Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on July 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I understand that the national average for attention spans continue to drop every year, but we expect more out of a President, don’t we?  At the very least, the top man should be able to recall his opening statement during the entirety of his own press conferences.  Barack Obama offered this during the last part of his opening statement:

I understand how easy it is for this town to become consumed in the game of politics – to turn every issue into running tally of who’s up and who’s down.  I’ve heard that one Republican strategist told his party that even though they may want to compromise, it’s better politics to “go for the kill.”  Another Republican Senator said that defeating health reform is about “breaking” me.

So let me be clear:  This isn’t about me.  I have great health insurance, and so does every Member of Congress.  This debate is about the letters I read when I sit in the Oval Office every day, and the stories I hear at town hall meetings.

Just a few minutes later, Obama insisted that he wasn’t blaming Republicans:

OBAMA: “You haven’t seen me out there blaming the Republicans.”

No, we saw you up there blaming Republicans.  Even the AP scoffed at that assertion:

THE FACTS: Obama did so in his opening statement, saying, “I’ve heard that one Republican strategist told his party that even though they may want to compromise, it’s better politics to ‘go for the kill.’ Another Republican senator said that defeating health reform is about ‘breaking’ me.”

By the way, for a bonus Obamateurism, Jake Tapper reported that the White House meant the “Republican strategist” description for William Kristol, the editor of the Weekly Standard and a pundit — who hasn’t been a party strategist since he stopped working for Dan Quayle in 1993.

Addendum: Normally I’d put a link to Chris Muir’s Day by Day site here, but today I want to do more than that. Chris has a fundraising drive to keep his excellent cartoon alive.  Be sure to drop a few dollars in his collection to keep one of the Rightosphere’s most talented warriors in the fight!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

As the mom of three ADHD children, what Obama has is not ADHD. It is really an allergy to making truthful statements, with a mixture of full of sh@t mixed in.

TXMomof3 on July 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Thanks for the link.

ProfessorMiao on July 23,2009 at 9:08AM.

ProfessorMiao: Your welcome:)

canopfor on July 23, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Why not make the whole pointless presser the Obamateurism?

DDT on July 23, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Obama is the Great Divider.

JohnJ on July 23, 2009 at 9:35 AM

“I guess this is my house now,” he remarked of the White House. “Here I’d get shot.”

NO – it’s not YOUR house Mr. President – it’s just where you stay. The house belongs to the people of the USA.

poppieseeds on July 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM

That bothered me, too. I was all upset yelling at the tv and pausing it to go off on a rant to my husband. He absolutely loves to watch Obama speak with me!

TXMomof3 on July 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

TXMomof3 on July 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM

As the father of one child, now an adult, with a mild case of ADD, I can say that you, TXMomof3, must be a saint. Bless you. Your days must be fraught with chaos.

You’re right, by the way, Obumble has HPD – Hyper-Prevaracation Disorder…he can’t keep his stories straight because he is a liar and a narcissist. It IS all about him.

Jarhead68 on July 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Jarhead68 on July 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Life is never boring at our house. With the girls, it is not too bad. With my seven year old boy, Lord help us all! He will be the death of me, the school must have my work number on speed dial. He is sweet and loving, but he cannot sit still and be quiet to save his life.

TXMomof3 on July 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Not surprising at all, and probably doesn’t qualify under your usual criteria as an Obamatuerism.

As a Progressive, i.e. a radical subjectivist, what’s true is only whatever he happens to have in his mind at the time it’s present. The next ‘thought’ five minutes later is equally ‘true’ because he says it. To such a person, there’s no such thing as a fact ‘out there’ that persists and is true for all observers.

JDPerren on July 23, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Obamateurism (amateurism) is the product of ignorance and inexperience merging into a moron moment. Generally, it is not the product of outright stupidity (often confused with ignorance) or blatant dishonesty. Those are character flaws.

SKYFOX on July 23, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Hey, give Barry a break! It’s hard to keep track when you’ll telling so many lies at one time.

GarandFan on July 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM

This is not about me, it is about my presidency! See the difference plumber man?

jukin on July 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Obama’s constant pressers are undermining his normal spellbinding oratory. Not only has HE become overexposed, but his lies, distortions, cliché’s and empty rhetoric have become overexposed. People are becoming immune to his B.S. and it has become painfully obvious that the emperor has no mom jeans.

Star20 on July 23, 2009 at 11:35 AM

For me, the big takeaway moment of the event was when Obama accused the Cambridge Police of acting “stupidly” for arresting a Harvard prof — immediately after saying (twice) that he didn’t know what actually happened.

cruadin on July 23, 2009 at 11:44 AM

More LIES from the Obfuscator in Chief:

While blaming Bush and Republicans, on one hand, for the “mess” he inherited, Barry continues to take credit for deficit reduction.

From The Washington Examiner:

If we had done nothing, if you had the same old budget as opposed to the changes we made, the deficit over the next 10 years would be $2.2 trillion greater, the president said.

In fact, $1.5 trillion of those ‘savings’ are mainly based on an assumption that the United States would have had as many troops in Iraq in 10 years as it did when Mr. Obama took office. But before leaving office, President George W. Bush signed an agreement with Baghdad mandating the withdrawal of all American forces within three years.

So Mr. Obama is claiming credit for not spending money that, under the policy he inherited from Mr. Bush, would never have been spent in the first place.

Barb Dwyer on July 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

(a) How many presidential candidates have shown their actual birth certificates?

(b) Then “showing” his birth certificate wouldn’t answer the birthers, would it?

…..
ProfessorMiao on July 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM

How many major-party presidential candidates were born from a teenage mother and a foreign national, and lived several years as children in a foreign country?

Your analogue is not analogous, if you will. That is, it does no good to make a comparison to previous presidential candidates if the comparison is that strained.

Which completely undermines the second question, since it was based on the first.

Questioning whether Obama is truly a “natural born citizen” is completely reasonable. I suspect the only real issue here is whether people do or don’t accept the birth certificate presented as valid. Since the only one available is only available as an image online, it’s pretty much useless for settling the question.

Ordinarily, though, you would just take it at face value. But the fact that Obama has spent close to a million dollars preventing any real examination of the issue lends weight to all sorts of speculation.

The whole birth certificate thing is ultimately Obama’s own fault. He’s tried to hide too many things about himself, and that makes people very, very suspicious.

tom on July 23, 2009 at 11:57 AM

There were dozens of Obamateurisms in that one press conference.

Alana on July 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Obama: I’m not blaming the republicans, but if I were…

ConservadorRebelde on July 23, 2009 at 12:35 PM

tom on July 23, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Most transparent admin evah.

ConservadorRebelde on July 23, 2009 at 12:43 PM

tom on July 23, 2009 at 11:57 AM

If all of the (mainstream) intelligent analysis is accurate, and,assuming there is a birth certificate, what is that man hiding? Nobody gets past the newspaper ads, the COLB and some vague statements by officials to the very weirdness of his actions. I am holding my breath for someone to ask him: “Why spend all the money on the birth certificate defense?”.

IlikedAUH2O on July 23, 2009 at 2:00 PM

IlikedAUH2O on July 23, 2009 at 2:00 PM

That is indeed the question. What he’s hiding may have little or nothing to do with being a natural born citizen. But he’s hiding something.

tom on July 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I have great health insurance, and so does every Member of Congress. This debate is about the letters I read when I sit in the Oval Office every day, and the stories I hear at town hall meetings.

That quote could be another Obamateurism all by itself! Chris Dodd said much the same thing this morning on one of the morning shows.

Why do these pols think they deserve a better plan that what they propose for the public?? It’s time for a grass roots effort calling for government employees to be in the same plans they have for us. No exclusion from Social Security. No pension plan that doesn’t come from their own funds subject to the same limits as ERISA plans. And they get to participate in the same health plan as the public, too.

EconomicNeocon on July 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I think it’s disgusting…. why isn’t Obama producing a birth certificate? Because he was born in Kenya! that’s why! Regardless, this post is pretty weak tbh.

RufusW on July 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM

TXMomof3 on July 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM

In other words, he has Clintonitus!

landlines on July 23, 2009 at 5:47 PM

The Real Crisis here, Mr. President, is that you aren’t supposed to be the Santa Claus that sits in the White House responding to every letter out of the largesse of the nation’s pantry.

Your job is to be a custodian, a steward if you will, of the engine that drives the machinery that fills the pantry. If you had ever been a part of the engine, or even a military defender of the engine, you would understand the importance of the engine, which by and large doesn’t take time to write letters to Santa Claus.

Many minorites are “proud” (ref. to Madam Senator Boxer) to be a part of the engine, so your missing respect for the engine clearly isn’t racial in origin; it’s personal.

rwenger43 on July 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM