Obama to Dems wavering on health care: “You’re going to destroy my presidency”

posted at 12:06 pm on July 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

Like I told you the other day: It’s all about the O. Isn’t it always?

Grassley said he spoke with a Democratic House member last week who shared Obama’s bleak reaction during a private meeting to reports that some factions of House Democrats were lining up to stall or even take down the overhaul unless leaders made major changes.

“Let’s just lay everything on the table,” Grassley said. “A Democrat congressman last week told me after a conversation with the president that the president had trouble in the House of Representatives, and it wasn’t going to pass if there weren’t some changes made … and the president says, ‘You’re going to destroy my presidency.’”

Consider this a complete vindication of DeMint’s point, which Obama pretended to take such offense at, that if the GOP defeats ObamaCare “it will be his Waterloo, it will break him…” Evidently The One couldn’t agree more, and with good reason. If he can’t deliver on his centerpiece policy goal with bulletproof majorities in Congress, not only will it haunt him in 2012 but he’ll have to reconsider the public’s appetite for the whole Hopenchange/Great Society agenda. Failure wouldn’t destroy his presidency so much as it would destroy his presidency as he imagined it; he’d have to remake himself as a sort of Clintonian centrist and become the “pragmatist” all those thoughtful conservatives like David Brooks and Christopher Buckley promised us he’d be before he was sworn in and started pushing 13-digit deficits.

Here’s Krauthammer from last night’s “Special Report” explaining the stakes and why, in the end, Obama will swallow whatever watered-down crap Congress hands him. Hint: It’s all about the O.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I sincerely hope so.

Bob's Kid on July 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Push at him all the harder, folks. He’s not failing fast enough.

beatcanvas on July 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM

It’s already destroyed. That stimulus nonsense did it.

Resign now, Barry. Spend more time with the wife, kids and the puppies.

And take that jackass Biden with you, he is qualified to clean up after the puppy and nothing more.

NoDonkey on July 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Dear Leader will not accept rejection…there will be blood.

d1carter on July 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I am uh Barackules the Great and you are not supplicant enough….

makes the O-cropolis all the more appropo I think

sven10077 on July 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Democrats need to make it personal because they know their policies suck.

JohnJ on July 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Obama to Dems wavering on health care: “You’re going to destroy my presidency”

Iran, double-digit unemployment, Afghanistan, cap-and-tax to Bama: “….health care destroyed it… sure….. *chuckle*”

battleoflepanto1571 on July 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Imagine the gloating this jackhole will do once the dems push this through.

cntrlfrk on July 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM

This is not the sycophantic America I know.

Pasalubong on July 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM

It’s all about the “O, crap… the country’s finances are going down the crapper! O well, let’s speed the descent… you knOw, for the children.”

Abby Adams on July 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM

‘You’re going to destroy my presidency.’

From THE ONE’s lips to God’s ear.

Everyone of us has a job of education to do. Tell your family, friends, and neighbors of the monstrosity…and the monsters behind it…that is this administration.

Ragspierre on July 22, 2009 at 12:10 PM

“Oversold.com

It’s all about the O.”

Thunderstorm129 on July 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM

You peckerheads bitch and moan that Fox doesnt credit you with stories, then you dont hat tip your readers.

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Oh Barack Don’t Worry, you can take over for Oprah when she retires. After all you like being on TV more than anything else.

BillaryMcBush on July 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM

He needs an exit strategy where he can claim “victory” with lots of talk about it not going far enough but it is better than nothing. Sorta the way Clinton made it clear he was only signing welfare reform because the GOP was making him. Of course, in Clinton’s case, welfare reform worked and Clinton revised history to the point he was the one pounding on Newt’s desk demanding that more be done. In the case of healthcare reform and Obama- whatever passes as a victory will be made the excuse in future years because it didn’t go far enough because of politics.

highhopes on July 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Also, I have ABBA’s “Waterloo” in my head now.

Pasalubong on July 22, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I never thought he’d be so explicit about that. He must be getting awfully antsy. Of course I didn’t think he’d double down on this even though it’s an important part of his agenda; if he wants health care reform, he’s got several years still to do it. The way he’s going about it is high risk, same reward.

Patrick Ishmael on July 22, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Any defeat of Obama is a victory for the rest of us.

fourdeucer on July 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I’m sure somewhere deep down they are hearing their inner Rush: “Mr. President, if your policies lead this country into socialism, your damn right I want you to fail”.

Kataklysmic on July 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I don’t want any watered down crap, I want some actual reform and changes that make sense. I would imagine a lot of Americans would agree. But that’s not what we’ll get.

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Piece O’ Chit In Chief.

Griz on July 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Because it’s all about Barry.

Not the country. Barry.

We’ve had bad Presidents, but even Bill Clinton wasn’t THIS self-absorbed and self-pitying.

He thinks we’re all bit players in the Barack Obama show.

I guess no daddy and a weird relationship with his typically white mamma and gramma produced this vain, bizarre manchild, but why anyone thinks this guy would make a good President, escapes me.

NoDonkey on July 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM

What the Republican leaders need to understand is that Obama has been stabbed, shot, whipped…but until the stake is driven through the heart, this vampire will continue to suck the blood from us.
This is the time to drive that stake…

right2bright on July 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Maybe America is finally, F I N A L L Y figuring out that Obama is just not that into her. He wants to change this country in ways that cannot be simply “undone” by future presidents. It’s about him and his messianic personality. Stop him now folks.

Sugar Land on July 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Also, I have ABBA’s “Waterloo” in my head now.

Pasalubong on July 22, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Nothing can stop ABBA!!!!

WashJeff on July 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Are they going to have beer and a Rock Band at the Presser tonight?

Dire Straits on July 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM

THE ROOF, THE ROOF, THE ROOF IS ON FIRE! WE DON’T NEED NO WATER, LET THE MOTHER F-CKER BURN!

burn barry……just burn.

Ghoul aid on July 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Good! FU Barry!

daesleeper on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

He’s a narcissist. Even the dog is about him – Bo (Barak Obama).

Jed_Eckert on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Needs a Surrender Czar

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

There can be virtually no question at this point…Barry Obama’s entire life has been about HIMSELF. That’s why the sum total of his entire adult life has been about either campaigning for himself or writing books about himself.

That he’s going to be the worst President this country has seen since Jimmy Carter is almost without question. The problem is, can this country ever recover from the damage that he and the Democrats are doing to it.

The real problem? Every single American voter who voted for this schmuck because it made them feel good inside to vote for a (half) black man. Made them feel “enlightened”

Barry O…America’s worst nightmare come true. Sadly, people are only now just realizing it. How “enlightened” are you feeling now, morons?

WhatDukeSaid on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

“You’re going to destroy my presidency.”

It’s not about him though, right?

EA_MAN on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Jesus Christ tap-dancing on a cracker.

Someone fire up the WAAAAAHbulance for the idiot.

Enoxo on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Here’s what would makes sense: get government out of the business of distorting the markets in health care.

Simple. It works every time it is tried. Like magic, to people who don’t understand markets.

Ragspierre on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

He’ll get something to save face, Dems need him to stay popular. Plus GOP knows things need to change, the raping that Medicare/caid have been taking in expanding costs is not sustainable, so some tweaks will be made. Let’s just hope that the Blue Dogs and GOP get together and force them to pass a free market, pro-competition bill. Watch, BO and the Dems will still take credit for it…because it did/will happen.

NickelAndDime on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

He is laughably juvenile. I think he needs a whaaamburger and some french cries.

hollygolightly on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Better your Presidency than the country, sport.

CDeb on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

highhopes on July 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Which will be used as a rational for pushing a single-payer system 15 or 20 years from now: “We tried to fix the health care system in 2009, but mean Republicans wouldn’t let us do everything required!”

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

“The chickens have come home……to roost!!!!!!!”

Blame the Jews, Barry……your spiritual mentor does.

Hening on July 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

The Precedent is going to start going for the sympathy vote, soon. Watch for tears to start welling up in his eyes as he sobs about how is being mistreated by all the nasty people. After that doesn’t work, then the real danger comes, because The Precedent is quite insane and he hates America with a passion.

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Destroyed as he imagined is too bad. We really need to focus on the 2010 election and get rid of the Dem. Congress. Unfortunately unless The Won is more clueless then I think he is, a Republican Congress will indeed make him more Clintonian and probably guarantee him a win in 2012.

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I was thinking the GOP should offer a super small reform bill. Just extend the health insurance deduction to individuals. That’s it. Get this done before August recess, and come back to other issues later.

WashJeff on July 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Well, we can’t have THAT! Mr President, you have convinced me.

cjtony97 on July 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM

“probably even harmless”

Heh.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM

d’oh bummer: Once I get my healthcare plan in place, you’ll be able to observe me, your master, spending the country out of bankruptcy. It will be glorious!!!

Today the US, tomorrow the world!

Sweet_Thang on July 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Listen, Obama, you will get nothing watered down crap, and you will like it.

hit and run on July 22, 2009 at 12:18 PM

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

and he will talk about his mommy. i forgot what happened to her. she had cancer or something and she died. all i know about her is that she craved blacks.

Ghoul aid on July 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM

and the president says, ‘You’re going to destroy my presidency.’”

Maybe I’m just a little dense this week but something bothered me about the above statement beyond the sheer egotism but I just put my finger on it.

The President of the United States is told that a bill is not going to pass the House and his first reaction isn’t along the lines of “America needs healthcare reform now, what do we need to do to get this bill through.” Instead we’ve got a guy worried about his legacy six months into his term of office. Beyond being a filthy liar, Obama isn’t even doing all this crap for anybody but himself.

highhopes on July 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I’d say his presidency is more likely to be destroyed by his own acttions. A PResident has very little real power, and most of that is in creating concensus amoung the people with his bully pulpit abilities. Over reaching to control the other three branches is either going to result is a civil war, or in the president being see as a schmuck.

MikeA on July 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM

If there ever was a presidency, and a president, that deserved to be destroyed….this is the one.

Keep up the pressure

AZ_Mike on July 22, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I know a great guy, ex-SAC pilot, who just saw an increase of three hundred percent in his Medicare. This is a seventy-eight year old, worked his whole life, legal, White taxpayer with no hope in the world for hand outs. Great system.

Hening on July 22, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Also, I have ABBA’s “Waterloo” in my head now.

Pasalubong on July 22, 2009 at 12:12 PM

i’ve been singing that too…

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:21 PM

This is the kind of failure Rush wants to see. I do too. Obama’s presidency needs to be neutered and isolated.

LimeyGeek on July 22, 2009 at 12:21 PM

We’d rather sacrifice a President than our freedom. We can always get another president.

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:22 PM

highhopes on July 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM

At least he waited a day before contradicting his grand TV statement that this wasn’t about him. That’s got to be worth something.

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Wavering Dems to The Chosen One: We’re not going to let you destroy the Country.

Alas, if only it were so.

EconomicNeocon on July 22, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Tonight folks, please tune in to watch a captain go down with his ship.

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Obamacare: We’re just getting it shovel ready for you Obama

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Destroy the Destroyer.

james23 on July 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Ghoul aid on July 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Heh. She was obssessed with anything she thought would offend Western sensibilities. Her idiot son inherited her hate of us.

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Definition of “thug thizzle”?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Vee have him now! Don’t let up on zee firing!!!

FontanaConservative on July 22, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Definition of “thug thizzle”?
Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Yo why yall gotsta ruin my presidentizzle?

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Obammy: You’re going to destroy my presidency.

Me: Tough. You’re going to destroy this country.

Blake on July 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM

The next thing I want to see is Harry and Nancy making a trip to 1600 Penn. Ave. to tell him Healthcare is over.

Dire Straits on July 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Rush is all over this now.

genso on July 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM

The Captain Queeg Presidency

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Man I love the smell of desperation in the morning!

thirteen28 on July 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM

“ME the people”

the_nile on July 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM

WhatDukeSaid on July 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

There, fixed it.

Jed_Eckert on July 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Maybe. I still worry that what Dick Morris said is right. He said Obama would trade passing his agenda now for a chance at a second term. So if ObamaCare fails, he might keep pressing on with the same leftist agenda but more stealthily and piecemeal rather than pass a bunch of centrist crap he doesn’t believe is right for the country. Then he’ll go home after one term and start going to church with Jeremiah Wright again, make speeches, and campaign for EU president or wait for a Supreme Court post or something.

thebadoutlaw on July 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM

careful in the giddiness…

continue hammering the facts

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM

i know. and thank you for the recap. i have just heard him or someone else say that he is doing universal healthcare because of what his mommy went through. and the fact that he hates hard working americans. but boy, why do we have to suffer through his mommy and daddy issues?

Ghoul aid on July 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM

WashJeff on July 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I want Congress to allow people who purchase private to be able to deduct those costs from their taxes (just like mortgage insurance.) I’ve been harping on it since August. I think you’re arguing for the same thing. It would create an incentive for people to purchase insurance instead of a 50′ plasma.

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 12:28 PM

i’ve been singing that too…

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Yup, I had it as song of the day on Monday but yesterday was DeMint inspired also.

msmveritas on July 22, 2009 at 12:28 PM

looks like the the koolaid is wearing off….

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Too much too fast. The man who has never met a deadline, never met a payroll, never had a critic is failing at something. Boo freakin hoo.
Welcome mr president to the real world. The USA is too big, smart and proud to be steamrolled by an ingenue.

FireBlogger on July 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM

What other kind of pathetic, self-absorbed behavior would one expect from our first (and hopefully last) affirmative-action president?

LimeyGeek on July 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Rush is all over this now.

Hey, speaking of Rush, will someone ask the MSM if ObamaCare fails, will that be a “victory for Rush Limbaugh?”

thebadoutlaw on July 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM

You’re going to destroy my presidency”

Wonderful: Somebody needs to do it.

Obama has made a good start.

Obama: I remind you I won!

The Rock: I remind you, you are President not Dictator. By the way, if you are a natural born citizen why have you spent $800,000 in legal fees avoiding producing a birth certificate? Wouldn’t it just be easier to produce the certificate?

Oh, you don’t have one. Is that because you were born in Kenya like your grandmother said?

The Rock on July 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM

place white house under siege…

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM

no one gets in. no one gets out.

this is our country and that is our house.

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Rush: I won

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Unfortunately, Ed, they were wrong then and your are wrong in thinking that this is where it would go. Wounded animals become more aggressive and dangerous, not less. The real danger is coming.

progressoverpeace on July 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

“You’re going to destroy my presidency”

Which, should by now be obvious to every American, is more important to Obama and the Democrats than anything that might be of benefit to the nation or the citizens of this country.

Speakup on July 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Bush! It’s all the fault of that bastard Bush!

Cicero43 on July 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Yo why yall gotsta ruin my presidentizzle?

blatantblue on July 22, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Obama responds, “Don’t hate the playa. Hate the game……….and rich people.”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Poor Barry. Boo Hoo.

Michelle-O ought to open the ‘lockbox’ and let him borrow his testicles back for a couple of days.

Maybe he would quit whining and act like a man for a change.

LegendHasIt on July 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I want Congress to allow people who purchase private to be able to deduct those costs from their taxes (just like mortgage insurance interest.)

That’s what I meant.

BadgerHawk on July 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

birth certificate issue: Proof positive that the love of freedom and liberty is genetic. If ya ain’t be birthed here in the USA, then you might be a socialist.

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM

ted c on July 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I think the US military would put a swift end to that.

LimeyGeek on July 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM

The walls! The walls are falling down!

Or the WW of the W – “I’m melting! Melting! Oh! My world! My world!”

What a narcissist. Obama < America

thebrokenrattle on July 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I have a Savior, Bama…wanted a President.

And you ain’t it or ever will be. Went through liar’s school and failed even to get that skill learned. You are way past your level of incompetence, as is Pelosi. The only reason I want you and Biden to stay where you are is because Pelosi would assume the position on your departure.

Come to think of it, she is even dumber than you and that would make ignoring her that much easier.

Right, Barry, pick up your marbles and go home, take Biden and Michelle with you. Pelosi will crater and perhaps someone with some brains can succeed her.

Harry Schell on July 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Rush Teh ‘Cuda: I won

faraway on July 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

FIFY

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I do not want obama to be impeached. Just left there as a lame duck so that none of his policies happen and as a reminder of socialism, so that in 2012, America will wake up and see what a socialist dictatorial leader could do to this nation, and then defeat socialism forever with a strong conservative government

ConservativePartyNow on July 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Below are the top five questions Sen. DeMint would like the president to address:

1. If the major provisions of the health care bills will not kick in until 2013, four years from now, why the rush to pass a thousand-page bill before the August recess, a bill you admit that you haven’t fully read yourself?

2. You have said your health care bill will cut costs and not increase the deficit. But, independent analysis by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office contradicts both claims, saying it will raise costs and increase the deficit by $240 billion in the first ten years. What independent analysis will you provide that supports your claims and refutes CBO’s?

3. You have repeatedly said that your health care bill allows any American who likes their current employer-based plan to keep it. But the most comprehensive independent analysis available, by the Lewin Group, contradicts your claim and found your bill will force over 80 million Americans to lose their current coverage. Will you provide independent analysis to refute this study?

4. Your own record in the Senate reveals you spent years voting against nearly every reform to make health care more affordable and accessible, but this week you said that opponents of your plan are “content to perpetuate the status quo, [and] are, in fact, fighting reform on behalf of powerful special interests.” Which specific elected officials will you cite that have proposed to keep the status quo, and is that how you characterize the opposition of the 52 Blue Dog Democrats in the House and the moderate Democrats in the Senate?

5. Yes or no question: Will you guarantee pro-life Americans that, under your plan, they will not be forced to subsidize elective abortions?

Rush just read these. From DeMint’s website.

genso on July 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM