How not to win support from police unions; Update: Obama retreats; Update: Bill Cosby “shocked” by Obama’s remarks

posted at 1:17 pm on July 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Police in Cambridge have reacted predictably to having the President call them stupid, as ABC reports today.  Their union lashed out at Obama for commenting without having the facts on hand, and witnesses dispute Obama’s recounting of the event:

The Cambridge, Mass., police officer who arrested Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. and his union are slamming President Obama for saying they reacted “stupidly” to the incident at Gates house last week.

Obama was “was dead wrong to malign this police officer specifically and the department in general,” Alan McDonald, the lawyer for the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association, told ABC News today.

Sgt. James Crowley, who arrested Gates for disorderly conduct also chimed in today, saying Obama’s characterization was “way off base… I acted appropriately,” Crowley told WBZ Radio in Boston Thursday.

“There was a lot of yelling, there was references to my mother,” he added, “something you wouldn’t expect from anybody that should be grateful that you were there investigating a report of a crime in progress, let alone a Harvard University professor.”

The police have at least one witness to back their account of the incident:

Police disputed the extent of Gates’ cooperation, saying he didn’t initially provide identification when asked, and berated the police.

One of Crowley’s neighbors supported the sergeant’s story, saying that the police report that said Gates was belligerent was not completely off the mark.

As I twittered last night, any statement from a politician about an incident under dispute that begins, ” I don’t know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts,” should end with, “I have nothing to say until all the facts are known.”  Instead, Obama took the moment immediately after acknowledging his incomplete knowledge of the incident to declare that law enforcement had acted “stupidly,” which doesn’t fit the facts as they’re unfolding now.  I understand the impulse to defend a friend in a dispute, but as President and as the head of law enforcement in the nation, Obama should have given enough benefit of the doubt to the police to at least withhold judgment until he did get all the facts.

As it happens, I have also encountered hostile police responding to a house, many years ago when I was in college, at a party that drew noise complaints.  Someone mouthed off about a warrant, which provoked the officer to charge into the house without permission, thump his finger repeatedly into the smart-alec’s chest, and threaten to arrest everyone at the house.  His partner, obviously the wiser of the two, pulled him out of the house by the arm and asked us to reduce the noise — which we had already agreed to do.  Both the smart-alec and the officer were white.

Do a few officers have judgment problems about “disorderly conduct” and are too thin-skinned about getting challenged?  Sure, and if the evidence supports that conclusion in this case, it would call for some retraining and at least an apology.  Jumping to a conclusion that it’s about race when there appears to be no evidence except by inference is bad enough from the media (although perhaps understandable from Gates himself), let alone from the President of the United States. Sometimes it pays to keep quiet before having all the facts.

Update: Tommy Christopher reports that the White House may soon retreat from Obama’s comments, but he thinks they were justified.

Update II: Robert Gibbs signals retreat:

The White House says President Barack Obama was not calling a Cambridge, Mass., police officer stupid when he criticized last week’s arrest of black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. …

On Wednesday Obama said the police “acted stupidly” when they arrested Gates even after it was clear that he was not a burglary suspect. Gibbs said that Obama did not regret the remark, but wanted to clarify that he was not calling the arresting officer stupid.

How could we have assumed that when Obama accused the cops of acting stupidly that we thought he meant they were stupid?  And Eastasia has always been at war with Oceania, Winston.

Update III: Bill Cosby didn’t care for Obama’s intervention either:

“I’ve heard about five different reports [on the details of the arrest],” Cosby said on Boston’s WZLX. “If I’m the president of the United States, I don’t care how much pressure people want to put on it about race, I’m keeping my mouth shut.”

“I was shocked to hear the president making this kind of statement,” Cosby said referring to the president’s remarks during last night’s press conference.

Later, Cosby softened a little bit, noting that Obama lived in Cambridge and has some first-hand knowledge of the community, but still said that people should have waited to get the facts before opining.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10

Can this president speak more stupidly than what he had said? It is beyond unbelievable, that of saying something/someone is stupid without the facts in his hands.

mz.josephine on July 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Forgive me but you make me think of a term…mmmmm

a-hole

CWforFreedom

Is that a ring of blue flannel lint around your mouth?

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM

We’re talking about cop misconduct. The fact that all police departments must have some kind of oversight in the form of BIAs shows that a significant number of cops are criminals.

It’s telling that cops regard the officers who police them to be the “rat” squad.

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM

So what does that say about the government, what with all the inspector generals they have.

Everyone has seen cops routinely break the law and then use the police officer in the performance of my duty omnibus excuse for breaking the law.

When a cop acts badly, there’s always a good excuse.

Actually, I’ve never personally seen a cop break a law. Well, maybe speeding, but who doesn’t speed. In fact, around here, when a cop breaks the law, they are usually brought up on charges just like anyone else. Black, white, male, female. You do wrong, and get caught, you go to jail. At the least they lose their jobs.

Your disdain for law enforcement is what is telling.

You keep claiming this is about “abuse of power,” but I’ve yet to see you bring any proof that there was any abuse of power in this case. The officer in question seemed to handle it professionally. He didn’t man handle Gates, as was claimed above. He didn’t yell at Gates.

Gates had every opportunity to de-escalate the situation. Around here, Gates would have probably been put in a cruiser to cool off while the officers determined what was going on.

And here’s a hint for ya. IA is there because anyone who wields power should have checks and balances against the abuse of said power.

Keith_Indy on July 23, 2009 at 11:12 PM

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM

funny how you trolls always go on to prove me right

CWforFreedom on July 23, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Oh, I know what you were doing. Dodging the issue by playing with words. You know what was meant and you evaded addressing it. Again.

ajsleepy

So you know how I think?

Ultimately you work for the public. You don’t like that? Go find a different boss.

Can I command you what to do? Not directly. However, ultimately your chain of command ends up with elected officials who are accountable to the citizenry.

In this country, police are ultimately under civilian command, whether you like it or not.

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:16 PM

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Genius

are you kidding me?

CWforFreedom on July 23, 2009 at 11:17 PM

So, I posted this question:

I never said I didn’t want public employees to be disenfranchised, I said I wasn’t sure they should be allowed to vote.

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 9:45 PM
How is not being allowed to vote different from being disenfranchised?

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM

And, you answered with this:

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM
What part of “not sure” do you not get?

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:09 PM

That’s right smarmy, considering the dismal quality of your other posts.

But, I’ll play along.

You’re “not sure” that free citizens, who fulfil all of the other legal requirements, should be allowed to vote?

This is the only thing in your short, tragic history of posting here that you’re apparently unsure of.

People who actually value freedom don’t question whether others should have the franchise.

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 11:18 PM

mmmmm a-hole

CWforFreedom

Hey, go for it. Who am I to tell you what you enjoy eating?

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:18 PM

They disrespect us and expect us to kiss their asses.

To quote e.e. cummings, there is some shit I will not eat.

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Hey, go for it. Who am I to tell you what you enjoy eating?

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Seems you have a fixation

CWforFreedom on July 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM

CWforFreedom on July 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Nicely done!

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 11:25 PM

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Mass you are arguing with the dimmest of wits. You should really take a pass and guard your backside when you leave. He has an unhealthy obsession.

CWforFreedom on July 23, 2009 at 11:26 PM

CWforFreedom on July 23, 2009 at 11:26 PM

You’re right, of course. But, I keep trying to engage some of these folks; hoping maybe they’ll tune up their game.

Must be the evangelist in me.

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Must be the evangelist in me.

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Keep up the good fight then

CWforFreedom on July 23, 2009 at 11:30 PM

massrighty

Really? You mean the founding fathers didn’t actually value freedom?

There was no universal franchise when the USA was founded. Women couldn’t vote. Slaves couldn’t vote. It’s possible that only landowners could vote in the 18th century.

The issue of political power of government employees is an important one. With enough power they would just increase their raids on the public treasury. Look how SEIU got Obama to make Gov. Arnold retreat on budget cuts that would impact SEIU members.

If you want the security and benefit package of a gov’t employee, earning more money and getting a more generous benefit/pension plan than is generally available in the private sector (Federal employees on avg make double what private sector workers make, cops in California retire with 97% pensions, which are simply not available anywhere in the private sector), perhaps you might have to give up something in exchange for that security.

As I said, I’m not sure of the solution, but something has to be done to restrict the political power of public employees. That power is a threat to the republic.

Oh my. I just said the word threat. Is some cop going to say that I threatened him?

So far I haven’t seen many government workers laid off. Whine about salary and benefit cuts, for sure, but gov’t wage rolls have increased at almost every level.

Cops don’t want to admit it, but they’re on the same side as SEIU, AFSCME and Gov. Blagojovich.

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM

mmmmm a-hole

CWforFreedom
Hey, go for it. Who am I to tell you what you enjoy eating?

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:18 PM

More proof that Lib humor is never funny, just offensive to the vast majority.

Kinda like their policies.

Why are Libs so scatologically inclined?

David2.0 on July 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM

CWforFreedom on July 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Nicely done!

massrighty

Enjoying your little circle jerk? Maybe the next time your favorite cop with give you a reach around.

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Why are Libs so scatologically inclined?

David2.0 on July 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I have no idea. I’m not a liberal or progressive, just a freethinking American.

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:36 PM

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Here, we’re into solutions; don’t have them?

Go away.

massrighty on July 23, 2009 at 11:36 PM

I am becoming quite afraid for our police force around the nation with this rokemronnie person on the loose.

betsyz on July 23, 2009 at 11:43 PM

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM

It is obvious that this person does not need the privilge to comment here.

Franklyn on July 23, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Perhaps he should have consulted the wise latino racist before making his racist comments about a white police officer.

workingforpigs on July 23, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Good job president, open mouth, insert the race card. The voters actually elected a racist? Amazing.

workingforpigs on July 23, 2009 at 11:57 PM

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM

It is obvious that this person does not need the privilge to comment here.

Franklyn

But the guy calling me an asshole is just fine with you.

I helped support this site with advertising dollars when it first started. Since I helped make it possible for you to comment here, so nice of you to want me censored.

Like I said, AP can ban me anytime he wants. Methinks, however, he’s on the side of the angels in the debate over abuse of police authority.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – some guy named Ben

This applies to domestic issues as well as national security.

rokemronnie on July 24, 2009 at 12:01 AM

All of the things that have happened with the lack of presidental and cabinet support and respect and now a lack of poor judgement regarding a police officer is very disturbing to me. We may see a time when they all lay down their arms and walk away. We all need to support our military and our police force before they completely feel unwanted in this country.

Things are not moving in a positive direction.

workingforpigs on July 24, 2009 at 12:27 AM

To quote e.e. cummings, there is some shit I will not eat.

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Shit-eater.

hillbillyjim on July 24, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Wow. Two nights in a row getalife’s evil twin is out. I bet he would be a kick to hang out with.

arnold ziffel on July 24, 2009 at 12:30 AM

So you know how I think?

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:16 PM

There you go with the word play. I never said I know how you think. I said I know what you’re doing. When you refuse to answer a question directly and instead try to parse words, you are avoiding the question. I merely stated what you did in your post. Not what you were thinking.

Okay, you go out and tell the first police officer you see what to do and tell me how that works out for you. I think I’ll stay in my profession.

ajsleepy on July 24, 2009 at 12:50 AM

The president said he understands the sergeant who arrested Gates is an “outstanding police officer.” But he added that with all that’s going on in the country with health care and the economy and the wars abroad, “it doesn’t make sense to arrest a guy in his own home if he’s not causing a serious disturbance.”

So, when health care is squared away, and the economy is going good, and our country is at peace, it will once again make sense to arrest a guy in his own home if he’s not making a serious disturbance.

I’d like to thank the President for his astute analysis of the situation, including his determination that Mr. Gates was not making a serious enough disturbance after being caught by a bystander entering a house with a burglary-busted door.

unclesmrgol on July 24, 2009 at 1:20 AM

I checked in with the brain trust at MSNBC. There, Chrissy Matthews did a clumsy job of spinning this into The One’s favor. Somehow, it went to a discussion of traffic stops of African-Americans and how they are forced to open their trunks. Then, after four minutes and a few laughs, I changed the channel. Yup, deal with an issue that has been studied and handled for decades (that has little or nothing to do with the facts of the case) and go back to a liberal theme of yore.

IlikedAUH2O on July 24, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Evidently, Obama had a little trouble with the man when he was in law school.

According to a 2007 Associated Press story, Obama was a parking ticket deadbeat for more than a decade — and only felt the need to pay the 15 outstanding parking tickets as his presidential campaign began in earnest in 2007.

Here is the Associated Press story detailing Obama’s negligence:

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama got more than an education when he attended Harvard Law School in the late 1980s. He also got a healthy stack of parking tickets, most of which he never paid.

The Illinois Senator shelled out $375 in January – two weeks before he officially launched his presidential campaign – to finally pay for 15 outstanding parking tickets and their associated late fees.

The story was first reported Wednesday by The Somerville News.

Obama received 17 parking tickets in Cambridge between 1988 and 1991, mostly for parking in a bus stop, parking without a resident permit and failing to pay the meter, records from the Cambridge Traffic, Parking and Transportation office show.

He incurred $140 in fines and $260 in late fees in Cambridge in all, but he paid $25 for two of the tickets in February 1990.

Jen Psaki, a spokeswoman for the Obama campaign, dismissed the tickets as not relevant.

“He didn’t owe that much and what he did owe, he paid,” Psaki said on Wednesday. “Many people have parking tickets and late fees. All the parking tickets and late fees were paid in full.”

BuckeyeSam on July 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Pressers are particularly hard on bho. His cold exterior covers a cold detached ideologue.

Mojave Mark on July 24, 2009 at 1:45 AM

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:16 PM

OK, I’ve snipped my initial reaction and let me state that the police are a CIVIL force so they are ALWAYS under civilian command. They are NOT a military force.

The military have a completely different justice system (see the UCMJ) which is outside of the civilian system for a reason.

Fighton03 on July 24, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Does this bloody moron understand local government?

atheling on July 24, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Post-racial President my ass.

That 20 years of Rev, Wright sermons came home to roost, plain and simple.

Yakko77 on July 24, 2009 at 2:38 AM

I’d like to know why Henry Louis Gates was acting so uppity, and Zero acted so stupidly.

Mr Purple on July 24, 2009 at 2:57 AM

. Mr. Gates lives in a city with a black mayor, a state with a black governor and a country with a black President

( via WSJ )

Time for people like Gates to stop seeing color in everything and take responsibility for his actions.

I think Obama has made a big error with his handling of an issue that all the facts are not known yet.

This will especially be true when the recordings come out of Gates yelling and screaming at these police officers whose only crime it seems is that they were doing their jobs.

The officers mikes were open and are supposed to have picked up this exchange.

Gates ranting is going to be heard by everyone while Obama’s “stupid” remarks are going to be played side by side.

Obama’s is nothing but an Amatuer and Chief.
Who looks “stupid” now.

Baxter Greene on July 24, 2009 at 3:38 AM

A useful diversion from the growing Healthcare debacle

In the end, Obama will obfuscate his way out of the carefully staged casual remark and the officer will be left with a question mark on his testimony

Healthcare will be temporarily parked behind the useful diversion, to re emerge refreshed and re invented as if it had not been sinking like the Titanic

Healthcare will not have been re written, but after the hormonal diversion of the first marital spat, as they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder

Critiques will have faded from memory and the new PR will be staged to prempt the criticisms that were already revealed

However, unless employment grows faster than the Titanic sank, the leaky boat still won’t float

I call this a calculated retreat right across the hide of a dedicated officer of the law, who apparently supported Obama. This fish does not want to go under the bus willingly

entagor on July 24, 2009 at 4:08 AM

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM

What is your fixation on law enforcement?

ajsleepy on July 24, 2009 at 4:19 AM

If near a TV, turn on Morning Joe. Classic debate. Comedy gold discussion as black liberals side with the professor while white liberals side with the cop, and conservative viewers watch the circular execution squad.

I loved it.

BuckeyeSam on July 24, 2009 at 6:54 AM

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM
What is your fixation on law enforcement?

ajsleepy on July 24, 2009 at 4:19 AM

Nevermind. I’ll wager it has something to do with being a fifty-something year old pothead who doesn’t like the country’s drug laws. Just a wild guess…

ajsleepy on July 24, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Again…the Sgt says he’s a big obama supporter.

So, I hope they stick it in him and break it off.

LtE126 on July 24, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Here is some racial profiling to consider. After this story blew up in the media, how many cops nationwide do you think might have received a call to an incident in a black neighborhood and responded just a little slower. How many times will cops see this game played out before they decide, “Hey, it is not worth it. I’ll put in my 20 and retire, and to hell with trying to protect these people and their homes.”

Talk about unintended consequences. And we wonder why crime in black communities seems to go unchecked.

MikeA on July 24, 2009 at 7:47 AM

rokemronnie on July 23, 2009 at 11:36 PM

No, you’re as crazy as aprilorit.

Blake on July 24, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Another consequence may be bad news for Mr. Gates himself. The story indicated that his front door had some problem from a previous break in attempt. Should that happen again next week, who belives that the Cambridge Police are going to be fighting for the privlige of respinding to his call for help?

I’d say someone really did act “stupidly” in this case, and maybe more than ever intended the race baiting game is being exposed for what it really is.

MikeA on July 24, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Don’t despair folks. We’ve only to put up with The Jug-Eared One’s healing magic for three and a half years.

Oh crap. Cryogenics anyone?

hillbillyjim on July 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Hey! It’s all about the O

Cybergeezer on July 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM

With the Obama ad-menstration constantly criticizing the military and now the police, who is going to protect our honest citizens? Why all the negative toward those of authoritity? Maybe a little of his background showing and his past associations?

Not a slip of the tongue, this is actually the way he thinks and it scares me.

workingforpigs on July 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Oh crap. Cryogenics anyone?

hillbillyjim on July 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM

lol

Mulligan on July 24, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I guess it is not without a strong sense of irony that I note that the first Post-Racial President boldy and firmly planted his foot on the racial land mine.

A classy person would have stayed above the firestorm.

A PRESIDENT would have stayed above the firestorm.

Obama is NEITHER

theflyonthewall on July 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM

So we now have to deal with the reparations of not only giving ivy league slots to the unearned based on their skin color, but now that they are above the law.

Obama sez.

It’s hysterical that it happened in Cambridge where they all voted for hope and change.

Hening on July 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Rokeronnie, I’ve waited a day and a half and you chose not to answer my questions and others. You are either blind or just plane rude. I bet you live in a northeastern state where I can understand where your rudeness comes from. I apologize for those who are from the northeast and are not rude and answer promptly. Rookie, the cop that you don’t care for was cleared of all wrong doing.

garydt on July 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Well, that’s what a wise Latina would have done…

I R A Darth Aggie on July 24, 2009 at 10:33 AM

So it is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson that writes all the stuff on the teleprompter…… now it all makes sense… He also has his old domestic terrorist pal writing about the police…. hmmm

workingforpigs on July 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM

His partner, obviously the wiser of the two, pulled him out of the house by the arm and asked us to reduce the noise — which we had already agreed to do. Both the smart-alec and the officer were white.

I’m curious as to why the race has anything to do with anything.

doginblack on July 24, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I haven’t seen this point made anywhere:

Being the chair of African-American Studies for Harvard U., shouldn’t you be on a first name basis with the lead Diversity officer for the City of Cambridge Police Department? Isn’t that your business? – particularly when the treatment of minorities by police is seen as such a critical issue by those like Dr. Gates?

Harvard University SAYS they reach out to the local community. -what a joke.

rock the casbah on July 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM

The way this government behaves, it seems like the first people to progressively disappear are not industrialists and artists but the men and women in uniform. Why is that the far left has such little respect for the people who are willing to put their lives on the line to protect them: Firefighters (Sotomayor), Soldiers (Obama wanted to make them pay for their battle injuries, the Far Left constantly demonizes them and the only thing they remember from Iraq is Abu Ghraib) and cops (Lefties sure hate cops, never saw a lefty thank a cop for their heroism in keeping the streets clean, but when one cop “misbehave” they will scream their throats out).

I wish the men and women in uniform will go on strike, just for a month, just so all these anti second amendment liberals feel what it’s like to live in an unprotected society. These blathering idiots need to be reminded, every now and then, that we don’t live in a perfect world. I bet they’ll lineup to buy guns at Wal-Mart.

Michelle Dubois on July 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM

rock the casbah on July 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Good point

Scrappy on July 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM

ajsleepy on July 24, 2009 at 7:42 AM

garydt on July 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I had to give up with rokemronnie a couple pages ago. Debates can only go so far when one half refuses to respect even the most basic norms of a dialog. I can deal with the abbrasiveness and childish name calling, and even the silly hatred of police, but the refusal to properly attibute quotes, twisting of facts, ignoring information and points people make that are inconvenient to his narrative and the general dishonesty with which he approaches the conversation I couldn’t.

Scrappy on July 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Please, President Obama and Spokesman Gibbs….please keep making statements. Keep digging!!!!!!

olesparkie on July 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Scrappy on July 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM

It’s a little fun for me to watch ‘em dodge from position to position and purposely avoid answering questions.

ajsleepy on July 24, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Yeah Scrappy, I got the same response by most leftists when they don’t have any facts to back up their statements. Whoever said they rely on feelings is correct.

garydt on July 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Officer Crowley,

please do not lower yourself by having a beer with Gates and Obama. It is pure manipulation, you did nothing wrong and you are being brought to their level if you attend. If you must go, be in uniform, refuse his beer and insist on your position which is correct. This is more Obambi manipulation and game playing. the man is a liar and totally deceitful. Ignore him…. Go Crowley, good job.

highninside on July 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM