Ear, nose, and throat surgeons to Obama: Sometimes the tonsils have to come out, champ

posted at 7:01 pm on July 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

Ghoulish, unethical, profit-seeking quacks would say that, though, wouldn’t they?

Let’s see what they think once they’ve got a community organizer with four years of federal policy experience riding herd on them. There’s a new sheriff in town, bloodsuckers!

In reply, the AAO-HNS stated, “We, too, are in favor of evidence-based medicine that supports quality patient care. President Obama’s statement highlights the complexity of medical decisions like this. However, the AAO-HNS is disappointed by the President’s portrayal of the decision making processes by the physicians who perform these surgeries. In many cases, tonsillectomy may be a more effective treatment, and less costly, than prolonged or repeated treatments for an infected throat.

“For the past several years, the Academy has been developing clinical guidelines based on evidence and outcomes research, including ‘Quality of Life after Tonsillectomy,’ a January 2008 supplement to the journal Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery. We are in agreement with the President’s statement that physicians, patients, and hospitals should make the decisions, based on the evidence, about what’s best for patient care.”

If you missed Slublog’s post on this subject in this morning’s Greenroom, read it now. Evidently he and his wife have one of the precious few pediatricians in America who doesn’t remove organs unnecessarily to make an extra buck. Exit question: First doctors, then cops. Which indispensable profession will Barry impugn next? I’ll give odds on firefighters at 3-1, soldiers at 5-1, and teachers at 10-1 (only because of the union pressure).

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Because he can’t come right out and demand Castration. Yet.

Key West Reader on July 23, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Jesse Jackson did. How ’bout it, Jesse?

Steve Z on July 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I’ll put the farm on soldiers, with maybe some covering action on firefighters. In fact, I’m shocked that you’re giving me 5-1 odds; I figured that it would be no longer than 5-3.

Extended odds (for the benefit of Jim Treacher):

Farmers – 8-1
White-collar workers as a group – 2-1
Wall Street – 2-5
Construction workers – 15-1 (non-union construction workers is 5-1)
Ford Motor Company executives – off the board after hitting 2-9
Journalists – 20-1 (note; this does not include bloggers)
Conservative bloggers – even

Disclaimer: Odds provided for entertainment purposes only. If you decide to make book on this, you agree to hold HotAir and me blameless should you get busted.

steveegg on July 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Abortion isn’t necessarily considered a medical procedure by progressives. It’s more of a culling method to them.

darwin on July 23, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Oh. I thought it was correcting a mistake.

ROCnPhilly on July 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Does President Obama realize how HARD it is to convince most pediatricians to give your kid a tonsillectomy these days?

It used to be that they’d yank them after a kid (like me) had a series of ear infections. Now they try to do everything but surgery, costing more and causing more pain to the kid from the repeated infections.

I couldn’t believe the stupidity of this comment when I first heard it.

*note: Calling President Obama’s comments “stupid” isn’t the same as calling the President “stupid.” At least according to that other stupid thing his administration said today.

29Victor on July 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Jesse Jackson did. How ’bout it, Jesse?

Steve Z on July 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Keep Hope Alive!

coldwarrior on July 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

It’s comments like that, that keep me coming back here. Well put my friend.

Mojave Mark on July 23, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Glad you are here……..

Seven Percent Solution on July 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Know who else steal organs for blood money and tend to be doctors? The Jews. I’m just saying.

/s

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Getting your tonsils removed when you’re a kid is healthy. It’s trickier when you’re an adult. Same with circumcision.
Why didn’t the Bamster mention circumcision?

Coronagold on July 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM

GoodBoy on July 23, 2009 at 7:44 PM

He already got us soldiers, remember “air raiding villages”.

cathode on July 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM

it’s too bad soldiers cannot withdraw support and protection from those who attack them….

ted c on July 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Why didn’t the Bamster mention circumcision?

Coronagold on July 23, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Sorry, hit the wrong button. I had my tonsils out as an adult and it hurts like hades!! I was hittin that morphine button like a Jeopardy contestant on crack..it didn’t help.

GoodBoy on July 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Let me get this straight……….

…… According to Obama, removing tonsils is a crime,

but leaving a baby who survived a botched abortion to die in a closet is OK…………?

Seven Percent Solution on July 23, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I usually don’t quote the entire Comment of the Day™, but since we’re already on Page 2, and this was on Page 1, I’ll make an exception.

steveegg on July 23, 2009 at 7:47 PM

If we could tax one thing in this country, we should tax ignorance.
ted c on July 23, 2009 at 7:38 PM

It called a lottery. Only for the probability math challenged.

NaCly dog on July 23, 2009 at 7:52 PM

“Medicine is the keystone in the arch of socialism.” — V. I. Lenin

harry flashman on July 23, 2009 at 7:53 PM

good one salty dawg–they have a 100% chance of losing their money

ted c on July 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I’m thinking nurses will be next.
Damn those nurses, all using unnecessary needles, helping people shower and use the toilet, changing bandages. they’re a pawn of Big needle, soap, toilet paper, bandage companies.

mjk on July 23, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Don’t forget the Secret Service.

Obama said they might shoot him if he tried to break into the White House. Because he’s black.

daryl_herbert on July 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM

uh huh….cause I thought of it before Obama was stupid enough to say it….so there………..

katy on July 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Are you as turned on as I am?

stonemeister on July 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM

School bus drivers √. Icy day in DC last winter, and he complained about the schools closing down in the local area. A driver I know was pretty caustic about Obama’s ability to drive a long transit bus in traffic that day.

NaCly dog on July 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM

steveegg on July 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Heh, farmers. Wonder how his Rural Tour is faring?

Just can’t picture Dear Leader in a hay field…

atheling on July 23, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Obambi is not going to take this well.

jukin on July 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Are you as turned on as I am?

stonemeister on July 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back with you…. I uh… had to leave for few…uh.. minutes…

katy on July 23, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Is there some way he could alienate Hollywood? I know it sounds crazy, but if anybody could pull it off, it’s him.

Jim Treacher on July 23, 2009 at 7:24 PM
Chastise them for their dreaded “profit motive”?

darwin on July 23, 2009 at 7:27 PM

“Let me be clear: While the rest of the nation is struggling in these tough economic times, which I inherited, too many in Hollywood are making staggering profits. Now, this is America, and they have a right to make a profit. But they don’t have a right to gouge the American consumer at a time when shared sacrifice is needed.

Therefore, I am proposing a second economic stimulus, one which will not cost the American public anything. In fact, it will give 95% of Americans the equivalent of a tax cut. We will establish a “public option” Oversight Board for entertainment, which will serve to keep movie makers honest by acting as a centralized clearinghouse for movie transactions, be it ticket sales, actor compensation or what have you. Let’s face it, if you can buy a red ticket to a movie, or a blue ticket to the same movie for half price, why not buy the cheaper one?

The economies of scale that this will introduce will bend the cost curve down on entertainment, putting us on a sustainable path for the future. Cheaper movie tickets will leave more dollars in the pockets of consumers, and that’s just like a tax cut. This will encourage people to go to the movies, spend money, and thereby stimulate our economy.

We can no longer accept the status quo that the entertainment industry offers us. I’ve received hundreds of letters from folks who struggle to be able to go out to the movies due to the current out-of-control cost structures. We must act, and act quickly. If we do not act, the problem will only continue to get worse. I’m setting a deadline for Congress to pass Comprehensive Entertainment Reform legislation prior to the August recess, which I will be able to sign in time to save or create the summer blockbuster season.”

VekTor on July 23, 2009 at 8:18 PM

It turns out that the real danger of human organ profiteering is not doctors but New Jersey Democrats.

deadman on July 23, 2009 at 8:19 PM

This just in…

The AAO-HNS has offered President a free glossectomy. Anesthesia is not included.

turfmann on July 23, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Someone upthread was asking about changing the color of text. Dunno if this will work – it doesn’t work in preview – but I think this is how it goes:
<FONT COLOR=”#FF0000″>This text should be red</FONT>
<FONT COLOR=”#0000FF”>This text should be blue</FONT>
<FONT COLOR=”#008000″>This text should be green</FONT>

Mary in LA on July 23, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Nuts! :-(

Mary in LA on July 23, 2009 at 8:22 PM

President Dumbo is one dumbo!!

bayview on July 23, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Obviously, soldiers need a union.

platypus on July 23, 2009 at 8:31 PM

platypus on July 23, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Heh, union rules probably wouldn’t allow them to go into places they would get shot at.

boomer on July 23, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I think he lets a “wise Latina” handle the firefighters, while he goes after the soldiers (or more accurately, refuses to acknowledge their being assassinated by radical black Muslim terrorist converts).

Fallen Sparrow on July 23, 2009 at 8:43 PM

soldiers at 5-1

Take soldiers off the list. He jobbed them when he accused them of indiscriminantly killing civilians in Afghanistan during the campaign.

nukemhill on July 23, 2009 at 8:43 PM

What annoyed me about The One’s comment, is that I’ve heard from multiple doctors that they rarely remove tonsils these days (as compared to the past few decades), now that we know they are part of the immune system.

RightWinged on July 23, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I think his real name is Muad’Dib, because his voice just kills me. And it is weird…way too bassy for such a pantywaist frame.

BobMbx on July 23, 2009 at 8:50 PM

i know that everyone knows this, but still…it speaks volumes that Obama loves to Dis people, last night he Dissed Republicans, Health Insurers, Drs., white policmen.

it is the hallmark of the Left that they expect cooperation (and $$$$$) from those they hate (for example, insurers, AMA)

it is like the R’s lashing out at greedy welfare queens, and expecting them to contribute $$$$$ to the effort.

r keller on July 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM

At the rate he’s going insulting various professions, I’d imagine he’s going to have The Village People mad at him by no later than Labor Day.

jon1979 on July 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Can we avoid the reflexive use of “gate” for everything?

How about “Tonsil Hockey“?

cackcon on July 23, 2009 at 9:07 PM

/s
TheUnrepentantGeek on July 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM Between the Jews, doctors, and New Jersey Democrats it’s amazing any of us have any organs at all.

jarodea on July 23, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Arggggh, typed my response in the quote block. How silly of me.

jarodea on July 23, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I’ll say librarians. Just because we are pure evil (just don’t tell anyone, m’kay? It’s a closely guarded secret. And the thing is, no one will believe it.)

rbj on July 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Tomorrow he is going to accuse doctors of selling tonsils on the black market. Well…maybe not “black” market, maybe in the underground market. Big need for used tonsils right now I have heard.

JonRoss on July 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM

who asked about the Rural Farm Tour that bambi initiated?

some of his weirdo czars or cabinet members were in southside virginia (danville area) the other day. 2 people were pulling signs out of their car or from behind their back (from what i understand, they weren’t saying anything) & were ushered out of the area.

ok, maybe the secret service didn’t like them.

anyway, a Va. state trooper visited one of these men later just to “check on him”. we got us some reeeeeeal nice state troopers.

kelley in virginia on July 23, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Anyone notice that the trial lawyers are skating in this debate?

rickyricardo on July 23, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Which indispensable profession will Barry impugn next?

Oh come, now. It’s the Registered Nurses – they are next. Who do they think they are earning the same as EDUCATORS!!!
Something tells me the RN’s are going the way of the Grannies. A lot of stupid women, fawning over an imagined lover. Fools.

bloggless on July 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM

First them,then others,then some more and finally you,the SOB is out to screw every livin’ one of us.

Col.John Wm. Reed on July 23, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Jesse Jackson did. How ’bout it, Jesse?

Steve Z on July 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Keep Hope Alive!

coldwarrior on July 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

That deserves this:

Goldenavatar on July 23, 2009 at 10:05 PM

So, could we talk these ENT’s into removing obambi’s vocal cords….

HornetSting on July 23, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Some people are beginning to learn. About time.

allrsn on July 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM

All will have to go without anesthesia if the public option passes…..the current proposal will pay only 30% of private payors…… You can not do enough volume to make up that loss…….

t on July 23, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Puppy breeders are next.

BO has been a disappointment. A cutier dog would have boosted the President’s poll numbers…

Rockygold on July 23, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Obama was wrong on this, but tell me, why don’t I have any foreskin?

Ortzinator on July 23, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Did The O already go after teachers when he picked the UAW over the teacher’s pension fund in GM-Gate?

Rbastid on July 24, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Hey! He was only referring to the Jewish zionist doctors who perform these unnecessary surgeries. Don’t get your tzitzis in knots.

Uh, there is also the benefit of not having sore throats every month throughout your childhood, teen years, and young adulthood.

Blake on July 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM

cthulhu on July 23, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I was thinking the same thing myself. Sotomayor dissed the firefighters for him already!

LL

Lady Logician on July 24, 2009 at 12:33 AM

katy on July 23, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Uh, well…ahem…I guess the spark is gone!

stonemeister on July 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM

What Obama meant to say – funny and true…….

sherryande on July 24, 2009 at 2:13 AM

VekTor on July 23, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Love this. It would be particularly interesting to see the reactions of all those celebrities who did the embarrassing Obama-worship videos.

DrMagnolias on July 24, 2009 at 5:49 AM

steve at 7:43

I’ll put the farm on soldiers, with maybe some covering action on firefighters. In fact, I’m shocked that you’re giving me 5-1 odds; I figured that it would be no longer than 5-3 …

ROTFLMAO!!! This was an absolute hoot!!! We have to run with this.

Zdad on July 24, 2009 at 6:26 AM

OMG. My 6 yo is having his tonsils and his adenoids removed and his turbinates shrunk on 8/11. I just want him to be able to sleep and not have repeated strep infections. we have an idiot in the oval office.

red131 on July 24, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Obama was wrong on this, but tell me, why don’t I have any foreskin?

Ortzinator on July 23, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Ask your parents.

And why don’t liberal lefty beta males have balls? Did they get them removed because of reimbursement incentives or sre those were just birth defects?

bayview on July 24, 2009 at 7:50 AM

What profession consistently makes bad choices, doesn’t do the ‘right thing’ and instead does what brings in the most money?

Politicians. Campaign contributions are what drives them.

Obama was just projecting…it’s what he’d do if he were a doctor.

Hammertime on July 24, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Thats what Obummer gets for keeping company with Biden.

Stupid is contagious after all.

bloviator on July 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Make no mistake- this was Alinkysim at its worst. Pick a target, demonize it, and make it something from which to gather spoils.

Damn that SOB Obama. Damn him.

drjohn on July 24, 2009 at 9:40 AM

What a statement by Obama to proclaim that the entire doctor/hospital community is simply looking out for their wallets and not their patients. What a dumbfounding statement coming from the POTUS.

I know he has to sell it in a way that shows people are evil and the system is totally broken, but to label all doctors as money grubbing whores is just plain insulting and stupid.

This POTUS throws more groups/people under the bus then Bobby Brown has beaten the crap out of Whitney Houston.

“Crack’ might be wack, but Barack Obama takes it to a “whole-notha-level!”

TheHat on July 24, 2009 at 10:09 AM

He is convinced he is a turn on for nurses. A week ago he hit farmers pretty hard. so they had their turn. He hit Vegas and orlando. How about groceries?

seven on July 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM

This is highly dishonest. Obama never claimed that all instances of tonsil removal were bogus. He put forth a hypothetical in which it might be bogus. Are you saying that his hypothetical is impossible? If so, make that argument. If not, you’re blowing smoke.

orange on July 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM

orange on July 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM

You make the mistake of still taking Barry’s hypotheticals at face value. If you have been paying attention at all over the last 2 years, you would understand that Barry’s crisis-management style is to establish new guidelines that will “fix” all of his hypotheticals by setting the current system on its side and reaming it while it is in a defenseless position. To Barry, the hypotheticals are the rules; he wants us to assume that, if evil truly exists in this world, it is not in the hearts of enemies whose murderous intentions are misunderstood–it is in the greediness of our American authority figures who abuse our trust of them by ruthlessly living well at our expense.

Meanwhile, not a word on House or Cabinet officials taking junkets or his own taking Michelle on New York datenights.

rwenger43 on July 24, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Dear Mr. Obama:

Please Google the Mallampati score. It’s a scale of I to IV as to how occluded a patient’s airways are because of their tonsils and adenoids.

I work in a sleep lab, and in NY, the protocol is that we measure a child’s sleep disordered breathing both before and after so we can mark any improvement in their breathing during sleep.

Most of the children we see are rated on the Mallampati scale betwen III and IV. Some are IV+, which means they have trouble awake and upright.

Just keep showing us your ignorance. Hopefully it’ll keep waking people up and vote your sorryness out the door.

Mommynator on July 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Put me down for a fin on soldiers. He’ll be talking about his plan to allow Afghanistan to fail and collapse back into anarchy (as it won’t hurt us) and soldiers seems the likely idiotic blunder in that case.

Shoot, reading above someone may have already taken all the action on this bet.

gekkobear on July 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM