Videos: Dueling Obamanations

posted at 6:52 pm on July 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, I got this video from HA reader Frank P, who promised that it would get comments galore and cheers from the Hot Air crowd. Ed Montana’s “Obamanation” apparently hit YouTube a couple of weeks ago, but hasn’t gotten much attention. It’s pretty catchy, even if the meter struggles in a couple of the verses. The chorus will stick with you, especially if (like me) you like country music:

However, Frank actually sent me the raw video rather than the YouTube link, and I decided to check first to see if Ed Montana had it loaded already. Indeed he did, but a search on “Obamanation song” at YT also produced another song of the same title by a young woman named Ash Soular from last October. After reading the name and seeing the initial image, I figured it must have been a paean to Hopenchange, but looks in this case are definitely deceiving. Instead of a treacly tribute song, Ash gives us an Alanis Morrissette-tinged opposition anthem for the younger voters at Hot Air:

How the heck did we miss this before the election? I’d love to hear what Ms. Soular has to say about life in the Obama Era now. I’d like to hear her sing about it even more.

Which Obamanation do you like best?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

WOW – Some of the kids these days are so talented! ROCK ON..
Totally threw me for a loop with the electric solo. Love it.

saus on July 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM

HondaV65, you wrote that a little too well. You’re scaring the children.

“Daddy was joking, now go upstairs and finish your homework.”

- The Cat

MirCat on July 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Oh whew, Honda had me going there.

LOL!!!!

Yakko77 on July 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Hey, Ed darlin.. a lot of us found Ash’s video when she posted it. I’m surprised nobody turned you guys onto it. I think it would be great if you could interview her. Can you do that? Let us know.

MsU

MsUnderestimated on July 8, 2009 at 12:42 AM

In fact, check out Ash playing Santana:

She’s QUITE talented!

MsUnderestimated on July 8, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Both are great. Ash Soular needs a new Taylor acoustic. Her current one is tinny. Loved her solo on the Les Paul.

shick on July 8, 2009 at 1:03 AM

I was suprised to see that Ash was getting most of the votes. I am not a fan of current country more old school stuff like Cash, Haggard, etc so she had a edge already but I loved the electic riff in the middle of the song. Her vocals seem pretty raw but this is a rough cut so I will give her the benefit of the doubt. We need more like her though.

closetgop on July 8, 2009 at 1:06 AM

I liked his mustache and her long hair. Can I say I loved her solo on the Les Paul again?

shick on July 8, 2009 at 1:20 AM

And there you have it – people from all walks of life realize what a nincompoop Oblama is! My teenage sons loved Ash and even understood her without the subtitles. I enjoyed, and understood, Ed’s catchy tune and The Cadillac Ranch scenes! Rock on America!

redwhiteblue on July 8, 2009 at 1:27 AM

1st song +1

2nd song +100

astuddis on July 8, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Like both, but would only want to listen to her song once – a too much angst and length. She would be good for the kiddies.

The country one could be heard again and again; it’s pleasant enough.

atheling on July 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM

They’re both excellent, not good, excellent.

I voted for both, because I like em both. But the second one, as Ed points out, is hauntingly prophetic, and I hope she gets an interview on Fox News out of this — I certainly want to know how she predicted everything so accurately…

Danzo on July 8, 2009 at 3:37 AM

Ed! I haven’t read all the posts previous to mine, so if I am repeating someone, forgive me… get her on the Ed Morrissey show! I want to know how this young lady figured this out. Youth usually doesn’t have a good handle on things political, because the world is so complex. I’d like to know if a parent had these ideas or they were her own, and if her own, I’m flabbergasted.

Danzo on July 8, 2009 at 3:45 AM

Hey Ed!

Kevin McCullough was talking a few months back about putting together an XPAC to augment CPAC.

If XPAC happens Ash should be on stage.

mad saint jack on July 8, 2009 at 4:27 AM

I voted both. Completely different moods and both are called for.

Shy Guy on July 8, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Both are pretty fine. Ash was spot on and her perception is accurate. The American Voting Public failed to do any homework before going to the polls last November.

That should be a lesson learned for 2010. A lame duck Obama is what I’m pulling for. This lap dog Congress needs some serious thinning out on both sides of the aisle. Obamanation is a failure and holds no promise of improving.

old trooper2 on July 8, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Ash is great, but how did she learn about conservatism while spending 24/7 learning to play the guitar during her teen years?

Coronagold on July 8, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Ok, the guitar solo floored me, this girl can actually play.
Both songs were great.

nelsonknows on July 8, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Really wanted to vote for Ed since country music is about all I listen to anymore. But Sweet Ash got my vote. Primarily for originality and her soulful performance. I sensed that she truly “felt” the lyrics and the electric guitar solo reminded me of a fine Nugent riff. Then again, da girl’s awful easy on da eyes, thus appealing to my darker angels. Anyway, it’s refreshing to see at least one young person “gets it”, and I know she’s not alone.

TXUS on July 8, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Oh, gross. Even as a lonely, horny single dad that girl makes me want to puke. She’s on par with Meghan McCain — which I suppose explains why she’s here on HA.

Daggett on July 7, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I guess that’s why Baskin Robbins has 32 different flavors…

CynicalOptimist on July 8, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Coronagold on July 8, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Some people can walk and chew gum.

unclesmrgol on July 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I think my impressions agree with some above.

I’m not a country fan, but the first one was good.

The second was ok until that wicked guitar solo.

Good stuff, all around, but I voted for #2.

ConDem on July 8, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Gals with long dark hair that can shred a Les Paul are really hot… /splashes water on face

Wyznowski on July 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Ash has a nice voice, but she needs someone else to play the guitar! Great message though and nice to see some young people have their heads screwed on.

Dino64 on July 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Although she plays a better lead guitar than a rhythm guitar. She should stay away from acoustics!

Dino64 on July 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Ed Montana is da man!

Dino64 on July 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Ed, thanks for posting my suggestion on Ed Montana, but wow what a great find in Ash! I’m glad we found a couple of treasures in these two people to give us a voice through their music as we struggle to be heard.

As others have pointed out I think someone with some clout (you fine folks here at HA) should forward these to Hannity et al, have them on HA for an interview, etc. to get their musical message out to the people of this nation as it could strike a chord (no pun intended) with those that are beggining to have doubts about THE ONE and bring them to the GOP side in 2010 and 2012.

Thanks again Ed for posting this and for finding Ash!

Liberty or Death on July 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Coronagold on July 8, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Well if she was learnignthe guitar 24/7, that doesn’t leave much time to be indoctrinated by the state run school system. The human spirit naturally wants individuality and liberty (read: Consevatism).

I voted for Ash though both songs are pretty good. I am not a big country fun but the chorus is pretty catchy there. The guitar solo and pained alternative style vocals of Ash’s song put her over the top for me. It went on a little too long and could obviously benefit from a bit more production but I definitely like it and it captures the mood I am in right now because of this Obamanation perfectly.

Daemonocracy on July 8, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Voted for both songs, but damn if that wasn’t a smokin’ solo on the Les Paul.

crazy_legs on July 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Liked both. Voted for both. They each appeal to some kind of demographic.

Driefromseattle on July 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM

When my friends and I are done in the studio

I’m asking her to come “record” with me

blatantblue on July 7, 2009 at 8:12 PM

If you need an engineer…..

CurtZHP on July 7, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Call me!

;>

soundingboard on July 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM

HondaV65, you wrote that a little too well. You’re scaring the children.

“Daddy was joking, now go upstairs and finish your homework.”

- The Cat

MirCat on July 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Yea…the way he channeled JG was spooky.

soundingboard on July 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Oh…and about the actual thread topic.

Tho I’m a big fan of country, Ash got my vote.
But some here are right, she needed to trim about a minute off her song. And do more on the electric.

And if I was 20 years younger, I would go totally lorien on her.

I got a fevah…and the only prescription is…more Ash!

soundingboard on July 8, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Friggin’ Alanis Morrissette. Makes millions off the most grating songs, including one about “irony” with no examples of actual irony. Is that, in fact, the irony?

cackcon on July 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Meeting at work today… Our Co. is applying for a few million in stim money. We make batteries. On of the young engineers was at my table. After the talky part, during the pizza part, he brought up the ‘who is going to pay for all this stimulus’ question…
80% libs at work. I started singing the Who… “Ripping Off My Generation” (it just kinda came to me).
I’ll be writing that one out and maybe getting my grandkids to sing it with me for video. If I do, I’ll post it and link. Definitely writes itself that one.

RalphyBoy on July 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM

“Yes I’m a right wing conservative extremist,” sung in mellow country tones.
I have to just grin at that.
The second one is more my style, though. Wish she had better recording equipment.

Count to 10 on July 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

liked them both, but I have to say that the lady plays a mean axe! me likey!

jdsmith0021 on July 8, 2009 at 7:48 PM