President boldly vows: My economy-wrecking health care bill will pass this year

posted at 5:04 pm on July 17, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler. For my money, this is a moment of almost unparalleled Obama jackassery: As noted last night, the substance of the bill seems secondary to him to the pure political challenge of cramming this turd down America’s cakehole, no matter how many people are gagging on it. Never mind that no less a Democrat than Steny Hoyer says it’s time to “go back to the drawing board.” Never mind that more than 50 liberals in the House are allegedly ready to walk because the bill’s not socialist enough, even as the Blue Dogs are ready to walk because it’s too socialistic. Never mind anything. Not only does health-care reform have to pass, it has to pass this year. The legacy of Hopenchange demands nothing less.

Breaking news as I write this: POTUS and TOTUS will be holding court at 9 p.m. on Wednesday to push ObamaCare. You know he’s worried if he thinks a primetime presser is necessary. Exit question: Will Wednesday night be the debut of his inevitable “I never said health-care reform would cut costs” lie?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

As noted last night, the substance of the bill seems secondary to the pure political challenge of cramming this turd down America’s cakehole, no matter how many people are gagging on it.

It’s not a political challenge. He NEEDS to get this and cap-and-traitor through in order to trash the dollar/economy and create a crisis, after which…etc. etc. etc.

Daggett on July 17, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I really thought President Bush didn’t get out there enough with his message.

I now think President Bush was a brilliant communicator compared to president prime time, all the time.

WitchDoctor on July 17, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Another example of mind blowing confidence. Remember his confidence in the outcome of the election. He knew he was not going to lose.

What does he know now, and what did he know then, that gave him such confidence? Or is President of the United States insane?

Skandia Recluse on July 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I’ll tell you what AP, if there’s one thing that Barry is good at—it’s engaging in total and complete Jackassery…

Delaware Vol on July 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Sorry, OT. Beck just played an extended portion of Mr. Alford reaming Boxer in a committee meaning. It was hilarious because they had a split-screen with Beck eating pudding!

BuckeyeSam on July 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Well, here is one more presser I can refuse to watch.

This guy is everywhere. It is getting creepy.

Terrye on July 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM

We choose to implement disastrous socialized medicine in this year and do the other things, not because they are easy – but because they are hard! Because that challenge is one we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone and one we intend to win!

MadisonConservative on July 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Keep digging that hole, Barry.

Daddy-O on July 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM

No no no.

The lie will be: The healthcare bill was never about healthcare!

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Read my lips moments every day……

The ’12 commercials write themselves.

portlandon on July 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM

The answer to the exit question is a resounding, OF COURSE!!!!

Delaware Vol on July 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Fix the economy first! Where are the jobs? Then fix Medicare! Why do we need Socialist medicine if the Democrats won’t even pledge to use thier own plan????

Stop the socialism! This is not a socialist country!

elduende on July 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Maybe he’ll use google to help him figure out if the plan will work not. Google trends FTW!

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM

elduende on July 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Economy is fixed, dude. Summers googled it. Geesh!

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Dream on chump.

marklmail on July 17, 2009 at 5:11 PM

He is dying his hair… No doubt.

RalphyBoy on July 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM

It has to pass now b/c there needs to be enough time before the 2010 midterms and, more importantly, his 2012 reelection for voters to forget how bad this bill is. Do it next year and you risk losing the House or the filibuster-proof Senate.

LastRick on July 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM

This, I think, will be a mistake for him. Because this is where he — live and in person — is going to try and shove it down people’s throats. And he is already somewhat overexposed.

BigD on July 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I want a bumper sticker the just says “jOke.” where the O is the big Obama O.

BadgerHawk on July 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Economy is fixed, dude. Summers googled it. Geesh!

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Oooops I stand corrected! Collectivize away then :-)

elduende on July 17, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Gack! Am I the only one who is sick of this Jacka.. being on the tube every single day?I can’t take any more of this…

sandee on July 17, 2009 at 5:13 PM

First we hear that now the stimulus bill was never meant to stimulate, then we hear that now the health care bill was never meant to reduce health care costs??

Oh and by the way, stifle all the debate, too. Nobody should get to read it of course, because if they did, they would be forced to vote against it.

ElRonaldo on July 17, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Willing to stake his whole presidency in the first few months with an all-in bet.

ICBM on July 17, 2009 at 5:13 PM

No, Mr President, there will be a great many sleepless nights after this passes.

Dopavash on July 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM

please keep Obam’ter(less) out there as often as possible, keeping him hammering away at this crap. Turn off more and people, please please please!

JamesLee on July 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Hubris. Glorious, velvety hubris.

Flyover Country on July 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Will somebody please sequester the carbon pollution based in D.C.

chemman on July 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Ticker: Obama: Without reform, we cannot control the costs.

American People: We don’t want YOU to control the costs. We want the market to control our costs!!!

Steve Z on July 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM

I was listening while doing something else and he repeated something twice. Was he emphasizing something or was it TOTUS revenge?

Tazz 55 on July 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM

LastRick on July 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Do you really think that if this big stink bomb passes now that we won’t feel the repercussions for the next 50 years?

VibrioCocci on July 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM

I was out of the country for 2 weeks. 2 weeks without the O –it was pure bliss.

Beaglemom on July 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I used to just not like obambi. Now I think he’s an asshole.

RedbonePro on July 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM

“unparalleled Obama jackassery”

An apt description if ever there was one. How does anyone who voted for this, this . . . I’ve run out of ways to describe him . . . sleep at night?

NebCon on July 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM

First we hear that now the stimulus bill was never meant to stimulate

Well, you have to admit, that was finally a truthful statement about the porkulus. Even if you don’t agree with my assumption that he’s pulling a Cloward-Piven on us, it was always just a “spend LOTS of money to reward my friends” bill.

Daggett on July 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Ticker: Obama: Without reform, we cannot control the costs.

Steve Z on July 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Obama: Did I just hear something? Nah. Anyway, as I was saying…

Daggett on July 17, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Congress to Obama: What do you mean, WE?

Steve Z on July 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Massive gift to trail lawyers found in Obamacare legislatioin

DrW on July 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I keep waiting for this epic Blue Dog Salvation™ I’ve been promised. So far all they’ve done is cast CYA no votes after inevitability has already been established.

Besides, if Obama’s willing to strong-arm Kyl and AZ, then these Blue Dogs (who got where they are purely because of Obama’s chief of staff) will fold like cheap lawn chairs.

spmat on July 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM

You mistake it as an ego push.

The details don’t matter. Getting substantive legislation through is what counts. Plants the seed, and a mighty oak will grow. Nothing will stop this hydra once it gets passed. Thus the “hurry up and pass something” attitude.

AP, you are pretty far off on this one. Ans you don’t seem to care one way or the other. Why is that?

Aquateen Hungerforce on July 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM

He has to pass the bill. It’s a payoff as well. Medical records, Unions, etc. Healthcare is a growing sector, get it under the govt. thumb, pass the Card Check bill and unionize more nurses and there’s a huge voting bloc. Payoff for 2008 and electoral insurance for 2012.

cs89 on July 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Hmmm where have I seen this tin horn Socialist cram down movie before…? Oh that’s right Hugo Chavez, mister social justice himself.

elduende on July 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Everything Obama says has an expiration date of 20 second after having said it.

He meant it when he said it though….

portlandon on July 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Here’s the link to the story on the gift to the trial lawyers.

I’m no lawyer, but if this passes, can class action lawsuits on behalf of the governmenat against Twinkie manufacturers be far behind?

DrW on July 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I really thought President Bush didn’t get out there enough with his message.

WitchDoctor on July 17, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I think the truth about Bush is that his White House put out rebuttals, issued statements to correct the record, and generally tried to get their message out. But the media didn’t care, so instead of being flooded with messages from Bush, we got one or 2 bits of information from Fox and the blogs instead.

I agree that this constant prime time address thing is being overdone. At some point, if we hear Obama’s every utterance, even the awestruck numbskulls will stop caring. Not that they EVER listened much to the substance of what he was saying.

hawksruleva on July 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM

And he is already somewhat overexposed.

BigD on July 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Somewhat? I wish the jackass would just go away, if only for a week.

txag92 on July 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Congress to Obama: What do you mean, WE?

Steve Z on July 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM

With his poll numbers falling , they might dare to say something like that. He’s playing a risky game.

the_nile on July 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM

WitchDoctor on July 17, 2009 at 5:06 PM

And Bush was not an habitual liar. But honesty is evidently one of the many casualties of embracing Hope.

jazz_piano on July 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Obama wants to consolidate more power in the white house.

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM

And Bush was not an habitual liar.

jazz_piano on July 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Bush’s speech pattern made him come across as one, though.

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM

If this monstrosity passes … wait until some leftist’s parents are refused health care because they’re no longer “productive” citizens. Wait until one of them is refused life saving medicine because it’s too expensive. Wait until they wait for hours to see a doctor because they’re running a 104 fever and aren’t given antibiotics and told to just let the fever run it’s course.

I will laugh.

Right now we have access to the best doctors, the best medicine and if you can’t pay you are never denied treatment. That will all change.

darwin on July 17, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Congress to Obama: What do you mean, WE?

Steve Z on July 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM

the_nile on July 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Especially since all House members will have to face the voters two years before Obama does.

Steve Z on July 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM

NebCon on July 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM

They sleep because, unlike you and me, they have hope.

Warm, fuzzy, inspirational, false hope.

jazz_piano on July 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Beck just called Obama a Marxist!

elduende on July 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM

“If I say this beach is safe to surf, this beach is safe to surf!”

redshirt on July 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Bush’s speech pattern made him come across as one, though.

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I’m not sure what you mean by his ‘speech pattern.’ Can you elaborate?

jazz_piano on July 17, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Step 1: Pass this bill!
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:25 PM

“If I say this beach is safe to surf, this beach is safe to surf!”

redshirt on July 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM

But Charlie don’t surf

DrW on July 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM

jazz_piano on July 17, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Come on. Listen to his speeches. He was hesitant, not confident in what he said. Lots of ums/ahs/etc. I think I heard him give 1 good speech his entire presidency. I dunno if he wasn’t quick on his toes or what, but his whole patten of speech made him come across very poorly. It’s a major reason why he couldn’t get support for anything.

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM

He must be right, the Googling of “Obama heath care plan failing” is less this month then last month…

right2bright on July 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM

What is this guy going to do when his main agenda items, crap-n-tax and ObamaCare, do not pass this year? He will never have a bigger majority than he has now. Nothing major gets passed in even number years. He does not give two sh*ts about foreign policy, unless it is given our money away to foreign nations or non-US entities (e.g., IMF).

I guess it will be weekly TV show where we get to see his dates with Michelle.

WashJeff on July 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Man Obama looked like a true Chicago Mob Boss with that presser. In effect he said he was going to FORCE Congress to get implement HIS vision of America. If anyone finds a link to the transcript of that presser, I’d like to have it. His true colors were shinning through and when he realized it .. he started to back off a bit.

Texas Gal on July 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM

DrW on July 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM

On the other hand, when a doctor under Obamacare screws up, can we sue the gubment?

NebCon on July 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM

No no no.

The lie will be: The healthcare bill was never about healthcare!

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Yeah, this is actually all about health stabilization.

What Obama going to do? Strap dynamite to his chest? Call out his ACORN goons?

ddrintn on July 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM

NebCon on July 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Nope.

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Okay, I see what you meant. You were referring to his speaking ability/style (or lack thereof).

jazz_piano on July 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Incredible, has a guy who’s accomplished so little in his life, EVER tried to be so thoroughly destructive and dictatorial????

Delaware Vol on July 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I agree with you, Daggett, he is pulling a Cloward-Piven. Yuri Bezmenov warned us, Saul Alinskly educated the lib’s, and Obama is implementing. Play by play.

JustTruth101 on July 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM

You know, the healthcare plan that the Congress enjoys is not the same plan as the Obama wants to pass ram down our throats.

Maybe the Obama should be the first to put himself and his family and the rest of his administration, on his plan so we can see how it really works.

I’ll bet there will be some serious back peddling.

Kini on July 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM

This is what he feels is the only way he can save his presidency…he will go all out.
He knows if this fails to pass, he will go down, even among is supporters, the worst president ever.
Everything hinges on this, and if the Republicans leaders were smart (and few are), they would begin their attack now. Haven’t heard much from any of the “leaders”.

right2bright on July 17, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I guess it will be weekly TV show where we get to see his dates with Michelle.

WashJeff on July 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I’ll take it if it keeps this dangerous socialist fool from destroying the country.

elduende on July 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM

With the amount of time Willie Whistle spends on TV, his real dream job must be being a Hollywood celebbrity. I wish he’d just step down and save everyone (including himself) a lot of agony and get himself cast in a new version of “The West Wing.”

crazy_legs on July 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I think he’s going to fail at this. Epic. Fail. Hop on tv again, go ahead. Millions are through listening to you, bucko!

scalleywag on July 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM

VibrioCocci on July 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM

There’s a difference between feeling its effects and it being in the news. The former is a slow bleed on the party that passes it but that’s tougher to translate into victories this November; the latter (being in the news) is an anchor hanging around the necks of the Democrats and Obama, pulling their poll numbers down. Obama, if he can get it passed before the August recess, probably feels that would afford him a few months to take the heat off of Dems running for election this season.

LastRick on July 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM

It’ll probably be a variation of Crazy Joe’s “You have to spend money to save money”.

ddrintn on July 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I remember that Bush was confident that amnesty would pass, and look how that turned out.

DFCtomm on July 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM

It’s too early for that. I fully expect Barack to make things clear for us on something or other around 10 times and put us on notice at least three times during the presser.

What I think could be done, since the presser isn’t until Wednesday, is to call and write the various News Organizations that have reporters there and demand that that they ask serious and probing questions and not let Obama get away with his evasive and misleading Lightworker rhetoric.

Light up the phones and stuff the e-mail boxes. Put the pressure on the media to be the representatives of our right to know and question our government that they are always claiming they are.

Dusty on July 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM

POTUS and TOTUS will be holding court at 9 p.m. on Wednesday to push ObamaCare

Schweet Mary, mother of God, WHY CAN’T HE LEAVE US ALONE???!???????!???????????

**weeps like little girl**

tree hugging sister on July 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM

He missed a great opportunity to say “Read my lips”…

right2bright on July 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM

With all his faults, and there were many, I always believed George Bush was being honest. I felt safe. With Obama it is just the opposite.I miss W.

sandee on July 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM

I hope he fails.

Fallen Sparrow on July 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Cloward-Piven

another article on it

JustTruth101 on July 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM

NYT reporter prepares his question: How enchanting will it be to wait 9 months for arthritis treatment?

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Nancy Pelosi says they have the “support of the American people” for BarryCare. Do those people live in an alternate universe or are they just stupid and/or high?

txag92 on July 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I’m listening to the radio and AP is reporting as if this is almost a done deal by Monday.

Blake on July 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Dusty on July 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Nice theory. The problem with it is that you’re talking about a media that did everything they could to get him elected, and one who even promised he’d do everything he could to make sure he succeeds.

scalleywag on July 17, 2009 at 5:34 PM

As a followup: Why are fellow democrats so mean and not supporting your perfect piece legistlation?

lorien1973 on July 17, 2009 at 5:34 PM

This press conference might be different. The country is turning against this thing hard and fast. This bill is about killing old people and leaving sick people to die. The reporters who call him out on bankrupting the country while destroying health care will get a lot of attention. Somehow I just don’t expect the same total lapdog show we’ve seen before. Barry better have all his little duckies in a row for this one — and the GOP better have one hell of a response to his hard sell.

Rational Thought on July 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM

This guy is so damn egotistical. I have never seen anyone so full of himself before–and that includes Bill Clinton. I can’t stand the sight of him, let alone the lies that come out of his whistling pie hole. 2012 cannot get here soon enough! My fear, however, is that we won’t have anything left to save by then. Ugggh!

Redneck Woman on July 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I fear we are really, no I mean really see the evil clown if this thing doesn’t pass.

d1carter on July 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM

txag92 on July 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM

If she says it then we know that’s not true.

scalleywag on July 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Oh Goody Goody Gumdrops! Let’s destroy the country!
)(#*@ POS, good for nothing, waste of skin, )(#&$@#!

HornetSting on July 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Schweet Mary, mother of God, WHY CAN’T HE LEAVE US ALONE???!???????!???????????

**weeps like little girl**

tree hugging sister on July 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM

LastRick on July 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM

sandee on July 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Many older folks, coming to a realization that Obamacare will throw them on the trash heap are terrified.

I think the cat’s out of the bag though … and it’s being spread by word of mouth and the internet. Once out, no amount of lies by Obama will be able to put it back in.

darwin on July 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM

cs89 on July 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Don’t forget millions of illegal aliens. They’ll benefit from the bill because they’ll be entitled to enroll in the “public option” plan and get “tax rebates” (IOW, welfare checks courtesy of U.S. taxpayers) to pay for it.

But unlike U.S. citizens, the illegals will not be forced to buy health insurance or get fined for not doing so. As usual, it’s a win/win for the illegals, and U.S. taxpayers get screwed over once again to pay for it all.

AZCoyote on July 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM

What ever happened to his worn out tune of “This is a crisis that will become a catastrophe if we don’t do something right now”?

Oh wait, he already wasted that boldfaced lie on the Stimulawhatever thingy.

I look at it this way, Obama just handed the republicans another primo video clip they can play next year after this boondoggle that he owns doesn’t pass.

fogw on July 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM

All I know is that I think the president should keep talking about hospice and pain killing drugs, he’s almost got me convinced. /

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Redneck Woman on July 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I’d take either one of the Clintons over this man.

jazz_piano on July 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM

tree hugging sister on July 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Seriously, he’s in TV Guide now.

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Let Obama threaten Congressman and buy off votes … the public doesn’t want this. If it gets passed dems will lose seats big time in 2010.

By 2010 … everything will be known about the turd known as Obamacrare. Right now they’re moving so fast no one knows everything that’s in it.

darwin on July 17, 2009 at 5:38 PM