Jason Mattera responds to Think Progress

posted at 11:38 am on July 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, our friend Jason Mattera drew the ire of Think Progress and the Washington Independent for posting a “blatantly offensive message” about Sonia Sotomayor on his Facebook page.  Putting aside the question of why TP and the WI spends its time trolling Jason’s Facebook account, Jason responds today in a Hot Air exclusive about why he posted the message, and what it meant — and how his own similar personal biography means absolutely nothing about his ability to uphold the Constitution, and nothing about Sotomayor’s ability, either.

Will Sotomayor “shank” Scalia?

By Jason Mattera

Sonia Sotomayor grew up in The Bronx. I grew up in Brooklyn. She’s Puerto Rican. I’m Puerto Rican. She’s purportedly from a rough area. So am I. An  inner-city rivalry you ask? Oh yeah! I lobbed my Brooklyn salvo on Facebook, with this:

“If Sotomayor gained life experience from The Ghetto, does that mean she’d have a tendency to shank Scalia?”

Right on cue, the silly outrage from liberals. According to Matt Corley of Think Progress:

“The Republican establishment has often appeared worried that attacks on Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor, the first Latina nominated to the court, could appear racist. But the activists of the conservative movement are less concerned. In May, blogger Debbie Schlussel called Sotomayor ‘Justice J-Lo.’ Now, the Washington Independent’s Dave Weigel reports that Jason Mattera, the spokesman for Young America’s Foundation, has posted a blatantly offensive message about Sotomayor on his Facebook page.”

Okay, guys. Sorry. I got it all wrong: Sotomayor will not “shank” Scalia on the bench. What I meant to say is that she’ll shoot him up in a drive-by.  Watch out, brother Antonin!

Second salvo launched! Your turn, Sonia.

You see, I’m perfectly comfortable mocking the notion that Sotomayor is somehow better qualified for the Supreme Court because of her early days in The Bronx. For the life of me, I don’t see how living in public housing enhances one’s understanding of the Constitution. As a kid in NYC, I remember the crackheads, the hookers, the gang-bangers, the robberies, etc. Sure, it gives me interesting stories to tell over drinks, but would it heighten my ability to uphold the integrity of the United States Constitution? I’m gonna say no.

In reality, not only is the Constitution color blind (which Sotomayor is not), it is also ghetto blind. Judge Sotomayor’s story of “overcoming obstacles” is admirable, but irrelevant. This isn’t Oprah. It’s the Supreme Court.

But since Obama’s in the business of nominating people who have storybook narratives, may I suggest he give Ellen DeGeneres a chance to fill the next vacancy? She’s got one hell of a personal story (and she’s also gay—a twofer people!).

Brooklyn, 3; The Bronx, 0!

Comments

You’re a : Racst! Classcist! Jingoist! Rapist! Sexist! Fascist!

And any other nasty “-ist” not mentioned, as well! I said so!

/O-bot off.

Good Lt on July 14, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I like this guy

natural born ass kicka

blatantblue on July 14, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Jason don’t you get it?

Anything we say is racist

words are racist when slipped from conservative lips

blatantblue on July 14, 2009 at 11:45 AM

LMAO.

OmahaConservative on July 14, 2009 at 11:47 AM

You know it’s party time when Debbie Schlussel is referred to as an “activist conservative” blogger.

JetBoy on July 14, 2009 at 11:53 AM

You are clearly racist or something like that. or whatever.

Being called a racist by a lib these days means you made some point they can’t refute.

sonofdy on July 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM

JetBoy on July 14, 2009 at 11:53 AM

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

Dritanian on July 14, 2009 at 11:55 AM

FIRE FOR EFFECT

Kenosha Kid on July 14, 2009 at 11:56 AM

BTW did you see that they did the screen shot within 4 minutes of you posting it? They must have a paid opperative looking at everything you do.

Shades of 1984.

sonofdy on July 14, 2009 at 11:57 AM

The line that really struck me in Mattera’s piece is the quote “This isn’t Oprah. It’s the Supreme Court.” The thing is, for most of the Obama voters, life really IS Oprah. It’s all about feelings, not facts. The Sotomayor selection is a perfect choice for this voting bloc — but a terrible choice for the country.

jwolf on July 14, 2009 at 11:57 AM

JetBoy on July 14, 2009 at 11:53 AM

She’s just angry
too angry for me
every few months she comes and pens a screed then leaves
seems like a good woman and I like her work on jihad
just too angry

blatantblue on July 14, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Jason don’t back down!

apoole on July 14, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Jason Mattera and Perez Hilton: The Political “WWF”…..

Where can I buy tickets?

Mcguyver on July 14, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I used to hang out at TP just to raise a little he!l; they are about the last people on earth who should be accusing others of blatant offensiveness.

Bishop on July 14, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I can see I need to be Jason’s friend on FB.

Bob's Kid on July 14, 2009 at 12:12 PM

She’s just angry
too angry for me
every few months she comes and pens a screed then leaves
seems like a good woman and I like her work on jihad
just too angry

blatantblue on July 14, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Oh, yeah…Debbie’s entertaining.

I got into it with her a year or two ago on HA…I forget the thread and the subject, but suffice to say we did not agree on it.

I do like her “enthusiasm” tho.

JetBoy on July 14, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Only in the liberal mind could one be a racist for objecting to a racist being appointed the the Supreme Court.

18-1 on July 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Libs aren’t used to conservatives fighting back. They’re accustomed to us just sitting there, quietly, while they Bork any candidate we put up.

Well, I say those days are gone. It’s time to fight back. The libs say the days of Ronald Reagan conservatism are over. Really? Over? To quote former Sen. John Blutarsky, “Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!”

Gird your loins.

av8tr on July 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Screw ‘em.
I’m watching Sonia right now, stumbling through answer after answer. Not my idea of a legal genius.

n0doz on July 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Jason Mattera: a voice of reason; a reasonable voice.

Good work, Jason.

davidk on July 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Great response!

smfoushee on July 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Somehow Jason seems to think judges are robots. Why do we even need 9 if they are all carbon copies of each other?

mycowardice on July 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM

n0doz on July 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Yep. Campare that sadness with Alito’s lucidity.

davidk on July 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Shades of 1984.

sonofdy on July 14, 2009 at 11:57 AM

The left treats politics as the most important thing in their lives and funds legions of activists to do their dirty work – with both private and public funds.

As long as politics is a mere hobby for conservatives, we will continue to lose…

18-1 on July 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM

mycowardice on July 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I have a problem with judges deciding law based on “feelings”, empathy, and life experience rather then the rule of law.
We have jury trials by peers for that, the supreme court is to decide whether the law is constitutional.

conservativegrandma on July 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I like this guy

natural born ass kicka

blatantblue on July 14, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Natural born world shaker?

“He grin like a baby, but he bite like a gator.”

juanito on July 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

You’re a : Racst! Classcist! Jingoist! Rapist! Sexist! Fascist!

And any other nasty “-ist” not mentioned, as well! I said so!

He’s also a boroughist; a Brooklyn-supremacist even.

The Monster on July 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Well put, sport.

rogersnowden on July 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

sonofdy on July 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM

That’s why I’m grateful each time one of my lib friends descends into personal attacks while debating policy, life, etc. And so should each and every one of us. It means that they can no longer effectively argue against your ideas – they have to revert to their default state of shrieking snarkiness.
For example, when Garofalo made her little comment about Tea Party attendees all being “racist,” I had to smile. Lots of conservatives freaked out about it, but they should have looked at it as a little gift.

Knuckledragger on July 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM

This isn’t Oprah. It’s the Supreme Court.

I agree with everything said in the article. This statement, however, is the defining moment.

A compelling story about a wise Latina woman who’s capable of making better decisions than those crusty old white guys is something for Lifetime, not the SCOTUS.

Vic on July 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Libs want us to stop talking about Ricci, stop talking about Estrada, stop talking about how she will use feelings and not the law or the intent of Congress to guide her decisions.

They ask why have 9 judges, I ask why have a congress or a president when you have wise Latina’s, or a wise eugenicist Jew or a wise protestant White Female with very complex methods of deciding when and where affirmative action rules apply, or wise Zimbawean courts?

The wise nine is all we need.

sjramos on July 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

18-1 on July 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM
—-
This sentiment concerns me.

Why must we become like our enemies to defeat them?

What’s to stop a permanent, paid “conservative” staff from toggling over from promoting conservative ideas to defending their continued salaries?

Mew

acat on July 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Great post, well done dude.

Dash on July 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I love Jason. We need some more of him in left-wing gatherings. Those are hilarious!

13Girl on July 14, 2009 at 2:35 PM

This sentiment concerns me.

Why must we become like our enemies to defeat them?

Mew

acat on July 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

We need to learn Leftist tactics because they work – just as the Allied armies had to learn Blitzkrieg after 1940.

Now as for how to exactly implement them, that is indeed a problem. Overpoliticized, under employed activists are a very plentiful resource for the left, they are in much shorter supply for the right.

I think one think that is very clear though is that continuing to take the high road as we have been doing is not working.

18-1 on July 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I tell you and tell you, blog on the Libs web sites. Short one liners, all truth, and make fun of them. When they call names laugh at them, sends them right over the edge.

elclynn on July 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Start at Huff Po.

elclynn on July 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Isn’t it amazing how identity politics are such a wonderful basis to the left, until those politics are actually enumerated? To wit:

Since her Latina heritage is an important basis for her thought processes, and most Latinas are Christian, we should expect her to bring a greater emphasis on Christian doctrine to bear on her SCOTUS decisions.

Since her Latina heritage informs her judicial decisions, and most legal Latinas (especially those of long residence) are disdainful of, and alarmed by, the illegal migration from south of the border, we can expect her to take a dim view concerning the rights of illegal aliens.

Since her Latina heritage guided the development of her mental processes, and most Latinas grew up in a culture where personal firearms are prevalent, we can expect her to exhibit strong support of the 2nd Amendment.

Since her Latina heritage stands a point of personal pride to her, and most Latinas are not homosexual or bisexual, we can expect her to have a fundamental character bias against legislative and judicial challenges to DOMA.

Perhaps instead of lambasting identity politics, we should celebrate them. Or aren’t those part of her “identity”? What is it, then, that you lefty racists are actually celebrating?

ss396 on July 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I’d think her heritage would be more inclined to a job in the exciting hotel/motel industry.

Jeff from WI on July 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Because of her Latina Heritage she should abstain from any future rulings on GM (Government Motors), due to her peoples love of old Chebbies

Jeff from WI on July 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM