Video: DeMint exposes parliamentary hypocrisy in Dem-controlled Senate

posted at 6:56 pm on July 8, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

You have to wade through a few minutes of rather dry exposition from Senator Jim DeMint before getting to the real meat of the exchange between DeMint and the presiding officer, Senator Kay Hagan. DeMint wants to offer an amendment requiring a GAO audit of the Federal Reserve to an existing bill requiring other GAO audits of other agencies, notably the National Transportation Safety Board. Democrats object under Rule 16, which restricts amendments according to germaneness, and DeMint goes to town:

Why target the amendment dealing with the Fed? After all, the Obama administration wants to expand their power over the financial industry. While I’m not a believer in the Fed-is-the-root-of-all-evil school, expanding their power should come with an expansion of transparency and oversight of the quasi-governmental entity. If it now has more official regulatory power, then its actions should be subject to audits to ensure against abuses and fraud, just as with any other regulatory body — such as some of those mentioned in this very bill.

If nothing else, it’s hilarious to see Hagan admit repeatedly that Democrats broke rules themselves that they want enforced on Republicans. It’s political hypocrisy at its finest … or lowest.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I would prefer him to stay in the senate. We need leadership there as well. Besides Upstater, being a U.S. senator is not really on the same level as a state governor. Governor’s have a full time job. Senator’s have breaks between sessions hence, not a real full time job responsibility and are not held as accountable to their contingents as a governor is. Governors are held accoutable for their decisions whereby a U.S. senator is only accountable for their votes. It is not the same level of respective representative responsibilities by no means.

Americannodash on July 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I agree that we need him in the Senate.

I’m not sure I agree with the part about Govs>Sens, but for the moment, let’s suppose I do agree with you. Which governors would you like to see run in 2012? Which governors have more conservative credentials (include some)?

Upstater85 on July 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Only Congress has the power to coin money.

If they are NOT doing oversite of the Fed, how can they say they are even paying lip service to their Constitutional Requirments?

Romeo13 on July 8, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I agree that we need him in the Senate.

Upstater85 on July 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I have only one that I would support at this time. She is about to step down and turn the power of state to her Lt Governor. Once she is more apt to the vast array of national issues I believe that she will be a contender.
I think that Jindal has potential as well but he too needs some seasoning.
The rest of the field out there are CINO’s & RINO’s or as I like to call them WINDSOCKS. Records of past failures & deviations from conservative principles is a formula for a Bob Dole or John McCain do over. I don’t won’t to vote for the lesser of two evils again if I don’t have to.
My focus right now is on the 2010 midterms. I encourage others to do the same. 2012 will work itself out and hopefully the conservative candidate will emerge from the pack.

Americannodash on July 8, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I wonder if that was the end of it or did some Dem(s) offer up a defense for their obvious hypocrisy. Seems like they are getting more and more brazen in their total contempt for following the rules.

infidel4life on July 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM

“Friggest thou and the steed that bore thee hence.”

LimeyGeek on July 8, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Your T-shirt kills me!

Planning the money supply and socialist economic planning is not the same thing, it’s not the same league, it’s not even the same sport.

Socialist economic planning is about trying to get around the invisible hand of the free market. The Fed is trying to use the invisible hand of the free market.

You’re cute.

Somebody has to control the government’s money supply.

If only that’s all it was doing.

Who should do it, if not the Fed? You got an answer for that?

apollyonbob on July 8, 2009 at 7:45 PM

What did we do before the glorious, ever-benevolent Fed? You got an answer for that?

Much has been proposed. Free market banking, or at least competing currencies.

Rae on July 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Upstater85 on July 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Eh, yeah, I wondered if you supported Palin (I’m assuming this is whom you are referring to). To be fair to you, you did not insist that a Presidential nominee be a governor, but you did point out the strengths. I’d have to assume that you believe that you think Palin would make a better President than let’s say Sen. DeMint because of her governmental executive experience. This is what I’m inferring. Am I correct? If so, then I do not agree with your argument. Palin is quitting the governorship. It would not seem reasonable to say that Palin is qualified for the most executive position in the country because at one time she held the title of governor – especially given that she did resign.

Further, what conservative credentials does Palin bring to the table that DeMint doesn’t? Now, we need to step back and admit that perhaps a more conservative politician doesn’t necessarily have the best Chances at winning. I’d be willing to overlook some of the conservative credentials if there were a reasonably conservative individual running for President in ’12 that had a good chance of winning.

I think that Jindal has potential as well but he too needs some seasoning.

I think Jindal has potential too. We will have to keep watching him. See what how his policies are. Although I agree Jindal needs some coaching on flowing, natural speaches, I’m not sure he needs more seasoning than Palin. If nothing else, he’ll probably end up with more by the end of his gubernatorial term. Perhaps though you were just noting that he needs seasoning and you agree Palin does too.

Neither do I. Yet another reason I’m not jumping on anyone’s bandwagon, yet.

Americannodash on July 8, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Well, we can agree on this. I think some of this talk of ’12 could be detrimental if we don’t worry about gaining ground (not keeping ground) in ’10.

Upstater85 on July 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Alas, I step out… Will check in later.

Upstater85 on July 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Senators have no, or little, executive experience. They make poor Presidents all the way around.

HondaV65 on July 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM

pLOL

The Dean on July 8, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Sooooo, does that mean we Nebraskans have “Ben” Porked?

yoda on July 8, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Kay Hagan is one of my Senators. *facepalm*

NCJeff on July 8, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Democrat ba$tards!

I f***ing hate them!

ErinF on July 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Upstater85 on July 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Upstater, for detailed information of the potentials I did not note that & did not list their credentials is because I feel that the task could dicovered by you using google. You can always go the their government web sites as well. I type pretty slow as it is and I won’t do it for you. BTW, when I would asked my Dad what does this or that mean, he would turn to me & say look it up for yourself. I would ask why he wouldn’t just tell me outright. His response was simple: Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish & he will eat for a lifetime.
We’ll talk again about these matters in six to eight months.
Frankly, as a last parting shot to you, I wonder how your choice of this senator will appeal nationally. Does he have the charisma & the power to draw a large coalitions (big tent). I would like for Ed or Allah to post more about Demint. When you only hear about this man on now & then or every other full moon, that doesn’t sway me that he is dynamic person of interest or an influential entity in regards to national bid for the office of the presidency. So there you have it. I’m done here.

Americannodash on July 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Hmmm. I think DeMint would prove to be an exception to that rule. He is one of the few who consistently fights for the taxpayer. God bless this man.

ErinF on July 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I’m not ready to put DeMint in the White House yet, but I’d suggest that we develop a short list of leaders we support financially for at least reelection:
Jim Inhofe, Tom Coburn, Jim DeMint, Bobby Jindal, Michele Bachmann… Stop giving to the RNC and give to these folks. Starve the RINO’s.

Christian Conservative on July 8, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I have always said when my youngest turns 18 I am throwing a dart at a map and that is where I am going to move. I guess I am gonna aim that dart at SC.
I have one good senator now…and proud to say the one we replaced Daschle with.. and one bad one. I just dont see him making waves yet like DeMint. I keep seeing him in the background on tv but not real voice yet.

proudteadrinker on July 8, 2009 at 10:58 PM

would someone plz post a link to the video. I am on my moto q9c using IE and can’t see the video.

HotAir staff, plz consider doing better to support mobile devices like Drudge does with idrudgereport.com. Politico, Fox News and others also do a good job supporting mobile devices. Why can’t HotAir?

kerrhome on July 8, 2009 at 11:11 PM

If that doesn’t p155 you off, I don’t know what will/

as an aside, “Germane” did the moonwalk as The king expressed solidarity to his fans by brainlessly attending his own funeral.

Thank you.

roscopico on July 8, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Rae on July 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Somebody has to control the government’s money supply.

Who should do it, if not the Fed? You got an answer for that?

apollyonbob on July 8, 2009 at 7:45 PM

What if we returned to the Gold Standard?

Red State State of Mind on July 9, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Upstater85 on July 8, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Worked like a charm. Thanks for doing what it appears HotAir will not do. This is not the first time I’ve asked for them to improve the site. Better mobile device (Windows Mobile) support would be a wonderful thing.

kerrhome on July 9, 2009 at 12:32 AM

For those of us who know our history, this is EXAXTLY the same thing done in the Reichstag to Nazi opposition in 1930-33. Nazis broke Reichstag rules to pass laws in an illegal manner eventually leading to Hitler’s appointment as Chancellor “in a position independent and immune to parliamentary rules.” We ARE seeing NAZI Germany repeat itself in history.

nelsonknows on July 9, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Much has been proposed. Free market banking, or at least competing currencies.

Rae on July 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM

We were on the Gold standard before. It sounds stable but I have 2 concerns.

One concern with going back to the gold standard is this: what if you don’t have gold?

Furthermore, we have 147.3 million ounces of gold at Fort Knox. Sadly, according to Reagan, we don’t own an ounce of it.

Another concern is this: what if someone corners the Gold Market?

And lastly, no major reform of the currency can come without a major reform of the banking industry (both private and public).

Chaz706 on July 9, 2009 at 1:04 AM

With the Demorona in full bloom in Washington, why do they need a hack from Nebraska for more fertilizer? Was the trough so empty at home that they needed a lousy $200,000?

And where is the MSM on all this?

Yes, that is right; they are watching The One get history lessons from Russian leaders. Now they are just lectures, later they will be demonstrative. Like doing to one or two more states what they did to Georgia. And the sap we have as a leader doesn’t have a clue.

IlikedAUH2O on July 9, 2009 at 4:31 AM

He is pretty awesome. His tweets are always informative, too. I like him a lot…I also liked what his response was over the Sanford debacle. He seems like a stand up guy.

***

Nothing like watching the liberal overlords essentially set up mock legislative process to give the illusion that government is still working as we’ve known it. By hook or crook these people gain power…and then hang us on our own morality. It’s despicable. At this point, these people must be defeated as enemies of the state. I am so beyond reasoning with them.

Kay Hagan is my newly minted senator, too. I am going to give her a call to tell her I am watching her response as Soros-thugs, MoveOn is staging a protest to get her to sign a healthcare bill WITH the public option in it. Nice to know she is a target.

Mommypundit on July 9, 2009 at 6:27 AM

Had to watch the video again and it was amazing to watch Senator Hagan’s face. This is one more reason to get rid of the class of 2010 Democrats….Senator Ben Nelson is up for re-election in 2010 and is usually the moderate Democrat that has some good sense….not this time. Nebraska’s “Ben” porked!!!

yoda on July 9, 2009 at 7:28 AM

The reason they don’t want to audit the Fed is because it will cause panic. Fed has been supporting the dollar for so long that is way out of balance with reality. The Fed also caused the current crises by lowering the short term interest rates which made ARMs very attractive then hiked the rates causing the calamity we experienced. The Fed is a secret private institution with no over sight. We pay them just interest payments to run the government. We throw trillions of dollars to them and they don’t tell us who gets it. It is key tool for Keynesian imprisionment of the economy. The Fed has done a very poor job of regulating the US economy and needs to be replaced with a better system with more oversight.

Ed Laskie on July 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM

CATO.org has great stuff on Fed.

Ed Laskie on July 9, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Congress should
● amend the Federal Reserve Act to make long-run price stability the primary goal of monetary policy;
● recognize that the Federal Reserve cannot fine-tune the real economy but can achieve long-run price stability by its control over the monetary base (currency held by the public plus bank reserves);
● hold the Fed accountable for safeguarding the purchasing power of the dollar;
● abolish the Exchange Stabilization Fund—the Fed’s role is to stabilize the domestic price level, not to peg the foreign exchange value of the dollar; and
● repeal the tax on privately issued bank notes and allow digital currency and other substitutes for Federal Reserve notes to emerge, so that free-market forces can help shape the future of monetary institutions.

CATO is a great resource.

Ed Laskie on July 9, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Double standard but sadly no one cares. Now back to more MJ coverage!

RobCon on July 9, 2009 at 8:24 AM

RobCon on July 9, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Breaking News: He’s still dead.

Brat on July 9, 2009 at 8:54 AM

That was great, DeMint proved the Democrats are hypocrites (not that we didn’t know that already).

Torch on July 9, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Ed,

They are not the root of all evil but they hold primary responsibility for easy money policies which lead to our twin bubbles. Secondary responsibility is on the congress and this audit is a part of the necessary oversight on their part.

Bill C on July 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I understand the argument about Senators not necessarily making good presidents due to a lack of executive experience, but when that senator started and ran his own company for 15 years, it eliminates that negative.

I think at this stage, my choice for 2012 would be DeMint/Palin. Sarah, if she plays her cards right in the mean time, will have no problem drawing crowds. Jim has proven time and again that he has the side of truth and good governance, and if he can articulate that to the crowds Sarah draws, they could be a winning combination. Of course this depends greatly on enough of America waking up and smelling the socialism, in order to defeat the incumbent.

aelhues on July 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Yes, the “polished” Thugocracy rules!!!

DL13 on July 9, 2009 at 1:09 PM