Video: Baseball-loving president nostalgic for, um, “Cominskey Field”

posted at 3:30 pm on July 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart. Of the two Chicago stadiums, I’ve always preferred Wringley Park. But to each his own.

In fairness, The One’s worldview was shaped by someone whose name ended in -insky so you can see why he might have slipped. Exit question: Will the media now start referring to Comiskey Park as “Cominskey Field” to cover for him? Hmmm.

Update: Jim Treacher reminds me that Barry O’s also a big fan of the “Nittaly Lions.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The president has shown a knack for flubbing facts, etc. regarding American cultural items. While we are indeed goofing on him, I for one find it unnerving and I’m only half kidding when I say that he has been programmed.

baldilocks on July 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I’m totally with ya. A lot of small things are adding up (or not adding up in this case).

SouthernGent on July 15, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Typo on the teleprompter, what a shame.

lavell12 on July 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I took the suggestion of someone here and read the WND article: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=104044

How can this NOT be a story? I’m not into conspiracy theories, but….whiskey tango foxtrot?

bridgetown on July 15, 2009 at 5:13 PM

White wine at Wrigley? That’s a Clintonian Lie – it’s a little white lie that doesn’t mean anything, but he’s completely full of shit. Gentrified?! Wrigley Field is a notorious piss-farm.

The bathrooms are 100 years old, they use trough-style urinals down in the bowels of this old barnyard. The bleacher seats are benches. There are thousands of obstructed views – just like the old Comiskey Park – up in the upper grandstand.

Jaibones on July 15, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Hey Jaibones…

Like how that little suckhole Costas tried to bail him out?

LtE126 on July 15, 2009 at 5:20 PM

He just can’t quite fake being an American, can he?

Akzed on July 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM

As an Iowa-born Chicago bred Chicagoan(suburbs) I bring you this.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM

A lot of Cubes fans come up from Wriggeley to Mueller Park when they play the Bruers. It’s only a 90 mile drive.

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM

yep, they driver up I ninety-fir.

jbh45 on July 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Jaibones:
I always root against St. Louis-except when they’re playing the Sox.
Go. Cubs.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Which Sox? The White Sox of Chicago or the Red Sox of Hahvid…er, Boston, at Finland Park? /sarc

Steve Z on July 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM

In a way, the Red Sox’ home will be “Finland Park” on New Year’s Day 2010, as on that date the Boston Bruins will play an NHL game there against the Flyers. No, I am not making this up.

Del Dolemonte on July 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM

He just can’t quite fake being an American, can he?

Akzed on July 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM

He tries hard, though. Well … kind of hard. Well … he kind of tries …

Nevermind.

progressoverpeace on July 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM

LtE126… Costas tried to bail him out?

My thought exactly – a la George S. throwing out the quick “Muslim/Christian” lifeline.

smith1776 on July 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM

There is such an uncomfortableness about him. It reminds me of……

Mittens.

Sapwolf on July 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM

bridgetown on July 15, 2009 at 5:13 PM

AP is hoping that if he intentionally lags behind the news curve on certain stories the NYT will lavish more praise on HA for being The One ahead of the curve in a way the NYT approves of. Funny how things work in the dying news business, isn’t it?

No, it’s probably more that AP doesn’t understand how military men think. He’s assumes this is a one-time thing and it will blow over when no one else steps forward to uphold their oath to defend the Constitution. He doesn’t want to put up a serious post which would cause beta male friends to snicker and tease him and he doesn’t want to go full-Kos and mock a military officer like this guy who’s sacrificing his career for a Constitutional principle.

It’s a classic Catch 22 for AP. Can he use his clever ways to put up the perfect half-mocking reluctantly serious throwaway post?

econavenger on July 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM

The NHL has been doing this for a few years at different venues. Two years ago it was in Buffalo. Last year was at Wrigley Field (Chicago) and next year its in Boston. They are a lot of fun to watch.

jbh45 on July 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I’m willing to bet whatever money I have left that Bush had better grades at Yale and Harvard Business than this AA clown did at Columbia and Harvard Law.

Bevan on July 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM

“He’s full of shit. You didn’t get vertigo in the old park…He’s never been in the old ballpark.”

Bingo! When the new park (locally known as New Comiskey prior until the deal with US Cellular in 1993)was built there were many complaints about the upper deck.

“Seats in the front row of the upper deck are farther from home plate than those in the last row at old Comiskey.”

“The infamous upper deck. This aisle terminates
29 rows up towards the clouds above New Comiskey’s
playing field. Even those who don’t suffer vertigo are
left unsettled by the steep incline of the seats.”\

“The top-half of twenty-nine rows pitched on a 35 percent incline, these seats are higher than the loftiest of pop flys, many of them rising higher than the fair poles that stand between them and homeplate.”

People did not complain about vertigo in the upper deck at the old stadium. It is clear that Obama is “remembering” the complaints about the New Comiskey that, as the cites suggest, were very prevalent prior to the attempted remake of the upper deck during the 2004 renovations. I doubt seriously that Obama was ever at the old park. Anyone who ever sat in the upper deck of both parks would never make such a mistake. That is the trouble when you make shit up based on what you heard. Because you have no actual memories it is very easy to conflate the stories.

jimboslice on July 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Jaibones:
I always root against St. Louis-except when they’re playing the Sox.
Go. Cubs.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Don’t even get me talking about the Cubs. God will NEVER let them win the World Series. NEVER.

I need to dig up old threads from Strat Fan Forum to illustrate the point.

Sapwolf on July 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Just remember the Democratic motto… “If you say it enough, it becomes TRUE!”

CynicalOptimist on July 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM

That Bush, always screwing up the names of things.

Seixon on July 15, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I swear I don’t think this guy was raised in the US. Too many little mistakes like this for one of the elites.

I think he was in a pod somewhere in outer space.

eaglesdontflock on July 15, 2009 at 5:55 PM

So many trivial things a Manchurian Candidate must remember, he’s bound to slip up occasionally.

infidel4life on July 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM

econavenger on July 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Yep. And also, Hotair needs room for truly important stories, like MegaMac calling Joe The Plumber a dumba$$ in TNR. Who could live without that important information? That’s the kind of stuff I come to Hotair for – some chunky moron who has no business with any public voice, at all, using a rag known for making sh!t up and printing it as fact, calling a guy who knew more about the idiot messiah than her father, a dumba$$. Great stuff!

progressoverpeace on July 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Like how that little suckhole Costas tried to bail him out?

LtE126 on July 15, 2009 at 5:20 PM

That’s hilarious that you commented, Lt. It was the first thing I saw in the video. Obama blows it, and Costas fixes it, slick as snot. I wondered if he would have bailed out W…

Jaibones on July 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM

annoyinglittletwerp – I have to admit, sort of like Obambi, I don’t hate the Sox. They’re my #2 team. I only hate them during the City Series, and I root for them a lot.

But my heart gets broken on the north side every year since 1970. And don’t even ask about 1984.

Jaibones on July 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM

SouthernGent on July 15, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Yeah, there’s an old movie, “The Manchurian Candidate” which keeps coming to mind.

Theophile on July 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM

True American culture is anathema to BOZO. But the reminds me of when Clinton visited Monticello (If memory serves) and asked the curator “who are these guys?” (there’s a video of this btw) Clinton was referring to the busts of early presidents.

Bozo would likely have the same question. Hey Bozo, what happened in baseball in the year 1919? C’mon! you gotta know that one without the TOTUS…

dogsoldier on July 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM

ChickaBOOMer: Cominskey Field of Dreams?

StewartIII on July 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Okay sometimes people used to say Cominskey Park instead of Commiskey Park. It was like saying Soldiers Field instead of Soldier Field. People said that even though they knew it was wrong. Mostly the type of people that would say “I seen” instead of “I saw” would say Cominsky Park, real blue collar “Sowt Side” types. To be a Chicagoan you had to know it was Commiskey Park but you could call it Comminsky in the right accent to prove your Bridgeport Bona Fides, even if your family moved to the suburbs with the white flight. That is how it was in the 70s and 80s. I went to a lot of games there too, in the old park when they had astroturf on the infield and grass in the outfield, even though I was a Cubs fan.

NO ONE EVER SAID OR WOULD SAY COMMISKEY FIELD. EVER. An embarrassment on par with the reset button, the dvds, or “profits to earnings ratio.” Disgraceful.

Ted Torgerson on July 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I was at a legal seminar last week.

A very eminent D.C. lawyer repeatedly referred to Judge Alex Kozinski of the 9th Circuit as “Cominskey.”

Or maybe it was “Kominskey.”

NCC on July 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Theophile on July 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I keep remembering the same movie.

Not the newer movie, the old Sinatra movie:

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

He claims to be a Sox fan, but you just know he loves to secretly go to Doublemint Stadium for a Cubs match.

Grafted on July 15, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I am beginning to seriously doubt this man’s research team.

You know, the guys too busy with WoW to vet staff nominees?

Pomme143 on July 16, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Got it confused with “Alinsky”.

ChrisB on July 16, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I concur though, Wrigley is much cooler and Cominsky is in a pretty lousy neighborhood: Obama’s.

JammieWearingFool on July 15, 2009 at 3:39 PM

ROFL!

-Dave

Dave R. on July 16, 2009 at 11:03 AM

As a Met fan, I miss Shays Stadium.

RadClown on July 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM

He’s wise beyond his ears.

Thunderstorm129 on July 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM

As a Met fan, I miss Shays Stadium

Shea stadium was a dump.

moc23 on July 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM

The American president miscombobulated the name of an historic ballpark. He also went out and threw like a wuss.

I thought he was the king of cool??? At least, that’s what I heard on the news…. could someone have been wrong…?

ted c on July 16, 2009 at 11:48 AM

The Austrian translation of Comisky Park?

dthorny on July 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM

ted c on July 16, 2009 at 11:48 AM

He spent too much time on his bowling career.

dthorny on July 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM

No no no. Y’all don’t understand the way things now work. Look at how he operates everything else, energy, health, etc.

Cominskey Field is what it should be called.

curved space on July 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Shea stadium was a dump

But it was our dump. The dump of my youth. The dump of dreams.

RadClown on July 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Like I’ve long been saying, cocaine use fries the brain cells.

Lourdes on July 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Reminds me of a WWII movie (I forget which one) where a german posing as an American is exposed b/c he didn’t know something about Babe Ruth.

Lou Budvis on July 16, 2009 at 7:14 PM

So film clips show Obama getting a photo-op with the Say-Hey Kid. I think if I could get a picture made with one of the greatest players ever, right after demonstrating that I was lousy, I wouldn’t be photographed doing what I always do too much of–talk.

Would it really hurt to be slightly humble and give Willie Freakin Mays the opportunity to seen giving the President some pointers?

If he can’t learn baseball from Willie Mays, is he capable of shutting up and learning anything from anybody?

rwenger43 on July 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Not only is his pronunciation of the name of the old park incorrect but his description of it is wrong as well. In the interview he’s telling Costas about the steep upper deck in the old park and refers to the “nosebleed section.” The reality is that Old Comiskey did not have a steep upper deck – the new park does. In fact the gentler pitch to the old upper deck accounted for the obstructed view seats that were on the lower level. Anyone who was ever in the old park would know that. I doubt he ever was.
Has this character ever been honest about anything besides his unquenchable ambition?

Skull on July 16, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Why hasn’t Letterman resumed the nightly “Great Moments in Presidential Speeches? It’s not for want of material.

EconomicNeocon on July 17, 2009 at 10:35 AM