Wow: Dozens of Democrats lining up against ObamaCare over … abortion?

posted at 6:15 pm on July 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

The Standard counts no fewer than 53 Dems on record as having problems with the House bill, but so lopsided is the blue majority that the GOP would need to peel off 40 of them to block it. That’s not going to happen on Obama’s signature policy initiative. Assuming their objections are economic in nature, Pelosi will simply shower the fencesitters with legislative goodies until enough of them are willing to choke down ObamaCare.

But what if their objections are based on something more profound than economics?

Democratic Rep. Bart Stupak said he is “optimistic” that his campaign to include explicit language condemning the use of federal funds for abortion in the House health care bill will pass the House Energy and Commerce Committee. The congressman from Michigan did however say on today’s “Washington Unplugged” that the House will likley not vote on the bill before their July 31st deadline.

“I think if they do not have [the language] in there and President Obama says we are going to have a bill with nothing in there on abortion, I think it is going to backfire. I think we bring down the rule and it will be explicitly discussed in the health care plan one way or another,” Stupak told Washington Unplugged’s Michelle Levi after a press conference with Republican colleagues on Capitol Hill Wednesday.

Stupak told CBS News that he feels confident that “a minimum of thirty nine” democrats would join him in opposing the legislation proposed by House leaders should the abortion language not be written in.

A bluff? Maybe not. The One was conspicuously solicitous of the pro-life position when asked about this yesterday by Katie Couric:

The president told CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric that he is “not trying to micro-manage what benefits are covered.”

“I’m pro-choice, but I think we also have the tradition in this town, historically, of not financing abortions as part of government-funded health care,” he said, adding: “My main focus is making sure that people have options of high quality care at the lowest possible price.”

I’m astounded that they’ve reached this point of the process without having ironed out a consensus on abortion. Dan Gilgoff, U.S. News’s religious beat reporter, says it’s a clusterfark in the making, with centrist evangelicals using this as a test case to see whether The One’s serious about finding “common ground” with pro-lifers while Planned Parenthood’s busy insisting that “without genuine access to reproductive healthcare, a woman’s right to choose is made meaningless.” I don’t see how they square the circle. If the point of ObamaCare is to provide necessary medical services to the poor, and if it’s the poor who supposedly most need access to abortion because they can least afford the financial hardship of having to feed another child, then how can the left politically afford to shaft them on this? Either the plan is to pass the bill now without abortion funding and then insert the provision at a later date — although who knows if the Dems will ever have the numbers in Congress for that — or they’ve somehow written off Stupak’s pro-life coalition and are going to get the votes they need from a few key Republican defectors, a la cap and trade.

Or a third option: They don’t have the votes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Drudge is reporting that Pelosi says she’s already got the votes.

F$*(#%#*!!!

Skywise on July 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM

The suspense is killing me.

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Like pulling a thread on a sweater, it begins to unravel…

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

That makes sense. A health care bill that funds abortion with federal money WOULD be a faulty bill. Im thinking they’ll cut the deal…seems like a no brainer. Why would anyone really insist the bill include abortions?

Cut the deal Obama, don’t be an idiot.

ernesto on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Flat spin to impact. Eject, eject, eject!!

Fletch54 on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Pelosi’s bluffing

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I’d go with option #2, they’ll have the Maine sisters in their pocket

cmsinaz on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Why would anyone really insist the bill include abortions?

Why would anyone insist that the bill pay for procedures that are at the core of leftist domestic policy? Seriously?

Allahpundit on July 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Pelosi will just offer them cash bribes, just like she did on cap and trade.

Vashta.Nerada on July 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Once upon a time, long ago, politicians actually tried to do what was right for the country. No… really.

HoustonRight on July 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM

What leadership…

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Rahm

knife in table
DEAD!!!

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM

“I’m pro-choice, but I think we also have the tradition in this town,

WTF does he know about “traditions in this town”…. I hope his ego inflates his head to the point that it bursts.

Key West Reader on July 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Where are the statesmen…?

where are the leaders…

where are our Adamses, our Jeffersons… Our Washingtons

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Drudge is reporting that Pelosi says she’s already got the votes.

Skywise on July 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Sounds like a bluff to me.

Blue Dog Dems are openly talking about their problems with the bill, Congressmen are literally getting laughed at, polls show the public now against the legislation, and the Senate has even had to push back the vote with Dems having 60 votes.

Suddenly Nanny McBotox has enough votes to pass the sucker?

amerpundit on July 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I would be flabergasted if the Dems passed ObamaCare without funding for abortions. Even if they just slipped it in later when people were no longer paying attention.

I just don’t see the lefties letting abortion go even if it is just for the short term.

myrenovations on July 22, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Just a thought: If our Bill of Rights grants Americans the RIGHT TO LIFE…. How could slowBama pass legislation that funds death to American citizens?

Key West Reader on July 22, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Here’s the solution: Obamacare covers abortions, but it only pays a buck and a half for them.

rw on July 22, 2009 at 6:22 PM

These are the kind of conscientious objector I like.

portlandon on July 22, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Cut the deal Obama, don’t be an idiot.

ernesto on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

We’re talking about the same administration that repealed the Mexico City Policy — a move which Americans vehemently disagreed with. Abortion is a major part of the liberal agenda. They’re not going to easily give it up.

amerpundit on July 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM

cmsinaz on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

my bad, was thinking senate….time for that margarita now….

cmsinaz on July 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Drudge is reporting that Pelosi says she’s already got the votes.

F$*(#%#*!!!

Skywise on July 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM

If that was true they would vote tomorrow…they can add amendments later.
She is full of it…she doesn’t have the votes, she is saying that to save face.
When they got the votes for the stimulus, they pulled the trigger before anyone would change their mind.
She sees a house crumbling…this is what she will say.
“We have the votes, but out of bi-partisanship we will work with the Republicans to create a bill that everyone will agree to. We do not want to jam this bill down the throat of the American voter, that will be Barneys job (last statement added by me)”

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Rats leaving a sinking ship.

Obama’s numbers are already lower than Jimmy Carter’s were at the same point in their administrations. He will not get the crap-and-trade bill through the senate, and he’s not going to get the votes for Obamacare either. People who voted “hope and change” don’t like the changes he’s making.

As the Obama brand becomes more and more toxic, more and more democrats will distance themselves from it, especially with the looming 2010 elections promising brutal defeat for a lot of them.

Rebar on July 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Where are the statesmen…?

where are the leaders…

where are our Adamses, our Jeffersons… Our Washingtons

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Ted. The Statesman, Leader is sitting at your computer reading my words. You need to run for office.

Key West Reader on July 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM

If Pelosi has the votes then it will pass, and boom goes the dynamite.

2010 will decide if Americans have the seeds to punish those responsible or if the national torpor towards the disasters being heaped upon our heads continues.

Bishop on July 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Just how stupid does a member of congress have to be to fall for this time after time? How could they vote for a bill after getting what they want, knowing the section will be revised later? I know they are corrupt, but retarded too?

Vashta.Nerada on July 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM

“I’m astounded that they’ve reached this point of the process without having ironed out a consensus on abortion.”

I’m surprised anyone in Congress has the nerve to put to vote a 1,000 page bill they have not read and cannot field questions on concerning content.

Government hijacked.

FireBlogger on July 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Why would anyone with a functioning brain insist on the government having ANY influence over their healthcare? These are the same buffoons who can’t balance a budget, handed over billions to investment banks without oversight and have driven medicare and social security into insolvency.

Fletch54 on July 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM

The suspense is killing me.

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Heck, don’t die yet for pete’s sakes, who’s going to take care of you?

Knucklehead on July 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Pelosi is talking out of her ass again ( forgive me invoking that image )

She don’t got the votes…….

Janos Hunyadi on July 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Fletch54 on July 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Key phrase.

amerpundit on July 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM

cmsinaz on July 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM

The Maine chicks don’t help until it gets to the Senate. I don’t think they have the votes. NP is bluffing.

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM

My main problem with the bill is that the government can issue an “end of life” ORDER. See page 429 of the bill.

crosspatch on July 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Mclaughlin voice:
Question

can an abortion provision be slipped into another bill down the line quietly?

Sorry if that’s a dumb question

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Drudge has this:

Yet it isn’t a government plan, it’s a private plan paid for by the taxpayers. If Ogabe says this and no one challenges him directly, it will cement the death of honest journalism in this country.

Bishop on July 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I do not EVER want to be insured by any entity that can order the end of my life when it becomes financially in their interest to do so.

crosspatch on July 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM

agree…I noticed my error….

ready for a margarita?

cmsinaz on July 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Nancy has her poker face on
then again

it’s probably stuck like that

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM

can an abortion provision be slipped into another bill down the line quietly?

Sorry if that’s a dumb question

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Sure it can. We can stick it in the Government Takeover of All Student Loans legislation, buried in between pages 847 and 1087.

Key West Reader on July 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Pelosi will just offer them cash bribes, just like she did on cap and trade.

Vashta.Nerada on July 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Not sure, but I think we’re outta cash.
Last time I checked.

Lanceman on July 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM

OBAMA TONIGHT: ‘So let me be clear: This isn’t about me. I have great health insurance, and so does every Member of Congress’… Developing…

– from Drudge.

AHAHAHAH! If Obama seriously uses that phrase, it’s over. Along with the “rescued” comment… Game over, man. He’s been “mission accomplished”.

Enoxo on July 22, 2009 at 6:29 PM

cmsinaz on July 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I didn’t read fast enough, I’ll join you. I still think it’s a bluff.

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2009 at 6:29 PM

But on the brighter side, Schmucky and the Laut just saved many lives today.

Lanceman on July 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Key West Reader

thanks

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I have to agree abortion is the sacrament of the left. Any bill about health care without abortion or end of life provisions isn’t going anywhere with the left. I also pray abortion and end of life issues are not in the bill.

fourdeucer on July 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Re:Drudge,

What an idiot.

portlandon on July 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM

crosspatch on July 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Well that’s certainly a problem. There was a link floating around earlier to someone who was reading the entire bill and highlighting key portions; this has got to be the worst bill in American history.

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Kill the Bill

fourdeucer on July 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Pro-lifers and conservatives should chill out… this isn’t about abortion in the traditional sense…. this is only about the abortion of our senior citizens.

Get a grip.

BPD on July 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Nancy has her poker face on
then again

it’s probably stuck like that

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM

LMAO!!!!

Key West Reader on July 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Janos Hunyadi on July 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM

If she’s talking that’s the image, don’t blame yourself.

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Vashta
What I think of our elected congresscritters at this point is not printable. They are worse than retarded, they’ve sold their souls thinking we’ll just keep electing them. The only time you’ll witness anything close to the viciousness and tenacity of a politician to stay in office is at the zoo. The Republicans had best listen up and follow the tenets of what they’ve sworn to uphold, rather than be the nice guy and be invited to the next party.

24K lady on July 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I am hoping for a complete TOTUS revolt…if only to have some device to scramble his words…

So let me be me: This isn’t clear, I have great health insurance and so does every member of congress, and you never will have what we have…

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I am someone with personal experiences with abortion protesters. Trust me, if this bill passes with mandated federally funded abortions, this will be the tipping point that a lot of us are looking for.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on July 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

All of this is certainly a novel way out of the Medicare and Social Security problem. Just withhold treatment and allow people to die. Heck, why not ship free cigarettes to everyone over 50 while they are at it.

crosspatch on July 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Here’s that link. Everyone should take a minute to read this and see what’s actually in the bill. Scary stuff.

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM

My Dem Rep is holding this up….hmmmm.
A blind squirrel eventually finds his nuts…

HornetSting on July 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Popcorn time!

GarandFan on July 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

TOTUS REVOLT:

“Let me be clear. Uh. I. Uh. I resign. It was a lot easier agitatin peeps in Chicago. To save Michelle and her children from any Uh more Uh Uh Yes We can Embarrassment Let uh me uh uh be clear. I uh be steppin down and uh I resign. Oh? Scroll it back. I uhhh.”

Key West Reader on July 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on July 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

We already give Planned Parenthood $300 million in tax money annually, and now we fund foreign abortions. But maybe this will be the straw.

Got my Ph.D. at KU, BTW. Are you a Kansan?

jazz_piano on July 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Food and Drug administration test project gone awry?

I can see the headlines now:

Republicans sweep Congress, Soylent Red will be replaced by Soylent Blue.

crosspatch on July 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

crosspatch on July 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Over the years there have been some unscrupulous auto liability and PIP carriers that have practiced that same scenario. The trouble with the HC bill, and what people still fail to understand, is that you cannot sue the government without its permission pursuant to sovereign immunity statutes that have been in place for centuries.

At least with private insurers, there is heavy regulation and if they practice blatant bad faith or malicious denial of claims for their own financial gains, they can and will be shut down.

The government? Not so much. I wish folks would wake the he** up.

Key West Reader on July 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM

jazz_piano on July 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Proudly yes. Born in Hutchinson, lived in Wichita since 87. Cop for ten years. 2 years at WSU.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on July 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Suddenly Nanny McBotox has enough votes to pass the sucker?

amerpundit on July 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM

ACORN will be doing the vote counting for this bill. Didn’t you know?

katablog.com on July 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Beware. I think the abortion thing has been introduced by Dems as a bone being tossed at conservatives to take our eye off the fact that socialized medicine is what is on the table. When the salesman starts talking about the warranty or other details of the sale as though it were a done deal, that’s when you need to check your pocket and see if your wallet’s been lifted.

evergreen on July 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

crosspatch on July 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM

What the…do you have a link?

The moment I read your comment a vision of flames and shotgun-wielding horsemen ran through my mind.

Bishop on July 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM

As I recall, he campaigned on the basis of doing things differently. It seems a strange time to bring up Washington “traditions” (and really, is this one of them?) when, as Allahpundit said, abortion is at the core of leftist domestic policy.

DrMagnolias on July 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I am so concerned that people are letting Obama/Pelosi address single issues like abortion or fidgeting with the tax rates, THE BIG ISSUE IS THE PUBLIC OPTION. IF THAT PASSES ALL THE REST IS MOOT.

People must realize that the public option must be defeated. PERIOD!! All the rest is window dressing.

exceller on July 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

jazz_piano on July 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Arrested a few at the 91 Summer of Mercy protests. Made CNN in 93 when I arrested a protest leader climbing my patrol car after I unfortunately had to arrest an 84 yr old woman. Trust me, abortion is the emotional issue that when spelled out that we will pay for it will be the tipping point. Not Iraq, economy, or gun control. This will be the back breaker.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on July 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Health Control bill full text.

katablog.com on July 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM

For current reference, see the case about the Air Force guy who just had to have his legs amputated because the surgeon made a mistake on something completely unrelated to his limbs.

The Airman is out of luck, completely.

Bishop on July 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Pelosi is lying. If she had the votes the bill would be on the floor TODAY — especially with Obama speaking on it tonight.

rockmom on July 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Pg 429 says the physician may issue the end of life order but then it says “in accordance” with the patient’s wishes. This could get a bit dicey since doctors don’t always get it “right” and when it’s been completed, who is there to testify otherwise? You better really trust your doctor! (the one the government issues to you)

katablog.com on July 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Wow? There’s no wow.
You just underestimated the influence of social conservatives again.

Ronnie on July 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on July 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Lived in Hutch briefly myself, parents married there. They’re in Wichita now, both alums of WSU.

jazz_piano on July 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM

You better really trust your doctor! (the one the government issues to you)

The ones who are left after the inevitable culling of the medical system takes place?

I just hope my doc speaks passable English.

Bishop on July 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Pelosi is lying.

rockmom on July 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Lying is her natural inclination. It would be unnatural for her to tell the truth.

darwin on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

I’ve got to run, as my wife is at the hospital getting ready to have baby #3. Keep us in your prayers!

jazz_piano on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM
rockmom on July 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM
Anyone think she is telling the truth?

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

jazz_piano on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Congrats and good luck!

darwin on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Anyone think she is telling the truth?

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

darwin on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

jazz_piano on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Will do…let us know the result…Tres Amigos!!

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM

jazz_piano on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Good luck to you.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on July 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM

darwin on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

I would love to see that question on dKos, I would bet honestly they would have the same answer…no, just a different reason for it.

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Popcorn time!

GarandFan on July 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Popcorn my a$$….I’m pullin’ out a couple of fillets to bbq and a good bottle of Red. Tonight, when Obama finishes crying about these mean obstructionist Republicans derailing his plan to take over (CONTROL) national health care, each bite will be chewed slowly to enjoy the reflection of putting this (insert adjective) back on his heels from a “right hook” of reality from the American public.

Rovin on July 22, 2009 at 6:59 PM

traditions ≠ change

davidk on July 22, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I just hope my doc speaks passable English.

Bishop on July 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I just hope mine performs passable surgery.

myrenovations on July 22, 2009 at 6:59 PM

just a different reason for it.

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 6:58 PM

They’d rationalize it as a necessity.

darwin on July 22, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Bishop on July 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM

My daughter was born with an Air Force doc when I was stationed in Germany. She did a great job.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on July 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM

When you begin to allow doctors to kill patients, particularly patients that might be unconscious, there ARE going to be mistakes. They are going to end up from time to time killing the wrong person. Someone dies of natural causes before the order can be carried out, someone else gets moved into that room … doctor on shift sees the order, and carries it out … on the wrong person.

Thank God the government NEVER makes mistakes and paperwork is ALWAYS perfect.

crosspatch on July 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM

jazz_piano on July 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Congrats
I can watch your kids (just buy me booze)!

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM

rw on July 22, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I have a better solution.

We take that buck fifty and stimulate the economy by buying wire hangers and brawney paper towels.

Provide every liberal woman who wants a governement funded abortion of convenience a broom closet at the health center, hand then the hanger a fw pieces of brawney and tell them to have fun.

YOu want to murder an inocent? There should be a risk involved.

Hey its your body, so you do it.

BillaryMcBush on July 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Suddenly Nanny McBotox has enough votes to pass the sucker?

amerpundit on July 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM

And she comes out today? Please! If she had the votes, they’d have voted on it yesterday!

SouthernGent on July 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Pelosi does not have the votes. Liar. Bluff has some dignity. She don’t have any…damned liar.

She will try to spin it and lots will lap the pablum up, but methinks, just maybe, the loons have jumped a bridge too far.

Slight analogy to the Red Berets or the Germans who took them down at Arnheim, but both groups had more honor to the man than the Congress in total.

The loons are on the ground, running out of ammo, time, no Plan B…it ain’t going well. There’s a rumble far off of approaching tanks. And the rest of the mission is also in trouble, not a lot of reinforcements available.

His Presidency might be ruined. Sweet!

Harry Schell on July 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Congrats
I can watch your kids (just buy me booze)!

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM

We’ve had a lot of rain lately. You mow my lawn and I will buy the Becks. One question: Light or dark?

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on July 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM

I can see a whole Monty Python skit here:

Who are you?

I am your doctor and I am here to carry out your end of life order.

I never signed any such order!

Yes you did, I have it right here.

I certainly did not but in any case, just note that I have
changed my mind.

There’s no box for “changed mind”. Sorry, we will have to carry out the order as you requested.

But I didn’t request it!

Yes you did, I have it right here …

crosspatch on July 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I just hope my doc speaks passable English.

I would not count on that one. With military health care I found about 1 in 3 did not speak any language I could understand. You see Indian and Pakistani doctors work really cheap. Your health control will become like talking to Dell Tech Support – just hope the blue screen of death doesn’t come up!

I strongly believe that this legislation will happen in the dark of night with several hundred pages of amendments thrown in (even though the current legislation is IMHO impossible to read with the mark-ups). They’ll tell you “not before the August recess and then wham-o, the day before the recess it will hit the floor with a boom. Now which of your “representatives” are going to delay their planned vacation for a silly little think like arguing about YOUR health care? Any one wanna bet?

katablog.com on July 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM