Peterson: I don’t talk to my constituents because they’re nuts

posted at 4:45 pm on July 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The Minnesota GOP took notice of an odd statement from Rep. Collin Peterson (D-MN) in a Politico piece on the Birthers.  They want Peterson to apologize for calling a quarter of his constituents Truthers and claiming that he can’t hold town-hall meetings in person with the other seventy-five percent:

Out-party politicians have long had to deal with conspiracy theorists on their side — the people who think that the Clintons killed Vince Foster or that the Bush administration helped orchestrate the Sept. 11 attacks.

“Twenty-five percent of my people believe the Pentagon and Rumsfeld were responsible for taking the twin towers down,” said Rep. Collin Peterson, a Democrat who represents a conservative Republican district in Minnesota. “That’s why I don’t do town meetings.”

Somehow I doubt that a full quarter of Peterson’s constituents are Truthers, or even ten percent.  However, what if they were?  Doesn’t Peterson have some responsibility to talk to his constituents to dispel those paranoid conspiracy theories?  More to the point, Peterson should be answerable to his constituents, but I suspect that his reluctance to face them now has more to do with Peterson’s support of Obama’s agenda on cap-and-trade than it does with him being frightened away by conspiracy theorists.

Either way, it’s hardly a profile in courage.  Tony Sutton, the new GOP chair in Minnesota, wants an apology, and draws the same conclusion:

Collin Peterson must immediately apologize for the outrageous and offensive comments he made about his own constituents.  By stating that ‘twenty-five percent of my people believe the Pentagon and Rumsfeld were responsible for taking the twin towers down’ and that’s ‘why I don’t do town meetings,’ Peterson revealed just how out of touch and disconnected he has become in Washington.  Given his liberal voting record, the real reason Peterson doesn’t hold town hall meetings is because he is afraid to face the residents of his district.

On the overall Birther issue, it’s becoming a problem for Republicans.  We have people like Chris Matthews helping to fuel it, not because Matthews has objective journalistic instincts, but because he knows he can make all Republicans look like loons — and encourage more Birthers to get vocal.  Just when we need all the credibility we can muster to fight against ObamaCare and cap-and-tax, it’s getting sapped by the conspiracy theorists.

Let’s focus on the fights where the evidence supports our position.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m sure the admitted Truthers, added up to those who are Truthers in private, is equal to 25%.

Speedwagon82 on July 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM

So wait a minute … a liberal Democrat Congressman from a conservative district? Explain to me again how he gets elected if that is true.

crosspatch on July 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Why is Obama hiding THE TRUTH that he was responsible for blowing up the World Trade Center on 9/11???

OUTRAGE!

Even worse he’s polluting the ground to produce artificial rainbows. EXPOSE THE CONSPIRACY.

Hollowpoint on July 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Hollowpoint: Fire(Rosie)melts(O’Donnell)steel video moon
bat!!

Btw,I made my first comment on ACE’s site!!:)

canopfor on July 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM

When a liberal leftwing nutjob get elected in a conservative district, it supports the fact that he may have a case. That and the fact that ACORN was working his district.

volsense on July 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

People say it, but it’s not true that this (link below) is an inadequate vital record:

You could get a US passport with this type of certificate from Hawaii, just as I did with the exact same type of certificate from Minnesota.

RBMN on July 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM

crosspatch on July 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

ACORN

Grafted on July 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM

“Just when we need all the credibility we can muster to fight against ObamaCare and cap-and-tax, it’s getting sapped by the conspiracy theorists.” Ed

I have barely commented on this issue here and never said a word to my representatives about it.
We have all the credibility we need by virtue of our citizenship. The members of Congress should know this, even if you don’t. If they are low enough to use this issue to attack their constituents, you can be sure they would use any convenient issue at hand. It wouldn’t matter what it is.
And we can focus on more than one thing at a time, even if you can’t.

SKYFOX on July 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM

If I got elected to Congress and knew that by virtue of my incumbency and the campaign finance laws being what they are that I could probably hold on to my seat until I pass it on to one of my children, I don’t know that I would hold town hall meetings either.

myrenovations on July 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Ed,

Its not loony to want actual proof from Bozo. His COLB is not.

The Senate COMPELLED MCCAIN TO DO IT, why not Bozo?

dogsoldier on July 27, 2009 at 6:42 PM

BEST ARGUMENT FOR VTING THEM ALL OUT ALL OF THEM

rone5847 on July 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM

What, a crazy Democrat from Minnesota? You’ve got to be kidding me!

orlandocajun on July 27, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Btw,I made my first comment on ACE’s site!!:)

canopfor on July 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Did you see my skittle-sh*tting unicorn while you were over there? I lost it somewhere. ;)

genso on July 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM

As Ed said… I really don’t care what you think in your own homes, but please keep your theories about how Obama was born in Kenya or whatever in your own homes and discuss them with your family members. Those of us with a grip on reality don’t want to hear them. Seriously, if the nutty right wing of the RNC keeps it up, South Park is going to have a special “birther” episode like they did a “truther” episode.

Illinidiva on July 27, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Yeah, but the Clintons DID kill Vince Foster. Which is why they had to convert the FEMA camp in Mena into a concentration reeducation camp.

TugboatPhil on July 27, 2009 at 7:52 PM

For cowards like Peterson, any reason will do to not speak the truth and transfer the blame for his incompetencies onto the people.

MalindaH on July 27, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Something overlooked…

Call me paranoid but this: “my people”

makes my skin crawl. It could be a slip of the tongue, but more likely he views himself as some sort of ruler or, at best, a shepherd.

Vote this guy out.

JDPerren on July 27, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Collin Peterson would seem to be enjoying his lame duck status. This is a man who will be voting HIS conscience. Hopefully this turns out to be somewhat agreeable to the MN 7th, because it is what it is until 11-02-10.

exdeadhead on July 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Scumator Petersuckson,

F*uk you punk….I know you would not tell me to my face I am nuts. Coward.

jarhead0311 on July 27, 2009 at 10:58 PM

I guess for some it’s easier to admit that only the U.S. could pull off such a thing and not a bunch of lowlifes from the Middle East.

Illinidiva on July 27, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Some of us actually take the Constitution seriously and we have every right to speak out about our concerns, and I don’t give a damn what they do on South Park, the Daily Show, the Col-bare Re-pore and all these other smartass Libtard vehicles and never have.

It might just be that getting this guy out of office will be the only way for this society to avoid a disaster of monumental proportions. Biden would be inept and embarrassing, but harmless compared to the BHO machine.

But, if the GOP regaining a lead in the polls and putting RINOs back on top is our main focus then God help us. I can’t shake the feeling that these people running the show are not to be toyed with and will stop at nothing to accrue power. The longer this insanity goes on, the more I’m convinced that there will be no need for a GOP candidate in the future.

Time will tell, and I hope I’m wrong and it’s just all propaganda and BS and bluster.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 27, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Well, in his defense, his constituents are Democrats……..

Techie on July 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I wouldn’t call myself a ‘Birther’ (or a ‘Nirther’ if you’re a fellow schizophrenic of Charles Johnson and his groupies), but there is a big difference between a certificate of live birth and a birth certificate. Plus, the so-called ‘myth buster’ newspaper announcements very well could have been submitted to the newspaper by Barackus Caesar’s proud maternal grand-parents upon their learning of the birth of their grandson… in Kenya. His grandma ‘Tut’ basically raised him and she was living in Hawaii when Barackus Caesar was born.

All I’m saying is, “Show us the birth certificate.” But Barackus Caesar refuses. Possibly to milk the ‘birther’ tag hung around the necks of ‘crazy’ Republicans who would simply like to see his birth certificate. Or on the other hand, possibly because his ‘birth certificate’ does not exist. But if there is a birth certificate, what’s the problem with showing it and ending the ‘rumors’ once and for all?

There’s a helluva lot more credence to the possibilty that Barackus Caesar was born in Kenya than there is that 9/11 was an ‘inside job’, but that doesn’t seem to sway the libtard kool-aid gulpers that poo-poo the former and wholeheartedly believe the latter.

SilverStar830 on July 28, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Speedwagon82 on July 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I’m sure you are dead wrong.

Jaibones on July 28, 2009 at 8:13 AM

crosspatch on July 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

That’s the question here. I suspect this district is not nearly so “conservative Republican” as you claim, Ed.

Minnesota is obviously dominated by loons of the liberal type, and the non-liberals seem to embrace a really loony anti-intellectual bent, electing ass-clowns like Franken and Ventura.

Jaibones on July 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM

This guy will be gone after the next election. I dont care who you are, you can’t insult your constituents.

Especially the ones that show up for meetings.

McCain was compelled to prove his eligibility to run for president, but Bozo did not. People have a right to worry when one person is treated differently than another in a case like this, especially after listening to Bozo’s grandma on the radio saying he was born in Kenya.

dogsoldier on July 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM

This guy looks like Michelle Obama in white face.

Wade on July 28, 2009 at 9:34 AM

He’s right. You would have to be crazy to vote to elect this non-accounatable, contemptuous, pompous, better-than-you, living off the taxpayer, pale, prostrate swollen liberal loser.

enoughalready on July 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

The thing about the Birth Certificate was that he didn’t release it early on. Why? Probably because he wanted to keep people busy going after his birth certificate while we should have been talking about his crazy energy and health policies. Of course, “we” were talking about it, just the rest of the nation was not.

jeffn21 on July 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM