Gates 911 caller: Um, why am I a racist for reporting a possible crime in progress?

posted at 6:37 pm on July 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

She saw two guys she didn’t know, one of whom was black, breaking into a house so she decided to err on the side of caution and call the cops. Ergo, racism. As it turns out, she didn’t identify either Gates or his cab driver as black in the actual call to police, a fact the media paid some attention to after the tape was released as possibly exonerating her of any malign intent. But as a lefty friend said to me today, what would it prove if she had ID’d them by race? That’s a standard detail given in any description of a suspect. Is the new reality that it’s okay to assume the worst about a break-in so long as the suspects aren’t minorities, but if they are minorities, it automatically becomes improper? Explain to me what she did that warranted the death threats here.

Meanwhile, not one, not two, but three separate liberals who follow me on Twitter thought it was important that I be informed that a cop who appears to have no connection to Crowley and who in fact works in a different police department than he does used a racial slur against Gates in an e-mail. What lesson I’m supposed to glean from that fact is unclear, but I have a hunch this Patterico post on stereotyping might be worth re-reading. Exit question: How come Whalen wasn’t invited to be part of tomorrow’s “teachable moment”/kegger at the White House? Evidently she wants to be.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Just once I’d like to see a home security commercial depicting the (non-white) gangbanger perp dead on the floor and the homeowner holding a Smith & Wesson .357

infidel4life on July 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I’ve though the exact same thing. The perp is shown entering the home with intent to harm the typical innocent woman and her daughter. Instead of making an “O face” and running away before crossing the threshold after the alarm sounds, he keeps going and is met with the premier home defense option in a nice tight grouping.

It.would.be.awesome.

PBoilermaker on July 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM

PBoilermaker on July 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM

The daughter or the Mom dropping the perp with one shot from each would indeed be awesome.

coldwarrior on July 29, 2009 at 9:32 PM

PBoilermaker on July 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM

A cut-away to the backyard, the next day, with the family over for a barbeque…large side of beef or something slowly rotating on the spit….slow fade to black.

coldwarrior on July 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM

coldwarrior on July 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Too bad we will never see something along those lines.

No truth in advertising.

PBoilermaker on July 29, 2009 at 9:37 PM

15 minutes….Andy Warhol is smiling somewhere.

RobCon on July 29, 2009 at 9:43 PM

coldwarrior on July 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Don’t forget the keg of beer. ;o)

infidel4life on July 29, 2009 at 9:45 PM

I blame left-wingers for this woman’s trembling voice!
Shame on them
And shame onthe Halfrican in the White House, for stoking the flames of racism!
Damn him

ToddonCapeCod on July 29, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Reporting a possible crime in progress while being too light skinned, unless having donated at least $5,000 to the Reverend Al Sharpton’s favorite charity, himself, is punishable under code 16, section 24 of Her Majesty’s List of Low Crimes and High Annoyances.

Cheshire Cat on July 29, 2009 at 11:20 PM

She had two ways to go on this…get pi$$ed off or feel bad having been attacked by the same people she’s so sensitive about.

Interesting.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 29, 2009 at 11:32 PM

infidel4life on July 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM

… and PBoilermaker on July 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM and
coldwarrior on July 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM:

Not on TV, but here are some feel-good links:

National Rifleman has the Crimson Trace ad with the lead-line to some of the pictures in this catalog: “The Guy with the Laser Survived“:

There’s another one I can’t find right now with the caption, “Innocent Victim?” showing a young lady nervously clutching a purse followed by a picture captioned “Or Armed Citizen?” in which she has pulled a gun from her purse with the final caption: “Keep the criminals guessing”

Cool ad photo

Also, just for grins:

Question: How do you tell the difference between Liberals, Conservatives and Southern Independents?

The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You’re walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal .40, and you are an expert shot; you have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.

What do you do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liberal’s Answer:

Well, that’s not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor! Or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away?
What does my wife think?
What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
What does the law say about this situation?
Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does it sent to society and to my children?
Is it possible he’d be happy with just killing me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?
Should I call 9-1-1?
Why is this street so deserted?
We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior.
This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conservative’s Answer:

BANG !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Southern Independent’s Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click….(sounds of reloading)
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click

Daughter: “Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?”

AZfederalist on July 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM

God Wendy Murphy (the lawyer) is such a sexist turd (although she still has her cheerleader good looks). Funny thing is when she was doing a morning radio talk gig she was usually came off as a common sense conservative. She even enjoyed making funny jokes filled with sexual innuendo. Put her in microphone and she’s happy to smear an Officer nad make sexists “it’s a guy thing” remarks. Try making it’s “a woman thing: type remark in public in front of microphones and smear a woman as overreacting and she’d have you labeled as a neanderthal sexists pig who should be imprisoned. What a turd.

TheBigOldDog on July 30, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Meanwhile, reverse discrimination judge is heading for SCOTUS.

Hows that white guilt working for ya?

Kini on July 30, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Breaks my heart to see her hurt so much. God bless her.

Rod on July 29, 2009 at 6:52 PM

The 911 caller is so upset because she is a Democrat who thought everybody who didn’t vote for Obama was a racist and she thought her liberal bona fides would make her immune to such accusations. For liberals it would be less upsetting to be called a child molester than it would to be called a racist.

AaronGuzman on July 30, 2009 at 2:58 AM

BOO HOO HOO. Look lady, we all know you hate black people. That’s pretty evident. I bet you’re even a member of the KKK. How dare you call the police on two black guys.
Next time you see a minority breaking into a home—just leave it alone. *eyes roll*

EMR on July 30, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Because she is a woman? Just a guess.

BrideOfRove on July 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM

You are carrying a Glock cal .40, and you are an expert shot

AZfederalist on July 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Definitely not a liberal. That was hillarious.

BrideOfRove on July 30, 2009 at 8:15 AM

I looked online to see if I could make a donation to the Boston Police Foundation’s Crimestoppers Program in her name but I couldn’t find an address.

tmitsss on July 30, 2009 at 9:23 AM

No one is off-limits for the real racists on the left.

MSGTAS on July 30, 2009 at 9:43 AM

The funniest lie from the media’s fog machine was when they claimed Gates was a Hillary supporter during the campaign. As Bill Cosby used to say as Noah… “uh… RIGHT!”

They’ve also made a point of saying Sgt. Crowley voted for Hillary (as if that’s validation for acceptable behavior). Imagine if he’d voted for McCain — or worse — vocally supported Palin. Doubt he would’ve gotten any invites for a beer.

miles on July 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM

This whole “Beer Summit” is just stupid.

Chekote on July 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM

This whole “Beer Summit” is just stupid.

Chekote on July 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Got that right.

Crowley is bringing his police union rep and his attorney…

Guess Obama and Gates might not be able to re-write the narrative after Crowley leaves.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM

ok, so for the libertarian point of view, those who thought Gates was within his right to call Crowley a racist, and scream at him – what is your take on the policeman who wrote a letter/email that Gates was acting like a “jungle monkey”?

Should he have been fired? If Gates should be protected to yell racist, and smear the reputation of an officer, I assume the other cop should be allowed to express his (racist) views, in the letter to the Boston Globe??

If the Boston cop were in his front yard could he yell out the letter he wrote without repercussion?

In my opinion, what Gates did, and what the Boston cop did are equally as bad. I think Gates was guilty of disorderly conduct, and I don’t think he had the right to yell hate speech (calling someone a racist is, IMHO hate speech) at the cop. If the Boston Cop lost his job for a letter he wrote to the paper, shouldn’t Gates lose his job? Or at least be guilty of racism/hate speech?

Does *monkey* qualify as hate speech? If so, I do recall hundreds of comparisons of Bush and apes. (I do think the letter was ugly, no doubt. But, why is that so much worse than *racist*? calling someone a racist can ruin their career, and reputation. calling someone a jungle monkey can ruin your career/reputation.)

OR do you think Gates and the Boson Cop are both within their rights?

sarainitaly on July 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM