Friends of Angelo knew about feeling the love

posted at 10:11 am on July 28, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

When Countrywide’s Friends of Angelo program got exposed for the first time last summer, the list of VIPs given preferential treatment because of their key connections to regulatory efforts in the federal government included two Senators who chaired committees overseeing the financial industry.  Chris Dodd (Banking Committee) and Kent Conrad (Budget Committee, and also a member on Finance) both denied for a year that they had any idea that they received below-market rates on mortgages and other VIP considerations.  Yesterday, Congress heard testimony that has exposed both men as liars:

Despite their denials, influential Democratic Sens. Kent Conrad and Chris Dodd were told from the start they were getting VIP mortgage discounts from one of the nation’s largest lenders, the official who handled their loans has told Congress in secret testimony.  …

Robert Feinberg, who worked in the Countrywide’s VIP section, told congressional investigators last month that the two senators were made aware that “who you know is basically how you’re coming in here.” …

Asked by a House investigator if Conrad, the North Dakota senator, “was aware that he was getting preferential treatment?” Feinberg answered: “Yes, he was aware.”

Referring to Dodd, the investigator asked:

“And do you know if during the course of your communications” with the senator or his wife “that you ever had an opportunity to share with them if they were getting special VIP treatment?”

“Yes, yes,” Feinberg replied.

Why does this matter?  First, it exposes both Senators as complete liars on the subject.  Conrad has kept more quiet about the matter, but Dodd has loudly insisted that he knew nothing about VIP treatment.  Despite chairing the Banking Committee, which keeps tabs on the entire lending and banking industry, Dodd says he was unaware that he got below-market rates or expedited financing, especially on his second mortgage on another property, which should have cost him more time and money to acquire, especially on a Senator’s salary.

Dodd and Conrad had to deny the allegations, though, because to admit to them would have meant admitting to engaging in a gross conflict of interest.  Countrywide needed greater oversight, as was made obvious in its eventual collapse, and both Dodd and Conrad had a fiduciary responsibility in their respective positions to pursue questions about Countrywide’s viability.  Instead, they sucked freebies and sweetheart deals from a company that had business within the scope of their authority.  That’s corruption no matter how one slices it.

The Breitbart report says that the Senate Ethics Committee heard testimony from Feinberg on this subject as well.  It’s probably too much to ask the Democrat-controlled Senate to expel two of its corrupt members or even to punish them for their corruption in any meaningful way.  Voters in Connecticut and North Dakota should remember that the pair sold out their constituents for cheap mortgages — and if the Democrats don’t do anything about it, voters in the rest of the US should take a lesson on how Democrats coddle the corrupt.  (via Michelle)

Comments

In a just world, Dodd would be behind bars.

BPD on July 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Is Countrywide still in business? My (non-sweetheart) loan w/ them was taken over by B of A.

jgapinoy on July 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Dodd is in real trouble in CT. The two newspapers in SE CT are running for them what are negative articles about Dodd. I have not seen one single article in the last 15 years that could even remotely be considered negative about Dodd in those two newspapers. Now they are doing it on a weekly basis. I suspect the tide has shifted and Dodd will be hung out to dry by the DNC.

Johnnyreb on July 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

In a just world, Dodd would be behind bars.

BPD on July 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM

WE WON…

right2bright on July 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I don’t want this to hit now; we need Dodd to lose the election. If he resigns now the Conn. Legislature will appoint another Democrat.

Mr. Bingley on July 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM

In a just world, Dodd would be behind bars.

BPD on July 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM

add rangel, geitner, daschle, franks, switzer, etc

weewilly on July 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM

In a just world, Dodd would be behind bars.

BPD on July 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM
Don’t forget Bawney, Bill & Hillary, Cold Cash Jefferson, & all of the D.C. Dem tax cheats.

jgapinoy on July 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM

What a difference a (D) makes following a name.

jbinnout on July 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

It will not effect either man. They’re Democrats, voted in by other Democrats. To be a Democrat you must suspend not only logic, but you must also suspend all ideals of honor or ethics.
I essence, you’re human slime, just like they are so no, they will feel no ill effects.

Jeff from WI on July 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Democrats= The Big Swamp Party

ICBM on July 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

if Dodd gets re-elected we are doomed as a nation

jp on July 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Business as usual.

I dream of a world where congress does the work of the people who put them there, and if they fail to do so they are promptly put out to pasture when their term is up and stripped of all medical and pension benefits.

Hey, Barry has his Utopia and I have mine.

fogw on July 28, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I=In

Jeff from WI on July 28, 2009 at 10:21 AM

jgapinoy on July 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Same here. 15 more months, and I can tell them to get lost.

ICBM on July 28, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Burned dogs turn on the owners …

So where is the ACORN outrage?

tarpon on July 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

TERM LIMITS!

BPD on July 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Mr. Bingley on July 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM

A Democrat resign because he is found out to be corrupt?

Surely you jest.

Hog Wild on July 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Greed – plain and simple.

I have to confess – I don’t how I would have handled the situation is someone offered me a 4% – zero down mortgage.

I hate to say it – but I think I would have taken the VIP treatment if it were offered to me. – so I better not pass judgment.

Greed.

jake-the-goose on July 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I think they leaked this stuff to put pressure on Conrad for healthcare stuff.

promachus on July 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Well, at least they were not playing footsie in an airport bathroom because those kind of shennanigans can really affect policy.

WashJeff on July 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM

TERM LIMITS!

BPD on July 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Repeal the 17th amendment!

WashJeff on July 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM

jake-the-goose on July 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM

If you’re a senator & it’s implied that your deal is based on quid-pro-quo, only a crook would accept.

jgapinoy on July 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Way to distract from the REAL issues, like Obama’s birth certificate!

Well played Mr. Morrissey.

Well played.

catmman on July 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Conrad has kept more quiet about the matter, but Dodd has loudly insisted that he knew nothing about VIP treatment. Despite chairing the Banking Committee, which keeps tabs on the entire lending and banking industry, Dodd says he was unaware that he got below-market rates or expedited financing, especially on his second mortgage on another property, which should have cost him more time and money to acquire, especially on a Senator’s salary.

So, senators on the banking committee didn’t know what the going rates were, and that theirs were below market?

Which is it gentlemen: are you lying, or incompetent at your job? Either way, changes need to be made.

Vashta.Nerada on July 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM

The question is did Dodd and Conrad deny these allegations under oath? Probably not. Because the didn’t “swear” under oath, they can just come back with the simple “I was confused by the question”—typical ethics practices of the Democrat Party.

Rovin on July 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I find this testimony less than convincing. Give me a copy of Dodd’s rate lock agreement or confirmation. One was issued by CW on every locked loan they originated. It will be dated and will show the rate and the yield spread premium. Take that document and compare it to the CW posted interest rates for that day. They are archived within BofA. If Dodd received a rate ‘below par’ without corresponding fees or points being charged, then he received a deal no ordinary borrower could have arranged. This would be clear evidence of favoritism..a sweatheart deal.

All this crowing about ‘special treatment’ and VIP programs..That’s all ‘sales fiction’…a come on. Blather to make the customer feel special. I’m more interested in the numbers. Let me see the appraisal. Let me see his income documenatation. I’ll tell you in 30 minutes if he was on the take.

DrW on July 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Greed – plain and simple.

Greed.

You aren’t an elected official tasked with oversight and you didn’t lie repeatedly about it. Taking the loans was a conflict of interest for them and deserves a slap on the wrist. Lying about it hould earn them an early retirement at the least.

Texas74 on July 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Greed.

jake-the-goose on July 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM

then again you’re not a senator on the banking commitee so i would lean more toward corruption instead of greed, i mean ALL humans are greedy it’s perfectly acceptable and beneficial to be so, but when you are entrusted will the public’s interests you should be more circumspect about what favors you accept.

weewilly on July 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM

In a just world, Dodd would be behind bars.

BPD on July 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM
add rangel, geitner, daschle, franks, switzer, etc

weewilly on July 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM

TERM LIMITS!

BPD on July 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Christian Conservative on July 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM

So when do these guys start rationing my health care? I can’t wait!

WashJeff on July 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Oh Ed, making with the funny.

Physics Geek on July 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Good God – the attack ads write themselves for Dodd and Co. I can see it now:

“Can’t get a mortgage? Lost your home in foreclosure? Can’t feed your kids and Grandma’s on Obamacare Deathrow? Well, that’s because your not Chris Dodd, Senator from Conneticut. Recipient of low interest loans on European Mansions, architect of the Fannie/Freddie debacle, asian masssage rub and tug extraordinaire and overall political fraud. Vote for Chris Dodd for Senate- make sure that everyone gets screwed “equally” – it’s the American way”

volnation on July 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Isn’t Dodd currently trailing in the polls? Granted, the midterms are over a year away, but it’s not like this story won’t resurface around election time.

Honestly, if Connecticut voters reelect this criminal after what he’s done, they deserve what they get.

Doughboy on July 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM

jgapinoy on July 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I know you’re correct – I just worry about my own reaction.

jake-the-goose on July 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Hard choices… would I rather be thought of as corrupt or stupid as as sitiing US Senator?

myrenovations on July 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

So there are only two possibilities here: either (1) Dodd is lying and is blatantly corrupt, or (2) Dodd is telling the truth and is astonishingly ignorant and grossly incompetent.

Either way you slice it, he is unfit for office and needs to go.

AZCoyote on July 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Texas74 on July 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM

100% correct – I suspect I am unfit to serve.

I wish I didn’t have to say that about myself. Oh well

jake-the-goose on July 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM

This is starting to feel like a reality show – which usual suspect in the Dem party is going to be booted out next year. My money was on Reid but Dodd may turn out to be the winner.

sherry on July 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM

13.9 trillion flushed down the toilet. Thanks to the worthless and corrupt Federal reserve.

gatorboy on July 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I heard Mike Rowe will work with Chris Dodd on Dirty Jobs next season.

WashJeff on July 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM

The bribes are so plentiful in DC that these two Senators didn’t even think about it. It’s not like the days when one just got a briefcase full of cash for the freezer.

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM

They’rel crooks . . . hard core, amoral valueless crooks that make Capone look like a Boy Scout.

rplat on July 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Dodd says he was unaware that he got below-market rates or expedited financing

Unfortunately, our elected vermin don’t appreciate all the perks they receive, so it would not surprise me if Dodd or anyone else figured everyone gets 4% rates.

Instead, they sucked freebies and sweetheart deals from a company that had business within the scope of their authority. That’s corruption no matter how one slices it.

Nah. Corruption is the standard for doing business if you are elected to office. Honesty is so 200 years ago.

Voters in Connecticut and North Dakota should remember that the pair sold out their constituents for cheap mortgages …

Good point except that voters would also have to remember that their reps sold them out for turtle eco-passages, salt marsh harvest mice, a $7 million monkey pagoda in California, stimulus signs, and many, many more worthless or non-existent projects.

VibrioCocci on July 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I heard Mike Rowe will work with Chris Dodd on Dirty Jobs next season.

WashJeff on July 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM

If there were any justice in the matter, Dodd would be mopping floors in some federal correctional facility next season.

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM

jgapinoy on July 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM

“Dolla Dolla Bill” Jefferson may be in jail soon. His trial is ongoing now in Louisiana and I think the prosecution just rested.

teke184 on July 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM

How many (look you in the eye) whoppers can this guy tell? I mean he and Obama have to be close to 100 apiece.

marklmail on July 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM

If the 17th amendment was repealed, a rigorous press would ask the Governor of the state the Senator represents if he\she is going to recall the senator (i.e., action would be demaded at the time of the controversy). 1913 was THE worst year for our republic and our constitution.

WashJeff on July 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Culture of Corruption!!

The (D)s won’t do one blessed thing about it….Shameful!

cmsinaz on July 28, 2009 at 10:45 AM

teke184 on July 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM

His trial is ongoing in Virginia, Alexandria to be specific. That’s important because if the trial were in New Orleans he would never be convicted. The only reason he isn’t in Congress now is that the LA primary system changed and he was forced into a run off with a Republican after winning the Democrat primary.

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Sorry, I just figured it was in LA because of the local coverage.

teke184 on July 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM

In the immortal words of Johnny Conyers – ‘Why bother to read’ the paperwork?

TinMan13 on July 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Liar, liar..soul’s on fire. Oh, wait!

SouthernGent on July 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Nothing to see here, move along now….

*sigh*

cmsinaz on July 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM

teke184 on July 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM

The good news is that closing arguments are this week. The bad news is that this trial has gone on so long I am only half convinced the jury will deliver a guilty verdict. Too much time since the first evidence and testimony has elapsed.

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Term limits aren’t necessary. What we need is for elected officals to be subject to a contract with the American people. Just like the contract millions of men and women in the military sign on which the service member agrees to temporarily set aside some of their basic rights in service to the nation. Open every single elected offical’s books. From deposit slip number one to debit slip number one million. They agree to abandon their right to privacy (financial) for the honor of serving the American people.
If they don’t like it they can stay a private citizen.

Limerick on July 28, 2009 at 10:51 AM

2010 is going to be real fun for Republicans. Too bad Conrad isn’t up for re-election until 2012. Maybe he’ll resign. The governor would appoint a Republican.

NathanG on July 28, 2009 at 10:56 AM

When will this loser just resign???

ctmom on July 28, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Indeed, Congress needs its own Inspector General to investigate ethics complaints rather than relying on party-controlled ethics committees to stall investigations and, once undertaken and completed, to do nothing about the results of the investigations.

I say take these pieces of sh*t, strip them to their underwear, stick them in front of the Lincoln Memorial, and leave them guarded but exposed and hydrated for 72 hours.

BuckeyeSam on July 28, 2009 at 11:00 AM

When will this loser just resign???

ctmom on July 28, 2009 at 10:56 AM

To which loser are you referring. Way too many people in DC should be submitting resignations.

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 11:00 AM

If they don’t like it they can stay a private citizen.

Limerick on July 28, 2009 at 10:51 AM

(I would only add that they ARE NOT entitled to any special retirement perks AT ALL – and, of course, this will take affect retroactively.)

VibrioCocci on July 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Term limits aren’t necessary.
Limerick on July 28, 2009 at 10:51 AM

There’s nothing wrong with your idea for greater transparency but I disagree with you about term limits. I would suggest to you that part of the problem is that we now have a political class more interested in getting along and getting reelected to the club than doing the job they are supposed to be doing.

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Hey ya know- if Dodd is claiming Ireland to be his primary residency….doesn’t that disqualify him being in the Senate?

drjohn on July 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM

What about the politician with smarts and integrity. Do we say “hit the road” and just roll the dice on their replacement? Good leaders are hard to come by. I don’t know if it is a good idea to start learning curves all over again.

Limerick on July 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM

DrW on July 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM

DrW – a fox reporter this morning was able to view (not copy) the documents. They are all stamped “FOB” at the top, noting the loans are Friends of Bill D’Angelo CEO of Countrywide.

barnone on July 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM

And I would say that is a perfect reason for term limits. People like Dodd are entrenched – he inherited his position from his late father and has been there ever since. People like him, Kennedy, Pelosi, Reid, Kerry, etc…all need to have their terms shortened.

The president can’t serve more than 2 terms; why can’t we apply something like that to Congress?

Oh wait – because they’d have to vote themselves out of jobs.

Believe me, I live in CT – have lived in New England my entire life – and have suffered under the jackboots of Democrats like Kennedy and Dodd.

Dodd is slipping in the polls in CT to historic lows for his career. Several Republicans are starting to launch committees to investigate a run for the position. I don’t know much about them, yet. But I remain hopeful that maybe 2010 is the year that Dodd is finally voted out.

KrisinNE on July 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM

If they had any honor, which obviously they don’t, they’d be shamed into resigning. But men of no character will stand fast and lie and cover up till the very end. Disgusting.

scalleywag on July 28, 2009 at 11:27 AM

What about the politician with smarts and integrity.

Is there such a beast? Seriously, I’m sure there is but I sure can’t think of one. They’re so outweighed by the corrupt.

scalleywag on July 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM

The only surprise is that these scum dogs got caught. They are so used to having it both ways, they can’t possibly have a conscience any more.

JAW on July 28, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Limerick on July 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Yes, we indeed say “thank you for serving, now get out” Good leaders are not hard to come by they are just hard to find when they never have the opportunity to step up until some entrenched member of the political class retires, resigns, or dies.

Teddy Kennedy has been in the Senate since 1962. John Conyers has been in the Congress for 44 years. Are you honestly suggesting that these individuals have the smarts and integrity so rare that they can’t be replaced? Think about it, do you anticipate doing the same job for 44 years? Why shouldn’t there be term limits? Personally, I think 8 years in the House and 12 years in the Senate is long enough for any individual to sit around playing god with Americans’ lives.

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Greed – plain and simple.

Greed.

Yah, Jake, maybe you would have…but would you have denied it happened?

That’s the difference between you and Dodd et. al.

Harry Schell on July 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Yah, Jake, maybe you would have…but would you have denied it happened?

That’s the difference between you and Dodd et. al.

Harry Schell on July 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Oh boy – no I preach “the truth will set you free”.

So my answer is – I would admit to everything I did, either before or after the being faced with the issue.

jake-the-goose on July 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Conyers just indicated his usefulness by laughing at the idea of reading the healthcare bill before voting on it. If he is too bored or too incompetent to read major policy legislation of this nature, then he shouldn’t be in the job.

This is derelitction of duty in its clearest sense. Might as well replace him with a monkey and have it press the button for all the utility his presence provides. He should join his wife in the slammer. The cells usually are double-occupancy, aren’t they? And how progressive to have full time conjugal visits!

Harry Schell on July 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Dodd’s conscience is clear. He’s of the ‘ruling elite’, therefore he’s SPECIAL. Being SPECIAL means that you are ENTITLED. Unlike the commoners. Just remember, some animals are more equal than others.

GarandFan on July 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM

John Murtha called his constituency RACISTS
that wouldn’t vote for Obama.
Murtha apoligized and said he meant to call his constituency REDNECKS.
He got re-elected. HE GOT RE-ELECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A-holes vote for a-holes.
Dodd will probably be around as long as he wants to be.

elderberry on July 28, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Vashta.Nerada on July 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM

You forgot stupid.

Filecchio on July 28, 2009 at 12:33 PM

No one get too excited – the economic meltdown is still Boooooooooooooooooooooooooosh’s fault because the most ethical Congress evah!!!11eleventy11!! is on the job.

/sarc

gwelf on July 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Poster Boys for TERM LIMITS and for putting the Senate Scum and Congress Critters on the same pay/benefit scale as the U.S. military.

At least with TERM LIMITS you can limit the amount the Bastreds are able to fleece from the public.
Conrad is history I have no such faith in the fools who reelect DUDD every few years!

dhunter on July 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM

All this crowing about ’special treatment’ and VIP programs..That’s all ’sales fiction’…a come on. Blather to make the customer feel special. I’m more interested in the numbers. Let me see the appraisal. Let me see his income documenatation. I’ll tell you in 30 minutes if he was on the take.

DrW on July 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM

If you think so, you don’t know much about Angelo Mozilo.

I also believe that if Mozilo is ever put under oath he will testify that he was told to offer these sweetheart loans by Jim Johnson at Fannie Mae.

rockmom on July 28, 2009 at 3:30 PM