Audio: Vitter hits “wishy washy” Voinovich for anti-southern comments

posted at 3:45 pm on July 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s like the Neil Young/Skynyrd feud of the early 70s except with dreary Senate soundbites instead of country-fried classic rock. In hindsight, maybe Dan Gilgoff was right: Vitter’s salute to “core conservative values” would seem to encompass social conservatism, which, needless to say, is ironic coming from him. Even so, what he says at the end about The One’s domestic agenda erasing regional differences among right-wingers is undeniably true. The more Hopenchange focuses on remaking America as a command-and-control economy, the more focused Republicans are on fiscal conservatism and the less important the northern/southern cultural divide is. In fact, I’m surprised Obama hasn’t already reversed himself on gay marriage just to try to drive a wedge between libertarians and social cons. Presumably he thinks the chance of it backfiring by alienating centrists is too great, especially with the GOP momentarily powerless in the minority, but I’ll be curious to see whether he changes his mind next year if there’s a red wave in the midterms and he’s suddenly forced to take many more political risks. Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How about the really forced use of “cars,” to rhyme with “stars”? It’s kinda like the Turtles song … I think it’s the Turtles … Happy Together -

“So happy together. How is the weather?”

Ack.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

My buddy John Prine has all that beat in Illegal Smile:
“No I’m just tryin’ to have me some fun
Well done, hot dog bun, my sister’s a nun”
Ahhhh….

clorensen on July 29, 2009 at 5:05 PM

My favorite shoes are my snowboard boots.

So your taste has turned to snowboard rats. probably because they’ll drink anything free and that helps your chances.

Good lord, chap.

So you are actually a brit? Because it would be awfully pretentious for a cool snowboarding, lynyrd skynyrd, bomber jacket wearing brother to say something like that and you’ve told us you are just a really cool guy.

peacenprosperity on July 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I think the term you are looking for is “FASCIST economy” … hey, I didn’t write the definition.

deepdiver on July 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM

clorensen on July 29, 2009 at 5:05 PM

OK, you win. That’s the worst I’ve ever heard.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Only doofpundit would quote dnc talking points in terms of it being “ironic” coming from vitter. Yeah, him having an affair 7 or so years ago means he can’t be conservative on the 2nd amendment or fiscal issues.

What a doofus doofpundit is.

TTheoLogan on July 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM

He didn’t say it was hypocritical… he said it was ironic.

Abby Adams on July 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM

It’s not ironic.

Hey look … I stole a pack of gum when I was 8. You may not think that’s serious – but stealing is stealing.

Is it ironic that I – having stolen something in my life – support the idea that stealing is wrong? Is it ironic that I wouldn’t want my kids to steal something? Is it ironic that refuse to steal anything ever again?

I don’t think that’s ironic.

See now – if I were a Democrat – I would just REVERSE my opinions on morality once I’ve failed to live up to them. In fact – not only would I do that – but I would also make it a VIRTUE for me to turn my back on those values and encourage others to do likewise.

Is it ironic that priests preach agains sin when they themselves are sinners? We’re all sinners.

Just because you fail to live up to a moral value – doesn’t mean you shouldn’t continue to try to.

HondaV65 on July 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM

My buddy John Prine

I was in the restaurant business for a long time and I used to tell my employees not to bother celebrities, to respect thier privacy. I always followed that rule until I saw Prine the night before I first saw him in concert. I had to let him know how much I appreciated his music and excited about finally getting to see him perform. He was very cool.

peacenprosperity on July 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM

You’re either too dumb, too lazy or too insolent to give a crap about the ordering of a few letters since your thoughts are so transparent anyway.

The Race Card on July 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM

You are absolutely right. As a superior being, I wonder why you would even come to this pit of ignorance and dish out such biting wit and clear-thinking to us unrefined rubes.

In fact, you really should be with your own kind at Mt. Olympus.

TMK on July 29, 2009 at 5:25 PM

So your taste has turned to snowboard rats.
peacenprosperity on July 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM

No. I just love boarding. But I support every step you take to kick open that closet door. Take it slow, Sweetie.

Listen, Bub. I never get to wear my favorite jacket. It’s too warm here..even when I go boarding.

Also, despite your attraction to me, I am not very “cool.”

The Race Card on July 29, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Here’s some stimuli for ya. My favorite t-shirt says “Sweet Home Alabama.” My favorite jacket is lamb’s wool-lined leather bomber jacket that was worn and owned by John Entwistle. My favorite shoes are my snowboard boots.

Sounds like the j peterman character from seinfeld. You’re hilarious. I bet you get made fun of alot in real life also.

peacenprosperity on July 29, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Vitter’s a member of the GOP who at least got the memo! And Voinovich is a wishy-washy moderrrate!

Christian Conservative on July 29, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Vitter hasn’t been caught in bed with a dead girl, or a live boy, so who cares?

For you Vitter bashers, he voted against the Porkulus, for the CCW bill, and stands publicly against Cap&Tax and Obamacare. Can all of ya’ll say that much for your Senator?

mabryb1 on July 29, 2009 at 5:47 PM

I bet you get made fun of alot in real life also.

peacenprosperity on July 29, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Yup.

The Race Card on July 29, 2009 at 5:55 PM

“Heart of Gold” is pretty tight too.

The Race Card on July 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Every time I listen to that song on my laptop, I think of the emptiness….before….I…..discovered…..Sarah.

I’ll take goodness over Ivy league EVERY time.

Sapwolf on July 29, 2009 at 6:03 PM

In fact, you really should be with your own kind at Mt. Olympus.

TMK on July 29, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Awww Bumpkin. You mistakenly ascribe your slow-wit to the rest of HotAir’s readership. Remember, just because I am smarter than you does not make me superior.

Hang in there!

The Race Card on July 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM

if it’s Civil War, I’ll join up y’all.

JohnBissell on July 29, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I’ll take goodness over Ivy league EVERY time.

Sapwolf on July 29, 2009 at 6:03 PM

::fake smile::

WTF are you talking about? Are they independent considerations?

Palin needs a new speechwriter. Why don’t you reply-tweet her your resumé bullet points?

The Race Card on July 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I don’t know many Neil Young songs, but “Southern Man” is such a whinny, dragging song I’m not sure how anybody can listen to it.

Sure, Springstien is in the pocket of the labor unions, but “Dancing in the Dark” and “I’m on Fire” are some of my favorite songs.

Count to 10 on July 29, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Kudos to young Allahpundit for citing the Southern Man/Sweet Home Alabama metaphor from my generation.

However:

Sometimes a repentant sinner understands and appreciates the rules he broke better than anyone else on earth. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be effective programs like Scared Straight, AA, etc.

Terrie on July 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I can’t stand either Springsteen or Young their music just plain sucks.

mmcnamer1 on July 29, 2009 at 7:10 PM

peacenprosperity on July 29, 2009 at 4:12 PM

my anal retentiveness is inwardly directed.

Seriously, I can’t relax until I’ve fixed something. I’m weird.

Mommypundit on July 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

mabryb1 on July 29, 2009 at 5:47 PM

That beats Cornyn and Hutchison

Blacksmith8 on July 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

mabryb1 on July 29, 2009 at 5:47 PM

I think he’s an insincere lecher who used his wife like a lapdog at his redemptive press conference. But his positions on these issues, as detailed in your comment, are commendable.

The Race Card on July 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Dave needs to settle down and change his diaper like the good ‘christian’ that he is.

Amen.

simplesimon on July 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Old saying: Yankees come south for vacation, dammed yankees stay.

workingforpigs on July 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM

RINOs like Voinovich, Lugar, Gramnesty and McCain are DONE.

nelsonknows on July 30, 2009 at 2:34 AM

This is liberal-speak.

Basicallly, you’re too lazy to care about the specifics contained within the statements you make. You attribute your laziness to some burgeoning societal trend, which thereby relieves you of any responsibility for your own words. To top it off, you cast those of us who devote even cursory scrutiny to our language as otherwise negligible.

Try this one:

The Race Card on July 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Who crapped in your cornflakes, buddy. Some manners you got.

Not Southern, I’m sure. A big mouth don’t make a big man.

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 30, 2009 at 9:22 AM

The Race Card on July 29, 2009

Aren’t they all? There’s only two types of politicians, the ones who got caught, and the ones who haven’t gotten caught yet.

All you can hope for is that they don’t screw you while they… well… do the same to their mistress/hooker/whatever.

mabryb1 on July 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM