Wow: Senate group ready to strip public plan, employer mandate out of ObamaCare? Update: “Fannie Med”?

posted at 9:39 pm on July 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

This is kind of like stripping the amnesty provisions out of comprehensive immigration reform. Once the venom’s been drained from the fangs, how much damage can it do?

No wonder the Kossacks are ready to revolt: “If the Senate Finance Committee drops the public option, the bill is worthless.”

[Senate sources] said any legislation that emerges from the talks is expected to provide for a nonprofit cooperative to sell insurance in competition with private industry, rather than giving the federal government a role in the marketplace. The White House and numerous Democrats in Congress have called for a government option to provide competition to private companies and hold down costs.

One of the senators involved in the talks, Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, confirmed that co-ops are the preferred approach. “The co-op is certainly one of the prominent options that is on the table,” Snowe told reporters after the group met Monday. “It’s safe to say that’ll probably remain in the final document.”

Officials also said a bipartisan compromise would not subject companies to a penalty if they declined to offer coverage to their workers. Instead, these businesses would be required to reimburse the government for part or all of any federal subsidies designed to help lower-income employees obtain insurance on their own.

Snowe said the idea is to discourage employers from dropping coverage because under the plan their workers could get government assistance to pay premiums. “We don’t want to undermine (employer coverage) or create a perverse incentive where employers potentially drop coverage because their employees can get subsidies,” she said.

Still in the bill: Provisions prohibiting insurance companies from denying coverage to any applicant, which will force healthy people to subsidize the less healthy via increased premiums. Ace is appropriately worried that Congress is simply too stupid and corrupt to hammer out a decent bill even with the killer parts of the program removed, but I think he’s kidding himself in expecting The One to sign off on a bill without a public plan. Granted, the political pressure to save face by passing something, anything, is enormous, and granted, whatever ends up on his desk will be watered down from Hopenchange’s utopian dreams. But is he really prepared to shaft the left on a government plan? If they desert him and then ObamaCare turns into the boondoggle we expect, who’ll be left to chant “yes we can”?

Update: If you’re wondering how we reached the point where Olympia Snowe is dictating terms to a filibuster-proof Democratic majority, let Kent Conrad explain. And if you believe Blue Dog Jim Cooper, Pelosi’s no better off than Conrad is.

Update: A spokesman from Jim DeMint’s office e-mails to say don’t be fooled — the co-ops will be almost as bad as a public plan, “dictating the terms of every health plan in America just like the government did in the mortgage industry, a Fannie Med, if you will.” He points to this admission from Reid a few weeks ago that there’ll be plenty of venom left in the fangs:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-NY, told reporters Thursday that a system of nonprofit cooperatives could pass as a “public option,” or government-run health care, depending on how they are set up.

“We’re going to have some type of public option, call it ‘co-op’, call it what you want,” Reid said, adding that Democrats are working on “some verison of a co-op that may satisfy everyone.”

This is not likely to please the legions of liberal Democrats clamoring for a plan fully-setup and managed by the federal government…

The co-op plan, authored by Sen Kent Conrad, D-ND, is still being tinkered with, but, working with Sen Chuck Schumer, D-NY, and other Democrats, some changes have been agreed to — like a major infusion of federal dollars at the beginning and an initial governing board set up by the feds with federal involvement. One point of contention, however, has been how long government officials remain on the board. Conrad has contended that the board should eventually be run solely by participants. Schumer and others have sought a continued government presence, trying to create a quasi-public option.

It’ll be mighty interesting to watch the Democrats pitch this to the left as a de facto public plan while they’re pitching it to the right as anything but.

Comments

I know this is off topic, but I thought you might all want to know. The EXTENZE couple have a new commercial.

bloggless on July 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM

blatantblue on July 27, 2009 at 11:47 PM

ROFL

bazil9 on July 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Well as we all know that shitty health care isn’t free either. Someone’s payin’.

terryannonline on July 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM

The people who are paying now will be the ones still paying….only a lot more. What we get in exchange will be less for our money.

genso on July 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM

We can pay out the nose for good healthcare or we can get sh*tty healthcare for free. Your choice.

bloggless on July 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Why can’t we meet somewhere in the middle?

Honestly…I can’t for the life of me understand why everyone here is so adamantly FOR P.E.C. clauses.

You’d think all of you worked for HealthNet.

The Ugly American on July 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM

a 50 year old without ED

blatantblue on July 27, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Hah….you’re just like me. BTW…don’t buy into that ED crap.

genso on July 27, 2009 at 11:50 PM

You’d think all of you worked for HealthNet.

The Ugly American on July 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM

I am not for PEC. But, I get ticked off when someone keeps asking and asking because they have an agenda. PEC can be worked out. The stinking lawyers like Edwards can not be worked out. They need tort reform and our great President doesn’t even mention it, as if they are not part of the problem.

bloggless on July 27, 2009 at 11:52 PM

BTW…don’t buy into that ED crap.

genso on July 27, 2009 at 11:50 PM

i do think its inflated out of proportion

seriously

the day i can’t get it up anymore

just throw me off a cliff into a pool of journalists and reporters

no more will to live

blatantblue on July 27, 2009 at 11:52 PM

ED has been blown way out of proportion. It drives me nuts.

bloggless on July 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

The Ugly American on July 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM

I’m not necessarily in favor of rigorously applied PEC clauses.

I’m in favor of a free market, as unfettered by government regulation as possible.

Insurance companies exist (obviously) to make money. PE condition clauses are just one tool in their toolbox.

If we could have true portability, w/o PE clauses, or the option to buy a PE waiver (which medical savings plans would take care of…) I’d be all for it.

Not sniping; just offering you my perspective.

massrighty on July 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

ED has been blown way out of proportion. It drives me nuts.

bloggless on July 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

So, this means you like Allah better?

/sarc

massrighty on July 27, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Do you work for Office Depot?

Just wondering ; )

The Ugly American on July 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM

blatantblue on July 27, 2009 at 11:52 PM

ED has been blown way out of proportion. It drives me nuts.

bloggless on July 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Just wondering how Obamacare will handle that? What do you guys say, mandatory treatment or none?

genso on July 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Do you work for Office Depot?

Just wondering ; )

The Ugly American on July 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Let me be clear. Maybe.

bloggless on July 27, 2009 at 11:57 PM

J.H.C …..see?

Now was that so hard? ; )

The Ugly American on July 27, 2009 at 11:57 PM

government is now the cradle
the crib
the casket

blatantblue on July 27, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Giant welfare state. People who want this government run healthcare ought to go live on welfare for a few months & see how they like it. Once a person is stripped of their hope, trades their freedom for cheese, and little by little agrees to “I can live with that” inhumanities to get by… well all that is left is anger & despair.

Terry you have been provided many answers to securing healthcare now and for solutions to lowering the current costs – have you looked into any of them or are you rejecting them?

Back to the topic in the header:

Ed – it’s a non- venomous snake… It’s a constrictor. These snakes sneak up on you and seize you in their six rows of sharp, recurved teeth, holding you while wrapping their coils around you. They then tighten their coils each time you exhale, until you can no longer draw a breath and than you suffocate.

You think you can escape at any moment – but you can’t. The fact that they have you means you are dead. d-e-d dead. The Dems are simply throwing all sorts of snakes at us – sort of like that scene in Indiana Jones, hoping one will take hold. One is all they need. Reject them all.

batterup on July 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM

genso on July 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Boomers are aging, becoming an even more important health care demo.
100% covered – mandatory.

Dispensed like soma, to the delta’s and epsilons.

massrighty on July 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Then not than

batterup on July 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM

J.H.C …..see?

Now was that so hard? ; )

The Ugly American on July 27, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Sorry – Jack Daniels density – I don’t get this referrence.

massrighty on July 28, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Dispensed like soma, to the delta’s and epsilons.

massrighty on July 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Well…there are a lot of…er…elderly Congressmen working on this legislation. Not that they would be bound by it in any way.

genso on July 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM

genso on July 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Please do not use “elderly congressmen” and “bound” in the same sentence, again.

massrighty on July 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM

massrighty on July 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Still having those Barney Frank nightmares? It’s the late-night coffee doing that.

genso on July 28, 2009 at 12:07 AM

genso on July 28, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Ewww!

massrighty on July 28, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Like I said earlier I was asking purely hypothetical, not my story. But since ppl keep asking me…I guess I’ll clear things up. No, I have not been denied health insurance coverage. But I do know do people do get denied for health insurance for pre-existing conditions. I mean we’ve all read those sad stories in the newspapers right?

terryannonline on July 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Ewww!

massrighty on July 28, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Sorry. Now I’ll have to stay up all night so I don’t have one. That’s karma for you.

genso on July 28, 2009 at 12:15 AM

I am currently uninsured tho.

terryannonline on July 28, 2009 at 12:17 AM

I mean we’ve all read those sad stories in the newspapers right?

terryannonline on July 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM

So…you were merely trying to enlighten us to this by your questioning? I don’t think that you will find a group of better researched readers on these subjects anywhere. Just because their minds do not come to the same conclusions as your heart is no reason to despair. Like always, something will be done, it won’t be perfect, and everyone will continue to complain. Feel better?

genso on July 28, 2009 at 12:21 AM

I am currently uninsured tho.

terryannonline on July 28, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Ok…that got to me. Call your state insurance office in the morning and ask them who carries catastrophic health insurance, then find the best deal for your money and get some insurance.

genso on July 28, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Good night evenyone. Got 2 sleep so I won’t be drowsy at work :)

terryannonline on July 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Good night evenyone. Got 2 sleep so I won’t be drowsy at work :)

terryannonline on July 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM

God bless you, terry….have a good sleep.

genso on July 28, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Snowe and Collins determine the course of the nation? What can go wrong with these two egomaniacle morons deciding economic and medical policy for 300 million people from now until China decides that America is over? The fascinating thing about these two is that they are not corrupt, they just worship corrupt institutions. Themselves. FannieMae. FreddyMac. It is like this has not ever happened before.

pat on July 28, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Kill all the fat people! That’s what it sounded like all day on the news. They kept blaming fat people for bankrupting the country. Still,they said for each obese person, it added 1400 more a year to health costs. One, 1400 isn’t that much. And, two, who says the chubby person isn’t paying for their own insurance or out of pocket?

Anyway, its sounded like it was pick on the fat people day and let’s blame them for our imaginary healthcare problem. I hope the fat people fight back and kick them in the nuts.

Blake on July 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Of course when you read that a bipartisan secret plan is being developed in the senate, you just know that Snowe is in on it. always ready to do her part to water it down just enough to pass on the crap to the taxpayers. then she’ll be celebrated in the media as a brave moderate

exceller on July 28, 2009 at 1:24 AM

They’re going to pass this crap sandwich and screw up the country even more, I just know it.

Sigh – maybe I’ll think differently in the morning.

Daggett on July 28, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Sorry, it’s late and I don’t have time to read all of the comments.

Any Obamacare bill passed by the Senate will spell disaster for America. The Republicans and slightly conservative Democrats in the Senate only have to muster 41 votes to filibuster the bill now, but once any bill passes, it will go to conference committee, and all of the things removed to get the bill passed will be put right back in. Then, it only takes 1 Senate votes to pass it. This is why the Republicans get rolled all of the time. They aren’t smart enough to see this coming.

Buford Gooch on July 28, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Sorr, it is late. “51 votes”

Buford Gooch on July 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM

CWforFreedom on July 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I applaud your list. And, I know, it omits the “rewriting history” that he is so famous for, his signature piece de resistance, and would make the whole thing quite mad (as in, this Obama character is as insane as they come) and over-long. I am copying it to send to others, if you don’t mind. I hope you read this, as I know it is quite late, even though it is only 10:30 here on the west coast.

betsyz on July 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Sorry – Jack Daniels density – I don’t get this referrence.

massrighty on July 28, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Jesus H Christ… how drunk are you?

Chaz706 on July 28, 2009 at 1:43 AM

batterup on July 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Agreed. This is just another species of the same monster.

atheling on July 28, 2009 at 1:58 AM

(voiceover)

New, from Teaparty Industries.

Your Dem troubles… are over.
Introducing – the Merchant. Of… DEBT! AT MID-TERMS!
The Merchant of Debt seeks out Dems- and destroys them!
Let all Dems beware…
The future protests of tomorrow,
TEAPARTY! INDUSTRIES!

Blacksmith on July 28, 2009 at 2:18 AM

For the late ones………….

………. I forgot to add to my post:

Seven Percent Solution on July 27, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Remember, Congress has exempted themselves from this bill…….

Have a good……… health care experience.

Seven Percent Solution on July 28, 2009 at 2:18 AM

OT but I think everyone should read and pass on this article(after the picture). Some of you may have seen it already, but I am guessing most of you have not.

stacy on July 28, 2009 at 2:37 AM

This isn’t going to fly because it misses the entire point. The whole point of this is to get rid of Medicare as we know it. The idea being that if you kill off 10 million people but promise “free” care to 12 million people, it is a net gain in votes and you can get away with it.

What they want to do is bring younger, healthier people into the government system and “weed” it of people who are a net drain.

Doing this “coop” thing still doesn’t address the real problem of Medicare going broke. The entire point to this is to reduce Medicare expense and make it look like some national “free” health care plan in order to get people to go along with it.

crosspatch on July 28, 2009 at 4:07 AM

stacy on July 28, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Stacy: I think articles like that are a bunch of crap. I hate that type of psychobabble. And worse, the Hitler comparison is even more offensive.

Blake on July 28, 2009 at 4:52 AM

Why does the filthy liar in the White House think he can deliver radical change to healthcare in a couple months?

highhopes on July 27, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Because Obama just wants to pass something. Does Bambi not understand why health care reform is promised all the time, and never gets done? Is Obama so delusional he thinks he can do when nobody else has been able to? Don’t answer that, it was a rhetorical question.

eyedoc on July 28, 2009 at 6:42 AM

These people are dense.

Health care reform we want: tort, no illegals, stop fraud, special funding for cronies, no endless welfare for any american, and possibly some help for individuals to get health insurance (private) with preexisting conditions (unsure how that would work.)

Other than that, I want NO MORE GOVERNMENT.

Gawsh. I will be calling these jerks AGAIN and telling them AGAIN that they are the problem and we want them OUT unless they want to strip away some of their own pet projects/entitlements.

Mommypundit on July 28, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Drop the public option and add meaningful tort reform, and maybe it becomes something worth talking about.

flipflop on July 28, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Three words…..scrap the deal.

yoda on July 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Government run healthcare is sub-Prime healthcare

tarpon on July 28, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Not one cent of federal money for the co-ops. Let them sink or swim on their own initiative.

highhopes on July 28, 2009 at 7:37 AM

No need to back off. Sink teeth to bone. DO NOT let up on these legislators, make this hurt all the way down. Take back our freedom and threaten those who threaten it.

Co-op is just a ruse. Just a spoonful of sugar. Sounds nice, sounds home grown, sounds local.

Tear it to shreds—take it apart chapter and verse.

do good things.

ted c on July 28, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Blake on July 28, 2009

Depending on how tall they are, kicking may be problematic. But if you knock them down for me I will be happy to stomp on their nuts. Let’s work together on this.
BTW, this fat guy has had four sick days in the past ten years, all due to some idiot customer who passed on his influenza via handshake…and never did buy anything, the schmuck. If anyone thinks that drove up their healthcare costs, they can pack sand or pound salt; their choice.

SKYFOX on July 28, 2009 at 7:55 AM

call your senators today. email them now before their offices open. call their satellite offices. keep doing it. do it all day long.

we must not let up, we must not surrender

kelley in virginia on July 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM

A Peek Inside the ObamaCare Bill
OBAMA wants to ram his MASSIVE Healthcare Bill down our throats Before anyone Realizes What Else is HIDDEN in it. HERE IS What HE Doesn’t want us to SEE or UNDERSTAND
HR 3200 See it all at: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h3200ih.pdf
Pg 22 of the HC Bill mandates the Government will audit books of all employers that self insure.
Pg 30 Sec 123 of HC bill — a Government committee (good luck with that!) will decide What, IF ANY+ treatments/benefits a Person May Receive.
Pg 29 lines 4-16 in the HC bill — YOUR HEALTHCARE WILL BE RATIONED!
Pg 42 of HC Bill — The Health Choices Commissioner will Choose YOUR HC Benefits For YOU.
PG 50 Section 152 in HC bill — HC will be provided to ALL non US citizens, illegal or otherwise.
Pg 58 HC Bill — Government will have Real-time Access to Individual’s Finances and a National ID Healthcard will be issued!
Pg 59 HC Bill lines 21-24 Government will have Direct Access to YOUR Bank Accts for election funds transfer.
PG 65 Sec 164 is a payoff subsidized plan for retirees and their families in Unions & community organizations (read: ACORN).
Pg 72 Lines 8-14 Government will create an HC Exchange to bring private HC plans under Government control.
PG 91 Lines 4-7 HC Bill — Government mandates linguistic appropriate services. Example — Translation for illegal aliens.
Pg 95 HC Bill Lines 8-18 The Government will use groups, i.e. ACORN & Americorps, to sign up individuals for Government HC plan.
PG 85 Line 7 HC Bill — Specifics of Benefit Levels for Plans. AARP members — your Health care WILL be rationed.
PG 102 Lines 12-18 HC Bill — Medicaid Eligible Individuals will be automatically enrolled in Medicaid. No choice.
pg 124 lines 24-25 HC No company can sue Government on price fixing. No “judicial review” against Government Monopoly.
pg 127 Lines 1-16 HC Bill — Doctors/ AMA — The Government will tell YOU what you can earn.
Pg 145 Line 15-17 An Employer MUST auto enroll employees into public option plan. NO CHOICE.
Pg 126 Lines 22-25 Employers MUST pay for HC for part time employees AND their families.
Pg 170 Lines 1-3 HC Bill Any NONRESIDENT Alien is exempt from individual taxes. (Americans will pay.)
Pg 195 HC Bill -officers & employees of HC Admin (the GOVERNMENT) will have access to ALL Americans’ finances and personal records.
PG 203 Line 14-15 HC — “The tax imposed under this section shall not be treated as tax” Yes, it says that.
Pg 239 Line 14-24 HC Bill Government will reduce physician services for Medicaid. Seniors, low income, poor affected.
Pg 241 Line 6-8 HC Bill — Doctors — doesn’t matter what specialty — will all be paid the same.
PG 253 Line 10-18 Government sets value of Doctor’s time, professional judgment, etc. Literally, value of humans.
PG 265 Sec 1131 Government mandates & controls productivity for private HC industries.
Pg 317 L 13-20 OMG!! PROHIBITION on ownership/investment. Government tells Doctors what/how much they can own.
Pg 317-318 lines 21-25,1-3 PROHIBITION on expansion — Government will mandate hospitals cannot expand.
Pg 354 Sec 1177 — Government will RESTRICT enrollment of Special needs people!
PG 425 Lines 4-12 Government mandates Advance Care Planning Consultations. Think Senior Citizens End of Life prodding.
PG 425 Lines 22-25, 426 Lines 1-3 Government provides approved list of End of Life Resources, Guiding You in HOW to Die.
PG 427 Lines 15-24 Government Mandates Program for Orders for End of Life. The Government has a Say in How Your Life Ends.
PG 429 Lines 10-12 “advanced care consultation” may include an ORDER for End of Life Plans. AN ORDER from the Government to End YOUR Life!
Page 472 Lines 14-17 PAYMENT TO COMMUNITY-BASED ORGANIZATION. 1 monthly payment to a community-based organization. (Like ACORN?)
There’s plenty more. See for yourself: PDF.

Keemo on July 28, 2009 at 8:28 AM

My comment is so basic I’m sure it’s been made but I’m not going to read through 4 pages of comments to see if it has.

A Non-Profit Insurance provider? Has anyone in Congress heard of Blue Cross Blue Shield? They are non-profit organizations in competition with “for profit” insurance companies.

I know, the purpose isn’t to hold mean insurance companies accountable. The purpose is to get the nose of the camel in the tent so that one day government can ruin it and have to take it over like Freddie and Fannie.

Hopeless Future on July 28, 2009 at 9:16 AM

terryannonline on July 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM

I’m following you on Twitter now… @Infobee

Mommypundit on July 28, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Obviously, the “co-op” proposal is a ruse, a Trojan horse for the “public option”.

Barry, imo, will sign whatever ends up on his desk, just so he can claim victory in his health care crusade. Then his goons will start drafting the amendments for the second round in this fight.

petefrt on July 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I suggest, in fairness, that we set up a two year test period for any healthcare boondoggle coming out of D.C. and the test subjects would be all congressmmen, all senators, all whitehouse personel and all judiciary nation wide. Put them on their plan for two years and if it works expand it if it doesn’t throw all of the ef’n bums out and start over with a new crop complete with TERM LIMITS for all and the military pay/benefit scale for all.

dhunter on July 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Anyone want to wager that there WILL be a vote this week?

sherryande on July 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM

ED has been blown way out of proportion. It drives me nuts.

bloggless on July 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

ED is God’s way of telling you to boot that shagnasty wife out and get some fresh poontang.

LimeyGeek on July 28, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Because without PEC clauses, folks will simply wait until they get sick to buy insurance, then dump it after they’ve been treated. It’s like buying car insurance after the crash, expecting the insurance company to pick up the tab.

Without these clauses, the companies will not survive. Of course, that’s kind of the point, as far as Obama and friends is concerned.

xblade on July 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I’m for the 10th Amendment argument that Texan and many other states are making. I want the federal goverment out of my back pocket.

TrickyDick on July 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM