CNN’s idea of Sotomayor coverage: Rick Sanchez interviews his mom

posted at 8:59 pm on July 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

Because she’s Latina, see? Ergo, she has something unique and newsworthy to contribute to the debate over our next Supreme Court justice. If I didn’t know better, I’d say this was exceptionally clever satire of Sotomayor-esque identity politics, with Sanchez grabbing the closest person at hand and dubbing them qualified to opine for no better reason than that they’re of the right gender and ethnicity. But no: He’s completely on the level, of course.

Or maybe he’s going for a “witty banter” vibe here a la Greg and Jackie Gutfeld? Damn “Red Eye” and its irresistible influence on the news!

Comments

Rick Sanchez came from a human? Shocka!

HornetSting on July 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Sanchez is leading the digging crew in CNN’s quest for absolute bottom…

d1carter on July 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM

his mama must be so proud of her baby boy……the murderer – how precious

Ris4victory on July 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM

My dog thinks Sotomayor is too ugly to sit on SCOTUS.

My goldfish is reserving judgement until he sees what her stance is on the 2nd Amendment.

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Hard hitting journalism, brought to you by CNN’s very own version of Al Franken. Seriously, does anyone even watch that network?

Bishop on July 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM

And her background in law?

No, not “in-law”…in the legal profession?

CNN…another desperate grasp for relevance.

coldwarrior on July 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Sanchez is a total douche-nozzle. I mean, he doesn’t say the stuff he does because he has to – he actually believes it!

Eff him!

J.J. Sefton on July 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

He should go interview the guys standing out in front of Home Depot.

Mark1971 on July 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

It’s like the White Man’s Last Stand editorial in the Times. Alan Colmes defended the racist language on the basis that minorities can say things about whites that whites can’t say about minorities. The double standard is acknowledged openly and affirmed as proper. In Sanchez’ world, if his mother has special knowledge about judge sotomayor because she’s latina, there’s no implication that a white mother has special knowledge about a white candidate–that would be racist, and a double standard, and ok. Sooner or later, we’ll just have to bi*ch slap all these people, or start enjoying being their bi*ches.

JiangxiDad on July 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Seriously, does anyone even watch that network?

Bishop on July 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Only if it’s posted here, and sometimes, like now, not even then. Sanchez is only worth watching when he’s getting punked out or showing what a hack he is. And this doesn’t qualify.

Chrissy Matthews already breached this low in journalism with his daughter during the campaign.

Hog Wild on July 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM

You have GOT TO BE F*CKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blatantblue on July 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM

My cat would love to have your goldfish over for dinner to discuss the 2nd Amendment.

HornetSting on July 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Seriously, does anyone even watch that network?

Bishop on July 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Millions watch. In airport departure lounges, doctor’s offices, STD clinics, drug rehabs.

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 9:12 PM

So, was his mom proud about Miguel Estrada?

She seemed “proud” of her because she came from nowhere… how about Clarence Thomas; proud of him, mom?

yogi41 on July 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM

HornetSting on July 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM

If your cat voted for Obama, you’re on.

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Rick Sanchez is a latino douche. “El doucho”

On a related note my favorite Rick Sanchez moment came when he was tasered on live TV.

The video was then diligently slowed up so his screams sounded like an amorous Chewbacca shouting mating calls. Comedy. Gold.

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Sadly, the Sanchez’s converse in a foreign language. I find it typical these folks do not have enough respect for this country to even speak its language.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on July 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM

HornetSting on July 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM

My dog would love to host them both.

txag92 on July 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM

What’s the special connection btwn a NYrican and Sanchez’ mother–probably Mexican? Wonder how she feels about Don Quixote?

JiangxiDad on July 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Jeffrey Smuzinick was unavailable for comment.

Kid from Brooklyn on July 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM

CNN’s idea of Sotomayor coverage: Rick Sanchez interviews his mom
viewer.

ThePrez on July 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM

damn, the strike went through the wrong word. strike mom, not viwer.

ThePrez on July 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM

No way this was satire. Rick Sanchez isn’t that clever.

kozmocostello on July 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I saw this earlier today flipping channels…I laughed and when back to Fox.

Emily M. on July 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM

He should go interview the guys standing out in front of Home Depot.

Mark1971 on July 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Hey, that’s Biden’s hangout..remember?

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I spit on Rick Sanchez. *Hawks up a loggie, spits it at him*

LiquidH2O on July 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM

HornetSting on July 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM
If your cat voted for Obama, you’re on.

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 9:14 PM

My cat is currently being groomed to replace obama when he gets impeached….you see, while watching his umpteenth primetime news conference, I mentioned that my cat, who had been licking her butt for the past hour would make a better president than obama…..well, here at HA, she is currently next in line for the presidency. I have her down to licking her butt for only thirty minutes per day. We even have a bullet proof car for her….we just need more secret service protection to get her to Washington DC on 9/12 for the rally and inauguration.
So, if your GOLDFISH voted for obama, she would really love to have his support for 2012.

HornetSting on July 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on July 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM

There are all diff. reasons why people who belong to minority groups join the coalition of minorities that is the Dem party. But there’s at least one common thread, and that’s hatred of what has been the prevailing white heterosexual christian male power structure. So gays are united with latinos and jews and blacks and feminists, and muslims, etc. When/if they destroy the white christians, they’ll turn on each other. There’s no love lost between any of them. Sanchez and his kind are going for the kill. Better take care of them first.

JiangxiDad on July 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Is that the same Rick Sanchez that ran over and murdered a guy?
Why yes, I think it is.

TheSitRep on July 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Sadly, Guy William’s, the actor that played Zorro on TV reported his mother wouldn’t be available for Latina comment.
She’s dead.

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Serious question: does CNN provide Spanish sub-titles when Sanchez is on the air?

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM

“The Best Political Team on Television”

aquaviva on July 15, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Just wanted to give mom some air time. Seniors must contibute or fall victim to health care savings.

HoustonRight on July 15, 2009 at 9:23 PM

She’s dead.

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM

The Frito Bandito, sadly, is also unavailable for comment.

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Ugh…I took a few years off my life by watching the first minute or so.

Sanchez has a bunch of “Latina” women who he alludes are going to biotch up a storm about how they are treated when they walk into courtrooms; of course they all just happen to be legal professionals and they all just happen to have had episodes of what they consider demeaning treatment.

If dumbo Sanchez were to be any more transparent on his bias, he would be fade into the set.

Bishop on July 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM

She’s dead.

Jeff from WI on July 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM
The Frito Bandito, sadly, is also unavailable for comment.

guntotinglibertarian on July 15, 2009 at 9:24 PM

How about Speedy Gonzalez? Was he available for comment?

HornetSting on July 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Ah the Frito Bandito, wish I still had that erasur that came in the bag. Hell it would fetch $3.00 on ebay.

Alex Martinez on July 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Rick Sanchez is a dumbazz. The man is WHITE. Just because a person has a Spanish last name doesn’t make them non-white. Don’t people know anything about the Spanish and their colonization of the Americas? Geraldo is white too but to hear him talk you’d think he just crossed the Rio Grande after coming down from Tenochtitlan.

DerKrieger on July 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Not surprising coming from CNN, they interviewed Edie Falco about health care because she plays a nurse on television.

redridinghood on July 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Brown, its the new white.

Alex Martinez on July 15, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I’ve always enjoyed articles on Newsbusters on this Cuban Ted Baxter.
From what I’ve read he was basically the guy on the Miami local news who did the silly baby-alligator-in-the-toilet and weeping Virgin mary statues stories.
Then he went to CNN and people posted “Oh, are you guys going to love this guy”. All of a sudden he’s Bill O’Reilly with his list of “People Afraid of My Show” on his website with the VP Dick Cheney at the top. I would love to see the video of him being tasered.

Marcus on July 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Sanchez is from Hialeah? I can’t help it; whenever I think of that town, I think of two things. One is flamingos in the middle of a racetrack.

This is the other:

radjah shelduck on July 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Didn’t CNN also interview Martin Sheen back before the 2000 election because he played the POTUS on tv, just to get his take? I’m serious, I believe they did.

Bishop on July 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Ohhhhhhh Poncho.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Cisco.

How many of you remember?

fogw on July 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Marcus on July 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I was just looking on youtube but its not there…it has to exist somewhere…I saw it a few years ago and it is comedy gold.

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Why isn’t he in prison?

forest on July 15, 2009 at 9:34 PM

fogw like it was yesterday, man to be a kid again.

Alex Martinez on July 15, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Sanchez must have had an empathetic wise Latina judge when he drove drunk and killed someone.

Spunky06 on July 15, 2009 at 9:36 PM

It’s not advantageous anymore. If he is white, he loses victim status, preferential treatment in hiring, etc, and becomes an oppressor. Nah, white is out.

I have two relatives, went to their bar-mitzvahs years ago, named Gomez. They became “latino” and got into every college they applied to for free, doors opened non-stop. Finally, they were shamed into taking some Spanish classes. They’re still milking it to this day.

JiangxiDad on July 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Alex Martinez on July 15, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Hey my friend, we grew up in a great time, a much different world.

Lucky us.

fogw on July 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM

CNN’s Sanchez interviews his mommy!

Bahahahahahahaha!

TN Mom on July 15, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I guess she is wise, also, as she has a wise-ass for a son.

PattyJ on July 15, 2009 at 9:41 PM

“So mom if some drunk A-hole ran me over what would you want the judge to do?”

Caper29 on July 15, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Yes fogw, I often tell my wife who’s 17 years my junior. Their was even bullfighting on TV in Miami Fla. in the early sixtys. Rawhide, Rin Tin Tin, Micky Mouse club, man those days lol

Alex Martinez on July 15, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Don’t usually like Jon Stewart, but he does put Señor Ted Baxter in his place.

Marcus on July 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM

How well would a “serious” interview go over with the public if a Caucasian reporter asked the question, “How proud are you of nominee XYZ being white?”.

Does anyone else find the irony in the illegal alien pimping crowd the hispanic community rooting for a bunch of white guys to appoint a latina?

Anyone?

madmonkphotog on July 15, 2009 at 9:56 PM

McCain or Obama would have appointed an Hispanic woman to the Supreme Court. Now that we all know Obama’s appt is a racist idealogue, we’ll just go on about how inspirational this is from a civil rights standpoint. Kinda like when we elected the Marxist. It’s an effin zombie movie.

alliebobbitt on July 15, 2009 at 9:56 PM

found it! Rick Sanchez tasered sounds like Chewbacca

elduende on July 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I’ll ask my Irish father what he thinks about all this, videotape it, and send it to Rick Sanchez.

Rightwingguy on July 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM

BTW, I’ve never understood the whole Latino/Latina thing. I understand that it is a BROAD term to refer people hailing from Central and South America and all that, but what the heck is with the different spellings for gender? There’s no Caucasiano/Caucasiana, so why do they get to be so darned special?

Rightwingguy on July 15, 2009 at 10:21 PM

She’s also his designated driver.

Jim Treacher on July 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM

So wait? He asks his mom a question in Spanish, she responds IN SPANISH. He then says “Oh, so what you’re saying is ……” and she nods. So if she can understand English what’s with all the Espanol? She could be saying anything.

Rightwingguy on July 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Did he kill anyone on the road on his way over to Mamacita’s?

D2Boston on July 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

What is this “see-ehn-ehn” of which you speak?

bitsy on July 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM

D2Boston on July 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

That is not important. What matters is what Sarah Palin did last week. OMG guys! (/sarc)

Rightwingguy on July 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM

But how does she look in mom jeans?

alliebobbitt on July 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM

JiangxiDad on July 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I choose option #1. It has had limited effect on those being slapped, but it has reduced my stress levels.

phineas on July 15, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Then why does Obama denigrate the decisions of wise Latinas in Hounduras?

Techie on July 15, 2009 at 11:48 PM

er…….”Honduras”

Techie on July 15, 2009 at 11:48 PM

HMMMMM how long has she lived in the USA, and cannot speak English ???

That explains a lot about Rick Sanchez..

Every time I hear him I wanna ask him .. “kill anybody today”??

A douche from a douche..

dugbru on July 16, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Dang it that’s what I was thinking!

Is CNN now imitating “Red Eye”?

DSchoen on July 16, 2009 at 5:19 AM

DerKrieger on July 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM

So, my mother’s grandparents fled from Spain to Hungary right after the Inquisition. I guess that makes me Hispanic too. I should check off that box from now on on every official document I fill out and watch liberal heads explode.

J.J. Sefton on July 16, 2009 at 7:40 AM

Sanchez is scum

bill30097 on July 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM

never post a rick sanchez video AGAIN…..PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

jonnyshocko on July 16, 2009 at 8:14 AM

MAAR
Mother Against A**whole Reporters

RobCon on July 16, 2009 at 8:24 AM

All that matters is this: Did Mrs. Sanchez read Nancy Drew?

Buy Danish on July 16, 2009 at 9:03 AM

So that’s where Rick gets his thinning hair.

exit question: Do Rick and his mother share a hair plug doctor?

Packnic on July 16, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Yep, I’ll say… Sofrito journalism at its finest. (Or most virulent.)

RD on July 16, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Only because he has no clue who his dad is…

BigAnge on July 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM

What a clown.

marklmail on July 16, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Watching that idiot always makes me throw up a little…in my SOUL.

Maura O on July 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Must suck to kill a person while driving wasted and then flee the scene…Murderer.

goldwaterpunk on July 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM

ChickaBOOMer — CNN’s Rick Sanchez: Mother of Invention

StewartIII on July 16, 2009 at 6:24 PM

another chris matthews leg tingle

rjoco1 on July 16, 2009 at 7:31 PM