Video: Buck up, little cowpokes!

posted at 2:57 pm on July 15, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama starts off with his rhetorical tic, “I just want to be clear,” before saying repeatedly that America has to “buck up” about health-care reform. “Buck up”? Right now, it looks like a trillion bucks up, and counting. A single buck would be a welcome change (via Greg Hengler at TownHall):

The problem with the ObamaCare proposal isn’t a lack of faith in Obama. It’s the unemployment numbers that keep rising, the deficit that Obama keeps growing like the beanstalk in the fable, and the unavoidable taxes that will have to hit all Americans, and not just the rich, as the natural consequence of it all. Instead of “buck up,” the public knows the operative phrase is “brace yourself.”

Update: Forgot to link back to Greg; my apologies.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Here is a link to substantiate my claims at 3:44

justincase on July 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM

House Members Being Hammered Over Waxman-Markey [Iain Murray]

I’m hearing that the popular reaction to the passage of the Waxman-Markey electricity tax bill in the House has blown House members away. The public outrage is really hurting those who voted for it, and that’s why the bill has been “parked” (as the Blair government used to say) in the Senate. Very good sign. We need that sort of public pressure to defeat this monstrosity, and similarly for the health-care plans. If these two overreaches go down, Obama’s political capital will be spent. How often has a president become a lame duck by his own actions within a year of taking office?

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Although this is one of my favorite quotations, I do not think it applies to Obama. He is about power, not making things better for everybody as a whole… He knows that his plans will lead to collective suffering, but he thinks it is still more desirable because it is more FAIR, in his opinion.

Joe Caps on July 15, 2009 at 3:41 PM

In other words, he’s doing it for our own good. For Obama, good means, as you point out, “fairness”.

Weight of Glory on July 15, 2009 at 3:55 PM

now all those 20 something dopes walking around with Hope & Change shirts will really learn what unemployment is about…..

Even if they are employed, the bill hits those who turn down insurance (as 20 somethings often do) with an additonal 2.5% income tax. But those simpletons already voted for the destruction of their economic futures anyway, so what the hell does it matter?

RadClown on July 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Hmmm..a black man using the word “buck”…Hmm..er…ah…

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Mandingo!!

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 3:38 PM

lol

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I don’t intend to drag the thread OT, but have you heard anything new on Honduras?

a capella on July 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM

OK… Obama’s getting ready to buck us all with Obamacare, but I just love how we’re told that “Everyone’s on board”… especially the part about the American People being on board”… I had to laugh…

CynicalOptimist on July 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM

When it comes to Obama, I think “Buck” was a misspelling.

Buford Gooch on July 15, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I don’t listen to Obamas,except when following links here.So,I haven’t actually heard him speak much(although I will read transcripts),but evey time I do listen to him,I’m even more amazed that anyone would have voted for him.
I guess there is no way to underestimate the stupidity of the American voters.

DDT on July 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM

RadClown on July 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM

The only thing these young dolts understand about taxes is how big their refund is. How many times have you hear idiots like that crowing about how big their refund was? And when you explain to them that just means they were stupid enough to loan the Feds money interest-free, they completely blank out on you. Doesn’t compute.

What does compute is that they have exactly as many votes as you do.

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM

That’s interesting. I live in SW Ohio. My rep is Jean Schmidt (OH-2) in a fairly safe GOP district, though Obama made it closer in November. Just north is Boehner’s district, which is safely GOP. But on Cincinnati’s west side is a blue-collar district that is racially mixed but flips from Blue to Red ever several cycles. In November, they dumped a GOP incumbent of several terms in favor of a younger Dem moron–Steve Driehaus.

Anyway, Driehaus voted in favor of cap-and-trade, and ever since then, someone (I haven’t caught the sponsor) has been running frequent TV ads urging voters to call Driehaus’s office to THANK him for voting for the measure. I’ve never seen anything like it. I guess the DNC or someone sees him as so week and vulnerable that he needs rehabilitation. All I have to say is that when all those west siders start losing jobs, I think he’s going to get creamed.

BuckeyeSam on July 15, 2009 at 4:03 PM

a capella on July 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Yes, I understand they are still a bunch of little brown people who don’t understand that Socialismo is good for ‘em.

Barry, thankfully, knows better.

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 4:03 PM

He’s way overplaying his hand on TV appearences. His handlers obviously think his golden tongue can overcome any obstacle, but he’s getting pretty stale from overexposure. But, that’s O.K.

a capella on July 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM

You obviously haven’t seen this yet…

landshark on July 15, 2009 at 4:03 PM

so the capital operator phones are jammed. must be all those folks calling demanding health insurance /sarc

gatorboy on July 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM

a capella on July 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Just that Zelaya and Chavez have written off the “negotiations” in Costa Rica and that Zelaya yesterday called for “rebellion” to install him. That’s where it stands until Saturday when Zelaya said he would meet Arias for more “negotiations” for the last time. Whatever happens count on some level of violence coming. Its the safe bet.

We need a thread from Allah or Ed on this beforehand….

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Shockingly racist. Worse even than “niggardly”.

Oh please. Stop niggling.

RadClown on July 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM

where’s he get this american people are on board crap from?

SHARPTOOTH on July 15, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I simply do not have the intestinal fortitude to click on the video and watch that POS. Please, in the future, just give us transcripts.

To read the news cost you the price of internet, to see his face as his hand is ignored again and again by a line of men shaking the hand of the russian president, who is walking behind him, is priceless.

If the Republican had the gonads to show that clip in an Ad, it would speak for itself. I would love to hear the liberal socialist try and spin that one.

Franklyn on July 15, 2009 at 4:09 PM

BuckeyeSam on July 15, 2009 at 4:03 PM

That Driehaus anecdote is interesting. Why would he need “validation” if he voted for something that was popular? They are feeling the heat. That’s why the democrats are worried. Time to redouble the efforts to keep the heat on especially those bluedogs.

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 4:10 PM

a capella on July 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM

You obviously haven’t seen this yet…

landshark on July 15, 2009 at 4:03 PM

LOL..that’s not too far off. Some people will loot if the wind is coming out of the east.

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Anyone who counts on this White House and this Congress improving ANYTHING, is a complete idiot, I’m sorry.

The whole lot of ‘em couldn’t properly run a lemonade stand on Constitutional Ave. on the fourth of July.

And there actually exist people stupid enough to want to let these clowns fiddle with our health care?

Worthless, corrupt and incompetent jackasses, every one of them. Congress, the White House, the people who elected them and the people who believe in them.

NoDonkey on July 15, 2009 at 4:13 PM

The problem with the ObamaCare proposal isn’t a lack of faith in Obama.

It isn’t? He’s the face of the government right now, and the problem with all government run programs is lack of faith in the government. I hate to say it, but I have no faith in the government, and that happens to be Obama right now.

ballz2wallz on July 15, 2009 at 4:13 PM

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I just noticed the ads this past weekend. He lives in an interesting district. I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t include Cincinnati, so he can’t count on ACORN help with blacks, but he the district does have some blacks. His problem is that the district includes a lot of people who are likely among those first to get let go and who work in the blue-collar capacities in this area.

The need to get a good GOP candidate and to get Palin, John Kasich (running for Governor), and Rob Portman (running for Senate) running through their to give that area some hope.

BuckeyeSam on July 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM

We’ll see who’s ‘bucking it up’ when national unemployment reaches 15% next year.

bloviator on July 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Buck up, my ass. I’m getting really tired of hearing this arrogant little punk lecture and talk down to us.

Looks like Dems are feeling the heat from their constituents who are livid over the carbon tax and health care bills that maybe the two horrible bills will be defeated.

Buck up, Barry. It could be worse. You could be up for impeachment.

petefrt on July 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Well well..it’s Rowdy Yates…does that make Biden…Wishbone?

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 4:25 PM

BuckeyeSam on July 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I’m going to be honest, this is my gut talking, but the way things are going right now, I don’t think they need to see the effects of cap and trade to throw this guy out. (as long as you don’t have a complete RINO or moron to challege) The pendulum has swung on the leftists. Having the (D) after your name is going to be toxic in 2010.

In 4 years they have made a mockery of the already pathetic Congress. They misread why the Republicans lost in 2006 and Obama has done nothing but polarize these right leaning districts to unimagined lengths. We need to keep up the agitation…call, call, call….

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 4:26 PM

BOHICA

commenter on July 15, 2009 at 4:27 PM

BUCK UP from the PHUCK UP

SDarchitect on July 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM

The change is gone. Now it’s bucks.

djaymick on July 15, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I can’t stand to watch the video or hear The Won’s voice today, but is his hair turning green?

redwhiteblue on July 15, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Yippee-ki-yea….

cmsinaz on July 15, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Still laughing!

Clusterfarks of all buck up clusterfarks!

freeus on July 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Was this “buck up” comment supposed to be Mavericky? Just wondering. Why is it I keep seeing shades of “Brokeback Mountain”?

freeus on July 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM

freeus on July 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Hugo and Barry’s favorite film.

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

If he passes it, we’re all bucked.

Thunderstorm129 on July 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM

What he meant to say was “Bend over.”

MichelleO on July 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Socialist boondoggle being used to make health care decisons for your family…

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I’m hoping “buck up” becomes as strongly associated with the Barack Obama administration as “malaise” is with the Jimmy Carter administration.

In the meantime we can just call him “Buckup Obama.” :-D

Aitch748 on July 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM

“We gotta spread the misery.”

Akzed on July 15, 2009 at 5:41 PM

petefrt on July 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Exactly my sentiments. I’d love to hear from the elderly whose pension and retirement funds were invested in GM bonds, as to how they feel about having this little punk lecture them about “bucking up”.

And remember that he had the gall to tell all those people who worked for now defunct Chrysler dealerships that they were “sacrificing for the next generation”.

Buy Danish on July 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Spoken like a true Tyrant.

- The Cat

MirCat on July 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Buck up.

This isn’t a call to get to work, this is a man who feels that someone is pulling his short hairs. He appears to be getting frustrated and realizes that unless he makes the sale now the customer is going to bolt the store.

What is the matter, Barry? Americans aren’t suckers for every PT Barnum in the Oval Office?

Limerick on July 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM

petefrt on July 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Come on, man. Don’t you understand? Having a blk guy talk down to 225 million white folks is historic

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

the Americam people are on board–BHO

Lie of the day.

itsnotaboutme on July 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Before long he will have US ‘Bucked Up Beyond All Recognition’

Waldoni on July 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM

“buck up”

Is that anything like paying taxes is your patriotic duty?

For some reason, they seem to be coming from the same place…

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Well, all I can say is I’m tired of the “do as I say, not as I do” buck coming out of this administration.

Pomme143 on July 16, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Why do we need to buck up? Slobama is buckin up eveything in sight.

widge8 on July 16, 2009 at 1:30 PM