Video: Paul Ryan torches ObamaCare on MSNBC

posted at 9:03 pm on July 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

Nothing here you haven’t heard before but it’s so rare these days to stumble across an engaging, concise, confident presentation on economic issues by a top Republican that he deserves some extra publicity for it. Yeah, he voted for TARP, and yeah, he voted for that awful confiscatory tax on the AIG bonuses, but he’s made to order as a message man: Young, comfortable talking about the economy, and not from the south. More TV time, please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What a delicious beatdown. It was polite, intelligent and such a marvelous contrast to thet Vanden Heuvel shrew. Good job Rep Ryan. I’ve been to Janesville and it may be lefty, but glad to see some sanity coming out of there.

Renwaa on July 30, 2009 at 6:59 AM</blockquote

Playgrounds for America’s rich: Martha’s Vineyard, The Hamptons,Beverly Hills & Janesville

Jeff from WI on July 30, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Nothing makes me happier than being in NYC..

I’m a Southern Belle with a Big City girl heart??

TN Mom on July 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM

OMG, I forgot..

Except College Football!!!!!

TN Mom on July 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Whaddya talkin’ about? We got your college football. The Brooklyn College Kingsmen are way up there – in division 27.

J.J. Sefton on July 30, 2009 at 7:26 AM

“Don’t try to sell a govt takeover of healthcare using free market rhetoric.” Did you hear how dishonest that anchorette is? She’s really drinking the Obama kooliade. Since when is it OK for “news” anchors to a. Endorse legislation, and b. blatantly spin the facts for it? She sounded like an administration OPERATIVE.

marklmail on July 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Perhaps the latter is the cause of the former, y’all. Damn Yankee Republicans (“We like big government, just not as big as the Democrats”).

Kafir on July 30, 2009 at 7:48 AM

I would comment on this, but I’m from the South…

telemwill on July 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM

……God, I hate that bitch!

try again later on July 30, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Love how he called that liberal bint / editor of The Nation out for her phony and transparent attempt to pretend she was being a “capitalist” – and then shut her up completely when she was wrong on the facts.

You can tell when a collectivist is really desperate when they have to use the language of capitalism (unconvincingly, if you noticed) to sell collectivism. Of course, the five people watching MSNBC were probably cheering her on and were no doubt confused when she suddenly stopped talking.

Too clever by half, Katrina. You started out by lying, and instead you got educated.

MOAR PLEAZ.

Good Lt on July 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I guess I’ll have to defend Ryan. He represents an area that’s biggest employer was GM, and it’s a stones throw from the most hideous liberal hell you could imagine, Madison.
If you’ve seen the guy in here, MadisonConservative you have no idea how strange those two word together are. It’s like calling someone a morbidly obese anorexic. There’s NOTHING Conservative around there. Picture the SF Berkeley area of liberal morons, now keep the same amount of liberal stupidity but shrink the area down to between a fifth to a tenth the size, now you have Madison. Ryan is bucking an awfully big trend by being a conservative.

Jeff from WI on July 30, 2009 at 8:20 AM

marklmail on July 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM
——
The Obama administration has hired other journos. Give it time.

Mew

acat on July 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Lay off the Southern cracks chief. Come visit us in Texas and you will have your mouth washed out with soap at the least. It might also be nice for you to see a state that tries to live up to the Constitution.

ReaganConservative3 on July 30, 2009 at 8:26 AM

To be honest, I have not always been the biggest fan of Rep. Ryan, but I am today. Way to own those fools.

SRL23 on July 30, 2009 at 8:40 AM

MOAR PLEAZ.

Good Lt on July 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Absolutely. duh duh duh duh. She was SO proud of her Obama spin, only to be crushed and called out for lying. LMAO

marklmail on July 30, 2009 at 8:40 AM

You have to love Paul Ryan trying to contain laughter at Katherine’s comments around 4:40. I wouldn’t have that much patience.

bobnifty on July 30, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Here’s what I can’t believe. How such good and educated people (like Katrina in the video), actually believe that the government will increase competition!

I might increase competition in the extreme short term as private insurers try in vein to minimize their profits and keep up with the government’s not for profit (likely revenue losing) machine. But after that initial period (which the dems will hail as success), most of the private insurers will go out of business.

How is this not clear to these “intelligent” people?

The funny thing is that these are probably the same folks that refuse to shop at Walmart because it kill Main St.

NickelAndDime on July 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Rep. Ryan, stock up. Now if only he’d know what he’s voting on before he voted.

hawksruleva on July 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM

marklmail on July 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM

You can see the anger and hate on her face. It’s quite disturbing, and to me it just means that she won’t listen to any facts, any debate, she’s made up her educated LITTLE mind. Koolaid.

NickelAndDime on July 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Paul Ryan to Katrina- “Let’s not try and sell a government run plan using free market rhetoric.” Well done.

Say it slowly Paul, so that Miss-Jumping-to-Conclusions-Based-on-False-Premises-Katrina can understand.

Hey, Katrina, listen carefully – Federal Employees do NOT have a public option, you big dope. We choose from a host of private plans.

CarolynM on July 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM

My God that neo Stalinist Katrina vanden Heuvel has a gig on MNSNBC? Actually she will fit in well there.

Hilts on July 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Yes, let’s not challenge healthcare to competition. Heaven knows, that would be dumb. Right?

AnninCA on July 30, 2009 at 9:19 AM

One of my least favorite things to hear from a conservative “but I’ll concede the point”.

But he does a great job of NOT conceding the point when they start talking about the plan that Congress uses.

hawksruleva on July 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM

The grass is always greener. I’m ready to move south right now. I’m tired of the 15 foot pile of snow in front of my house, the 8 month winter, 25 below zero, high taxes.

Jeff from WI on July 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM
I want to move to NC and take it back from the libs who have made it a blue state.

Hilts on July 30, 2009 at 9:23 AM

AnninCA on July 30, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Competition is fine. Government interference is not. Whenever the government “competes” it puts its thumb on the scales. For example: I buy a mailbox, and install it on my private property, but UPS can’t deliver to it. Only the USPS can.

hawksruleva on July 30, 2009 at 9:23 AM

What does being from “the South” have to do with anything?

SarahW on July 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Wow, he wasted both anchors. Nicely done.

RightWinged on July 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM

this guy needs to be out there more!

sarainitaly on July 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

SarahW,

I was wondering the same thing.

That really is pretty insulting to southerners Allah.

Geeze.

Rightwingsparkle on July 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

…come to Wisconsin we’d be happy to have ya… over for a beer… /racist

RalphyBoy on July 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Katrina vanden Heuvel: I’ve never seen her that wasn’t an over-the-top aggressive liberal socialist agenda defender. She shows up on the Stephanopoulos Sunday partisan sandbox frequently along with many other authoritarian elitist luminaries (Robert Reich, Donna Brazile, John Kerry etc.). She is never willing to listen and always has an attitude that someone has personally attacked her when she responds to conservative ideas. She is a complete and total tool in the Rachel Maddow/Susan Roesgen/Jennifer Loven mold.

I hope to God these people are not prepared for the smack-down coming their way, eventually. It’s gonna be so sweet!

ExpressoBold on July 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

It’s South, the region. Or it’s “not from the south…” …of Chicago (for example), the direction or descriptor.

And the sad thing is I’m the one who went to public school in the South.

Beagle on July 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Hitler offered Poland the “German Option” by Katrina’s logic.

“Unamerican” — How did Ryan let that one slip by?

I’ve never seen the Big Lie or the personalize-and-demonize strategies employed with more purity.

Beagle on July 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I need to hear his messages on those two items

Then, I could put it all together and see where he is coming from

entagor on July 30, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I’ve always admired Katrina vanden Heuvel, so I found the disingenuousness of her last remark extremely disappointing.

DarkKnight3565 on July 29, 2009 at 10:23 PM

The word, “admire” and “Katrina vanden Heuvel” in the same sentence, is pretty stunning in itself!

She didn’t disappoint me…she’s right on point and consistent…the usual elite asshat, like Garafalo, Dowd and Pelosi. Too bad we can’t banish them to Janesville, to show them, all their silly ideas suck the souls out, of the people they pretend to care about.

I just love how these bitches, react to a real woman, Sarah Palin.

Jeff, “Don’t Blink” was very heartwarming and true.
You’re a lucky man.
Our country is lucky to have men like you.

luvstotango on July 30, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Just read Katrina’s bio. Got to where she is because of white privilege I see.

Harpoon on July 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I think Ryan is doing a good job redeeming himself, note I said redeeming… as in not done yet.

HotAirExpert on July 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Paul Ryan 2012?

Cr4sh Dummy on July 30, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Democrats are actually against private companies making profits and they take offense to being called socialists?

Scrappy on July 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Typical liberal dishonesty and disingenuousness from Katrina, and her smug hostility towards Ryan is so obvious. No wonder Levin refers to MSNBC as MSLSD – they’re on a trip of over-inflated self-importance.

infidel4life on July 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Wouldn’t it be funny if FOX would play that clip….and THEN announce the Cable News ratings for July!!!!

JetBlast on July 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Good Lt on July 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I’d be surprised if she was educated by the encounter – but she sure got schooled!

Blacksmith on July 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Ryan did a very nice and credible job.

However, the bias of the two interviewers shows why MSNBC’s viewership (and credibility) is vanishingly small.

GE and NBC must be losing lots of money on MSNBC – why they continue this sadistic “clown show” is not logical.

Dr. Bob on July 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Very good interview, thanks for posting.

mperek on July 30, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Paul Ryan 2012?

He does a great job here. Economics is his strong suit. He understands it and can explain it. He’s no leader though. The failed GOP leaders were ripe for toppling but Ryan refused the call to step up. He fell in line with the old guard and does their bidding.

He’s more conservative than Romney but I’m not sure he’s anymore steadfast in his principles.

rcl on July 31, 2009 at 11:14 AM