Good news: Sotomayor confuses “eminent” with “imminent” — twice

posted at 7:30 pm on July 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

Excruciating to watch, and apparently not her only malaprop of the day. According to Ed Whelan, she confused “providence” with “province” and said “story of knowledge” when she meant “store of knowledge,” too. If the boss routinely made embarrassing mistakes like this on her blog, it’d be a running joke among the nutroots; as it is, the fact that a federal appellate judge turned Supreme Court justice is making them at a congressional hearing will doubtless go blissfully unremarked upon. Although to be fair, she only ever claimed to be wise, not to have the vocabulary of, say, the average 10th-grader. Awesome, awesome pick, Barry.

Anyway. Doubtless we’ll soon be told that it’s racist somehow to even mention this, so I preemptively denounce both myself and Whelan for noticing it.

Update: For added nuance, bear in mind that Sotomayor herself is famously a stickler for proper usage in lawyer’s briefs, once writing, “each time I see a split infinitive, an inconsistent tense structure or the unnecessary use of the passive voice, I blister.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hey Sarah Palin couldn’t even name a Supreme Court case other than Roe v Wade. But the dregs LOVE her. Go figure.

simplesimon on July 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I just read Iowahawk’s latest.

“A Wise Latina Will Add Spice to the Menudo of Justice”

Laughed till I cried as usual!!!

dddave on July 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Doesn’t matter. She will be confirmed and the Reps heads are gonna explode. Man, I love this country.

dcwvu on July 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

How many Sotomayors does it take to change a light bulb?

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM

None. She’ll just lie and say it’s not dark. And the Republicans won’t challenge her on it.

Daggett on July 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Daggett on July 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM

She’d probably say something like “It is better to ignite one candle than curse in the dark.”

coldwarrior on July 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Hey Sarah Palin couldn’t even name a Supreme Court case other than Roe v Wade.

simplesimon on July 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM

And nobody’s asked Sotomayor which newspapers she reads. Wonder if she follows her hometown paper, the Newark Times?

Jim Treacher on July 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Despite my being a wise white woman, I sometimes use “affect” when I should use “effect.” But then, I’m not a shoo-in for the Supreme Court.

CarolynM on July 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM

dcwvu on July 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Actually, I want her to be confirmed, and in a hurry, before the Dems realize Obama nominated another mediocre nonentity( much like the rest of his team)

Any Obama nominee will be voting straight line along the lefty ideology line anyway, so bring on this not too smart follower, another product of Affirmative Action. I rather have someone totally out of her league than getting a left winged version of John Roberts.

bayview on July 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I denounce us all as racists. Who are we to criticize this wise Latina woman. I mean she was certified to be so by the independent Wise Latino/a Man/Woman Council.

Rightwingguy on July 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Rightwingguy on July 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM

and she is “better” than us!

jwp1964 on July 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Nope, you’re not racist for saying she can’t understand terms….

But it seems liberal idiots think Coburn is racist for telling Sotomayor she’d have a lot of explaining to do.

Enoxo on July 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM

SO now we are on grammar, what’s the verdict on saying “Latina woman”. Since there is a difference between Latino and Latina based on gender, isn’t it stupid to say Latina woman when you are basically reconfirming that the subject is in fact female?

Rightwingguy on July 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Hey Sarah Palin couldn’t even name a Supreme Court case other than Roe v Wade.

simplesimon on July 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM

So that makes Sotomayor’s misuse of the words any less wrong?

Would you grow up

CWforFreedom on July 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM

dcwvu on July 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

1. No heads are going to explode as Reps are realists
2, You don’t love this country that is obvious.
3. Go ahead you can laugh at O’s jeans . It is ok…seriously.

CWforFreedom on July 15, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Hey Sarah Palin couldn’t even name a Supreme Court case other than Roe v Wade.

simplesimon on July 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I’ll bet Sotomayor can’t either, until a clerk looks it up for her. LOL

dcwvu on July 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

“Explode”? ROFL Boy, talk about being ignorant of the opposition…

ddrintn on July 15, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Heather Mac Donald, who knows a thing or two about grammar, wrote about “Sotomayors Prose Style” at The Corner a month or so ago.

CarolynM on July 15, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Sotomayor: definitely Third-Tier.

winfield on July 15, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Do you expect more from the guy who was not going to “hoist” democracy on foreign countries?

flytier on July 15, 2009 at 10:55 PM

flytier on July 15, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Or even support one in his own back yard!

jwp1964 on July 15, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Judge Sotomayor: here you go. Take your pick. These are just a sampling of the online sources to get the eminent-imminent distinction straight.

For good measure, consider purchasing the upcoming release of Garner’s Modern American Usage (3d ed.).

You might also consider Garner’s Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage (2d ed. 1995).

BTW:

Usage gurus uniformly encourage splitting infinitives when it sounds smoother.

BuckeyeSam on July 15, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Suggestion for Sotomayor: purchase a copy of the upcoming usage dictionary, Garner’s Modern American Usage (2d ed. 2009)

Also, the proscription against splitting infinitives is a considered a myth by virtually all modern usage gurus.

BuckeyeSam on July 15, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Rightwingguy on July 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM

No. A female of Hispanic heritage could also be a Latina girl, or Latina junior, or or Latina petite, or Latina missus. By specifying “woman,” she was specifying the size of her clothing. (Apparently one must also be 14+ to properly practice jurisprudence.)
/facetiousness

hicsuget on July 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM

simplesimon on July 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Well, I love the Dregs. Steve Morse is amazing.

Daggett on July 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM

federal appellate judge turned Supreme Court justice

Allah, she’s not yet a Supreme Court justice.

terryannonline on July 15, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Allah, she’s not yet a Supreme Court justice.

terryannonline on July 15, 2009 at 11:57 PM

But it’s eminent. I’d rather think that she’s at least smart, but now I’ll settle for knowing Scalia will probably make her cry.

exception on July 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM

I raised a question about Sotomayor’s command of English yesterday at Ace. Every time I see a languag problem, truly bad things are close by. It seems that her mistakes were just beginning then.

Is she starting to crack, or is she really this poorly educated? How could she make it through college?

Are any of the lawyers that have litigated in front of her speaking out about her mistakes? Are these mistakes new or has she always been like this? Surely a wise Latina would find a way to avoid mistakes such as these.

Perhaps we are learning, only now, just what a Harvard Law education really is worth.

Arbalest on July 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Arbalest on July 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM

The whole thing about Harvard is getting in, whether it is through merits, connections (Ted Kennedy, GWB ), attending the right prep schools, or affirmative action. Once you are in, you have to work to fail or even get a grade of B.

bayview on July 16, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Allahpundit on July 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I didn’t go over the transcripts for 2 reasons.
1. The enormous amount of time required to do so would far outweigh the benefit of proving you wrong.
2. Errors might not even show up on transcripts anyway. Will “eminent” be transcribed as “eminent” for Sotomayor?

But still, I do vaguely recall John Roberts misstating the oath of office to Barack Obama. Kinda makes these stumbles look inconsequential in comparison.

crr6 on July 16, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Considering that she can’t pronounce the word SUPREME, I can’t say that this one surprises me that much.
Watch her, she says Supreen Court every single time.

JeffinOrlando on July 16, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Arbalest on July 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM

If you want to hear bad grammar, just watch the evening news.

Johan Klaus on July 16, 2009 at 1:30 AM

First female Hispanic SCOTUS nominee introduces Senators to Latonics.

Maquis on July 16, 2009 at 1:35 AM

This could never happen with national bilingualism!

James on July 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Outstanding!

exception on July 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM

The way the courts are ruling today “eminent domain” may cause “imminent” danger to property rights

Johan Klaus on July 16, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Sometimes I get confused alot by Eminem and M&Ms. I’m Supreme Court nominee material. Except for the ‘wise’ part. And the ‘Latina’ part. Accept for that.

Tom_OC on July 16, 2009 at 3:55 AM

English isn´t my first language so it should be safe for me to say that Sotomoyor is not very bright.

This fits the pattern. Obama is said to be smart, an “intellectual”, and yet his appointments range from mediocre to bad. Obama clearly likes to surround himself with flawed, weak or downright unethical characters, as long as they are ideologically reliable.

el gordo on July 16, 2009 at 5:53 AM

Tom_OC on July 16, 2009 at 3:55 AM

LOL

Jeff from WI on July 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM

This could never happen with national bilingualism!

James on July 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM

English & Ebonics?

Jeff from WI on July 16, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Not a big deal. No Joe Biden gaffe awards for her.

RobCon on July 16, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Gov Palin is not a judge. Why would she follow the Supreme’s case decisions? However, Sotomayor is a judge who “supposedly” studied case law. Dems want this mental giant on the court, I got to ask why? What is in it for them? I know Sotomayor is aware of at least one 5-4 ruling that took place recently.

generouse on July 16, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I’m beginning to wonder how good these Ivy League colleges really are.

Hope on July 16, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Doesn’t matter.

dcwvu on July 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Heh. I can’t think of a more perfect metaphor for liberalism. It “doesn’t matter” that the Judge you are pushing for SCOTUS is illiterate; she’s the right color and gender.

The bigotry of low expectations is a party platform for the Democrats.

Jaibones on July 16, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I’m beginning to wonder how good these Ivy League colleges really are.

Hope on July 16, 2009 at 8:20 AM

She’s a Latina. What self-respecting Ivy League professor could criticize her language use, in good conscience?

Jaibones on July 16, 2009 at 8:25 AM

crr6 on July 16, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Nice try, putz.

Jaibones on July 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Nitwits like crrvix will forever be left with two images that remind them of their own weakness, dishonesty, and incompetence:

John Roberts, with a patient smile, leading the Senate Democrats around by the nose like old cows in the pasture. Their benevolent intellectual master.

Lindsay Graham, with a patient smile, leading Sotomayor around by the nose like an old Latina cow in the pature, carefully explaining that he knows she can’t admit that she’s a racist and a liar, and he understands. But he knows.

All your liberals are belong to us.

Jaibones on July 16, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I wouldn’t confirm her by any means but not based on this. I have the same issue with the words ‘pen’ and ‘pin’. They both sound the same to me and I pronounce them the same. If I wrote the words out, I’d certainly know the correct spelling for how I’m using them. I suspect she has the same problem. She knows the word she’s using and it may sound wrong to everyone else, but should she write the word, she’d use it correctly.

Monkeybrains220 on July 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM

dcwvu on July 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

You’re proud of that? That she will be confirmed based on her race and gender regardless of how many asinine mistakes she makes? It’s worth it to have some incompetent boob on the highest court in the land for the next twenty years to have the republicans’ heads explode? You’re embarrassing, I really hope you didn’t go to WVU.

hollygolightly on July 16, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Allah, she’s not yet a Supreme Court justice.

terryannonline on July 15, 2009 at 11:57 PM

exception on July 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM

I’m sure she will be an entirely imminent jurist.

brambo_42 on July 16, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Good news: Sotomayor confuses “eminent” with “imminent” — twice

Hey let’s give her a break. She is doing alright for someone who has English as a second language.

Uniblogger on July 16, 2009 at 9:35 AM

So she can add pedantic, inarticulate, hypocrite to her unimpressive resume. Yay.

RobertE on July 16, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I have come to believe that Ivy League Universities are for education of people with the IQ of house plants.

darktood on July 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I wish Bush had been given one tenth the tolerance Sotomayor has been given, when it comes to verbal miscues.

MarkTheGreat on July 16, 2009 at 10:51 AM

just how inept is she?
Is she like obama, proof that this is the result of affirmative action. You dont get the best , but instead you mediocrity at best.

This holds the old axiom “Birds of a feather” true.

ColdWarrior57 on July 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM

She is “ENGLISH as a SECOND LANGUAGE.
You can’t expect a Supreme Court Judge from a different culture who passes laws that will us all to get 100% right
all of the time….especially if English isn’t the Official Language… Where’s your empathy? Give her a break… The One has…

CynicalOptimist on July 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM

The lefty snarks are oddly quiet about her astounding misuse of the English language.

Quetzal on July 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I disagree. I am a NY lawyer and Soto is right. There’s a provision in NY law that deals with a threat of eminent death.

NY Penal Law Section 35.11:
§ 35.11 Justification; use of physical force; Eminent death:

A person may use deadly physical force upon another person in the event such person reasonably believes they or a third person are in threat of eminent or otherwise noteworthy death.

This provision is seldom used, but comes in handy when someone tries to kill you in a bizarre or otherwise noteworthy way.

;)

DailyDanet on July 16, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I bet she doesn’t confuse “immigrant” with “indigent”.

Funny how that works…..

omnipotent on July 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Maybe she was a stickler for proper usage, but not proper vocabulary words.

Does SCOTUS really need a Norm Crosby on board? I think not.

PoodleSkirt on July 16, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Where’s that “wise latina woman”?

TrickyDick on July 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Gee, maybe she just isn’t that bright. Several Liberal commenter have said she is “Third Tier” material.

Maybe we should believe them.

GunRunner on July 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM