Obama to Dems wavering on health care: “You’re going to destroy my presidency”

posted at 12:06 pm on July 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

Like I told you the other day: It’s all about the O. Isn’t it always?

Grassley said he spoke with a Democratic House member last week who shared Obama’s bleak reaction during a private meeting to reports that some factions of House Democrats were lining up to stall or even take down the overhaul unless leaders made major changes.

“Let’s just lay everything on the table,” Grassley said. “A Democrat congressman last week told me after a conversation with the president that the president had trouble in the House of Representatives, and it wasn’t going to pass if there weren’t some changes made … and the president says, ‘You’re going to destroy my presidency.’”

Consider this a complete vindication of DeMint’s point, which Obama pretended to take such offense at, that if the GOP defeats ObamaCare “it will be his Waterloo, it will break him…” Evidently The One couldn’t agree more, and with good reason. If he can’t deliver on his centerpiece policy goal with bulletproof majorities in Congress, not only will it haunt him in 2012 but he’ll have to reconsider the public’s appetite for the whole Hopenchange/Great Society agenda. Failure wouldn’t destroy his presidency so much as it would destroy his presidency as he imagined it; he’d have to remake himself as a sort of Clintonian centrist and become the “pragmatist” all those thoughtful conservatives like David Brooks and Christopher Buckley promised us he’d be before he was sworn in and started pushing 13-digit deficits.

Here’s Krauthammer from last night’s “Special Report” explaining the stakes and why, in the end, Obama will swallow whatever watered-down crap Congress hands him. Hint: It’s all about the O.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

this is epic in proportion—we are front and center in this history folks.

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Very much so. Depending on how things go, this point in time could stand out for centuries, if not millenia. Unfortunately, it is more likely to end up as the world’s greatest cautionary tale.

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 1:01 PM

this will be seen as an epic stand for freedom and liberty. This will be the day when statist liberalism…enters the coffin…. and closes its own lid….

stay tuned… during commercials call your congressman…

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 1:03 PM

One minute ago:

Jaketapper RT @DavidShuster Dramatic movement in U-S House: Today Pelosi, “no question we have the votes now to pass (health care) legislation.”

JiangxiDad on July 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I saw that too.

What is going on????? Feels crazy…

Mommypundit on July 22, 2009 at 1:03 PM

If Pelosi had the votes, they’d be voting on it today. She can tell a lie with a straight face that’s for sure! Of course, gallons of Botox helps.

SouthernGent on July 22, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I believe it will pass. Obama is not above doing anything to get his way. Break legs. Threaten lives. Blackmail. Payoffs. He’s a virtual mobster.

Daggett on July 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM

It’s surely been said, but Chairman 0′s doing a pretty good job of this all by himself!
I wish we could call a special election right now – The Reds would be whipped.

Sign of the Dollar on July 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM

You can tell Barry his nervous. His lips are purple. Lack of Oxygen to the brain. I pray his teleprompter fails too.

Geochelone on July 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM

is he going to show us his “O” face tonight….

or is that what NBC journalists wish they could show him…

O..O…OOOO

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I hope you’re referring to a cigarette. I just ate.

Thunderstorm129 on July 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Neither.

Jim Treacher on July 22, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I guess when all of your political capital is spent, the only thing left between you and your agenda is someone’s femur…heck, why not?

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 1:06 PM

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 1:03 PM

That would be great, but it could also end up as a tale of how mass insanity drove the greatest nation that ever existed to simply kill itself, perhaps serving to discredit leftist collectivist idiocy in the future but not doing much to help save us.

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Obama to Dems wavering on health care: “You’re going to destroy my presidency”

Our rallying cry should be: Destroy Obama’s Presidency!

Christian Conservative on July 22, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Geochelone on July 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM

RAAAAAAAAAACIST!!!

BPD on July 22, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I tell you what, Brad Paisley has fallen clean off my play list. I am so disappointed. On topic, we can only pray that they are bluffing on the votes. Also, maybe it will pass in the house and tank in the senate.

TXMomof3 on July 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Seems like Obama is going to declare HC victory tonight.
JiangxiDad on July 22, 2009 at 12:51 PM

This is why Hoyer and Pelosi both came out with optimistic statements about having votes. They want to allow The One to come on TV tonight with a positive spin.

Politics is an ugly business. Winning is all that matters, not what is best for all.

FireBlogger on July 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM

progress..No–I have faith. Our country went from 0 to 100mph in WWII to increase production, create an army, a seagoing navy and Marine Corps—and we prevailed. We were depressed farmers prior to that. We have it in our blood to fight off enemies, we have it in our destiny to preserve freedom, we have it in our blood to fend off this. It’ll take time, but we’ll get to it. have faith young jedi, have faith.

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM

“You’re going to destroy my presidency”

Oh, I certainly hope so, and YOU along with it, obama!

HornetSting on July 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Seems like Obama is going to declare HC victory tonight.

JiangxiDad on July 22, 2009 at 12:51 PM

The most compelling argument for the American people tonight will be the threat of daily primetime press conferences by The One. If this drags out past August, he’ll be ruining the new prime time TV.

Actually I’m hoping he keeps the TV pressure up and more stations refuse to air the press conferences, like Fox did that time.

On that note, I’m surprised we haven’t seen any direct “boy who cries wolf” analogies yet. The press has been hinting about his omnipresence, but I’d love to see those words in print on on the air.

NickelAndDime on July 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM

From your keyboard to G-d’s monitor.

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM

You’re going to destroy my presidency.’-The One

Tough Noogies.

CynicalOptimist on July 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Better to destroy his presidency than our country.

enoughalready on July 22, 2009 at 1:13 PM

“and if my people would repent and call me by name, I shall heal their land….”

–God…

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 1:13 PM

If the future was certain that the Senate would not pass this bill, I would not mind seeing the House vote on this bill so we can see where our Reps stand…especially Mark Kirk.

WashJeff on July 22, 2009 at 1:13 PM

“You’re going to destroy my presidency”

Let’s hope so.

:]

bluelightbrigade on July 22, 2009 at 1:14 PM

If this drags out past August, he’ll be ruining the new prime time TV.

As long as this tired clown act doesn’t pre-empt football this fall, he can take over prime time on the networks all he wants, as far as I’m concerned.

Because that will really make the majority of voters start to despise him, which is a good thing.

NoDonkey on July 22, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Hillary: “You’re going to destroy my presidency”

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM

and the president says, ‘You’re going to destroy my presidency.’”

To quote John Dean, “There is a cancer on the Presidency.” Time for some Executive Chemotherapy.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Righties: Loathe who he might become.

Lefties: Loathe who he won’t become.

2012. Popcorn nirvanna

Limerick on July 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Hey, where’s all the trolls? Grow Fins, Bunny Shaker…..I imagine, after the epic fall of their dear leader, they are all in padded rooms in straight jackets….
Let’s put obama in the same room!

HornetSting on July 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM

How much wheeling and dealing is being done right now, I wonder? How many promises of how many future federal dollars for districts, states, and pet programs? How many plum chairmanships?

DrSteve on July 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Palin Tweet tomorrow: “My next house is the White House”

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I guess God wanted Americans involved in their politics again. He seems to be able to get what he wants :)

JiangxiDad on July 22, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Notice all the gray hair for Barry? “Just for Men” asked him to stop using their product.

sibobr on July 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Great video, even with the goofy costume. We need to wake our neighbors out of their stupor and take back our country: http://bit.ly/7hkfk

Please view and share – relentlessly!

redfoxbluestate on July 22, 2009 at 1:21 PM

You’re going to destroy my presidency.’-The One

You’re going to destroy my nation- The Outraged Many

highhopes on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Anybody up on House rules regarding Aye/Nay voice votes?

Chris_Balsz on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM

The problem is that the President has no real sales experience. He doesn’t consider the “What’s in it for me?” angle.

Now, if he’s saying that it will bring down his power and the targeted Dems as well, then that’s a real WIIFM statement. If it’s all focused on him, then that doesn’t have much persuasive power.

meep on July 22, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Without sales experience, Obama doesn’t consider the “What’s in it for YOU” angle. All the “Yes We Can” was really about “Yes I Can”, and “Judgment to Lead” was about HIS supposed “judgment”.

But to ask ordinary voters to fork over more tax dollars for something, you’ve got to tell them “what’s in it for THEM”, not what’s in it for HIM. Trying to pass a law that TELLS people what health-care they can’t get, take two aspirins and forget the pacemaker, and that they can’t sign up for new private insurance doesn’t answer the question, “what’s in this for THEM”. More and more voters are answering that question for Obama: Not a whole lot.

So Obama is now badgering Congressmen from his own party: “Yes We Can (read: Yes I Can), don’t bring down MY presidency.” To which the Blue Dogs say, “what’s in this for ME–unemployment in 2011? I need time to meet my constituents, and I’ll get back to you…”

It’s all about the O. It always was. It always will be. Two books, all about the O. Take a look in the mirror, Barry O. You’ve got big ears. Time to use them, for a Change.

Steve Z on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM

This ain’t going to help you mister president:

General Motors posted Wednesday a 22 percent global sales drop from a year earlier for the first six months of 2009 amid the economic slowdown and the automaker’s slide into bankruptcy.

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Time for another major speech on race.

Or, another beach photo-op. Maybe in a thong.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM

SouthernGent on July 22, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Priming the pump for tonight. I’m afraid she’s holding 5 aces and wants to let Barry bask in the warm glow. She isn’t going to jerk the rug out from under him,..we’ll see how triumphant he sounds tonight.

a capella on July 22, 2009 at 1:24 PM

The real message for the Democrats is if they don’t destroy his presidency he’ll destroy the country.

rplat on July 22, 2009 at 1:25 PM

SouthernGent on July 22, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that the House hasn’t even finished the mark-up process yet. This is that time-honored political tactic of making a statement designed to prevent backsliding rather than actually mark forward progress. Plus, it gives the filthy liar the ability to go on national television tonight and say that he has been assured by Pelosi the House is ready to vote in favor of Obamacare.

highhopes on July 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Burn baby burn.

Contact your congresscritters tomorrow. Repeatedly. Let them know they have more to fear from the public than anything Obummer can throw at them.

bloviator on July 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Or, another beach photo-op. Maybe in a thong.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM

shudder

cmsinaz on July 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Or, another beach photo-op. Maybe in a thong.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM

WTF

Was that necessary?

BPD on July 22, 2009 at 1:27 PM

After we crafted the architecture of our plan, the first person I went to was Ted Kennedy…

Why Romney won’t be accepted by conservatives…
It is better not to pass a bill, then a bad bill.

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 1:27 PM

This is far from over. Don’t underestimate the lengths to which this ruthless bunch of thugs from Chicago will go. As we speak, horse trading, threats, promises et al is going on behind the scenes. Not to mention how invested the MSM is in Obama’s success.

mountainmanbob on July 22, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Earth to Barry:

“You’re destroying my country!”

drjohn on July 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM

bob—let ‘em promise, let ‘em spend money. Those House Dems and Blue dogs are seeing those promises not materialize into anything except jack and squat.

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM

bpd, sorry. washing my fingers off with soap now.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Yes he is. It’s the notion of giving the Dems enough rope. It’s Churchill saying “never kill an enemy while he’s committing suicide.”

John the Libertarian on July 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM

No, he’s not god. And it’s ridiculous to underestimate the power of the democrats and allow them to control the debate. Again, in the end if things start turning around for them, the republicans will be left holding nothing.

Blake on July 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM

a capella on July 22, 2009 at 1:24 PM

All the conflicting information is somewhat nerveracking. Would Pelosi and Hoyer claim they had the votes if they didn’t? Yes. But it doesn’t mean they don’t have the votes, either.

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Why does it feel like all hell is breaking loose?

teffertoes on July 22, 2009 at 12:50 PM

They’re going to need an massive fan to handle the volume.

Also, Pelosi is not bluffing. Crazy narssists don’t bluff; they get suprised.

Jed_Eckert on July 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM

This is my prediction, after rubbing my temples and seeing the future……..

Gang Bang of Fourteen, led by mccain, will get together for a meeting on ‘salvaging’ this bill…..

HornetSting on July 22, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Gary Vavel: The Hard Sell

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 22, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I think they will pass this despite the public outcry against it.
I think this is the beginning of the end for these elitist snobs.

ORconservative on July 22, 2009 at 1:35 PM

“It’s not about me.” LMFAO

marklmail on July 22, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Not to mention how invested the MSM is in Obama’s success.

Then they are invested in swampland.

Even if Bammy manages to ram his idiotic agenda through, the results will be an ongoing recession.

And even if he doesn’t, the jackass “stimulus” package he rammed through reeks so bad, that the economy will be in recession at least through 2010, meaning that Democrats will be hurled bodily out of Congress by enraged voters.

In 2012, the novelty of voting for a black man will have worn out, that’s if he even runs again.

NoDonkey on July 22, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Oh, I fully expect it WILL pass.

There will be big pork added to the ‘waverers’ districts in last minute amendments, and cash donations for their pockets re-election funds.

Just like they did to get “Crap and Tax” passed.

LegendHasIt on July 22, 2009 at 1:36 PM

“You’re going to destroy my presidency”

1. Someone had to, Douchenozzle.

2. No, sir. You did that all by yourself.

Jaibones on July 22, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I think they will pass this despite the public outcry against it.
I think this is the beginning of the end for these elitist snobs.

ORconservative on July 22, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Sadly, they can take this nation down with them, as guilt-filled, self-hating, suicidal liberals are want to do. The closer these maniacs get to losing, the more dangerous they become.

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 1:38 PM

The one thing more important to dems then this bill, is their re-election. They would all let the mothers die without care if it meant they could get re-elected.
As long as we show them that voting for this bill will be the quickest way for them to lose their job…this bill will never be passed.
I don’t care how ruthless, how much pressure is put on…the threat of any of these dems having to go out and actually work, actually not feeding at the government trough is unbearable to them.
We have to be sure they know a vote for this, is a vote to remove them.

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Here I have to empathize with Obama, especially considering all the “empathy” Obama has shown for the political careers of Alice Palmer, Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin and George W. Bush. /snark

As usual, it’s “always about Barack”, “always about what Barack wants”.

Didn’t Obama just get his mug on TV saying that Healthscare reform wasn’t about him in a rebuttal to Jim DeMint?

Didn’t he just admit to the Dem Congress that it is all about him?

OxyCon on July 22, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Hint: It’s all about the O.

Truly. He’s just an old-fashioned 1960s liberal with an updated Chicago-style corruption feature.

Jaibones on July 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Time for another major speech on race.

Or, another beach photo-op. Maybe in a thong.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Oh, dear God. Please tell me there is no such thing as a mom thong!

Yoop on July 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM

What does it mean when a Democrat makes an affirmative statement? Really not much. “Having the vote,” and “holding a vote” are two different things. If the Dems cancelled a second mark-up session last night on this bill, how is it ready for a vote today?

smellthecoffee on July 22, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Time for another major speech on race.

Or, another beach photo-op. Maybe in a thong.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM
Oh, dear God. Please tell me there is no such thing as a mom thong!

Yoop on July 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Or a puppy with a bum leg, because he didn’t have insurance…..

HornetSting on July 22, 2009 at 1:42 PM

OF course it’s about ” HIM “. And no, only he will make or break himself. OPPOSITION to his policies will not hurt him, only promoting socialism in a free country will hurt him and will be a result of his own action.

tx2654 on July 22, 2009 at 1:44 PM

The AP is claiming that Obama may need to wait, at least until after the August recess.

Drudge has this up under the headline “SOS”.

teke184 on July 22, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Our country went from 0 to 100mph in WWII to increase production, create an army, a seagoing navy and Marine Corps—and we prevailed. We were depressed farmers prior to that. .
ted c on July 22, 2009

So, is a world war the only thing that will save our nation?

Heck I’ll take it if it would restore the America I once knew. I’d rather live in the “Terminator” world where everythings been nuked and the resistance fights on as opposed to slinking in a corner and submitting to marxist as they destroy us from within.

Goodeye_Closed on July 22, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Jimmy Carter is laughing.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM

No Mr. Obama, they’re not destrying your presidency. You’re doing a great job of it all by yourself. What they’re doing is saving us from you.

TrickyDick on July 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM

HOPE!!! Here’s the hope he’s been talking about the hope that his Presidency is destroyed before he can destroy America any further.

MobileVideoEngineer on July 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM

A metaphor for Obama getting blocked on health care, Gates getting arrested by a Cambridge cop, or both?

This is hilarious.

The accused speeder’s voice reminds me of a very pissed off version of this guy.

Mr. Joe on July 22, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Time for another major speech on race.

Or, another beach photo-op. Maybe in a thong.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM

It would be funny to see him in that mankini Borat wears…lol!

I think the next step for Obama would be to give out free cars to everyone who shows up for his next staged Townhall/Oprah event. Then he can do another one where he gives out free houses.

OxyCon on July 22, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Jimmy Carter is laughing.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM

He saw his one chance to not being the worst President ever and he took it. And Biden was simply the icing on the cake. I am sure this is why he endorsed le O.

Jed_Eckert on July 22, 2009 at 2:09 PM

We have it in our blood to fight off enemies

Hmmm…is this why I’ve had a burning desire to acquire an M1 Garand lately? The weapon that fought off the National Socialists once before? Probably just been watching too many WWII specials lately…/

EyeSurgeon on July 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Obama: I want a hamburger…no a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake. I want potato chips.

Ted Torgerson on July 22, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Ted Torgerson on July 22, 2009 at 2:18 PM

You’ll get nothing and like it!

NoDonkey on July 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM

They’ve got the votes because many Congressmen have left for recess already. The remaining Congressmen must all be in favor.

If this bill fails in Congress for some inexplicable reason, look to see it implimented via regulation.

As Bush’s Presidency was defined 6 months into his first term, we’ll see the Messiah’s Presidency defined by the Death Care bill 6 months into His.

As someone above said the idiots have taken over and will destroy this country, worse when Death Care comes for them, the idiots will meekly go along – “It’s free right?”, they will ask.

Friendly21 on July 22, 2009 at 2:31 PM

On a ligher note, a certain blogger may be moving soon:

Friendly21 on July 22, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I can envision Michy with her two strong arms yanking The One up off of his knees and slapping his tear-stained, snot-bubbled face a few times saying, “Oh no! You’re not going to f— this up for me you whiny little b*tch! You better get out there tomorrow night on TV and act like a man!”

This is great for the GOP (including RINOs unfortunately) but bad for America. All these other countries like Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, etc. respect is power-to paraphrase General Patton, that’s all they understand. They may not have liked Bush but they respected him and didn’t really push him until the Libtards over here started taking over and emboldened them.

They smelled weakness from this White House long ago, but now they smell blood in the water-and that ain’t good.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Push at him all the harder, folks. He’s not failing fast enough.

beatcanvas on July 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM

More, faster please

jnelchef on July 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I think he is worse than Jimmah Carter. And it took him only 6 months to show it.

cjs1943 on July 22, 2009 at 2:38 PM

If he continues to plunge in the polls, I don’t think he’ll be able to run in 2012.

Wanna bet that some sob story will be manufactured so he has to retire from political life, and just surface to make speeches on college campuses and write his memoirs?

Who in 2012 for the Dems then?

atheling on July 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM

His childlike reactions are not a surprise. I hope his program goes down in flames and he goes down with it. History will show that he is the absolute worst president in the history of our country.

UnEasyRider on July 22, 2009 at 3:00 PM

The other day I read some of the Republican ideas on health care reform. I am sure the blue dogs would go along with a lot of them, such as creating high risks pools allowing people to get more affordable coverage.

I wonder if Obama would do something like that just so he could say he came up with some kind of reform.

Terrye on July 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM

So Democrat congressmen are Rushists, now?

tom on July 22, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Jimmy Carter is looking more and more like a President every day….

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Wait – isn’t this a quote from yesterday: “It’s not about me”

Queen0fCups on July 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM

The reason Obama brought up that quote is because it makes it clear that the GOP is at least as interested in defeating Obama’s agenda for political purposes as it is because it opposes his policy.

If you dont believe me, listen to George Voinovich:

Host: Senator, one question, before we go, on health care. How much of this disagreement with the administration is about the policy of health care and how to fix it, and how much of it is Republicans’ obviously understandable desire to declaw the president politically. How much does that fit into the equation?

Voinovich: I think it’s probably 50-50.

Or listen to Bill Kristol, who has lately been saying roughly the same stuff that he said back in 1993.

Republicans are fighting this to save their skins. Their opinions of the actual policy arent particularly relevent to them. To them, the most important thing is that Obama fails, regardless of what he’s trying to do for the American people. Dont believe me? Re-read the above links.

orange on July 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Orange, that is because they don’t want America to die. They should be praised.

BPD on July 22, 2009 at 3:15 PM

this cartoon sums up Obamacare—-shovel ready

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 3:16 PM

…he’d have to… become the “pragmatist” all those thoughtful conservatives like David Brooks and Christopher Buckley promised us he’d be…
Allah

Whoa, mannn. Good reminder of a couple of clowns (Buckley especially!) that should have their noses rubbed in it!

RINO’s!

DamnYankee on July 22, 2009 at 3:23 PM

So, where are all the doctors on this issue? How come they aren’t howling in protest?

Wyznowski on July 22, 2009 at 3:29 PM