GOP “insiders”: Palin will be a campaign asset next year

posted at 6:10 pm on July 17, 2009 by Allahpundit

The sentence I never thought I’d write: Republican chieftains have a fee-vah and the only prescription is more Sarahcuda!

A solid majority of Democratic Insiders said Palin would be more of a liability [59/38], while a smaller majority of Republicans [53/42] thought she would be an asset.

The GOP responses were probably the most intriguing because they reflect two ongoing debates with in the party. One, of course, is over Palin herself and her future in the party; many Republicans see her as a force, others almost hold her in contempt. The other argument focuses on whether Republicans are more likely to win elections by turning out the base or attracting independents and even a few disgruntled Democrats. Palin, who is practically a rock star to the party base but remains a polarizing figure for many non-Republicans, seems to embody that discussion. Still, she remains one of the most intriguing politicians of the day.

As one GOP insider put it: “Just like the movie with Cameron Diaz, there’s just something about Sarah. Don’t ask me to explain it, though.”

For spice, scroll down and read the “insider” quotes collected at National Journal as part of the survey. Sample: “Is Sarah Palin really the face we want to project to the American people? Jeez, where do we find these people?” Patrick Ishmael made the case a few days ago for unleashing her as a force in the congressional races and I honestly can’t see how anyone would disagree. Sure, her negatives are high, but are they so high that an independent in a red or purplish district who can’t decide how to vote is going to swing Democratic just because she shows up for a fundraiser? It’s more likely that Republicans who’d otherwise stay home or ignore the congressional race altogether will light up when she comes to town. That is to say, what makes Palin a potentially weak presidential nominee doesn’t really come into play in targeted congressional campaigning: Because she’s not a candidate herself, her perceived shakiness on national policy won’t matter, and since she can be deployed to rural districts that appreciate her strengths, there’s less worry of her alienating urban undecideds. All she needs to deliver is charisma and the imprimatur of “true conservatism” and she could do that in her sleep. Which I guess explains how the same “insiders” who ranked her seventh as a potential nominee a few months ago could be gung ho to have her out on the trail in House and Senate races next year.

In the meantime, she’s promising to debut a new Twitter feed soon — one that’s decidedly “less politically correct” than the one she runs now. What could go wrong?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

yoda on July 17, 2009 at 7:28 PM
——————-

In a little over a week she becomes a private citizen and can do or say anything she wants just short of libel or slander.

Should be fun to watch.

LankyLou on July 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM

what’s a bong… ;)

jerrytbg on July 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM
———————–

The sound you hear when you hit a troll over the head

LankyLou on July 17, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I thought that was ‘bonk’.

Lanceman on July 17, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I thought that was ‘bonk’.

Lanceman on July 17, 2009 at 7:39 PM
————————–

bonk,bong…lib trolls don’t know the difference

LankyLou on July 17, 2009 at 7:42 PM

She’ll be an asset to the GOP like Ron Paul is an asset to the GOP – lots of sizzle, lots of fundraising, an army of devoted robots, but few actual votes in the end. Except unlike Sarah Palin, Ron Paul never bailed out of an elected office job because he couldn’t handle all the ethics violations investigations.

keep the change on July 17, 2009 at 6:53 PM

You sir, are a moron.

Brian1972 on July 17, 2009 at 7:44 PM

no matter what you think of her, she attracts crowds & motivates crowds & raises money. i would love for her to appear for whomever runs against our nitwit of a Dem Cong, Tom Perriello (5CD, VA)

kelley in virginia on July 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I’ve got a very vulnerable so-called “Blue Dog Dem” here in my district, John Tanner. Our local radio guy has been up his a$$ like a hot poker lately. He’s been there in DC for twenty years, and 2010 might be it for him.

If Sarah Palin comes here, that might do it. This town would explode. Some idiot libs would probably protest, but the turnout would be huge. Maybe I need to write a letter or two…..

Brian1972 on July 17, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Go Sarah!

davidk on July 17, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Hey, the tide is turning.

Terrye on July 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM

The “Insiders” just said “uh oh.” If Palin sits out 2010 and 2012 Republicans can kiss off retaking Congress or the White House.

I don’t think Palin would run in 2012. Regardless how badly the nation tanks the cost of defeating Obama will be astronomical. She’s no dummy. She can do the math. Right off the bat I’d have to say Mitt’s the only guy in the field today with the money and organization to go for it in 2012.

I probably won’t vote for him but I won’t deny the obvious.

rcl on July 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM

“Lanceman on July 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM”

actually the illusion of what Allah looks like is more appealing then actually finding out.

upinak on July 17, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Agreed, the fun is in the mystery. That said, I’m sure that Allah is just as bewitching a creature as any other self professed beta-male blogger. In fact in the beta-male blogger world, my money would be on him. :D

unwashed minion on July 17, 2009 at 8:05 PM

unwashed minion on July 17, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Yeah, well, I’d still like to get the Ayatollah picture outta my head!

Lanceman on July 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM

She will help them by jacking up turnout like crazy. Same she did for McCain.

I hate to point this out. And I know I’ll have to duck for cover. But McCain/Palin pulled 3.2 million fewer votes than Bush/Cheney did in 2004.

I really don’t buy the conventional wisdom that the conservative base has to be motivated to vote. We know what’s at stake and we haul ourselves out to the polls without any bread and circuses.

It’s the Oprah-watching, Cheetos-eating crowd on the other side who have to be prodded to get their fat asses off the couch.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Rush often mentions “Ed Morrissey over at Hot Air”.
I never hear him say “Allahpundit over at Hot Air”.
That’s where the AP-Obama comes in.
Double entendre’ maybe?
Surely I didn’t spell that one right>

Lanceman on July 17, 2009 at 8:11 PM

But McCain/Palin pulled 3.2 million fewer votes than Bush/Cheney did in 2004.

Oops…should have read 3.6 million fewer votes.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:11 PM

The GOP will do what the DNC did with Obama.
They’ll go with a winner, period.

I think a lot of people are over thinking this whole thing.
Her popularity hasn’t taken a huge hit, because people are curious about her. So when she shows up, the crowds will be huge, the money will flow, and the GOP will follow the money.

If she’s successful at getting her people elected she’ll be pushed pulled and dragged to run in ’12. If she wants to, it’s hers.
The question is, what does she wanna do?

B Man on July 17, 2009 at 8:13 PM

But McCain/Palin pulled 3.2 million fewer votes than Bush/Cheney did in 2004.

Oops…should have read 3.6 million fewer votes.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:11 PM
————————-

Exit polls said 20% of Bush voters went for Obama. People can argue that Palin caused that but there’s no way to prove it. At any rate, it shouldn’t have happened and I put it squarely on the sloppy McCain campaign mgmt.

LankyLou on July 17, 2009 at 8:16 PM

She’ll make most of the people she stumps for look weak by comparison. Might not be such a good idea for ‘em.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 17, 2009 at 8:18 PM

another idiot point from allah. her negatives are high because of the MSM attacks on her and to some degree a couple of interviews. A person on the campaign trail tends to bring done their negatives as people see and hear the canidate themselves without the filter of the media. therefore Palin’s appearance in purple districts and blue districts like I don’t know say ALBANY (20,000) came out to see her would bring her negatives down.

People that assume that Palin will only play well in red districts have no idea of the power of her views.

unseen on July 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM

And this post from a person that thought Palin was done as a political force tells you all you need to be able to judge the merits of his thoughts when it comes to Palin. allah as let his basis blind him to the facts.

unseen on July 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Any chance this had something to do with the top of the ticket?

How about the wisdom that much of the conservative base didn’t vote for either? McCain would have been a disaster with an R after his name. Better to attack Obama than defend McCain.

Partisan on July 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM

She will be an asset if she avoids stupid mistakes.

Speedwagon82 on July 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Exit polls said 20% of Bush voters went for Obama

That can’t be right…that would have been a swing of 12 million votes.

I think you’re referring to the fact that 20% of self-identified conservatives told exit pollsters they voted for Obama.

Which completely freaks me out. Was the First Negro President allure that powerful?

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:22 PM

She will be an asset if she avoids stupid mistakes.

Speedwagon82 on July 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM
—————————–

Well that was profound.

LankyLou on July 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Partisan on July 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM

No. The 3.6 million fewer votes in 2008 is much more than accounted for by moderates who went hopey/changey.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:22 PM

It’s a shame to say this but some Republicans don’t even know why they’re Republicans.

Lanceman on July 17, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Lanceman on July 17, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Yeah, but you expect conservatives to know why they’re conservatives.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Is it possible that acorn manufactured 3.6 million votes?

Lanceman on July 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM

That can’t be right…that would have been a swing of 12 million votes.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:22 PM
____________________________________

You’re probably right on the 20% but it still shouldn’t have happened. I don’t want to get into the first Negro
stuff here. My oversimplified opinion on why we lost is because of Bush hatred and the financial meltdown. I don’t
think any Republican could have survived that. The bad timing was just incredible.

LankyLou on July 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Yeah, but you expect conservatives to know why they’re conservatives.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Difference between conservative and Republican.
Hey, all, the guy that lost Viet Nam for us is dead.
Did I mention that John F’ing Kerry served there?

Lanceman on July 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM

I don’t think the cause and effect relationship is what you are implying. Keep in mind the timeline

- Obama surges ahead
- McCain names Palin, first Sarah Speech, McCain/Palin pulles slightly ahead of Ozero
- Someone dumps half a trillion dollars and tanks the market. The Ozero caused houses for votes thing collapses, Obama ignores it, McCain puts on his tights and cape and cavorts back to Washington to ‘save the day”
- Soros and Ayers… oops, I meant Jugears, pulls ahead and stays there.

To look at Palin as a variable in the election, we have to look at the timeline. Looking at that, it appears that she was well on her way to pull McCain kicking and screaming to the whitehouse.

Yeah, I know the Couric interview kicked in there but I believe the bigger factor was the engineered crash of our economy.

BTW – Here’s a word of advice for Team Sarah and another other Republicans in 2012

“Yeah, I’ll do an interview with your biased dipsh*t liberal tingly legged ozero sycophant so-called ‘journalist’ exactly 24 hours after Ozero does a 1 hour interview with Hannity, Rush or Boortz.” (I would say Ted Nugent but that would be too much to hope for)

bullseye on July 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM

. I don’t want to get into the first Negro

Well, one has to think that Ogabe motivated blacks to bring out a couple million extra votes. And the under-29 crowd gave Ogabe 3 million more votes than they gave to Kerry – and his race was a huge motivator for them.

I’m just speculating that had it been Hillary at the top of the Dem ticket, the results would have been a lot closer.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:37 PM

The reason Palin pulled us ahead is because a lot of liberal white women who mostly had been Hillary supporters were angry the Obamessiah snubbed their leader. As soon as they learned Palin didn’t share any Hillary-like policy positions, and Obama did some sweet talking, they went back to Black Jesus.

Speedwagon82 on July 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM

bullseye on July 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Plausible. But given that same time-line, it’s also plausible that the MSM had sufficient time to whip up hatred for Palin. As I recall – and I could be wrong and I’m too lazy to check right now – the McCain/Palin post-convention bounce was already pretty much exhausted before McCain put a fork in it with his fatuous “suspending my campaign” stunt.

As for the Couric interview thing, I thought it was very ill-advised for Palin to agree to it. There was absolutely no upside potential.

And I also think it’s time for the GOP to tell the MSM to stick their moronic “debate” formats up where the sun don’t shine. Have a proper debate, not a bunch of morons sending in YouTube videos asking the Republican candidate why he hates black babies.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Speedwagon82 on July 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I think the Sarah bounce was more among moderate women who could relate to her life story. But once she was painted as a zealous pro-life Creationist and caricatured by Tina Fey, they got the willies.

My mom is one of those idiot “moderate” independents. She voted Ogabe. Regrets it now. I asked her, “so, why the hell did you do it?” She answered, “I just hate that Sarah Palin!”.

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I only hope she has enough sense to help conservative candidates in 2010 and “just say no” to the DOAGOP in 2012.

After the Sotomayor (among too many other) debacle, I intend to support only a “liberty-oriented” political party from here on out.

Death to the GOP.

OH. Excuse me.

The GOP is dead. Long may it stay so.

Lockstein13 on July 17, 2009 at 8:51 PM

After Obama is done being President. The DEMS plan to run a
Wheelchair bound Hmong midget to bring out new voting blocks.

Jeff from WI on July 17, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Any chance this had something to do with the top of the ticket?

Partisan on July 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Yeah, and the lack of Rove’s ground game. Look at the fools who were “running” the McCain campaign.

ddrintn on July 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Any chance this had something to do with the top of the ticket?

Partisan on July 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM

All you have to do is look at the turnout for McCain’s campaign events versus those for Palin. There was an enormous disparity. McCain had very soft support. He won the primary because Huck stole votes from Mitt.

Never before has the bottom of the ticket so out shined the top like in 2008. If it wasn’t for Palin it would have been an even bigger blowout.

Geochelone on July 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Sarah “Goldwater II” Palin. I’ll stick by it until she proves otherwise.

Blacksmith on July 17, 2009 at 11:23 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Not sure where you live at. but the Palin bounce wher ei live was all for Palin. most people here voted for Palin not McCain. the funds that came into McCain’s campaign also shows that Palin woke up the base. Phones for helping the Mccain campaign started ringing off the hook once Palin was announced.

The interview with katy Palin had no say so in it. It was arranged by the McCain campaign not her yet another reason how McCain blew it. and no the Palin bounce was not over after the convention. In fact it was going higher after Palin’s speech. McCain lost the election with two things.

He promised to name names and fight and he did not

And He suspended his campaign to go back to DC instead of running away from DC

If not for Palin McCain would have lost 49 states. Yes he was that bad of a canidate. finally you might want to tell your motrher to vote on issues next time not personility. I bet she hated bush too.

unseen on July 17, 2009 at 11:49 PM

As a registered Democratic, I can safely say that the only thing worse than a Republican is a modern Democrat.

That being said, I am more than willing to give Sarah Palin much, much more than the benefit of the doubt.

Whoever the candidate is in 2012, I hope they have more sense than to trust the snakes in the McCain campaign.

Laurence on July 17, 2009 at 11:54 PM

She will be an asset if she avoids stupid mistakes.

Speedwagon82 on July 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Stunned, stunned! by the sheer brilliance of this observation.

You should also have added:

She’ll be an asset if she doesn’t get hit by a bus, or struck by a meteor.

massrighty on July 17, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Sarah “Goldwater II” Palin. I’ll stick by it until she proves otherwise.

Blacksmith on July 17, 2009 at 11:23 PM

You can apply that label to any potential GOP candidate until proven otherwise.

ddrintn on July 18, 2009 at 12:06 AM

AP will be a ‘Cuda convert by 2010.

darwin on July 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM

It’s possible. But I wouldn’t bet on it.

Allahpundit on July 17, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I just don’t understand your attitude towards Sarah. She can do for the Republicans what Obama did for the Democrats. Maybe not in 2012, because she won’t be given the chance, but possibly 2016. How could you not like her? She’s one of us, and most of the Republicans in this Country have had it with all this elitist B.S. that comes out of Washington and the so called “powers that be”! Give her a chance for heaven’s sake!

Susanboo on July 18, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Maybe AP is an elitist…?

B Man on July 18, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Palin will be a campaign asset? What the hell took them so long to figure that one out?

Doughboy on July 17, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Long enough to look around and see that none of their more moderate, less controversial darlings would generate enough excitement to draw a crowd large enough to fill a phone booth.

ddrintn on July 18, 2009 at 1:50 AM

GOP “insiders”: Palin will be a campaign asset next year

I said this right here the day after she resigned.

Hey, maybe I should be a blogger!

drjohn on July 18, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Frankly, she should NOT help out a single one of the people who talk about her to the press as negative.

No way.

AnninCA on July 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM

If you don’t believe that Palin can be elected POTUS in 2012 after what we’re seeing from Ogabe every day, you’re the one who needs some oxygen!
Jenfidel on July 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM

It’s the white female vote that will not allow her a presidency.

elderberry on July 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Since I joined this conversation late, I’ll comment on a bunch of posts. Just my opinions, but I can tie them together.

Should be fun to watch.
LankyLou on July 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Yes. Fireworks. Start the music

keep the change on July 17, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Dense comment. How many ethics charges were leveled against Ron Paul, exactly? And how much of his own money would he have had to spend on them? And, how long would it have continued to hamstring his ability to effectively serve?
Support your candidate in any way you choose, but try to see that each persons circumstance is different.

The GOP will do what the DNC did with Obama.
They’ll go with a winner, period.
I think a lot of people are over thinking this whole thing.
If she’s successful at getting her people elected she’ll be pushed pulled and dragged to run in ‘12. If she wants to, it’s hers.
The question is, what does she wanna do?
B Man on July 17, 2009 at 8:13 PM

This is spot on. I’ve said before; whoever picks up the mantle of core conservatism, (Strong defense, American exceptionalism, Smaller government,) will energize the base, and the so-callled “insiders” and party leaders will bet a winning horse every time.

ddrintn on July 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Yes, and Obama had Axelrod, Emmanuel, the entire Clinton machine (after Hillary was dispatched.) Sadly, McCain/Palin were out-matched in the strategic arena.

ddrintn on July 18, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Moderate is often a synonym for boring. Extremists take sides, and argue passionately for them. Who wants to go see a speaker who doesn’t bring the heat?

massrighty on July 18, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Jenfidel on July 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM

It’s the white female vote that will not allow her a presidency.

elderberry on July 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM

The white female vote has be lied to and emotionaly manipulated by the lamestream media about everything. The lamestream media and their democrat allies have no clothes. Reality is rapidly intruding upon their utopian vision for America. Voters of all types are eventually going to realize the utopia is not possible and those that promise it in excange for our liberty are liars.

Partisan on July 18, 2009 at 10:47 AM

-guntotinglibertarian

What isn’t mentioned here is that 8 million McCain voters were Democrats that were partial to Clinton. And 10 million Republicans that voted in the primaries did not vote in the GE. So even with a 16 million vote swing toward the GOP minus 10 million should have still guaranteed a win. But the base DID stay home. I’m not sure how many non-primary voters stayed home this year on top of all this, but it looks like it was significant.

I don’t think you realize just how big of a deficit the GOP really had at the end, all of their own making, and the chances it had to win it before the economic “crisis” when McCain was in the lead.

Palin revived a campaign that had died for the second time. That’s too much for any politician. And yet, she almost pulled it off in a year where Dems believed they were all but guaranteed a win.

MrX on July 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Excerpt from Allah’s post:

“Patrick Ishmael made the case a few days ago for unleashing her as a force in the congressional races and I honestly can’t see how anyone would disagree.”

I agree with Allah except that I think she needs to start “campaigning” for candidates and making appearances designed to intimidate BlueDogs NOW, not next year.
Here’s my analogy:
We’re passengers in a plane one-quarter of the way en route from HopeAndChangeNov2008 to HopeForChangeNov2012.
The pilot is Captain PelosiReid.
The co-pilot is BlueDog.
The navigator is BoehnerMcConnell.
The plane has been losing fuel and altitude at an alarming rate.
Obama is the Air Controller.
Controller Obama orders PelosiReid to continue to the scheduled destination.
Captain PelosiReid agree.
Navigator BoehnerMcConnell says we’ll crash and burn unless we divert to MarketForce2009 now.
Navigator BoehnerMcConnell tells Co-Pilot Blue Dog he must seize control from Pilot PelosiReid.
Co-Pilot Blue Dog, fearing being stripped of seniority by Captain PelosiReid, says he thinks we can make it to WaitSee2010.
Stewardess Palin, who had been serving hors d’oeuvres, overhears the cockpit discussion.
Stewardess Palin confides to other flight attendants that she thinks Navigator BoehnerMcConnell is right and that the flight attendants should urge Co-Pilot BlueDog to take over.
All other flight attendants (even those who agree with Navigator BoehnerMcConnell) tell Stewardess Palin she must stick to her job serving hors d’oeuvres to the passengers.
Stewardess Palin, whose expertise on energy sources and consumption vastly exceeds that of the other flight attendants, says to them, “We can’t continue on course to HopeForChangeNov2012 because we will have crashed and burned long before we get there. We must divert to MarketForce2009 now, so we must convince Co-Pilot BlueDog the consequences of trying to make it to WaitSee2010 will be far worse than being “stripped of seniority.”
All other flight attendants tell Stewardess Palin that as long as she wears the uniform, she must continue serving hors d’oeuvres.
Stewardess Palin says, “I quit” and changes from her uniform into ordinary attire.
Passenger Palin enters the cockpit.
Gaining the attention of the Co-Pilot, Passenger Palin uses her vastly superior knowledge on energy sources and consumption to impart to the Co-Pilot an understanding of reality sufficient to make the hair stand up on the back of his neck about the danger of trying to make it to WaitSee2010.
Co-Pilot Bluedog decides his fear of crashing and burning in trying to make it to WaitSee2010 is greater than his fear of being stripped of seniority, so he decides to use the threat of seizing control to force Captain PelosiReid to avoid overflying MarketForce2009.
All of this has little to do with who should be Captain in 2012, because if we don’t divert to MarketForce2009, our plane will have crashed and burned long before 2012.
Palin seems to understand this while so many of the other flight attendants and passengers are too oblivious to the danger and too focused on how to get a new Captain in 2012.
Frontier women understand aspects of reality that elude fops from “back East.”

Jim Wrenn on July 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Is Sarah PalinAre ineffectual idiotic ‘GOP insiders’ really the face we want to project to the American people? Jeez, where do we find these people?”

Edited to bring it closer to the truth.

ddrintn on July 18, 2009 at 3:45 PM

….
guntotinglibertarian on July 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM

And you blame this on the person at the bottom of the ticket?

didymus on July 18, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Jim Wrenn on July 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Very nice :-)

disa on July 19, 2009 at 2:36 PM

After the election when McCain didn’t immediately come to Palin’s defense and stop all the backstabing from his people, I lost all respect for the man.

Oh, I know!! Unbelievable. My jaw still drops when I recall how I waited and waited for him to defend her. As far as I’m concerned, it was highly dishonorable on his part.

Paraphrasing Reagan here. ” There are simple answers, they just aren’t easy answers” Sarah understands that, and that’s a threat to all the gvmnt technocratic elite who assure us they know better and that we can’t get along without them.

Partisan on July 17, 2009 at 7:32 PM

I confess that since I’m not a politician myself, the prospect of all the work – the sheer effort she has to devote to this cause – is not a little daunting.

disa on July 19, 2009 at 2:58 PM

LankyLou on July 17, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I still think it’s the racial thing. People didn’t have any reason not to participate in the reckless orgy of voting for O and the Age of Aquarius or whatever. The sycophantic media saw to it that the information about who Obama really is stayed entirely under the radar.

In 2012, that will not be the case. But of course, 2009 is where we have the most influence – yes, right now. We can impact voting in Congress now, if only through delay of health care reform and cap-and-trade. This gives someone like SP some time to paint a picture for the just-plain-folks* and bring some sanity to Congress. Plus, the media can’t ignore her for long.

disa on July 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I believe the bigger factor was the engineered crash of our economy.

bullseye on July 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Me too. I guess that makes me some kind of conspiracy theorist.

disa on July 19, 2009 at 3:30 PM