Poll: Americans want lower deficits without higher taxes or reduced services

posted at 5:56 pm on July 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

The bad news? It’s precisely this cake-and-eat-it fickleness that’s led Congress to put off dealing with Medicare and Social Security. The good news? ObamaCare’s a magical mystery miracle program that’s somehow going to achieve all three of these things simultaneously. Through Hopenchange all feats are possible, my friends.

The saddest realization is that the stupidity is bipartisan. Note the Republican numbers on services and the Democratic numbers on taxes.

While you mull, enjoy the new ad from the DNC blaming Republicans for not “fixing” the economy by supporting a bill that helped quadruple the deficit this year while doing jack to halt growing unemployment. Luckily, it’s all Bush’s fault. All of it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Holy hell if we can beat the dirty krauts and filthy kamakazies, we can beat these freaking leftists that want to rape the nation.

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM

I admire your spirit. But it has often been observed that great civilizations do not fall to the enemy outside…they fall, as we have, to the enemy within.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:37 PM

you know
the japanese

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

they fall, as we have, to the enemy within.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Cicero made that one clear!

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I just need to get the hell out before Ogabe and his thugs start seizing liquid assets.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Need an accountant? I’m nowhere near retirement age and can’t afford to get out. Just hoping that somehow I’ll befriend some fabulously wealthy client who will then provide enough money for me to get out with them in Honduras and hide all their money.

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I cannot live anywhere without air-conditioning. I am not the roughin it type.

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

The island of Roatan off of the coast of Honduras and governed by the Honduras is beautiful and the diving is World Class. Fresh seafood doesn’t hurt either.

thomasaur on July 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Have you been there lately? I was there in March, the people are suffering and the beggers were unrelenting.

Sad.

I’m heading to Costa Rica.

Knucklehead on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage.
Romeo13 on July 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I wouldn’t make a very good subject.

I’ll move to wherever the holdouts are and join them.

Bishop on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM

An external infection is much easier to treat that an internal infection, not impossible, but tougher.

thomasaur on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Cicero made that one clear!

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM

And look what happened to him.

Cicero43 on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

You just can’t mix the two. It was a greater attempt than any before them, but ultimately a republic will fall, adding in this democratic element merely hastened it.

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM

You need both the solid law of a republic and democracy to make a government last. Just because we haven’t done a good job keeping ours doesn’t mean one can’t be kept.

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

thomasaur on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

True, but do you believe there’s a point at which it becomes impossible?

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM

And look what happened to him.

Cicero43 on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

hey when did you come back from the dead?!

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Your going to need someone to take care of your computer systems :) Ill bite the bullet and volunteer to go :P

Wolftech on July 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Sad.

I’m heading to Costa Rica.

Knucklehead on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Well, Zalaya was experimenting with socialism before he got himself kicked out…

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

You may have a point but I still disagree. A genuine republic is still my best bet.

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM

How about we just keep Texas and throw all the liberals, moochers, and illegals out?

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I believe in the American spirit, and it isn’t even CLOSE to being done yet.

Our backs aren’t even against the wall that hard yet.

Our founders were on the run from the British.

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Wolftech on July 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Alas, I think what I really will need are people skilled in organic farming and animal husbandry. And maybe a good captain for my boat.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Wolftech on July 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

You know, I do wonder why some fabulously wealthy conservative like Ross Perot (who was probably close to insane) doesn’t just try to finance something like this. If I had billions of dollars, it’s what I would do.

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM

If a republic can eventually fall, does it stand to reason that it could then rise up again; who says how long the fall has to be?

There may come a time when a coalition of states tells the feds to pound sand, and invites people willing to work for their keep to join up in a place of low taxes and high freedoms. What would the Feds do?

Bishop on July 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Wolftech on July 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Ya’ll obviously would need an administrative assistant to manage everything for you.

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Achievers like ourselves can make anything happen given the correct incentive.

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM

You may not be aware, but there is a luxury condo cruise ship that sails endlessly around the globe. Not sure where it’s registered…

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

one of these days, as 9/12 approaches, send me some contact info and perhaps we can organize some HA thing.

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Hey, one on my many talents, we raise horses.

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Bishop on July 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM

It doesn’t make sense viewing history. What you’re talking about would be a rise of a new republic, which is basically what has to occur. But no, republics in history fall and go for a long time before being re established.

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM

You’re going to need a mechanic and welder; I have references.

I also have more guns than the Bolivian Army, if that helps.

Bishop on July 29, 2009 at 6:47 PM

you know
the japanese

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

But I also know enough Nihongo (Japanese) to correct your spelling of kamikaze.

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:47 PM

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

How do I do that without some freak like Benny getting it? I am not the most computer savvy person out there.

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

This discussion brings back to mind my thought that HA should have a separate chat room with a topic like “hey let’s get the hell out of dodge”

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Hey, one on my many talents, we raise horses.

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I was thinking of cattle, pigs and poultry. Leave the horses to the French.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

One thing for sure is that Obama has put this nation into a state of pessimism. The liberals are worried they won’t get everthing he promised and we are afraid they will get everything he promised.

fourdeucer on July 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM

We broke the mold once, we can do it again.

I have faith in my fellow patriots who won’t back down when the time comes to confront the human trash infecting this land.

Buck up, little camper, if anyone can do it, Americans can.

Bishop on July 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Isn’t that a data set composed of one point?

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I also have more guns than the Bolivian Army, if that helps.

Bishop on July 29, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Good call. I figure that buying gold is great for normal periods of investment, but guns are necessary too, because when it hits the fan, who’s going to take a bar of gold as payment? Pay people in bullets, or tell them to take the gold since you have the gun.

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:47 PM

glad there’s someone out there to maintain watchful eye.

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I was watching Blackhawk Down the other day and I was thinking, Jesus, is this what it’s going to look like here some day soon?

And if so, will I be on the ground or up on the rooftops?

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I was thinking of cattle, pigs and poultry. Leave the horses to the French.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Oh, I am more the make a pet and love on it type. I try not to eat any animal that I know personally.

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

go to my page and comment on anything. it doesn’t automatically appear on the page. i will be able to see it in my account, and just delete the comment. no one shall ever see
or i can just post my email here — i have no problem with that

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

glad there’s someone out there to maintain watchful eye.

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Sorry. Bored at the moment.

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Isn’t that a data set composed of one point?

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

No, there’s republican theory from Plato up till America, there were several Venetian republics as well, though shortlived.

John_Locke on July 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Sorry. Bored at the moment.

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

it’s all good

japanese is much harder than arabic so you have my kudos

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I try not to eat any animal that I know personally.
TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Convince yourself that animals are liberal; you’ll be chasing piggy around with a butcher knife that very day.

Bishop on July 29, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Seriously, folks, what can we do when half the country is composed of mindless parasites and the other half is composed of nice, kind, individuals, most of whom would never dream of picking up the gun until it’s far, far too late?

At that point, a right-wing military junta sounds nice. Until you consider human nature.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:55 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Obama in his pajamas on the south side of the Rio Grande sounds swell.

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I just booked a flight to Belize City.

Strictly exploratory, of course.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I was raised on a farm and I have piloted a 40 footer on open seas. I also have a Private Pilot Certificate with IR. Do I qualify for the GTL exodus :)

Wolftech on July 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Bishop on July 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Thats actualy about the best case scenario I can see.

Both parties in Washington are too corrupt, and the system is too entrenched to change IMO…. change must come from outside the beltway.

But the trigger is going to be when the Fed can no longer float bonds, to sustain their spending… thats when the system fails and States will step in to fix things on a smaller scale… by enforcing the Constitutional limits on the Federal Government.

Speaking of which, anyone know how the HUGE Bond auction is going this week? The one from the fed?

Romeo13 on July 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Wolftech on July 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Looking better all the time buddy.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM

The first of many to come over sized Treasury auctions is running into hard going trying to sell all that paper.

This is not going to be pretty.

CommentGuy on July 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM

This is not going to be pretty.

CommentGuy on July 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I’m astonished that foreign investors continue to buy this crap. And I’m pissed off that they do, because until the yield on treasuries starts to skyrocket, my gold and silver continues to under-perform.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Dumb all over… a little ugly on the side…

Man, I miss Frank!

VekTor on July 29, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Wolftech on July 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Looking better all the time buddy.

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM

i can open clams, oysters, and crack lobsters like no ones business

so i can be chef

blatantblue on July 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM

q34 Do you believe that the federal budget deficit can be reduced without increasing taxs or reducing services?

You have to ask the right questions.

JusDreamin on July 29, 2009 at 7:05 PM

In addition to those, I want Megan Kelly.

bayview on July 29, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Obama owes Lucia Whalen an apology as well.

TXMomof3 on July 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM

In other words, they expect government to be run like a private enterprise.

Sounds like a plan to me.

ezye on July 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Bishop on July 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Where do I sign up? ! will gladly work at chasing the resident Liberals out and keepin em out as long as my ammo and eyesight remain. I love shootin varmints!

dhunter on July 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Sorry for off topic but please linky to a good place to buy gold.
My safe is stuffed full of guns and cash. Is it best to take possession or hold paper. I suppose take possession.
I’m thinkin I need a new safe probably don’t have room now for my newfriend: http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/guns/rifles/2009/07/rifle-test-2009?photo=6#1001315198

dhunter on July 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

All is not lost the way I read it 51 to 45% of republicans will take at least some reduction of services to reduce costs.

I would be in the ‘some but not others’ category as I don’t think cutting military funding is a good idea. The others I’d have no problem if they were cut. Hardly the position you indicate in the title.

clement on July 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM

It is thought by many that the people of China are forbidden by the CCP to leave the country to visit other countries. The reality is that they are all free to leave but they must put up a sum of money that the greater majority cannot afford. However, those who do have the money can leave. They get their money back when they return to China and forfeit it if they do not return. I think something along this order rather than closed borders or the actual freezing of assets will be the Obama plan.

genso on July 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Hmmmm… well… I’m kind of a Jack of all trades… but a Master of Electronics…

Worked on everything from Radios, to Radars, to SatComs, to alarmsystems, to many different types of computers (IT guy now, security, hardware… MCSE/CNE), including many years of component level troubleshooting….

Butttt… I’ve helped build houses… fixed cars… worked on generators… painted entire ships.. can drive a forklift… and a Big Rig…

Oh, and had a bit or training with Guns… and small unit tactics…

Small Boats? not so much, but I was in charge of Most of the Electronics on a Destroyer… LOL…

Romeo13 on July 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I don’t think the American people wanting a reduced deficit without higher taxes or reduced services is “cake-and-eat-it fickleness” at all. Why should we have to face higher taxes or reduced services for a reduced deficit? It is not as though we don’t pay enough in taxes or have too many services. The deficit isn’t because we get too much from the government and don’t pay enough for it. We are in deficit because the government wastes our money. We have a Congress whose sole purpose is to add earmarks and pork to thousand page bills that they wouldn’t otherwise read. Billions of dollars in pork and earmarks, every year. We have a Congress with no sense of fiduciary responsibility. How much more in taxes should we pay for “green golf carts” or to research why pig poop smells? How many services should we be willing to do without to pay for a billion dollar check to Hamas? Why am I ranting? Eh…struck a nerve, I guess.

DarkKnight3565 on July 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I refuse to watch that ad.

As for it being Bush’s fault…what exactly were the Democrats doing the last two years of Bush’s term? They were running Congress..what did they want to do that he would not let them do? What bright idea did Pelosi have to spare us all of this?

Terrye on July 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

This poll was designed to get these answers and I don’t blame the reps, dems or indies for those answers.

I blame the newsies with the agenda.

cozmo on July 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Good post. The poll asks the questions serially, so the person being polled just answers them as if they were all separate and can’t weigh one possibility against another because he/she doesn’t know what the next question is.

Also appreciate others’ comments about the inclusion of defense. I’m not going to agree to cut that but I’d agree to cut other things. Whereas a Dem would probably want to cut defense and not social services, and might not mind paying more taxes. Hence the conflicting results.

Lastly, there is a huge difference between the deficit we faced in July 2008 and the one we face today. Republicans are going to react strongly to that early question regarding stimulating the economy (which brings Porkulus to mind) and reducing deficits, knowing the size of hole that BHO is digging for us and our children to fall into.

Missy on July 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM

My microbiology and chemistry background is helping out with my organic garden. Could I come along. I even have my own weapons and ammo so wouldn’t have to borrow from Bishop.

chemman on July 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Terrye on July 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Walter Williams had a good Article over on Town Hall about who controls the purse strings. Far too many Americans are uneducated about the Constitution. What is worse is that most states require teachers to have a US Constitution class and they are the most ignorant about it.

chemman on July 29, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Anyone contemplating emigrating to another country should think about changing their user name to “quisling”,”coward”,”surrender monkey” something or other,and get your sorry butts out of here.I’d be willing to bet everything I own that you guys couldn’t muster a CIB between the lot of you.

McBride on July 29, 2009 at 8:13 PM

This:

guntotinglibertarian on July 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I cannot stress enough that the level of volatility we are experiencing during this financial crisis is … more akin to the collapse of Rome.”
Martin Armstrong

Rae on July 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM

This is not really a “have cake & eat it too issue”.

Why don’t they ever ask “in order to reduce the deficit, would you be willing or not willing to cut spending on a.) environmental research, b.) Planned Parenthood, c.) public libraries/monuments to current political “leaders”, d.) Jack Murtha’s personal, luxury airport, e.) ACORN, f.) Continued housing subsidies for Katrina victims g.) public assistance for illegal aliens h.) dining hall subsidies for congress, i.) congressional salaries…..and so on. I’m pretty sure those same people that want lower taxes AND reduced deficits are not really so fickle. It’s just that no one is asks what they WOULD like to see cut…instead, they give them all the options that would be un-P.C. to say they’d like it to be cut….and hence, they get the answers they want.

Cheesestick on July 29, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I definitely agree with the idea of a health plan that is government-sponsored.

AnninCA on July 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Poll: Americans want lower deficits without higher taxes or reduced services

Now we can see why we’re in the fix we’re in.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Poll:Americans want lower deficits without higher taxes or reduced services

I blame the “Greatest generation” as Tom Browkaw calls them and their offspring the “Babyboomers”!

The greatest generation were the parents to the babyboomers and so they won WW2, thought everything they did was right, and their children became monsters who have now bred the “Millennial Generation – known for its narcissism.”

You know who you don’t hear about because they’re not whiners? The X generation – those that were latchkey kids and had to fend for themselves and thus most became entrepreneurs instead of union workers (the greatest generation) or babyboomers (the wallstreet broker/get around the rules generation).

athenadelphi on July 30, 2009 at 3:55 AM

The poll lists reducing spending in health care, education and defense spending; specific areas. The raising taxes question was more general. Both should be general or specific for consistency and poll accuracy.

More fun would be more specific: listing the amounts to be spent by the fed of the next decade and listing the amount to save by reducing spending, the let the public come up with the numbers for each category.

michaelo on July 30, 2009 at 8:04 AM

They have heard our plea’s as they hear them every day. Still they do nothing. The anger grows stronger and they grow weaker. But they prevail and its damn damn to quit calling and start marching. Show up at these propagandized town hall meetings, rebel and tell these lazy SOB’s that their days are numbered as a career politician. If you’ve got a pair, reach down and squeeze them and make yourseldf do it. You will not regret it!

bluegrass on July 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM