Video: Why California really, really needs Race to the Top funds

posted at 2:15 pm on July 25, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Item: California may not get to participate in President Obama’s Race to the Top education grant system because the state bars school districts from using student testing data in teacher evaluations:

The state isn’t likely to see any of the $4.35 billion in competitive federal grants that will be passed out as part of the American Recovery Act if legislators don’t rescind a law that prevents teachers from being evaluated based on student test scores, say federal officials.

“Any state that makes it unlawful to link student progress to teacher evaluation will have to change its ways if it wants to compete for a grant,” President Barack Obama said in a news conference Friday.

California’s education code states that a system tracking teacher data, to be online next year, is not to be used in combination with student information to evaluate teachers.

Only Wisconsin and Nevada have similar laws.

Item: Even apart from the money, evidence that California needs to repeal those laws:

King Banaian dropped this one on us in the NARN Green Room this afternoon, in what had to be a covert operation to undermine our show prep. I’m not sure which is my favorite part — probably where the young woman explained that “food is free, all you have to do is pay the farmers” — but Mitch thinks the “vegetable trees” was the best. Actually, I think the most edifying part was watching the Santa Cruz city council sit impassively to the very end, or maybe the strangled applause just before they asked for the next speaker.

California, the choice could not be more clear.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I heard they grew some good weed in Santa Cruz, but I had no idea.

Hummer53 on July 25, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Ya know how you can’t dance really bad unless you can dance (IE Carlton) and like you can’t like (smack. snap out of it me) skate bad and make it believable and funny unless you can’t really really skate well . . . I’m calling Crop Circles on this one.

- The Cat

MirCat on July 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM

And that was the official efficiency expert visit from our fearless dear leader.

Speakup on July 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM

You think she’s “shovel ready”?

Jeff from WI on July 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM

They’re really really really good at making things. They’re like experts.”

We need to really really really look at making people take a literacy test before they can vote.

Texas Aggie on July 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Are you serious? On the east coast has slaves? O rilly?

Rode Werk on July 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM

OMG, this gal represents the mentality of most of the voters in California…. wonder why they are broke, everything is free…. we could plant a money tree.

workingforpigs on July 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM

And the politicians sat there thinking to themselves… “Crap, she’s on to us.”

RalphyBoy on July 25, 2009 at 7:45 PM

workingforpigs on July 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM

LOL…True. We’ve got them here too, we call ours Democrats.

Jeff from WI on July 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Don’t laugh — She’s still smarter than Barbara Boxer.

jon1979 on July 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Right about the 1:28 mark, look at the guy in the white shirt sitting behind Miss Doofus. He gives a “Can anyone tell me just what in the hell this woman is babbling about?”

the Coondawg on July 25, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Don’t laugh — She’s still smarter than Barbara Boxer.

jon1979 on July 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM

And Michelle Obama

Jeff from WI on July 25, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I heard they grew some good weed in Santa Cruz, but I had no idea.

Hummer53 on July 25, 2009 at 7:00 PM

That’s not pot. It’s a combo of being a liberal and stupid. Pardon the redundancy.

whiskeytango on July 25, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I liked the three clap applause at the end.

Little Boomer on July 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Oh my Gawd, it is like so simple if you like grow vegetables because they are like so good for us and like healthy and like green and then like we can like lower rent like so the expert stuff makers can like make more like stuff and like grow like the vegetables.

:P

milwife88 on July 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM

My home state is so screwed up (I am planning the exit strategy now, like all the other smart, WORKING people leaving CA)… The teachers’ union is too powerful and will never allow any change linking teacher evaluations to merit pay, student scores, etc. I have family in that field since the early 1970′s and have seen it all my life first as a public school student, then as a taxpayer UNWILLINGLY supporting the system (I sent my kids to private school). Change: not going to happen. Ever…

Khun Joe on July 25, 2009 at 8:21 PM

“I heard they grew some good weed in Santa Cruz, but I had no idea.

Hummer53 on July 25, 2009 at 7:00 PM”

Now THAT is funny…………!

Seven Percent Solution on July 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Khun Joe on July 25, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I moved to the Golden State , California the peoples republic of Kalifornia in 1982, and escaped in 2005. Haven’t looked back since.

OmahaConservative on July 25, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Yikes. And she’s not even Miss Teen North Carolina.

Sheena_is_a_Conservative_Now on July 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM

She also probably believes that universal health care is free, as long as we pay alot for it.

ThePrez on July 25, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Why not? That’s what the moonbats in Canada and the UK always tell me. LOL

Blake on July 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Are those her boobs, or is somebody missing a couple of basketballs?

Joe Pyne on July 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Are those her boobs, or is somebody missing a couple of basketballs?

Joe Pyne on July 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Hey, easy on those boobs, they have to provide her a living. It’s obvious her brain can’t.

Jeff from WI on July 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Her voice, you know, was easy to tune out, like you know. I noticed her posture and it reminded me of another more famous slouch: Gwyneth Paltrow, Oscars 2002. Her highlight video, VENT Gwynnie’s anti-American theater, is a true classic* if ever there was one.(* Till banned by YouTube per William Ayers copyright infringement claim.) Although, I am struck by Gwynnie’s latest pose. Could her efforts to imitate Dear Leaders favorite look be simply to slim the ears or for the first time in her, you know, entitled life, she is proud to associate with something American?

What do they put in the water in California? I forgot. You aren’t allowed to have water to grow those free veggies so it turned Paul Rodriguez into a Republican. I think that Delta smelt fish is going to win the Race to the Top.

FeFe on July 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

It took the little girl up front all of 18 seconds to give Betty Boobs the thumbs down..hahahaha

the Coondawg on July 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM

CA’s bigger problem is, like, uh, if you make any sense greater than this, like, lady’s nonsense, you aren’t, you know, um, popular.

Seriously.

Lourdes on July 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I want some vegetable trees too, and organic food grown from good pesticides.

OmahaConservative on July 25, 2009 at 2:37 PM

But, what about the CROPS! For the love of God, think about the CROPS!

/sarc.

Lourdes on July 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM

This must be staged.

..Please let it be staged.

Reaps on July 25, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I’m a red-blooded fan of unrestrained boobies as much as the next [straight] guy, but…dayum!

I kept feeling an urge to do an intervention by bringing that girl a 40DD bra. And to shut her up before she could do rational thought and the English language any more damage.

I’ll bet she can txt rily rily fst tho.

Wanderlust on July 25, 2009 at 11:23 PM

If she would just jump up and down as she said this, most would nod in agreement.

Rilly.

profitsbeard on July 25, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Sigh…….

I’d hit it.

Probably with a shovel…..or maybe a baseball bat….

Kasper Hauser on July 26, 2009 at 12:13 AM

heh, dumber than a bag of hammers!

opiemuyo on July 26, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Sigh…….

I’d hit it.

Probably with a shovel…..or maybe a baseball bat….

Kasper Hauser on July 26, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I wouldn’t hit that slime using your member wrapped in 100 condoms that were dished out in the local school.

She’s a skank, and worse yet, obviously a stupid skank at that. However, she’s a great representative of the (what they think is) logical thinkers in the democrat party.

Spiritk9 on July 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM

My sister in law is a LAUSD teacher, and she routinely gets the “dregs” — the kids nobody who has more seniority wants. She gets good reviews because she’s able to discipline the kids properly and get them “on task”, but her kids will never win any testing contests.

She’ll be the first to be axed, because, with over 25 years of teaching experience behind her at that school, she’s still the newest hire — some of the teachers still there taught her. They were bad teachers then, and they are bad teachers now, but they have the advantage of not having any “dregs”.

So, Ed, be careful of what you wish for, especially if it’s something Obama’s thought up — it may come true.

unclesmrgol on July 26, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Holy shit, I haven’t smoked pot in years, but I just felt myself losing brain cells.

jollycynic on July 26, 2009 at 1:12 AM

I didn’t know that much stupid would fit in one human being.

single stack on July 26, 2009 at 1:55 AM

That is not from smoking pot.

That is from being a liberal idiot raised by morons who didn’t bother to make sure their kid actually learned anything like the basics of science and nature.

Ok i have to go pick some broccoli off my broccoli tree…later.

By the way, david frume is an a$$hole

BillaryMcBush on July 26, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Well, Nancy Pelosi has to have a successor. She fits the bill.

I can hear it now.

Let me be clear. This free farming will create jobs, jobs, jobs. Our potato trees will bear fruit!

Multibucket on July 26, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Ed Morrissey.

Thank you so much for posting this. Laughter heals many wounds.

Loxodonta on July 26, 2009 at 3:15 AM

I’m gonna be the first guy ever to overthrow an entire state outmanned, uh maybe like, a lot to one.

THE CHOSEN ONE on July 26, 2009 at 4:36 AM

As a kid I helped out on two different uncles farms. Milking Zebras in the morning and night and climbing trees during the day to pick the watermelon crop.

Jeff from WI on July 26, 2009 at 4:46 AM

Santa Cruz City Council meetings are famous for this sort of lunacy. It usually goes on until two or three in the morning on meeting nights.

Santa Cruz has always been a bit different, but it got totally out of hand when the put the University in. I’m planning my escape. With any luck I’ll be out of here by this time next year. If I can’t manage to do it quicker.

trigon on July 26, 2009 at 4:58 AM

What do you want from life

Well you can`t have that,
but if you`re an American citizen
you are entitled to:

a heated kidney shaped pool,
a microwave oven (don`t watch the food cook,)
a dynagym, I`ll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
a king size titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,
a foolproof plan
and an airtight alibi,
real simulated indian jewelry,
a Gucci shoetree,
a years supply of antibiotics,

……………………………………………
…………………………………..
a Las Vegas wedding,
a Mexican divorce,
a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee cup,

or

a baby`s arm holding an apple.

DSchoen on July 26, 2009 at 5:11 AM

After seeing this please tell us again WHY California should be saved.

Jeff from WI on July 26, 2009 at 6:06 AM

I was scheduled for an IQ test today, but I think I better postpone it, just in case watching this made my brain slower.

Squiggy on July 26, 2009 at 8:28 AM

She should challenge pelosi next time. She makes just as much sense.

pitter43 on July 26, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Squiggy on July 26, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Slower?

Cripes, I think my brain flat-lined listening to this child-of-the-earth.

cruadin on July 26, 2009 at 9:37 AM

There’s no laughter in the background – very, very telling.

Pelayo on July 26, 2009 at 10:04 AM

She drinks from the jugs of stupidity.

Dino64 on July 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Santa Cruz is a very big village; they must have lots and lots of idiots.

“The food is free, so . . . we should just sell it at the farmer’s market.” Wow!

Pelayo on July 26, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Yes California, grows its own and that is part of the problem. Some of it is good S@#^. This individual shows how good it is. However, its use can be catastrophic – I only hope she took public transient to her tree house.

Also, hearing no objections from the Council or the audience indicates this S@#^ is used by a large part of the population on a regular basis, because they appear to understand what she was say or nodding out.

Her testimony and the lack of reaction gives rise to the concept that as Hitlery espoused “It take a village” to raise and idiot. The village of Santa Cruz (I know it well as an old time surfer dude in in the 60′s but got out when the getting was good) is a college project gone bad or good if the objective was to prove inbreeding is not wise.

MSGTAS on July 26, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Keep laughing. She’ll have a book, reality show, children’s cartoon and talk show by this October.

scituate_tgr on July 26, 2009 at 10:58 AM

The SC City Council is part of the problem. The Pasadena City Council (think Rose Parade) proceedings are similarly full of procedural minutia about issues of minutia so as to be better than Seconal. The type of peoople who can sit through such meetings and not go insane are not working types or those inclined to prioritize and make decisions. The venue in many cities is for those with too much time on their hands and complete self-absobtion in “their issue” to bleat. It is not there to set good policy or restrain the excesses of dysfunctional people, but to listen, nod agely and perphaps do a little something so the speaker feels fullfilled and validated as a human being.

Hence, Pasadena has a law which requires you to change your dog’s water bowl every 24 hours. Too stupid to figure that out on your own, aren’t you?

The busybodies have the time to figure stuff like this out and to go to council meetings usually because they are unoccupied with more important things or have intellectually richer lives. For many graduates of the school system here, having an intellectually richer life is impossible unless they seek it on their own, and schools discourage this in preference to cultivating self-esteem.

Billy Ayres did a good job here.

I don’t have my exit strategy in place, but I know I going.

Harry Schell on July 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM

They left out the part where she says:
“How come my brother has 2 sisters, but I only have 1….?”

guitarguy on July 26, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I’m seriously hoping she’s just a very good actress, because that much stupid in one package is just inconceivable.

taznar on July 26, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Katie Couric and MACs PR team allowed Sarah to look like this nitwit, that is what the media did for America while covering up Hugobamas connections…
unfrakkinbelievable
THIS is what leftys think Sarah is like….projection….

ginaswo on July 26, 2009 at 12:22 PM

As a longtime, part-time resident of Santa Cruz, I can assure you this is not a put-on. Such people turn up at practically every council meeting. It’s not called the People’s Republic of Santa Cruz for nothing.

Other examples: One frequently-elected politician hasn’t voluntarily paid half his income taxes for almost 35 years as a protest against military spending. Another got national press when he put one Limbaugh book for sale in his bookstore at the price of its weight in baloney (actually kind of clever, I think.)

Santa Cruz is also a hotbed of Green Nimbyism. When the high school wanted to build a concession stand at the baseball diamond it was sued to force it to do an EIS. Ditto when the Navy SEALS wanted to do some maneuvers that basically involved landing rubber rafts on the beach. It wasn’t just left-wing anti-militarism, some really thought whales and otters were going to die. A proposed quarter-mile bike path has been held up for years with EIS litigation and eco-politics. Yup, a bike path, not a freeway.

Finally, while Santa Cruz energetically opposes road improvements because they might encourage thousands of workers to migrate there from nearby Silicon Valley, resulting in ‘overdevelopment’, it is, of course, a sanctuary city for thousands of illegal migrants from Mexico.

John Reece
Truckee and Santa Cruz, CA

kd6rxl on July 26, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Just goes to show that when your bustline number is higher than your IQ, it’s probably best to make your intellectual arguments off-camera.

jon1979 on July 26, 2009 at 12:59 PM

There’s no laughter in the background – very, very telling.

Pelayo on July 26, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Exactly, I was wondering that too. In a way it was kind of creepy.These people actually thought what she had to say was worth wasting their time and they gave credibility to it.

Jeff from WI on July 26, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Is she actually a secret Biden “Love Child”?

Jeff from WI on July 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM

OMG, I had no idea. Food is free? Yeah, and they can sell the “stuff” they make, macrame bags are probably still popular.

elclynn on July 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Texas Aggie on July 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM

My preference is a civics test, like what are the main divisions of government and who created that plan?

Who actually wrote the Constitution and what document did he use as a template?

Name the 3rd President.

A local teacher called into a local radio show and was unable to enumerate the countries involved in the Civil War. Or the Revolutionary war. She added that it didn’t really matter. She teaches history. You can’t make this stuff up.

dogsoldier on July 26, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Yes, the Civil War question was/is a trick question.

dogsoldier on July 26, 2009 at 3:22 PM

This, folks, is why we took our son out of the public school system in California and home schooled him all the way through high school. We have never regretted that decision.

tballard on July 26, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I’m speechless…

ronsfi on July 26, 2009 at 4:11 PM

and uhm, and uhm, my goodness. Her cup runnith over with uhm’s.

johnnyU on July 26, 2009 at 5:25 PM

How did she find her way there?

Idiot.

1921 C DRUM on July 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Ladies and Gentlepersons — the next President of the — um — United States!

unclesmrgol on July 26, 2009 at 6:07 PM

“…and the I-raaaaaack, and the South Africa? Like, where the slavery happened on the East coast…? China, where the slavery is free…?”

highhopes on July 25, 2009 at 4:53 PM
Sheena_is_a_Conservative_Now on July 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM

RD on July 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I live on the east coast. Where are my slaves???

johnboy on July 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM

This is not a real person can,t be.This is a HotAir joke right.She did not say this right. A joke on all of us right. God may not be able to help us if this is for real.

thmcbb on July 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Just too funny -

InTheBellyoftheBeast on July 26, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Ms. South Carolina gained some weight.

Alden Pyle on July 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM

You realize she’d need tomate with a member of MENSA to have kids that would seem normal.

Jeff from WI on July 26, 2009 at 9:34 PM

What schools did she attend (so I never send my kids there)? And…who was her aestehic surgeon…he should be sued for those knockers. That would pay for the free vegetables.

Babyhugger on July 26, 2009 at 11:27 PM

I’m speechless…

ronsfi on July 26, 2009

yep.

JellyToast on July 27, 2009 at 7:40 AM

Well there you have it, your typical female voter…..three…two…one…

Jeff from WI on July 27, 2009 at 7:51 AM

What I discovered watching the video was twofold:

a) It sounds better with the PC muted
b) I kept wishing she’d jump up and down

I met women like her back in college. Even though I was essentially the woman anti-magnet (physics major), occasionally a hot one would talk to me. When they sounded like the girl in the video, I typically couldn’t hold back the laughter.

So sure, being a physics major didn’t help me with the fairer sex. Tell me something I didn’t know already.

Physics Geek on July 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Is this Nancy Pelosi’s daughter… she really makes sense..just like her.

workingforpigs on July 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM