Huckabee to Palin: Don’t quit the party

posted at 6:00 pm on July 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

A curious bit at the tail end of an otherwise complimentary segment on the ‘Cuda from last night’s Greta. Says Huck, “I’m a little concerned when I hear her say that she may sort of branch out and go third party or go independent.” I wasn’t aware that she’d ever said that, only that she’d be willing to campaign for Democrats if they’re sufficiently conservative. (Reception thus far: Lukewarm to chilly.) My read on Huck is that he’s always working an angle so I assume he interjected the third-party stuff here to plant a seed of doubt in viewers’ minds about her commitment to the GOP. Fair enough, but from a strategic standpoint, he’s much better off if she goes her own way. Granted, a third-party Palin candidacy in 2012 would probably ruin Republicans’ chances, but a Palin candidacy for the nomination would absolutely ruin Huckabee’s. He’d bleed evangelical support and lose his ability to position himself as the “conservative choice” head-to-head with Romney. His best hope (if she runs) is that she skips the primaries and goes independent, leaving Huck to play the “a vote for Palin is a vote for Obama” card on the conservative base in a three-way race for the presidency.

Speaking of Huck and Palin, Greg Pollowitz pushes back against my post from yesterday and says there is indeed a path to the nomination for Iron Mike. In a nutshell, he’d have to win Iowa, then leverage Christian votes to take South Carolina, which in turn would propel him to victory over Romney in Florida and unstoppable momentum everywhere else. Really, though? Even in states that usually don’t matter in the Republican primary, like California and Massachusetts? The more I think about a two-man Huckabee/Romney race, the more I think it has the potential to be a 50-state campaign a la Obama/Hillary, which could pay nice political dividends for the GOP given its identity these days as an exclusively southern party. How sweet — and galvanizing for state parties — would it be if Republicans in New York, say, or a few other big blues finally had a role in picking the next nominee?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I haven’t heard her say anything about a third party. Why would anyone think that’d work? “Hey, let’s start a party smaller than the Republicans and take over!”

Akzed on July 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM

How about someonw who hasn’t run for President yet?

I don’t know who, but Huckabee is the best we could get?

catmman on July 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM

a Palin candidacy for the nomination would absolutely ruin Huckabee’s.

Quoted so that people absolutely know Allahpundit’s true thoughts on the matter. Anything else is just tweaking the readers (which AP’s already admitted this week that he enjoys).

Snowed In on July 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Huck can’t you just go away.

upinak on July 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Snowed In on July 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Allah and Tweeking in the same sentence. I bet he is doing more then that!

upinak on July 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Palin already has extensive background with the Libertarian Party of Alaska. They were much supportive of her 2006 campaign for Governor, and she was quite complementary of the Libertarians; even attending a couple of their meetings in Anchorage.

But here’s the jist: The Libertarian Party is basicaly the GOP in the extreme. So, saying she’s going “3rd party,” just means she’s going to the hardcore version of Republicans.

ericdondero on July 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

O/T: YEAH! She flew! Life back to normal for a while.

spacewife on July 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Who the *$#& cares what Huck says. $*#( Huck!

HornetSting on July 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Classic Huck.

“I heard that Sarah Palin stopped beating her children with wire hangers. Thats great news. I admire that woman.”

portlandon on July 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

O/T: YEAH! She flew! Life back to normal for a while.

spacewife on July 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Congrats. didn’t they scrub the mission like 5 or 6 times?

portlandon on July 15, 2009 at 6:10 PM

O/T: YEAH! She flew! Life back to normal for a while.

spacewife on July 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Crossed my fingers and my eyes, still hold my breath at throttle up command. My hubby and I still get chills when we watch her fly.

HornetSting on July 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Yeah, and? What else would they be except my true thoughts?

Are you suggesting that I’m some kind of secret Huck booster who criticizes Palin to help him out? I urge you to trawl our archives for my posts about him. Rest assured, the self-styled “Christian leader” is not this atheist’s first choice.

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM

If its ever Huck vs. Palin in S.C. Palin wins easy.

Amadeus on July 15, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Allah, being that you are a atheist-ish type guy. How do you vote when there happens to be a religous (even if they do not preach it) person?

Just curious. And I don’t think it is too personal a question.

upinak on July 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I can’t stand Huckabee.

ORconservative on July 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM

upinak on July 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM

So palin isn’t running?

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM

So palin isn’t running?

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Andrew Sullivan is that you?

upinak on July 15, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM

As I said, you do enjoying tweaking the readers with the Huck=frontrunner headlines. That’s all.

Man, everyone’s touchy today.

Snowed In on July 15, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Sarah can command a LEGION of votes, and lead a coalition of conservative voters to demand changes in the GOP, or else. She doesn’t need to run for anything, she’s already got the power. Yes, Huck does need to go away.

davecatbone on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

6th try; 3rd with them in the seat.

spacewife on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

All political candidates in America are religious. It’s a fact of life. If I refused to vote for religious people, I’d never vote. What bugs me about Huck isn’t that he’s religious, it’s that he’s demagogic about it. Palin is vastly better about that sort of thing.

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

O/T: YEAH! She flew! Life back to normal for a while.

spacewife on July 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Sixth times a charm!!

catlady on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

With the right 3rd party candidate it’s equally possible that this would actually go the other way, “a vote for the Republican is a vote Democrats”, which is true in more ways than one.

FloatingRock on July 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM

What the hell??

He never had that option to begin with – look at his pardon record! Nobody who’s that much of squish on justice gets to claim the “more conservative” mantle with any sort of credibility. Add in his nanny state tendencies and I’m sorry, there ain’t no way. It’s IN HIS RECORD.

Most of us aren’t so bamboozled by rhetoric and charisma that we can’t see that.

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

The nanny state crap and the pardons don’t bug you?

TheUnrepentantGeek on July 15, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Huck would just love SP to go third party. The only reason I hope she don’t is so she can knock Huck out of the race.

fourdeucer on July 15, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

So what do you think Palin is doing?

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:19 PM

6th try; 3rd with them in the seat.

spacewife on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

what’s bad is watching them sitting there even after the mission is scrubbed, until someone gets them out!

catlady on July 15, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Stood on my backporch, beautiful sight each time, though there were clouds here to the south, watched her in and out for a bit. It is always exciting for me to hear the delayed roar/tumble of liftoff.

spacewife on July 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Well Said

Amadeus on July 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Allah.. I am glad you do not put most people who have some type of religon on the line. Thanks for the honest answer!

upinak on July 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Is it the bling bling?

Those confused commenters have no clue as to the opportunities that await Palin — because few understand the extraordinary, multi-billion-dollar marketplace that has developed for movement conservatives.

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Huck bugs the heck out of me and after reading the other topic on him, I finally hit on why.
I absolutely can not stand Dr. Laura for the same reason. They strike me as do as I say not as I do principled people. In other words, principled in rhetoric only. Or like a recovering addict of any kind who all of a sudden has no sympathy for other addicts. Just do the right thing or I’ll make you do the right thing. That attitude, it makes me sick.

ORconservative on July 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Huckabee in a primary race against Palin and Romney? He wouldn’t even be a blip on the radar screen.

I wonder if he feels disappointed about Palin’s meteoric rise to prominence with what, in his mind, should be his base.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:26 PM

upinak on July 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Why are u so mean to me?

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Why are u so mean to me?

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Because you’re a troll?

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I can’t even stand to watch his show. Just check in at the end to see if I like the music.

spacewife on July 15, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Huckahu Akbahr working the airwaves. Can I just say, he is like the snake that puts the “snake” in snake-oil salesman.

He was so classy after Palin made her announcement of resignation. SARC!

I look at Huckaschmuck as I looked at McCain; I would vote for anyone other than the Huckster. And after the nasty behavior down here in the South regarding Romney; I would not count on Evangelicals, or the South, breaking for Huckahu. Many of us find him guilty, or partially guilty for giving us McCain in the first place, AND for those of us who are Evangelicals, and who campaigned for Romney, we know there are many more Evangelicals which would like to make amends with the Romney camp. Lots of mea culpa down in Dixie.

To those who believe the Huckster can win this based on his tax plan, you are smoking whacky weed. There is enough evidence in Arkansas which indicates Mike left that state in not so good shape, and that he favors socialism in a populists manner which makes most Conservative’s skin crawl. The entire illegal/amnesty sanctuary ideology will not aid him either. And then there is all the other skeletons you can bet the Obama camp will dig up, and put out there for ALL to see!

freeus on July 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Why are u so mean to me?

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Because you keep trying to babysit for the Palin family.

portlandon on July 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Palin would do well to not take political advice from Hickabee.

Vic on July 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

freeus on July 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

We’re also Evangelical. We voted for McCain to keep Huckabee from winning Missouri. (Fred was already out.)

I will say, though, that I have serious doubts about Romney’s electability. Right or wrong, likability matters. Huck is charismatic and plays well to the populist crowd.

But my money’s on Palin.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Palin would do well to not take political advice from Hickabee pretty much any MSM pundit who has offered it in the past six months.

Fixed.

Snowed In on July 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM

TimeTraveler,

There are plenty of folks here who have issues with Palin, and they voice them.

You, on the other hand, under the pretense of concern about her and her family, make her out to be the sort of white trash who should be on Springer, not in politics.

Why you want her to disappear so badly, I don’t know, but your duplicity is annoying.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

The more I think about a two-man Huckabee/Romney race, the more I think it has the potential to be a 50-state campaign a la Obama/Hillary, about committing hara kiri

fify

james23 on July 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

portlandon on July 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

So I am a troll that likes Palin?

I just don’t like what bristol did to her mother last year.

That’s all… I adore Palin and I wish her the best.

PS: I am not religious at all.

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I have to say I cannot agree with some of my friends — perhaps including some of you here tonight — who have answered that question by saying this nation needs a new political party.

I respect that view and I know that those who have reached it have done so after long hours of study. But I believe that political success of the principles we believe in can best be achieved in the Republican Party. I believe the Republican Party can hold and should provide the political mechanism through which the goals of the majority of Americans can be achieved. For one thing, the biggest single grouping of conservatives is to be found in that party. It makes more sense to build on that grouping than to break it up and start over. Rather than a third party, we can have a new first party made up of people who share our principles. I have said before that if a formal change in name proves desirable, then so be it. But tonight, for purpose of discussion, I’m going to refer to it simply as the New Republican Party. -Ronald Reagan (February 6, 1977)

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Palin is vastly better….

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

+10

james23 on July 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

And there you have it: Palin’s daughter appears once again in a thread that has nothing to do with her.

You have to ask why upinak is ‘mean’ to you?

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Somehow I doubt we’ll see “SECOND LOOK AT HUCK!” from you in 2012 :-)

BTW, I’m back from exile.

steveegg on July 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Basic Math: if Palin confronts Romney and Huck-a-Chuckles in South Carolina, she will annihilate them both. It will be embarrassing. She’ll go retail and rip Mitt’s hairpiece right off him. Huckabee will be left to using old Chuck Norris ads.

It won’t even be close. She’ll get more votes than the two of them combined.

victor82 on July 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Fine I’ll stop, I just wanted Allah’s opinion on what he thinks Palin will be doingz…nextz

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I’m beginning to warm to a third party.

The Republican brand is tarnished, perhaps permanently. In some minds, it’s synonymous with racism and mean-spirited, selfish rich people. And Republicans are all over the map on the issues–no coherent ideology or platform.

The GOP was a third party once.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM

BTW, is Andrew Sullivan a registered HA member?

Just checking, ’cause we could ask him if Sarah and Michael Vick have been abusing the beagles. He’s really, I mean really wierd about Sarah lately.

Maybe there’s a Palin birth cirtificate scandal somewhere.

victor82 on July 15, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Huckabee will be left to using old Chuck Norris ads.

victor82 on July 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Old Chuck Norris ads might be all he has. I doubt Norris would endorse him again with Palin in the game.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM

I just don’t like what bristol did to her mother last year.

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Concerned troll.

the_nile on July 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM

BTW, is Andrew Sullivan a registered HA member?

victor82 on July 15, 2009 at 6:44 PM

He goes by TimeTraveler here.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Short version of my take on Palin.

The Palin Equation:

{Palin} Republican+[very] Conservative+High Popularity [w/conservative Americans (party affiliation not so important…) = Very Nervous Not So Conservative CC Republicans & VERY NERVOUS Donks Stuck In The Same Boat With VERY Progressive Eco-fascists and Other Such Statists.

The ‘Inside-The-Beltway Critters’ are getting nervous.

My advice to Palin: don’t go cheap on your security detail.

CPT. Charles on July 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM

ericdondero on July 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

You forgot the juiciest part — that one of the meetings was at a Denny’s, and she had apple pie for dessert.

unclesmrgol on July 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Let’s be realistic here..Ron Paul is the frontrunner for the GOP nomination in 2012.

He is our best chance of winning back the presidency.

Yes Huckabee does have charisma,likeability and great debating skills, but Ron Paul is the most likely candidate to woo disenchanted democraps,independents and the youth vote which Obama got in huge numbers last time.

MaximusConfessor on July 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I haven’t heard her say anything about a third party.
Akzed on July 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I also haven’t heard her say anything about running for office. I think her sights are directly on Obama’s administration and policies, with 2010 in mind, at this point, then a GOP pruning party. I’ll give her credit for knowing where she can do the most good, and I hope she realizes that doesn’t include running for office in the near future. Patience.

a capella on July 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I post the Reagan quote because for those of us who consider him to be “The ONE” (for the Conservatives); not even HE believed in splitting up the party and starting a “new” one. It makes absolutely NO sense to do something that idiotic and why people continue to push this nonsense is beyond me. Starting a “third” party only serves to completely split the Conservative/GOP “family” and ENSURE that what we stand for remains the ‘minority’ for only God knows how long. Build on the foundation that’s ALREADY THERE instead of whining about life and moving across town (figuratively speaking).

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Reagan:

Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?

joey24007 on July 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM

I hate that nutjob, dont’t compare me to that weird thing.

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM

joey24007 on July 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM

What’s Palin doing next joey?

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Talk about a 3rd party is hateful and bogus. We’ll end up with King Obama the 1st for sure that way. If Sarah really cares she will be sure to avoid that kind of talk.
In any event, let’s focus on throwing the bums out in 2010. That’s a bi-partisan goal I can support wholeheartedly!
/wink

Metanis on July 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM

portlandon on July 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

So I am a troll that likes Palin?

I just don’t like what bristol did to her mother last year.

That’s all… I adore Palin and I wish her the best.

PS: I am not religious at all.

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Bristol didn’t do anything to her mother. Bristol had a child.

PS: Cars have steering wheels.

portlandon on July 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM

He is our best chance of winning back the presidency.

The rEVOLution’s REVO, Max.

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM

I’m beginning to warm to a third party.

The GOP was a third party once.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM

So that requires a change in leadership-not a change of party. Once again, I’ll use the analogy of a company. If a Fortune 500 company is doing poorly (low profits, poor moral, etc), you don’t tear apart the company and build a new one. No. You fire the poor managers who are responsible for its downfall and you hire new ones; individuals that will get the job done. Same thing has to happen now.

A Political Party is formed to uphold certain philosophies…not people. If you’re disappointed with the PEOPLE who have represented our philosophies, then say THEY need to go. But the Republican party itself, doesn’t need to “go”.

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Dear Former Governor Mike Huckabee,

You screwed up your political career after the sound defeat you suffered in 2008 by not persuing the U.S. Senate seat in Arkansas. You were advised to seek that seat by your political constituents & advisors but you held out for something different and later opted for a TV show on Fox. Your influence of the GOP is nominal to irrelevet now do to your short sightedness and selfish ends. You could have helped the country from the U.S. senate but what you demonstrated was that celebrity mentality and appears that big money was more important to you than the higher calling of the U.S. senate. You might have been able to prevent some if not all of the errors being made in the current U.S. senate. You could have been a key player in the big game but now you are a mere spectator in the grandstands giving color commentary on the game.

You haven’t change much from my first impression of you. You are still naive in some respects and are easily lead astray by the veterans that represent our SRM. A leader of this nation you are not. Conservatives will not accept another windsock candidate. I wish you well in your new found celebrity as a television talk show host. You are just one of the many pundits out there now, so you might as well get comfortable with it.

Sincerely,

Americannodash on July 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

That presupposes that there is a foundation to be built upon. There are elements of the national GOP “leadership” (cough…NRSC…cough) that seem to be more than happy to be nothing more than a not-so-effective “loyal opposition”, defering to the Democrats’ will on any given contentious issue, and sabotaging any effort to make them either more effective or the party in power.

Is that the “foundation” you want to build on?

steveegg on July 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I certainly hope what you suggest can be accomplished.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I hate to say this, but Huck is a great choice…compared to Obama.

dglenn on July 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM

MaximusConfessor on July 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I don’t see Ron Paul as a viable national candidate. Even Huckabee is taken more seriously than Ron Paul.

And there aren’t many isolationists these days.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I hate to say this, but Huck is a great choice…compared to Obama.

dglenn on July 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Who isn’t? Seriously.

steveegg on July 15, 2009 at 7:08 PM

tom to Huckabee, “Don’t start any right-wing assassin death squads.”

What do you mean, you weren’t planning to?

The whole premise of the quote is wrong, since Palin never said she was leaving the party. I don’t know if Huckabee is saying it because he’s really not paying attention, or because he wants to leave the impression that she’s thinking about it. But whether careless or malicious, he’s wrong.

tom on July 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I hate to say this, but Huck is a great choice…compared to Obama.

so is Bactrian Camel, what of it ?

runner on July 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM

steveegg on July 15, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Um…Ron Paul?

runner on July 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Just sayin’ that Huckster is the lesser of two evils.

dglenn on July 15, 2009 at 7:11 PM

dglenn on July 15, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Both are disingenuous off-the-rail types, but Paul gets farther down the track before derailing than Obama (who frankly begins off the rails).

steveegg on July 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Is that the “foundation” you want to build on?

steveegg on July 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM

No, not at all. The “foundation” I’m referring to are the principles that the party was founded upon (individual liberties, free enterprise, limited/small government, etc), not any person in the party.

Let me put it this way. If someone asks you, “What are you, a Republican or a Democrat?” And you say, “I’m a Republican.” And they ask, WHY-you don’t say you’re a Republican because so and so is a Republican (at least I’m hoping no one says that)…you say you’re a Republican because you believe in lower taxes, small government, individual freedom and responsibility, etc, etc. The PRINCIPLES are the “foundation”, not any politician, or group of politicians.

Is the Republican party in trouble? Sure. Because it’s PEOPLE have failed to live up to the PRINCIPLES of the party. And the people’s failure shouldn’t equate to the principles being wrong. As I previously stated, get rid of the people, not the philosophy/principles (aka…the Party) themselves.

Inbesides, Palin hasn’t even said anything about a third party-but let’s pretend she did. What’s going to be the philosophy of her party? “Smaller government, lower taxes, energy independence, protection for the unborn, etc.” Hummmmm….that sounds suspiciously like some OTHER Party we all know. A party that starts with an “R”. The only thing that would ‘change’ is the LEADERSHIP. So, hey, here’s an idea. How about we change the existing leadership in an already established political mechanism…and move forward with that. Sounds like a plan to me.

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 7:21 PM

This might be better posted in the “Mike Huckabee is the frontrunning GOP contender” thread, but I think that thread already ran its course.

Mike Huckabee’s rather dubious education history will land him scorns from the MSM and the elitists. I remember one crack about why Huckabee will never be the President: Ouachita Baptist University.

He attended graduate school in Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas, and dropped out after one year.

It is probably not considered inconsequential to him: he did not referred to his educational background in his own biography in the Mike Huckabee PAC website.

Granted: Ronald Reagan attended Eureka College, and Harry Truman never really attended college, and they were among the best Presidents in history. But look at how the MSM made fun of Palin’s college career.

bayview on July 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Huck-a-phony trying to define his competition while wondering from the outside what is her strategery, nothing more.

exdeadhead on July 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I’m evangelical and strongly social conservative. I recoiled from Huckabee because he was a populist demogogue. Ironically — at least to those fiscal cons always whining about social cons having too big a role in politics — it was his economic demagoguery that I picked up on first. A candidate who tries to sell himself as someone “on your side,” protecting you against scary Big Oil and Big Insurance, etc., is the kind of politician who should be kept far away from the levers of power.

tom on July 15, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Two things:

1. I love it when Kevin Spacey (Huckabee) almost calls Russia the USSR

2. I love it when Allahpundit comes down to join the rest of us plebeians here in the threads.

:]

bluelightbrigade on July 15, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I certainly hope what you suggest can be accomplished.

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Oh, but it can!!! :)

Check me out….

In that last Gallop poll, they said 40% of Americans (in general) were “Conservative” in their political ideologies. If you break that number into the 3 parties (“R”, “D”, and “I”) you get 73% of Repubs who identify themselves and Conservatives; and 45% of Independents and 40% of Democrats identifying themselves in the same manner. So, you now have this situation where you have huge portion of the American population already pre-disposed to thinking in terms of lower taxes, smaller government, individual freedoms, etc, etc.

What needs to happen now is that a REPUBLICAN (my head and heart are 100% behind Palin to do this) needs to say to all of those ‘Conservatives’….COME HERE! WE are the party that can best represent your views, vocalize your concerns, and move in a manner you want (in terms of implementing policy they believe in). THE REPUBLICAN PARTY is the platform that you already agree with-we represent a philosophy that you already hold. So, COME HERE.

Reagan, I believe, created a “big tent” not because he pandered to anyone, or because he gave up his views. It was because he pointed out to the people that OUR party was the only one that could best represent them. It was because he brought out the fact that all these people already believe what the Repub party believes…and he invited them in.

We’re in the same situation now. And it’s going to take a leader *cough* Palin *cough* to invite all these ‘Conservatives’ in. There is strength in numbers and the more numbers we can get, the stronger our party can arise and ‘represent’. Division is not the answer. I truly believe a “Kingdom divided will not stand,” and because I completely believe that, I’m completely AGAINST dividing this party and starting a ‘third’. There’s no need, and it weakens our cause in the end.

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Spot on.

I haven’t heard Palin even so much as hint at joining or starting a third party or even going independent. Seems that it’s mostly those who have the most to gain if she would such as the Communists and RINOs like Huckabee.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I keep hearing really bad things are happening in Massachussetts with that medical care provision Romney established. Even though I voted for him in the primary last year, I think this is really going to hurt him if he runs again. You all talk as though our choices are already set in stone between Palin, Huck and Romney. Guys, it’s a couple of years from now; a lot can happen between now and then!!

Special K on July 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Not that I’m buying any of this but here’s a scenario for y’all to ponder. Palin campaign’s in 2012 as a 3rd party candidate, garners enough support to have both the Democrats and Republicans running scared. Just prior to the election, scandal breaks out with the Republican candidate, forcing a withdrawal from the campaign. Now, who are all the Republican voters gonna vote for? The Democrat?

glennbo on July 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Palin is vastly better about that sort of thing.

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

THUD!!!!!!

Sorry, that was me falling out of my chair, for a second there I thought Allah said something complimentary about Palin. ;-)

Hog Wild on July 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Now, who are all the Republican voters gonna vote for? The Democrat?

glennbo on July 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM

A bunch of em’ did last November and Johnny was still in the race.

BacaDog on July 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM

A bunch of em’ did last November and Johnny was still in the race.

BacaDog on July 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM

If by Johnny, you mean McCain,Johnny wouldn’t have been any better than Obama. Actually, he probably would’ve been more harmful in that he would have totally destroyed what little is left of the Republican party with his liberal agenda. At least Obama unites us against him. And Obama is reminding the country just how bad Democrats are for the country.

Special K on July 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM

jazz_piano on July 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Gotcha on voting McCain to stop Huckaschmuck. I was a Fred Head before I had to migrate to Romney. All I am saying is that all this chatter about Huckaphony taking South Carolina, or all of the South is just bunk. And just because he won Iowa the first go round does not mean he can repeat it.

Not thinking he has all this voter populous appeal people here thing Huck will have. That whole Gomer Pyle deal is only going to last so long, and then it will just be annoying.

I am mixed on Romney. I would rather see Palin win this, but that is conditional on a few issues for me. I wonder if the regular voter will see Romney as having more gravitas in appearance when going against Obama? Just a thought. Not saying Palin would not, but just trying to look at this from a whacky voter view.

The first thing the RNC has to do is CLOSE THE PRIMARIES or we will have the nominee preselected again.

As to this third party chatter, this is all cooked up from the Paulbots. Hearing the exact same thing at another Conservative hangout from a known Paulbot.

freeus on July 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Why beg to keep Palin. The party was embarrassed by her, and embarrassed by her supporters. The people that supported her were regular fly over country people that the east & west coast elites hate. We wouldn’t be welcome at your country clubs, but our “meager” checks to GOP headquarters are always welcome.
When Palin was verbally destroyed by the DEMS and their paid goons, the MSM, where was the RNC? It did NOTHING about it. You abandoned Palin, now she, if she’s smart, should abandon the GOP too. Time for a 3rd Party. The GOP are now the Whigs.

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Sarah never hinted she was going 3rd party. She never left the Republican party, although the RINOS in the party would like her to go away. She has the power to return the party to it’s CONSERVATIVE roots and she has my support!

hpk1942 on July 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Get your Cuda fix for today. She’ll be a dynamite POTUS and eventually will have even Allah blurtin out a ‘ubetcha’ here and there.

Come and get it.

Sapwolf on July 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I keep hearing people saying that we must fix the GOP. Why?, It doesn’t want to be fixed. It wants to be another elitist party of RINOs & Moderates, kissing DEM butt, happy to play the loser #2 role again.
Just what kind of great people do you get if you stick with the GOP?
A bunch of loser re-treads to run in ’12 and a bunch of spineless wussies to try and pick up a few miserable seats in ’10.
Pathetic.

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Huckabee to Palin: Don’t quit the party.

Palin to Huckabee: Quit the party.

coldwarrior on July 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM

A overlooked stat today:

who would you vote for now?

Obama 42% (46)

someone else 39% (30)

Diageo/The Hotline poll

technopeasant on July 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Stick to pickin’ and grinnin’, Huck. Hold on to that day job at Fox cause you couldn’t even beat McLame last time around.

Kissmygrits on July 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Kissmygrits on July 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM

LOL…Maybe Hee Haw can make a come back.

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 9:46 PM

So what do you think Palin is doing?

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Being good at her job.
Irritating you into being a fool.

massrighty on July 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM