CBS: Obama dropped six points in a month

posted at 10:55 am on July 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

How bad has Barack Obama’s decline at the polls become?  Even CBS has finally realized it.  Both approval and disapproval numbers have moved sharply over the last month, and in the wrong direction, as voters have discovered that Obama hasn’t a clue about the economy and creating jobs.  You’ll be surprised to discover where CBS thinks he’s losing support, too:

President Obama’s approval rating has fallen six points in the past month, a new CBS News poll finds, amid growing skepticism about his handling of the economy and questions about the impact of the stimulus package.

The president’s current approval rating, which is 57 percent, is still relatively high. But it has fallen 11 points from its peak of 68 percent in April, and has also dropped since last month’s mark of 63 percent. His disapproval rating, meanwhile, has risen from 23 percent in April to 32 percent today.

The decline in support is coming not from Republicans – whose support for the president has actually risen – but from Democrats and independents. While 82 percent of Democrats still approve of the job Mr. Obama is doing, this number is down ten points from last month.

The president’s support among independents has fallen eight points to 50 percent. Only 30 percent of Republicans back Mr. Obama, though that’s up from 23 percent in June.

Among Democrats?  That’s certainly interesting, and one can see how that would affect a CBS poll.  After all, they rigged this poll again to oversample Democrats:

• Republicans: Unweighted – 256, Weighted – 220
  • Democrats: Unweighted – 314, Weighted – 332
  • Independents: Unweighted – 374, Weighted – 392

They used a weighting formula to artificially create a 12-point difference between Republicans and Democrats, and then report that Barack Obama has a 57% approval rating in the general population.  What a shock!  Even with that, they still note that his support dropped six points from June and eleven points from April.

On the economy, Obama still has a plurality in the CBS weighted poll, but it’s almost a statistical tie at 48%-44%.  Democrats approve, but only 66%-28%, and independents are in a statistical tie at 46%-43%,  Only 21% of respondents think the economy is improving, with 33% saying that it’s getting worse, and 45% saying it’s staying the same.  Neither of those last two numbers help Obama, almost six months into his term as President.

A majority (52%) believe Obama is trying to do too much, up from 38% in April, a trend that has uncomfortable portents as Obama pushes Congress to work on nationalizing health care and rationing energy production.  In fact, Obama is now down to a 49% approval rating in this CBS poll on health care, traditionally a strength for Democrats.  In this weighted poll, Americans are statistically split on whether to reform health care in the midst of a big economic downturn.  Interestingly, they don’t ask that question about cap-and-trade.

Rasmussen, of course, has shown this slippage much more accurately.  In their passion index, Obama has slipped to a -8, and the level of strong support has dropped to 28%, his lowest number yet.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Worse part is that I heard he’s going to provide “commentary” for a good part of the game. If he does, I’m out.

JiangxiDad on July 14, 2009 at 11:32

Jeez, I’m a huge baseball fan and I made plans to go watch the game with my dad tonight. Now, I have to listen to this jackass. Can’t he stay off of television for one night?

JohnInCA on July 14, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Pretty soon, CBS will only be polling confirmed Obamabots. They’ll teach those numbers!

GarandFan on July 14, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Why does CBS poll so many right-wing racists?

Bishop on July 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM

There’s a new “poll” on Facebook, which asks

If the 2008 Presidential Election were held today, would you vote the same way?

I voted for Obama and I stand by that vote.
3,283 (33.1%)

I voted for Obama and regret it. I would change my vote today.
129 (1.3%)

I did not vote for Obama and I stand by that vote.
6,133 (61.8%)

I did not vote for Obama, but now I like him and would vote for him today.
65 (0.7%)

I didn’t vote. But given the chance I would support Obama today.
120 (1.2%)

I didn’t vote and I really should have. I would vote agaisnt Obama today.
198 (2.0%)

What is curious about these results is that Facebook is claiming that over 44,000 people took this “poll” but the results only list about 25% of that number.

Del Dolemonte on July 14, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I think I know why Obama’s poll numbers are dropping.

FontanaConservative on July 14, 2009 at 12:11 PM

CBS News viewers are barely even being told that there IS an economy or foreign policy right now, let alone that they’re in freefall. The only news they get about this administration has to do with ice cream.

If the malaise is already penetrating through to this part of the population, Obama’s approval rating is going to be in the single-digits by 2012.

logis on July 14, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I say any media or website that has floated that Obama is a “Natural Born Citizen” should also be charged with Treason, Fraud, Conspiracy to commit fraud on the Peoples of the United States of America!!!

O/T: (in case you haven’t seen it :)
Ghana reports historical nature of Obama trip to visit continent of his BIRTH:

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Califemme, Army Major Stefen’s defense attorney should know.

Never abandon or destroy live ammo when on the defensive and the battle has yet to be won. Don’t waste it either when the need requires waiting until you see the whites of your enemy’s eyes.

The Constitutional stipulations were not met by BHO. The chronology of dates from passports, his mother’s age, and legal stipulations regarding timing of residence for qualifications at that time at that place did not conform with the letter of the law regarding the Constitution.

It takes a special dupe to believe Obama when he denies cheating. False in one thing, false in all. Being so open minded that you fail to study the letter of the law in order to feel justified in ignorance, going with the flow with the good ol’ boys, doesn’t excuse being bamboozled out of peer pressure to feel comfortable.

Charges filed against Obama have grounds requiring destruction and fabrication of evidence for his defense.

/Whereas, there was never any evidence supporting charges against Palin.

maverick muse on July 14, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Man he’s looking like Morgan Freeman these days.

Chuck Schick on July 14, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Gawsh, Califemme, now you are calling Ed and Allahpundit traitors!

Special K on July 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Special K on July 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Hmmmm. Hadn’t thought of that. Actually, I don’t know they necessarily stated that he was a “Natural Born Citizen”, so I think they get a pass. They just got tired of hearing it, methinks.

(please, no ban, please no ban, may peace be upon you) ;)

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

For Ghana, Obama’s visit will be a celebration of another milestone in African history as it hosts the first-ever African-American President on this presidential visit to the continent of his birth.

dinkyjackson on July 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

And I love how Republicans surged 7 points. I don’t have anymore air in my lungs in which to laugh at that one.

Chuck Schick on July 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

dinkyjackson on July 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Crazy, no?!?!

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM

From the linky:

As President Obama makes his historic visit to Ghana, the question on the lips and minds of many Ghanaians is “What is he bringing to or leaving with Ghana?””

Answer: Birth certificate?

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM

dinkyjackson on July 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Great and can Ghana keep him as a gift from the American people?

We’ll try and forge on without him.

NoDonkey on July 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Major Garret at Wh tweated that Obama is a southpaw (figures :) and that he threw first pitch game 1 2005 ALCS white sox/angels.

JiangxiDad on July 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM

You know what pitch he is going to throw right? It’s his pitch – it’s him- A Change-up, it comes out of the pitcher’s hand looking like the biggest fattest fastball the batter will ever see – you know, the one you will crush out of the park to win the game- but then just as it reaches the plate it shows it’s true colors and falls in the dirt in front of home plate. All promise, no reality.

It fools a lot of batters. Also the change-up doesn’t require a lot of skill or practice, you just bury the ball in your hand and throw it like a fastball. It is deception without much skill – it is his pitch. I predict 53 MPH and a wild pitch. He’s no athlete.

batterup on July 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Just like a well polished used car salesman – the truth will eventually be revealed about the piece of crap he sold us….

DL13 on July 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Opponents of Barack Obama’s presidency claim small court victory
9:26 PM | July 13, 2009

Supporters of a case that disputes the legitimacy of Barack Obama’s presidency claimed a small victory today when U.S. District Judge David O. Carter told them to fix their paperwork and that he would listen to “the merits” of their case. But others present for the hearing Monday at the federal courthouse in Santa Ana stressed that the case remains a long way from ever getting a full airing in court and may never get to that point.

The case, Alan Keyes, et al. v Barack H. Obama, et al. was filed on Inauguration Day and is one of a raft of suits alleging Obama is ineligible to be president because he is not a “natural born citizen.” Such claims have fared badly in court to date. In December, for example, the Supreme Court dismissed without comment a case challenging Obama’s right to take the oath of office.

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Obama ran on a platform of cutting taxes on almost everyone. Outside of ending the Iraq war, which Bush pretty much took care of before leaving office, it is about the only real policy position Obama took during the campaign.

Now he is the process of enacting draconian tax increases and intentionally cratering the economy to give money to his friends and allies.

The only shock is that people other then his beneficiaries are still supporting him – and I think we can probably chalk that up to liberal insanity and media bias.

18-1 on July 14, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I TOTALLY apologize for hijacking this thread, but Good God… his ineligibility is starting to come to light!!

Thank you for your patience! I heart Hot Air!!

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I was in the group that thought the “birthers” were all nut cases. However the longer Obama evades providing a simple birth certificate, the more creedence he gives them.
C’mon Peebo, just show it allready!
And for Republicans supporting Obama– Colin Powell, Schwartzwenegger, etc.. y’know the usual suspect RINOs.

conservativegrandma on July 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Dem’s outnumber Rep’s by 50%. In what bizarro world?

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM

It doesn’t take a “wise Latina woman” to figure out that The Won is a fraud.

dinkyjackson on July 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM

D+12 ?????????????????

Good night! Dan Rather would be more fair than this!!!

battleoflepanto1571 on July 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM

As Obama’s continues to flail, it’s interesting how, according to these guys, more an more people are flocking to the Democratic party.

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM

If the only thing Obama did every day was go into the oval office and continue breathing. He would still be doing too much.

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Obama reportedly said he would be surprised if his pitch went 30 mph. I’m a girl and even I can get it across the plate at 37 mph.

myrenovations on July 14, 2009 at 11:36 AM

BTW..no offense intended.

Maybe he’ll get TOTUS to fill in for him….wait…TOTUS is on the DL..damn!!!

BigWyo on July 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM

That must be why he’s looking more grey too…

CynicalOptimist on July 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Dem’s outnumber Rep’s by 50%. In what bizarro world?

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Hey, they are being generous here. In your average new room it is at least 10-1.

18-1 on July 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM

JiangxiDad on July 14, 2009 at 11:32

The irony of tuning out the ASG tonight to watch Big Brother has my head doing 360′s.

ConservativeLawStudent on July 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

To save money, CBS was probably making all of the calls for this poll local calls.

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Bozo’s actual popularity must be really really bad. Even CBS can’t cover it up anymore.

dogsoldier on July 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Dem’s outnumber Rep’s by 50%. In what bizarro world?

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM

al-AP actually ran with a poll a couple of months back that did exactly that-they sampled twice as many Democrats as Rethuglicans.

Del Dolemonte on July 14, 2009 at 1:01 PM

How funny, when I post the Ghana News link to LA Times site, its scrubbed. Twice, now.

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM

JiangxiDad on July 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I was +/- on watching the game because Ol’ motor mouth McCarver drives me up the wall. Now to add insult to injury “The One” will be there talking about “The One”?
Think I’ll go watch paint dry or something.

oldernwiser on July 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

You guys better hope his numbers stay high. Right now he has no reason to open Alcee Hastings’ (HR625) camps. But once his numbers are in the dirty thirties he’s gonna want to strike out at his critics. How did Castro handle a situation like that? You can bet L’Il Duce will best his hero by double.

lonesomecharlie on July 14, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Is that gray hair photoshopped or is he aging by the day. The incredible life of Benjamin “Barry” Button.

FireBlogger on July 14, 2009 at 1:14 PM

oldernwiser on July 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Seems the latest is he’ll be speaking in the top of the 2nd.

(I really do think this will work against him, but since O won I admit to not knowing my fellow Americans anymore.)

JiangxiDad on July 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM

WTF? Who are they polling? The Republicans who show up on MSNBC? Noonan, Frum, Powell, Megan McCain, and the like?

BuckeyeSam on July 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM

WHERE’S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE???

byteshredder on July 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Has anyone notices that Obama is getting grey, perhaps the whitehouse hair person should give him some color. Is the job too hard for him, is the stress making him go grey headed?

workingforpigs on July 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Dem’s outnumber Rep’s by 50%. In what bizarro world?

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Given that Democrats are all encouraged to vote at least twice in every election, I think this is probably pretty accurate.

NoDonkey on July 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM

JiangxiDad on July 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM

It certainly should. This attention craving POTUS tries to insinuate his face wherever there is a camera turned on and into every single event with even a tiny bit of national attention.
Mr. President, no you are not universally loved and adored. You never were. You have worn out your welcome and seeing you show up in so many inappropriate places will continue your slide downward.
Stop being such a self absorbed individual and commence to think about what we the people want. Believe it or not,that’s what you got elected for.

oldernwiser on July 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

They do a poll, and STILL try to skew it, to favor Obama. Geeze, when will they get it thru their thick heads, that this man knows squat about anything pertaining to foreign diplomacy, health care, and running a country, and at the top…how to recover an economy he has no intentions of recovering?

capejasmine on July 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Isn’t voting Present enough for our supreme leader.

workingforpigs on July 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Thank you for your patience! I heart Hot Air!!

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM

_________________

They got Capone on tax evasion. I read your link to Ghana…keep doin what you’re doing. It only sounds like a tinfoil caper, because this is happening in the USA!

It’s like turning an aircraft carrier…you have to repeat and repeat and repeat, for about six months till it registers on the “moderate independents”.

O/T: The bad economics are getting to my homo, kool-aid drinkin neighbor, a waiter, who lives on tips at the Olive Garden, here in Ft. Worth…he now can’t afford to water his lawn, is now on food stamps and can’t even afford pot anymore. This is serious, folks!

luvstotango on July 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Sicking his AG on Cheney will be Obama’s distraction du jour now that the Michael Jackson hysteria is dying down. All socialists fail all the time but- at exposure time-change the subject with a high publicity arrest (or maybe some minor foreign war.)

MaiDee on July 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Perhaps CBS is using the same sampling/data retrieval methods as Obama uses in his “I saved (fill in the blank # of millions) of jobs”

Jeff from WI on July 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM

MaiDee on July 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Nah. Even the smokescreen is a smokescreen. That could defer reporting on the economic freefall for another couple of months. But can you imagine Obama indicting Cheney, and Cheney testifying about all that stuff WHILE there’s a terrorist blowup somewhere?

The American public would overturn the Constitution and draft Cheney as a mid-term replacement President.

logis on July 14, 2009 at 2:10 PM

So st the rate that Obama is losing “support” if he keeps us this pace he will be below Bush in 12-15 years, yet never come close to Cheney?

Monkei on July 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Monkei on July 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

LOL. Cheney just beat him silly over Gitmo and waterboarding. Your Precedent even had to do a 180 on his treasonous idea to publish the Abu Ghraib photos. But don’t think that anyone was fooled.

I hope you idiots try to run a show trial for the dreaded secret CIA plan to assassinate Al Quaeda slime. I am wishing you morons push this. You despicable traitors won’t have time to worry about approval ratings as a majority of Americans will be calling for your heads on pikes.

By the way, how’s your support of Zelaya’s coup attempt going?

progressoverpeace on July 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Monkei on July 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

He’s not going to be in office five years, much less 10-12. He’ll be lucky to make it through this term, at the rate he’s screwing up.

We elected the first black President and that’s all that he was good for. Being the first black President.

Time to move on.

NoDonkey on July 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM

JiangxiDad on July 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Hey, hey, hey. You’ve now demeaned and belittled the ONLY thing I have in common with that lying, narcisstic, nincompoop, pea-brain.

Other than that, I’m a big fan of yours.

betsyz on July 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM

So does that mean essentially an 18 point divergence from reality?

RWLA on July 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Monkei on July 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Give me the state media for one month and I will give you an Obama who polls worse then Congress.

Oh, and at the current rate, Obama will be at a negative approval rating by earlier next year. At least that’s why my Gore-o-matic computer modeling indicates.

18-1 on July 14, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Just heard from a die-hard liberal friend this week. He mentioned having a fleeting sense that Obama was channeling Hitler during one of his more angry authoritarian-style teleprompter performances. I said conservatives that have had that feeling before no longer watch him speak to avoid being creeped out and are now more concerned about his channeling Hitler’s political and economic style.

The mask is slipping ahead of the polls.

econavenger on July 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Why does CBS poll so many white, middle aged male right-wing racists?

Bishop on July 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM

FIFY

chemman on July 14, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Conservativesailor on July 14, 2009 at 3:57 PM

“ITS GEORGE BUSH’S FAULT AND HIS EVIL VICE PRESIDENT, THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR GLOBAL WARMING AND THE OVERPOPULATION PROBLEM IN CHINA!

Conservativesailor on July 14, 2009 at 3:57 PM”

Actually, can you imagine how much better America would of been if Old Joe & Rose Kennedy never conceived?

Jeff from WI on July 14, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Monkei on July 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

You must be a victim of new math. Only a math illiterate can get an 11% drop in two months to take 12-15 years to reach Bush’s low ratings. Let see if I get it. 11% X 6 = 66% per year. 12 x 66 = 792%. So it is your position that Bush had a -735% (792- 57)rating when he left office. Real math shows that if he continues to lose 11% every two months that he will reach (57-11 =46; 46-11=35; 35-11=24) Bush’s 30% ratings in a little less that 5 months. As I say you are a math illiterate.

chemman on July 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM

BTW Monkei even if you take this 11% loss as occuring over the first 7 months of his administration that still works out to 21 months from now when his approval ratings dip under Bush’s. So giving you the benefit of the doubt, you are still a math illiterate.

chemman on July 14, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I love to see Hussein suffer. I really do.

madmonkphotog on July 14, 2009 at 4:17 PM

maybe the sheeple are starting to open their eyes and see where they are actually being led…….

whatzit2u on July 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM

chemman on July 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Good catch. I guess Algebra isn’t a requirement for a major in Interpretive Dance.

PimFortuynsGhost on July 14, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Even non-English speaking, 3rd-world immigrants, understand and recognize the nationalization of GM and the Chrysler theft…no English translation needed.

O/T: I have a question. Since Hillary is also a fan of Saul Alinsky, where would she have stopped on all of Obama’s policies? She’s heralded everything Obama has done…did I miss an objection of hers?

luvstotango on July 14, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 14, 2009 at 1:01 PM

That would be Dems outnumbering Reps by 100%

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Strange days indeed, people!

J.J. Sefton on July 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Monkei on July 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

You’ve been gone for months, and come back to deliver that?

I take it that math was never your strong suit. If he’s lost 6 points in a month, that would work out to 72 points in a year. Since he’s only at 52% now, 72 points would take him down to -20 range.

Now I know that you have no intention of making a serious comment, (Why break a perfect record?) so it’s safe to assume that you were just being an a$$hole and didn’t expect anyone to take your nonsense seriously.

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

PimFortuynsGhost on July 14, 2009 at 4:34 PM

He’s still in school? I thought he was majoring in sleeping in Mom’s basement.

MarkTheGreat on July 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

HE’s ONLY HALF BLACK! I suggest the R’s start to publicize he’s only half useful. Liberals will start looking elsewhere for a 2012 alternative.

leftnomore on July 14, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Just finished shooting an independent short film and one of the actors, a die-hard lib Kool-Aid guzzler couldn’t stop spewing his HATRED for Obomber. Strange days indeed, people!
J.J. Sefton on July 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Fortunately, I never even have to meet any of these people, let alone talk to them.

But just walking past them on the street, I’m hearing snippets like, “Where’s my Obama money? I ain’t seen a penny yet!”

It’s not like I’m standing around for hours evesdropping. This has to be coming up pretty frequently in what passes for moonbat conversation.

And this is after SIX MONTHS. They’re willing to give the guy some leeway, but by this time next year they’re going to going nuts.

Most of the previous liberal “revolutions” have happened in Third World countries. How do you appease the mob when you’re STARTING OUT with almost 50% of the economy based on wealth transfer, and overwhelming national debt? It’s easy to rile a mob, but how will Obama fulfill any of their expectations?

I really can’t tell that Obama has the end game thought through at all. He’s done a great job at trashing the economy – but that’s the easy part.

logis on July 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Monkei on July 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

You were much funnier at Captain’s Quarters. What happen, your Kool-Aid go bad on you?

Del Dolemonte on July 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Time to move on.

NoDonkey on July 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM

No, he’s the second black President. I guess you weren’t around in 1992.

Del Dolemonte on July 14, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Ed, is that the glare off my monitor or is the one already graying rapidly?

Not a good sign 6 months in, and his hair is turning gray….the only answer is to free him from the Democrat controlled Congress. YES WE CAN.

Dr Evil on July 14, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Califemme on July 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM

That place is an echo chamber… I wouldn’t try it again.

WHERE’S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE???

byteshredder on July 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I’m standing with you on this one Byte… he could silence all the opposition by showing one but he won’t.

BTW: the website that showed Obama’s ‘Certificate of Live Birth’ has been taken down.

At first, I wouldn’t put much stock in the birthers, but every other president has shown a certificate.

Chaz706 on July 15, 2009 at 1:04 AM