and I have heard no witness state that Crowley was being other than professional in his behavior.

Again, teachable moment? Aside from the fact that white and black Americans view race through entirely different lens, which we know, I would like President Obama to tell us what we should learn from this.

gary fouse
DEA-retired
fousesquawk

gary fouse on August 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Yeah but who would think we’d ever see two black guys, and two white guys on the Presidential patio there drinking beer together AND one of the black guys is the President?
That is a positive thing I need to say.

But this photo also says a lot. One is how the Prez is dressed, two is how all of this is going on behind him unbeknowst to him, and it shows the Officers true heart.

johnnyU on August 1, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Narratives about race are as Race hustling is as old as the founding of this great Republic itself when Thomas Jefferson was smeared as having slept with his slaves and minors at that, but these new ones pathetic episodes of identity politicking have unfolded precisely when Americans signaled to the world our country’s great progress folly by overcoming centuries of habit and fear common sense and respect for our Constitution and electing an African American as President.

alliebobbitt on August 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Biden: … Hey, you heard this one? Knock-knock.”

Gates: “Who’s there?”

Biden: “Sgt Crowley.”

gary fouse on July 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM

LMAO! EPIC nail.

RD on August 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM

The Obamas, buy Japanese Wagyu Beef, by the truckload for their friends and serve peanuts to the white police officer. Another insult by the Obamas.

Maybe next time the Obamas go to England, PM Brown will serve some watermelon and Popeye’s fried chicken in a bucket!

Black trash.

luvstotango on August 1, 2009 at 12:46 PM

The video embedded at this link captures the bizarre nature of the beer summit: “Surreal Film of Beer Summit Captures Footage of Bigfoot, UFO, But No Teaching Moment” (scroll down to see the video http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/08/surreal-film-of-beer-summit-captures.html

Mervis Winter on August 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM

That is a positive thing I need to say.

johnnyU on August 1, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Symbolism over substance, huh?
Guess you must have missed the meetings between President Bush, VP Cheney, SecState Colin Powell and Dr. Condi Rice (who is not a guy, but more “diversely” a woman).
Why are we destroying our great republic so morons like you can get all misty-eyed over photo ops?

Jenfidel on August 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Biden was drinking the non-alcholic beer because he had red button duty because Hillary was out of town and couldn’t take that 3 AM phone call. Couldn’t have obama drinking and have red button duty, now could we.

workingforpigs on August 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Obama was the instigator in all of this, don’t they teach that in Union school or is it community organizer school. Instigate a problem, then look like you are the problem solver without doing anything… what a pro.

workingforpigs on August 1, 2009 at 11:21 PM

budorob on July 31, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Probably has far more to do with his brain history than anything else, since Biden’s had an aneurism “repaired” (that is, that’s at least the one having been reported). He’s undoubtedly on medication for a variety of issues related to that, which renders alcohol among his poison pills.

At least, that’s my guess.

Lourdes on August 3, 2009 at 3:21 AM

Joe didn’t have anything else better to do so he thought his position allowed him to crash a party and turn it into a news event for the President.

MSGTAS on August 3, 2009 at 9:54 AM