Obama administration scare-mongering on airplane safety

posted at 10:24 am on July 8, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

As anyone who knows me can attest, I dislike flying intensely.  I do it, though, for two reasons.  One, there just isn’t any other way to travel practically in today’s business environment.  Taking three days to get somewhere on a train may feel nostalgic, but it’s a colossal waste of time, and it usually winds up costing more than a flight anyway.

Secondly, despite my white knuckles and perspiration-soaked shirt during the flight, I understand intellectually that flying is a remarkably safe mode of transportation.  There is a difference between fear and senselessness, a distinction apparently lost on the Obama administration, as David Harsanyi explains:

[W]hen LaHood berated me for suggesting that flying in a commercial airplane was a safe mode of transportation, I knew he was perfect for a Cabinet position.

In his best Illinois tough-guy form, LaHood was in the middle of grandstanding about the need for new regulations covering airlines and pilots, who, despite those imposing uniforms, according to LaHood, display the accountability of a pro athlete. And if airlines did not voluntarily hand over this personal information, Ray LaHood would make them do it.

When I asked LaHood if there was an outbreak of gruesome airline calamities that had somehow escaped my attention, he suggested I ask the relatives of those who died in a recent commuter jet accident about safety. Americans, he declared, were demanding more regulation. And he ended with a sarcastic quip, “I’m happy you feel safe.”

Oh, I do. Why wouldn’t I? There wasn’t a single U.S. airline passenger death due to an accident in 2007 and 2008, years in which commercial airliners carried 1.5 billion passengers. If you are a skateboarder, skier, pedestrian or train rider, your chances of dying are far higher.

This is the equivalent of Joe Biden getting on national television and telling people to stay off public transportation because they are incubators of disease.  We scoffed at Biden, and laughed with derision when Robert Gibbs attempted to claim that Biden didn’t mean what he’d said.  LaHood confirms that the Obama White House has become the Chicken Little Administration — the sky is always falling, in this case literally.

It goes beyond attempting to expand the federal grasp of personal information to American pilots, but let’s stay with that a moment.  As Harsanyi points out, each year over 700 cyclists die on the highway, a number far greater than in US airline-industry accidents in almost any year.  Auto accidents account for at least sixty times that number each year.  The airline industry flew over a billion passengers in 2007-8 and had zero fatalities.  That’s impressive, and demonstrates the incredible safety record of the industry, for which we can in large part thank the highly skilled, dedicated, professional men and women flying the aircraft that carry us from city to city — even when some of us are pushing our fingerprints permanently into the armrests.

To the larger point, LaHood should be defending this industry instead of screeching about falling skies and airplanes.  Why is he fomenting panic?  Because that’s what this administration does.  If a crisis doesn’t exist, they don’t have an entree to overhaul entire industries into state-controlled junior bureaucracies, complete with patronage jobs and political chits to recover.  The Obama administration has to be in constant Chicken Little mode in order to frighten us into acquiescing to their ideas of change.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Where’s the HOPE?

Laura in Maryland on July 8, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Commercial flight disasters looming… FDR went on TV in 1929 warning us about the same danger.

mankai on July 8, 2009 at 10:28 AM

We have a flying crisis. The current state of flying is unsustainable. If we don’t act now to pass this $1 trillion flying safety package…

Daggett on July 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Exploit the minority to influence the majority.

Applies to nearly every political position this administration (and democrats in general) have.

cntrlfrk on July 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM

The Uh-bama Administration needs a Panic Czar.

Cicero43 on July 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM

We have a little chicken for a president and he’s heading the most bird-brained administration in history.

backwoods conservative on July 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM

If one party controls the White House and both chambers of Congress (by large numbers) why must they forment panic to pass anything on their agenda?

Just be calm and go about your work. You’ve got the power and you’ve got the votes. Besides, it is not like the American public is going to be all that informed about what you are doing anyway.

myrenovations on July 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM

The answer for the obambi administration is always, more regulations, higher taxes and more government.

You know, the whole hammer and nail thing.

jukin on July 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Remeber Plank 6 of Marx’s Communist Manifesto is State control of all modes of transport. They’re just laying the ground work to nationalize the airline industry.

Pure evil manifesting itself inside the Beltway.

