Video: Promises, promises

posted at 1:30 pm on July 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Kevin McCullough puts together a collection of clips that have been played in several formats over the last week or so since the White House press corps started laughing at Robert Gibbs on taxes and President Obama’s pledge to cut them for everyone but the rich. While Gibbs stammered out that Obama would like to avoid tax hikes, Kevin supplies just a handful of the relevant absolute denials of tax hikes from Candidate Obama over the past two years:

Hope and Change! This goes with Fred Hiatt’s column earlier today, in which he correctly diagnoses Obama’s free-spending policies as a way to get across-the-board tax hikes in the back door. Gibbs’ fade on Obama’s promise is just the first step of a primrose path that will see government take wartime chunks of the GDP in order to nationalize industries and dictate individual choice as far as Obama can push them.

Comments

Everywhere you look, frogs are stunned that they were attempting to carry a scorpion across the river.

Mr. D on July 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

What a nut-job.

He ran on lowering taxes. He turned out to be a SOCIALIST-MARXIST one-term pres.

My philosophy is” “Every generation needs a Jimmy Carter.” – to wake it up.

stenwin77 on July 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM

And nobody, not here at HA, not in the sycophantic media, ever raises the most elementary of criticisms :

All this administrative and congressional activity is illegal – ‘illegal’ as in ‘violates the supreme law of the land’.

LimeyGeek on July 6, 2009 at 1:37 PM

In other news Pinocchio is no longer the record holder of longest nose catagory in Guinness.

Limerick on July 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I love the juxtaposition. Too bad the press conference audio isn’t that great, though…

Black Yoshi on July 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM

How does that saying go? Lies, damned lies and the liars who tell them?

Guardian on July 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM

My philosophy is” “Every generation needs a Jimmy Carter.” – to wake it up.

stenwin77 on July 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I like it, but in this case we have two Jimmah’s: JC#1 is advising BHO…that’s two Jimmah’s for the price of one.

bluelightbrigade on July 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Obama falling,
Palin rising.

And only six months for the tide to turn.

fogw on July 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Hey Kev, great video, but could you move the mouse out of the screen the next time you do a video?

But still, lie lies lies yeah. That’s hope and change.

Optimism Opium.

therightscoop on July 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM

“Promises” would have made a better song for the video.

Count to 10 on July 6, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Barry Hussein is definately a one-termer. This narcissistic moron wont get another term…we just have to try to figure out how to survive the remaining 3 and 1/2 years.

He ran on tax cuts tax cuts tax cuts…you wont see your taxes raise not one dime if you make less than 250,000 a year..now he wants to tax healthcare benefits, raise taxes to fund Obamacare Socialized Shitcare, cap and trade is a massive tax that we will all bear…what a lying sack of crap.

1 vote for Impeachment…

Jackson1227 on July 6, 2009 at 1:42 PM

It’s only “lying” if BH Hopenchange was smart enough to know what he was doing. As Biden admitted on ABC’s “This Week,” he and Barry didn’t know. They were just saying what they were told to say and what the undereducated wanted to hear.

Tom_OC on July 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM

My philosophy is” “Every generation needs a Jimmy Carter.” – to wake it up. stenwin77 on July 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM

bho is my 2nd J. Carter. It’s “interesting” to watch the ship sink but then I remember that I’m on it too. It’s like watching a train wreck but I’m on the train.

Mojave Mark on July 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM

250?

What they really meant was that if you make less than $2.50/yr

Chainsaw56 on July 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM

You might think I’m crazy, sometimes I wonder myself. But I think he was put in the oval office by socialists as a one term presidents on purpose, specifically to put forth as many socialist programs as possible before he is booted out.

rollthedice on July 6, 2009 at 1:44 PM

gibbs definitely gives all new meaning to laughter medicine.what a joke….

SHARPTOOTH on July 6, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Commentary

Limerick on July 6, 2009 at 1:44 PM

My philosophy is” “Every generation needs a Jimmy Carter.” – to wake it up.

stenwin77 on July 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM

It would be easier if schools just taught history.

Oh that’s right, the liberals that run the schools pefer the people remain ignorant.

shick on July 6, 2009 at 1:47 PM

How does that saying go? Lies, damned lies and the liars who tell them?

Guardian on July 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Unfortunately there are at least two more elements:
1) Lies
2) Damned lies
3) The liars who tell them
4) The media whores who provide cover and distraction (“Hey…Look over there at Michelle’s arms!”)
5) Misguided and/or uninformed voters

Tom_OC on July 6, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Mojave Mark on July 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Yeah, this whole thing would make a pretty good comedy about how a group of Demonrats trying to destroy a one great nation – if it weren’t real.

Sadly, we’ll all be fondly remembering Carter and Clinton as great statesmen compared to BHO.

Chainsaw56 on July 6, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Look at the bright side – it took 76 years for us to elect the worst president of the 20th century, and we are getting the worst one of the 21st century out of the way in the first decade.

Vashta.Nerada on July 6, 2009 at 1:51 PM

My philosophy is” “Every generation needs a Jimmy Carter.” – to wake it up.

stenwin77 on July 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM

My quote of the day……..

If it weren’t for Jimmy Carter, we would have never gotten Ronald Reagan

Knucklehead on July 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Maybe Obama is planning on the 2012 election being all about his wonderful foreign policy?

myrenovations on July 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Save this for the upcoming campaign!!!

mpax on July 6, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Save this for the upcoming campaign!!!

mpax on July 6, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I’m sure they are. A chimpanzee could run the 2012 GOP campaign. The ads will be that easy to make.

Doughboy on July 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Now if we only had some honest people in the government that stands behind Obama, we could now be properly trying bho for treason. Instead we get to spend the next 20+ years undoing the damage that he’s done in 6 months time.

Thanks all you ignorant asshat yobama voters.

Spiritk9 on July 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM

1 vote for Impeachment…

Jackson1227 on July 6, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I hope you’re right but I’m not so sure. After the amnesty bill is law, ACORN will have 20 million new democrats signed up the next day.

Alabama Infidel on July 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM

2012 slogan: ObamaNever Again.

BuckeyeSam on July 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Doughboy on July 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Yes, but interviews will still be necessary to weed out the McCain operatives from the chimpanzees.

BuckeyeSam on July 6, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Well, there’s a reason he gets away with THIS particular lie — republican guilt over President Bush ’41. The democrats had a heyday over that, but of course, they had the media on their team even then. But Bush Sr. really did this too.

I guess I am saying that all that will happen over this particular issue is everyone hating lying politicians (maybe the newer generation needs to grasp how much they all do it) instead of taking Obama to task.

This, by no means, is going to be the “wake-up” issue that will cause the masses to turn on Obama.

What WILL do it is when the media, that is a series of reporters who still have a conscience, start to write about the massive power grab and how our constitution is being trampled on. I suspect the Zelaya situation is God nudging America to wake up. Whether we continue to snooze, is up to us.

Danzo on July 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I’ll repeat a comment I made on the Zelaya thread:

I think the absolutely worse thing about the Left is their lying. It is the root of all their evil deeds.

They know they cannot get into power if they tell the truth about who they are, what they think and what their intentions are.

They have no desire to get out the facts or to present them objectively. The ends always justifies any means. (Yes, straight from Alinsky, whether they realize it or not, however, IMHO, Obama & Co. are some of those who realize it and do it purposefully).

Not to say some of the R’s don’t do that as well, but the Left is just absolutely twisted about truth, from the big names to the minions on the web.

It’s certainly appropriate that Alinsky dedicated Rules For Radicals to Lucifer, whom Jesus called a liar and the father of lies.

INC on July 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM

2012 slogan: Obama–Never Again.

BuckeyeSam on July 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Make it so:

izoneguy on July 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM

myrenovations on July 6, 2009

Let me distract you from our dire domestic situation by focusing your attention on our foreign policy…er, well, uh…how about a nice hopenchange cookie?

SKYFOX on July 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Oh good grief. Who didn’t know that was a lie as soon as he said it? Who didn’t see tax increases coming? He’s a DEMOCRAT.

capitalist piglet on July 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Doughboy on July 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM

BuckeyeSam on July 6, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Who best but Sarah to be the weed wacker?

izoneguy on July 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM

The koolaid drinkers will just say that lying is what all politicians do, so Republicans or Conservatives will not be any better and on top of that they hate the poor and start needless wars, etc. They will also say it’s only because Republicans and Conservatives screwed things up so badly that Obama is forced away from his promise. It will take spending to fix things and then we will end up in paradise.

aikidoka on July 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Obama will not be held accountable for his lies. He and his media puppets will say that Bush left things so bad that they have no choice to raise taxes. They will say that money wasted on two wars should have been used for domestic policies and needs and that those wars have not made us safer, but created more enemies of America. They will say that Republicans only complain about money when it is spent helping the people because what neo-cons love most is giving corporations and rich guys tax breaks and war.

Jvette on July 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM

capitalist piglet on July 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I knew it, you knew it – 52% of Americans were Obamtized….
And Obama wants to Obamacize the rest.

izoneguy on July 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM

aikidoka on July 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM

You must have a great mind, because I’ve always been told that great minds think alike. LOL

Jvette on July 6, 2009 at 2:10 PM

capitalist piglet on July 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Well we’ll have to wait and see whose taxes are raised and by how much. While I can’t say I’m shocked he’s breaking this campaign promise, I did think he’d attempt to soak the rich first before going after the middle class.

Doughboy on July 6, 2009 at 2:11 PM

It’s actually quite simple. Watch this AGAIN, but this time note exactly WHO are the supporters behind Obama, those gullible, er, ah trusting citizens that will constantly be duped because their understanding of politics and history is er, ah, let’s say this nicely,lacking.

Jeff from WI on July 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM

petunia on July 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Good stuff. The RNC should be the one making these ads. Quote the mofo, then contrast that with his real plans.

El_Terrible on July 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I notice that there are many assertions in this thread of Obama being a one term Prez. With Holder at Justice I’ve heard nary a word on the 14 voter fraud cases against ACORN, which lends me to beleive it likely that they will go nowhere and be dropped. Add to this several billions of dollars available to ACORN through various programs in the 787 billion stimulus bill and what is looking to be their taking the lead role in the upcoming 2010 census, do you really thgink we will be given the opportunity to vote Obama out?

This coupled with the supposed “grass-roots” effort to repeal the 22nd amendment, spells the makings of a a tyrant for life!

Archimedes on July 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Precisely why we have the 2nd Amendment…

SDPlissken on July 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Excellent. To bad it can’t play on nationwide TV. Like if ABC were to devote an hour and play it over and over in primetime. petunia on July 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Well there’s the rub now ain’t it?

Air America failed because fascism cannot withstand unfiltered public debate.

However, fascists get elected because the MSM filters reality for the voting public.

Akzed on July 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM

In 2008 some Obamabot was posting the same blog posts on local Fox News blogs around the country… he was trying to argue that Obama is a centrist tax-cutter (for most of us) and that the “95%” should vote for him.

I mocked him to scorn and told him flat out that BHO was lying (I also argued that water is wet… no great insights on my part)… but all the lefties jumped in to GUARANTEE the tax cuts, etc.

THE POINT: These people don’t give a tinker’s dam about tax policy. He knows he can lie until the cows come home and they won’t call him on it. They won’t hold him accountable so long as he delivers “free” stuff to them. They have no principles except obtaining power, stealing from the productive and living morally devoid lives… tax policy talk is merely used to fool the 3-4% they need to win elections.

mankai on July 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Precisely why we have the 2nd Amendment…
SDPlissken on July 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Uh huh. Who exactly are you going to shoot? Tell me. I’m an NRA member so don’t call me a troll or anything, I just want to know, under what circumstances would you shoot a state trooper or ACORN canvassser or BATF goon or whatever? Give me the scenario, and how that will fix things.

Akzed on July 6, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I heard Bob Beckel already make the Clinton-esque defense of the inevitable raising of taxes. It is along the lines that Obama has done everything that he has to not raise taxes and will continue to do so. It will be the Congress that will push the increase in taxes, not the office of the president. Therefore, the campaign pledge that Obama will not raise taxes will be true-it will be the Congress who raises taxes against the public wishes of the president. The next question would be whether the president would veto such legislation.

BTW, did you know Michael Jackson died?

cyclown on July 6, 2009 at 3:02 PM

capitalist piglet on July 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I know! Who believed him?

thebrokenrattle on July 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Akzed on July 6, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Sounds like preemptive submission to me.

Gubmint agents are no different than any of us : the same rationale for use of deadly force applies to all.

The disparity of force between them & us is concerning, and would require more thought than just plugging a cop on your doorstep.

LimeyGeek on July 6, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Most people don’t have any idea of the distinction you’re making. That’s why they’re suckered into doing stupid things like voting for a milquetoast affirmative-action poster-boy.

LimeyGeek on July 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM

“…You won’t see your taxes raised a single dime, but rather thousands of dimes.

ConservadorRebelde on July 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Jonestown
Georgetown
Obamacide

Reality Check on July 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Now I want someone to make one of these using O’s constant refrain that there would be “no net spending increase” with his proposed plans.

jeanneb on July 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM

i like Kevin because he tells it like it is.

Key West Reader on July 6, 2009 at 4:23 PM

jeanneb on July 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Jeanne, I’m so sorry to break this to you, but you were lied to. Think about it. How many times, in your life, since you were born, were you flat out lied to?

For me, I’d say four times. I’ll spare you the details because woman to woman, I think that’s the way it should be.

Now… as it concerns Obama? That dude has lied through his teeth, his lips, his head, his ears and through his zipper. He’s a fake, a fraud and I, Like you, sit here and wwonder… WTF?

Well, all I can count on is … nothing. He lied to all of us. I’m not sure what I can wait for or what I can expect. All I know is that I’m still here, in the same place I was two and a half years ago. Still on welfare, still standing in lines. Still wondering when my help and hope will come. The time grows short, and the wind grows harder. He aint’ no savior. He ai’nt coming to help me or my children. He’s just a lie.

Key West Reader on July 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Key West Reader on July 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM

My mother stood in the Welfare lines durint the Nixon Admin. It was during those times, in those lines, that I defined myself. I have a photo of myself with Diana Ross. Funny.

I only tempted welfare once. During the early 80′s; I bet my friends that I could get through and get something for nothing. I ended up with a block of cheese.

As a teenager, we raided the Twiny Factory. We ate ho ho’s and donuts and paid for milk using food stamps. It was such a joke.

At least I know now, what I should have Knwn then.

/Against the Wind.

Key West Reader on July 6, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Great job Kevin. Send it to the GOP and get it on some tvs across the fruited plains! We as you said, “need to connect the dots”. We need to do this ASAP so it will aid us as we try to defeat the upcoming legislation on Death Star Care.

freeus on July 6, 2009 at 5:03 PM

The O-Bots will still give him a pass. We’re talking at least 40% of the nation. There’s about 10-20% of the nation that can be swayed and shown the truth, an alternative to this walking talking disaster that this nation so foolishly elected last year.

Yakko77 on July 6, 2009 at 5:54 PM

What an embarrassing video. If you are going to take the time out of your day to make something, wouldn’t you make sure that you aren’t putting out a video with your cursor in the middle of every clip? Embarrassing.

thphilli on July 6, 2009 at 8:33 PM