Obama to GOP on fiscal criticism: Have you no shame?

posted at 6:08 pm on July 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler, a new treat from a guy known to publicly congratulate himself for not scapegoating Republicans after scapegoating them on national television literally minutes before. What grates about this isn’t the buck-passing — that’s politics — but his punctuating the buck-passing with a statement of “the buck stops here” faux responsibility. He wants the authority of the presidency but not the political consequences of his policy choices, which is why he’s spinning it as illegitimate and hypocritical for the GOP to criticize him on the economy even though (a) his deficit this year will end up being four to five times larger than the worst deficit under Bush, (b) the stimulus never would have been passed by a Republican Congress, and (c) he dishonestly frames his pet statist programs as Keynesian “solutions” that were forced on him by the Bush-governed economic downturn rather than as the Great Society pillars he’s been planning all along. Bush supported TARP, ergo Republicans are on the hook for all $23.7 trillion of The One’s budget-busting programs. See how that works?

Below Obama’s shameless “no shame” moment you’ll find a surprisingly effective clip of GOP Rep. Tom Price answering his scapegoating of Republicans on health care. Overwhelming blue majorities in both houses of Congress and somehow it’s still our fault. Exit question: I thought the economy had been “rescued” already. Why the sour grapes from The One?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

hey Ogabe you were up there in the Senate pssing all this spending….

speaking of shame

sven10077 on July 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Obama was in the Senate since 2004 and Democrats ran the Congress since 2006. Where were you sir!

rob verdi on July 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM

The era of new responsibility and just feel the unity!

rob verdi on July 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Wow. Go Tom Price. Smart and speaks well.

JiangxiDad on July 23, 2009 at 6:15 PM

(b) the stimulus never would have been passed by a Republican Congress

Yeah, I used to believe that too.

Fletch54 on July 23, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Imagine if this guy was president on 9/11? Think skin weakling who whines as the first true roadblock.

rob verdi on July 23, 2009 at 6:15 PM

thin skin

rob verdi on July 23, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Hope and change, baby!

Rightwingguy on July 23, 2009 at 6:16 PM

At this point we really need to encourage him to keep talking. The BS meter hits the redline just on a mention of his name now.

elduende on July 23, 2009 at 6:16 PM

He is Pinnochionot – He becomes smaller with every word he utters…

singlemalt_18 on July 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Been a tough week for him. I’ll bet the lowest ratings ever for his Wed nite snoozefest made him twitch.

a capella on July 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM

What an asshat.

rockmom on July 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. I really don’t mind the liberal part, I mean, of course I don’t like it, but it’s liberalism. I hate seeing him talk anywhere, it just enrages me, and that’s not real normal. Then I realized what really ticks me off is seeing him lie through his damn teeth about something he said five seconds before. I mean, does he really think that fools people?

John_Locke on July 23, 2009 at 6:18 PM

The GOP might as well be shameless look at the prime example we’ve been given.

The Pres. either lied his @ss off or stuck his foot in his mouth all last night so why not?

Speakup on July 23, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Seems I remember Nanny Pillosi shaking her fist at the congress to pass TARP, the genesis of the skyrocketing deficit.

Beto Ochoa on July 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM

As Breitbart says: “He’s doubling down on stupid.” So who is the real idiot?

As O’Reilly says: “Trying to justify bad behavior with bad behavior.”

As my mother says: “Two wrongs don’t make a right.”

Mallard T. Drake on July 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Mr Obama do you know how to do anything but blame others?

thmcbb on July 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM

John_Locke on July 23, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I suspect that he’s learned through years of experience that his lies will not catch up with him.

But he’s reached the level at which a rude awakening may be coming.

Remember the kid from school who lied habitually, didn’t seem to get that it wasn’t okay, but never faced any real consequences?

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Why the sour grapes from The One?

We’re going to need a Hot Air commenter who’s also a psychiatrist to tell us what happens when a narcissist finds that his mirrors are shattered and reality is breaking through.

INC on July 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Mallard T. Drake on July 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM

As my momma says “Stuck on stupid.”

Rightwingguy on July 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Liar, liar, pants on fire. How does ‘that one’ sleep at night?

Monica on July 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM

INC on July 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM

He’ll switch from ‘Hope and Change’ to ‘Excuses and Blame.’

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Mr. President needs a PR person who will advise him to take a break from his rhetoric. Go to the office, do some work. Quit standing in front of the cameras spouting off half-truths and laying the blame game and calling cops stupid.

scalleywag on July 23, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Just watched the first clip: WTF. He’s at another townhall. Doesn’t this clown ever work?!

Mallard T. Drake on July 23, 2009 at 6:23 PM

He’ll switch from ‘Hope and Change’ to ‘Excuses and Blame.’

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I think we may see increasing bitterness and accusation.

INC on July 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Keep talking champ, and you will be galloping off to an early retirement. Speaking of Gallup, the lastest approval numbers are at a new low, and the disapprovals at a new high.

ICBM on July 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

John_Locke on July 23, 2009 at 6:18 PM

But he’s reached the level at which a rude awakening may be coming.

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM

But it won’t happen until the Media calls him out on it….

pseudonominus on July 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Mallard T. Drake on July 23, 2009 at 6:23 PM

well, he does read tons and tons of letters from americans with heathcare sob stories. is that work?

Ghoul aid on July 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Hubris aside this means something…

He’s on the ropes and he KNOWS it…

Skywise on July 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

This is great. Obama is slowly learning taht you can’t put a polish on a turd. (Well Mythbusters proved that you could, but…).

Rightwingguy on July 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I especially like the “look at the crowd behind me, they support me” effect.

Gotta love the guys shameless use of people as props for his Marxist policies, he is a real piece of work.

Joe Pyne on July 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM

scalleywag on July 23, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I doubt anyone among his advisers has that much wisdom.

Not only does the emperor have no clothes, he seems to lack advisers with any common sense or honesty.

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Someone in Washington should tell Barry O that no one likes a whiner. Or a liar. Guess we’ll be the recipient of more ‘politics of fear EMERGENCY’ for the next two weeks.

Wonder how Nancy and Harry are taking those phone calls from The One. “YOU failed ME!” Got to be some repercussions there. They damned well know that if the congress members go home for vacation, they’re going to get an earful. And it’s not what Nancy and Harry (or Barry) want them to hear.

Of course Barry can always resort to Chicago politics. Just walk in with a basket full of money and ask each member “How much for your vote”. At least he’d be “honest”.

GarandFan on July 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM

INC on July 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM

A bigger mirror.

ICBM on July 23, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Ghoul aid on July 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

He’s moved on from the sob stories about gasoline and house payments? Did he fix those first?

Fighton03 on July 23, 2009 at 6:26 PM

He’s on the ropes and he KNOWS it…

Skywise on July 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I agree. It’s finally beginning to dawn on him that many Americans are not gullible Kool-Aid drinkers and that some who did imbibe are now waking up with a hangover.

INC on July 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Ghoul aid on July 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

What ever happened to the nice letters sent to the President? Or are whiners now the only ones who bother?

Rightwingguy on July 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

That bozo absolutely infuriates me. Unfortunately his constituency is made up of people with no concept of political history prior to January 2009.

XWing5 on July 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

The Republican were terrible but Obama is much terribler.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM

his lack of clothes makes it apparent that he hasn’t got any cojones either.

Fighton03 on July 23, 2009 at 6:28 PM

overexposed (as a liar), flailing, spinning, scrambling, frantic, failing.

Axelrod is probably even MORE sweaty and slimy today, AND I LOVE IT.

marklmail on July 23, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Strong democrat pressure for Pelosi to resign. Reid under reelection pressure to back off. The economy is farther down in the toilet after 6 months of Porkulus. Obamacare is DOA. Obama is about to go into siege mentality. Expect the ACORN and SEIU goons to come out swinging for him to take the pressure off later this fall.

Fletch54 on July 23, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Fighton03 on July 23, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Don’t forget Regina Whats-her-name who enthusiastically told cameras she didn’t have to worry about bills anymore now that Obama was President.

Rightwingguy on July 23, 2009 at 6:28 PM

he Republican were terrible but Obama is much terribler.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

That alone is a fright. Why should the GOP change then? All the beltway bastages need to do is wait for us to get po’d enough then they can run on the “we’re not as bad as the jackazzes”….not good for the ol’ US of A.

Fighton03 on July 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Why have I never heard Tom Price talk before? That was outstandingly concise and articulate.

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM

rob verdi on July 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM

He was busy running for President, duh. What’s this “Senate” work you’re talking about?

On an aside, I really do wish someone would correct his asinine comment that Republicans controlled government for the past 8 years… when Democrats have been in control of Congress since 2006 and have done nothing.

Enoxo on July 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM

whats funny is that the dems have controlled congress since 06. I would like to see the spending from 06 till now.

jharada on July 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Why the sour grapes from The One?

He’s just pissed that his own dems who he thought he owned won’t support him.
Scapegoat is the correct name for the Republicans.

4shoes on July 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM

On the advisers issue. How long before some changes are made, and who is likely to go?

ICBM on July 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

He reminds me of my 3 year old grandchild when he does not get extra piece of candy.I guess Obama will start holding his breath till he turns blue or congress passes the health care bill.

thmcbb on July 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

The smug mug is now sucking on a lemon. Silly little man.

sherry on July 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

No class pantload.

My 7 year old boy already knows how to take responsibility for himself and not blame his mistakes on others, why can’t the President of the United States?

Bishop on July 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Yeah, the blame game alone is evidence of a serious deficiency in character.

I’m surprised that he doesn’t know that this makes him look childish.

In his defense, he obviously never learned much about character from his caregivers. And then he chose the wrong church and learned nothing good about character there.

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Rightwingguy on July 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

i don’t know. but this is what my letter to our beloved president would say:

Dear Fraud,

thanks for trying to turn this great country into a sh-thole. F*ck you, and tell your wife those $460 sneakers are as ugly as her face.

Love Always,

Ghoul aid

Ghoul aid on July 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Anyone else starting to see Obama sweat……..?

……. This ain’t Chicago, Obama, and you and your Administration are being seen for what it is.

A corrupt group of Marxist/Socialist goons, who are totally out of their league…….

…….. and don’t know the first thing about leading a Super Power, but only know how to destroy it.

Seven Percent Solution on July 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM

He’s about to cry a softball hit him in the face. When a liberal loses Boston, you’ve lost the war. The angry-black anti-white cop crowd was not exactly who he needed to win over.

Marcus on July 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM

What a jerk. Every dollar spent in the last budget he voted for.

seven on July 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM

If he told the truth, his tongue would snap and fall out of his mouth.

larvcom on July 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I wonder if the press will do any self-reflection once the fruit of their malpractice finally crash-lands like a sack of wet cement. I, for one, will never forget how they helped to doom my country to this charlatan.

I’d laugh at this if it weren’t so much like a Greek tragedy.

SailorDave on July 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Why the sour grapes?

Because his Presidency is ruined

Breaks my teeny tiny cold heart

msmveritas on July 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Get that president a cardigan. He’s earned his Jimmy Carter cred in record time.

What a dolt.

sulla on July 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Fighton03 on July 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM

That seems to be their strategy. The Republican Party isn’t trying to be the first to the top, they’re trying to be the last to the bottom.

FloatingRock on July 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I think that, if Obama keeps getting thwarted and his numbers keep going down, he’s going to crack.

As in a mental breakdown. He’s lead a charmed life, I believe that he is not mentally strong enough to take this level of defeat, nor the idea that he’s less than perfect.

Rebar on July 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Hey – is it 2010 yet?

Midas on July 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM

He’s got to go to a friendly crowd in freaking CLEVELAND to get his daily dose of adoration! What’s he done for you Cleveland???? What a thin skinned, crybaby putz. Oh, please Sgt. Crowley, kick this guys butt! In the war of words, of course.

ctmom on July 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Why the sour grapes from The One?

He’s just pissed that his own dems who he thought he owned won’t support him.
Scapegoat is the correct name for the Republicans.

4shoes on July 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Someone forgot to tell the Ratsh!t in Chief that while a superdelegate vote only costs 10K and a promise of something later, a vote on screwing the country over is even more expensive than screwing hillary over. He should have a funding drive so he can buy off some votes…i figure a million a pop…that should take him 2 months to get the votes in the house with his no restrictions on foreign contributions campaign website.

Obama for America….yah

What you people never realized his logo looks like Goatsie?

Who did you think he was gonna bend over? Chavez?

BillaryMcBush on July 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM

ICBM on July 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I don’t know. I don’t think he knows any better than to surround himself with people who share his vision and lack of integrity.

I shouldn’t admit this on HA, but I’m starting to feel a little sorry for the President. I’m not excusing his choices, rotten ideology, comfort with infanticide (not to mention abortion), habitual lying, etc. But how angry can you be at someone with a completely broken compass for being lost?

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Turning his head with that faux indignant look is tired already. I believe his game is played out.

FireBlogger on July 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM

What we need is the conservative equivalent of Joseph Welch to confront him publicly:

“Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

Joe Pyne on July 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Mr President, Have you no brains?!?!?!?!

WhatsRight on July 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM

AP, AP . . .

Why was Price’s video “surprisingly effective?” Did you expect banality from a Georgian doctor as opposed to the thoughtful and convincing nuance that would probably be supplied by a northeastern think-tanker?

thebadoutlaw on July 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Dear Leader: I assure you, we’re quite ashamed that you lead this country, and that we’re responsible for putting you in the position where you could lead us into misery.

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Yes I do have shame you big-eared country buster. I’m ashamed that a small-time community organizing thug is turning this country into Honduras.

MaiDee on July 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM

John_Locke on July 23, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Well, he’s the president precisely because millions of people *were* fooled by it.

Midas on July 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Bishop on July 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Because he went to Harvard.

elderberry on July 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Why was Price’s video “surprisingly effective?”

Given the state of the leadership, any time one of their video productions is effective I find it surprising.

Allahpundit on July 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM

He’s working straight out of the liberal playbook: when in doubt, play the victim.

Mallard T. Drake on July 23, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Allahpundit on July 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM

AP, I always feel excited when you or Ed comes down to comment among us mortals.

Great site, BTW. Thanks for all you do.

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Easy to understand because we all want to have a president we can support. This guy however wants to change America from our core and for that I bear no pity as he falls apart. Normally it’s tough to watch someone disintegrate in front of you but this guy is trying to rip up the best system in the history of mankind.
No mercy.

FireBlogger on July 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM

“How come the majority of Americans could not see this guy was not ready for the job back in November?

FireBlogger on July 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM”

ABC, CBS, NBC, MS-NBC, CNN, NYTimes, LATimes, Newsweek, Time, 60 Minutes, Dateline, Letterman, Leno, John Stewart, Meet the Press, Hollywood, Sit-Coms, Pop Culture Music, Teacher’s Unions, Gov’t Employee Unions, NAACP, Cartoon Network, Michael Moore, and seven years of propaganda misinformation against President George W. Bush……

…….. go figure.

Seven Percent Solution on July 23, 2009 at 6:44 PM

FloatingRock on July 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Hand clap.

Fletch54 on July 23, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Marcus on July 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Not just Boston, but Cambridge!!

Also your statement makes me think of LBJ & Cronkite.

INC on July 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM

“What you people never realized his logo looks like Goatsie?

Who did you think he was gonna bend over? Chavez?

BillaryMcBush on July 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM”

Urban Dictionary: Goatsie
Goatsie – 3 definitions – a person who has streched their ass so wide that they may fit various objects into it (milk carton, bottle rocket, cell p…

You’re absolutely correct, though I had to look that one up! Yuk. ; )

4shoes on July 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM

As Barry the One’s presidency tanks and crumbles into ruins, he will retreat to non-stop Ellen, Stuart and Late Night shenanigans to feed the need for acceptance and adulation. He’s a celeb and thinks like one. He has the emotional needs of a celeb. He is NOT a statesman.

ronsfi on July 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Why was Price’s video “surprisingly effective?”
Allahpundit on July 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Man, have you ever got that right!

When the guy is reeling, and the time is right to go on the attack what are the Republican “leaders” doing? Wringing their hands and wondering, “But, we can’t look like we’re attacking him, we’ll be called racist, obstructionists, and worse. Oh, woa is me.”

Joe Pyne on July 23, 2009 at 6:47 PM

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Yeah, he’s a victim of a life on the dole as an affirmative action ward. It’s not his fault. /s/

Fletch54 on July 23, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Why the sour grapes?

Because his Presidency is ruined

Breaks my teeny tiny cold heart

msmveritas on July 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM

huh…as for me, I feel a slight tingle up my leg.

BobMbx on July 23, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Where were you sir!

rob verdi on July 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM

He was running for Prez, of course. Can’t believe you forgot.

platypus on July 23, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I don’t think he likes being President..he likes the *idea* of being President or playing President and also being in campaign mode.

StevefromMKE on July 23, 2009 at 6:49 PM

That bozo absolutely infuriates me. Unfortunately his constituency is made up of people with no concept of political history prior to January 2009 this morning.

XWing5 on July 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Closer to the mark I think.

Tomorrow??? Rinse and repeat.

BigWyo on July 23, 2009 at 6:50 PM

phuck you, barry

D2Boston on July 23, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Democrats have been in control of Congress since 2006 and have done nothing.

Enoxo on July 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Now that’s not quite accurate. They have done something. They’ve run up huge deficits that they’re now busy insisting they “inherited” from somebody else.

AZCoyote on July 23, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Obama
Six months ago, I took office amid the worst recession in half a century. We were losing an average of 700,000 jobs per month and our financial system was on the verge of collapse.
As a result of the action we took in those first weeks, we have been able to pull our economy back from the brink. We took steps to stabilize our financial institutions and our housing market. And we….

We have lost an avg of 619,000 jobs EVERY month since Obama took office.
We have lost 7.2 million job since Dec. 2007
We have lost 3.9 million job since Obama won the election.

Obama talks about the1.3 trillion dollars in dept he “inherited”.

He says those who helped create that 1.3 trillion dollars in dept should be shammed.

Obama MOCKS those who helped create that 1.3 trillion dollars in dept as now they talk about Fiscal responsibility.

Could someone please inform Obama that as a US Senator, a member of Congress, HE IS one of those helped create that 1.3 trillion dollars in dept as now they talk about Fiscal responsibility.

Congress (please inform Obama that the Senate IS ½ of Congress) is responsible for the countries purse strings, meaning it is CONGRESS that spent that 1.3 trillion dollars.

When Obama blames the last 8 years for that 1.3 trillion dollars, Dems controlled both houses for the last 2 years (when most of this dept piled up) and Dems controlled the Senate for the first 2 years of that shameful 8 years.

DSchoen on July 23, 2009 at 6:50 PM

ronsfi on July 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Whoa. You are sooooo right. He’s already tossed truth and self-respect under the bus. Time to pimp out the charm.

ROCnPhilly on July 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Fantastic response by Rep. Price. Very impressive and certainly is a nice bit of common sense fresh air from the unreality being pitched by the Snake Oil Salesman In Chief.

powerpro on July 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM

His presser last night, had me yelling at him, via the tv. LIAR!!!

He espoused he inherited all of this? Bull!!! He and his colleagues made a majority of the decisions from 2006 up to now. It was he, and his, that spent us into oblivion. The most insulting of this though, is that he truly believes we’re all stupid enough to buy his clap trap.

capejasmine on July 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Obama’s accent came back.

Love Rep. Tom Price’s rebuttal.

jencab on July 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Fletch54 on July 23, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Again, I’m not excusing his behavior. But I do believe many of the Left’s policies trap and destroy Black people.

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Nice job Price. I mean, REALLY nice job. Too bad libs aren’t listening.

Mojave Mark on July 23, 2009 at 6:54 PM