Video: The best show you’re not watching

posted at 10:57 am on July 24, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Hey, I’m not watching it either, because until yesterday, I’d never heard of it. The Wanted combines the sensibilities of America’s Most Wanted with the global war on terror by finding terrorists, genocidists, and other known human-rights abusers around the world. Unlike on AMW, which finds criminals hiding from law enforcement, The Wanted finds their targets living in the open in countries that seem uninterested in bringing them to justice until Adam Ciralsky and his team of former special-ops forces shame them into action:

In a sense, the men of The Wanted exemplify the power of investigative journalism at its best. They use an aggressive documentary style, but at the heart of their effort is a dedication to openness and accountability and its ability to prevail over terrorism. One says, “At the end of the day, the rule of law is more powerful than the rule of the gun,” and the show itself is a testimonial to their belief in that slogan.

In this episode, presented in its 45-minute entirety through NBC’s video library, The Wanted finds the founder of Ansaar-al-Islam, a notorious al-Qaeda affiliate in Iraq, living openly in Norway. The Norwegian Supreme Court ruled that Mullak Krekar had to be deported, but the Norwegian government had dragged its feet, ostensibly worried about potential torture or execution for Krekar if extradited to Iraq. The squad confronts both Norway and Krekar.

How has this been received by critics? Surprisingly, the Washington Post’s Tom Shales gave it a great review, although he initially worried about the blurring of lines between journalism and activism:

Is this actual journalism or some kind of crazed commando reportage? A half-century or so ago, Edward R. Murrow produced a television program in which, he hoped, Sen. Joe McCarthy, given enough rope, would tie himself into a frenzied pretzel. Murrow did not, however, wait outside McCarthy’s office so he could pounce on him with a camera crew while shouting “J’accuse!” “The Wanted” goes to almost that extreme, and if it’s to be commended for making the basic conflict graphic and comprehensible, it’s also to be treated with a certain degree of wary skepticism.

Perhaps the times have changed to such an extreme that the old rules have to change as well. In any case, the crack team of journalists and producers behind “The Wanted” take their jobs with sobering seriousness. These soldiers of fortune include Roger Carstens, an expert on counter-intelligence and counter-insurgency; Scott Tyler, a former Navy SEAL and expert on “urban reconnaissance and unconventional warfare”; former U.S. intelligence official David Crane; and co-executive producers Adam Ciralsky and Charlie Ebersol. Ciralsky is an Emmy-winning journalist, and Ebersol — son of NBC Sports President (and Olympics producer) Dick Ebersol — says of the new venture, “The pairing of rigorous investigative journalism with high-end production values has resulted in a fast-paced show which we hope will leave viewers wanting more.” …

Whatever theoretical quibbles one might make with the show’s style, its substance is strong and the overall effect is a highly charged knockout. “The Wanted” could also prove to be “The Needed.”

Unfortunately, not everyone likes being KO’d by The Wanted. In a later episode (as yet unscheduled), the team tracked down a figure indicted in the Rwandan genocide, Leopold Munyakazi, in Maryland — where he taught at Goucher College in Towson. Interpol has a wanted notice (a “red note”) for his arrest. Adam Ciralsky interviewed Goucher president Sandy Ungar during the show about how they could have missed Munyakazi’s warrant in a background search.

That appears to have touched a major nerve at Goucher. Baltimore Sun media critic David Zurawik wrote a scathing series of blasts against The Wanted — but in at least one of those posts, fails to mention his connection to Goucher College where he works as a teacher, or the fact that the show outed one of his colleagues. Zurawik did mention it in an earlier post, as well as subsequent ones:

That is possibly relevant because NBC News producers came to Goucher last year to film an interview allegedly for Dateline with a visiting professor from Rwanda. The story of their presence on campus was reported in the Sun including the allegations that the professor was a war criminal. No mention was made of The Wanted — only Dateline.

I’d call that pretty relevant, especially since his first post on the matter asked why NBC News had set itself up as an arbiter of who qualifies as a terrorist — and then accused them of McCarthyism. Bear in mind that this post came before Zurawik had watched the show, the episode on Mullah Krekar, an internationally wanted terrorist and the founder of an al-Qaeda affiliate with responsibility for hundreds of deaths.

Decide for yourself. Watch this episode, and tune in Monday night at 9 pm ET to see the next.

Addendum: Kudos to Dove Hair Care for sponsoring the web broadcast; it’s an interesting and edgy choice for that product.

Update: Earlier, I used the somewhat-inaccurate term “commandos”. I replaced it with the better “special-ops forces”.

Comments

so this is like those reporters who tried to catch that Serbian war criminal.

rob verdi on July 24, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Saw this on Hulu yesterday. Real good stuff

@ntif@n on July 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Just another bunch of guys persecuting minority professors, huh?

/heavy sarc.

funky chicken on July 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Thank you for bringing it to our attention, Ed.

myrenovations on July 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I only got through 10 minutes of it watching it on hulu. background music drowns out the audio

offroadaz on July 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM

The guy they are after is a pretty scary dude. I don’t know how they kept their cool interviewing him.

@ntif@n on July 24, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Always funny to discover what issues worry the Post about blurring the lines between activism and journalism, isn’t it?

And you know, those Dove people have done some smart marketing over the past five years or so. Some people didn’t like their “real women” campaign because it was a little “too real” for their taste, but it was effective and the products are good for the price point.

BigD on July 24, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Ogabe: “What those Wanted guys did at Goucher College was stupid.”

Bishop on July 24, 2009 at 11:05 AM

So when is it on tv?

and

Just another bunch of guys persecuting minority professors, huh?

/heavy sarc.

funky chicken on July 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM

+100

scalleywag on July 24, 2009 at 11:09 AM

WRONG!

Best show you are not watching is Whale Wars. I am now openly rooting for the Japanese whalers against the smelly liberal evironmental wacko hippies. Clearly the network, Animal Planet is pro hippy and to be so and have them still come off looking so bad, I shudder to think what is left on the cutting room floor.

Trying to find an internet site that will take odds on the enviro terrorists sinking their own boat.

AndrewsDad on July 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM

There’s an epidemic of muslims raping Norwegian women; and a spate of honor killings in Norway.

And the Norwegian government is having the vapors over this scum’s rights?

What the hell is wrong with those people?

guntotinglibertarian on July 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I’m sorry to sound hard, but I still prefer a bullet apiece for such scum.

OldEnglish on July 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Time to go buy some Dove, I reckon.

Abby Adams on July 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Doesn’t look bad. However, Ed, for future reference, American SOF personnel are not “commandos”. A commando is a term for those foreigners, and their little special ops teams. Americans use terms like ‘special operators’, or just ‘operators’. I hate it, myself, because I prefer our forces remain distinct from foreigners’ forces.

As much as I don’t like Obama, his administration, nor most things he stands for (as they are mostly un-American). However, his policies of expanding extraordinary rendition is right on and straight from the Bush Doctrine. It’s got to be used to do the snatch and grab on these scumbags, and I hope these guys start disappearing, soon. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t mind one bit if at the end of these interviews, a special operator put a 10 mm bullet from a Colt Elite through their foreheads.

On camera.

Virus-X on July 24, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Their ratings would skyrocket if they went commando on their asses…!!!!

Ragspierre on July 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Thanks for this recommendation. I plan on looking this up after work today.

And I have to agree about Whale Wars – those idiots are lucky they haven’t been killed yet.

flyawaybird on July 24, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I am willing to look at something that could increase my respect of reporters. It’s going to be a tough sell though.

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I appreciate what these men have done for their country and are trying to do with this program but it felt kinda “teh ghey” to me the way they tried to make it dramatic and “reality” like. “Oslo? As in Nobel Peace prize?”

HadithHarry on July 24, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Note to self: Do not send my kids to Goucher College.

bluelightbrigade on July 24, 2009 at 11:22 AM

NBC?! NBC? I’ll have to see if I can find where that channel is.

kirkill on July 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM

And the Norwegian government is having the vapors over this scum’s rights?

What the hell is wrong with those people?

guntotinglibertarian on July 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM

As a Norwegian, I apologize for my government’s asinine policy towards Mullah Krekar.

To clarify, the Norwegian govermnent is currently run by pathetic socialists. However, there is a new election in September, and the party leading in the polls is a rightwing party; the Progress Party. This party supports extraditing Krekar, supports the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan, supports Israel, and is a strong ally of the United States.

Norwegian on July 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Norwegian on July 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Wow, the Norwegian Progress Party actually has their Progress pointed in the Right direction! As Progressives in the US are total commies.

kirkill on July 24, 2009 at 11:27 AM

You want real justice? Once located, assassinate them. European and international law is corrupt. Mass murderers get few years in prison. Then they are given a flat and a monthly stipend.

Blake on July 24, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Thank you for bringing it to our attention, Ed.

myrenovations on July 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Yes thanks Ed.

Crap! I have to work all day and won’t be able to watch it until I get home… looks great though.

Mr_Magoo on July 24, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I’ll wait for the episode where they track down the environmental terrorist Al Gore.

Rovin on July 24, 2009 at 11:30 AM

BigD on July 24, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Did this same moron criticize Sixty Minutes for spending the past forty years attacking private citizens (and later Republican Politicians)? I guess saying, “He refused to let us edit his comments, and is therefore guilty,” is the Washington Post’s idea of fair and even-handed journalism.

But now that somebody is finally pointing out the horrifically obvious – that there are people in the world who meet the definition of “true evil”, and are practicing it in the open – all of a sudden, that makes the Post’s red flags shoot up.

logis on July 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Ogabe: “What those Wanted guys did at Goucher College was stupid.”
Bishop on July 24, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Careful about what you say about America’s TV Producer-in-Chief, a role He will soon announce after he has quelled all disent of His assumption of America’s Police Chief.

Friendly21 on July 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Instead of wasting their time ambushing these people, wouldn’t their resources be better served by capturing bloggers who’ve said mean things about Bill O’Reilly?

YYZ on July 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM

“To clarify, the Norwegian govermnent is currently run by pathetic socialists“….Norwegian on July 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM

……And this is different than our current government how?

Rovin on July 24, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I worked with Roger Carstens on the McCain campaign. The guy kicks righteous ass, as you’d expect from a combined Delta/Ranger. Terrorists beware.

One Against Many on July 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Behold the WaPo commenter:

terrianda2 wrote:
Tom Shales , I think this show is just another propaganda machine for the U.S. Govt. I think the navy seals are just another blackwater , dyncor , triple canopy for hire mercenaries ( there is no honor or patriotism in what they do) I think who ever the U.S. says is a terrorist is now to be hunted down and killed . That is the agenda here. This is just another govt. sponsored witch hunt on whoever this govt says is a terrorist and if you go by how this govt chose its “terrorist ” for “gitmo” then that means 95% of the people they targeted were innocent or never charged. So your show is for the dim witted that are nothing but sheeples and cannot think or analyze for themselves.this show is nothing but guns for hire that we are so well known for . Just like sending our “terrorists” to Egypt or Turkey for torture.

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM

kirkill on July 24, 2009 at 11:27 AM

LOL, it is kind of misleading, more of a literal translation of the Norwegian name.

The party has a hard-core Libertarian platform on ecomonic policy (quotes Ayn Rand in the party platform); but is also very Pro War on Terror, anti-immigration.

They are currently the biggest Party in Norway, with over 30% support in recent polls. That makes them the biggest true rightwing party in Europe.

Norwegian on July 24, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Now that’s what I call “must see TV.”

manwithblackhat on July 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Tom Shales … worried about the blurring of lines between journalism and activism

Heh.

exception on July 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I watched it this week
ehhhhhhh

I’m glad the terrorists are not obscure Caucasians named mikhail and Gogol

But idk
it was kind if boring
and they kept trying to make up for it with SNAZZY fast camera movements that were constantly employed

I’ll give it time

blatantblue on July 24, 2009 at 11:52 AM

TiVo is set to record it next week.

ExUrbanKevin on July 24, 2009 at 11:57 AM

NBC?! NBC? I’ll have to see if I can find where that channel is.

I wouldn’t watch NBC if it was the only channel we had.

Kjeil on July 24, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I don’t understand Norway’s logic here. They agree that Mullak Krekar is a dangerous man to their country as well as others. However, out of fear that the Iraqi’s might give the man an unfair trial or torture him, they leave him free to live, work and enjoy life in Norway.

If you are so against the potential of the death penalty that you won’t extradite someone to stand trial, I suppose that’s your prerogative. There has to be some other alternative, however, that would allow for the person to be tried and imprisoned (if guilty) for their crimes rather than just left to his own devices.

JadeNYU on July 24, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I actually tuned into it on Sunday? Monday? night and could not believe I was watching something this well done on NBC! Decided to watch because there was basically nothing else on.

At first, I thought that it was just another fictional/topical show, just done with different camera angles and better actors.

tru2tx on July 24, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Was interesting and would watch again. However, the team needs some acting lessons as it seemed like I was watching Ghost Hunters.

jonkk on July 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM

It was an excellent story that was utterly ruined by an overly dramatized presentation made even worse with its distracting camera angles/motion. What could have been a simple but powerful documentary, was reduced to that which had the sense of a “trendy” American drama. With a subject as serious as this, I would say (As Gertrude said to Polonius): “More matter with less art.”

splatshot on July 24, 2009 at 12:10 PM

No HD = no sale

ScottMcC on July 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM

splatshot on July

thank you.

The camera crap needs to stop

OOH! *camera swing*
AHH!

blatantblue on July 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM

logis on July 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Norwegian on July 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM

The Europeans are waking up from their 40+ year slumber induced by their affair with socialists, at the same moment Americans go head over heels for…a socialist.

Hey, what will the “smart” media and hollyweird folks do when the “hip, cool” Europeans start to point and laugh at them?

funky chicken on July 24, 2009 at 1:00 PM

tru2tx on July 24, 2009 at 12:03 PM

jonkk on July 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Interesting juxtaposition. Blame it on CSI:every American city….I finally watched on of those shows this summer and was blown away by the cheesiness. How on earth is it so popular?

funky chicken on July 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Is the Washington Post that worries about blurring journalism and activism the same Washington Post that brought down Nixon? I know journalists are not partisan hypocrites so it must be me who’s confused.

Tantor on July 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Not a bad show, but they need a cameraman who doesn’t shake the camera on purpose. Stupid.

Also, I’d like to see the guys beat the crap out of the terrorist instead of sitting there getting insulted.

tommuck on July 24, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I caught the show too and was very impressed.

matd on July 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I’m trying to watch it on Hulu, but the music is really loud, and the voices are really low, makes it hard to watch.

Rebar on July 24, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I dislike the reference to Sen. Joe Mc Carthy in a negative tone. Although the left and most of Hollywood despises him, in the end he was proven more than correct about the subversive Communist activities in academia and Hollywood.
I’d say give our current President and Democratic Party, he’s damn near a prophet.

Jeff from WI on July 24, 2009 at 2:18 PM

offroadaz on July 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Yeah, the style is the reason and/or excuse for all the bad reviews, and I understand that. The editors who put the final thing together stand in the way of it being a great show, but can’t hide the content. I’d heard of Ansar al-Islam, but had no idea its founder was in Europe, not Iraq.

Jeff from WI on July 24, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Even if McCarthy’s instincts were correct, his methods were dishonest, slimy, and contrary to American values, as Murrow, among others, showed. In the end, such methods did more harm to the anti-Communist case than good. He deserves his negative assessment.

calbear on July 24, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I nominate this for today’s kneeslapper!

drunyan8315 on July 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Munyakazi:…I’ll talk to your mama outside!

dont taze me bro on July 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM

A teachable video of what lies ahead for America and the rest of the globe. The very Freedom and Liberty!, is what is at the cross hairs of these red doper diaper babies.

hawkman on July 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Norwegian on July 24, 2009 at 11:41 AM

And their party head (And perhaps soon-to-be-prime-minster), Siv Jensen, is the Norwegian equivilant of Sarha Palin – another “Iron Lady of the North”.

Rod on July 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM

The Wanted is without a doubt the best show on TV right now. “24″ meets “The West Wing”.

Gosh, what would I give, Aspergers’, PTSD and all, to join these troopers. G*d bless ‘em!

HotAirJosef on July 24, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Ed, thanks for pointing the show out and promoting it, it’s great!

I agree with the posters who don’t like the production style, but so what. Posters here know Mullah Krekar and his situation in Norway, and know it’s bizarre that Norway’s government seems to be happy to be a lawful “useful idiot” to someone who wants to destroy Norwegian values and laws.

But young people don’t know that.

This show might engage young people so they know what they face in the future. It also might embarrass the Norwegian government enough to cause it to deport Krekar.

I’m all for the show and I’m going to support its sponsors.

Policindep on July 24, 2009 at 3:49 PM

From NBC?

Perhaps I’ll start a pool, place your guess on when NBC turns this show against:

1) Sarah Palin

2) Any other Conservative

RJL on July 24, 2009 at 5:00 PM

The best show on terrorism that you’ve probably never seen is season one of Showtime’s “Sleeper Cell.”

But regarding The Wanted… Hulu’s copy has terrible audio. NBC.com is fine. That being said, I want my 43 minutes back. I wanted this show to be good. I really did, and if it were simply a documentary, I’m sure I would have enjoyed it more. I think I’m on the same page as most of you when it comes to the outrage-factor… But just because the issue is captivating and anger-inspiring does not make this a “quality” show. Frankly, these guys are not actors, so I hope that the brief parts with rehearsed dialogue and cheesy one-liners don’t continue past the pilot episode. I also don’t see the production value behind this gritty, spastic, Bourne Identity-esque camera work. Out of focus super- close-ups with these split second shots before jumping to another angle, then another, then another, then another… this style doesn’t add to the tension, it’s just distracting and unnecessary. They’re in Jordan, Iraq, and Norway… you might think they would consider zooming out and letting the viewers see something other than HD close-ups of skin moles…

Medicated on July 24, 2009 at 5:05 PM

…But then there’s “The Letter.” A letter from the “nephew of the President”/ Counter Terrorism Head Honcho guaranteeing that no harm will come to Oslo’s favorite Jihadi once returned to Iraq for trial. It’s a laughable, non-binding, non-diplomatic document from someone with absolutely no authority to make such a guarantee. He can assure them of no torture in his custody, but he cannot make assurances that he will not be sentenced to Death once tried –as he most certainly would be, and justifiably so. Still, “The Letter” is arrogantly waved around like it’s signed by the hand of God, and the show makes a ludicrous assertion that by giving the silly thing to the Norwegians, they single-handedly lifted the only roadblock to Mullah Krekar’s extradition. They make it seem as though the Norwegian Government has no excuse anymore, but the “Reality” is that nothing has changed. Iraq’s last execution was in April 2008… If it is the death penalty status of Iraq that prevents Norway from extraditing, can anyone tell me what has changed in that regard since Norway addressed this in 2003? Oh that’s right… the Iraqi President’s nephew wrote a letter… the scene feigning worry over delivery of the letter… what a joke. I mean, these guys make reference to the progress in the judicial system in Iraq, but the fact remains: Iraq practices capital punishment. It’s overtly arrogant, and (for a show that’s pursuing justice) even a bit hypocritical, to insist that the laws and wishes of a peaceful sovereign nation be ignored. Oh wait… “At the end of the day, the rule of law is more powerful than the rule of the gun.” They should have highlighted the absurdity of the Norwegian government’s position, but that’s where it stops. Can anyone of you honestly believe that their “expert” thought this letter would actually clear the path to extradition? It served no purpose other than to provide “gotcha” embarrassment to the Norwegians interviewed, and it’s a move that only some moron in a TV studio dreams up. Do you think that our own government would ever stake such a high-profile case on a non-binding, non-diplomatic letter? I’m not saying that the extradition situation isn’t patently absurd, but the last thing I want to see in this show is NBC reality-tv producers playing State Department on foreign soil.

Sleeper Cell…. Watch it.

Medicated on July 24, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Just heard of Goucher College for the first time yesterday reading a bio of Jonah Goldberg. I bet he’s not happy with the faculty choices of his alma mater. O’course, it puts them right up there with Columbia and other bastions of “multicultural understanding.”

evergreen on July 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM

They need to find a better cameraman that doesn’t try to move ever few seconds.

ViperPilot on July 24, 2009 at 9:31 PM

“He’s hiding in Oslo, Norway.”
“You mean “Nobel Peace Prize” Noway?”

Uhhh. Isn’t the Nobel Peace prize awarded by the King of Sweeden? In Stokholm?

Rightwingguy on July 24, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Oh something that is also kind of funny is as they are introducing people, they say “such and such is a former Green Beret. Here’s him looking cool shooting an automatic rifle. Such and such is a former Navy SEAL, he also can look awesome shooting an automatic rifle.”

AndrewsDad on July 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I agree. Except I’m rooting for the people on the Steve Irwin, the “Sea Shepards”. They are hilarious. I remember one episode where they were going to use their RHIB to lay a prop-snare down in front of the main ship. The agreed upon go-word was “Tora Tora Tora” to deploy the snare. The people in the RHIB forgot and launched their chemical hand grenades instead. Oh and they tried deploying it 3 times and failed horribly. God bless them hippies.

Rightwingguy on July 24, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Is this actual journalism or some kind of crazed commando reportage?

Crazed commando journalism would be a serious improvement over the boot liking pansy journalism that seems to be so prevalent these days.

bitsy on July 25, 2009 at 8:56 AM

DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER CROSSOVER/TIE-IN.

Reaps on July 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM