Cash for clunkers runs out of money … after one week; Update: Feds scramble to save program

posted at 9:56 pm on July 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Unlike pretty much every other Hopenchange economic policy, not only did this one work, it worked better than expected. And yet, I can’t help thinking there’s a lesson in the fact that a centrally planned program budgeted to run through the end of October went bust in, er, seven days. That’s some miscalculation — not unlike the miscalculation that promised unemployment no higher than eight percent once we pinched that $787 billion loaf known as the stimulus. And naturally, the program came buried in so much bureaucracy and paperwork that some dealers gave up on it despite the amazing business it drummed up.

Ah well. I’m sure none of that will happen with national health care.

The program — aimed at giving at boost to the U.S. auto industry — was supposed to expire at the end of October. But in the one week since it took effect, it appears to have run dry of the $1 billion allocated to it, aides said Thursday.

The White House will need to decide whether to push for more money at a time when it’s also pushing an ambitious and expensive domestic agenda — or let the program fade after it was touted as a way to help Detroit while improving the environment.

One Michigan Republican, Congresswoman Candice Miller, has alreayd come out in favor of extending the program, saying in a statement that “There can be no doubt that the Cash for Clunkers program is a complete success given the fact that the entire $1 billion allocated to the program was expended in less than a week.”

She called the program “simply the most stimulative $1 billion the federal government has spent during the entire economic downturn.”

Imagine how stimulative it would be if it wasn’t limited to fuel-efficient cars, per the left’s green agenda, but to any current model. Actually, though, it really isn’t limited: Via the boss, check out Cato’s easy peasy scheme to turn C4C into free money which you can use to buy the clunker or muscle car of your dreams. If they end up extending the program, I’m totally getting that ‘Vette I’ve always wanted. Thanks, Barry!

Update: Looks like I might be getting that ‘Vette after all: “Although key members of Congress were notified by the Secretary of Transportation Thursday that the program would run out of money at midnight, sources said ‘Administration and Congressional officials are working to keep it up and running.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

So the teenager buying his first car, the guy working at McDonald’s who needs basic no frills get me from point A to point B transportation, just got priced out of buying their first car.

angryed on July 31, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Zackly right. My son worked and saved $3500 cash for his first car. It took him 2 months to find anything worthwhile, and he ended up paying 5k for something that bluebooked at 3.5k. Low end used cars are just very hard to find right now, and those that are around are over priced. Thanks Uncle Socialist!

This summer has been a real “education” for both of my sons on the extreme peril of Democrat do-gooderism.

james23 on July 31, 2009 at 10:21 AM

You are aware that this program just started. It only has been in place for 4 days.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:29 AM

OT: was this just a ploy to get Toyota and Honda? Think about it, trading in “American gas guzzlers” for fuel effecient foregin cars? Now these dealers may be out tens of thousands of dollars, possibly forcing some smaller Toyota Honda dealers to close and force buyers into GM cars? Just asking.

You kidding? Toyota has been running non-stop ads on the program. Ditto for Honda.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:31 AM

DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!! This “out of money in week” baloney has a real bad smell to it. It smells like fraud! Call me skeptical but I’M SKEPTICAL!

Show us the books! Count the cars!

ExpressoBold on July 31, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Call your Congress Critters! I smell a boondoggle.

PattyJ on July 31, 2009 at 10:40 AM

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:31 AM

She’s right. Honda still has a CARS program link up on its Honda Cars page. Acura too (hey guys, bring back the RSX!).

DrSteve on July 31, 2009 at 10:43 AM

You guys are off on this one. I was just visiting with a Ford salesman over this past weekend. He said they knew this was going to be a hit and were geared up.

It just was a huge success. But heck, why wouldn’t it be? Ford was offering discounts. Then add on 4500 rebate for your old trashed car (it did have to be yours and run). You could easily find a car that would get 10 miles more to the gallon.

And if you bought on the lower end, that could be a full 1/3 off on the price!

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:45 AM

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I have not seen one ad for either company. On the other hand I see ads from GM and Chrysler/Dodge constantly.

MobileVideoEngineer on July 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM

\

I’m sure they already bought block TV time that can’t be withdrawn now. Hopefully, they’ll find a way to extend this.

It’s got to be a lifesaver for some of the dealers out there.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM

the same smarter minds that brought you the cash for clunkers brilliance will also be in charge of the healthcare for clunkers programg. what could go wrong?

gatorboy on July 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Total screw up.

Perfect showcase for how a government run health care system will be.

albill on July 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM

so if I need a heart transplant, I need to take my current, still running, heart into the ER to change it out for a govn’t issued new heart. Got it.

gatorboy on July 31, 2009 at 10:50 AM

So, we have the government paying money to destroy perfectly serviceable cars in order to pump up the demand for new ones.

This is exactly the same thing as paying farmers to plow under their crops, and does the same damage to the overall economy.

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 10:54 AM

That’s odd. But in any case, Hondas and Toyotas are now made in America.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Total screw up.
Perfect showcase for how a government run health care system will be.
albill on July 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM

You may not need to buy a new car, but can you do without healtcare?

What makes people think that the government won’t massively screw that up?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 10:55 AM

We briefly looked into this program, but unfortunately, it wouldn’t have worked for us. We wanted a vehicle that would fit 6-7 (if we have another kid, we’d need that extra seat), but there was nothing in our price range that also fit the criteria of being more fuel-efficient than my husband’s truck (which gets 23 mpg on average).

I don’t think it’s a horrible program, seeing how it’s the only thing that has worked so far. It does seem a little odd that it ran out of money so quickly – where are people getting the money to buy new cars? Makes me wonder if people don’t really have it that bad, or our family is just that bad off.

Anna on July 31, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 10:54 AM

How does taking money out of the economy and flushing it through a bureaucracy stimulate anything better than the free market?

Can anybody tell when “Central Planning” an economy has ever worked?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Hey! is there a “Cash for new Ponies” program?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Anna on July 31, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Define ‘worked’.
The very purpose of this program is to reduce the total capital of the US by destroying otherwise useful cars. It is the ‘broken window’ fallacy brought to life, and is just one more government subsidized goody handed out to the Global Warming Greenies and the UAW.

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Can anybody tell when “Central Planning” an economy has ever worked?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:04 AM

It has a long and glorious history of successfully making people miserable.

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 11:08 AM

From what I’m seeing, people are paying off credit cards like crazy, saving money, and simply living so much more economically than in the past decade. They do have some cash saved up, and I am guessing this was too good of a deal to pass up.

It’s awfully expensive though, for the government, I mean. It’s too bad more of the stimulus money couldn’t have been for this instead of that stupid bailout for GM.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

It has a long and glorious history of successfully making people miserable.
Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Ahh, yes! But they are all EQUALLY miserable.

[Except for government types and their cronies – they live high on the hog – cause they deserve to, 'ruling' is hard work, don't ya know]

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I guess I define “worked” as actually having a stimulating effect – people are actually buying cars. In my head, I was comparing this to the stimulus itself, which IMO has been a failure.

I’m not too keen on destroying the old cars, but I’ve had the impression that not every car traded in would be worth buying again. My husband’s truck has had 40k miles put on it in the last year, and is well over 100k – and it wasn’t in good condition beforehand. A neighbor up the street traded in an old car that ran, but needed serious body work (more than the car was worth). I know this is not how every sale goes, though, but it has only been a week. There are still old cars for sale.

Anna on July 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

It’s awfully expensive though, for the government, I mean.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Where do you think the government GETS that money?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:20 AM

That’s odd. But in any case, Hondas and Toyotas are now made in America.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Which is precisely why the UAW wants Card Check. Might as well have it all.

a capella on July 31, 2009 at 11:20 AM

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Wake up. You don’t advance prosperity in your nation by destroying its capital. Any justification you think you have for this program in terms of helping the economy is flawed, because it cannot escape that one fact.

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Which is precisely why the UAW wants Card Check. Might as well have it all.

EFCA with card check is dead, thank heavens.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Where do you think the government GETS that money?

(Blank out)

Um…they just have it!

Good Lt on July 31, 2009 at 11:23 AM

My friend who sells Ford said the same thing. He was worried that some real classics would be destroyed. The dealers have no choice. They have to kill the engine.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:23 AM

The dealers have no choice.

One by one by one, the citizens are losing theirs, too. Who’s dictating and eliminating those choices, I wonder?

Good Lt on July 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Anna on July 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

See “fallacy: broken window”.
This is not having a stimulating effect because it can’t. The government is paying people to destroy goods. The value of those used cars should be entered as a negative in GDP, because it is doing the opposite of production.

Count to 10 on July 31, 2009 at 11:27 AM

1 billion dollars for CFC. “rebate” worth between $3500-4500 depending on car. Let’s say it averages out to $4K per vehicle. Simple math says that’s 250,000 cars sold under this program. In one week! I call B.S. Something stinks.

GrandmaP on July 31, 2009 at 9:30 AM

ABC News is reporting 8000 clunkers have been turned in. Assuming the maximum payout of $4500, that totals $36,000,000.

But the program has blown through $1,000,000,000, so where is the other $964 million? If the 8000 clunker figure is correct, and it’s costing nearly $28 to rebate every $1, then anyone who calls this a successful program needs their head examined.

landshark on July 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

This is annoying. She claims the program is successful because the $1 billion got spent in less than a week.

Strike that, it’s not annoying….it’s annoying and dumb!

If I create a program at work and run out of budget 1 week in to a 3 month program, it is not a success. It’s much more likely that they would be on my case for having not planned and budgeted appropriately.

Furthermore, if I spend a lot of money at work, I am not allowed to claim success simply because I spent the money. There has to be proof that there was a return on our investment.

JadeNYU on July 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

It’s awfully expensive though, for the government, I mean.
AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

AnninCA :

Where do you think the government GETS that money?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Anna on July 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Who do you think would make better decisions on where to spend that money?
Faceless bureaucrats that may or may not be paying off political cronies or consumers acting in their own self interest?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:31 AM

This is no surprise. The government would screw up a one car funeral! And people want to turn their health care over to them.

GFW on July 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised to read a similar story in regards to the $8,000 “credit” for first time home buyers.

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

(((shudder)))

You are absolutely right. Why, it’s almost like they are creating another bubble…inflating numbers based on more credit…sigh…

Mommypundit on July 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Hey! is there a “Cash for new Ponies” program?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Cash For Babies and Body Parts

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM
not from tax cheats nor the indigent nor illegal aliens

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 11:34 AM

And if you bought on the lower end, that could be a full 1/3 off on the price!

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Yeah, what a great plan. The feds are subsidizing someone else’s car purchases with my tax dollars, and borrowed ones at that. How wonderful!

Vashta.Nerada on July 31, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I want the stimulus to work, guys. Some of you may not agree.

That’s OK.

But we won’t see the economy really recover unless we see people loosening up the purses just a little. I was NOT in favor of the huge stimulus bill, but I did think we needed a well-executed stimulus plan. I knew the rebate deal Bush did wouldn’t work. It didn’t. I knew the stimulus bill was bad. Way too many stupid projects. No real flow of funds into the economy.

This seems to me to be a single case where the plan worked. Alas, not enough money was seeded?

Anyway, those who don’t want anything to work because you just don’t like the idea of a stimulus plan at all? I hear you. I just disagree.

Government can stimulute the economy if it hits on the right ideas. The GOP administration wasn’t anymore effective than the Dems on this.

Maybe this program shows both parties HOW to stimulate in the future? It seems to me the message is to target specifically, offer a “deal you can’t turn down.”

In short, we all could learn from this one.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:37 AM

JadeNYU on July 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Not always the case. Most departments, especially in government, but not restricted to them, will spend unallocated funds at the end of the fiscal year just to ensure receiving the same amount budgeted in the next years budget. In a lot of manager’s minds, they will be penalized for saving money.

a capella on July 31, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Where do you think the government GETS that money?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM

EXACTLY. I want to scream and pull out my hair when people think ANYTHING the government is doing is somehow “free.” Isn’t that rule number one in dealing with shady businessmen, why we avoid sleezeball car dealerships in the first place, and where the name, “Snake Oil Salesman” comes from? If it SOUNDS too good to be true, it IS.

The government has no money except that which it gleans from the productivity of it’s people. Give people more freebies, it equals more taxes and less incentive for those who ARE paying for the freebies, less income and less money for those freebies…which only makes liberals tax and spend MORE. They fundamentally misunderstand both capitalism and the American system of governance/founding.

Drives. Me. Crazy.

Mommypundit on July 31, 2009 at 11:39 AM

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:37 AM

They won’t do that if they see the government stealing from them and their children to buy votes.

AnninCA, try answering the question:

Where do you think the government GETS that money?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM
non-profit organizations apply for tax-exempt status

Given that Obama would delete the private sector leaving only the non-profit business sector, that would leave personal income tax the sole provider of capital funds for the government that has effectively absorbed all enterprise into its own bureaucracy.

All would work without wages, confiscated as taxes, merely labor for subsistence. That’s slavery. That’s Socialism. And its reach is global.

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Drives. Me. Crazy.
Mommypundit on July 31, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Same here.

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:45 AM

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Government stimuli never work long term, other than creating more government workers. Let capitalism work and get out of the way.

a capella on July 31, 2009 at 11:45 AM

My Sen. Grassley (R)Iowa is doomed too? What the frick?!

Goody2Shoes on July 31, 2009 at 1:00 AM

hey I’m an Iowa also just sayin age wise he qualifys.

We really need to hold his feet to the fire on Healthscare I have written him like six times saying no govt option do not be rolled by the communists or you are gone. he is pretty old though.

Harkin I wtrote him to but fear he is a lost cause because of the liberal mecca of Des Moines and Iowa City

dhunter on July 31, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Mommypundit on July 31, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Everytime the current tv ad shows the broken piñata donkey flowing with an infinite candy supply, I’m repulsed by the subliminal message to viewers.

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I’m probably just more in the middle. I’m not for excess stimulus. I’m also not for no stimulus.

What I criticize is that the bill itself wasn’t really stimulus, except for a few parts, such as this program.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Law of Unintended Consequences (or maybe intended) – A shortage of used cars, a shortage of used auto parts. Our government is so screwed up it is pitiful.

Dasher on July 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Total screw up.
Perfect showcase for how a government run health care system will be.
albill on July 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM

You may not need to buy a new car, but can you do without healtcare?

What makes people think that the government won’t massively screw that up?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 10:55 AM

ObamaCare will give us end-of-life counseling, rationing and cash-for-cripples.

petefrt on July 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

LOL. Little do first time home buyers know, lacking experience, that their $8K “credit” is rolled into their mortgage. Where’s the beef?

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM

The GOP at least ostensibly pays lip service to getting out of the way and letting the private economy STIMULATE ITSELF, as it always does when government gets the hell out of the way. It goes through (and always has) periodic market corrections that don’t last long unless they are exacerbated (which they always are) by government interference, intervention and tampering (see: housing market, stimulus, bailouts, etc.).

Raise the wall of separation between economics and state, please. The private economy, which allocates resources more efficiently and in a much more sustainable fashion that the deficit-spending of the government’s money pit, is responsible for the wealth-generation in this country. Not the other way around.

And AnnainCA, could you PLEASE tell us where government gets the $$$ it uses to “stimulate” the private economy (or in Obama’s case, the government and his own political party)?

Good Lt on July 31, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Look, I don’t want to be rude. The govt gets it from the same place Bush got the money for the Iraq war.

OK?

Let’s be adult.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:52 AM

It’s a government bill that is doing more harm than good because it’s convoluted, inefficient, non-targeted and it’s screwed up completely? With our $$$ being pissed away?

Imagine that.

Good Lt on July 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 11:43 AM

What’s really amazing is that they think it can actually work.
People will stop producing if most of their income is confiscated, then what happens?

It has never worked before, but by some miracle, they think it will work this time.
AnninCA , why do you think it will work THIS time?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Yup, but first they’ll nationalize the home building sector.

petefrt on July 31, 2009 at 11:54 AM

petefrt on July 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM

HR 3200 ObamaCare will fine physicians $2000./day per violation. Ex.: for not sending home a patient requiring hospitalization.

Will physicians be terminated for conducting surgery necessary to sustain a life?

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 11:54 AM

The govt gets it from the same place Bush got the money for the Iraq war.
AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:52 AM

And where is that?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:55 AM

And that is from where? You and me.

The government has a Constitutional obligation to pay for the military and to protect American interests. It does NOT have an obligation to deficit-spend the country into the ground for the next hundred years so that the Democrats can pay off their political interest groups and donors.

But the Iraq War was bankrupting our children forever, remember. Obama has quintupled the size of that bankruptcy, with no end in sight and nothing to show for it.

Is that “more adult?”

Good Lt on July 31, 2009 at 11:57 AM

“Healthscare”
dhunter on July 31, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Ooohh, I’m liking that, very descriptive terminology.

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Sure, and maybe at age 60 they’ll offer you a lump sum cash payoff of your social security and medicare benefits if you pledge to take the suicide pill at age 65.

After all, this age group doesn’t much vote for them anyway, does it? Why not redistribute the benefits to younger voters and aliens?

petefrt on July 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM

What she thinks is nothing. She hopes that somehow she will be “in” on the kill, as indeed she attempts to prove her “value”. But cannibals eventually turn on each other, and she is NOT part of that elite, though she presumes herself so.

She is a traitor to human dignity.

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 12:00 PM

100 cars generated over $200,000 in taxes and fees from ONE dealership! Come on POLITICIANS, you found something that WORKED…. USE 10 BILLION MORE to make this happen
It sounds like the administration will try to do something to get more money for the program.

I agree with you. Good gosh, something actually worked!

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Whoa, wait a minute there socialists I’m already payin someones mortgage because they bought a house they couldn’t afford and I don’t get to know if its’ Pinnochios’ hut brother, his aunt Tootie or that racist college professor caught breakin into his own house and drinkin beer with Pinnochio.

How is it a good idea that I also pay $4500 for them to buy a car they can’t afford.

Besides most of these car sale s are probably to rich folks.

Well maybe I should just buy me a clunker for $50.00 and drive it to the nearest Honda dealer and get me a new car made by somone not gettin bailed out by me and pay for it with cash!
Wait there’s so many people besides me gettin bailed out here with my money that I can’t escaper bailin out anyone but myself!

God#$@% Obama and the Democrate and Rino socialists!

dhunter on July 31, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Okay, I’ll admit it, I was wrong – this program is no good. Economics was never my strong suit anyway.

Anna on July 31, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Is that “more adult?”

Yes, and I agree. I agreed with Paulson and Geithner on the TARP bailout. I felt convinced that we had, indeed, had a global economic stroke. We HAD to act. Criticize later.

I frankly think it worked, too. The markets are fluid again. Money is starting to perculate.

I did NOT agree with the GM bailout. That was wrong. It was against bankruptcy law, it was unnecessary, and it was a payoff to the unions with future money. Wrong. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I did NOT agree with the stimulus bill. It wasn’t a stimulus bill at all. This program is a stimulus program. Look how it worked. The “stimulus bill” was actually a state bailout program. Clearly, all states were going to hit a wall that could have scared the bejeesus out of everyone. The money from the Feds merely softened the ride down. I don’t even disagree theoretically with that. I did NOT see the bill as effective, however, because it merely postponed some logical steps. CA is broke, for example. Well, you think the state legislators have given up their leased hybrids yet? Nope.

More pain to come, in short.

I do agree that the recovery needed to focus on financials first, stimulus next…and we’re probably lucky that most of Obama’s programs were, in fact, nothing but a PR tactic to calm people down. The mortgage bailout? Hasn’t cost us much because nobody qualifies. LOL*

Ditto for the home buyer program.

What I “think” is going on is that we do need some success stories. We’ve gotten it in the financials. Now we need to see it in retail. Then, the economy can gain traction.

Of course, government can’t do the whole lifting job. We still have major issues facing this country in terms of productivity and debt.

But we sure weren’t going to solve that one by sinking into a long drawn-out depression.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Taxpayers are paying for other people`s new cars.

Fewer used cars available for the lower income to buy.
Less business for auto repair shops.

albill on July 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

petefrt on July 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM

More likely, they’ll forge the signature, usurp whatever belongings, and enforce the bloodless execution on the spot. Why wait when the state needs supercede the citizen?

It WAS ridiculous to project such calamity until Obama’s administration usurped power from our Constitutional authority. Ridiculous does not describe the scramble to sign-on Stimulus and HR 3200 and whatever comes next.

Vicious. Insanity.

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Obama turning Virgina deeply red

William Amos on July 30, 2009 at 10:48 PM

dude.

They are going to have to deploy ACORN, stat.

Mommypundit on July 31, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I agreed with Paulson and Geithner on the TARP bailout. I felt

Stick with mathematics, and follow the money, and admit your Fraud.

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 12:12 PM

She is a traitor to human dignity.
maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Agreed.
I don’t expect her actually answer anything truthfully, or to actually “understand” the points being made.
My intent is to get others to start thinking about these issues..

Okay, and maybe have a little fun with her.

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 12:13 PM

That could be hard. You would need a psychologist who also is a proctologist. The two specialties are hard to find in one doc. I guess they could team up, though. Obama talks to Biden, so there must be a way.

Harry Schell on July 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Let’s be adult.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 11:52 AM

wow.

Hey, since you are wondering where GW got the money for the Iraq war, and we have no qualms saying war funds come from the people, could you, as maturely and adult-like as possible, tell me 1) what the role of the (philosophical)state is, and 2) what the role of the government of the United States of America is as prescribed by our founders. Thanks!

Mommypundit on July 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Anna on July 31, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I just think it’s better to favor free-market solutions rather than what could be politically motivated programs.

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Agreed.
My intent is to get others to start thinking about these issues..

You sound just like the progressives on the Huffington Post blog. They love to say the same thing. You’re lying.

I think people have lost the ability to discern when they are speaking about their opinions versus facts!

Everything I post here is my opinion, based on my reading of the facts.

But I definitely am not one to think I’m “right” about everything. I have been astoundingly wrong more times in life than imaginable. I learned.

I suspect some of you haven’t learned that FACT of life. *haha

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM

He mortgaged the future to pay for the war and gave tax cuts. First time in history, too.

Had the economy continued to boom, he’d have gotten by with it.

As it is? He’s not one whit different than Obama. He did NOT pay for the war. He sold debt.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Anna on July 31, 2009 at 12:06 PM

It isn’t your fault that Obama wants to play us. You’re level headed to see through his manipulations. It motivates everyone with sense being at the brunt of his abuse.

His numbers are falling because everyone is finding out what they just didn’t want to think possible, some faster than others. The only ones promoting Obama are on his take (AnninCA), the take he’s taking from us all without providing the public service promised/contracted. They too will find themselves cut off Obamamama’s dry teet.

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM

That would be the smart thing to do, it’s rational. My desire for a larger vehicle has honestly been clouding my judgment – my husband’s truck is worth more under this program than it is otherwise. :) I know I’m bad.

Anna on July 31, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I’ve been trying to buy a Toyota Tacoma pickup since July 6th. Although the program was supposed to start on July 1st, the feds didn’t send out the information to the dealers until the 24th. So I waited. I went back to the dealer on the 24th with money in hand and the only Toyota model 7103 on his lot had been sold. He’s been looking for another one, but *there are none to be had* in the entire Southeast region.

Apparently, the 22MPG Tacoma is one of the few pickups made that qualifies for the full $4,500 rebate, so there’s been a run on them.

Oh, and in talking with the dealer, I can tell you why the C.A.R.S. site says they’ve still got $779 million left. The dealer told me just now that they’ve sold hundreds of vehicles under the Cash for Clunkers program over the last week, but they’ve been unable to fill out the ‘paperwork’ on 80% of them because the NHTSA website is always down.

I can’t wait until these bureaucrats are in charge of my health. /sarc

snopercod on July 31, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Her word for the day, “liar”, tells her story.

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 12:25 PM

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:06 PM

So you have changed you mind on the future role of the government in the economy?

When has the government ever done that?

Private citizens working in their own self-interest will lift the economy out of this mess, as it has every other time.

That can still happen – and that will be because of the government, not in spite of it.

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM

You are now supporting MY argument. I think the polls are falling because people are, indeed, seeing problems. I do not think people are stupid.

I think they are right about public option, too. It’s time.

They are NOT stupid.

BTW, I never supported Obama. I try to look at each program separately. Then I see patterns, but not always.

I supported a lot about Bush’s administration. I did NOT support a lot, too.

It’s a mixed bag, with any politician. I love reading history, and the reason is because each one of them has done some things absolutely brilliantly and other things? Amazingly short-sighted.

Democracy is messy. And even public opinion (although we’re not stupid) can be completely short-sighted when emotionalism takes over. (Iraq war?)

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM

We’ll learn. I’m convinced. I am certain that Paulson and Geithner took the right action. We may all hate it and curse, but it prevented a real collapse.

I’m convinced the stimulus bill is wishful thinking.

But we may learn what does and doesn’t work.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM

We were absolutely going to do this. We have a 1998 Ford Explorer that is breaking down frequently and expensive to maintain. We were all set, had a pre-approved loan from our credit union and our eyes on a clean diesel vehicle.

Because hey, this is likely the only benefit we would see out of any of the massive spendathon waste going on.

Then we discovered that our car insurance lapsed for a brief period last year when we forgot to timely renew it. And so are disqualified under the terms of the legislation.

The program caused a lot of interest in my neighborhood/work where we have a lot of savvy and informed middle/upper-middle class type consumers. Like us they hold on to their vehicles and use them up. So it seems to be a case of ‘Fortune’ favoring the prepared and informed, as it most always does.

perries on July 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Liar is the same term used on the progressive blogs. They view their perspective as “written in stone,” too.

They love to call people liars.

I’m telling you guys, you’re not that far apart! LOL*

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Oh lordy, how stupid.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Maybe they’ll do a cash for F-22 clunkers?

Be a good way to keep those people employed.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 31, 2009 at 12:33 PM

See, in my opinion, we need to all stop worrying about whether our legislator votes for Sotoymayor or whatever the big hot issue is and focus, instead, on which idiot introduced this into the program.

THOSE are the ones to not revote into office. They are idiots.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Where does the spending end? A $1 billion program runs out after 3 days? So we double the spending to $2 billion. Logically, it runs out after 6 days, not in November. Are we going to give it 4 billion next week? The government’s job is not to pick winners and losers.

schmitty on July 31, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Tax Rebates work!

Tax Rebates stimulate the economy!

Repeal the Stimulus and use the money for Tax Rebates on Fridge, Ovens, TV’s, AC Units…

TN Mom on July 31, 2009 at 12:36 PM

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Personal insults aren’t necessary – we’re trying to be “More Adult” right?
What am I lying about anyways?
That I don’t expect you to answer anything truthfully?
Or to actually “understand” the points being made.?
What do you define as a “ progressive” anyways?

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM

AnninCA , why do you think it will work THIS time?

We’re still waiting through your serendipitous responses.

BTW, I never supported Obama.

In line with Hillary’s willing suspension of disbelief, that’s pathetic.

You support Obama’s agenda (below) to the point of agitating in his defense contrary to recorded facts.

*abortion, unconstitutional fascist federal powers (Treasury, et.al.), Stimulus, bail-outs, gov’t usurping private enterprise via mandates, HR 3200 ObamaCare, etc.

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 12:40 PM

So this program is going to cost more than we were told? I’m shocked!!!

Ok, so the purpose was to help out the US automakers. If its out of money now, that means the jobs done. The automakers have been helped by the full amount needed. Whey do we need to help them with even more money?

taznar on July 31, 2009 at 12:45 PM

They love to call people liars.

I’m telling you guys, you’re not that far apart! LOL*

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM

AnninCA is calling everyone a liar and tells us we are just like HuffingtonPost, dragging her trash into HotAir and complaining at her own mess.

*Snap at yourself and pick up your own turds.

maverick muse on July 31, 2009 at 12:47 PM

AnninCA , just in case you’re wondering, if you’re just going to answer one question:
“What do you define as a “ progressive” anyways?”
Would be my personal favorite.

Chainsaw56 on July 31, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Hey, I’ve shared what I agree and disagree with.

I also poked at you all. You are using the same argumentative tactics as I encounter on the Huffington Post.

Same exact lines. I’d think about that one.

By the way, high hopes, if you didn’t say I was lying, mea culpa. That was my point.

I think Bush did some stuff really right. For example, I was 100% in favor of the surge. And he proved that right, too.

I also don’t think Obama has messed up everything. I really agreed with his appointment of Gates and the tackling of the defense budget. I’m not at all comfortable with Afganastan. But we’ll see.

I think everyone who is so ardently partisan must just be different in personality from me, anyway. None of them are so different, and neither ideology has led to Great Things, in spite of their PR teams.

Americans, in my opinion, are commonsense. We may get derailed politically, such as after 9/11, but not for long.

We won’t be derailed by the meltdown, either. My friends, anyway, were all sort of buckled up for the long-term. I have lots of friends who took that early retirement and are now joking in good spirits about practicing their, “Welcome to Wallmart” line, since their retirement portfolios have evaporated.

I think Americans are neat people. I like Palin because she agrees. I like a lot of conservatives because they see that. I don’t like the progressives because they are as dour as some right-wingers who thing everything is “just plain awful.”

If there’s any real disagreement? I suspect it’s in attitude.

I like us.

AnninCA on July 31, 2009 at 12:51 PM

“What do you define as a “ progressive” anyways?”
Would be my personal favorite.

After musing about this for 2 years, here’s my best answer.

They are teenagers eating Cheetos with laptops. :)

LOL*