TheAdmiral on July 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I’m sure there are other (and better) references but How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer comes to mind because I just finished it. It’s not just 2007-8; the stat IIRC correctly is one serious airline accident since 2001. Astoundingly safe. This should be trumpeted.

LastRick on July 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM

backwoods conservative on July 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I love birds. I have birds as pets. My birds are insulted by your remark.

Daggett on July 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Another illinois politician, LaHood former congressmen based out of Peoria, IL, “serving” America.

WashJeff on July 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM

That’s not all that’s little about el presidente’s administration.

muy pequeño

jbh45 on July 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM

myrenovations on July 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Because the still need the people…they need to be re-elected and they want to be seen as “doing the peoples work”.
So they stir the pot, pass a bill and say “We have solved the peoples problems”.

right2bright on July 8, 2009 at 10:34 AM

The country’s in the very best of hands. /sarc

CP on July 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I have a complaint about airlines. They don’t serve the good bag of nuts anymore and the stewardess don’t seem as flirty.
(Perhaps I’m getting old)

Jeff from WI on July 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I’m of many opinions on this. On the one hand, I play golf with a couple of pilots. For safety’s sake, I make sure I drive the cart

On the other hand, the pilot, whether he cares about the safety of the passengers or not, is also on the plane. Unless the pilot is suicidal, I feel confident that he will want to land in one piece.

Then, like Ed, I look intellectually at the raw numbers which support the safety of flight over nearly any activity other than hiding under the bed covers.

Finally, on a spiritual note, when it’s your time to go, how can you protect yourself. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

genso on July 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM

The Uh-bama Administration needs a Panic Czar.

Cicero43 on July 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM

They already have one… Community Organizer in Chief

This is ALL fruits of his labor

gatorboy on July 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I love birds. I have birds as pets. My birds are insulted by your remark.

Daggett on July 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM

My apologies to your birds. Obviously they’re not the dodos I was referring to.

backwoods conservative on July 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Obama and his thugs are Bluto.

This is going to continue until this freaking country has it’s Popeye moment. “I’ve stands all I can stands… I can’t stands no more!”

Sadly, we’re apparently still in Whimpy stage.

Sugar Land on July 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Global warming crisis, alar apple crisis, red dye #2 crisis,
acid rain crisis, child safety seat crisis,peanut butter
crisis, bird flu crisis, pig flu crisis, ozone depletion crisis, can’t we all just die in peace?

fourdeucer on July 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I thought the Obama “administration” was supposed to move us beyond “fear”?

I guess that’s only regarding people who have killed Americans and vow to kill more. We’re not supposed to be afraid of them.

Whereas every single normal activity of the day (eating, drinking, smoking, transport, health care), must be regulated to the nth degree, by the corrupt and incompetent Obama “administration”.

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Hey wasn’t LaHood the guy who presided over Bill Clinton’s impeachment hearings? And where’s Hillary been lately?

If I didn’t know Obama was such a swell guy, I’d think he tries to stick a finger in the eye of everyone who who has ever opposed or annoyed him in any way.

forest on July 8, 2009 at 10:38 AM

LaHood is a politician from Illinois.

B.O. is a politician from Illinois.

Need I say more?

pilamaye on July 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I too hate flying. I’m in south Florida and my clients are in the midwest. I can leave early in the morning and arrive at my destination late at night driving. On the other hand, I have flown by leaving early in the morning, making one or two connecting flights, renting a car and then arriving late at night.

Oh, did I mention the bonus of NOT getting caught between flights (like 9/11) if something goes wrong and not being able to get anywhere…. or being able to take anything I want with me… or not having the rules change after I depart but before I return.

I’ve flown (and continue to) when I absolutely must but that is the only time.

CC

CapedConservative on July 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM

can’t we all just die in peace?

fourdeucer on July 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Yes…there is no arugula crisis!

WashJeff on July 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I tripped over a rug in the hall on the way to the computer. I blame Big Rug lobbyists for this.

Rhinoboy on July 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Team Obama is just trying to figure out,the best
way to tax the airline industry,because you know
that way,Pelosi can own,Government Air Services,
and ride in any plane she wants!Then Team Liberal manufactures an Airline bailout scam!!(Sarc).

Ed`s right,Lefty`s are hopping from manufactured
Crisis to Crisis,with the occasional distraction!!

canopfor on July 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM

At what point do we break out the torches and pitchforks?

Aitch748 on July 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

They don’t serve the good bag of nuts anymore
Jeff from WI on July 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM

You can thank the trial lawyers for that.

MarkTheGreat on July 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I guess Sully should be considered a lucky guy, instead of a hero. This Administration believes (with the media help) that Americans are short minded and don’t remember what happened yesterday. With Michael Jackson being crowned a hero and now Sully being kicked aside as a “pro athlete with no accountability”, our values are being replaced by what the Administration thinks our values should be.

djaymick on July 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 10:38 AM

silly rabbit… :-)

cmsinaz on July 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Don’t forget all of the fine folks who maintain those planes, Ed. They’re just as important.

Del Dolemonte on July 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

forest on July 8, 2009 at 10:38 AM

No. LaHood was the evil mine owner in “Pale Rider”.

CC

CapedConservative on July 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Rhinoboy on July 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM

lol

Jeff from WI on July 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM

You should do a tandem skydive, Ed. First, your chances of dying in a plane crash are halved when you only take the ride to altitude, then leave. Second, once you land with your tandem master under canopy you will never look at flying the same. You will never look at the sky and clouds the same because you have been there and there you long to return.

SKYFOX on July 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM

This is the “facepalm” administration. Just about everything they’ve done outside of deciding to keep Bush policies, such as on Iraq and detainment of combatants, has been embarrassing on several levels.

LaHood completely missing the point about the difference between private commuter planes, which have a questionable safety record, and large airliners, which have an EXCELLENT safety record in this country, is a microcosm of the administration, IMHO.

teke184 on July 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM

WHO was known as the “Fear Monger” again?

Guardian on July 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Obama: “My sky is falling! My sky is falling!”

CynicalOptimist on July 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Hasn’t Lahood had to retract a couple of bonehead statements about taxing mileage? I’m not sure if the intent here is fear, it’s just an unintended consequence of the rampant stupidity from these unqualified blowhards.

I look forward to the airline’s response to this idiot.

sherry on July 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM

They don’t serve the good bag of nuts anymore
Jeff from WI on July 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM

You can thank the trial lawyers for that.

MarkTheGreat on July 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Oh thank God the comment was from you. For a minute I thought I goofed and left an opening for Athensboy.
Darn, I did it again!

Jeff from WI on July 8, 2009 at 10:42 AM

You know, the whole hammer and nail thing.

jukin on July 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Don’t you mean hammer and sickle?

JustTruth101 on July 8, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Among the many severe irritations in this whole story is the fact that Transportation Secretary LaHood is a Republican. What has become of my party? :(

jwolf on July 8, 2009 at 10:42 AM

WashJeff on July 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Rahm Emanual, Obama, LaHood- Street thugs all. They should be serving time in Joliet. That’s how America could be helped.

highhopes on July 8, 2009 at 10:43 AM

BTW, LaHood is a Republican, allegedly. His Wikipedia bio says he was one of only three House Republicans that didn’t sign the Contract w/ America back in ’94 and he has a poor record when it comes to economic conservatism.

CP on July 8, 2009 at 10:43 AM

genso on July 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Best remark I ever heard was a pilot’s response to the safety issue-he said if the plane crashes, he gets there 50 feet before his passengers do.

Del Dolemonte on July 8, 2009 at 10:43 AM

They’re no longer flying the friendly skies…and those SW airline rappers are just silly. And…and, I’m tired of the stupid bags of peanuts and/or crackers.

And…and, what the heck, am I a magnet for 300 pound passengers? Do I have a sign on my forehead that says, “dawgs, if you weight 300 or more pounds come sit by me”? And…and don’t get me started on cranky babies….

jbh45 on July 8, 2009 at 10:43 AM

This administration must float these statements to verify to that no one is paying attention or gives a hoot.

Most of the drones are not one bit attuned, and/or are a bunch of ignoramuses.

How else did he get elected?

tru2tx on July 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM

But But adding lots of new government regulations, bureaucrats and charging people more to fly will help prevent deaths. Look at all those crowds demanding change. Look at the massive protests over passenger safety.
This is something we neeeeeed

/Sarc off

LincolntheHun on July 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM

They don’t serve the good bag of nuts anymore
Jeff from WI on July 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM

How long before they ban alcohol because it offends Muslims passengers?

Although at $6.00 for a can o’ beer, they’ve pretty much banned it already.

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 10:45 AM

can’t we all just die in peace?

fourdeucer on July 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM

[comment deleted by author to prevent black helicopters]

Daggett on July 8, 2009 at 10:46 AM

highhopes on July 8, 2009 at 10:43 AM

You’re going to need a bigger prison for IL politicians. maybe a prison and state capital can use the same facilities.

WashJeff on July 8, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Yeah, nationalize air transportation. It will make me feel so much safer when flying.

Daggett on July 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Looks to me like Congress critters and Senate scum aren’t afeered of flying.

Travel up x10 since 1997, double in last two years?

Pelooser flyin back a forth to Californica so often she creates her own jet stream?

I call Bullsh..!

dhunter on July 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 10:45 AM

don’t forget the $7 for the pillow and blanket sleep pack…Ugh

Thanks USAIR! /sarc

cmsinaz on July 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Is this prevailing gloom and doom scenario their winning strategy? We need to get some rational people into Congress in 2010 but the Right is looking pretty ineffective at this point.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM

How long before they ban alcohol because it offends Muslims passengers?

Although at $6.00 for a can o’ beer, they’ve pretty much banned it already.

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 10:45 AM

LOL..true.The trick is,.as someone from the Milwaukee area can tell you, is never get sober. You’ll save money until you get to your destination.

Jeff from WI on July 8, 2009 at 10:49 AM

WashJeff on July 8, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Evacuate DC of its civilian population and then just wall it off. An impenetrable dome would be even better. I’d settle for a bio-dome if you really want to let them be self-sustaining.

Aw, to heck with it. I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

Daggett on July 8, 2009 at 10:49 AM

highhopes

Hey, my dad did time in Joliet. Don’t denigrate a fine institution by putting that level of scum there. There will be lots of room at Gitmo soon.

SKYFOX on July 8, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I think the answer to the airline safety question is obvious. GPS in every car.

LibTired on July 8, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Jeff from WI on July 8, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Not much of a trick for someone from the state that has two taverns in every village….staying sober is more of a trick. Sorry, you opened the door, dawg.

jbh45 on July 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Daggett on July 8, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Sounds like a seed for a script to Escape from DC. It’s been around 20 plus years since Escape from NY, so timing is about right. As long as the pols in the dome feel they are making a difference, they will be content in their dome.

WashJeff on July 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I think by next year, pledging to undo all of the things Democrats have f’ed up since Bammy got elected, will be enough.

And prosecuting, convicting and jailing as many Democrat politicians as possible.

Because that’s going to take YEARS.

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Hey, my dad did time a lot convicts in Joliet. Don’t denigrate a fine institution by putting that level of scum there. There will be lots of room at Gitmo soon.

SKYFOX on July 8, 2009 at 10:50 AM

FIFY

jbh45 on July 8, 2009 at 10:53 AM

There will be lots of room at Gitmo soon.

SKYFOX on July 8, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Too nice. Remmeber they have that nice beach per the Miss Venzuela.

WashJeff on July 8, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Global warming crisis, alar apple crisis, red dye #2 crisis,
acid rain crisis, child safety seat crisis,peanut butter

fourdeucer on July 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM

And we must remember that Three Mile Island and the China Sydrome set the tone for this “never-ending” environmental crisis, that has set this nation’s energy policies backwards for thirty years.

Rovin on July 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM

djaymick on July 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I’m glad you brought up Sully. Pilots are the most regulated of all industries. They have to get proficiency tests in general flying, they have to get type tests in the particular plane they are flying, and they have to get medical tests once every 6 months.

If you have ANY history of something bad, you won’t get a job. If you have a SPEEDING TICKET DRIVING, you won’t get a job flying an airplane. If you have BACK TROUBLE you won’t get a job flying an airplane.

Pilots are some of the finest people on the planet. Go to any airport in the country and go to the pilot lounge. Sit and listen to them talk for a couple of hours and you’ll discover how lucky we are to have them in command of these multi-ton flying beasts.

Pilots are sharp. LaHood. . . or whatever his name is must not know sharp when he sees it.

ThackerAgency on July 8, 2009 at 10:56 AM

These utopian fools so desperately want to remove every single stinking negative in human life that they will in fact, ultimately destroy every good thing with it.

But hey, it’s about the intentions…

katy on July 8, 2009 at 10:57 AM

jbh45 on July 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM

LOL..Please be accurate, that’s two taverns to every block

Jeff from WI on July 8, 2009 at 10:57 AM

on top of proficiency tests, pilots have to get THOUSANDS OF HOURS of flight time in a co-pilot seat before they even get a chance to move to the pilot seat. I’m wondering what regulation exactly Lahood wants to add to their routine of tests.

ThackerAgency on July 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I never understand the “airline crashes” VS “automobile crashes” comparison, usually given to trumpet the safety of airline travel.

How many automobiles are there? Now, how many commercial airplanes are there?

Of course there are going to be more automobile crashes, when compared to airplanes. Dumb comparison, in my opinion.

I for one am not very confident in the airlines, and that confidence is eroding more and more, especially with the state of the economy, and the way businesses might be trying to cut back costs. I don’t want an airline I fly on to skimp on anything. Especially something that is going to ensure the plane’s stability. But you never know where they are cutting back.

Sterling Holobyte on July 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM

ThackerAgency on July 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Perhaps just a simple oath of allegiance…to the power of this administration to regulate.

genso on July 8, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Because that’s going to take YEARS.

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM

We’d need a stimulus package just to build that many prisons, NoDonk, but this does produce the argument for emptying Gitmo.

Rovin on July 8, 2009 at 11:01 AM

WashJeff on July 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Escape from DC runs every weekday evening, into Maryland, across the Roosevelt and Memorial Bridges. In cars and in the Metro Cars that killed a few people last week.

And it lasts five or six hours.

Build more roads? Can’t do that. We all need to live close in and no new development.

So 900 foot square foot condos go for $300K and up, near the Capitol.

Who does that benefit? Not anyone with an income below a million.

I’m so glad I escaped the DC hellhole and moved to Texas. Where $300K can get you an actual house on actual land, because Texas hasn’t allowed Democrats to screw things up (at least yet).

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Too nice. Remmeber they have that nice beach per the Miss Venzuela.

WashJeff on July 8, 2009

Possibly, but I understand Turkish prisons aren’t accepting new “members” and we have to put them somewhere.

SKYFOX on July 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM

If you haven’t already seen it, there is a funny bumper sticker over at Instapundit. I like your optimism about someone somewhere thinking that the Dems are doing anything illegal.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2009 at 11:03 AM

They’re dramatically overreaching. The boy who cried wolf EVERY DAY about EVERY INDUSTRY. The jig us juuuuuust about up. Obama’s credibility has been used up because he leveraged it to much too soon. Had he done tax cuts instead of stimulus, he could have done Healthcare AND Cap and Trade. He gambled that the CRISIS would give him enough “juice” to get everything done. Unfortunately for him and the nutty libs, people are waking up.

marklmail on July 8, 2009 at 11:03 AM

ThackerAgency on July 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I’m sure a few more bucks to Bammy’s re-election campaign along with an endorsement, will VASTLY improve airline safety.

It’s so easy to predict how Democrat scum operates.

NoDonkey on July 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM

But you never know where they are cutting back.

Sterling Holobyte on July 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM

That’s what the pilot is for. No Pilot in command would EVER take off in a plane that they even remotely thought was outside of the regs mechanically.

You know when you get ready to take off and they say, we are delayed due to mechanical condition? The odds are that the plane could take off and be fine. . . the delay is for the REDUNDANT system to be fixed – just in case.

ThackerAgency on July 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM

The airline industry is safe

I mean

airbuses suck and I avoid them

but it’s still safe

blatantblue on July 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM

My hubby works for an airline, and we knew it would only be a matter of time, before Obama, and his goons came after airlines. This control issue of Obamas is rediculous. What was he? 30? Before he mastered the potty?

capejasmine on July 8, 2009 at 11:06 AM

If only Obama could run the airlines the way the govt currently runs everything else, like the DMV, what bliss!

JustTruth101 on July 8, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Hey Ed, Have tried a scopolamine patch for flying? Worked a charm for my wife, and my arm is beginning to heal too..

Republican Yogi on July 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM

mankai on July 8, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I can understand this if it were 1929. The airlines were just getting started in the 1910′s and 1920′s. Fear of the unknown is easily understood, but after 80 years, fear needs to be thrown out the window.

jeridhill on July 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Yeah, I want the Ogabe administration making decisions for the airlines, that will inspire confidence that things are going to be well-run.

Bishop on July 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Whenever I fly, I make it a point to save up a big nasty fart for the flight. then I let it rip right at the doorway when I board, so that everyone has a pleasant welcome to the flight.

lorien1973 on July 8, 2009 at 11:10 AM

lorien1973 on July 8, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Your talents have no end.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM

lorien1973 on July 8, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I’m not a fan of over regulation, but this is the sort of thing that needs to be regulated.

myrenovations on July 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Obama wants less air travel so there is more room for him to cruise around in Scare Force One.

fourdeucer on July 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I don’t really worry about crashing

I worry about a bomb in the cargo

blatantblue on July 8, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Having been around aviation my whole life, I have to say it is probably the second most regulated industry in the United States, right behind the pharmaceutical industry.

Aviation is one of the greatest expressions of freedom that human beings have ever created. That is why the control freaks currently in power want to clamp it down.

ZenDraken on July 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

fourdeucer on July 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM

He really, really doesn’t want anyone to leave his new paradise.

genso on July 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

This administration and all associated with it are all about power.

I am so sick of their power hungry fear tactics, I can barely stand it.

ORconservative on July 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

The shine is wearing off the new penny…fresh from today’s Rasmussen tracking poll:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 32% of the nation’s voters now Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Thirty-seven percent (37%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of –5.

The number who strongly disapprove inched up another point to the highest level measured to date and the overall Approval Index is at the lowest level yet for Obama (see trends).

In the wake of last week’s disappointing report on job loss, consumer confidence has fallen to the lowest level in two months. The Rasmussen Investor Index shows investor confidence falling to the lowest level in three months. The number of investors who say the economy is getting worse jumped from 43% before the jobs report to 51% today.

The Presidential Approval Index is calculated by subtracting the number who Strongly Disapprove from the number who Strongly Approve. It is updated daily at 9:30 a.m. Eastern (sign up for free daily e-mail update). Updates also available on Twitter.

Overall, 52% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President’s performance so far. Yesterday and today are the first time that the number of voters who approve of the President’s performance has slipped below the 53% share of the vote he won last November. Forty-eight percent (48%) now disapprove.

SouthernGent on July 8, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I must admit I haven’t flown since 1981. I flew to El Paso from Houston and we landed in a severe lightning storm. Before flying back I bought a Rosary and it helped. Never flew again.

fourdeucer on July 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Daggett on July 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Remember what Daschle said, “If you want to professionalize, you must federalize.”

MarkTheGreat on July 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM

***
The government has always had a disdain for pilots–probably jealousy. They refuse to arm the pilots in a rational way–most pilots are ex-military–and are not dummies.
***
It shouldn’t take more than a few hours to give all pilots a short course in how to shoot a terrorist 6 feet away in the cockpit entry doorway with a revolver–with special bullets to kill only the terrorists.
***
However, the pilots will have to do UNARMED HAND TO HAND COMBAT if another 9/11/2001 attack occurs. Political “correctness” doesn’t mean anything here–the pilot can kill everyone on board easily if he wants to. Your life is in his or her hands once that plane leaves the ground.
***
The dissing of the flight attendants also ticks me off. These people are there to maintain order and save lives in the event of a crash landing and evacuation of the plane. They are crew–not waiters and waitresses–although they do this job also.
***
The Left Wing Media comments about Governor Sarah Palin looking like a “sleazy stewardess” was very insulting to the Sarah’Cuda and to the people who keep us safe on these flights.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on July 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM

big nasty fart….

lorien 1973 on July 8,2009 at 11:10AM.

lorien 1973: An Iraqy, mid-air, gas attack,haha,sounds like
a plot by KAOS,from Get Smart!!:)

canopfor on July 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Why is he fomenting panic?

Because the only way government knows to quell panic is with $$$$!

taznar on July 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM

You know, the whole hammer and nail thing.

jukin on July 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM