Ready for EnviroCops?

posted at 7:22 pm on July 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Whether the British public is ready or not, here come the EnviroCops.  The Times of London reports that simply selling carbon credits hasn’t been enough to keep companies from potentially violating carbon-emissions limits.  Now they will send green-jacketed police to monitor their operations:

The agency is creating a unit of about 50 auditors and inspectors, complete with warrant cards and the power to search company premises to enforce the Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC), which comes into effect next year.

Decked out in green jackets, the enforcers will be able to demand access to company property, view power meters, call up electricity and gas bills and examine carbon-trading records for an estimated 6,000 British businesses. Ed Mitchell, head of business performance and regulation at the Environment Agency, said the squad would help to bring emissions under control. “Climate change and CO2 are the world’s biggest issues right now. The Carbon Reduction Commitment is one of the ways in which Britain is responding.”

The formation of the green police overcomes a psychological hurdle in the battle against climate change. Ministers have long recognised the need to have new categories of taxes and criminal offences for CO2 emissions, but fear a repetition of the fuel tax protests in 2000 when lorry drivers blockaded refineries.

The central unit, based in Warrington, Cheshire, can call on the agency’s national network of hundreds of pollution inspectors, many of whom will soon be trained in CO2 monitoring.

It will also be able to demand energy bills from utilities without the companies under investigation knowing they are being watched.

Of course, the British authorities do not have a Fourth Amendment to limit them, but even this may be a bit much for Brits to swallow.  Green-jacketed inspectors can descend on any business at any time and demand access to facilities.  They can look up utility bills without even informing the business.  Not for nothing did George Orwell set 1984 in Great Britain.

How long after we pass cap-and-trade will the US see the arrival of green-jacketed EnviroCops?  Probably more quickly than the British did.  The entire point of cap-and-trade is to punish those who dare release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, and slapping an artificial-shortage system on an almost unmeasurable process will guarantee fraud as well as genuine lack of capability for compliance.  Fines will accrue even more revenue to the federal government.  The big question is whether Congress will bother adhering to our Fourth Amendment, or simply stick with the British invasion-of-privacy plan for better “efficiency”.

Michelle says now is the time to stop cap-and-tax, and she has the numbers to call in the Senate.

Comments

get ready-just a start a very small start

allrsn on July 7, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Can they claw their way back from the brink, or has the loss of private arms made that impossible? (And no, I’m not suggesting violence, but you have to admit that an armed populace is a powerful deterrent to would-be tyrants.)

Animator Girl on July 6, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Remember, without the 2nd amendment you won’t have a 1st amendment or any other for very long.

Spiritk9 on July 7, 2009 at 3:23 AM

Green-jackets Ed?

Try Brown-shirts. That’s what I’m thinking, anyway.

Lord knows the environmental impact of this creeping fascism isn’t measurable, but the increase in fascism is.

BKennedy on July 7, 2009 at 7:04 AM

I picture scores of ugly women and weasly 98lb men running around screaming “Citizens arrest, citizens arrest” ala Barney Fife

Jeff from WI on July 7, 2009 at 7:20 AM

In NYC, I just got a $25 fine from the garbage police…
JiangxiDad on July 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Here are the rules
Comrade JiangxiDad. You vill commit them to memory. Actually, I would love, say, O’Reilly to set up an interview with Mayor Bloomberg, and then spring a garbage test on him to see if he knows his own flipping rules.

Orwell’s 1984 Junior Spies recruitment is well underway in the UK.
burnitup on July 6, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Unreal. We are all climate criminals now. Did you see the climate crime cards?

“Have you spotted anyone heating up more water than they actually need?”

It’s a “crime” to boil a pot of water for one cup of tea, which I guess means that you must live in communal housing with communal kitchens in order to get a flipping cup of tea or coffee. Very Chairman Mao.

Also, dirty windows are a climate crime! And don’t leave your windows open to let in cool, fresh air!

Buy Danish on July 7, 2009 at 8:12 AM

That Damn obumbler dude! Guess I can’t burn my used motor oil anymore.

0321_GUY on July 7, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Yesterday I received an offer from my electric power company for a $25/year credit if I will allow them to install ‘Energy Wise’ to ‘communicate’ with my air conditioner, which, according to them, is “a way (I) can take action for a cleaner, more reliable energy future”.

This device monitors air conditioner energy usage and it allows the power company to “cycle power off and on to your air conditioner compressor” at times of their choosing, “at 10 to 15 minute intervals…typically between 1 and 7 pm”.

A major step in the overall plan to limit our energy usage? Looks like it to me.

maryo on July 7, 2009 at 8:16 AM

maryo on July 7, 2009 at 8:16 AM

In safer, saner times, I might allow “Energy Wise”, but not now, with our liberty so under assault. I’ll fight any monitoring of my energy usage tooth and nail.

petefrt on July 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I’m with you, petefrt!

maryo on July 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM

This opens up a brand new field for bribery. Where do I sign up for a green jacket.

Kissmygrits on July 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Those climate criminal cards are both scary and petty. And in some cases just dangerous. We’ve been told for years that letting food cool before putting it in the fridge or freezer was a left-over from the days of actual ice boxes (hot foods would make the ice melt faster), and that one is much less likely to get food poisoning from left-overs if they are put away immediately. But with all that free NHS health care, I guess food poisoning is cheaper! And if you die, your carbon footprint suddenly gets a lot smaller! It’s a win-win!

And of course there’s a typo on the “clean the windows” card. How does unplugging the phone charger let more light in?

I suppose the one possible benefit from this idiocy if it comes over here, is that we might be able to fight off condo and homeowner’s associations which don’t allow outside clothes lines because they don’t look nice. I really don’t care about being “green”, but I do like to be cheap.

LibraryGryffon on July 7, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I really don’t care about being “green”, but I do like to be cheap.

LibraryGryffon on July 7, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Quote o’ the day.

petefrt on July 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Something you won’t hear an Green-shirted EnviroCop say: Stay out of our bedrooms bathrooms.

Have you witnessed anyone wasting water? For example, did they leave the tap running whilst brushing their teeth? Or, did they have a bath when they could’ve had a shower?

Attention Defense Lawyers: This could be a brilliant excuse for pederasts and Peeping Toms. EnviroOfficer, I was just policing the young boy’s bathing habits. Why are you arresting me? He’s the EnviroCriminal!

Buy Danish on July 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM

The Waxman fiasco includes a 3 minute shower timer. The it goes to 2 minutes? I suspect we will smell the greenest before we see them. By the way. It is 2 days till thursday and all the greenies flush their toilet for the week.

seven on July 7, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Buy Danish on July 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM

School teacher to pupil: Have you witnessed your parents wasting water ?

petefrt on July 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Just wait till they find out about your muscle car from the 1960’s or 1970’s. Then they organize a bus load of CC’s to come to your house to write you up and protest your “Carbon Footprint”.

Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant, it is the food of life.

Liberals are looking to control middle America only. Please note that the poor will always be ignored by the CC, the Upper class will pay lip service and pay off those who bother them, but the middle class will find themselves reported on by their children.

Only a force sufficient to block government and reduce its power to Constitutional limits will solve this.

GunRunner on July 7, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Oh, phew. I thought this Orwellian piece was actually happening here.

Hang on…It’s Al Gore. He wants to check out our utility bills. Now with it being so cold he wants all of us to use less so he can use more.

jdubya on July 7, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Answer = NO, and that’s why I escaped in ‘72.

OldEnglish on July 7, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Right, you escaped to Australia where they already have EnviroCops.

aengus on July 7, 2009 at 3:21 PM