Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the week?

posted at 9:00 am on July 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It’s time for our weekly poll on the week’s best — or worst — amateurish stumble from President Obama. Feel free to peruse our archives to avoid misreading the choices, or else Joe Biden might rat you out. A little research, after all, will save you some embarrassing confusion. You might feel like running off to Alaska to hide, which you can do since Russia sold it to us out of desperation, which Obama thought was pretty danged funny, but not as funny as picking out a painting for the White House that literally raises indecision to the level of high art. It would make a funny story, and like the story of how Barack met Michelle, we can change it every week.

Previous “winners”:

• Obama uses union and DNC plants at health-care town hall
  • Obama plants a question on Iran with HuffPo
  • Change in Iran coming because “Obviously, after the speech I made in Cairo…”
  • Flashing his soles to the camera while talking to Netanyahu
  • “If you actually took the number of Muslim Americans, we’d be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world.”
  • “We can no longer afford to spend as if deficits do not matter and waste is not our problem.”
  • Siccing Tim Geithner and Charlie Rangel on tax cheats
  • Phony Churchill quote on torture throws Grandpa under the bus
  • Torture probe flip-flop
  • Obama covers up IHS while quoting Jesus
  • Austrian is a language?
  • Obama bows to the Saudi king
  • 1908 Model T got better gas mileage than today’s SUVs

Comments

Joke about the sale of Alaska illustrates the depth of his knowledge of history, his meager grasp of diplomacy and complete lack of a coherent foreign relations policy. A truly amateurish blunder.

Oldnuke on July 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Wow the field is rich with stupid remarks this week. I feel that BO’s story on how he met MO is the best example of how he plays politics. Say what is interesting or encouraging no matter the truth.

I have to say the for the first time in my life I am ashamed of the leadership of our country.

jbh45 on July 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Should have included an ogling choice. Amateurish and boorish both.

doctormom on July 12, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Sorry, I missed the choice of art one… link, anybody?

meep on July 12, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Biden says Obama “misread the economy”

Ha. What is there to misread? Leave it be. The market is self regulating and it runs all by itself.

Obama confuses Russian president and prime minister

That’s just plain bad form for a president.

Obama jokes about Alaska sale with Russians

It was a good deal. Why don’t the Russians sell me some land? It would out-perform Hong Kong in a few years. No doubt.

Libertarian Joseph on July 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Never mind, I found it.

Wonder who picked that one out. That’s just too funny.

meep on July 12, 2009 at 9:16 AM

O/T – From the UK Sun:

BRITISH helicopter gunships killed 50 fleeing Taliban fanatics yesterday as they desperately tried to float their trucks over a river. The devastating strike will be some revenge for the killing of seven UK servicemen in a week. It came as British troops began to win Operation Panther’s Claw, the bloodiest battle of the year in the Afghan badlands.

Good shooting, Mates!

Tony737 on July 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM

The Alaska sale. It shows he doesn’t understand diplomacy and has no tact.

What did he find so attractive about that 16-year old anyway?

Carl in Jerusalem on July 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Obama just did a “salon” in WAPO today

Rebuilding Something Better

By Barack Obama
Sunday, July 12, 2009

Nearly six months ago, my administration took office amid the most severe economic downturn since the Great Depression. At the time, we were losing, on average, 700,000 jobs a month. And many feared that our financial system was on the verge of collapse.

The swift and aggressive action we took in those first few months has helped pull our financial system and our economy back from the brink

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was not expected to restore the economy to full health on its own but to provide the boost necessary to stop the free fall

William Amos on July 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Art imitating life.

blatantblue on July 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Ed, how about some links to the Obamateurisms, so I can get a refresher?

ViperPilot on July 12, 2009 at 9:28 AM

OK your scarying me Barry. It shows you did intend to remake the economy YOUR way.

I am confident that the United States of America will weather this economic storm. But once we clear away the wreckage, the real question is what we will build in its place. Even as we rescue this economy from a full-blown crisis, I have insisted that we must rebuild it better than before.

William Amos on July 12, 2009 at 9:29 AM

And I appologize to you Ed I forgot what you asked me last week. Im sorry for forgetting.

William Amos on July 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM

good choices this week….sad that there can be so many every week, but there it is…

cmsinaz on July 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM

though i picked the Biden quote about “misreading the economy” (even if true, he should have kept his gaffe-y mouth shut), not understanding the sale of Alaska by the Russians & the economic issues attached to it does indicate a vast lack of knowledge of US history.

if he doesn’t know that, then he probably doesn’t know alot of stuff we know.

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM

biden

rob verdi on July 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM

wm amos: of course bambi & group want to remake economy & this whole country in “their” way.

he is doing all of this on purpose (except for saying stupid stuff).

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM

oh my word: if i had seen the art choice, i would have selected that. what a poor, poor signal that sends.

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Ed, your going to have to start making these polls easier.

Good shooting, Mates!

Tony737 on July 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM

abinitioadinfinitum on July 12, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Joe Biden says “We Misread economy is why it makes it a obama gaffe

William Amos on July 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Every week it gets tougher than the last to choose.

Gotta go with meeting Michele because it shows how he’ll say anything to make a point, even when it involves his personal life.

What husband would sink that low?

tru2tx on July 12, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I think the art says it all.

jimmy2shoes on July 12, 2009 at 9:41 AM

what husband would sink that low? one whose wife was complicit in the whole deal: the lies, the shady (illegal) dealings, the wish for the destruction of our country, the hatred of our military & the love of facism.

they say michelle, my belle, is such a strong woman. she cannot be if she is allowing her personal life to be destroyed so that her charlatan husband can ruin our country. unless she wishes it so as well.

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Biden could fill up a thread every time he speaks.

Star20 on July 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I voted for the ‘met his wife’ thing. According to MY pocket sized Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders this narcissistic trait shows an incredible lack of self-editing. The constant need to assert himself into every situation is somewhat childish and dangerous at the same time – let’s just say biden-ish.

Doesn’t he realize that some of us out here in flyover country will know that he is just flat lying most of the time when he tells his folksy stories? Oh yes, he doesn’t care. Unbelievable.

libertylady on July 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Obama gets black legitimacy from Michelle. She gets a brown skinned Harvard guy. Deal/deal.

JiangxiDad on July 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Mine isn’t on the list.

Barry to Africa: stand on your own two feet, and BTW, here is a 43 billion dollar check to get you started.

Limerick on July 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM

So hard to choose this week.

I was hoping for a booty-call options…b/c that was it right there lol!

bluelightbrigade on July 12, 2009 at 10:03 AM

libertylady on July 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM

It’s a red flag when a fellow in conversation with you seems more focused on getting you to see his narrative in a particular way than in simply telling the truth.

When it’s a salesman, you slam the door in his face or walk away. When he’s president? You shrug your shoulders, and go back to living in squalor, selling your homemade crystal meth on the street, and you keep bitching that nobody appreciates the profound intelligence of Barack Obama, or the plans he has for us: you’ll see, he’s a really smart guy, just you wait, you’ll see.

It’s very sad.

jeff_from_mpls on July 12, 2009 at 10:03 AM

he is doing all of this on purpose (except for saying stupid stuff).

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I’m not sure all these stupid remarks are accidental. There are far too many of them. It’s almost as if we’re meant to think he’s harmless, a la Biden, because he is so stupid. The fact that my Sunday mornings are now filled will angst and indecision here, as I attempt to nail down the most amateurish moment of the week makes my Spidey senses tingle. Too many people are not “getting it” yet. I’m scared &%@$less, especially after reading the reports about the Iranian “diplomats” we traded for Saberi.

gopmom on July 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM

gopmom: the teleprompter screw-ups are accidental, i’m sure.

do you think that people could think bambi is “folksy”? er, he’s from Chicago. that’s not folksy territory.

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM

sorry, gopmom. your adjective is “harmless”. much better.

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Anyone got a link to the “how he met his wife” thing? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Also, if anyone wants to express themselves, Politico has a little poll going at the bottom of their home page where you can grade Obama. So far, 49% have given him a D or an F. I went with the “F.”

califcon on July 12, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Next Weeks Obamateurism ?

Obama pledges Allegence to Ghana.

William Amos on July 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I agree with Doctormom. The art wasn’t a gaffe, it was even somewhat appropriate. Including the booty ogling would have been more in line with the theme.

c.u.shoeless on July 12, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Thanks for wife comment I missed it first time around.
Shows how stupid he thinks we all are. He makes it up as he goes, or someone wrote that for him who didn’t know better. I suspect he has people writing his speeches. A conservative wouldn’t need a teleprompter as we speak from the heart.

Ed Laskie on July 12, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Thanks, William, somehow I missed that. It’s hard to believe anyone can have such a blatant disregard for the truth.

The good thing is, people are starting to notice. Even the LA Times has a column today “The End of Obamania?” with a little poll asking if his popularity has run its course. 76.6% of the people chose “yes, now he needs to produce results.” Lots of little things these days causing me to be cautiously optimistic.

califcon on July 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM

The Alaska joke showed incredible Orrogance as well as the administration’s lack of research on foreign affairs.

ladyingray on July 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM

jbh45 on July 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM

I would agree — except for Clinton in the Oval Office. Oh and Carter in almost every thing he did. Reagan’s speech against Carter could be given today, and should be.

Christian Conservative on July 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM

William Amos on July 12, 2009 at 9:29 AM

He scared me before he was elected. I couldn’t describe what I feel now.

Oldnuke on July 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Tough choices like every week but I have to go with Biden for speaking the truth, that they didn’t have a clue.

PatMac on July 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM

if he doesn’t know that, then he probably doesn’t know alot of stuff we know.

…and if the president doesn’t even know stuff the avg person knows, then he isn’t as well-educated as we have been told.

kelley in virginia on July 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM

jeff_from_mpls on July 12, 2009 at 10:03 AM

He probably took BS classes at Columbia (where many of the journalists were developed — or in curriculum imitating it) where you got a B for no reason and an A if your wrote a paper or were black or very cool. He was a B student in history in high school which was probably the most objective and difficualt class on the the subject which the poor jerk ever had. The grade was stated by his teaher but Couric missed that lead.

And Harvard Law? Where he supposedly gave up “a Wall Street job” that would have made him rich to instead help the community? Well how about the theory that he knew he couldn’t hack it? I don’t know. He had a political post at HLS and seems to have done little writing.

Finally, how about the 57 states and the teleprompter? Tells you something…even if he puts chills up legs.

P. S. Virginia is turning against The One. The annointing oil is wearing off.

IlikedAUH2O on July 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Really good week for President Obama gaffes. The first one’s the best, but because it was actually Biden’s I went with the Russia sale.

BadgerHawk on July 12, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I picked The One confusing the Russian Prime Minister with the President. I believe even I could get that one right.

Such an embarrassment.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Obama majored in int’l relations. It wasn’t difficult. It was all PC, all the time–pure lefty drivel about how wonderful int’l organizations were and the diplomatic lifestyle. I should know. I was there at the same time as he was, but don’t remember ever seeing him.

JiangxiDad on July 12, 2009 at 12:02 PM

JD, I don’t think anyone has ever come up with anyone who remembers him from Columbia. It’s unbelievable that there has been no one at Occidental or Columbia who could get his records out there. While his grades would be interesting, I wonder if the real reason for the suppression is that he was not, in fact, registered under the name he uses now, but attended as Barry Soetoro.

califcon on July 12, 2009 at 12:19 PM

califcon on July 12, 2009 at 12:19 PM

heh.

JiangxiDad on July 12, 2009 at 12:40 PM

JiangxiDad on July 12, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Yup, of course you are correct. I was just using the most noted school at Columbia as an example and a knock on the MSM.

BTW, where is Clown Letterman and anyone else on these gaffes? And they say Fox is biased? You could spend several hours a day on the administration’s stupid mistakes!

Aside from prep school, nobody seems to remember The One anywhere, at least very well. I am holding my breath for NBC to release a documentary on the whole thing.

IlikedAUH2O on July 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I had to go with the art as it just illuminates his indesision on most everything. This makes him such a poor choice as a leader. He apparently thinks it makes him look introspective.
The Alaska comment to the Russians was my next choice. I don’t think he made it because he just doesn’t know history(which is true), he is afraid of one of their residents and wishes that the Russians had the problem and not him. Alaska on his mind!

BetseyRoss on July 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM

From above:

Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

P. S. I know somebody may have said this before but isn’t it better to say if The One leaves office?

IlikedAUH2O on July 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Man, Obama’s stimulation is working great! I got this, like, afterglow, but I’m still, like, all “shovel ready”, if you know what I mean.

fronclynne on July 12, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Obama jokes about Alaska sale with Russians 37% (674 votes)

I’m 674!!!

If his term was The Gong Show we’d be listening to Chuck Berris introducing the next act.

ericdijon on July 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Oh golly, this is hard!

1. Misreading the economy is a Biden gaffe. Barry believes the economy is moving along splendidly.

2. It’s easy to confuse the two…everybody knows Putin is the head honcho pulling the strings

3. I picked the Alaska sale. It shows a lack of knowledge, history, diplomacy and tact as well as a poor attempt to make a joke. We’re in a similar situation of massive debt. Perhaps we should sell Kalifornia to the highest bidder to pay off China?

4. His story on how he met Michelle fit his agenda at the time. It merely demonstrates that he’ll pander to whatever audience he’s speaking to…not unusual for a politician. However, Barry does this too frequently to maintain any credibility.

5. The painting is an unfortunate choice, but apparently it “speaks” to him. It represents the spirit of monumental indecisiveness that Barry embraces.

Barb Dwyer on July 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM

You missed the best one of the week.

Where the mighty O all but dismissed Reagan’s pivitol role in the end of the cold war.

Jim708 on July 12, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Palin must be whispering this goofy sh*t into Barry and Joe’s ears or something…/sarc
Oh, and the Alaska sale gaff is big because it typifies Obama sans TOTUS… Dunce w/ a side order of buffoon.

RalphyBoy on July 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM

This is getting too hard.

For sheer diplmatic ignorance: Confusing the Russian president and prime minister. I’d cut him some slack, because it’s easy to not know the difference, if he wasn’t on a diplomatic trip to Russia.

For sheer offensiveness to the host: Cracking a joke about “getting a good deal on Alaska.”

For sheer political pandering: reinventing “How I met my wife” to suit the occasion

For sheer cluelessness: choosing art work that was about not being able to make a decision.

Gotta go with making up stories about meeting his wife. How could he think he’d get away with that?

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on July 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM

It’s a five-way tie. I simply can’t vote, as each incident is as stupid as the next.

Jaibones on July 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM

The Alaska sale gets my vote, shows such lack of depth.
Kinda like asking, “what’s the WSJ?”

luvstotango on July 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM

I voted for the Alaska gaff but I also somehow missed the art story a few days ago – that’s really a perfect piece for him, more evidence that his real name is Hank Kimball.

Paradox Drive on July 12, 2009 at 7:01 PM

What husband man would sink that low?

tru2tx on July 12, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Excepting my fix, I agree with you. A LIAR in one context, particularly when it matters so little, will LIE in other context, like say his duties as president. Character matters. Always has, always will.

AnotherOpinion on July 12, 2009 at 9:16 PM

The Alaska sale gets my vote, shows such lack of depth.
Kinda like asking, “what’s the WSJ?”

luvstotango on July 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM

A little mean, but funny – for those of us who were on that thread.

massrighty on July 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Definitely the Alaska joke.

The Cuda is in this guy’s head somethin fierce.

Now she is free to snipe at him for the forseeable future.

This will be Redcoats marchin to Concorde all over again.

Sapwolf on July 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Obama Snubbed By Russian Diplomats

ama on July 12, 2009 at 10:48 PM

ama on July 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM

The Alaska sale gets my vote, shows such lack of depth.
Kinda like asking, “what’s the WSJ?”

luvstotango on July 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM
A little mean, but funny – for those of us who were on that thread.

massrighty on July 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Truth hurts…she deserves a wee bit of a snarky comment.

I watched the Battle of Midway tonight along with the Battle for Iwo Jima on the Military Channel. Difficult to suffer fools like her, who have put our country in peril,
after seeing film of 28,000 marines slaughtered in 4 weeks on Mt. Kobiyashi(sp).

I feel just like another poster’s name, “LibTired”.
Worked in Palo Alto, CA for 5 years…know them well.

Grant me the courage not to give up, even though I think it is hopeless.
- Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

luvstotango on July 13, 2009 at 5:19 AM

The Alaska sale gets my vote, shows such lack of depth.
Kinda like asking, “what’s the WSJ?”

luvstotango on July 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM

WSJ….Bill O’Reilly answer to WWJD…What Say Jesus??

right2bright on July 13, 2009 at 7:19 AM

The Alaska sale.

Of course it makes perfect sense that D’oh-bama would be ignorant of US history, since he intends to rewrite all of it in his image anyway.

infidel4life on July 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM