Oh my: Obama drops nine points overall, 15 points among indies, in one month

posted at 7:00 pm on July 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

Net approval: Down 15 points since June. Net who say they’d vote to reelect The One rather than vote for someone else: A measly +3, down 13 points. Number who say they’re confident the stimulus will turn the economy around: 39 percent, also down 13 points. And the number who say the country’s “seriously off on the wrong track”: 55 percent, up 13 points.

Surely this trend is a function of miserable unemployment numbers, bound to reverse itself instantly once the economy starts cranking out jobs again, right? Hmmm:

In the context of decreasing levels of confidence in the current stimulus package, coupled with discussion about the viability of another one, the Poll shows very little support for a proposal for another stimulus package, with only 36% saying they would support such a proposal and 52% saying they would oppose it, with 40% saying they would strongly oppose it.

At the same time, it is clear that concerns over the prospect of greater deficits trump concerns over economic recovery. When given the choice, voters would prefer a slower economic recovery that incurs smaller deficits than a quicker economic recovery with greater deficits. Specifically, 71% of voters say they would choose a slower economic recovery with a lower deficit, compared with 23% of voters who say they would prefer a quicker recovery with a higher deficit.

Just what Barry wants to hear as he prepares to drop a trillion-dollar health-care bomb on America, and all the more reason to believe that Karl’s right in speculating that The One will take whatever health-care bill he can get in order to get something passed fast. This is his signature domestic policy issue; he can’t trash it just because people are starting to sweat about spending. The only option is to ram it through as far in advance of the midterms as possible and then pray that the recovery starts by next summer. No wonder they’re in a hurry.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

As soon as GM gins up production on what ever piece of $hit golf cart Obama wants, I believe they will cause gas prices to go up to 4 dollars a gallon through taxes and further restrictions on domestic exploration and refining.

And further more….hey look, a kitty….

BigWyo on July 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Remember, the four corners. Every successful operation has four corners upon which it relies for survival. For the USA:

1. Manufacturing and production
2. Banking and Finance
3. Housing and Infrastructure
4. Healthcare

Has O’blah blah not already taken over these industries? If he has not already taken them over, is he in process?

Got it yet? # 4 is the most important part of the equation. If it can take our health and well being, we’re through. Cap and trade goes with #1 on the list.

Fight.

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

And further more….hey look, a kitty….

BigWyo on July 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM

that fish hook is only there as long as you can pay to keep it there. As we are seeing now with SS and medicare two dem fish hooks when the money dries up there are problems big problems. with the way of the federal budget any new helthcare reform will not be like Social security or medicare. It will not take decades to fail it will take years. And americians will place the blmae squarely where it is due at the socialist democrates and socialism will never raise its head in america for another 100 years.

unseen on July 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

>_>

Yakko77 on July 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Geeze oh petes, now that I think of it, it seems that it has taken over each of the four corners in perfect succession; although # 1 and #2 could be exchanged. Regardless, the delivery of our fate and potential demise remains the same.

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

MEMO TO HOTAIR STAFF: I KNOW WE’RE CAPITALISTS AND ALL, BUT CAN WE LOSE THE AD IN THE SIDEBAR SUPPORTING THE CARD CHECK BILL?!

CP on July 15, 2009 at 8:28 PM

I hate to mess with internet etiquette, and bump my own comment, but I am really interested in the opinion of others on my theory:

Sadly, even if he looks like shiite by 2012, does anyone really think we can reverse the damage he’s caused, and EVER return our country to what it once was?

This is a legitimate fear I have. But I’m always curious when you bring this up, Allahpundit… You don’t really believe it would be a “real” recovery, do you? It would be the result of hundreds of billions of borrowed/printed money being spit out. Do you agree?

In fact, I’m beginning to believe that this is the reason we’ve barely spent any of the stimulus. If we spent it all now, the bogus “recover” might be recognized for what it is by 2012, but if he holds out long enough, he can make a FAKE boost to the economy at the right time to make him look good.

Anyone else think I’m on to something?

RightWinged on July 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

RightWinged on July 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Oh my: Obama drops nine points overall, 15 points among indies, in one month

As if Obama cares what his numbers are. He is working his plan to change America and he does not care what the people think — He Won, remember. And by the time it comes for elections — elections, what elections?

johnsteele on July 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Obama is showing his true color which is green. Not even his race card will get him out of this!

bluegrass on July 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM

If Obama and the Democrats really, really care about uninsured Americans, they would slow down and carefuly write a bill – a bipartisan bill- that seeks to benefit ALL Americans.

Why the rush to pass health care??

Could it be because the healthcare industry is the nation’s largest employer? Accounts for nearly 18% of GDP!

This is about control. Control for Obama & Democrats; loss of control for millions of Americans as our Doctor to Patient relationship.

They can’t even create/save jobs with a $800 Billion stimulus; How do you expect them to manange healthcare?

TN Mom on July 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

RightWinged on July 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I agree whole heartedly. We have passed the point of no return. The degree of corruption (by both parties) and power brokering has almost attained an accepted status.

And as for the polls. It is about to get uglier. We have not seen how really dirty this administration is capable of being. As thier back get closer and closer to the wall their tactics will get meaner and meaner.

HoustonRight on July 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

This fact in the poll needs more attention:

Who would you vote for now:

Obama 42% (46)

someone else 39% (30)

technopeasant on July 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I’ll say it again. He doesn’t care. He’s not in this for the long haul. And, with a Democratically controlled House and Senate he will not need more than 4 years to accomplish his socialistic goals.

watson007 on July 15, 2009 at 8:49 PM

The One cares naught for poll numbers, because he knows two things: a) ACORN will never find another candidate; and 2) vote fraud charges will never be brought to bear while he is in charge.

I fear we had exactly one chance to save our democracy, and the nation was too busy volunteering for a baritone-induced frontal labotomy to see the truth coming at ‘em. The GOP “should” pick up seats in 2010, but the next general election will still be all Obama, all the time–brought to you mostly through the use of intimidation and the absentee ballot system. (And let’s not forget the 35-40% of the country that would vote for him even if he barbecued that little puppy of theirs for the 4th of July)

And as soon as Obama gets another solid vote on his side of the SC, watch the left mount a legal challenge to the 22nd amendment.

johnny alpha on July 15, 2009 at 8:51 PM

When does the “He’s a traitor” option get added to these polls?

progressoverpeace on July 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM

When does the “He’s a traitor” option get added to these polls?

progressoverpeace on July 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I would imagine that there is some colorful language from the angry people they are calling. If they called me, I would cut loose.

sherry on July 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM

RightWinged on July 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

RightWinged on July 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Right, don’t fear. That’s about all I can say as my jaw stands agape at what is happening in six short months. Just be ready to fight. Don’t show your hand or any hands too soon. Be smart. Protect what you have built and what is yours to to keep and share what the Lord lays upon your heart to share, and not a bit (or tittle) more. Rely upon your knowledge and strength from the lessons taught to you in your youth from your parents. Be Prepared.

By no means ever be afraid. Fear is for the weak. Welfare is for the weak. Keep the hands close to the chest, your cards close to your heart and fight if you must.

If you are forced to fight, then fight you will, with vigor, valor, glory and might.

Mark these words, but more than this: Hold the Word of the Lord Your God close to your heart. Trust that He will hold you and your family in good stead, in safety, in prosperity, in truthfulness, and in love.

Do not falter. Do not fail. Fight.

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Do not falter. Do not fail. Fight.

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Start fighting now dammit.

2010 is next year.

Chaz706 on July 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I think Obama’s forgien policy enabled people to understand his domestic policy more fully.
unseen on July 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM

That is an awesome point. Never even saw it from that angle, but for sure, it’s easier to get a clearer picture when you put it all together (economic and foreign policies). Kudos for the insight.

See, this is why I love the peeps at Hot Air. Witty and Intelligent you people are. :) You guys would make a fine date. ;) (lol).

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Do not falter. Do not fail. Fight.

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I totally agree with ALL of that. 100%. I guess I’m just more curious about whether folks agree with my theory on “why” the stimulus (borrowed/fake) money is being spent so slowly.

RightWinged on July 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Medicinal words. Great post.

HoustonRight on July 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Start fighting now dammit.

2010 is next year.

Chaz706 on July 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Who is Patient? Who is Kind?
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Be patient. Be viligant. Fight.

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM

So the polls are looking even worse… that means we can expect the Obama Campaign to ramp up its attacks on the Bush Administration even more?

malclave on July 15, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I betting more attacks on Sarah Palin

CCRWM on July 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I betting more attacks on Sarah Palin

CCRWM on July 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Don’t be silly. They attack those that shine light. We walked in twighlight with GWB; first when the attacks of islam assailed us and we stood together. Then, the question of whether we did the right thing by going into the Middle East.

Might I remind you that Russia failed in the ME, and Russia bowed to the USA under Ronaldus Magnimus? How quickly we forget!

Stand firm. Stand strong. Stand for Liberty. For God sakes or “geeze oh petes” wake up.

This is the destiny of the USA. We are in peril, yet we go with the flow.. This is not the Patriots that have fought and died for freedom. The spirit of Regan is NOT dead. It never died. It will die, if we let it.

The period of “politics” has become a noose around the neck of American Citizens.

I take this noose from my neck, I throw it down on the ground and I stomp upon it. I will not allow my grandfathers’ blood (fought on two coasts) to run dry in the streets of my America.

I will fight. I will fight. I will fight.

We see this bullshit laid upon our heads, and not upon our feet. If bullshit was bullshit, it’d be dumped on our feet, not upon our heads.

Fight.

Stand up, for Heaven’s sake. For the sake of our Forefathersm for the sake of our Veterans, for the sake of the survival of our Country, good God, Stand up and FIGHT.

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM

can you imagine how bad he’d be doing if the msm covered the news honestly!?!?!?

reliapundit on July 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM

WSJ is reporting Treasury is saying U.S. has lost $2.3 BILLION of TARP to CIT. Excrement meet fan.

“Buck up!”

Fail baby FAIL!!!!!!

freeus on July 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Do you copy and paste various lines from your favorite literature onto a single post, or is all this going on in your head at the same time?

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM

I think we might well be able to reverse some of the damage. After all the government is as slow as pond water. Even if he passed some health care abomination, it might well take so long to get anything in place that it could be dismantled. I hope so anyway. I work for a home health care agency and there is real fear about what this bill will mean to the business. If Obama gets his way, I might be one of the unemployed myself.

Terrye on July 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM

blatantblue on July 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

BB are you out on the Island? Here in Outer Bloombergia (Queens) it’s next to impossible to get a permit. I downloaded the application (12 pages!) for a NYC Rifle/Shotgun permit and balked – fingerprinting ($100 or so fee), application fee ($140), plus all the restrictions on transporting it and no ranges to get to. Plus, it’s on a “may-issue” basis as opposed to a “shall-issue” basis (NYPD gets to decide if I can have one).

Any thoughts? Any NYC residents who know of 2nd Amendment lawyers or someone I could talk to? The firm I work for is a huge Dem outfit and so there’s no way I’m asking around there for help.

Fallen Sparrow on July 15, 2009 at 9:34 PM

freeus on July 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM

CIT = ????

Enlighten me, please. Ugh, wait a minute. CIT better not be CITI Group. Well…at least it’s not BOfA. My intense dislike of BOfA runs DEEP. *Mad*

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Gee whiz, couldn’t they have found a few more sweaty, warty-faced people for their healthcare ad?

What an odd marketing choice: using repulsive-looking people to shill for a controversial program that most people don’t want.

Kensington on July 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Right Winged:

I just finished Amity Shlaes’ book the Forgotten Man and in it she talked about the recession inside the Depression. It came in the late 30′s when the down side of the government programs hit the economy. It was a good book and a different look at the Depression. She said that banking reforms did help, but a lot of the other things the government did hurt as much as helped. The war was the catalyst that ended the Depression because it changed the world.

So, I think that if the government pumps a lot of money into the economy it can help for awhile, but for every action there is a reaction.

Terrye on July 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Wow…don’t know what to say about all that…

My husband and I are moe than willing to fight for this country and for our children’s future. We need a plan…

CCRWM on July 15, 2009 at 9:59 PM

It’s Howdy Doody time!

MaiDee on July 15, 2009 at 7:03 PM

One of our family friends worked on the Howdy Doody Show-nice person, but total airhead when it comes to politics.

Del Dolemonte on July 15, 2009 at 10:03 PM

What Obama and crew know is that they have to pass Cap and Trade, Health Care and whatever else they want within the first 18 months. The probabilities suggest that they will lose substantial seats in the House and a few in the Senate in the 2010 election. That is the general historical record.

Having said that they also know that if they can pass this legislation, no matter how flawed, it will never be rescinded. Amended yes, but canceled never. That also is the general historical record of major legislation.

This is their goal, a goal that has been helped by several Repubs who have voted for these bills along the way. Having the MSM as cheer leaders could be the deciding factor.

patrick neid on July 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Say there, Soros, you wouldn’t be short on the US dollar again, would ya, pal?

And, oh, by the way, sorry your Boy Barry isn’t working all that well.

George, I hear you’re a good rip it down kind of guy, but on the build it up part, no so much.

You will have earned your place in history, George. Nice work.

shaken on July 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM

CCRWM on July 15, 2009 at 9:59 PM

We do not need a plan… We need an ideal: we need to understand that we are at war. We need to understand the difference between strategy (methods to attain a single goal) and tactics (methods to fight a war).

We must lose “WE” and become “I”. The world surely depends on the effort of the individual… and I’m full-on.

Best regards to you and your family…
I’m with you.

Let’s Roll.

roscopico on July 15, 2009 at 10:34 PM

New PPP poll here in NC shows him at 49%…being propped up by a whopping 91% approval from blacks. Take away that 25% of the voters and it’s more like 39%-ish

SouthernGent on July 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Seriously, does no one agree with my theory about “stimulus” spending?

RightWinged on July 15, 2009 at 10:39 PM

kick him while he’s down!

Purge the RINO, welcome in the disaffected indie and Dem.

Have confidence that we win on the issues, that he is living in a house of cards, built by the MSM, and we the people can knock it down and expose the fraud.

Go. Fight. Win.

The world is open! Go get it!

thebrokenrattle on July 15, 2009 at 10:56 PM

O.k. I’ll solve this problem right now using OBAMACARE® logic:
1) Woman who has kid with cerebal palsy: Should have aborted it.
2) Old dude: He’s old, euthanize him.
3) Girl who’s insurance company sucked: Sure thing you can get healthcare that covers you when ill. Just don’t mind the 12 hour ER wait line.
4) Dude with father with a limp: He can get a hip replacement, he just needs to join the waiting list. Say, is he old? If so that means he doesn’t really need it.
5) Woman who’s husband lost job and health insurance: That’s fine for a low 56% additional tax, we can make sure you and your husband get all the healthcare you want.

Problems.solved.

Rightwingguy on July 15, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Peaceful disobedience.

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM
thats kinda scary..you may want a glock stuffed in the back of your pants, just in case…

right4life on July 15, 2009 at 7:33 PM

ROFLMAO…”I got your peaceful disobedience right here…”

ddrintn on July 15, 2009 at 11:02 PM

And there was much rejoicing.

…Maybe people should have thought about that before electing a rockstar to the highest position in the land. Sheesh.
Still good news though.

OneGyT on July 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM

SouthernGent on July 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Evidently, blacks think the Carpathia is showing up within an hour or two. Either that, or they’re intent on going down with the O-tannic.

BuckeyeSam on July 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM

You have to pay taxes to care about deficits. Otherwise it may as will be a gazillion trillion dollars — not your problem.

Ronnie on July 16, 2009 at 12:07 AM

may as well

Ronnie on July 16, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

And if you’re atheist: Good luck! :-)

Rightwingguy on July 16, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Good. Fail, Obama, FAIL!

redwhiteblue on July 16, 2009 at 1:28 AM

Key West Reader on July 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I copied this down to refer to later for strength.

Alana on July 16, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Okay, so what about Obama’s economic recovery?

We have slow to no economic recovery with HUGE deficits.

How does that one rate in the polls?

DSchoen on July 16, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Seriously, does no one agree with my theory about “stimulus” spending?

RightWinged on July 15, 2009 at 10:39 PM

We were warned that much of the spending would necessarily take place in 2010. So, yes, I agree with your theory – but, it’s as much due to incompetence as by design. Anyway, it’s a moot point.

zeebeach on July 16, 2009 at 6:38 AM

BuckeyeSam on July 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM

ROFL! Thanks for giving me a good laugh to start the day.

CALL YOUR CONGRESSCRITTERS AND SENATORS!!! Melt the phone lines. Get your family members to call, too.

Join or organize a “visit” to your representative’s district office and/or attend a Tea Party.

Write a letter to the editor; post comments on the paper’s website, if they have one. Call in to radio talk shows. Let the media know that there’s concrete resistance to what The One and his Chitown stooges are trying to get past us.

These activities are the only things that keep me from going off the deep end these days. Plus reading HA. :-)

Lurking Vet on July 16, 2009 at 8:18 AM

P.S. I agree: what a lame ad this is.

Lurking Vet on July 16, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I want a bumper sticker that says, “Don’t blame me! I voted for Palin and the old guy!”

ClydeS on July 16, 2009 at 9:10 AM

H/T Instapundit: Obamacare bans private medical insurance.

“Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day” of the year the legislation becomes law.

Get the word out, I think this alone will be enough to torpedo Obamacare.

LarryD on July 16, 2009 at 9:18 AM

They must be weighting this wrong.

Vashta.Nerada on July 16, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Well, I’ve been doing the emergency preparedness bit. Getting the essentials in which includes some very precious metals.

Copper.
Tin.
Lead.

I am getting out of the land between, all grey. I may not be in the land of the living for long, but I will uphold my word, as given in the Preamble. I am one of The People.

ajacksonian on July 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Pollster.com averages all polls and has Oneterma even lower:

Approval: 54%
Disapproal: 40%

Rasmussen and The Economist polls are both near 50% approval.

ChrisB on July 16, 2009 at 10:40 AM

In the UK its hard to get a ‘feel’ for how America sees Obama. He seems a nice guy to me, but a little weak on leadership – I was deeply disappointed at how many pork projects went into the stimulus bill. It made me think that America does not really understand how precarious its position is at the moment with China looking to take over as Superpower Number One.

Also, he does a little of TV appearances but doesn’t really seem to do much time selling the stimulus. I’m not sure if its working or not, or even what his timeframe is for recovery. And whilst I agree that America needs a national healthcare system (I know its unpopular, but don’t worry, I don’t get a vote) I’m really not sure you should be introducing that in a recession. Right or wrong, its destabilising.

So is Obama overall faily popular in the US? Has he met the challenges he set out to? Is he a bad leader, or a good one, in your opinion?

Just testing the waters …

dcpolwarth on July 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM

To whom would the Liberals pray exactly? Isn’t their Messiah busy enough? Maybe they can just HOPE for some more radical transformations?

Babyhugger on July 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Dear dcpolwarth,
To answer your question…he sucks!

Babyhugger on July 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Why doesn’t everyone just come out and say it:

Obama and his backers are paying off (or trying to) every senator and representative in the U.S. Congress in order to get their agenda and bills made into law.

Look at it. It is nothing more than old fashioned Chicago politics with a socialist/communist flair.

In other words our government is nothing more than a bunch of crooked thugs dressed up to look like respectable people.

Talk about evil zombies, tack on corrupt, power hungry and stupid to that and add a touch of traitor for good measure.

They are just what our Founders warned us against.

I admit that some of them can’t be dressed up enough to hide what they are. I won’t bother naming them, everyone here knows who they are, and they should be made to pay.

This transgression against our Republic has gone far enough, I suggest that everyone get ready to pick where they stand and how far they will go to protect our land.

Your vote is not going to get it,
it will be as bad or worse than Iran’s elections. It was almost that bad this last election. Did you notice that even though charges have been filed in a few cases, that investigations have been undertaken, not much of anything has actually been done about blatant voter registration fraud and out right criminal behavior.

Think the Black Panther intimidation was anything bad? Wait until the next election.

Think about it, ponder it until you know. Your decision will have to be made, sooner or later.

Papa Ray