Obama to GOP on fiscal criticism: Have you no shame?

posted at 6:08 pm on July 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler, a new treat from a guy known to publicly congratulate himself for not scapegoating Republicans after scapegoating them on national television literally minutes before. What grates about this isn’t the buck-passing — that’s politics — but his punctuating the buck-passing with a statement of “the buck stops here” faux responsibility. He wants the authority of the presidency but not the political consequences of his policy choices, which is why he’s spinning it as illegitimate and hypocritical for the GOP to criticize him on the economy even though (a) his deficit this year will end up being four to five times larger than the worst deficit under Bush, (b) the stimulus never would have been passed by a Republican Congress, and (c) he dishonestly frames his pet statist programs as Keynesian “solutions” that were forced on him by the Bush-governed economic downturn rather than as the Great Society pillars he’s been planning all along. Bush supported TARP, ergo Republicans are on the hook for all $23.7 trillion of The One’s budget-busting programs. See how that works?

Below Obama’s shameless “no shame” moment you’ll find a surprisingly effective clip of GOP Rep. Tom Price answering his scapegoating of Republicans on health care. Overwhelming blue majorities in both houses of Congress and somehow it’s still our fault. Exit question: I thought the economy had been “rescued” already. Why the sour grapes from The One?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

oboobi gives a whole new meaning to shameless, man up you sorry azz punk….

SHARPTOOTH on July 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Again, I’m not excusing his behavior. But I do believe many of the Left’s policies trap and destroy Black people.

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:53 PM

And my inability to use the blockquote function is destroying my credibility as a tech-savvy commenter.

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM

The man is lost in his own tangled web of incompetencies, inconsistencies, lies and obfuscations. His accusatory whimpers are extremely juvenile and indicative of a person that lacks the ability and assertiveness to defend his positions in a strong, positive manner. This will get much worse and he should only receive your sympathies after this march to communism is brought to its final ending.

rplat on July 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM

and he loves the power and privilege of the presidency but hates the actual hard work.

AZCoyote on July 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Of course they do, and yet….

Fletch54 on July 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Why can’t a respectable republican produce a daily

“What the president said vs. Reality” YouTube sopt?

I mean, the stuff writes itself, right?

ROCnPhilly on July 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM

sopt = spot

ROCnPhilly on July 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM

During his “happy talk” to the nation last night, Obama cited the “savings” that will come from canceling the F-22 program…

A Pentagon internal oversight board finds that a report about delays in the F-35 program was squelched…

Fabricating savings? Saving America at the cost of its defense? Talk about having no shame.

As for the GOP standing in the way of Obamacare…the Dems own Congress…they don’t need any GOP votes to get this travesty passed into law. Talk about having no shame.

coldwarrior on July 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM

By the way………….

……… Where are the jobs?

Seven Percent Solution on July 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM

coldwarrior on July 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Great minds……..

Seven Percent Solution on July 23, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Why should people be surprised this guy lies? I mean, even his accent is a lie.

jencab on July 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I’ve had many employees over the years who threw fits when asked to step up to the plate and take over a caseload and just deal with it. “I didn’t create this mess! Why do I have to clean it up?”

My answer 100% of the time: “Listen. You applied for, interviewed for, agreed to be vetted for, and were selected for the job out of 50 other qualified applicants. Are you now prepared to sacrifice your credibility by renouncing the available job, that you applied for, were fully briefed upon, were eventually vetted for and earned?”.

Perhaps Obama over sold and under produced and now he wants to quit. That’s America, folks. Show the foo the door. And don’t let it hit you on the way out, Hopenchange my fat aunt harriet.

Key West Reader on July 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Larry Kudlow: Stocks Surge as Obamacare Implodes

Politics is not everything, but I believe that the shrinking probability of a new government insurance plan that would lead to nationalized health care — along with the demise of cap-and-trade that would nationalize energy — is very bullish for stocks.

And that makes me think of a few things that Rush has said.

INC on July 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Levin played this clip and made a great point:

If you think Bush spent too much money, why the hell don’t you just spend less money?

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM

The audacity of dope, coke, smokes and jokes…this man is pure evil. Shame on all who surround and support this LIAR.

javamartini on July 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Those must have been those laugh-track thingies because this guy is a situational comedy. How much did they pay the live audience, then? I have not used this word in this manner for many a year, but I will now: Gross! The bummer is simply gross. And did you catch CNN “Situation” room. Gross,too. These people are scrambling and spewing out just about anything they can think of to back the bummer. I mean anything! Ren says, “Back off, man!” Now I went and ruined my meal. I was gonna have scrambled eggs, but they, well, just looked too scrambled.I don`t want my food reminding me of the bummer and crew(e). Jeebus, bummer is ON TV EVERY NIGHT! DA . . .ta . . . hmmm . . . . uh . . . Bummer Show!
The man is plain lying to our faces! And smiling. And being arrogant. True arrogance. The very definition incarnate! It`s alive! Alive! Oh, okay, I stop me ranting now . . . .

Sherman1864 on July 23, 2009 at 7:00 PM

He just cannot believe his Chicago smoke and mirrors b.s. isn’t working on a larger scale. He really thought that he was going to be able to do any damn thing he wanted and he’s obviously not dealing well with the reality.

Price was extremely good!

califcon on July 23, 2009 at 7:00 PM

OT….

Anyone see Juan Williams on the Fox panel tonight? He went ballistic over the Obama faux pas last night with the stupid cops comment.

And supposedly Obama made it worse this afternoon with another interview on ABC? Anyone?

Knucklehead on July 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM

javamartini on July 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM

dope, coke, smokes, and jokes. if that was a bumper sticker, i’d buy it in a nano second

Ghoul aid on July 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Knucklehead on July 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Let’s just hope he keeps diggin’

Fletch54 on July 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM

overexposed (as a liar), flailing, spinning, scrambling, frantic, failing.

Axelrod is probably even MORE sweaty and slimy today, AND I LOVE IT.

marklmail on July 23, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Yeah, and Rahm-blo’s probably due for a new set of steak knives.

David2.0 on July 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Levin is great!

Fletch54 on July 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM

dope OBAMA, coke Tax it, smokes Tax it, and joke. Obama if that was a bumper sticker, i’d buy it in a nano second

Ghoul aid on July 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM

There we go! FIFY

Key West Reader on July 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Obama is not in any position to blame Republicans. Democrats have controlled Congress for a long time now. In fact on the rare occasions that Bush did veto a spending bill, it was guys like Obama here voting to over ride.

I know his more ardent fans will buy this crap, but the rest of the country might just figure out what a whiner this guy really is.

Terrye on July 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM

overexposed (as a liar), flailing, spinning, scrambling, frantic, failing.

Axelrod is probably even MORE sweaty and slimy today, AND I LOVE IT.

marklmail on July 23, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Poll:

How many believe that Barack Obama is now being forced to use Michelle Obama’s Prescription Strength Anti Stench Deodorant?

Key West Reader on July 23, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Key West Reader on July 23, 2009 at 7:06 PM

don’t you mean anti skank?

Ghoul aid on July 23, 2009 at 7:07 PM

The people in Boston think its a SHAME that Obama said the “cops acted stupidly” in arresting Gates!

TN Mom on July 23, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Is it really ‘Presidential’ to toss cheap snark around?

James on July 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM

OT….

Knucklehead on July 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I saw this too. I’m not sure ballistic is correct, maybe shocked disbelief at the stupidity. I expected Juan to throw him a bone, but he game Obama nothing. At least two times, he emphasized that Obama addresseed the controversy twice WITHOUT reading the darned police report.

As I said in another thread, leave it to Obama to take an underhand lob and turn it into a live hand grenade.

Leaving race aside, his stupidity of responding (twice) without having the facts is stunning.

BuckeyeSam on July 23, 2009 at 7:15 PM

BuckeyeSam on July 23, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I really like Juan Williams. He’s a lefty, and I don’t agree with him much, but he’s intellectually honest and won’t carry water for someone just because of the letter that comes after their name.

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2009 at 7:18 PM

BuckeyeSam on July 23, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Maybe ballistic wasn’t the right word, but anytime I see Juan going after Obama, I go ballistic with joy.

Juan was none to kind last night after the Obama depresser either.

Knucklehead on July 23, 2009 at 7:23 PM

OT….

Knucklehead on July 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Juan Williams is actually quite sane in his assessments. He does have his moments of Obama-love, but he is quick to criticize when warranted. I may not always agree with him, but I can respect his opinions.

ICBM on July 23, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Now that was an effective presentation from Congressman Price, I can hardly believe it was from the Republicans it was so good…

crazywater on July 23, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Shame-wow!

Laura in Maryland on July 23, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Obama to GOP on fiscal criticism: Have you no shame?

Liberal translation:

SHUT UP!!

I think Andrew Klavan explains it best.

Dreadnought223 on July 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Who let the dogs out? Woof! Woof! Woof!

SouthernGent on July 23, 2009 at 7:32 PM

In order for hussein to feel important and superior he has to make others feel inferior. typical disfunctional behavior from a socialist.

hawkman on July 23, 2009 at 7:33 PM

If our elected presidents are bad, American citizens will voice their concerns and expose the lack of integrity & especially the an inept wisdom of forward thinking of said preidents. It is these kind of presidents whose performances such as last nights dismal presser and follow on behaviors of todays statements in Cleveland that just shows us he is a spoiled immature brat when it gets a little hot in the kitchen.

It makes me wonder out loud here that if any kind of serious vetting by the 4th estate had taken place before the election this spoiled brat’s short comings would have been exposed. Everything he attempts to do in the future should be scrutinized carefully by the 4th estate and the American people.

Did Obama ever really want to govern us or was it Obama’s ulterior motives all along to rule over us and ruin our constitutional government system?

Americannodash on July 23, 2009 at 7:34 PM

*of said preidents presidents.

Americannodash on July 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Am I jaded enough to think that this bill must be passed before Ted Kennedy passes? Maybe it really is not so much about Hussein, but Kennedy, as a big thank you smack on the a$$ to him. Then they can send him off to join Kopechne in the great beyond. (I didn’t say WHICH great beyond.)

leftnomore on July 23, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Bald faced liar in chief.

jukin on July 23, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Americannodash on July 23, 2009 at 7:34 PM

He has no idea how to govern, he’s not a leader, so that leaves us with your last option.

I think he’s too stupid to ruin our Constitution, but someone’s behind the scenes pulling his strings to take this country to it’s knee’s. George Soros comes to mind.

Knucklehead on July 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Shame-wow!

Laura in Maryland on July 23, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Thread winner!

Proud Texan on July 23, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Why have I never heard Tom Price talk before? That was outstandingly concise clean and articulate.

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM

He was excellent. As much as we like to piss and moan about the GOP, I have to say I’m actually encouraged by the ones in the House. The Senate GOP, on the other hand, are absolutely infuriating. I send my money to the NRCC and individual campaigns (Toomey!, Bachmann, Rubio, SarahPAC), but not the RNC.

Fallen Sparrow on July 23, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Why doesn’t he publicly ask the Democrats that don’t support ObamaCare if THEY have any shame? If they voted for it, Republicans wouldn’t matter in this House.

They ARE ashamed (of ObamaCare), and will need to face the voters in November 2010. Therein lies the rub. Do they want to be good little Obamacrat puppets, or represent their districts? You’ve gotta wonder what they’re hearing on their phones…

Steve Z on July 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Americannodash on July 23, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Knucklehead on July 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM

How does one define a rhetorical question? I know the answer to my question but I just wanted it put out there for effect and as an effort to forward on the conversation of Obama’s real intentions for the people of America.

Americannodash on July 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM

A

Knucklehead on July 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Yep… Obama doubled down. He was asked point blank, Do you stand by your comment about the police?…

Obama said he was “surprised” there was such a controversy, because he thought it was a “straightforward commentary” on the incident.

There’s a clip on Yahoo news.

jana on July 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Not only does the emperor have no clothes, he seems to lack advisers with any common sense or honesty.

jazz_piano on July 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I know I keep saying this, but in this case, the clothes have no emperor!

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Found the ABC clip:

jana on July 23, 2009 at 8:08 PM

I am soooooooooooooooo glad that Tom Price is my congressman.

I can sleep well knowing he isn’t up there voting to give away the store when I am not looking.

Dave R. on July 23, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Americannodash on July 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Follow your question with the /rhetorical flag (just like /sarc)

And, it’ll be more fun to watch the intellectually challenged answer anyway, because they don’t know what rhetorical means.

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 8:11 PM

He’s had to have taken the blue Quaalude.

poppieseeds on July 23, 2009 at 8:12 PM

And once again Obama finds it necessary to remind the audience that “I am the President”. I’m reminded of the 1980 election when Democrat Eugene McCarthy endorsed Ronald Reagan for President. Now that was surprise given McCarthy’s ideology and so he was naturally asked why. McCarthy said that Reagan was the rare man who understood the difference between the man who holds the office and the office itself.

I’ve never heard a President so often remind people of his office. And I think it’s because Obama is trying to make himself into the office. By stating this over and over again, Obama is trying to make us believe that he has those qualities necessary to be a great President. It shows a deep level of insecurity that I’m not even sure that Obama realizes he has.

Reagan never did that because Reagan never had to. He knew who he was.

PackerBronco on July 23, 2009 at 8:17 PM

well, he does read tons and tons of letters from americans with heathcare sob stories. is that work?
Ghoul aid on July 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Oddly enough they

(heathcare sob stories)

all seem to come from the same person, 1 Donna Smith.

Lets see he gets letters from a Nurses Association
Donna Smith is a community organizer for the California Nurses Association

He gets letters from a woman in Colorado who paid $700 a month to her insurance company only to find out that they wouldn’t pay a dime for her cancer treatment – who had to use up her retirement funds to save her own life

Oddly enough that is the same story of Donna Smith from the movie SICKO.

Oh remember that woman from the Obama infomercial? The one with uterine cancer? Oddly enough that woman was in fact Donna Smith!

Obama “This is about the middle-class college graduate from Maryland whose health insurance expired when he changed jobs, and woke up from emergency surgery with $10,000 in debt”

Oddly enough, this one is not Donna Smith, obviously Donna is not a man, but it could be Larry Smith.

See Donna and Larry Smith moved to Maryland

LabCorp Denies Blood Test for Heart Attack Patient Due to $7 Debt
He owes $7.

Posted on June 30th, 2009 by admin
By Donna Smith
Blah blah blah …. And if you think for one instant that in this nation at this point in history and with this popularly elected President and Democratic Congress you will be treated for a heart attack simply because you might die if you are not treated, think again. Blah blah blah …. .

We moved to Maryland in March, Blah blah blah ….

Moved to Maryland, what a coincidence.

Donna Smith is a community organizer for the California Nurses Association and National Co-Chair for the Progressive Democrats of America Healthcare Not Warfare campaign

Blah blahh blahh

But the point is, we’ll have to fight for it. And his heart will be stressed more and so on and so on and so on. This is the travesty of healthcare in this nation. And this Congress and this President are so damned concerned with their own political futures they cannot even see this reality for the rest of us. I am so angry.

And don’t tell me that a single payerpublicly funded and privately delivered system — wouldn’t stop heart attack patients from being denied care due to old debts of $7.

It’s the only system that could stop that sort of abuse.

Since 2007, she has co-chaired the Progressive Democrats of America’s national “Healthcare Not Warfare”.

Things that make ya go hummmm?

Multiple stories, from all across America, in letters written to the president, seem to be the same stories of one “single payer” advocate, a fellow community organizer, Donna Smith, the same Donna smith who was at his infomercial. The one with uterine cancer.

DSchoen on July 23, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Follow your question with the /rhetorical flag (just like /sarc)

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Hey there massrighty how are you doing? Did you ever get in touch with redstate about your concerns w/ Senator Cronyn?

DSchoen on July 23, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Great comment.

Americannodash on July 23, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Let us compare the economy under Republican control, 2002-6 and Democrat control, 2006-now.

Obama is trying to destroy the economy as president, but he started the ball rolling as a Senator – with some help from the likes of Pelosi and Dirty Harry Reid…

18-1 on July 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I am always amazed how Obama talks as if he just dropped into this situation somehow forgetting that the Dems have controlled Congress since the 2006 election and mysteriously ignoring the fact that he was a sitting Senator during that time. Maybe someone will ask what legislation he sponsored and fought for that would have changed things. What a maroon.

mrveritas on July 23, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Americannodash on July 23, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Not sure what you are referencing. Not challenging, but can you explain?

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I am always amazed how Obama talks as if he just dropped into this situation somehow forgetting that the Dems have controlled Congress since the 2006 election and mysteriously ignoring the fact that he was a sitting Senator running for President and ignoring his Senatorial duties during that time. Maybe someone will ask what legislation he sponsored and fought for that would have changed things. What a maroon.

mrveritas on July 23, 2009 at 8:30 PM

No legislation. No record of accomplishment. A resume so thin, people cut themselves on the edges. Any potentially embarassing thing in his past expunged.

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Obama’s “have you no shame” approach [PROJECTION, anyone?!], as you describe it, is right out of this book I’m reading at the moment, “Surrender“, by Bawer:

“The Dialectical Scam” chapter refers on page 24 to a comment by Alvin Rosenfeld:

” First, find something about Israel to criticize; second, criticize it in the most hyperbolic manner, while warning that ‘powerful’ and ‘repressive’ Jewish instutions will try to ‘silence’ the critics by calling them anti-Semites; third, when ‘more sober minded critics’ point out your hyperbole, claim their censure perfectly illustrates the point that there really is a Jewish organizational conspiracy to silence ‘criticism of Israel.’ VOILA – now you can bask in your identity as an ‘intellectual martyr.’ Indeed, though posturing as victims, the writers who Rosenfeld had challenged were actually victimizers.

Who was trying to silence whom? “

Lockstein13 on July 23, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Not sure what you are referencing. Not challenging, but can you explain?

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Apologies to you then. It must have been HA commenter maverick muse that I talked to about Senator Cronyn.

Americannodash on July 23, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Good lord, will this guy just go away?

His feelings are hurt that everyone isn’t licking his shoes as if we were all MSNBC employees.

Hey jackass, you work for the American people. A good percentage of us support Republicans and don’t agree with you.

Grow up and deal with it, you clown. You wanted this job, remember?

NoDonkey on July 23, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Nice transition Bambi made from”hero” to “victem”.Easy way to drum-up sympathy votes.I can hear the libs right now.”The One is just trying to help all of us,but those mean,old villianous Republicans won’t let him.”
All you best and brightest libnuts out there,please bbuy this bridge I’m selling,so before some Republican does.

DDT on July 23, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Oops,”selling,before.”

DDT on July 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM

AZCoyote on July 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM

C’mon, BO’s nver done any heavy lifting in his life, why start now?

NickelAndDime on July 23, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Reagan never did that because Reagan never had to. He knew who he was.

PackerBronco on July 23, 2009 at 8:17 PM

My first boss, back when I was a fresh college grad, gave me a piece of information I have never forgotten:

“If you have to tell people you’re the boss – you aren’t.”

I am reminded of that conversation almost daily now.

Vashta.Nerada on July 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM

I learned back in the ’80s that when these politicians start pounding their fists and going on about how “we must bring this spending deficit under control!!!” that means only one thing: “We’re going to raise your taxes.”

Who cares if there’s a small, manageable spending deficit, that the Fed goes over budget. Big deal. Didn’t really bother me when Bush and the Republican Congress were doing it.

But it does reach a point where it becomes ridiculous and we’ve surpassed that point in just a few months.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I have never experienced the likes of Obama with his constant thinly veiled threats to people. He’s disgusting. If he’s not threatening Israel, he’s threatening Americans on domestic policies. He’s a common thug.

Blake on July 24, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Has he no shame whatsoever? Does he really not see the hypocrisy of every action he has taken since Jan. 20th?

ConservadorRebelde on July 24, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Listening to the president speak about things:

a) It’s not my fault
b) The other guy made me do it
c) Other people messed up too, so it’s really not my fault

It sounded familiar and then I figured it out: he sounded like my son did a couple of years ago. Of course, my son was four years old at the time and at least has an excuse about acting that way. Since then, he’s learned at least some semblance of a sense of responsibility, which is more than I can say about our Narcissist-in-Chief.

Physics Geek on July 24, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Obama’s math is miserable. There is a difference between a deficit of 4% of GDP and one of 13% of the GDP.

And in exactly which budget did he try to reduce spending while HIS party was in charge?

drjohn on July 24, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I seem to remember that there was a mild recession in 2000 and Bill Clinton, when approached by the media to get his comments on the Bush administration’s blame of the Clinton administration for the mild recession, accused the Bush administration of going “straight to blame” rather than working to use economic policy to cure the recession.

Now, when the Democrats have a recession to deal with, they go straight to the endless well of “blame Bush” even though the House of Representatives has been in the hands of the Democrats since 2007.. Last I heard, there was no recession in 2006.

All who wish to read or hear the truth will be receptive to it. Very few ideologues, if any, will change their minds.

ExpressoBold on July 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM

That was actually a damn good response from Price. It’s so refreshing to see somebody in the GOP finally grow a pair.

Cylor on July 24, 2009 at 11:08 AM

If gas prices hadn’t gone nuts after Hurricane Katrina, Republicans would probably still control the House.

Speedwagon82 on July 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM