WaPo poll has Obama under water on health care

posted at 9:26 am on July 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Pollster Scott Rasmussen first reported that support for Barack Obama and the Democrats in general had begun to seriously slip over a month ago, especially on the economy.  At first, other pollsters didn’t catch the trend, but now almost all surveys show Americans losing confidence in the administration’s efforts on fiscal matters.  Now the bleeding also has begun on health care, as the new Washington Post poll shows:

Heading into a critical period in the debate over health-care reform, public approval of President Obama’s stewardship on the issue has dropped below the 50 percent threshold for the first time, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Obama’s approval ratings on other front-burner issues, such as the economy and the federal budget deficit, have also slipped over the summer, as rising concern about spending and continuing worries about the economy combine to challenge his administration. Barely more than half approve of the way he is handling unemployment, which now tops 10 percent in 15 states and the District.

The president’s overall approval rating remains higher than his marks on particular domestic issues, with 59 percent giving him positive reviews and 37 percent disapproving. But this is the first time in his presidency that Obama has fallen under 60 percent in Post-ABC polling, and the rating is six percentage points lower than it was a month ago. …

Since April, approval of Obama’s handling of health care has dropped from 57 percent to 49 percent, with disapproval rising from 29 percent to 44 percent. Obama still maintains a large advantage over congressional Republicans in terms of public trust on the issue, even as the GOP has closed the gap.

The erosion in Obama’s overall rating on health care is particularly notable among political independents: While positive in their assessments of his handling of health-care reform at the 100-day mark of his presidency (53 percent approved and 30 percent disapproved), independents now are divided at 44 percent positive and 49 percent negative.

Bear in mind that this poll has a rather odd partisan split.  Unlike the CBS poll, which got deliberately tweaked to emphasize Democrats, this poll appears to have a natural sample that overemphasizes independents.  According to the raw data, the poll only has 22% Republicans, 33% Democrats, and 41% independents.  In that case, Republicans are significantly undersampled, and Democrats slightly undersampled.  The independents lean slightly Democratic, which was certainly true in the last election, but the double-digit gap between Democrats and Republicans didn’t exist in the presidential election and certainly doesn’t reflect the electorate — and this sampling bias still can’t mask the decline Obama has seen in his polling.

One of the most interesting questions in which this can be seen is in question 15: Is Obama a new-style Democrat who will be careful with the public’s money, or an old-style tax-and-spend Democrat?  Obama still gets a majority saying new-style Democrat, 52%-43%, but that metric shows a lot of erosion.  Four weeks ago, that was 58%-36%, and four months ago 62%-32%.  Trending on Obamanomics is also heading south.  Confidence in its ability to improve the economy has fallen to 56%-43%, down from 64%-35% in March.

However, as the Post reports, the most remarkable numbers come from the trendline on health care.  In April, Obama had a 57%-29% approval-to-disapproval rating on this issue.  By June, it was 53%-39%, at about the time the CBO began scoring ObamaCare.  Now it’s at 49%-44%, almost within the margin of error, and that was before the CBO rated the House version of ObamaCare as a deficit buster.

Obama will hold another prime-time press conference on Wednesday to try to sell ObamaCare to the nation.  These numbers show why he’s going back to the well, but they also show that he’s rapidly losing credibility.  More jawing at the cameras may not help much.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

quit whining: contact Congress. even if they are for it, make them know their constituents are watching them.

because the only thing that matters to congressman is re-election.

kelley in virginia on July 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM

The legislation creates a new government-run disability insurer, a public option for long term care needs.

All workers would be automatically enrolled, but people could opt out — at least until Congress changes its mind. Workers would pay up to an average of $65 per person a month into a government honey pot, er, fund. If a participant becomes disabled, that person would be able to draw $1,500 a month.

The CBO estimates that premiums will exceed payouts by about $59 billion over 10 years, much less than the expected amount Hill staff apparently told the Wall Street Journal: $320 billion in just the first year.

Dig this: participants could not draw on the funds until they’ve paid in for five years. One of Obooba’s big applause lines is “insurers won’t be able to deny anyone coverage based on pre-existing conditions” (violating one of the most basic principles of insurance).

So private health insurers have to accept anyone and pay claims immediately, while the government-run long term care option requires Americans to pay premiums for five years before receiving a dime.

Akzed on July 20, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Sorry, link no workie. Here ’tis: http://www.insurancebroadcasting.com

Akzed on July 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Obama will hold another prime-time press conference on Wednesday to try to sell ObamaCare to the nation. These numbers show why he’s going back to the well, but they also show that he’s rapidly losing credibility. More jawing at the cameras may not help much.

Nurse to Dr. Obama: The patient is pale and cold. The pupils are fixed and dilated. Rigor mortis shall set in by Wednesday. Defibrillation is not helping. We have pumped almost all of the available political capital into this thing.
Dr. Obama: We shall get this done. Keep pumping!
Nurse to Dr. Obama: This is the same way that this patient’s mother went… Hillarycare. Maybe it’s genetic.

ted c on July 20, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Television is very powerful and influential, and Obama knows it. I hope and pray it doesn’t work, but they don’t call it a boob-tube for nothing.

jeridhill on July 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Thing is, everyone has already seen the “Look, let me be clear, as I have said before” show, and they know the plot. It stinks.

batterup on July 20, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Does this mean I won’t be able to watch, “So You Think You Can Dance?” I swear…getting really sick of his grandstanding.

Mommypundit on July 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM

If I want to watch someone embarrassing themselves on TV, I’ll watch “American Idol”.

Oh wait, this is “American Idol”. We put an amateur in the White House.

Is anyone going to waste their time listening to another template speech, full of strawmen and tired quotes?

An Obama speech is an insult to the intelligence and a grating on the ears. This guy is a serial liar, not a word he utters can be trusted.

Only a complete idiot would trust this clown and his corrupt/incompetent Democrats to properly reform health care, much less “save” money.

NoDonkey on July 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM

What is it about Barry that he can’t stay away from the cameras??

Arrogance personified!

jimbodeano67 on July 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Oh wait, this is “American Idol”. We put an amateur in the White House.

Funny, yet sad.

jimbodeano67 on July 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I know many of you have seen this, but some of you may have been busy over the weekend. Please take the time to check it out and spread it to as many people as you can. I am on a mission to do that this morning. If enough people can know about this one item alone, we can kill this healthcare train wreck. We must do all we can to preserve the future of our country.

To ted c: Thanks for your encouraging words over the weekend. You told me I had to fight back, so this is one way I can. I have decided I have to do all I can for my grandkids. I am not technilogically savvy, so everything is very cumbersome for me, but I have a lot of time.

silvernana on July 20, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Obama is not a leader. Look what he has done thus far…

* Outsourced the stimulus to Nancy and K Street.
* Cap & Tax written by Waxman & Markey
* Healthcare written by Teddy & many partisan Dem hacks in both the House & the Senate

All are key pieces of his agenda, yet he has not bothered w/writing any of them. Could it be that he simply has a checklist and is ticking off the issues that will bury this country? I really believe he wants a one world currency and an America that is no longer the preeminent power in the world. Why? For what purpose? He has to know that 50% of America (the 50% w/guns) are not going to stand for this. So what will be done?

JAM on July 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Mommypundit on July 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM

My thoughts exactly. Plus, Obozo will be on NBC tomorrow morning having a candid scripted conversation with Meredith V. I’m guessing it will be about the healthcare reform that the marjority of Americans don’t want.

txag92 on July 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

this is all about government control. obama wants to control everything. if it’s so important why did he not promote this when he was a senator

rjoco1 on July 20, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Will the dems. care about the polls though? I know that when I write our senators and rep.,I remind them that we the voter will not forget who votes yay or nay.We are republicans but I tell them that will make no diff.,if the dems. vote against something and the opposite is true for the rep.,we will vote dem.Many people we heard are going to do the same.

ohiobabe on July 20, 2009 at 11:21 AM

When B.O. does his little Obamacare infomercial this Wednesday, perhaps they should have this song by The Rollins Band playing in the background:

You think youre gonna to live your life alone
In darkness
And seclusion
Yeah I know
Youve been out there
Tried to mix with those animals
And it just left you full of humiliated confusion
So you stagger back home
And wait for nothing
But the solitary refinement of your room spits you back out onto the street
And now youre desperate
And in need of human contact
And then
You meet me
And you whole world changes
Because everything I say is everything youve ever wanted to hear
So you drop all your defenses and you drop all your fears
And you trust me completely
Im perfect
In every way
Cause I make you feel so strong and so powerful inside
You feel so lucky
But your ego obscures reality
And you never bother to wonder why
Things are going so well
You wanna know why?
Cause Im a liar
Yeah Im a liar
Ill tear your mind out
Ill burn your soul
Ill turn you into me
Ill turn you into me
Cause Im a liar, a liar
A liar, a liar

Ill hide behind a smile
And understanding eyes
And Ill tell you things that you already know
So you can say
I really identify with you, so much
And all the time that youre needing me
Is just the time that Im bleeding you
Dont you get it yet?
Ill come to you like an affliction
And Ill leave you like an addiction
Youll never forget me
You wanna know why?
Cause Im a liar
Yeah Im a liar
Ill rip your mind out
Ill burn your soul
Ill turn you into me
Ill turn you into me
Cause Im a liar, a liar
Liar, liar, liar, liar

I dont know why I feel the need to lie
And cause you so much pain
Maybe its something inside
Maybe its something I cant explain
Cause all I do
Is mess you up and lie to you
Im a liar
Oh, I am a liar

If youll give me one more chance
I swear that I will never lie to you again
Because now I see the destructive power of a lie
Theyre stronger than truth
I cant believe I ever hurt you
I swear
I will never to you lie again, please
Just give me one more chance
I will never lie to you again
I swear
That I will never tell a lie
I will never tell a lie
No, no
Ha ha ha ha ha hah haa haa haa haaa
Sucker
Ill lie again
And again
Ill lie again and again
And Ill keep lying
I promise

pilamaye on July 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM

In marketing, when you have a bad product, increased advertising only makes the product sales decline faster.

Let Obama have the microphone. It will erode support faster than we can without his help.

Right_of_Attila on July 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Taking pleasure in an Obama voter losing his or her job makes me feel a little bad. But watching Obama himself lose his job will be one the greatest moments of my life.

Doughboy on July 20, 2009 at 9:47 AM

i don’t feel bad about it at all.

Ghoul aid on July 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM

NoDonkey on July 20, 2009

What a terrible thing to say about 52% of the electorate.
Let’s hope a significant percentage of that percentage wises up soon.

SKYFOX on July 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM

pilamaye on July 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Hehe,Hehre’s another Stones song for you: Sympathy for the Devil Well Dressed, Smooth Talking Collectivist

Won’t you guess my name?

forest on July 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Anyone know whether signs pushing Obama’s plan are allowed to be hung at state supported schools/medical centers?

CWforFreedom on July 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Big question: Now, why exactly is he doing this? Most people want no part of it, yet he persists. Does it just boil down to his ego vs. reality, and since it comes out of his mouth in the first place, he cannot stand discord or rejection. Is this how perverse the man is?

betsyz on July 20, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Ah, but he’s doing it so save us… no matter how much it hurts.

Yakko77 on July 20, 2009 at 12:08 PM

It’s ALL about ego. Messiah isn’t just president… he is our savior!

n0doz on July 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM

What a terrible thing to say about 52% of the electorate.
Let’s hope a significant percentage of that percentage wises up soon.

SKYFOX on July 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM
—–
Just shows that Lincoln’s quote still holds up.

We need to spin this as an educational exercise… Who got fooled? Who won’t get fooled next time?

Even comes with its’ own soundtrack….

Mew

acat on July 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I just emailed Sen. Bayh (again) to register my opposition to Obamacare and suggest that the thing he cherishes most, his title, is in danger if he supports shoving that crap sandwich down our throats. I know that I would never vote for him under any circumstance, but he doesn’t. Short of armed revolution, this is the only power we have.

SKYFOX on July 20, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Is there an honest way to poll people and get honest answers?

Not when you include democrats, liberal independents, and RINOs.

Polls are pretty much worthless except to get the sheep who have no brains or convictions of their own to follow the way the wind is currently blowing. Even if the wind isn’t blowing that direction, saying so in a poll will get the sheeple to follow anyway.

I’m sick of unthinking moronic sheeple. Grow some balls, people.

Spiritk9 on July 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I was puzzled when I saw Pelosi saying that the AMA Supported the House Obamacare bill…flabbergasted, even. Why would the preeminent association of doctors endorse a system that would put downward pressure on prices, force them to see more patients, and ration healthcare? Why?

Here’s why. The answer also includes one of my questions, “how many doctors are represented by the AMA?” Only one-third of doctors are represented by the AMA.

NickelAndDime on July 20, 2009 at 1:00 PM

True Patriots in action at this meeting with Congressman Mike Castle.

Got the link from Drudge

appearst that the birth certificate issue is gaining some traction.

ted c on July 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM

silvernana on July 20, 2009 at 11:00 AM

nana: I am so glad to hear that. We owe it to our kids, grandkids and everyone else. Just as those brave souls in 1776, WWII etc., we are now tasked with the preservation of freedom and liberty. During those treacherous times, the fabric of our country was stitched together by the strength of women. Your contributions are vital, your voice matters, your grandkids matter. You keep fighting and I guarantee your efforts will pay off, maybe not today, nor tomorrow–but at some point they will. And when that day comes, and come it will, those grandchildren will look back and say…Yes, my grandmother–she did that.

If I could tell you a story. Two weeks ago I buried my grandmother, a WWII Navy nurse. I brought home an extraordinary treasure–her scrapbook from the war. I knew her as grandma, but this book gave me a glimpse of her as a young woman, serving her country, treating injured sailors and marines, overseas and at Bethesda. She answered the call and 60 some years later I am proud to say she was my hero, because she stood up for me—long before I was born. Today, once again, we have that opportunity. It is the calling of our time.

Prov 23:23
ted

ted c on July 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

1320 hrs 20 JUL 09

Foxnews reporting Obama preparing to make live statement on health care.

He’s been doing CPR on this bill since Friday.

He was due to make a public statement about it on Wednesday.

Is he going to listen to the nurse, the patient is cold, rigored, and pulseless.

Time of death: 1321hrs EST 20 JUL 09

In lieu of flowers please send financial donations of 65% to the IRS.

ted c on July 20, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Obamacare: The first SHOVEL READY project we’ve seen thus far.

Obama started CPR on Obamacare on Friday afternoon.
His sycophants like Orzsag continued pumping on its chest on Sunday talk shows.
He planned a little presser for Wednesday…
He knew the patient may be dead by then…
So he had to get out there and keep defibrillating today.

Obamacare is bleeding profusely, it’s lungs are full of fluid, Dr. Obamastein is bagging the hell out of it.
All the rational people are backing away from the table and taking their gloves off–the masks pulled down… eyes low.

Obama’s instructions: KEEP WORKING, ahhhghh KEEP PUMPING, we have to keep it alive!

—the patient dies… it wasn’t meant to be.

There’s a grassy plot right next to another relative, HillaryCare….

It’s Shovel ready….. let’s bury it.

ted c on July 20, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Ed and AllahPundit:

It may be time for a headline…

“Is Obamacare Shovel Ready?”

triple dog dare you to do it.

ted c on July 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM

“Is Obamacare Shovel Ready?”
triple dog dare you to do it.

ted c on July 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM

GREAT ONE ted c

Triple dog dare you!!

yoda on July 20, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Let’s get AP and Ed to post it as a headline….

ted c on July 20, 2009 at 2:27 PM

More jawing at the cameras may not help much.

It’s all he knows.

Jim Treacher on July 20, 2009 at 2:41 PM

ted c on July 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

What a wonderfully touching story about your grandmother. I’m sorry for your loss, but glad you have these wonderful mementos. I can see why she is your hero.

silvernana on July 20, 2009 at 3:22 PM

because the only thing that matters to congressman is re-election.

kelley in virginia on July 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Yep… they’ve got pretty good gigs living it up in DC on our dime… they’re not going to risk losing the good life to fulfill Bambi’s dream of health care for all.

jana on July 20, 2009 at 7:34 PM

silvernana on July 20, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I urge everyone to read this link. It will blow your gasket for sure. I have already started sending letters about this to Congress. They are lying to us about this healthcare bill as Harry Reid sent me a letter and said “no illegals will be covered under this plan”.

KCinLV on July 20, 2009 at 10:19 PM

How highs the water Bama,
Its 6 ft high and rising

Did they teach you to swim in Hawaii or Pakistan or Kenya or wherevere the hell you are from?

bluegrass on July 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM