Video: Chris Matthews takes on the Birthers. What could go wrong?

posted at 7:31 pm on July 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

Slowly but surely, this meme is going mainstream: Lou Dobbs picked it up (credulously) in his radio show this morning, Rick Sanchez goofed on it this afternoon, even Rush is starting to talk about it — foolishly, really, given how it distracts from the momentum conservatives are building against ObamaCare. Lost in all the blather is the shining fact that the natural-born requirement is probably the single dumbest operative provision in the Constitution and in a sane world would have been abolished decades ago in favor of some sort of residency requirement. Something to shoot for after The One leaves office, perhaps? Shouldn’t be a partisan issue: Once it’s repealed, we can finally run the conservative we all want for president.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

I like the natural born citizen provision. Without it, we might have had President Granholm back when she was the young star of the Democratic party.

myrenovations on July 21, 2009 at 7:33 PM

If it comes down to it, Matthews will offer to marry Obama to make him a citizen.

ThePrez on July 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

this is a distraction, democrats and the media love this stuff.

rob verdi on July 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

But it hasn’t. It doesn’t count because you think it’s dumb?

Jim Treacher on July 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

ThePrez on July 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

But that still wouldn’t make him a natural born citizen…
But I don’t think Matthews cares about that.

Trov on July 21, 2009 at 7:35 PM

myrenovations on July 21, 2009 at 7:33 PM

how about..President Arnold

runner on July 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Do we even have the right anymore to question the One? Is having an opinion opposite the majority now illegal?

fourdeucer on July 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM

how about..President Arnold

runner on July 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM

That would be bad too. But it is his Kennedy affliction that is really the problem.

myrenovations on July 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM

… the natural-born requirement is probably the single dumbest operative provision in the Constitution and in a sane world would have been abolished decades ago in favor of some sort of residency requirement.

I agree. In a sane world, nobody would be foolish enough to vote for a Kenyan socialist messiah-wannabe just because he promised them the government would infuse every aspect of their lives with glorious hope and change and rainbow unicorns. But, there you go. It’s a crazy world and anything can happen.

ROCnPhilly on July 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM

But that still wouldn’t make him a natural born citizen…
But I don’t think Matthews cares about that.

Trov on July 21, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Any excuse for him will do……..Oh that thrill must be answered somehow!

ThePrez on July 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Like Ahnold? No thank you. It’s fine just the way it is.

NotCoach on July 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I don’t care how long someone lives here, those that come from somewhere else can have loyalties TO that somewhere else.

I think the Founders were right on here.

tickleddragon on July 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I am at the point where I won’t be surprised if the Left embraces this meme as a way to distance themselves from the Obamacrater: Well, if the press had really investigated like they were supposed to, we wouldn’t have nominated this guy; it’s the press’s fault.

Just saying, July 21, I’m putting down a marker.

Just in case someone above me said it already, then change my comment to “I’m with this guy”.

LastRick on July 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM

How hard is it to see the long form birth certificate? When McCain was questioned he showed his documents no sweat. Obama delayed and has the state issue a new short form birth certificate, and the governor sealed his records. Is it a conspiracy theory to acknowledge this? A copy of the long form and this is put to bed. I have no dog in this fight I wish he would show the long form and be done with it.

Theworldisnotenough on July 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Jim Treacher on July 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I beleive that to be Allahpundits sarcasm.

Theworldisnotenough on July 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM

you are joking right?

trailortrash on July 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM

But it hasn’t. It doesn’t count because you think it’s dumb?

Jim Treacher on July 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Unfortunately that is often the case with AP. He doesn’t know how to read the Establishment Clause either so he invents a meaning that he likes instead.

NotCoach on July 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Good Lord. It’s a sad day when I totally agree with Chris Matthews.

Wacko wing of the party indeed.

beekiller on July 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM

have been abolished decades ago in favor of some sort of residency requirement.

I’m hoping you meant to say “citizenship”. “Residency” is a pretty darn low standard.

forest on July 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Or would it be more polite for me to say it could cause a person to have a conflict of interest, should we have problems, as a country with that person’s home country.

Yeah, yeah…. More polite.

tickleddragon on July 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Yeah what could go wrong with electing a Kenyan President of the USA. I doubt he would go around the world making a fool of h9imslef apologizing for … and trying to transform the USA into … Oh wait, my bad.

Allah, you thought this through right?

tarpon on July 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM

But it hasn’t. It doesn’t count because you think it’s dumb?

Jim Treacher on July 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Give that man a cigar!

Knucklehead on July 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM

One more step towards making the world of Demolition Man a reality.

Lenina Huxley: I have, in fact, perused some newsreels in the Schwarzenegger Library, and the time that you took that car…
John Spartan: Hold it. The Schwarzenegger Library?
Lenina Huxley: Yes. The Schwarzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn’t he an actor when you…?
John Spartan: Stop! He was President?
Lenina Huxley: Yes! Even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment which states…
John Spartan: I don’t wanna know. President…

malclave on July 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Was Obama born in Hawaii? Likely. But then, why doesn’t he just produce the legit birth certificate and shoot down all the conspiracy theorists? Isn’t that what one who has nothing to hide would do?

I think it’s something else he doesn’t want revealed.

NebCon on July 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I beleive that to be Allahpundits sarcasm.

Theworldisnotenough on July 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I don’t.

Jim Treacher on July 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM

The natural born requirement may not seem relevant, but that is not the point. The point is someone may be president who knows he shouldn’t be, but has lied to get the job. Kind of like lying on your job application. What you lied about may not impact your ability to do the job, but if, for example, a High School diploma is a requirement for the job, say police officer, and you don’t have one, but said you did, I would think that little fib should come back to haunt you.

Obama said he graduated, but refuses to show his diploma, though he now has a badge and gun. Many Americans are saying Show us your diploma! How that makes those people stupid, or conspiracy theorists, is only for the RINO mind to know.

keep the change on July 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Now that right there is scary. I live in Michigan and the last thing on this earth is that piece of work being in charge of the country. Have you looked around at the disaster Michigan is in? Its not because of Bush.

Punditpawn on July 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM

AP calls a constitutional amendment stupid. I think this is quote of the day.

DFCtomm on July 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM

The fact that bho can not tell the truth about anything in his life, why would he lie about his birth? He has spent almost 1 million dollars on attorneys to keep everything from his past from us. I’m not sure if an orginal BC was given to us, I would believe it. The fact bho WILL not give us his BC, he is a not telling the truth.
L

letget on July 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM

malclave on July 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Off topic I suppose, but that just made me ponder a President Stallone. “So help me God. YO ADRIAN, I DID IT!”

ThePrez on July 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM

It is one of the dumber things in the Constitution. If those clauses in the Constitution are the only thing keeping us from electing a Chinese toddler as president, then we have plenty of other, bigger problems.

frankj on July 21, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Punditpawn on July 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Thank God for term limits here in Michigan.

NotCoach on July 21, 2009 at 7:48 PM

ThePrez on July 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

but I thought Obama was against gay marriage? heh

Ozprey on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I beleive that to be Allahpundits sarcasm.

Theworldisnotenough on July 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I don’t think so.

FloatingRock on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Sorry I can’t watch. He spits so much I feel like I need a shower after I watch Matthews.

ctmom on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Not! I’ll defer to our Alpha-male founding fathers on this one, Beta.

RepubChica on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I don’t believe it’s “dumb” to insist that the US President, as a symbol of America both at home and abroad, meet the rather reasonable standard of, you know, having been freaking born here.

Not sure how it’s insane to believe that the Chief Executive should be a natural born citizen. AP left that out of his post.

JohnTant on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Is Allah drinking on the job again?

Ampersand on July 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I think it’s something else he doesn’t want revealed.

NebCon on July 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Or maybe he is a citizen and he is letting people drive themrselves nuts over his birth certificate to distract from all of the crap he is doing as president. To cultivate a whole batch of critics who can be written off as nutters and used to delfect real criticism.

myrenovations on July 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Just release his records. It’s as simple as that.

txag92 on July 21, 2009 at 7:51 PM

We could argue the restriction for natural born citizen requirements is a thing of the past, even writing an amendment to the Constitution to allow exactly – what we have found ourselves stuck with in the White House today. Brilliant! We have a man that was raised during his formative years in a foreign country, of questionable birth to start with, and the sealing of every single record that could prove he is an American citizen. Yet, rather than produce those birth/school/passport/military draft signage, he chooses instead to spend close to $1Million big ones to fight every court action that asks that he produce those same petty items most people would keep in a bottom drawer in their desk.

Yes, I’ve absolutely skewered ‘truthers’ when this all started and now I’m having a hard time saying he has a right to privacy that no one else enjoys. How does one apply for a passport without a notorized copy of your COLB.

We question why he thinks so differently than most Americans and finds it necessary to apologize to the world for our failures. He shares no common experience with Americans, that’s why.

24K lady on July 21, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Puhlease Allah – NO MO Mathews!

iam7545 on July 21, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Sorry, Allah, but I like my Constitution just how it is. If you have a problem with it, then maybe you might take the path the founding fathers laid out for ya.
The Amendment trail.
Otherwise, take a dive.

brono921 on July 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM

but I thought Obama was against gay marriage? heh

Ozprey on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I thought so too, but that was an hour ago. Be patient, he`ll swing back the other way later.

ThePrez on July 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Well, what ever happens….Obama could

REALLY BE AN HISTORIC PRESIDENT

twice over…1st African American…1st to get the boot because he’s not…American…

Would really love to see this happen….

BigWyo on July 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM

JohnTant on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Because people who don’t like us anyway might make fun of us for saying so. And besides, Obama is way too popular for something like this to… oh, wait.

Jim Treacher on July 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM

ThePrez on July 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Was that really necessary?

NoFanofLibs on July 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM

A guy on Southwest Airlines also got a thrill running up his leg the other day Chris.

400lb Gorilla on July 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM

ctmom on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

lol…he is a disgusting old man. And you can tell he thinks he’s still 30 the way he bats his eyes and grins suggestively at the camera. (shudders)

RepubChica on July 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Let’s see…drop the “natural born” requirement, let’s allow someone from China, perhaps, to immigrate, reside here for a decade maybe two, become a citizen, and then run for the office of President.

Meanwhile, a few officials in China decide that there is a close family bond between the candidate and his family back in the home country. That cultural filial piety thing. If the candidate gets elected, what is to stop China, for example, of coming down hard on those family members in order to persuade the new President to do something or not do something, or to offer China a better seat at the table?

Impossible? No. In this world, certainly probable.

The idea behind the natural born citizen requirement, and the grandfathering of pre-Independence candidates through attrition, was meant to prevent precisely this, along with the possibility of one having strong political ties or financial ties to the old country…and to prevent the European model of intermarriage among noble houses from establishing control over the newly independent nation.

Keep the requirement.

Insist that all candidates for federal office provide bona fide documentation of birth and citizenship before they can be entered on to any state ballot anywhere.

coldwarrior on July 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Valid conservative arguments are ignored and fringe movements portrayed as crazy. This is just Mathews reminding everyone that those who stand against anything Obama are nuts.

ROCnPhilly on July 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM

All hail the superior opinion of the Universe!

Has it ever occured to you AP that the birth thing is all part of a bigger picture, maybe one you don’t want to look at? From the beginning of this country, we enshrined the birthplaces of our presidents. We knew every little detail of their lives, who their parents were, what they wrote about in school about what they believed in. And that is important. That’s how you know who somebody is, you look at their life. Isn’t it just possible that some people could have got the idea that if Obama’s father and birthplace were not where and who he claimed, that it may have hurt his chances of getting elected??? HMMMMM? Or maybe you don’t think it matters where he was born. If you don’t understand the concept of having an attachment to your birthplace, I feel sorry for you, somehow you weren’t taught about pride in ones homeland. I did get that from my parents. I can’t imagine not having some pride about where you come from.

When it comes to this president, he has made every effort to conceal the lions share, (keynan play on words), of his life! The only people who claim who claim to have been there when he was born and witnessed his birth are his family members, who say it happened in Mombasa, Kenya! No such person or hospital has come forward and said he was born in Hawaii. Not only has he hid his birth record, he has taken great pains to conceal all of his college records! WHY? Could it be that one of the first things one might see is “Foreign Student Program” stamped all over his college records? Could it be that is why he never registered for the selective service? Foreigners were not drafted. Could it be that many of the articles and papers he wrote for the Harvard Law Review actually showed a very Marxist bent to the fellow? One such article has already been exposed.

AP, you may not think it’s important that we know who this man really is, but many of us do! Only a fool would purposely vote for a pig in a poke and I think that’s exactly what our country got here. The real reason you don’t want to deal with this is probably that you know this is eventually going to come out and you’re going to have to eat a bushel of crow and admit that all of us ‘crazies’ were right all along!

Bikerken on July 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM

JohnTant on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Just wait until Democrats finally get that “Animal Citizenship” bill passed so their buddies can marry gay penguins. Allah will be the first to cast his ballot for “Mr. Fwuffy Kittyface Boo-Boo Mittens the Third.”

I believe Biden will also be on that ticket for the “gravitas.”

TMK on July 21, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Was that really necessary?

NoFanofLibs on July 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM

No, but I did it anyway.

ThePrez on July 21, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Does Russia, UK,Germany,Netherlands, Sweden,France,Spain, Luxembourg,Finland,Poland, Ukraine,Greece,Italy, Turkey, China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc etc etc etc

Allow a person to become the Head of their Country if they are NOT native born? Can they be residents for 20 years and become the Head of State? Can they be dual citizens?

The Founders were thinking about loyalty, fidelity, and integrity to OUR COUNTRY and OUR CONSTITUTION and I can’t believe we want to experiment 200+ years in just because our side has a guy we like who won’t qualify. Tough. There are plenty of great, honorable, needed positions that ONE guy could fill.
And what happens if we do lose our mind and do this? After he has done his 4 or 8 years- do we go back to the old system? We open a pandora’s box if we lose the guidance our Founders gave us.

journeyintothewhirlwind on July 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Anyone that is willing to spend upwards of a million dollars to defend against showing something as fundamental as a birth certificate is hiding something.

Conservalicious on July 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Was that really necessary?

NoFanofLibs on July 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM

It was damned funny…

No, but I did it anyway.

ThePrez on July 21, 2009 at 7:57 PM

The only problem with our idea is Ogabe would lose his citizenship back on Kaskykk.

sven10077 on July 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Video: Chris Matthews takes on the Birthers. What could go wrong?

Psst Pissy Crissy, the guy that’s been running tingles up and down your leg…is an illegal alien.

There’s a mountain of evidence pointing to the fact, that Barack Hussein Obama was born in Kenya. For example, His Kenyan grandmother, until recently being muzzled, stated she was in the delivery room when Barack Jr. was born.

Barack Obama has hired the best lawyers and has spent a huge amount of money to block any efforts to view his long form birth certificate in Hawaii.

So Pissy Crissy, you can spin and argue till Overbite comes home, but nothing will be acceptable until your hero Barry Soetoro produces the real deal. Until then, he’s the usurper in chief.

byteshredder on July 21, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Like most EVERYTHING BHO does, it is in hiding. Cramming the Crap and Trade bill down our throats, Pushing Health Bill without reading it.

Show us your birth certificate. If you have NOTHING to hide than show it. Or is he a big fraud?

rlongstrat on July 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I believe AP and McCain Blogette are going to form their own party. Maybe they will propose their own constitution.

therightscoop on July 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Oh! This is a good one. You think that the eligibility issue is going to distract everyone enough that socialized medicine will fly through Congress. Okay, there. It’s always something that the attempt to clarrify Constitutional eligibility issues is going to get in the way of. Perhaps, if you dipsh!ts would stop jumping all over us every time the legitimate issue of Constitutional eligiblility is brought up (in order to not embarrass yourselves in front of your weenie liberal friends) this would have been taken care of long ago?

To all of the “embarrassed conservatives”, get it through your heads that your asinine attacks on us are going to have as much effect as the Shamnesty people had when they tried to shut us up by calling us racists and bigots. We won, then, and we’ll win, now, because in both instances we had the correct side – as anyone with a brain can see. This eligibility issue MUST come to court and be settled. Period.

progressoverpeace on July 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Matthews is a blithering idiot and a political whore . . . simply listening to his babblings degrades one’s intellect.

rplat on July 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Is it just me or has the birth certificate issue brought out myriad new posters? Why hold back until this issue?

daesleeper on July 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Hooray.

Just when Obama starts to hit real resistance, the birthers start their insane truther crap again.

Memo ti birther nutjobs: YOU’RE NOT HELPING OR “SAVING THE CONSTITUTION.” THE ONLY PERSON THIS CRAP HELPS IS OBAMA.

Good Lt on July 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

“What you’re doing is appeasing the nutcases.”

The nutcases are those who equate an eminently sensible and reasonable request with an irrational belief in a conspiracy for which not only is there no evidence but mountains of contrary evidence including the findings of a Congressional Commission.

People who use the term birthers are intellectually dishonest and in some cases deranged. And the attempts to intimidate people into not demanding production of a document which a decent man would have produced long ago – if it exists- are pathetic, as are the supposed proofs that he was born in Hawaii, of which my favorite is the birth announcement, as if his mother would have placed the announcement of her son’s birth somewhere other than in the city where she normally resided. Anyone who regards this as conclusive proof that she wasn’t visiting in her husband’s country when her son was born is intellectually challenged.

Those who argue that the issue is closed despite the paucity of evidence and the refusal to produce the one document which will put the matter to rest aren’t quite as irrational as truthers but they do share an inability to reason, which is why I refer to those who are convinced that Obama was born in Hawaii when in reality we don’t know as Near Birthers.

Perhaps one of those who is sure Obama was born in Hawaii can enlighten me with the name of the doctor or midwife who delivered him.

Basilsbest on July 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

As my kid’s use to say when they were younger

SIKE!!!!

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

So saith the Grand Poobah

runner on July 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Bikerken
There are thousands upon thousands of people now praying that something is found to prove he either lied or is ineligible to hold the office. That may be the only ticket to negating what’s he’s signed since taking office. It will be a constitutional crisis, but we can get past that. When the Dems see their polls sliding to zero and the loss of their own seats, someone is going to cave. Perhaps if Pelosi keeps going for the jugular of the CIA, something will surface real soon.

24K lady on July 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM

therightscoop on July 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

“The Constitution — you can quote me — is a dumbass…”

Meghan McCain

NotCoach on July 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Yes, by all means, let’s return to an issue the majority of the country — including much of the conservative base — thinks is batsh*t crazy. Just at the moment when we’re pushing ObamaCare down the hill and making progress in the halting of other major liberal issues. Let’s return our attention to batsh*t crazy ones.

We really don’t need an opposition. We’re our own worse enemy. We’re finally winning on an issue? Time to change to another issue we have absolutely no chance of making progress on and that makes us look insane!

Newsflash, folks: Obama could be born in Riyadh and he’ll still be president. You think he’s going to be removed from office? I’ve got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

JohnTant on July 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

What’s its purpose anymore? Adam Gadahn is a natural-born citizen and ran off to join Al Qaeda. Meanwhile, a baby adopted from China or Russia at the ripe age of 2 years can’t hold the office 32 years from now after showing him/herself to be a patriotic, God-fearing citizen for that entire time.

amerpundit on July 21, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Wow! Whoever wrote this is a total fool.

Here’s what John Jay had to say to George Washington about the ‘natural-born’ provision (July 25, 1787), reposted from the other thread:

Permit me to hint, whether it would not be wise & seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government; and to declare expresly that the Command in chief of the american army shall not be given to, nor devolve on, any but a natural born Citizen.

Dual/multiple citizens, which didn’t exist for Americans at the time of the writing, would certainly qualify as “foreigners” to the Founders, as Jay was obviously not contemplating the idea that someone who was not even an American citizen could become President. What Jay was referring to was that the Commander in Chief should be someone who was born American and had never been anything but American. Anyone who thinks that ‘natural-born’ citizen was not meant to avert exactly this circumstance of a dual-citizen becoming President is operating under a dangerous misunderstanding of the Founders’ intentions and the uniqueness of the American system of governance.

progressoverpeace on July 21, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Quite the contrary. I think it shows how far-sighted the Framers were. Under the regime of identity politics, race and ethnicity trump E Pluribus Unum every time.

Just look at Obama; it’s really all about race with this guy.

Or Sotomayor.

What on earth would we have to gain by having a foreign-born President? Nothing.

guntotinglibertarian on July 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Anyone able to locate AP’s position on the fundamental issue?
Well at least he didn’t write Nirthers.
Nuance.

Stephen M on July 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Maybe we can try paper, scizzors, rock?

On that note, has anyone seen any school records? Harvard papers? Occidental enrollment records? Columbia records? Who paid his entrance to these schools?

Curious.

dthorny on July 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM

I like natural born citizen requirement, would prefer never to have President George Soros, shiver me timbers!!

ginaswo on July 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Sissy Crissy kept using the term “native born”…

That is NOT what the Constitutional term is…how come that doesn’t surprise me that he doesn’t know the right term?

and another thing…Allahpundit, I want to say to you…..
Awwwwww…..Shut up….

This is important.

bperiwinkle on July 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I think it is a silly debate since the filthy liar in the White House is never going to give up anything more than he has no more than John Kerry refused to give up anything more than the carefully redacted military records he generated a decade after he betrayed the nation.

That being said, it still is the Constitution whether you think it a silly provision or not. If there is legitimate information (not yet in evidence) that would indicate the filthy liar is not eligible for office then it would be wrong to ignore it. After all age and birth are the only two requirements. The filthy can’t vote present on one of the two and still be President.

highhopes on July 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I disagree with Allah so rarely that I can’t even think of an example. So this really throws me.

What interest would be served by changing the natural born requirement? The naturalized politician/ambitious immigrant lobby? Or, put another way, how is it in America’s best interest to change to “some sort of residency requirement?” I’m all ears.

Infidoll on July 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM

WHY THE HELL DO THESE POLS LET THIS SPITTING SLOBBER JOB FILIBUSTER!!
AHH!

SHUT HIM UP AND TALK OVER HIM. DO SOMETHING BUT JOHN BLEW THIS ONE!

katy on July 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM

ginaswo on July 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM

No, President Barbara Boxer or Dianne Feinstein are much better alternatives.

Meanwhile, a staunch conservative who would die for America can’t become president because he didn’t arrive in this country until he was six months old.

amerpundit on July 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Did anyone ask Matthews whether that “birth certificate” that he is waving around came from a Kinko’s in Texas…or can they be purchased by the gross at your local All Obama All of the Time gift shop?

onlineanalyst on July 21, 2009 at 8:11 PM

p.o.p. I agree and IMO in hie being TOTUS is not American, he does not think or feel as an American…

ginaswo on July 21, 2009 at 8:11 PM

how about..President Arnold

runner on July 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM

What comes after that, the three seashells?

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I think it’s something else he doesn’t want revealed.

NebCon on July 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Everybody but a fringe of a fringe is satisfied that Obama is a natural-born citizen. Unless the “birthers” can succesfully challenge that status in court, he doesn’t have any incentive to produce his original birth certificate. In fact, the attacks on his citizenship are so mean-spirited and ill-founded that they actually create sympathy for him.

RightOFLeft on July 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

ameripundit

to each their own

ginaswo on July 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

amerpundit on July 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM

That’s the breaks.

thomasaur on July 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Obama works for us, we are not his subjects.

As we are his employer, he needs to show his real birth certificate to the American people. Just like we have to show it for innumerable and far more trivial reasons, including… proving we’re American citizens to an employer.

This is not conspiracy theory, it is what is right. His spending a million bucks to keep it hidden, maybe there’s something he wants to hide maybe not. But for a certainty it shows his utter contempt for ordinary Americans.

Rebar on July 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Hmm…where was AP born anyway?

StevefromMKE on July 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Bikerken on July 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Very well stated.

Paleoconservatarian on July 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

infidoll

maybe Allah has the same candidate in mind ameripundit does
dont know who they refer to

ginaswo on July 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

progressoverpeace on July 21, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Leave the interpretation to the SCOTUS. Fact of the matter is that the Constitution doesn’t support your interpretation by the very definition it gives to the term “natural born.” You don’t like it, change the Constitution, don’t make stuff up.

highhopes on July 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Look, this is not going to go away:

* The military has withdrawn deployment orders for a Major objecting to the lawfulness of an order from Obama re: he’s not legally President. The floodgates will open

* As long as there is a question in the U.S., any foreign trade agreement or treaty entered into can be challenged, as well as bills he has signed into law, etc. He may need all those lawyers he’s hired to defend himself against personal lawsuits

We need to get this settled.

Frankly I was very wary about this, but there are some really good questions out there – 2 Hawaii hospitals claiming he was born there, transcripts never provided [foreign student?], multiple social security numbers for both Obamas, employment not disclosed, lots of money spent to keep records hidden – Obama’s living relatives say he was born in Kenya… I could put a birth announcement in the paper tomorrow saying I WAS born yesterday – the questions raised by the Certificate vs Certification…

Mr. Transparent could settle this easily – just publicly give permission to those holding his legal documents, passports, etc. permission to provide to the PUBLIC and BAM — this is over.

Until he does that, there will be questions about his legitimacy, and rightly so.

ncpatriot on July 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

NebCon on July 21, 2009 at 7:46 PM

That logic is ridiculous. Can you imagine if Bush had to disprove every whacky conspiracy theory that came his way? Does that mean he had something to hide because he refused to do so?

amerpundit on July 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM

“Lost in all the blather is the shining fact that the natural-born requirement is probably the single dumbest operative provision in the Constitution and in a sane world would have been abolished decades ago in favor of some sort of residency requirement.”

Why not just stop teaching our kids the true history of the foundation of the United States of America, the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution…………..

………… oh, wait?

Seven Percent Solution on July 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I actually agreed with Chris Matthews through most of the clip, but what the hell was his point about FDR? I swear he’s one of the dumbest people on TV.

frankj on July 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM

That’s the breaks.

thomasaur on July 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Beg pardon?

amerpundit on July 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Our founders knew the probability of someone rising through the system who posed a threat with disloyal and treasonous intentions.

There’s never any guarantee that a legal citizen wouldn’t be either but it would eliminate the odds of it happening.

And seeing what is happening to our country by this liar of chief, I’d have to say… THEY WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

katy on July 21, 2009 at 8:16 PM

coldwarrior on July 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Scenario:

We have a President who is an Indonesian/American Citizen… who then does somthing against Indonesian law.

As its common practice that no matter what country you are in, you still are bound by many if not most of the laws of your country, the President COULD be tried under Indonesian/SHARIA law if he dis’s Islam.

The origional definition of “Natural Born” was born both in America, AND of an AMERICAN FAHTER, as that meant you were ONLY an American… and as we did not recognize dual citizenship until the 1960s, this meant the President was and hand only been, American.

Problem is that Modern interpretations of citizenship have changed from what the Founders thought they were…. otherwise Barry COULD NOT BE PRESIDENT as he was born a British/American Citizen… and could very well have gotten Indonesian citizenship through adoption….

Romeo13 on July 21, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Honestly, folks… let’s quit dressing up this issue in Trutherism… tinfoil-hat moonbats and conspiracy theorists apply trutherism to explain events that have occurred (i.e., 9/11, JFK, moon landing) by rewriting history and or speculating on theories that have not been proven. The natural-born issue rewrites nothing, speculates about nothing. It takes into account a few simple verifiable facts:

Here are the facts:
– Obama Sr. was not a U.S. citizen when Barry was born; Obama Sr. was a subject of the British Crown which ruled Kenya, which is where Obama Sr. was born.

– BOTH of your parents must be U.S. CITIZENS for you to be a NATURAL BORN CITIZEN, therefore Barry is not a natural born citizen.

It doesn’t matter if his Mom was a U.S. Citizen. His father was not. It doesn’t matter if Barry was born in Kenya, Hawaii, or Timbuktu. If one of your parents is subject to a foreign jurisdiction, you may be subject to that jurisdiction as well (as was the case with the offspring of people with British citizenship in Kenya in 1961).

The Founding Fathers put in the Natural born clause so that the commander in chief of our armed forces would not be subject to a conflict of jurisprudence in going to war against another sovereign nation which may have jurisdiction over him, or he may be subject to. Being U.S. Natural Born contains your citizenship and limits what jurisdiction you answer to; namely, the United States and its laws, and none else.

Yeah, there are plenty of great non-natural born citizens who would be great leaders. But the laws were written to contain our sovereignty and the jurisdiction over our sitting president. The fact is that Barry is not natural born, and he can’t go back and change history. Therefore, he is not legally the president of the United States, he must be removed from office and every bill that he has signed must be repealed.

trace_9r on July 21, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Look, this is not going to go away:

ncpatriot on July 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

The military withdrew deployment orders because it has better things to do with its time and resources than fight a whacky conspiracy theorist in court. I’d have done the same.

As for challenges, they’ll be shot down just like the challenges in regards to Obama’s residency have been thus far.

amerpundit on July 21, 2009 at 8:17 PM