Obama: The Gates clusterfark is a “teachable moment” or something

posted at 3:25 pm on July 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

So it is — and like CJ says, there’s one very special guy in particular who should be learning from it. Six minutes here of what I can only describe as a tour de force of ObamaSpeak: Long-winded, excruciatingly politic and platitudinous, amounting to nothing more, really, than “there are two sides to every story” and “race relations are sensitive and complex.” No apology, either. In fact, this reminds me of the two-step he pulled when the Wright story broke big last year. His first statement was a pander to his base to score cheap political points (“I can’t disown Wright,” the Cambridge cops behaved “stupidly”); then it blew up in his face and he shifted into damage-control mode as Barack the Centrist (“This is not the Jeremiah Wright I thought I knew,” Crowley’s a great cop). Here’s an idea: The next time you’re pressed on a matter of racial controversy, how about eschewing the knee-jerk defense of demagoguery right off the bat, champ?

Credit where it’s due, though: He couldn’t have come up with a better distraction from the developing ObamaCare debacle if he tried.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Apparently this pontificating bag of wind has never heard the phrase “Economy of Words”.

This guy uses words like he spends our money: needlessly and endlessly.

pain train on July 24, 2009 at 5:19 PM

It’s brilliant to say something stupid in order to distract from the stupid policy Obama’s promoting?

I know what would distract me and that’s if this inane jackass would say something remotely intelligent and stop lying for just one moment.

NoDonkey on July 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM

It goes further back than that and it’s about more than color. Two words: Sandy Burglar.

baldilocks on July 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Yep. That one fell in Bush’s lap. But, then, Bush always had problems prosecuting Americans for treason and harmful acts against the United States. The fact that he let The WaPo and New York Slimes get away with publishing classified information that injured our national security was part of what allowed the MSM to start running wild with anything that popped into their pea-brains and America-hating hearts.

progressoverpeace on July 24, 2009 at 5:31 PM

This guy uses words like he spends our money: needlessly and endlessly.

pain train on July 24, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I agree.

He’s going to be a miser of our carbon use, that’s for sure.
–just not his

ted c on July 24, 2009 at 5:37 PM

pain train brings up a great point. As I was pontificantly on the last few days of the Won’s exposure, I have come to believe that this guy must be a female. Females have to spend like 10,000 words a day—whereas guys only need about 17–and those are scratch, beer, sex, sleep and HotAir.

ted c on July 24, 2009 at 5:39 PM

–er, pontificating… sorry

ted c on July 24, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I am sorry but the whole quote “I could have calibrated those words differently” is really a poor way to say that he should have chosen his word with more care. I honestly do not know any people who would use such an odd word to say such a simple thought.

JKotthoff on July 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM

JKotthoff on July 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM

It’s because he’s trying to sound smart and save face now that the country is waking up to the fact that he is either stupid, racist, or hates this country.

MobileVideoEngineer on July 24, 2009 at 5:45 PM

It’s not a ‘distraction’

It’s an ADDITION: a “Two-fer”

Obama comes off as a Total Jerk who doesn’t understand the first thing about health care, and a bitter-angry race-baiting Total Jerk.

people love those two-for-one offers………..

Janos Hunyadi on July 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Probably said somewhere else but I’m too ticked to go back and check:

* “These are two decent people”. . .what evidence does he offer that Gates is decent? He says himself earlier that the officer involved is a fine ol’ gent (which is a great thing to do after you’ve already dragged his reputation through hell in prime-time), but what evidence does he offer that Gates is anything but a bigot looking to make a big deal out of nothing?

* Gates “probably” over-reacted. . .but for the police there’s no probably about it. They over-reacted, plain and simple. This from a man who has never once walked a beat. I got news for you, sir and everybody else out there like you: you yell at a cop to his face, you should expect to get hauled downtown. Period. It’s called disorderly conduct. It may not end up in an arrest in 99.9% of cases, but you shouldn’t be surprised when it comes back to get you.

* Race will continue to be an issue in this country until we start taking to task those who use the sensitivity of the issue as a weapon. Gates made this about race in the aftermath of the arrest, and Obama did today. There is still no evidence that the officer EVER thought this was about race. Police officer relations with their communities is not a minority issue to anyone but those trying to turn it into one. This “teachable moment” is not about race as much as it is about the world of academia making you completely unaware of what the rest of the world is about.

I hope the officer takes the professor for all he’s worth in a defamation suit.

johnny alpha on July 24, 2009 at 5:59 PM

All I could think through this stupid, stupid story was “what’s the other hand doing?”

spmat on July 24, 2009 at 6:01 PM

spmat:
they’re trying to bury the Obamacare corpse with the other hand.

ted c on July 24, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Anyone else take note of Obamas comment about “his” lawn?
Silly me I thought it was our lawn. I guess it just goes to show that I am not as think as I smart I am.

stacy on July 24, 2009 at 6:06 PM

But…but…but…he’s a GENIUS! Look at the way he said, “I could have calibrated those words differently.” George Bush could never have approached that eloquence. But of course he was just a dunce.

Christian Conservative on July 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM

How do you calibrate “they acted stupidly” differently without giving the impression that you didn’t know what “they acted stupidly” meant.

he should have just said, “I’m sorry. I spoke to soon out of my own feelings for my friend. I fully support both my friend and the fine officers of the CPD, especially Officer Crowley whom I maligned unintentionally.”

Of course he wouldn’t mean it…but at least…

…aw, who the f**k cares?

bluelightbrigade on July 24, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Christian Conservative on July 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM

remember when Bush said “I was wrong” about his failing Iraq strategy? And then he changed his strategy?

me, too.

i miss having a real president.

bluelightbrigade on July 24, 2009 at 6:15 PM

A “teachable moment” a teachable MOMENT…. A TEACHABLE MOMENT!

Sure, try this on for size. How about teaching your friend that when an officer of the law comes around looking for some ID he starts jumping through hoops and getting that hot little thing out of his wallet like toot sweet? How’s that for teaching. How about shutting his fricking pie hole when the guy is trying to get to the bottom of an issue which he was under the impression was a breaking and entering. How about a “yes sir, yes sir, three bags full” and thank him for coming to check out your sorry house.

Now, Mr. President–how about you start by minding your damn business and once you step into something, DO NOT turn right around and think you’re in any position to teach any of us a damn thing. As it goes, the only thing you’re teaching is exactly how NOT to be a president–that for sure you’re writing the book on—and we’re seeing that it’ll probably be the only story that you’re writing all by your damn self.

Cops are heroes, they protect us. Professors are egotistical bastards and they do nothing for us.

Get with the program– you and the professor you rode in on.

ted c on July 24, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I predict this is going to tank his personal approval rating. The mask is off of his narcissistic race-baiting.

The disastrous policies of the Dems are going to be tied squarely not just to Pelosi and Reid, but also to Obama with this fiasco.

INC on July 24, 2009 at 6:22 PM

So let’s see. It’s not enough that America elects a inexperienced, unskilled black man as President. Now we’ve got to get a lecture about the black man being picked on again. Once and for all shut up, no one cares, it’s getting old QUIT WHINING, grow up BE A MAN.

Jeff from WI on July 24, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Janos Hunyadi on July 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Yes, I agree.

This isn’t a distraction, this is just highlighting who he is.

INC on July 24, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I had my words calibrated last week but I still have to jimmy jigger them a little when I’m going through doors.

Rational Thought on July 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM

FIFY

atheling on July 24, 2009 at 6:26 PM

thats great quote about jiggerin’ your words. funny–

ted c on July 24, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Allahpundit:So it is — and like CJ says, there’s one very special guy in particular who should be learning from it.

Yes, this is a “teachable moment.” But more importantly, it is a great opportunity for learning. And yes, Charles Johnson is absolutely correct. President Obama is not learning anything from this “teachable moment.”

Loxodonta on July 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Obama On The Phone w/ Officer Crowley: “Hey, sorry about that “racist cop” thing. Whaddya say me, you , and that black guy who wanted to talk to your mama outside get together for a beer at the White House?”

I’m sure Officer Crowley is clearing his schedule as we speak.

David2.0 on July 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM

“I could have calibrated those words differently”…i.e. “How am I going to lie my ass out of this mess”?

Anyone that listens to this fool and believes him is a sheep, pure and simple.

kirkill on July 24, 2009 at 6:58 PM

If the press conference went well (if he thought he performed well), do another healthcare question. If it didn’t, change the topic to something else.

It didn’t go well, so the topic got changed.

lorien1973 on July 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM

That’s a very interesting observation, especially given Rahm Emanuel’s announcement that the House will indeed be voting on Obamacare before the recess. However, Obama’s initial statement on this matter, followed by the reaction, followed by Barry’s comments here, will contribute to the erosion in his support. On this issue, Obama’s mask slipped off, and many people have seen the leftist elitist that Barry really is for the first time. That’s quite a cost to pay to change the subject.

Loxodonta on July 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Loxodonta on July 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM

But at least it is a “cost” the American people can get on board with!!

stacy on July 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM

This dufus has no problems going around the world apologizing for America, but simply is unable to say “sorry” when he stacks one up himself.

Wyznowski on July 24, 2009 at 7:32 PM

I feel sorry for the folks that got swindled by a Chicago politician.

Key West Reader on July 24, 2009 at 4:45 PM

This is a learning opportunity for those who were fooled by the mask with which Barry and the MSM covered Obama. But learning is often very painful. That’s why so many avoid it.

Loxodonta on July 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Tonight, on a very special Live From the White House… Obama jumps the shark…

RalphyBoy on July 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM

gosh, it’s been like 5-6 hours now and I haven’t heard from Obama on livefeed…. Aren’t we overdue…?

ted c on July 24, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Even Biden is Laughing…

RalphyBoy on July 24, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Hillary is in hysterics and Bill is celebrating by doing a double header!

RalphyBoy on July 24, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Oh please please please, release it.

Scrappy on July 24, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Officials mull release of recorded evidence

Mull? why mull–hell, just mull it equally long as Obama did before he called cops stupid. Then, get that gold out here fools.

ted c on July 24, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Paintrain:

economy of words = poetry (actually the phrase is “economy of expression”) either way, you are correct. Bambi never seems to know when to shut up, stay in and actually get some work done.

Willie on July 24, 2009 at 7:58 PM

MobileVideoEngineer:

It is all three: stupid, racist and an America hater. You hit the jackpot

Willie on July 24, 2009 at 8:01 PM

The Race Card on July 24, 2009

As usual, your comments on this issue have been very insightful. I wish you’d broaden your posting topics. You are one of many Hot Air posters with whom I would love to have a long conversation. Just as long as there was no switching and caning involved. Speaking of which:

Harvard must be very proud of this retard.

progressoverpeace on July 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Please refrain from using offensive slurs.

The Race Card on July 24, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Dear Shirley: Nearly every pot calls the kettle black once in a while:

But I will say this. I personally feel that Gates is a pussy.

The Race Card on July 24, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Sometimes, words aren’t meant to offend. And I apologize for calling you on it, surely.

Loxodonta on July 24, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Well that hand of the race card diversion wasn’t much fun so Obama will need to move on quickly to another round of smoke and mirrors- especially now that he has most likely heard rumor pretty much Gates entire raving lunatic rant which started the incident leading to his arrest was recorded… Darn now where did that tape go??? :)

wubu on July 24, 2009 at 8:51 PM

You should be caned in Thailand for tragic sentence structure.

The Race Card on July 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM

As a child, too much Yoda this one had.

BobMbx on July 24, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Any body language experts: why does Obama spin his hand when he talks?

DarkCurrent on July 24, 2009 at 4:24 PM

He’s probably rolling through the teleprompter in his head with the prepared answers he has memorized on it. Seriously.

LibTired on July 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM

He justifies his commenting on the story because it has become such a big issue. The reason it has become such a big story is because of his stupid comment. Dear Mr. President, see how that works?

BTW, who the eff says that they need to “recalibrate” their words?

Mallard T. Drake on July 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM

countdown to “Not the man I knew”

RightWinged on July 24, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Racism has gotten worse since the election and this situation – well it ain’t gonna make it better! Obama showed a true lack of character in this matter.

sherryande on July 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM

The last minute’s comedy gold. Would that our President had been as careful and soliticious on Wednesday for the protection of Crowley’s good name and reputation as he appears to be today for the grass on his lawn.

inviolet on July 25, 2009 at 12:52 AM

soliticious = solicitous

inviolet on July 25, 2009 at 12:55 AM

So he “calibrates” his words for our consumption. Somehow, actually, I always knew this.

“Calibrating his words” — the mark of a dissembler.

Edouard on July 25, 2009 at 3:04 AM

…so how exactly did he get the nickname “Captain Bullshit”?

uptight on July 25, 2009 at 4:07 AM

ChickaBOOMer — Obama: “Race is still a troubling aspect of our society.”

StewartIII on July 25, 2009 at 7:22 AM

You cannot have a “teachable moment” on the back of a white police officer who was just doing his job.

Let’s lay odds on the prospect of the tapes being released now that they are being “reviewed” by many who probably wish they would just disappear. Are they in the realm of “public record”?

oldoldbabs on July 25, 2009 at 9:20 AM

JKotthoff

He used “calibrate” because that’s the word he hears everyday from the White House techs, as they upload TOTUS.

scituate_tgr on July 25, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Good advice from Chris Rock:

patch on July 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Poor Gates. Lives in a seriously racist society:

Gates Mayor is a black female.
Gates Governor is black.
Cambridge Police Commissioner is black.
His president (pardon the expression) is black.

And he has risen to the dept chair position of a world renowned university. Poor Gates. He is so freakin picked on and stereotyped and profiled. Screw you scum bag!!!!!

highninside on July 25, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Hey Cash for CLunkers. Go out and get a frsh loan for a car. Great idea thats going to backfire when the job numbers dont improve.

johnnyU on July 25, 2009 at 12:28 PM

“…the country is waking up to the fact that he is either stupid, racist, or hates this country.”

“…the country is waking up to the fact that he is either stupid, racist, or and hates this country.”

Fixed it.

drunyan8315 on July 25, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Calibrate differently? Got a micometer for your tongue? C’mon, Skippy.

jorb on July 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Still thought the most telling moment was when Gibbs came on after and was asked about the fact that these questions are previewed prior to the press conference. Knowing that, why would the President still use the term “stupidly” when he knew the question was coming?

Gibbs completely avoided the entire question and said he couldn’t get into the President’s thoughts.

Then what the hell are you doing up there, you tool?!?!?!

ajsleepy on July 25, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Maybe Barry will take this “teachable moment” to learn to shut his mouth until he has FACTS.

redfoxbluestate on July 25, 2009 at 3:17 PM

If he truly understood racism he’d realize it goes both ways . . .
I guess the white man isn’t worthy of an apology.

Ingenue on July 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM

JKotthoff on July 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Apparently, you don’t know any lawyers. I’m happy for you. Washington, DC is overloaded with lawyers, and that is the root of our problems. We need more substance (Engineers), and less bullshit (lawyers)–IMHO.

chipandcharge on July 25, 2009 at 6:35 PM

A recently elected black president, lecturing American about race?

Is this an episode of the Twilight Zone?

Partisan on July 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

That’s right, it’s the presses fault that I’m an idiot and lost without TOTUS. Nice one Barry.

stuartm650 on July 26, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Thats right sir, It was a “teachable moment”. It taught me once again how unqualified you are for the job.

oped01 on July 26, 2009 at 4:08 AM